Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 19, 2012 3:51 PM
Jun 2012
After reading through a few posts, its weird to hear people talk about how Roberta shouldn't have been all messed up in the ending. I'm honestly surprised she lived at all. I thought Garcia would have just lied and killed her to everyone but Rock's surprise, and the show goes on. That's basically been the trend so far anyways, just this time Rock would be in control. That sort of ending would have meant Rock stays all evil looking and stuff though, so I thought this ending was appropriate for Rock's character development, especially if they aim to keep him as the "living" character. Getting back to Roberta's disfigurement, it keeps with the kind of disposable "villain" theme, seeing as she won't be kicking any more ass anytime soon and I thought it was appropriate for this show. I mean they shot 2 cannibalistic, multi-personality kids (one which lost his arm and bled out and died, the other seemed like he/she was recovering at least a little before getting shot in the head) one of the seasons, why would the ending be so clean? It was good enough she even lived at all.

I appreciate that everyone is waaaaaaay less overpowered this time. I mean the last season only had one badass on the other side, how does that happen? Glad this OVA made basically all the commandos pretty badass to the point that they could each fight off Roberta for at least a little despite her God hax.

I didn't understand that ending with Roberta and the picture though, I had no idea who those people were.

Also interesting to see Rock try and take out Roanapur, and that he finally saved someone and some people's sanity.

Also that sniper guy who blocked the first pole was badass as hell. Props to him. Wished he lived.
Jul 7, 2012 6:24 PM

Oct 2011
julio55555 said:

I didn't understand that ending with Roberta and the picture though, I had no idea who those people were.

That was the family of a guy roberta killed long ago you know that guy who was appearing in robertas hallucinations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2012 10:46 AM

Jun 2009
I still have many open questions... Hopefully there'll be a third season that shines some light on various things, such as Revy's past. It'd be also fun to see some development in the relationship between Rock and Revy, it's so marginal atm. Although it shouldn't become a romance thing, just wanna see more action there. ^_^
Jul 30, 2012 9:41 PM

Jan 2012
action scenes were badass

other than that... meh
Aug 1, 2012 1:42 PM

Apr 2009
I actually like Rock the way he was there, even though it was only for a brief period of time. I actually really liked the OVA. The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that Roberta did not die in her battle but ended up a cripple for the rest of her life. Maybe Garcia and Roberta herself will be happy with that ending, but I can't see how a true soldier/killer like Roberta should live like that. I personally think she should have gone down gloriously on her own battlefield, even though she went full crazy out there.
The OVA also explored the character's personalities some more, so overall: 9/10

Aug 7, 2012 5:57 AM
Aug 2012
Hi there

I just finished watching this ova... there were some great moments but I can't help but feel that the writing and editing was horribly handled... or perhaps something was just lost in translation? as it was rather confusing and much of it seemed pointless... like Balaikas role or the nude/rape scenes

they seemed to want to have Garcia end up killing Roberta and that ending would have been far better than what they did especially with maiming her which nothing in the anime really gave cause for her to lose an arm/leg/eye (considering how all other characters heal up from far worse)
I can see that they wanted to play up Garcias wish to be Robertas Crutch but that was just ridiculous (considering realism = ridiculous in BL) Especially considering that arm that she lost was uninjured in the final scene and she was using it! to fire at Garcia and to check for the bullet wound from Garcias shot

and what was that at the ending? in regards to the picture and the visitors...??? i read someone saying its the family of that Taisho employee she was having visions of but why on earth would they be visiting her? and was that the US military squad captain there in a Hawaiian shirt? why???
stylinredAug 7, 2012 6:01 AM
Aug 16, 2012 2:18 PM

Jul 2009
amazing stuff O__O

though i have alot of mixed feelings so here it goes.

first it seems Garcia and Fabiola are getting some moments all along.

yay we get to see Revy's past!!!!

i definitely can understand why she's angry towards family relations etc.

it's definitely not a good picture burned in her memory.

Classic Roberta Maid Outfit!!!!!!

Garcia vs Roberta moment was intense!!!!!

the kiss with roberta was beautiful ^^

i was surprise fabiola didn't get jealous or something.

im glad Revy and Fabiloa kick rock's ass.

this idiot think he can just do what he wants all of a sudden.

Kohei_no_kimi said:
Too be honest, I really enjoyed the OAV ending, much more than the manga's for several reasons :

- It gave more credit to the Grey Fox ( and by extension to Balalaika's soldiers since they could keep up with them )
Even if Roberta was such an exceptional fighter, the Grey Fox were a special military unit, it didn't make much sense to have them defeated that easily in the manga by one single woman.

- I still think that they went too far in butchering Roberta but it was more « Black Lagoon-like », you know... plenty of action with a sudden depressing ending like with the twins and the yakuza girl.

- And more importantly the OVA ending set things straight between Rock and Revy.
I don't know what was possessing Rock all along but he spent the arc playing the bad boy, playing people, bullying kids and everything just worked out fine for him in the manga with him not even realizing how lucky he had been ( I mean who knows what Balalaika 'd have done to the Grey Fox if Caxton hadn't won her respect, for example ).

Revy was too much passive in front of Rock for my taste ( the scene with Rock laying in her own bed like some badass dandy while she was staring down in the shower was just horrible ). It suddenly was like Revy was Rock's underlying, her leg had been sliced open in the Japan's arc and now she got shot twice for the sake of Rock's plan ? WTH ?! It was the right thing to do to support Rock in front of Fabiola, since she was just an outsider, but Revy actually never brought Rock back to Earth in the manga. I completely enjoyed that in the OVA, Revy finally woke up from her daze to give Rock a lesson and somehow reminded him that she was his guide in Roanapura and not the other way around.

agree, still it was too much for them to make Roberta like that.

yeah rock was acting like an ass and minding everyone's business.

he should have stayed in japan tbh with you.

i hate that douche, in the first episode he was soo scared and scar'd and doesn't want nothing to do with this, then all of a sudden he's enjoying this laughing like stupid clown who think's he's gonna win this.

just as Chang said, hypocrites are the worst kind.

as the other's said, the Major went all over and find the family of the engineer Roberta killed in this past episodes.

i hope the Major and Garcia/Roberta are in good terms now, he doesn't look like he's working with them, but it's good for them to visit from time to time.

i feel sorry for Roberta, i mean she is definitely scar'd for life, still i think she had enough of her battles

CyborgNinja said:
Turjake said:
They did not change the ending of her arc at all. The extra pages where she is shown in wheelchair weren't in the monthly chapters but added when the volume was released. Which is the reason they aren't in the scanlations.

Just to clarify, it is true that there were extra pages in the tankobon release of volume 9 of the manga that weren't in the magazine, but they didn't show Roberta in that pitiful state (at least she looked pretty unharmed to me).

Here is what I'm talking about:

Anyway, I pretty much liked the way the producers animated this arc, and although they had to remove some scenes, they weren't crucial to the story. The only thing I found disappointing was the fact that they literally butchered Roberta at the end. I understand that they wanted to make Roberta seem less indestructible than in the manga and show us that even she can take damage, but I think they went too far.

i actually like this change, i mean yes Roberta is a killing machine, but she is still human after all, still i agree with others that they could have toned down a bit by not letting her lose one of her limbs, fingers, just the eye and scrape all over her body is good enough.

AICW said:
The conversations between Eda and her CIA boss, Rock and Revy, and Rock and Dutch at the end are absent from the manga. Unfortunately, the manga's conversation between Rock and Mr. Chang is missing.

(The people at the ending are the family of the Japanese man Roberta killed years ago, the man she kept on hallucinating. Apparently Major Caxton went to find them and brought them to the Lovelace household.)

such a shame it didn't get animated :(

there seem to be a good amount of information they had discussed.

though it was only 5 episode so im guessing they needed at least 2-3 more to fully convert it.

Xagzan said:

Well, with any luck Funimation could do an alternate ending when they get to the dub

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUUUUUUUUUUCK

get that funi shit out of here. stick to localizing and don't bother changing things up.

it's a shame they change a good amount on this, still amazing episode.

only disappointing is that we didn't get to see Eda(and her group) Yolanda, Balalika had little role in the end(though the last one was amazing)

Revy and Black Lagoon was mostly on the sidelines on this, but it's fine since we were able to spend time with other characters outside of Lagoon.

definitely became one of my favorites, i really love the story, watch season 1+2 last week and finish Omake and Roberta's Blood Trail in one go.

amazing stuff, guess if i want another Black Lagoon anime/manga(damn it why the hiatus T___T) i could always watch Gunslinger Girl, Jormungand, or even rewatch Hellsing Ultimate since it's been awhile since i last watched one(stuck at Ep 7)

please Season 3 with this kind of animation and quality!!!!!!!!!!

see you next time Roanapur!!!!!

BANG!!!!!!!

SomaHeirAug 16, 2012 2:34 PM
Aug 30, 2012 6:08 PM

Jun 2012
well this ova's where really good to me even to think i didn't understand some parts or actualy many in some way it made me keep paying atention so they thit a great job for me.

some say they didn't like roberta to get so ****ed up but actualy it was all good since she deserved it and make it more realistic only a normal human wouldn't survive her wounds. also she stil got some one who loves her and in the end you see the family of the japenese man who she kilt and halusinated about so in other words they came to forgive or something like that she had a normal life back only whit out one arm a few fingers and a eye.

private108 said:
I havn't read the Manga, but the episode's / OVA's were very good in my opinion. Did get confused sometimes, but after re-thinking it made quite some sense.

As for Rock...

In the 2nd season the Japanese girl told him certain stuffs, about him beeing in the twilight and such, if I can remember correctly. Also, I think she said things like Rock beeing too kind / nice and things like that, and that the things he did for work did not suit him at all. (The maffia / drug and etc things) Although I am not sure if that's exactly what she said, I should rewatch season 2 for that, but I can't be bothered at the moment.

Eitherway.. I think because of what I listed above, the reason for Rock's behaviour in these OVA's was because of the end of season 2. Rock is a nice and good person at heart, but I think he realized that he had to become the bad guy in order to achieve his goal. He had to sacrifice his good personality and endure the killing and such in order to make his plan come to work, and that was to make Roanaprur (or whatever the name was.. bad at remembering names <__<) a safer and better place.

Unfortunately, it did not work at a scale he had desired for, eventhough how noble his goal/cause was. (That's the way how I see it atleast, because what evil or bad person would want to make a city become a better place?)

The reason I think why he still acted bad-ass towards Revy in the end was probably cause he might have thought Revy understood his intentions. And might have thought she would be happy because of it. But she didn't understand his motivation / objective and such, probably, and thus getting pissed off on him.

This is the way of how I think/see for what reason Rock decided to become 'bad'.
Just felt like saying how I understood the ending and progress of these 5 OVA's.

And since I got no one else to discuss it with, I just had to post a comment and share my thoughts about the OVA's / ending with you guys and girls.

Also, My apologies for any amazingly lame grammar fails and such. Did my best to make it 'understand able'.

thanks alot that certainly made sense to me now i think i can understand the parts that i didn't understand at all
RobertovkDec 21, 2013 7:23 AM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Sep 20, 2012 12:05 PM

Sep 2012
Roberto get nearly killed here... I know that it's more impressive to put a lot of blood, but how many bullets did she take ?
Oct 12, 2012 9:07 PM

Nov 2011
Tbh, I didn't really like these OVA episodes. I thought it would be a bit better when Roberta first debuted in season 1. Oh well.

Not much else to say here really and was looking forward to a big rematch duel in these episodes between Roberta and Revy again. Didn't happen so...

7/10. I'll just be generous here as I'm a fan of Black Lagoon.
Oct 17, 2012 11:05 PM

Oct 2010
I give it i guess a 7/10. First time i liked that hypocritical pussy Rock. He should play the bad guy role much.
Oct 22, 2012 6:42 PM
Apr 2008
Well I finally got around to watching this since I couldn't wait any longer for the dub.

Gotta say I really liked it, this is probably my favorite arc of Black Lagoon.

I felt they portrayed the American soldiers really well, not only making them really bad ass but gave them some emotion and character unlike a lot of times when they are stereotyped fodder. I didn't expect for one minute during the entire OVA that Caxton would not only end up living but end up helping Roberta so much. I feel bad for the one sniper who blocked Roberta’s spike shot with his gun, that guy was a boss.

Speaking of badassary I like how many of the characters other than the OP Revy/Shenue/Roberta etc, were badass. The playing field was more level and made the fighting much more intense.

I thought Rock's diversion to a darker side was good. It shows he has what it takes to be a good boss/villain, but he still does what he does for what he believes is the greater good. He is too reckless and willing to bet too much causing sacrifices but he still holds onto his good nature. He isn't a bad guy, but I think he knows he has to become one in order to do good things.

I wasn't sure what was up with Garcia and Roberta and that kiss, maybe something is lost in translation to me, either from a Japanese or a Spanish perspective but I think I got the wrong idea from what was going on there. Is Garcia in love with Roberta, or does he just love her as family?

Revy and Rocks relationship took an interesting point. Before this it was obvious Revy had feelings for Rock, but not so much the other way around. The fact that Revy walks nude around Rock shows that they have something going on, Rock doesn't act surprised or caring at all, which means it’s a common occurrence. I highly doubt she walks around the ship like that in front of Benny or Dutch (or maybe she does in which case my opinion is entirely wrong). At the very least if they don’t have something going on Rock has to be aware of her feelings. So we go from possibly finding out they got something going on, to Fabiola telling Revy that she doesn’t actually care for Rock, it’s a good dynamic.

I’m exciting to see what Rei Hiroe brings to the table now that he has hinted at starting Black Lagoon again.

Speaking of that which manga chapters have NOT been animated? I haven’t read the manga (I heard it was subpar in comparison), but I’d like to read what I haven’t watched.

- EDIT

I'd like to comment on Roberta being jacked up in the end, compared to the manga, and about her arm. I'm going to say this, I think it’s fine. There is no way Garcia is going to let her go insane again, it isn't going to matter if she can still be a badass or not. It also is possible if they really wanted to make her badass still, so what she has a fake leg, she still has one good arm, she was accurately shooting 50 caliber shots one handed, she doesn't need both arms to be badass. About her arm though, I have no idea why it is missing, but I can see why they did it. It HAD been shot quite a few times and even though she is using it in the end (when she’s all messed up on pills/adrenaline/bloodlust mind you) its very possible that it was injured enough to cause infection that would need to be amputated. She had her leg shot with a sniper rifle and fought on (running and crawling and jumping) for a good time with a freakin' sniper shot in her leg, so it’s not out of the possibility that her arm was shot up really good and she was still using it in the end.
HelltechOct 22, 2012 6:52 PM
Dec 19, 2012 10:11 AM

Jan 2012
I'm angry at myself for watching these ovas. This was an eyesore. I don't remember Black Lagoon being a mecha show, but all i saw in season 3 was an immortal cyborg running around killing proffesional soldiers with a musket. Thank God it's over.

Mar 12, 2013 5:10 PM

Aug 2012
This episode is great :] it change my mind 8/10 into 9/10 but still...I hope they make a season 3 there are some question I didn't understand or missing in the story....

Note : I didn't impressed to rock T_T feels liked I have high expectations from him but it didn't achieved...
wvrMar 12, 2013 5:15 PM
Mar 14, 2013 5:23 AM

Feb 2011
Awesome , animation was win and wow at the end Roberta was a mess . Anyway 10.10 entertaining OVAs
Mar 19, 2013 8:25 PM

Aug 2008
this was soo boring too much talking, too much trying to look badass...
Apr 13, 2013 4:54 AM
Apr 2011
The manga has restarted again and remember Roberta is not maimed. If the author decides to make another Roberta arc, Madhouse may not animate the arc at all. So in the end we all lose because of the stupid deviation from the original plot. Fuck Madhouse.
May 22, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2013
Actually I think the ending is very fitting for series, there is always someone lost and things go on as they used to. In the end no one is really saved or anything major is achieved...

I think Revy just like to take her own frustration on Rocky. She can't really express them in otherways, part of it might be disagreement of what he does. But main thing is her own state...

I quite like Rocky being mastermind schemer, he needs to have some power even if he don't make it. I would get rather bored if he didn't have the means, for his goals and just was passively dragged around.
Jul 28, 2013 10:21 PM
May 2013
Anyone else regret watching this? It was fantastic but god damn...it's depressing to think there probably will never be more Black Lagoon.
Aug 9, 2013 11:06 AM

May 2012
nintendont said:
Anyone else regret watching this? It was fantastic but god damn...it's depressing to think there probably will never be more Black Lagoon.

Same here man, I should've stopped at season 2... Revy scenes in Ep. 5 hit me right in the damn feels...
Aug 10, 2013 3:53 AM

Nov 2010
i agree the ending couldv been better but im still giving this a 10/10 because the action was awesome, Roberta is my waifu, and damn waiting all those years for the English dub to come out was extremely worth it. idc what people say, Black Lagoon is meant to be watched in English. Revy and her constant f-bombs crack me up. not to mention it has some of my other favorite voice actors. well as i said 10/10 i love this over the top violence and great English voice acting. I'll definitely be showing this to some of my friends.

shame it was only five 30 min eps :(
Aug 11, 2013 9:13 PM

Jun 2012
Tabitha St. Germain's performance as Roberta was fantastic, so much emotion and badass rage, what a great English dub. The ending pissed me off though, it's not bad, but I think Roberta suffered enough, and I only get angrier when I read the manga... cause if the ending of this would have just been the same as the canonical ending from the manga, these OVAs would have been 10/10 perfect, because the manga's ending was freakin' great.
Aug 12, 2013 1:00 AM
Jul 2013
What a series! amazing gunslinging and story all in one and everyone somehow has a happy ending who woulda thought. To be honest Rock was a monster that thinks he can change things but honestly...he'll always be a pawn because the house always wins. we know hotel moscow has major pull but obviously the triad showed their teeth along with the us army.

When it comes down to it chang won the bet i believe and this ova proved more then enough he's not a man to be messed with.
I give this a rating of 10 i think this is perfected action and storytelling in the world of crime. I honestly want more ova's like this!
Aug 14, 2013 1:42 PM

Sep 2011
That massacre was helluva fun to watch! Though Roberta is now fked up both mentally AND physically! D: Hopefully she recovers back to her old self, and by the way the ending looked, I'm sure she is on her way to. :)
Aug 23, 2013 2:11 AM

Oct 2012
it was okay but there should have been more than 5 episodes
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 29, 2013 10:57 PM

May 2010
Lol so why did Rock say he won against Mr.Chang?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 31, 2013 9:28 AM
Aug 2011
Didn't quite understand the context. It has been more than a year since I finished the original series. A little recap in the beginning would be better.

7/10.
Oct 4, 2013 2:50 AM
Sep 2011
I thought it was okay if somewhat disappointing while watching but after having some time to think on it i think this was a terrible OVA.

First, the main reason i watch black lagoon is for Revy and she was entirely inconsequential in this. She might as well not have been there.

Second, the action made no sense. Black lagoon is at its best when it has realistically styled fights. Yeah they do things normal people couldnt do but they still play out with some logic. They might as well have been rolling dice to determine outcomes in this one. At one point Revy and crew run straight at the enemies who are all firing automatic weapons at her. She doesnt run evasively or kill them quickly. Just somehow runs in a straight line at a bunch of people firing assault rifles at her and is of course unharmed. The soldiers all manage to miss her AND all the other people in a narrow hallway.

Roberta jumps out of a window and the main grey fox guy shoots at her as she is hanging in the air. He manages to miss a target literally falling on his head and yet he is some badass. In the forest 2 people decide "screw tactics and im just gonna run at her in a straight line firing all my bullets". Does she maybe use cover or do some acrobatic evasive maneuver? No she just stands there and tanks it. Why? She should have only taken 3 hits in the episode but she just acts totally dumb and ends up super crippled (and really should be dead, you dont just live through getting shot 30+ times). Also totally insane that grey fox didnt have more support.

Third, Rock. I have no problem with him being more evil and trying to manipulate people. That is totally fine. However, there are 2 ways to be a manipulative mastermind. Either have tons of leverage so people have to go along with you or be trustworthy. He seemed to go out of his way to look as untrustworthy as possible. That is dumb. Look at say lelouch from code geass. Everyone thinks he is nice and caring and truly sympathizing with the japanese people for the majority of the show yet he was just manipulating everyone and was arguably totally evil. Thats how its done. You dont walk up to children you just had traumatized with an evil look on your face and hand them a gun and then say creepy things to them. That makes people not want to go along with your plans and he of all people should know that.

Also all of his plans were bad. Like literally every single one of them. They either relied on sooooo much coincidence or only worked due to outside influence that he said he hadnt predicted. For instance why did revy need to get shot? That did nothing to help his plans and if i was revy id be pretty damn pissed. Also why not tell revy what the plan was? His goal all along was to help the americans succeed in thier mission. What does he do? Immediately sends Revy to kill the americans. What possible purpose did that serve? All he needed to do was stop roberta from killing the americans.

It would have made a lot more sense to send revy to support the americans. He was also soooo lucky that the head FARC guy didnt kill roberta. He was also soooo lucky that Garcia just happened to get seperated from fabiola AND get rescued by the americans. Not sure why fabiola didnt send garcia in the direction of revy and crew. That seems a lot safer then in some unscouted direction that did in fact have tons of hostiles.

All in all it was a classic idiot plot. If everyone didnt act mindbogglingly stupid at the exact right times everything would have happened differently. Roberta likely would have gotten the drop on the americans that ended up rescuing garcia if he hadnt been up there to distract her. And the americans wouldnt have linked up with garcia or lagoon. Although all rock had to do was send a message over the radio instead of that incredibly circuitous plan he used.

On a positive note it was nice how the grey fox unit was portrayed. They were totally effective and smart and seemed like really nice guys opting to save the kid and even let him get revenge. Although that one losing discipline at the end and just running straight at roberta isnt something i expect to see from some super elite unit.

Im very unsure of what chang's plan was. Its clear that the success of the american mission had virtually no effect on him so why did he care. I guess he didnt. Since he has the CIA's backing i dont know why he would care about the americans having a fight in roanapoar. Especially seeing how a fight did erupt in roanapoar and it was just business as usual afterwards. Rock kept acting like everything was going according to his master plan and they were all puppets dancing before him but his grand plan was to give the americans a boat ride. What a badass.

I have no clue why grey fox was in raonapoar in the first place. Their mission wasnt there. Seems like waiting somewhere closer makes more sense. I also have problems with roberta being out of commission in anime but not manga. Seems dumb to write it that way. What happens if the manga brings her back? I dont see why switching to realism randomly at the end after long huge bouts of utter nonsense is somehow desirable. Maybe if the fights were executed in a more realistic fashion like jormungand it might have made sense but it feels off to come back to reality randomly at the end especially at the cost of going directly against the manga.
(placeholder sig)
Oct 9, 2013 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
so all Chang wanted was to put the shits up the Americans via Roberta, and Rock just wanted to... not put the shits up them quite as much. Hard to tell who won exactly.

Right?

Why did they head to Cambodia again? And why was FARC with them in Roanapur? I think it was explained but only skimmed over.

Was ok, hoped for more action and/or plot exposition, got a tad of both.
Oct 17, 2013 7:09 PM
Jun 2013
Was a bit confusing with Rock's plan and all but i actually enjoyed the OVA. I especially liked the action scene in the forest and seeing what would happen next. I think Chang's plan was for the Americans to loose, and Rock thought he was smart by letting the kid interferre with Changs plan by winning over Roberta and thus saving the Americans but i still don't understand how both plans would benefit him or Chang? Seems a bit rushed to me, lots of unanswered questions.

Fuck i don't understand how Roberta got injured in the forest, yet in the city where she got shot countless number of times, not a scatch. But overall i rate this a 8.4/10 because i enjoyed the story overall.

Chur.
Oct 18, 2013 8:28 PM

Apr 2012
yeah I think Chang wanted to dissuade the US from interfering with his drugs operation, frightening them away from the city by using someone who everyone knew didn't live there anyway, and was only there because the US team was there to begin with.

Everyone else had to kill each other because... more action for the plot!

Rock wanted to spoil Chang's plans by not killing the US off entirely, meaning they... would come back and crack down on the drugs trade and all the gangs? Seems like a Pyrrhic victory really but idk.
Also he wanted to prevent innocents getting caught up in the violence, by doing just that, grinning maniacally all that while.

As I understand it.
Nov 13, 2013 12:58 PM

Mar 2009
Great ending to on of the best series ever! I don't know if they'll continue on once more manga is out, but if not it was a truly fitting ending!

And pure genius dubbing! I wasn't sure if they cast could capture the same feelings from the series, as it's been so long since they originally dubbed it. On the contrary, I believe the did even better on the OVA!

Urahara Out!!
Nov 13, 2013 11:12 PM

Mar 2012
I don't get why Fabiola and Garcia were pissed with Rock for, I mean..you kids got what you asked for right? Otherwise, why did you ask him to help you in the first place?

Anyway...after thinking about it, I really didn't like the plot at all, because it tried to be way more involved and complicated than it really was. I liked the OVA in terms of how badass it was, but I think the OVA takes away what defined Black Lagoon in the 2 seasons, and distances itself from it.

In terms of what actually happened, I don't really understand how she didn't get any scratches at all in the city, but in the forest and not at point blank range like in the city, she's fucked up beyond recognition. It just didn't make sense, and I suppose it has a lot to do with the differences between the manga ending, and another one of Madhouse's wonderfully devised endings (sarcasm).

I'm a major fan of the series, but I think if you look past all the flashyness of the animation and the fights, there's not much to this OVA, but no less I did enjoy it in some weird way. 8/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Dec 9, 2013 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah the ending to this sucked pretty hard. Everything took a very confusing turn when we got to this episode. Why did the Americans let Roberta live? What was Rock really trying to get out of this? What did Chang and Balaliakia have to do with any of this crap? It pisses me off when I watch an anime and it does so well, but then when it gets to the ending it completely fucks itself over and becomes a mass of confusing nonsense which leaves me wondering just what in the hell happened (after all the ending is one of the most important things to an anime/movie/series). I also hate how Rock just admits he failed again when he did indeed have Roberta survive the whole ordeal. I was liking the change in Rock during this OVA and how he became cold and cunning, then at the end he just whimpers out and feels like he accomplished nothing. Speaking of which, Roberta didn't even get her revenge, the Grey Fox commander was able to survive the whole mess and suddenly when he gets back up after the fake murder by Garcia, Roberta just lets it slide by like it was no fucking deal.

Ugh, I hate how this OVA was so cool until all the factions, deals, schemes, plots, and big super complex plans came into play. Also, what was Edna's deal with all this? Who's fucking side was she even on? What was her role in all of this? God damnit this OVA does one thing and one thing only, confuse the hell out of me. I am very dissapoint.
Dec 18, 2013 10:54 AM

Feb 2013
This OVA was alright. I really hope Roberta doesn't show up anymore. I know the action is over the top but when Roberta is involved it just gets stupid.

6/10
Dec 24, 2013 1:32 PM

May 2012
While i found Rock's descent into criminal mastermind pretty far fetched and out of character, i overall really did enjoy this miniseries. Roberta's madness being my favorite part! And it was heart wrenching seeing Revy's origins...

But if the beginning of this season is any indication, the next season will most likely pick up right where this one left off so i guess i can deal with yet ANOTHER open ending... Though it's gonna be tough to wait for a future season that's not gonna come for a while.
Dec 27, 2013 6:19 PM

Aug 2013
Took me a while to understand Rock's plan, but yeah. These OVA's were fucking A.

I don't get why people are complaining of Rock's characterization. It's bloody character development, people. He's spent his entire life in a safe little bubble, and it's no surprise his perspective would slowly change when put into a more dangerous environment. Hell, it makes him more human the way I see it.
Side note, I think Brad Swailie really upped his performance as Rock. That mainly comes from the fact that he also voiced Light Yagami xD
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jan 7, 2014 4:06 PM
Jul 2012
Heh, i don't really know what to say about the ending or the plan, but it's awesome!

Damn, actually know that one scene with Revy's flashback after accidentally clicked the spoiler of it back before it was dubbed. That was fucked up right there. But, the ending quote on what she said was great. I thought they will totally do the same with Cowboy bebop type of endings again like in last two seasons when Rock thought he will say"Bang." lol.

StillSwingin007 said:

Side note, I think Brad Swailie really upped his performance as Rock. That mainly comes from the fact that he also voiced Light Yagami xD

Yeah, I definitely agreed on this. This is even better than with Light, but that is still good too though I think as Rock is even better.

That ending of Roberta what she looked like was quite cute.

Got to be one of the best ova I ever saw. Totally entertaining from beginning to end. Once again, well worth the dub voice acting. 9.5/10 Loved it!
Jan 15, 2014 3:21 AM

Jul 2013
what??!! Revy got raped?? fuck that cop man...

This is a great anime... it deserves 9/10 but.. I'm just disappointed at 1 thing... no Rock X Revy??!!.... not even a kiss??.. fuck! I was really hoping for that.. I mean everyone did that.. Benny got some.. even that kid, Garcia.... oh man...

8/10.. the highest score I've given an OVA.
Feb 4, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2013
Awesome finale, really intense hunting scene Roberta had there,but why did she lose limbs that were not even damaged that bad?. great OVA overall but there should have been more than 5 episodes.
Mar 14, 2014 10:06 AM
Jun 2013
I dont get the rock hate. It felt like more of an act he was pulling off then actually being evil.He wants to try to do good cause he still has morals but he had to act evil to get it through.Besides that it was an overall great ova I hope more comes whenver the manga starts up again.

Also im surprised noone is talking about the kiss. It came off a bit weird. I mean does he love her like that or is it a family type kiss since some families do that. Left me rather confused. Also if they really wanted roberta to come back all they need to say is she got prostectics and learned to use them.
Mar 31, 2014 1:09 AM
Dec 2013
can someone please explain why the last part of the ova had to deviate so greatly from the manga? roberta wasnt even injured badly in the manga at the end of this fiasco, yet in the 5th ova, shes lost her right eye, two fingers on her right hand, she lost her left arm, right leg, & is in a wheel chair. In the manga however, at chapter 76.5, page 26, roberta is seen standing, and in perfect health alongside garcia going to meet the family of the engineer she killed years ago that haunted her. why did the beautiful ova's 5th episode have to shred roberta of all her power?!?!?!?!?!
Apr 1, 2014 6:23 PM

Jun 2013
Disappointing. Unfinished. Lack of closure. Left nothing to the imagination, yet the final scenes had no striking or memorable moments. Feels like a 15th episode of a 25 episode series.

Luckily for this disappointing finale and short OVA, the action and visuals were enough to keep it from being garbage, so a decent 7/10.
Apr 2, 2014 2:21 AM

Oct 2013
4/5

Didn't like that Roberta got injured that badly but still nice to see her back at the mansion and meeting the engineers family.

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
Apr 3, 2014 5:25 AM
Aug 2011
Revy and Rock are so much more fun when they are not at odds to the level they were in this OVA series.

It was a fun ride but I enjoy twilight Rock the best.
Apr 8, 2014 4:16 PM
Nov 2012
StillSwingin007 said:
Took me a while to understand Rock's plan, but yeah. These OVA's were fucking A.

I don't get why people are complaining of Rock's characterization. It's bloody character development, people. He's spent his entire life in a safe little bubble, and it's no surprise his perspective would slowly change when put into a more dangerous environment. Hell, it makes him more human the way I see it.

Yeah. I like Rock doing something rather than just curling up in a ball as a passive by stander. He's smart, can read people and a little cunning but maintains some weird set of ideals. In the end, he thought he knew all the players and could get an outcome that both saved the maid and hampered all these organizations operating in the dark. Turns out the CIA was playing a deeper game.

A few more episodes might have helped flesh that larger dynamic out but we got what we needed which was character development. Rock's a social guy and interacts with all these big shots and now is having his own gravitational pull on events. Revy for her part loves Rock for "not changing" and is always a little afraid that he'll become a cynic like her. I thought the maid made some good points.

And then we got some confusing and more anime-esque action than some of the other episodes but it wasn't eggregious and all in all it was fun.

It's a really solid anime. Seeing some of the complaints, I can imagine some of the shit anime pumped out these days is affecting people's tastes.
Apr 23, 2014 9:54 PM

Apr 2014
I really enjoyed the series, although the last episode confused me a little bit at the very end. Overall i really liked it! I liked how Rock was a bit more dark but i feel like Revy wasn't being her self entirely, like normally if anyone said anything that pissed her off she'd bug out and threaten to blow there fucking brains out but she was more lax and more squishy compared to the previous episodes while rock became more cold(witch i don't mind, its nice seeing him not be all cry baby n hiding in the corner lol).

Overall i'd give it a 4 or 4.5/5. They can still continue the series(witch i'd love!) or end it here, i think it was a decent way to end it.

Edit:P.s. Now i finally understand why people were always saying when i was growing up that they started smoking cause it looked cool, this anime was the only thing that ever made me think people looked cool smoking lol.

P.s.s. Does anyone have an recommendations of animes that are the same dark feel as Black Lagoon? Like how theirs basically no morality, people just murdering people because there getting paid etc, I've been looking but none seem to have the same dark vibes as BL.(I'd also prefer if its not with like monsters or mystical beasts etc i'm looking for like people people like this show) Thanks! Your help is appreciated! :)
jimbobyooApr 23, 2014 10:01 PM
Apr 27, 2014 9:28 PM

Nov 2013
fucking Rock. This motherfucker went insane in the end. Thank god the manga is not on hiatus anymore so season 3 can happen eventually
May 1, 2014 6:21 PM

Jan 2014
I gotta say i love the way Rock is becoming more crafty and cruel in his ways. I mean being around all this death and murder have to effect to effect you in some way. And hey a show where the mafia and crime is a huge part of the world, I was getting tired of him being all about moral and justice. Was a real good speach Mr. Chang gave him about the hypocrisy!!

"It may smell like a rose, but you can't hide the fact that shit is still shit" - Mr. Chang

And by mention Mr. Chang, I got to say he also got some development I liked. When we first got introduced to him he seem as "friendly" high ranked triad member??? Then we learned he is badass gunslinger(maybe even better than revy as she confesses). And now they showed us he's this dangerous mind pulling the strings who used to be a ex-cop! Hell he even but a bullet in into Balalaika stomach. He seems way more evil than what would first think. Have to say he's my favorite male in this show, because he's is so unpredictable.

To bad we didn't see more of Revy in these episodes. But i do like the we learned something more about her and the relationship she have with Rock.

The insane maid? Perfect. Was a good for the action and the hunt. Else didn't i care to much about her or that little boy.. Hehe was I the only one who just waited for him to get a bullet in head and drop dead like the last vampire-twin(girl?) did?

Anyway this ride was awesome! Really bloody and epic action. The show got a little more complex and had me speculate what each characters true intention was. Love it! For what this show tries to fulfill as badass action-packed show, where it lets you peek inside the dark underworld its a MASTERPIECE.
_HazeMay 1, 2014 6:28 PM
May 14, 2014 7:08 AM

May 2011
Finally did he realise...that the world doesn't revolves around him. Did not like Rock at all throughout this OVA. He got too conceited---as if he could control the outcomes all thanks to his goddamn luck. (In fact, if you haven't realise until now, Rock is the symbolism of luck. Look at episode 2 of season 1 with the torpedo and the midfing) One good thing I realise is that he did not become darkness. Darkness makes one blind, after all. Remaining as the twilight, he can only continue his life of nonchalance, filled with thrills. Ironically. Overall great development with BL. Did not disappoint with the gunfights, and the military discipline portrayed in this OVA. Especially loved the juxtaposition observed between the US Army and the Soviet Army. Let me end off with Balalaika (though she didn't have much screentime... :'( "If we are indeed soldiers of the same calibre, how did we end up so different from your unit?!" 9/10.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Banshee-IV - Mar 11, 2011

108 by As_Time_Allows »»
Jan 24, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Banshee-IV - Jan 9, 2011

138 by As_Time_Allows »»
Jan 23, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Oct 1, 2010

102 by As_Time_Allows »»
Jan 23, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

yakisobapan - Jun 26, 2010

173 by As_Time_Allows »»
Jan 22, 7:23 PM

» Sequel?

Paksh - Nov 5, 2023

15 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.