Forum Settings
Forums

New Anime Gundam AGE To Start This Autumn [Update Jun 13]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 9, 2011 3:08 PM

Sep 2007
Okay, the world's top scientists have until this starts airing to invent a system which generates electricity from rage, and wire it up to /m/.

--

I imagine there's a good business case for doing this, or at least whoever makes the decisions at Bandai & Sunrise think there is. I happen to think that giant robot shows for kids can still be a good time, so there's a chance -- a chance -- that I'll enjoy this.

--

On a tangent, everyone who wants a grim story for adults should remember that giving adults a grim story isn't very challenging -- it's often what they want and expect, after all. What's impressive is giving children a grim story. So go and watch Zambot 3, which is about kids, is for kids, and is nevertheless packed full of civilian deaths, refugee crises, suicide bombings and various other horrible things.
Jun 9, 2011 3:22 PM

Feb 2008
Alright everyone, calm down, take a step back and take a chill pill. It's incredibly funny how many of you are complaining about it being for kids while making very childish remarks. Considering how you all are behaving, perk up, clearly it's meant for you.

That insult aside, while I do believe a cover should be taken into account when deciding to buy a book (the back more so than the front) I must say something that should very easily go without saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

It having a childish look, or even being for kids doesn't automatically make it bad.
Jun 9, 2011 3:26 PM

Jan 2009
I was very excited when I saw "New Gundam to be aired", then looked at the screens...and like everyone else, I'm discouraged because of how childish it looks...But, hopefully it will still be good. I'm willing to give it a try.

And I did just remember an interview from a little while ago (don't remember the source or really care to find it...) but it said something like: Gundam 00 had a large audience that were older and more specifically female, so with the next Gundam they wanted to go back to getting a little younger audience.

Probably read it on MAL or ANN, I remember it was an interview...could be wrong about how I remember that, it was about a year ago.

ANd I'm now a little more excited after reading the ANN article announcing Gundam AGE. The concept seems more original than I thought.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-09/level-5-to-help-create-gundam-age-anime-this-fall
Meh_93Jun 9, 2011 3:32 PM
Jun 9, 2011 3:29 PM
Nov 2008
As a first impression, it does invite concern. The character designs and mecha concept do suggest a show aiming for toyetic kiddy. Also not liking that the new Gundam is basically a barely disguised RX-78-2. At the same time, the story concept sounds interesting if they make the most of it. I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. This doesn't strike me as being quite the envelope pushing the 00 and Unicorn hoped to usher in but this could go quite well. Just because something's aimed at kids doesn't mean it's not capable of being quality entertainment, most of us can attest to that from personal experience.

We still have a War Story and the concept of Father-Son legacies, very Gundam-esce topics to work with. I think it'd be particularly nice to see a positive father-son relationship for once.
Jun 9, 2011 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Oh boy.....this could be trouble. However I'm intrigued now, it is Gundam after all. Let's see what they do with this.
Jun 9, 2011 4:20 PM
Dec 2010
when i saw the tilte it was something like " Oh yeah a new gundam series" but now i'm depressed, maybe i'll give it a chance, i repeat, MAYBE
Jun 9, 2011 5:24 PM

Nov 2008
Hoping the Gunpla for this is going to be nice.
Jun 9, 2011 5:27 PM

Sep 2009
zansabarshadow said:
why wont Gundam die? Gundam is not Son Goku Sunrise.

Because it's making money and people like it.

It wins.
Jun 9, 2011 5:30 PM
Apr 2009
nice news, i was having a convo with my cousin about gundam
and wondered if they would be a new series soon !
good to hear !
Jun 9, 2011 6:02 PM

Dec 2009
You know guys, Gundam has been meant for kids from the very start. I guess except for some of them like SEED and 00 which partly wanted to appeal to fujioshis and War in the Pocket and Stardust that wanted to appeal to an older audience but still.

I mean look at it's origins; Gundam was merchandise-based (still is) off of GUNPLA and toys.
Jun 9, 2011 7:30 PM

Sep 2008
Zahlzeit said:
I guess except for some of them like SEED and 00

So except for the majority of the last decade's Gundam productions.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good point, but I can also appreciate the other perspective. Personally, being in my early twenties, Gundam Seed was around where I jumped on the Gundam bandwagon. I loved Gundam Wing as a child, but I was very young so my memories of it are very poorly formed and informed. I don't really remember a premise so much as I remember thinking robots were awesome.

I pretty legitimately don't tend to think of Gundam as children's television. Family television at best, and even that would be a stretch. It's been ten years since Gundam was anything I would consider children oriented.
Jun 9, 2011 10:09 PM

Apr 2009
Relax faggots. Sunrise only realized that it'll be a while before they think of something that can out-gay 00.
Jun 9, 2011 10:59 PM
Jun 2008
yet my reaction of it right now like going http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVd3dwwW1xQ&feature=related "unleash the casey" over 9000 about it.

really why can't you do like gundam series with main lead female pilot come let a woman do the gundam tv series or crossover to counter DECADE & gokaiger.

or yet bring back GS era cause it the SAVE us of all gundam.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jun 10, 2011 12:24 AM
Oct 2010
i think it might turn out something mindscrew / mindf**** .
starting as "yet another your everyday kids show " and then suddenly something will happen at a certain episode which will change everything forever

or i am expecting too much .

but isn't there is "SD gundam " which looks like kids stuff , have not seen it though
Jun 10, 2011 12:39 AM
Mar 2010
Why do you have to do this to me Sunrise?
Jun 10, 2011 12:57 AM

Sep 2008
theunfettered said:

but isn't there is "SD gundam " which looks like kids stuff , have not seen it though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7Hj5l9oRM

Yep. That's another thing entirely though. I'm quite sure that's not what we're looking at here.
Jun 10, 2011 1:27 AM

Nov 2009
This is not a Gundam. This cannot be a Gundam.
I expected the Crossbone, but... Disappointed completely.
Jun 10, 2011 4:00 AM

Aug 2010
Gangler said:
theunfettered said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7Hj5l9oRM

Yep. That's another thing entirely though. I'm quite sure that's not what we're looking at here.

I agree. SD gundam is more like a parody and shows an entierly different type of Gundam. Chibi type that is. This series shows the general size Gundams, but seemes to use something what kid shows like digimon and megaman have (I don't need to say what it is).

To be honest, I sometimes want to see a different type of Gundam than what has been shown during those 30 years, which was something "A wakening of the trailblazer" did. But I don't want too see Gundam renewed into something like this.
Jun 10, 2011 7:04 AM

May 2009
so now they throw elementary school kids riding gundams into war rather than more older people...whos more mature
mukuro-sama♥ hibari-sama♥fon-sama♥
My top wanted things:
1. Yato umbrellas!!
2. Mukuro's left eye
3. LEON!!! (KHR)
Jun 10, 2011 11:37 AM

Sep 2009
darknessneko said:
so now they throw elementary school kids riding gundams into war rather than more older people...whos more mature

To be fair Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Uso, the Gundam Boys, Kira, Athrun, and Setsuna are all kind of.
Kids?
Jun 10, 2011 11:55 AM

Nov 2008
Sabinlerose said:
darknessneko said:

To be fair Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Uso, the Gundam Boys, Kira, Athrun, and Setsuna are all kind of.
Kids?

They were teenagers which would be good in a new Gundam series, but Sunrise had to stick 4th graders in MS, Gundam was founded by teenage angst with some mature adults as well, it needs to stick to this formula or at least put mature adults in them as main characters, that would be nice as well.

Jun 10, 2011 1:02 PM

Apr 2009
designs don't stand out very much,looks pretty bland.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jun 10, 2011 5:23 PM

Dec 2009
Gangler said:
Zahlzeit said:

Don't get me wrong. It's a good point, but I can also appreciate the other perspective. Personally, being in my early twenties, Gundam Seed was around where I jumped on the Gundam bandwagon. I loved Gundam Wing as a child, but I was very young so my memories of it are very poorly formed and informed. I don't really remember a premise so much as I remember thinking robots were awesome.

I pretty legitimately don't tend to think of Gundam as children's television. Family television at best, and even that would be a stretch. It's been ten years since Gundam was anything I would consider children oriented.
Two out of a huge number of series, original game plots, and novels?
Gundam is caked with some drama here and there but at it's base you ARE watching a show with bright colored mechs with ridiculously young pilots and a lot of "coming of age" plots, a type that is usually meant to appeal to children. Again there are some exceptions but honestly now.
Jun 10, 2011 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
Zahlzeit said:
Gangler said:
Zahlzeit said:

Gundam is caked with some drama here and there but at it's base you ARE watching a show with bright colored mechs with ridiculously young pilots and a lot of "coming of age" plots, a type that is usually meant to appeal to children. Again there are some exceptions but honestly now.

But Gundam also has a lot of mature themes. Lots of people die in all of them. While the main characters may have anti war ideologies in many series, doesn't stop other people from being killed. not really for kids.
Jun 10, 2011 6:48 PM

Sep 2009
jpem said:
But Gundam also has a lot of mature themes. Lots of people die in all of them. While the main characters may have anti war ideologies in many series, doesn't stop other people from being killed. not really for kids.

Or the creators of Gundam don't bother to pretend kids are idiots.
Jun 10, 2011 7:08 PM

Nov 2007
more like Gundam Underage
Jun 10, 2011 7:10 PM
Jun 2011
Hmm first impression about the characters design is....meh :/
BUT
"The new series will have three generations of "father, child, and descendant" as the lead characters. The main characters pilot the Gundam unit to fight against an unknown attacking enemy (UE) and save Earth in a "One Hundred Year War" — an apparent homage to the One Year War of the first Gundam series.

The first main character is Furitto Asuno, who developed the Gundam AGE-1 mobile suit (humanoid mobile weapon) equipped with the AGE System (a self-adapting computer). The second main character is Asemu Asuno, Furitto's child. The third main character is Kio Asuno, Furitto's descendant who inherits the Gundam. The Gundam AGE-1 can be augmented as the Gundam AGE-1 Titus for more power, or as the Gundam AGE-1 Sparrow for more speed." Taken from Animenewsnetwork.

If we take into consideration what was announced then the kiddy protagonists won't stay child like through the whole anime =D ! If this Gundam Story takes place over 3 generations then the kid like protagonist will grow up , marry a girl and give birth to descendants, meaning that we will see an adult version of this kid (or some loli action xD ).
Here is a link for the whole article http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-09/level-5-to-help-create-gundam-age-anime-this-fall
Jun 10, 2011 7:11 PM

Apr 2011
Are they still releasing new anime after like 15 years...
Jun 10, 2011 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
Zahlzeit said:
Gangler said:
Zahlzeit said:

Depends on how we're defining children. I'd be lying if I said it didn't have a lot of themes that would appeal to an adolescent. Say for example ages 13-17. That's one thing. Ages 5-12 though is really an entirely separate demographic. The move from one target demographic to another is never insignificant.

And of course Seed and 00 is a very small part of the Gundam franchise. Miniscule even. I never debated that. However I'd be shocked to find out that I'm the only person here who doesn't have the forty years under his belt necessary to have been there from the beginning. That's the thing with a franchise that's been going so long. It's been a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Some people started with Megaman, I started with Megaman X, there's a whole batch of kids out there now who define Megaman by the battle network product line. Some people started with Final fantasy 1, I started with Final Fantasy 4, and now there's a whole new set of kids who think of Final Fantasy as 10 and up. My batman growing up was from Batman TAS. Before that Batman was Adam West to many, today he's Christian Bale and Brave and the Bold. Not even touching the comics of course.

You see what I'm saying? Times change. Franchises change. It's awesome. The medium would grow stale if it didn't change with the times. Gundam has had one image for a while, and now it may or may not be developing a new image, as I'm sure it has a number of times before. That's great. I love it.

Still, I can appreciate that when you have enjoyed a specific chapter in a franchises history, it can be upsetting to see that chapter end. I've been there. It's perfectly natural. The important thing is to just keep an open mind and try to enjoy what the future will bring. Otherwise you close yourself off to new horizons and spend your life stuck in a decade gone by.

Honestly though, it's too early to say whether the changes here are anything but aesthetic. As I've stated, I have no idea what I'm gonna see here, I just know I'm gonna be there to see it. Just happy to hear they're making another gundam. Looking forward to it.
Jun 11, 2011 1:59 AM

May 2011
Well. I'm happy that there's going to be a new Gundam series, but the mecha looks like something you just pulled out of the washers. it's shrunken and doesn't have the "hot-blood" and shiny factor. Hopefully this will turn out to be something greater then what the pictures are showing us here

Jun 11, 2011 4:28 AM

Sep 2009
Oh the character designs just killed it.
Would have liked 00 to continue if possible.
Jun 11, 2011 1:46 PM

Feb 2011
this looks like digimon with gundams.well i guess i give it a try see how it goes
Jun 11, 2011 3:55 PM

Nov 2007
No f'ing way. After all this waiting, we get some kids' show. I will ragequit watching gundam ;(
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 11, 2011 4:57 PM

May 2008
...sooo....why is Gundam suddenly looking shitty lately? I haven't wanted to see anything after Gundam 00 Season 2 ended cause the art all looks kiddish. Wtf are they doing to Gundam?

Jun 11, 2011 5:24 PM

Jun 2010
Oh great. And I was expecting something like 00.

Yu-Gi-Oh did the same by replacing an older, mature protagonist with kids.
And many other shows do the same, just to attract a younger audience.
Jun 11, 2011 8:17 PM

Sep 2008
Does sunrise need a new revenue stream with younger kids? Are only ronery 30 year old Otakus buying Gundam models anymore or some thing?
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 12, 2011 1:42 AM

Sep 2007
Jigero said:
Does sunrise need a new revenue stream with younger kids? Are only ronery 30 year old Otakus buying Gundam models anymore or some thing?
Well, apparently,

Robot shows were edged out by the videogame, toy and card game shows. Though there’s also an argument to be made that they simply evolved into them. The anime industry chases the money, and for over a decade now, rather than in shows that sell toy robots, the money has been in shows that follow the Pokemon formula, be that for the purposes of selling monster fightin’ videogames, collectable card games or rev-em-up vehicular beetles.
So the answer to your question might be a qualified yes. Remember those adverts that aired in the commercial break in Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z-hen, with the salaryman, probably in his thirties or late twenties, buying the Mazinger Z model?
Jun 12, 2011 7:57 PM

Jun 2010
..I hope this show proves everyone wrong........
Jun 13, 2011 1:06 AM
Nov 2008
So I just watched the preview video, and it's amusing that this is what there was so much rage over. Typical Gundam looking action, and Gundam startup sequence. Seven-year-old Frito or whatever his name is watches his mother die in a fire right in front of him. Clearly this show is meant for babies in diapers. Oh, and the Gundam is piloted, counter to the false info people were so eager to latch onto about the Gundam being controlled via smartphones. In the end, much ado about nothing.
Jun 13, 2011 3:11 AM

Aug 2010

What is my first impression of it? I've lost almost all hope. The character designs alone proves this is for kids. The mecha design were quite poor. Even past series were far superior. The animation was not bad, but inferior to both 00 and Unicorn. It's more comparable to Gunpla builders. And the "UE" aliens, completly unoriginal and boring. They just piloted beast type mobile suits and had ordinary weapons. The 00 aliens were more intresting than this.

But since it's for children and not for the old fans of Gundam, I can let this go. The only thing I hope is that it won't delay the broadcast of the Unicorn episodes and prevent new series to enter for years.
SagaraYuzuruJun 13, 2011 3:14 AM
Jun 13, 2011 3:30 AM

Jan 2009
I think I'll watch it. Let see what issues they gonna tackle in this series.
Jun 13, 2011 4:12 AM

Feb 2008
Update
According to Gundam.info, another new project will be announced on June 25th. It's unknown if the new project is an anime.

Source: Gundam.info
Jun 13, 2011 5:02 AM

May 2009
dtshyk said:
another new project will be announced on June 25th. It's unknown if the new project is an anime.
Oh god, stop teasing me like this. Sunrise is just trolling everyone with Gundam AGE and are going to announce something amazing, I'm sure... Naw, just kidding.

After watching the pv I can see myself watching this. Not that I wasn't going to anyway. The action looks nice, it looks like a typical Gundam anime just aimed at a younger demographic. The animation reminds me of Gunpla builders and I quite like that style, and the Gundam looks quite good in motion. Silly character designs, but the action looks nice.
Jun 13, 2011 5:25 AM
May 2011
Maybe its just me, but the character and mech designs in this looks like something off an anime in the 90s..

God i hope this gets horrible ratings so they decide never to do this shit again.
Jun 13, 2011 9:13 AM

Sep 2009
Guys can you stop for a minute.
I want to borrow your time machine box so I can go see how bad this is going to be too. Since the majority of you must have them...what with the bashing without ever having seen it.

'cause only children do that...and you aren't children. Right?
Jun 13, 2011 10:29 AM

Mar 2011
SagaraYuzuru said:
That was just awful.
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 1:09 PM

Oct 2008
Sabinlerose said:
Guys can you stop for a minute.
I want to borrow your time machine box so I can go see how bad this is going to be too. Since the majority of you must have them...what with the bashing without ever having seen it.

'cause only children do that...and you aren't children. Right?

dude, people are gonna sh!t bricks once this anime airs and you don´t need a time machine to know they will.

I´ll admit it´s a bit "childish" to judge it before it´s even out but think about it this way, you too won´t eat a poisonous mushroom just coz you never gave it a try before. Right ?
"Dream of nothing and wake to a dream come true."

Jun 13, 2011 1:13 PM

Mar 2008
The trailer completely washed out any tiny bit of interest I have left in this series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2011 1:57 PM

Jan 2011
Looks disappointing so far, all I can say xD

I am a man than can make the impossible, possible.
Jun 13, 2011 2:36 PM

Dec 2007
All this show needs to be to satisfy Gundam fans is have the exact same plot, exact same mecha and character designs, and the exact same gimmick. Except it takes place in Universal Century. Then you'd all go ballistic and be wetting yourselves with excitement.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
2 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 12 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.