New
Jun 7, 2011 9:51 PM

Jun 2008
PLEASE, GIVE US CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR MORE THAN TWO CHARACTERS D:
GrmoJun 7, 2011 10:41 PM
Jun 7, 2011 9:56 PM
Sep 2009
Wait... Only two characters?

No... the whole cast has had a fair share of development, of course some more development than others, but it's not like the other characters are some personality -less body-fillers.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jun 7, 2011 10:32 PM

Jun 2008
judojon said:

No... the whole cast has had a fair share of development, of course some more development than others, but it's not like the other characters are some personality -less body-fillers.

Well, first, you need to stop seeing things in black and white. There's a huge grey area between "developed character" and "personality -less body-fillers", as is there a huge grey area simply within the "developed character" realm. So yes, all characters have had some development, but enough to allow us to understand the drama they cause on a deep, emotional level? Absolutely not. Allow me to elaborate.

We don't know anything about Tetsudo, and though he doesn't cause drama, he seems to be a pretty two dimensional character so far. It wouldn't be a problem if we didn't see so much of him. He definitely doesn't need the screen time he gets as much as Yukiatsu does.

Speaking of him, we haven't gotten a chance to get to know him, so we don't understand why he hates Yadomi, and though it is hinted, we don't see enough of him to warrant how much trouble he causes our protagonist. Remember that character development is about two things: time we spend with the character, and the quality of time we spend with them. We need to see them in different situations to see what they're made of. This character in particular lacks in two things. We only see him being pissed off with what relatively little we see of him (compared to Tetsudo), and so he's established as an ass hole with no justification as to why. He's just a jerk and though it's heavily implied as to why, we're missing the TIME we spend with that character. An explanation is not character development.

We don't know much about Tsurumi either, but she doesn't get in the way, so it's ok.

We haven't gotten to know Menma's mom yet. This wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't so much drama involved with them. I can count on one hand the amount of scene's she's appeared in, so the scene at the beginning of episode 8 is really not explained on an emotional level. Yes, we know "well she lost her daughter so she's sad", but that doesn't mean she has to be crazy.

For example, my group of friends lost a member the same way this group did, and we're still carrying on, and our friend's parents aren't bitter or crazy the way this woman is. They're just carrying on too and are happy to see us. When they see that we're enjoying ourselves, despite the loss, they're ok with it. So why is it that this woman freaks out? Don't get me wrong. She's been through something horrible, and she's completely justified as a human to freak out, but it should be explained, because that is, as I have just explained, not the static human response to loss...and what's more, the experience is just passed off as "That's what being a parents is". We don't understand her on an emotional level before this scene, so it's very alienating rather than heart-wrenching...which it SHOULD be.

Yadomi and Naruko have had good character development, as not only have we been able to spend lots of time with them (and see them with eachother, which helps a lot as well), but we've seen different sides to them. The scene where they were playing pokemon was GREAT character development for her.

So, as I was saying, if you can see beyond the static true or false of a character (who is a person, which is something very complicated with a lot of in-between value), then you should understand, more or less, what I mean when I say

"PLEASE, GIVE US CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR MORE THAN TWO CHARACTERS D:"

Does that make sense?

Look, you liked Welcome to the NHK, so you should know good character development is very complicated.
GrmoJun 7, 2011 10:38 PM
Jun 7, 2011 10:42 PM
Sep 2009
Oh... okay. Sorry, but a lot of people have the habit of saying characters are not well developed without really defending their claim coherently on this site. I still think the characterization in the show goes beyond most shows, and I'm sure you don't disagree with me. Thanks for taking the time to explain more thoroughly.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jun 7, 2011 10:55 PM

Jun 2008
judojon said:
Oh... okay. Sorry, but a lot of people have the habit of saying characters are not well developed without really defending their claim coherently on this site. I still think the characterization in the show goes beyond most shows, and I'm sure you don't disagree with me. Thanks for taking the time to explain more thoroughly.

lol no problem. I don't blame you for calling me out, since it was presented horribly. And yes, I do agree with you that this show's characterization goes beyond most, and I'd still say It's the best anime of the season...at least of the ones I'm watching, or at least have seen some of.

I'm just periodically struck with frustration when I watch this :

(especially Yukiatsu's dressing up as Menma going unexplained, and his "talking to himself" going unexplained)

...actually, I appreciate you calling me out on that, because I feel a lot better about this show now that I've had a chance to write about it in detail.

EDIT: k, end of episode was really good.
GrmoJun 7, 2011 11:04 PM
Jun 11, 2011 8:49 PM
May 2010
This is actually pissing me off a lot as well. I love the theme of this show but It's failing in delivering it. If some characaters were never introduced at all it would have little to no effect in the overall plot as things are going.

Who the hell iare Tsuruko and Poppo?

I know he loves Jintan and likes to travel. I know she has a hinted crush on Yukiatsu and is the silent type. So... What? This is as much info as I have in, I don't know, Jintan father, and they're supposed to be central characters.

It's like Menma's death had little to no impact in those two lives' and this show is actually about Analu, Jintan, Yukiatsu and Menma. The other two are just screen filler. While I do like what's going on in the show, I just can't help to think that it could've been done better, especially regarding other characters development such as Tsuruko and Popo.
Jun 12, 2011 5:44 AM

Oct 2010
Tsuruko has huge potential and shes pretty cool but needs more development yeah >_>
lots of music -
Jun 12, 2011 6:16 AM

Jul 2010
"This is a good show, but..." the story still aint over.
so let's just wait for it-
but i want some more of tsuruko! >.<
Jun 12, 2011 8:15 AM

Apr 2010
I found the character development to be satisfactory minus tsuruko, and to a lesser extent poppo. But based off the last episode, it seems likely poppo will get some before the series ends.
Jun 12, 2011 9:33 AM

Nov 2009
I have to agree. I mean It's infuriating that by now we don't know much about Tsuruko and Poppo. I know they are the 2 that are the least affected of Menma's death (at least right now....) but really come on should that justify the lack of screen time/character focus?

Menma herself doesn't grow much as a character which bothers me but...I guess being dead can be a justification right?
Jun 12, 2011 10:34 AM

Mar 2010
I'd be really happy if Jintan gets better hairstyle by the end on the last episode.. pretty please? ^^

aha lol anyways. What i think is that maybe both Tsukuko and Poppo will get some story.. maybe they are connected with menma's death somehow? because now we have only seen a little bit of the water and reason why/ how menma died..

Jun 13, 2011 3:36 AM
Dec 2009
This is not a good show. BUT it could be good if the characters were less emo, and stopped thinking about the past. I mean how long do you brood over someone who died decade ago? I would think they would've passed the emo stage way long ago, you can't obsess over a dead person for a decade. That's unrealistic. Show creating drama and exaggerating something out of nothing. They need to get over it.
Jun 16, 2011 2:58 AM
Dec 2009
blue001 said:
This is not a good show. BUT it could be good if the characters were less emo, and stopped thinking about the past. I mean how long do you brood over someone who died decade ago? I would think they would've passed the emo stage way long ago, you can't obsess over a dead person for a decade. That's unrealistic. Show creating drama and exaggerating something out of nothing. They need to get over it.

Episode 1: "Menma died 10 years ago, but we got over it!" - THE END
Wow! That would be much better!
Jun 16, 2011 3:02 AM

Aug 2009
See the ending before judge this anime.
Jun 16, 2011 2:44 PM

May 2010
The anime is too short, 6 main characters + 2or3 others having an equal amount of time while continuing the Menma story won't work. I'm quite happy as to what they've done so far..

blue001 said:

Children having someone real close to them die can traumatize them for a long time or even till death. If this is emo then so is a majority of the world. You often hear cutting, suicides & drug abuse in the world due to past child-hood traumas or other kinds of depressing things. Whether it's no father, abusive parents or someone they loved/cared for dying. Not to mention, if she died so young the thoughts of that happening to them can fuck with their minds.

This show compared to the real world is completely FAR from emo. They all blame themselves deep down for her death just like some kids do when their parents divorce. So I do not agree that this show "isn't realistic" It may be "overly" dramatic to you but you really chose a poor choice of words..
Jun 16, 2011 6:24 PM

Aug 2010
Grmo said:
PLEASE, GIVE US CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR MORE THAN TWO CHARACTERS D:

hahahahaha this gave me a good laugh ;)
Jun 24, 2011 4:35 PM

Oct 2010
blue001 said:

how could it be good if they stopped thinking about menma? the whole anime was about them moving on and finding closure. okay, RP: your childhood friend just died, she was always there for you, everything was going fine, then all a sudden, she dies, and you're like what? 5? and you think it's your fault. could you really let that go? they felt so guilty. being dead is no joke. to them, they felt as if it was their fault and they would never see her again, she's dead yo. how could you suddenly just stop thinking about that? it's not unrealistic, there are plenty of people like that in the world. you can never officially "get over it" you can only move on. and this is what the anime was about. what kind of anime will it be if on the first episode (like mennol said) they just forgot about her? what's the storyline after that?
Jun 27, 2011 10:02 PM

Jun 2009
mennol said:
blue001 said:

Mennol spoke me mind.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2011 8:04 AM

Apr 2009
Agreed.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jul 6, 2011 12:57 PM

Jun 2011
why do you need character development when you have this?

Jul 6, 2011 4:24 PM

Mar 2011
Al_Gore said:

why were you not elected president, you're a genius.

p.s. thanks for this Internets thing
Jul 6, 2011 7:01 PM

Sep 2007
mennol said:
blue001 said:

Hahaha thats like the shortest episode yet XD Most of the whole show is about the emo anyways otherwise it wouldn't be a series. I'm just glad they resolve the problem early in their teens with ghost Honma as the trigger to the topic. Imagine if the topic came up when they are grownups and one of'em have a gun O.O.
Jul 23, 2011 8:59 PM

Oct 2009
Al_Gore said:

Only in Gelbooru :(
The anime is only a tease when it comes to that D'X

Aug 17, 2011 1:57 AM

Mar 2009
For me it's "this is a good show but they repeat Menma's name way too many fucking times!".
Apr 9, 2012 4:09 AM

Sep 2009
Grmo said:
judojon said:

Well, first, you need to stop seeing things in black and white. There's a huge grey area between "developed character" and "personality -less body-fillers", as is there a huge grey area simply within the "developed character" realm. So yes, all characters have had some development, but enough to allow us to understand the drama they cause on a deep, emotional level? Absolutely not. Allow me to elaborate.

We don't know anything about Tetsudo, and though he doesn't cause drama, he seems to be a pretty two dimensional character so far. It wouldn't be a problem if we didn't see so much of him. He definitely doesn't need the screen time he gets as much as Yukiatsu does.

Speaking of him, we haven't gotten a chance to get to know him, so we don't understand why he hates Yadomi, and though it is hinted, we don't see enough of him to warrant how much trouble he causes our protagonist. Remember that character development is about two things: time we spend with the character, and the quality of time we spend with them. We need to see them in different situations to see what they're made of. This character in particular lacks in two things. We only see him being pissed off with what relatively little we see of him (compared to Tetsudo), and so he's established as an ass hole with no justification as to why. He's just a jerk and though it's heavily implied as to why, we're missing the TIME we spend with that character. An explanation is not character development.

We don't know much about Tsurumi either, but she doesn't get in the way, so it's ok.

We haven't gotten to know Menma's mom yet. This wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't so much drama involved with them. I can count on one hand the amount of scene's she's appeared in, so the scene at the beginning of episode 8 is really not explained on an emotional level. Yes, we know "well she lost her daughter so she's sad", but that doesn't mean she has to be crazy.

For example, my group of friends lost a member the same way this group did, and we're still carrying on, and our friend's parents aren't bitter or crazy the way this woman is. They're just carrying on too and are happy to see us. When they see that we're enjoying ourselves, despite the loss, they're ok with it. So why is it that this woman freaks out? Don't get me wrong. She's been through something horrible, and she's completely justified as a human to freak out, but it should be explained, because that is, as I have just explained, not the static human response to loss...and what's more, the experience is just passed off as "That's what being a parents is". We don't understand her on an emotional level before this scene, so it's very alienating rather than heart-wrenching...which it SHOULD be.

Yadomi and Naruko have had good character development, as not only have we been able to spend lots of time with them (and see them with eachother, which helps a lot as well), but we've seen different sides to them. The scene where they were playing pokemon was GREAT character development for her.

So, as I was saying, if you can see beyond the static true or false of a character (who is a person, which is something very complicated with a lot of in-between value), then you should understand, more or less, what I mean when I say

"PLEASE, GIVE US CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR MORE THAN TWO CHARACTERS D:"

Does that make sense?

Look, you liked Welcome to the NHK, so you should know good character development is very complicated.

All I have to say to this is.....do you not think?

Yeah, there's no solid foundation for anything concrete but COMMON; were you not a child? Did you not see who was who in your group of friends or did you just not care to bring yourself to understand their standing?

There are pretty short leaps we can make so assume why Matsuyuki hates Jinta, or why Menma's mother is so adamant on keeping clung on the past. These things don't need a detailed essay on why they must be; I agree it'd be nice but this isn't that type of Anime and this isn't a Psych class.
Apr 9, 2012 6:01 AM

Apr 2011
Meh, it's all good. I thought you would ask "Why the long name??" The ending for this anime was sad, but also pretty funny.
Apr 23, 2012 6:13 AM

Oct 2011
Al_Gore said:

The proportions in this picture are so fucked up.

I mean, I know anime isn't realistic at all, but seeing her jelly legs and extremely narrow torso just makes me facepalm.

It looks more silly than arousing, really.
|ω・)
Apr 23, 2012 1:50 PM
Oct 2011
Long name, Sad Anime, Thats it nuff said. i.w (Slice of life) if you had 11 episodes to develope with people in real life think about it.

More topics from this board

» I'm watching this in 2024

bUriTtOTiTaN - Mar 26

30 by RegicakTiiy »»
Mar 29, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1235 by sarkardragon »»
Feb 21, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

387 by mylovetokoyami »»
Feb 16, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

229 by nisensi »»
Feb 9, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notnishiura - Apr 21, 2011

358 by Xeehad »»
Jan 17, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.