Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 20, 2011 11:10 PM

Jan 2011
enjoyed the movies..but this..this is gonna be a pass not sure about other people but i don't watch animes that i don't like to look at, and i don't remember Knute bening so depressed and annoying, just my 2 cents though i'm sure whoever the fans of this will keep watching.

PS to those that didn't know the Appleseed maker went bankrupt guess that *CGI* costed alot..
Jul 20, 2011 11:27 PM

Nov 2010
Yeah, the animation shocks me everytime so different to what im used to, but in a good way xD
Jul 21, 2011 2:21 AM

Apr 2009
First episode was alright, i don't like the look of the CG tho but i will continue to watch tho. It was interesting at least and im a sucker for sci-fi anime
Jul 21, 2011 2:38 AM

Mar 2010
I didn't know anything about appleseed until now and I really liked that first episode.
Don't understand what you all are complaining about =/
Jul 21, 2011 6:18 AM
Aug 2010
Interesting story so far as expected from Shirow Masamune,
So in the past Deunan make a fatal mistake and because of that Briareos Heavily injured.
and What is bioroid?

lol at people who comment it was bad because of the animation
Do you score anime based on animation? ah no wonder too many overrated Anime in MAL
Just watch your Old movie this is TV series you know , you think they had infinite budget to produce animation on par with Movie
want to bankrupt again like the previous studio?
think before post
Jul 21, 2011 9:02 AM
Nov 2008
Wow, I'm not usually one to base anything on animation quality, but that was horridly bad. The scenery looked nice, but the characters movements were so rigid and awkward. By today's standards, it was just flat out awful. An uninteresting plot and no attachment to the characters doesn't help it's case either. Oh well, so much for that. Dropped.
Jul 21, 2011 3:26 PM

Dec 2007
Thalandor46 said:
The scenery looked nice, but the characters movements were so rigid and awkward.

Totally agree with that. I'll still give it a try because I've liked the movies and see how it goes. Hopefully the story will make it worth watching.
Jul 21, 2011 11:01 PM

Dec 2007
It felt more like I was watching clips from a Appleseed PS2 game's cinematic than an anime. That was a soulless and dreadful effort at a property that has already been attempted (and failed) to be adapted too many times now.
Jul 22, 2011 10:25 PM

Feb 2010
I've only seen one of the Appleseed movies and the show may not have best quality of the movies maybe because they are on a time basis. Though the CG models did look kind of stubbish at some times and some frames it seem they tried replacing with some 2d backgrounds.

They seem to make Deunan more feminine and more emotional than the movie counterparts... But this is only the first episode hopefully it gets better over time.
Jul 23, 2011 11:51 AM

Nov 2009
I agree that the character animation is slow and awkward.
It's hard to tell the character expression and thus making the character feel souless.

The mechs and background is nice though.
Jul 23, 2011 2:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well, the budget on this one sure is low. It's even hard for the voice acting to be synchronized with the video...making the entire experience... similar to a badly-done game CG scene.

However that was to be expected since the trailer showed pretty much the same flaws.

Other than the technical aspects, people have to be more patient in order to see more plot. So far, nothing new happened.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 23, 2011 3:25 PM
Mar 2011
Really don't like the horrible 3D mixed with 2D. One of the worst show i seen in some time. Dropped after first episode....
Jul 24, 2011 1:58 AM

Aug 2008
The movies was stupid but they at least looks good. This has nothing to offer.
GanossaJul 24, 2011 2:04 AM
Jul 26, 2011 9:53 AM

Aug 2008
That was horrible. Horribly animated and horribly boring. I understand the budget is less than that of a movie animated even a few years ago, but this screws the pooch.

Jul 27, 2011 11:59 PM

Mar 2010
As someone already said but was promptly ignored I guess each episode is going to be designed and animated by a different artist.
I'm willing to say that yes some of the human faces were a bit...off, but the action and robots were cool. I'm not going to judge until I see other episodes.
Jul 28, 2011 12:27 PM

Feb 2008
It was unexpectedly boring.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jul 30, 2011 2:23 AM

Jul 2011
The economy being in the state it's in at the moment, I believe some of you are being rather critical with your opinions of this anime. CG is not cheap and to get above average graphics you would have to be a contender like Disney or Pixar. That being said I am and always have been a fan of Shirow Masamune so I will definitely be watching every episode.
Aug 21, 2011 11:51 AM

Feb 2009
Sucks donkey balls compared to the previous Appleseed OVA and movies. All that CGI is killing me. And what's with all those strange greekish paintings that kept appearing through the episode?! It's awfully annoying.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 21, 2011 9:41 PM

Jul 2009
/dropped.

Nothing else to say, as a fan of the licence. This is just shit.
Aug 24, 2011 11:44 PM

Jan 2010
EsoneR said:
The economy being in the state it's in at the moment, I believe some of you are being rather critical with your opinions of this anime. CG is not cheap and to get above average graphics you would have to be a contender like Disney or Pixar. That being said I am and always have been a fan of Shirow Masamune so I will definitely be watching every episode.

Japanese animators are as good if not better than those at Pixar. This OVA was made by the same animation studio who made Fireball, and the animation in Fireball was amazing. I'm an animator myself, so I know a thing or two about this kinda thing.

The budget must have been really low, and mixing 2d with 3d is not easy.

Aug 26, 2011 5:50 AM

Jul 2011
Klownzie said:
Japanese animators are as good if not better than those at Pixar. This OVA was made by the same animation studio who made Fireball, and the animation in Fireball was amazing. I'm an animator myself, so I know a thing or two about this kinda thing.The budget must have been really low, and mixing 2d with 3d is not easy.

I agree with you about Japanese animators being second to none, but my actual point was about their budget. It's true they were both made by Jinni's Animation Studios, but Fireball was backed by Disney hence the better quality graphics.
Sep 5, 2011 8:27 AM
Dec 2007
d4n13lr0x said:
This truly is an original Appleseed manga dedicated adaptation, so anyone who is an Appleseed fan from the movies will surely be shocked and anyone who has never read/seen the original Appleseed manga/OVAs/movies will be disappointed. Was a great first episode. On one hand I really wanted to see the much more updated looks and CGI of today, but I had to admit that it was a pretty good retro feeling nostalgia of the past. 4/5

You summed it up pretty well. I was kinda anticipating an instant drop seeing the lattest CGI SF works from Japan (EX Machina, Vexille, TO...) but even if the 3D does not look really good (this is only an OVA and the studio went bankrupt, so...), the art direction and actual direction are fantastic and the script is very faithful to the manga (i.e much better than in both movies). Oh, and Maaya Sakamoto is perfect as Deunan too. Extremely good start to this XIII even if I'd rather have had a new Appleseed series in traditional 2D drawings.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 5, 2011 8:24 PM

Jul 2010
Jacut said:
Extremely good start to this XIII even if I'd rather have had a new Appleseed series in traditional 2D drawings.

this. it could have been better if it is done in traditional animation like GitS.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Sep 13, 2011 5:36 PM

Apr 2008
I have just been thoroughly and maliciously rickroll'd.
Sep 17, 2011 1:58 PM

Sep 2009
Just 2 episodes out yet it has over 400 ratings funny...
Apr 29, 2012 5:12 PM

Jul 2009
Huh, that was ... interesting o_O
IT'S 3D! Kinda weird, the character art REALLY reminds me of people in video games ... lol XD Although some of it was well done but just a bit ... odd I guess :P
Erm ... yea, well, I don't really get what's happening, looks like there are people who want to "break away" from whatever system they have? Bioroids are interesting and so was Breareos (I'm so bad with names lol) or whatever "dying", but he's like ... a robot isn't he? Or I dunno. Deunan wanted to run away but didn't. I found that the hugging scenes were kind of awkward to watch lol XD Plus the tearing up scenes weren't that great either
It'll be interesting to see what episode 2 is like lol :P
Nov 28, 2012 11:49 PM

May 2009
Why Production I.G. WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME CRY..... What is with that PS2 in game cut scene quality. Actually Appleseed the game has better graphics. I am not a graphic person, but this was soooo bad i can't even bare to pay attention to the story.... I can't not freaking unseen this, or unhear that new deunan's voice. What the hell have you DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 30, 2012 11:13 PM

May 2009
just tuned it down from 1080p to 480p. It looks much better that way i find. Is almost like beer goggle effect
Feb 24, 2013 6:20 AM
Jan 2009
so has the rest of the series been subbed yet ?
Feb 24, 2013 11:26 PM
Mar 2009
on the funimation site 1-8 is on the stream http://www.funimation.com/appleseed-xiii/videos
Aug 2, 2014 8:58 PM

Feb 2013
Decent action. That's all.

Nothing compared to the OVA/Movies though.
Sep 20, 2014 11:44 AM

Jul 2012
introduction eps, not that much of action tho
Mar 22, 2015 10:47 AM

Apr 2014
AmberFebruary said:

this. it could have been better if it is done in traditional animation like GitS.

I myself cant watch this cgi stuff. Gits is the first show I thought of that it could/should have been like.
---------My Profile------------
Dec 21, 2015 3:10 PM
Sep 2009
ForgiveSins said:
This truly is an original Appleseed manga dedicated adaptation, so anyone who is an Appleseed fan from the movies will surely be shocked and anyone who has never read/seen the original Appleseed manga/OVAs/movies will be disappointed.

Late reply, but as someone who remembers the manga better than the movies, I'll agree. The animation does a good job of capturing the "souless" sterile nature of Gaia, though I find it awkward. The stories are new to the Appleseed manga, and do have plotholes. I also think in the first ep they should have re-established how, while Deunen isn't used to how procedural ESWAT and the police are, she's otherwise a *much* better combatant, with several years of survival in the post-apocalyptic "outside" world.
Oct 29, 2017 8:00 PM
Mar 2017
I think it is not necessary to say more, everything I thought already said it.
dropped.
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Apr 11, 2019 11:08 PM
Oct 2018
"Dunin(?) was of African descent..." [pan to a blonde, alabaster-skinned, green-eyed chick...]

LMAAOOooo. OK, not trying to go full SJW, but either make the "African" chick *not* look like the whitest person possible, or just drop the "African" angle altogether, ffs (and yes, I know Afrikaaners and Boors exist, but we all know what "African" means, and that ain't it lol)

tbh some of the mechanical design was cool, but the characters are fucking terrible. That said, it kinda looks like it has some "so bad it's good" appeal, and it's only one cour, also am a sucker for anything with that 90s "cyberpunk" feel, or anything Masamune-related, so I'll ride it out.

tl;dr- looks terrible, but also kinda fun
Mar 5, 2021 6:00 PM
Jul 2017
Dropped. This show isn't honestly worth anytime if the series continues like this. Writing, animation, pacing, all bad.
Apr 26, 2023 8:31 PM

Sep 2020
I'm not a big fan of the series but the movies/ovas were enjoyable so this feels alright, unimpressive CGI aside. Deia looks alright but the other woman are woofs and Deunan looks like a disproportionate Barbie doll.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 13 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Apr 27, 2013

5 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 26, 2023 8:45 PM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 5 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Apr 26, 2013

2 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 26, 2023 8:38 PM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 4 Discussion

4 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 26, 2023 8:36 PM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 12 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Apr 27, 2013

3 by garydai »»
Mar 9, 2017 9:25 AM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 7 Discussion

3 by ced1106 »»
Dec 21, 2015 11:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.