Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2011 8:03 AM
May 2009
So emotional, cool episode.
I'm still wondering, though, why didn't Jintan or Menma come up with something like "write a message to everyone" earlier. Really. Even if I try to look at things from their PV. In this episode, I actually started thinking that Menma might be a Jinta's delusion - it's right time to prove she's not, I guess...
Jun 4, 2011 8:10 AM

Sep 2009
It certainly took the show long enough to finally make Menma show herself in some incredibly obvious way. The episode would have been a fairly emotional had it not been for this show's hesitancy to adhere to its own logic.
Jun 4, 2011 8:12 AM

Mar 2010
This anime tries really hard to make you T_T.

Was a really good episode, waiting for the next one is gonna feel like foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jun 4, 2011 8:40 AM
Dec 2008
enevi said:
Oh well... Slice of life theme in this show is good enough for... good series, but Menma's theme is really forced. After the series started I was wondering how long it would take them to come up with the idea like "Menma, prove that you're really here". I mean, couldn't it happen a long time ago? Was that drama really needed?

Oh come on. you think it's that easy to say that.
And dude. it's an anime. you need drama. wouldn't it be boring if what you said just happened?
anyway. this episode is really great :D menma finally "showed" herself
Jun 4, 2011 12:03 PM

Jan 2011
Shit just got real...

Very nice ep, manly tears ftw

Menma is just too adorable, really ties with Ushio for me.
Jun 4, 2011 1:24 PM

Jun 2009
So much for my hopes of Jinta & Naruko ending up together. After this episode I just can't see them going out. :/ And Menma finally showed everyone that she's there.
Jun 4, 2011 1:32 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah, I can't understand why she didn't prove here existence until now. I mean , we can clearly see that she can interact with material world , touch , eat and all other staff but in the same time she was still sad in front of all other people, that they can't see here. Is tproving her existance was to much for a ghost that can eat and do all other staff ? oO
Jun 4, 2011 2:21 PM
Mar 2011
WOW, the best episode ending i could possibly imagine.

now things will be more interesting than ever, since she has proven her existence..
Jun 4, 2011 2:36 PM

Jan 2009
:_), looks like they finally know her existence is still there
IG: @ChrisCrossCrash
"There isn't a single guy who doesn't want to spoil his girl."
--Amagami SS
Jun 4, 2011 2:37 PM
May 2011
zimno said:
to the people that say "plot hole" or "should not have taken 8 episodes." on this topic.
you are deficient in reading comprehension.
see things from the vantage point of menma and jintan.
there is no plot hole

This.
Honestly, I'm sure if Menma were to prove herself as soon as you guys wanted the anime would be a 1 hour movie. It's 11 episodes, they need to drag it somehow.. Seriously, like somebody's said before, the anime's not about how fast Jintan can prove that he really sees Menma. -________-
Jun 4, 2011 3:12 PM
Dec 2010
It just gets better and better, can't wait for the next episode.
Jun 4, 2011 3:51 PM

May 2011
I'll say it again.

The reason why Menma didn't try and reveal herself sooner is because she was scared to. Cause every time someone mentions her name certain people would get sad which made her sad. The scene in Episode 2 at Anjou's house pretty much explains this.

It was only after Yukietsu was raining tears on Jinta did she actually get involved. Even then, in the scene where she told Jinta what to say, she seemed skittish and reluctant to say it.

You also do realize it's the mind of an 8 year old?!? logical thinking and 8 year old minds usually aren't used in the same sentence.
CirrisJun 4, 2011 4:07 PM
Jun 4, 2011 4:19 PM

Feb 2010
I doubt Menma knew what she should be doing, even at the very end. In a situation like this, I doubt there was any sort of clear answer for her until "Letting Jintan get punched is a bad thing."

Besides, if YOU realized that you're a ghost, would YOU know what the proper course of action is?
Jun 4, 2011 4:28 PM
May 2011
Zilpzalp said:
epiklow said:
zimno said:
to the people that say "plot hole" or "should not have taken 8 episodes." on this topic.
you are deficient in reading comprehension.
see things from the vantage point of menma and jintan.
there is no plot hole

This.
Honestly, I'm sure if Menma were to prove herself as soon as you guys wanted the anime would be a 1 hour movie. It's 11 episodes, they need to drag it somehow.. Seriously, like somebody's said before, the anime's not about how fast Jintan can prove that he really sees Menma. -________-

but if the story is cut out for a movie, then you cant lengthen the story artificially just to fit it into 11 episodes! that would make the whole story that much worse. if they didn't have any reason in particular and just waited 8 episodes just because it wouldnt have worked otherwise, than theyve just chosen the wrong format.

based on your logic, pacing would be trivial, but thats just wrong.

But by everybody wanting Menma to reveal herself much sooner, I assume they mean roughly in the 2nd ep where everybody is saying Jintan's a liar, if she revealed herself then I'm sure there would be plenty of scenes that could be cut to the point it'd be much shorter. The whole movie thing was an exaggeration. For example Yukiatsu wouldn't have needed to cross dress, and there wouldn't be multiple scenes where Jintan is asking if they believe him.
I'm only saying that Menma revealing herself now is perfect and that she didn't have to do it sooner..
Jun 4, 2011 5:58 PM

Jul 2008
Some people are missing some things there.
Yes Menma could have proven her existence for a while already but the reason she did not was because she was respecting Jintan's wish, a wish that they haven't discuted but both mutually agreed to, a kind of rule.

Basically from Jintan's point of view there was two possibility:

-Menma do not exist and is the result of his trauma.
-Menma exist, is there and only Jintan can see her.

Jintan is in a state where he want to doubt that both choice are right and wrong at the same time because they would both bring different problems.
Jintan loved Menma and want to make her wish real so that way she will be fullfiled and disapear in both cases, basically it is the 'easy way'.

Menma is often acting stupid but she is someone that understand people on a emotional level very well and she understand what Jintan is going through.
And not only Jintan at that...

Menma making clear to everyone that she exist was not something easy, especially for Menma herself.
Menman love Jintan, that is clear. She probably do not want to have her wish fullfilled because that way she get to stay with her beloved. Now that everyone know that Menma exist they will focus on her wish being fullfilled so that she pass on which is something she do not want.
Still she made her existence clear, not on a whim like she often tried, but after having toroughfully thought about all the consequence of doing so because she wanted the group to start fighting.

Jintan is right, Menma never thinking about herself or what she want, she only think about others. At the same time Jintan is understanding that he was forcing his wish of fullfilling Menma's wish on her.

Big IMO.
Jun 4, 2011 8:00 PM
Jan 2011
Can this show stop with the crying every ep. I mean the one with Anaru was acceptable but it's like they literally cry every episode.
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Jun 4, 2011 10:46 PM

Nov 2010
lol @ people saying Menma took too long to prove her existence
Jun 4, 2011 11:21 PM

Jan 2010
This anime... will emotionally drain me... T_T Simply amazing.
Jun 4, 2011 11:43 PM

May 2009
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG SHE DID IT! OMG AUGH!!! AWESOME!!!
Jun 5, 2011 12:52 AM

Apr 2009
Menma's mother is my type
Jun 5, 2011 4:01 AM

Mar 2010
absolutely loved this ep. i don't want ano hana to finish T.T
Jun 5, 2011 4:46 AM
May 2011
Great episode, they'll probably get her to do more things or something soon. Can't wait until the last episode,:D.
Jun 5, 2011 4:53 AM
Apr 2010
Oh wow... I started to tear up when Poppo started reading Menma's diary... this episode was AMAZING...

Jun 5, 2011 10:12 AM

Jul 2009
All I have to say

BEST EPISODE YET! SO EPIC!
Jun 5, 2011 10:18 AM

Jun 2009
great episode.

why menma took so long to prove her existence? like her mother said, she's kinda slow. hah!

not to mention she remain like a child... slow + child... you guys do the math.

and jintan doubt menma's existence himself from the very beginning.
Jun 5, 2011 12:50 PM

May 2009
Just how many episodes long is this anime going to be? If its truly 11eps as the rumors say then wouldn't it seem like they're rushing the ending a bit?
Jun 5, 2011 3:23 PM
May 2011
^ The anime was pretty fast paced to begin with~
I think three episodes are enough for a good ending. Then again that might also be because I'm dreading to know the ending to this anime so much, so if it were longer, I might just die.
Jun 5, 2011 6:15 PM

Feb 2010
Amazing ending, do want more!
Jun 5, 2011 7:49 PM

Dec 2010
This is too good. Yea, why did she take so long to prove her existence??! Poor Yadomi is getting all the blame for 'pretending' that shes there. This is too emotional and too good.
WONDER how they will react to that after realizing that no one dropped it there and that there was no wind....
Jun 5, 2011 9:54 PM

Oct 2010
And tears were shed in the end of the episode again. That's 5 out of 8, I don't think even CLANNAD made me this emotional.
Jun 5, 2011 11:27 PM

Sep 2010
What is really bothering me is that Yukiatsu believed Jintan after episode 5, in which he revealed information only he and Menma had known. Of course, a normal, logical person would have thought that Jintan was simply spying on them, and saw the entire affair (much more believable than a ghost). However, Yukiatsu's reaction at the time indicated that he believed Jintan. If he thought Jintan was using information eavesdropped from his conversation with Menma, he would've been even angrier instead of being placated and becoming more accepting of Jintan and the group.
Jun 5, 2011 11:41 PM
Oct 2008
AzureSkyz said:
What is really bothering me is that Yukiatsu believed Jintan after episode 5, in which he revealed information only he and Menma had known. Of course, a normal, logical person would have thought that Jintan was simply spying on them, and saw the entire affair (much more believable than a ghost). However, Yukiatsu's reaction at the time indicated that he believed Jintan. If he thought Jintan was using information eavesdropped from his conversation with Menma, he would've been even angrier instead of being placated and becoming more accepting of Jintan and the group.

Agreed, but also to play devils advocate, I want to say Yuukiatsu thought that Tsuruko set up the whole thing, to force closure on him (Even the 'thank you for the hairpin and I'm sorry')
Jun 6, 2011 12:10 AM

Jun 2009
true, tsuruko also know about the hairpin. tsuruko planned everything to expose yukiatsu and yukiatsu knows that she is the one behind it. what would stop him from thinking that tsuruko is the one that told jintan about the hairpin?
Jun 6, 2011 12:56 AM

Jan 2011
mindflayer said:
And tears were shed in the end of the episode again. That's 5 out of 8, I don't think even CLANNAD made me this emotional.

BLASPHEMY!
Jun 6, 2011 2:09 AM
Apr 2011
I don't understand why people are bagging on Menma for not showing herself until now. Yea it took a while but really all of these kids are what, 16? And Menma was only 6 when she passed away so I'm not even sure what kind of knowledge or intent she possesses currently epsecially when she herself doesn't understand why she's not in heaven. Also I think someone had stated earlier..
Umeko said:
cartman1992 said:
good episode. The only plot hole that has been bugging me this whole series is the fact that menma could've shown her existence really really easily.

After this episode, I kind of get the feeling that Menma didn't want to before - or rather, she didn't see the need to. She took for granted that all her old friends would believe Jintan when he claimed she existed (or that he'd use peace-buster-leader-powers!! to make them believe), and it wasn't until she heard Poppo talking about it that the necessity of revealing herself really hit her.

I thought this was a good point. She wanted her wish to be realized, not for her existence to be known.

Confessions in high school are always way more dramatic. Everything is a big deal because there are so many emotions that swirl around. For Jintan to run away from Anaru seems normal for a high school boy who has also closed himself from society. He's already got so many emotions running through his mind I'm sure he wanted to get away and not deal with it. That's not to say that what he did was right, I'm just giving an excuse for his actions. But really, with a confession like that, what are you supposed to do, "Let's talk about this over coffee" ?

In any case, I think that's what makes this series so appealing; the fact that they are just kids who have to deal with all kinds of emotions at a young age. Even the mother is having a hard time dealing with Menma's death. The trials and triumphs they go through serves as a learning experience for young audiences and reflection period for older audiences.
Jun 6, 2011 8:27 AM

May 2010
The series is going in a nice pace and now everyone knows that Menma is there !!

Jun 6, 2011 10:29 PM

May 2011
http://www.anohana.jp/story/09.html

well, judging by the preview.

looks like Menma bakes Poppo some raisin bread thingies Jinta's mom used to make for them when they were kids.

Jinta is writing something with Menma looking on. Maybe it's the letter to god.

Yukietsu is pissed off and kicking something. Most likely jealous that Jinta gets Menma and he doesn't.

Anjou looks angry. i hope it's just an errant expression to something other than the Jinta/Anjou conversation. My gut tells me otherwise.

Tsuruko seems to have ran into something while walking and decides watch behind a corner. It's something serious from the expression she makes while looking on.
Jun 7, 2011 2:42 AM

Oct 2010
Cirris said:
looks like Menma bakes Poppo some raisin bread thingies Jinta's mom used to make for them when they were kids.

That will be interesting to see who the baking shall go.
Cirris said:
Jinta is writing something with Menma looking on. Maybe it's the letter to god.
I would be interested to know what it is indeed. Looks interesting to find out based on Menma's reaction.
Cirris said:
Yukietsu is pissed off and kicking something. Most likely jealous that Jinta gets Menma and he doesn't.
Yeah, that I wonder about. The jealousy is certainly suspicious due to most likely Jinta being right and leader again while he was cast on the side.
Cirris said:
Anjou looks angry. i hope it's just an errant expression to something other than the Jinta/Anjou conversation. My gut tells me otherwise.
According to her expression in the spoiler
she does look angry again at something but it could be linked to Jinta or the school rumours again.
Cirris said:
Tsuruko seems to have ran into something while walking and decides watch behind a corner. It's something serious from the expression she makes while looking on.
It is but as what it may be I wonder about this.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 7, 2011 8:22 AM

Jun 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
According to her expression in the spoiler
she does look angry again at something but it could be linked to Jinta or the school rumours again.

teary eyes, angry and blushing. probably linked to jinta. :D
Jun 7, 2011 9:18 AM

Jun 2011
Ohgod! This episode was awesome.. I've been waiting and hoping Menma would show clues of her actually being there to the others and it finally happened *-*.

I hope Menma shows more of her through hints!
Jun 7, 2011 10:33 AM
Oct 2008
zorapup said:
I don't understand why people are bagging on Menma for not showing herself until now. Yea it took a while but really all of these kids are what, 16? And Menma was only 6 when she passed away so I'm not even sure what kind of knowledge or intent she possesses currently epsecially when she herself doesn't understand why she's not in heaven. Also I think someone had stated earlier..
Umeko said:
cartman1992 said:
good episode. The only plot hole that has been bugging me this whole series is the fact that menma could've shown her existence really really easily.

After this episode, I kind of get the feeling that Menma didn't want to before - or rather, she didn't see the need to. She took for granted that all her old friends would believe Jintan when he claimed she existed (or that he'd use peace-buster-leader-powers!! to make them believe), and it wasn't until she heard Poppo talking about it that the necessity of revealing herself really hit her.

I thought this was a good point. She wanted her wish to be realized, not for her existence to be known.

IAWTC.

I think it's not really a plot hole since the series had hints she could do this the whole time. (When she visited her house she opened the door and everyone knew, and she knocked the glass over. Someone other than Jin-Tan saw her move things). So it's not like she wasn't capable of doing this the whole time, she just didn't WANT too.

(Which is why I really don't get people saying 'PLOT HOLE SHE COULD HAVE DONE THIS THE WHOLE TIME').

Well I hope I'm not misinterpreting the word 'plot hole' lol.

I mean, as far as Menma knows her death really messed up a lot of people's lives. She doesn't want to remind anyone of her death because she realizes the sadness it causes them, but this conflicts with the part of her that doesn't want anyone to forget her. So I think she doesn't really choose to show her existence until it was necessary, ie now.
Jun 7, 2011 1:29 PM
Jan 2008
This isn't a plot hole, and I'm getting bored of watching people post that it is. Menma up until this point has had no need to reveal to anyone that she exists. Revealing she exists means everyone will get serious about completing her wish. She is likely terrified that fulfilling such a wish will mean she moves on to the other side. Thus far I'm sure she has been completely happy just idling her days away with Jinta, and enjoying her time with him.

If you'll recall a few points:

1) Yukiatsu remembers Menma called them all to the fort that day except Jinta to talk about something. This suggests the wish is something that Jinta shouldn't be able to know.

2) Menma is still the maturity level of around her child self. She is having fun with Jinta and there is no conflict until this episode that forces her to interact.

Only under immediate duress has Menma finally taken action to tell everyone she is here, and her reason for doing so is her fear of hurting the Super Peace Busters is greater than her fear of hurting herself.
Jun 7, 2011 2:04 PM

May 2010
Episode 9 PV - Tsuruko part seems most interesting to me out of the whole preview. We have never seen her off on her own without any contact with Yuki...

This is pretty stupid of me but, even with all the crying - I want Tsuruko to break her shell & at least drops 1 tear, lol. I just never wanna see Popo cry, he needs to keep the smiling/happy face throughout the whole show...

Zilpzalp said:
but thats exactly what we mean. why did she not want to, if it would have made life easier, seriously? just "i didnt want to, its funnier this way" ist not enough of an explanation. without one, it will remain a plot hole. the fact that she could have done it the whole time makes it even worse. she should've known that they didn't believe jintan before this happened, so why didn't she react back then but only now?

why did she not want to
She never wanted too, nor did she want to. She basically thought everyone in the gang was still the same and thinking that they would believe & follow Jinta as she only remembers & knew about for the time she was alive. Really all she came back for was her wish to be granted - not an emotional roller-coaster ride of depressed teenagers.

the fact that she could have done it the whole time makes it even worse. she should've known that they didn't believe jintan before this happened, so why didn't she react back then but only now?

As explained earlier, Menma although appearing older still is a 6year old(she's a bit slow at times also) who thinks everyone would believe Jinta seeing as everyone followed him during the time she was alive.

As we all witness in this episode - She walked in on Popo talking to Anaru(i think?) saying that the others don't believe Jinta & breaking off again - which triggered Menma into helping them stay together.

lyim said:
Revealing she exists means everyone will get serious about completing her wish. She is likely terrified that fulfilling such a wish will mean she moves on to the other side. Thus far I'm sure she has been completely happy just idling her days away with Jinta, and enjoying her time with him.

^^ This is also a good point.

Point is now, she revealed herself & may I say - in a great episode which wouldn't have played out as well, if it was revealed earlier. everything that happened before ep.8 was for this suspense & emotion, IMO... Finally getting to see everyone after crossdressing/hate/finger pointing/rumors/fights/regrets/etc coming to terms with eachother will make it easier for them to move on about Menma dying(after they grant her damn wish, of course).
Jun 7, 2011 2:11 PM

Dec 2009
lyim said:

1) Yukiatsu remembers Menma called them all to the fort that day except Jinta to talk about something. This suggests the wish is something that Jinta shouldn't be able to know.

I disagree with that point, in the first episode we see Menma telling Jintan "I have a wish", the wish is anterior to the 'secret' meeting, even if we do not know if Menma clearly told what her wish was to Jintan.
Jun 7, 2011 9:16 PM

May 2011
the above posts are good rebuttal posts to the WHY NOT sooner argument...

I would also like to reiterate my point that...

In past episodes Menma felt scared when she was around her mom or Anjou when they mentioned her name. "it made them sad". She even berated Jinta for even going to her parents house cause her Mom is still in agony over her death. Menma's whole persona about revealing herself throughout the series is to keep her distance cause her presence seems to hurt the people she cares about.

Anjou put it bluntly in this episode. fulfilling Menma's wish will mean she disappears again.

If you cared deeply for someone and saw how agonizing they've felt since you departed. Would you really want to fester those wounds by revealing yourself to the people that still cry over you. On top of that, it will be like losing that person all over again when the wish is granted and you pass on again.

Sure there's a valid case that she should have revealed herself sooner.

But, there's just as much a valid case to why she wouldn't want to.
Jun 7, 2011 11:10 PM
May 2011
I think Yukiatsu is the saddest part of this series. Yeah, he acts like a jerk, but I feel so incredibly bad for him. I know a lot of people don't like him, which is understandable, he's not the kind of guy I would be friends with, but I think his character is absolute genius. I really, truly feel for him.

Another great episode. This is the most gripping piece of media I've seen since...well, ever.
Jun 8, 2011 12:59 PM

Aug 2010
Why didn't Menma do stuff like that earlier? Everyone thought Jintan was a liar till now
Jun 8, 2011 6:16 PM

Feb 2010
I was just watching episode too where Poppo and Jintan were eating grilled beef and Menma gobbles it up JUST before Poppo turns his head. So it's not like Menma tried hiding herself before.

But what I wanna know is when she wrote that diary entry in the first place. >:3
Jun 8, 2011 8:21 PM

Jan 2011
RPSkillz said:
I was just watching episode too where Poppo and Jintan were eating grilled beef and Menma gobbles it up JUST before Poppo turns his head. So it's not like Menma tried hiding herself before.

But what I wanna know is when she wrote that diary entry in the first place. >:3

She wrote it when she said, "Jinta time for your time out." Then dropped it directly afterwards
Jun 9, 2011 9:54 AM
May 2010
holy cow

sudden teary eyes in the ending of the episode

ouch my eyes hurt
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

217 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - May 12, 2011

299 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

388 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 5:59 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xity - Apr 28, 2011

318 by NillyPC »»
Apr 21, 3:33 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notnishiura - Apr 21, 2011

359 by NillyPC »»
Apr 21, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.