Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 1, 2012 2:05 PM

Jul 2009
yay i knew this would be a Nao episode.

really powerful episode, it showed that shiki are human jut a different kind of human with restriction.

they didn't lose any memories, feelings or etc.

they're still the same when they're alive.

makes me sick those bastards were laughing and singing while killing them endlessly.

seriously how fucked up is that?!?!?!

if most of the shiki's have the ability of a "jinrou" i bet these fucking humans won't be laughing now.

i feel sorry for Nao having to suffer like that.

but she did kill her family, but in the end she just wanted happiness for everyone.

i guess somethings are just not gonna happen.

and Hasegawa doing the right thing and just ending it, what's the point of putting them on the sun when the first few people you saw you already killed them.

truly a heartbreaking episode, and this is why i love Shiki.

it evokes our different emotions throughout the episodes.

watching episode 21 now, guess i just played them in order since it was assigned in the aniplex blu ray.

would like to see more Megumi, Kaori, Akira, and maybe Yuuki too :P
Oct 4, 2012 6:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow, that was intense. Really gripping stuff.

Hasegawa and his wife are probably the only ones left there with a shred of true humanity left.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 4, 2012 1:37 PM

Feb 2012
I'm glad this focused on Nao. I liked her and wondered what the rest of her story was like. Plus, it shows how the rest of he village went about doing away with the Shiki. Looks like there's a Toshiro copy among them, lol.

Sadly, it was a cruel one... The humans really went out of their minds during their war against the Shikis. I'm glad at least some of them were disgusted doing all this. Really, the only ones not showing any remorse were the women.... Even that one female's husband did better than she did with giving the Shiki mercy.

Great episode.
Oct 10, 2012 10:13 PM

Dec 2010
Really great episode. Full of anger, resentment, & pain.

It makes you wonder - who are the real monsters?

Oct 29, 2012 2:27 PM

May 2012
Quite a lot of killing quite a nice special episode!
Nov 25, 2012 12:27 PM

Nov 2011
One of the best episodes of the entire series. Utterly chilling. You never thought you'd feel so bad for the monsters going around murdering people, did ya?

It's so rare for specials like this to be this good.
Dec 6, 2012 5:23 PM

Mar 2012
So many emotions in this episode; one of the best anime eps I have seen in my life. Almost cried when Nao died; even though she killed her family. Those humans prove they are nothing better than the Shiki.
Dec 31, 2012 8:41 PM

Feb 2011
This entire ep really just ripped at my heart. Amazing.
Feb 6, 2013 6:25 PM

Jan 2013
In the top 5 most brutal episodes of an anime i've seen
Feb 26, 2013 12:48 PM

Jan 2012
So powerful and intense. I am simply speechless. Great special.

Jun 30, 2013 4:53 PM

Mar 2010
Wow amazing episode!
so much blood sweat and tears
Jul 6, 2013 2:43 AM

May 2012
This episode is great although it kinda hard for my heart to watch. That ending too almost made me cry.
Jul 14, 2013 4:27 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Onii said:
My goodness, that was insane.
They're all fucking crazy.

Although cruel, I think it would be better if they could just cut the shiki heads off, it would save them a lot less pain than they were going through having stakes hammered into their chest. This was really difficult to watch because of how desperate all the shiki wanted to live, especially the part where the yellow shirt guy said, "I'm next." The part where they were burning from the sunlight was gruesome and makes me nauseous. This special did a great job at portraying how humans are monsters, despite already having the last few episodes do the same thing. Nao's story though, I still don't care much about. Even though she feels remorse for killing her family, it doesn't change the fact that she did...
Jul 30, 2013 2:12 PM

Jan 2012
That was awesome! Extremely cringe worthy at the end
Nov 13, 2013 3:05 PM

Jul 2012
amginex said:
gloomheart said:
MusashiRose said:
Kinda angered me during the series that we didn't see any feelings/humanity left in the Shiki (All they did was scare people, sneak around, and kill/feed - other than Tohru), and then at the end we're supposed to feel conflicted because all of a sudden they feel scared.

Either way, good show. Go Humans.

This. They were feeding off people for about 18 episodes with no remorse whatsoever, and now we're supposed to feel sorry for them?
Yeah right, hand me a bag of stakes, I'm going in.

The end did get me a little bit, with the bartender showing mercy.

exactly my thoughts. i rewatched this again and my emotion didnt change. i guess im on the dark side of the human nature. but its moronic to feel sad for shikis who would eat you

awesome anime

You an d the other guy are ruthless
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Dec 4, 2013 7:24 PM

Mar 2012
gloomheart said:
MusashiRose said:
Kinda angered me during the series that we didn't see any feelings/humanity left in the Shiki (All they did was scare people, sneak around, and kill/feed - other than Tohru), and then at the end we're supposed to feel conflicted because all of a sudden they feel scared.

This. They were feeding off people for about 18 episodes with no remorse whatsoever, and now we're supposed to feel sorry for them?

I'm all for killing them since they deserved it but having them burn to death was a bit too much (plus they killed those two guys just b/c they got bit without a second thought). Felt no sympathy for the vamps since they were ass holes and had it coming but the humans are starting to at like monsters themselves.
Jan 15, 2014 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
xAvengerx said:
gloomheart said:
MusashiRose said:

I'm all for killing them since they deserved it but having them burn to death was a bit too much (plus they killed those two guys just b/c they got bit without a second thought). Felt no sympathy for the vamps since they were ass holes and had it coming but the humans are starting to at like monsters themselves.

Oh yeah and the humans wasn't killing others humans and the humans are the hero's because killing is the only way to live,

Bullshit

The shiki have no other choice but to drink blood of other humans in order to continue living it's no different what we as humans do to other animals to eat in order to live another day,

The shiki didn't do it out of hate or fear it was because they have no choice but to.

If they was mindless monster like those things from dead space or was like zombies that couldn't think for them selfs then I'd under stand but the shiki didn't change In personality or was brain washed, they was told that they was shiki and had to drink blood in order to live or die and everything on this planet does that we eat in order to live,

The humans killed the people in the temple with out trying to have a look if he was there and the only reason the villagers killed them was because they was related to the monk and everyone in the temple was innocent and was murdered by the humans you claim to be hero's and not to mention the humans killed there fellow villagers in the pipes just because they was bitten once,

Also the doctor didn't show any emotion when he was experimenting on his wife when she turned she was begging him to stop and he continued with a poker face hell he didn't even cry or say I'm sorry while doing it to her he didn't even show any remorse when the shiki killed his mother.

Also there was an old man being controlled by he shiki and was told to kill the doctor but failed and was about to be killed by the bearded bastard and the doctor tried to stop them but they killed him for being a spy, not trying to tie him down or nothing.

The shiki are the victims of this series and this series shows us humans are more monster then the actual monsters, hell they was smiling when they let the shiki burn in the sun, yeah hero's with mercy.

We kill our fellow man every day over -

What we look like
Where we come from
Rich or poor
Our cultures
If you Stand out to much you get bullied

So no humans are the villains of the series and this series clearly shows it.

And every human who was killing he shiki are the true monsters

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Mar 23, 2014 12:03 AM

Jan 2013
Imma gonna grab dat ass until it fuckin bleeds.. XD
As usual, Shiki and humans are both equally monsters, separated by a very thin line.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 15, 2014 9:52 AM

Feb 2014
One of the only series I can think of where the extra episodes were actually better than the series itself. I almost dropped this show halfway, but I'm glad I didn't because the last few eps + the specials were amazing.
Jul 4, 2014 8:52 PM

Aug 2013
There is a point where the humans become the monsters.
My Candies:
Aug 3, 2014 10:11 AM
May 2014
This episode is probably the most distressing I have ever watched. I love it for that but it shows you that normal people can be the real monsters.

All in all I loved the episode despite the repulsive nature of the townspeople..
Aug 25, 2014 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Wooaah. What a bloody ep. Loved it!
I don't feel bad for Nao at all, her way of thinking was so fucking absurd. "I'm just gonna go ahead and kill my whole family, hoping they become vampires so we can live together eternally" Wth.
She deserved to die for good.
Sep 22, 2014 10:35 PM

Feb 2013
Nao was one of my favorite characters, so this episode really made me sad.

I just felt so bad for her throughout the whole thing, the whole scene where they were crawling through the pipe lines and then getting stuck and then getting dragged out one by one had me on the edge of my seat. I was hoping Nao would escape somehow but of course she didn't ;-;.

Also tying them up like that and just letting them burn was cruel. I'm really glad that one guy showed them mercy and gave them all quick deaths.

The humans were the real monsters in this ep.

5/5
Oct 3, 2014 3:05 AM

Jul 2012
FlyingComma said:
Wooaah. What a bloody ep. Loved it!
I don't feel bad for Nao at all, her way of thinking was so fucking absurd. "I'm just gonna go ahead and kill my whole family, hoping they become vampires so we can live together eternally" Wth.
She deserved to die for good.

you have no soul

im a shiki supporter

Oct 25, 2014 11:38 AM

Apr 2014
That was intense.

@Preview: Is Seishin a lolicon or what
LOL
I joke.
Nov 11, 2014 10:32 PM

Mar 2012
That was a really intense episode, one of the most intense ones so far.

LOAD said:

LOL
I joke.

You never know he might be considering he went way out of his way to help her.
Nov 14, 2014 5:30 AM

Jul 2012
Shimapan-chan said:
That was a really intense episode, one of the most intense ones so far.

LOAD said:

LOL
I joke.

You never know he might be considering he went way out of his way to help her.

Or maybe the doctor is gay.

Or maybe the monk hated the village from the start

im a shiki supporter

Jan 12, 2015 2:21 AM

Nov 2013
I remember watching these specials after midnight. Fucking horrifying.

Jan 29, 2015 9:43 PM
Oct 2013
Nao's death is really too much ;_;
Feb 15, 2015 3:07 AM

Jul 2012
Sacriven said:
Nao's death is really too much ;_;

Well the humans are bastards

im a shiki supporter

Mar 15, 2015 9:52 AM

Jan 2014
Shinryuken said:
Wow amazing episode!
so much blood sweat and tears
Aug 12, 2015 2:04 PM

Oct 2013
Oh my Lord. ;_;

The humans have become more monstrous than the shiki ever were. I understand the necessity in killing the shiki, but their sheer cruelty and mercilessness was absolutely unnerving.

I'm terrified of even continuing with the last few episodes. Since the series entered its climax around episode 18, it's become progressively brutal with no signs of stopping. *shudders*

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 18, 2015 10:27 AM

Feb 2013
I'm still #teamhuman and all, but that was a bit over the top. Did they really think it was OK to just let them roast in the sun like that when they could easily stab and be done? Also killing a dude for being slightly nicked by a shiki? Did these dudes only half listen to what Ozaki taught them about who their hunting?
Sep 1, 2015 2:15 PM

May 2010
The blonde guy was the worst among the humans. This theme is probably even brutally executed than the one in SSY.

It is hard to admit, but this is exactly how normal people would act if something like this ever happens. That's how people are. Once they believe in something, they aren't easily swayed...

I am not good with narrow places to begin with, this episode was hard to watch. Felt sorry for Nao...

Wish there was a better solution to this problem, too much violence... These villagers are getting more and more messed up by each passing episode.
Sep 2, 2015 3:45 PM

Jul 2012
TragicRomance said:
The blonde guy was the worst among the humans. This theme is probably even brutally executed than the one in SSY.

It is hard to admit, but this is exactly how normal people would act if something like this ever happens. That's how people are. Once they believe in something, they aren't easily swayed...

I am not good with narrow places to begin with, this episode was hard to watch. Felt sorry for Nao...

Wish there was a better solution to this problem, too much violence... These villagers are getting more and more messed up by each passing episode.

Humanity what can you do

im a shiki supporter

Nov 5, 2015 3:47 AM
Aug 2014
hot headed and trucker hat, and so passionate to eradicate those who are he deemed enemy. we got a redneck here.
Dec 20, 2015 8:26 PM

Jul 2013
Talk about being butthurt amirite.
Dec 29, 2015 11:00 AM

Feb 2015
That was one hell of a teamwork.
Mar 11, 2016 12:12 AM

Jan 2014
The most fascinating part was when that man decided to kill the two who were bitten by the shiki.

A mind is a fragile thing.
Apr 12, 2016 4:44 AM

Apr 2009
This WAY more brutal than E;fen Lied.

A heart stabbing episode. I can feel those Shikis. T___T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
Right in the feels, poor Shiki, again teared up because of it.
I'm glad Hasegawa put them out of their misery, at least shows some emotion ...
Unlike all the others just chanting away whilst murdering Shiki and even killing their comrades when they appear to be bitten ...

Again they crossed the line, just like episode 20. - This is basically them being Shiki in human form.

ezaya said:
A heart stabbing episode. I can feel those Shikis. T___T

Same here ... same here :(

TragicRomance said:

Oh god ... the narrow situation got me aswell, no way to run, knowing you're about to be killed in a brutal way ... OH GOD :/

It's funny isn't it ... they think that Shiki are messed up, I wonder how an outsider will view them after a scene like this.
Oct 19, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2008
Still siding with the humans, no matter how much the show tries to make me sympathize with the vamps.
Mar 22, 2017 10:09 AM

Sep 2016
impossible to side with anyone in this show tbh. i have simpathy for characters on both sides and there are aweful people on either side aswell.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

May 9, 2017 1:49 PM

Nov 2016
This episode showed the terrible nature of some human beeings. The Shiki did some horrible things, but most of them were forced due to threats and hunger. The villagers in this episode on the other hand seemed to enjoy themselves, at least one of them had the guts to do the right thing.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 20, 2017 10:26 PM

Feb 2016
This episode was much needed in the original series, such a shame it wasn't included.

This only further increased my fury of the cause of all this and how injustice was not served by not having at least that person die.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jan 4, 2019 8:55 AM

Jun 2015
All this screaming is really scary.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 28, 2019 9:52 PM

May 2008
In the end, the humans except Hasegawa become the very thing they condemned and murdered.

After all, what's the difference between shiki and Sadofumi or the guys that stood and watched one of his comrades get killed? It did made me really wish Sadofumi had gotten killed.

Hasegawa was really enjoyable in this episode; not gonna lie I teared up when he stood up with that resolve and put the shiki out of their mercy. Having them suffer burning too death when any stab to the heart or chopping off their head was avaliable... is just wow.

But, really, the shiki are a joke. They got owned too easily here.
Jun 30, 2019 11:29 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
The tunnel scene was frightening, especially when the guy was killing someone and enjoying it just because he never liked him.
And imagine hitting a dead end and realizing they’re coming after you one by one...

And that last scene right before daybreak is like some scene outta GOT.

I guess they put this and the other episode as specials because it was really dark.
Jul 29, 2019 2:28 PM

Jun 2019
I don't really get a large part of the arguments asking and debating over who is right and who are the monsters, the Shiki or the humans. Honestly, I don't see either side as right or wrong or either side as monsters. It's all just life fighting to survive. It's the dance of nature.

I don't believe in evil anyway because it's a concept which is mythological and assumes that the motivations of any sentient being's actions come from somewhere else outside of them and cannot be understood in rational terms. It's nonsense. I don't see the Shiki draining the village dry and planning to conquer and use it as their base for expansion into other human population centers as evil. And I don't see the humans ruthlessly hunting down every last Shiki and Shiki collaborator and exterminating them to halt their ambitions as evil either. They're brutal and merciless, but I don't see anything about that as inherently bad or wrong. Everything else in nature functions the same way.

Just as I don't see foxes as malevolent or villainous for hunting rabbits, but if the rabbits were capable, I wouldn't fault them either for ripping the foxes' throats out in return.

There is something both beautiful and tragic about seeing all forms of life, all organisms, doing their damnedest to fight to survive. If I were a mortal person in that village or a Shiki, I wouldn't behave any differently toward the opposing side. Just as I eat chickens, turkeys, goats, ducks, crabs, and a lot of other organisms now for survival but also a certain quality of life and pleasure. Both the doctor and Sunako are noble in their own ways. I haven't really seen a character in this anime yet whose actions cannot be easily logically justified. Except Megumi. She's just a miserable bitch.
WatchTillTandavaJul 29, 2019 2:35 PM
Nov 21, 2019 4:19 PM
Dec 2012
what website can i watch the shiki specials????
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Specials Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 2, 2011

122 by SouthRzVa »»
Dec 23, 2023 2:16 PM

» 9 new specials called Seishin`s Reminiscence?

astra_moon - Oct 8, 2020

3 by frack »»
Oct 29, 2020 4:19 PM

» Shiki Specials Discussion ( 1 2 )

Memphi - Dec 30, 2010

53 by hacker09 »»
Oct 5, 2020 9:54 AM

» Where do these fit?

ronri - Jun 28, 2012

4 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 18, 2015 3:30 AM

» shiki Original Soundtrack Mini Album Blanc

toons - May 28, 2011

2 by Valentiln »»
Jun 14, 2011 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.