Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Director's Regret For Failure of Yumekui Merry Disappoints Manga Author

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 31, 2011 12:31 AM
May 2011
That's why I don't like JC Staff doing original endings. It doesn't matter since the slow pacing was the biggest problem of the series throughout the season.

May 31, 2011 12:48 AM
Dec 2009
It was okay, really.
But the animation sucked when they faught.

Merry was cool though. :)
May 31, 2011 1:20 AM

Feb 2010
it ranged from normal to TOO NORMAL..,
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

May 31, 2011 1:37 AM
Dec 2007
I agree the script didn't go anywhere but the direction was fantastic though (Yamauchi is still one of the very best on the scene) and the atmosphere really well-developped, so it was enough for me to beat 90% of lesser animes released this year.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 31, 2011 1:38 AM

Nov 2007
iirc, Merry sold moderately well. Not nearly half as well as big hits like Madoka and IS, but it still did better than the vast majority of anime so I guess they did something right.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
May 31, 2011 1:51 AM

Mar 2009
I'm watching it and so far it's below average..
May 31, 2011 2:03 AM

Aug 2009
Pretty interesting at start and got boring afterwards, finished it thou.
May 31, 2011 2:37 AM

Jun 2010
It started off pretty good but went waaayyy downhill, and the ending was just totallly disappointing.
May 31, 2011 3:09 AM
Jan 2008
Anjira said:
guanhian said:
The animation is not bad but the plot progression was really, meh.
dtshyk said:
I don't understand the concept of 'moe' well and couldn't direct the action scenes well. I thought slow actions might be suitable for moe anime, but it was not a good idea.

What a great excuse.

Yeah, really. The issue of Merry being Moe or not should have nothing to do with the quality of the action sequences.

That 'excuse' is not for the failure. dtshyk is misleading you guys.
May 31, 2011 3:12 AM

Apr 2008
Wth only ''haters'' here o_O? Okay sucked that ending wasn't nicely wrapped up in the anime indeed (not a manga reader), but I still enjoyed this anime and thought it was much better than a whole lot of the other anime released in the same season...
May 31, 2011 4:20 AM
Mar 2010
Straw-Hat-Matt said:
Wth only ''haters'' here o_O? Okay sucked that ending wasn't nicely wrapped up in the anime indeed (not a manga reader), but I still enjoyed this anime and thought it was much better than a whole lot of the other anime released in the same season...
Probably because it really did end poorly. I really liked the start, and iirc, i had rated the first few eps at 8/10 (or 7, not sure), but it really went downhill, and became increasingly boring. I ended up giving it a 5/10, only because the beginning was good, and only finished it because i had nothing better to do. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it was not really worth watching past the first half or so.
May 31, 2011 4:21 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yamauchi Shigeyasu you asshole.

I thought it was good and even if some say it wasn't THAT good, it was definitely not a failure.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 31, 2011 5:35 AM
Feb 2011
I'd be kinda sad to hear that from the director too if I was the mangaka.

I will admit that I had trouble finishing Yumekui Merry. It just seemed like there was something wrong with it that I couldn't put my finger on, like it was missing something, but I'm not sure what. However, in the end I was glad that I had watched it all.

The manga is a lot better though, but it's normal for the source material to be better.
May 31, 2011 6:01 AM

Jan 2010
imo the ending was really crappy but i wouldnt say it was a failure. honestly when i saw that it was getting an anime adaption i thought they was rushing it abit cause the manga was still fresh and doesnt have that many releases. truly they should wait for about another year let the manga get ahead and prob do a redo on the whole series but stick to the manga a bit more and not go off on their own direction.
May 31, 2011 6:01 AM

Sep 2010
well I thought it was a good anime, but I haven't read the manga, so I can't really compare.
Though it's true that the ending felt a bit rushed to me, they were in a tough situation, and suddenly in a blink of an eye it was done. But still, I gave it overall an 8, and it was one of the best previous season. Guess that says a lot about last seasons quality.

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here
May 31, 2011 6:40 AM

Nov 2008
I think it started in episode 8 that the pace became reeeeaaaaallly slow. Treesea arc could wrap it within 2 or 3 episodes at least when the actual number of episodes are 5, thus, I could say it was boring for most people XDD

But for me, the series is good. They added anime original characters without straying from the original story which gives more character development of the casts. The only problem for me was the Treesea arc because it was stretched too much.

Slow pacing is good but I don't think it would go well in action genre...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
May 31, 2011 6:46 AM

Nov 2008
well i thought it was ok
May 31, 2011 7:30 AM

Aug 2010
It had a strong start, but in the end it was a disappointment. My main issue was with the pacing, it felt off most of the episodes. It was a decent series, but definitely could have been much better. Oh well, the manga is still there...
May 31, 2011 8:37 AM

Feb 2008
i don't get the reason why certain anime do not follow the manga. perhaps to prevent repetitiveness of people who have already read the manga but the route they went was terrible. the manga progression was so much better it would have been fine to just go with it....

MOE? i didn't really get that from the anime.
May 31, 2011 9:25 AM

Jan 2010
I wonder Aria's director will say when that monstrosity is over with. JC Staff has really gone downhill with their novel adaptations and Aria is by far their worst one yet which is quite an accomplishment.
Ok™
May 31, 2011 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
i'm not gonna abandon ship to the hate brigade at the first sign of disapointment, i liked the anime.

you know who SHOULD be disapointed in their anime adaptation, whoever did freezing.
May 31, 2011 10:04 AM

Jun 2010
Maybe it's just my sometimes overly-accepting attitude but I loved the anime. Yes it did not follow the manga but, nonetheless it was a great anime original story. Freezing also was a good anime though most people bash it in the comment section. Yes the manga is 9.5 out of 10 better than the anime adaptation but come on people, enouh with the anime bashing.
May 31, 2011 2:55 PM

Dec 2009
Metty said:
well it did fail so bad i dropped it :V

This.
May 31, 2011 2:58 PM

Oct 2009
I thought the anime was good, the thing that let it down was the ending.

May 31, 2011 3:10 PM
Jul 2010
dtshyk said:
I don't understand the concept of 'moe' well and couldn't direct the action scenes well. I thought slow actions might be suitable for moe anime, but it was not a good idea.
The stupidest excuse ever. Really, the series had so much potential, the setting was great and the first two episodes made me expect so much out of it... But it ended up sucking. And the problem wasn't the action scenes. (Not that I understand what that has to do with moe anyway nor I think Yumekui Merry is a particularly "moe" anime...)
May 31, 2011 3:53 PM

Dec 2010
I was dissapointed but i really like the idea of dreams though
May 31, 2011 4:55 PM

Oct 2010
who decided to make this guy the director? ... It was bad but not terrible. a fair 6-7 rating.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

May 31, 2011 5:32 PM

Apr 2010
wow where's all the hate coming from? i like the show i liked it alot, characters where nice, art was good, music was great and john doe did exactly what i wanted himn too (never read the manga) it was one of my favs for that season >.>

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
May 31, 2011 5:40 PM

May 2010
looking at the cover, of course it's going to be a failure
May 31, 2011 5:50 PM

Aug 2009
It was an incredibly boring anime...so yeah.

May 31, 2011 6:11 PM

Jun 2010
After a while it didn't go well anymore, but the OP was awesome and I guess that's what got me. The fighting was also awesome, but there were many holes in it that they forgot to patch up.

May 31, 2011 7:42 PM

Sep 2009
Aaahh, words of shame and regret related to Yumekui Merry are like music to my ears.
May 31, 2011 9:53 PM

Jun 2010
honestly it was slow and kinda boring. didn't understand a thing.

Don't Hurt Me!
Jun 1, 2011 2:32 AM

Sep 2010
meh the anime was okay but not too bad, guess it could have been better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2011 12:42 PM

Jul 2008
I would never want my manga to be adapted by a director so self-deprecating.
Jun 1, 2011 3:26 PM

Sep 2010
GarLogan78 said:
I would never want my manga to be adapted by a director so self-deprecating.

yeah honestly. "it didn't sell as well as madoka? oh well sorry it was such a miserable failure, better luck next time" isn't what you want to hear from the guy you entrusted your story to. what an ass.
Jun 6, 2011 7:53 PM
Dec 2009
i like the anime, except for the end...
Jun 6, 2011 7:59 PM

Jul 2008
Can't be helped, he didn't understand moe.
Aug 23, 2011 1:56 PM
Nov 2009
Well atleast I enjoyed it very much ^^
Too bad for you other guys :P
YOOUUUUU SHALL NOT PAAAASS!!

Sep 4, 2011 6:36 PM

May 2010
You guys are kind of being assholes to the director. Do you realize how hard those people work? Enough with this "you're excuse wasn't good enough", you've got no right to demand excuses from the director anyways, unless you happen to be the mangaka or work for the studio!
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 11, 2011 9:41 PM

Mar 2008
I don't know if i would say I loved it, but it was pretty good, the end could have been better.
Oct 25, 2011 5:53 PM

Jan 2009
This is how the series could've been improved.
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=249299
Oct 25, 2011 6:13 PM

Dec 2010
I went in watching it thinking it had potential but then it sort of fell flat...I guess I know why now.

Oct 25, 2011 6:34 PM

Sep 2011
The anime wasn't that bad as some people make it out to be but it still could've been better and yes I know the ending was bleh but at least it got me into the manga of Merry which is better.
Oct 26, 2011 1:26 AM

Sep 2011
It wasn't so bad.
Oct 26, 2011 2:04 AM
Oct 2011
I enjoyed the first half of it which followed the manga, but the anime-original parts were really bad IMO.
Dec 13, 2011 9:49 PM

May 2010
jmal said:
Seabury said:
You guys are kind of being assholes to the director. Do you realize how hard those people work? Enough with this "you're excuse wasn't good enough", you've got no right to demand excuses from the director anyways, unless you happen to be the mangaka or work for the studio!

How hard he works has nothing to do with whether his direction philosophy was logical or appropriate to the material. Even if we don't have a "right to demand excuses", he's the one who voluntarily presented one to the public, and his comments were being judged accordingly.

Yeah, the comments above mine were along the lines of "what an ass". Because he was talking about the anime honestly, he offended the mangaka, which is fair enough. The way these comments sound, as a director you have no right to talk about your failures. You're not allowed to publicly reminisce about what you could have done better without a bunch of dicks who have never accomplished anything half as impressive calling you an asshole and demanding you make better excuses next time. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as overly hostile here, I just don't appreciate the disrespectful comments, especially coming from entitled fans who probably didn't even pay for it! Complain about the series all you want, but please stop taking out your frustration on the people who worked day and night to create it.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 14, 2011 5:48 AM

Oct 2009
Moe Moe, Kyunn~!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2011 9:51 PM

May 2010
jmal said:

Heh, I did import every JP BD of Merry, actually... I'm not sure why, I guess I blame Merry's delicious design (and the posters are nice), as there are other shows I've passed on that are better, but oh well, I loved it until the end (well, and the really mediocre fight scenes).

Really though, if you can't blame a clearly misguided director for a show's flaws, you can't blame anyone. I'll agree that the wording was strong from some but the guy's excuses/explanations are just bewildering and hard to take seriously.

I think the director is probably to blame for the shows flaws since the topic of the thread is basically about him admitting such a thing. I think his explanation made sense though, because the other series I'd seen from him (casshern sins) was pretty much the opposite of moe. He jumped into something that he wasn't quite ready for, and instead of sticking to the book he tried to experiment by making slow fight scenes because he thought it would fit moe better. But it turns out he was wrong, his experiment failed. I'd still rather have a director who takes risks and messes up than a director who plays it safe and makes the same stuff we always see.

Of course, I could see why the director would feel guilty over such a thing since he's being paid to do it, and because he let down the mangaka with a botched adaption. I agree with the mangaka that it was a bit rude to all the other people who worked on it to talk about the flaws, but hell, at least he's being honest! Would you rather have Yamakan's "this is good, I don't know what's wrong with everybody" reaction? I think as a director he should at least wait a couple of years before discussing the flaws of his own work, but at the same time I think the mangaka's being a bit oversensitive.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 23, 2011 12:17 AM

Dec 2011
Both're cool to Me although the manga is somewhat better, really.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

22 by Piromysl »»
30 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
9 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.