Forum Settings
Forums

Review: Increase Minimum Character Count/Add Character Count [Accepted]

New
May 30, 2011 12:28 PM
Jan 2009
It's often that I see reviews with like two lines that say nothing but "lol i liek dis is was cool". That doesn't benefit anyone. There should be like, a 600 character minimum for submitted reviews, since if you have less to say than that it generally just isn't comprehensive an opinion enough to be helpful to anyone. Discuss and make it happen.

Current Minimum Character Count: 500 chars (9/29/2015)

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
_Ghost_Sep 29, 2015 10:35 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 2011 12:50 PM

Jun 2008
There are a lot of problems with the review feature and this is one of them.

I support the idea of a character minimum and I'd say make it even higher.. like 1500 minimum. (or even higher than that.. my favourite reviewer on this site pumps out reviews that are up to 8500 characters long.. Now thats a real review)

Sadly though this may not happen.. I've seen a lot of suggestions regarding the review section of anime and nothing ever comes to fruition.
kinoholicMay 30, 2011 12:55 PM
May 30, 2011 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
For now, if you see these short reviews, just report them. I will usually remove them.
May 30, 2011 3:05 PM

Dec 2007
Making that restriction will only make people end their reviews with "minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit" until they can hit the submit key. There's no cure for stupidity.
May 30, 2011 3:07 PM

May 2011
Maybe we should include a word bank for reviews lol.
NekoLoLです。初音ミクが好きです。
May 31, 2011 12:17 AM
Jan 2009
Aside from the brevity and dumbness of some reviews, I think the system's fine and dandy. The Recommendations thing is what needs to be overhauled. They seem to be ordered by what got posted first rather than what makes sense, and when two users recommend the same thing, the first one submitted will always be the one prominently displayed even if the other one is more in-depth and logical.
May 31, 2011 2:13 AM

Feb 2008
Nyron said:
Aside from the brevity and dumbness of some reviews, I think the system's fine and dandy. The Recommendations thing is what needs to be overhauled. They seem to be ordered by what got posted first rather than what makes sense, and when two users recommend the same thing, the first one submitted will always be the one prominently displayed even if the other one is more in-depth and logical.
They're ordered by who registered first, so precedence is given to older users. I don't know if that's a great system but it's about as good as any other, excluding votes, which Xinil has said he doesn't want to implement.

You're supposed to vote on the quality of the recs by making a rec of your own; if you agree with the top rec, make another identical rec and state your reasons. If you disagree, find a better match and create that rec.

Theoretically, this should work perfectly but since most people are lazy and unwilling to make recs, it doesn't work very well. Blame the other users, I guess.
May 31, 2011 5:08 AM

Aug 2008
Chavez said:
Making that restriction will only make people end their reviews with "minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit minimum character limit" until they can hit the submit key. There's no cure for stupidity.
I agree, probably not showing reviews until a mod review them may solve the problem.
May 31, 2011 6:55 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Just to note: there is already a minimum (unless it recently was removed, which I think not). It's just not specified and not very long.
May 31, 2011 9:00 AM

Jun 2008
SweetMonia said:
Chavez said:
I agree, probably not showing reviews until a mod review them may solve the problem.

I agree with that idea. Sure it increases the work load but maybe you could just increase the task force on mal if someone is willing to do the job.

Maybe even take the review moderator idea that was posted awhile back into thought. I still think that would be a good idea.
May 31, 2011 11:36 AM

Sep 2010
I was reading some reviews and noticed short review's and also noticed they were already reported I see people are starting to get a hint.
Kineta said:
Just to note: there is already a minimum (unless it recently was removed, which I think not). It's just not specified and not very long.
As for that Why not add a more clear explanation ? provide a link to a specific thread perhaps ....Or show a preview of how It shouldn't be done as there are people that don't know... and that's why they write a review in that manner.
Haters gonna hate the ones that keep it real.
May 31, 2011 2:37 PM
Jan 2009
I don't agree with the "moderators having to look at reviews beforehand" idea. Not only would it increase work load(and it really wouldn't have any benefits different from flagging bad reviews), it might also produce conflicts of interest where mod bias might come into play and they won't put up a review because they disagree with the content. It should definitely be up to the user population at large as to whether a review is garbage or not.

They're ordered by who registered first, so precedence is given to older users. I don't know if that's a great system but it's about as good as any other, excluding votes, which Xinil has said he doesn't want to implement.

That doesn't seem like a good system at all... Registration date alone shouldn't give users validity over others. I'd think it'd be based on something like their contribution data, like how many reviews they have submitted or what their total like/dislike ratio is. Or maybe even their anime/manga time stats or something. But registration date? That seems silly.
May 31, 2011 9:35 PM

Jun 2008
Nyron said:
moderator bias.

Thats not really a good argument against it since that already comes into play with a lot of the other things they do on this site. You just got to be selective with who you choose for the position.
May 31, 2011 9:55 PM
Jan 2009
Kinoholic said:
Nyron said:
moderator bias.

Thats not really a good argument against it since that already comes into play with a lot of the other things they do on this site. You just got to be selective with who you choose for the position.

mod selection decisions on this site are questionable at best. I don't think making them a flaming hoop to jump through to submit a review is a great idea, that's all.
Jun 1, 2011 2:15 PM

Aug 2008
Nyron said:
Kinoholic said:
Nyron said:
moderator bias.

mod selection decisions on this site are questionable at best. I don't think making them a flaming hoop to jump through to submit a review is a great idea, that's all.
I think that mainly depends on if mods are going to decide if the review is following a well-defined rules for reviews or read the review and judge on their quality(with their own judge), my suggestion was about the first one.
Jun 1, 2011 8:49 PM

Feb 2010
Just make it as "a moderator will review the review before it will be posted."
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jun 2, 2011 7:50 AM
Jan 2009
Cashdaxxx said:

No really, that'd suck for every party involved.
Jun 2, 2011 8:03 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Cashdaxxx said:

We would basically need moderators exclusively for that job at that point.
Jun 2, 2011 8:10 AM

Apr 2008
Brand said:
Cashdaxxx said:

We would basically need moderators exclusively for that job at that point.
Indeed.

I'm not against the idea as quality>quantity, and some QC is definitely needed, but freedom of expression etc.

Furthermore, you'd need guidelines on what needs to be in a review (or what standards it needs to achieve), which will stifle creativity, just like the previous review rating system (characters, story scores etc.).
Jun 2, 2011 8:27 AM

Feb 2010
Sohei said:
Indeed.

I'm not against the idea as quality>quantity, and some QC is definitely needed, but freedom of expression etc.

Furthermore, you'd need guidelines on what needs to be in a review (or what standards it needs to achieve), which will stifle creativity, just like the previous review rating system (characters, story scores etc.).
I don't think it would stifle creativity too much. It's just that certain reviews will be filtered out before it will be posted. Reviews that are trolly, incomprehensible, off-topic, and/or offensive. The community can keep the same old rules.
Nyron said:
Cashdaxxx said:
No really, that'd suck for every party involved.
Actually, it promotes your idea. One way or the other.
CashdaxJun 2, 2011 8:37 AM
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jun 2, 2011 2:22 PM
Jan 2009
Actually, it promotes your idea. One way or the other.

Quality control is one thing, but personally I like my style of reviewing, while mods bound to some sort of content filter policy might not.
Jun 2, 2011 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
I think introducing a minimum word count would be a step in the right direction, but there is plenty more that ought to be done.

The main problem I have with extremely short reviews is not that they are short themselves, but that often people will then write several reviews in a short space of time, taking up a lot of space on the 'reviews' page.

I think it is unfair that someone who has spent a lot of time and effort on their reviews should be given less exposure than someone who churns out 3 or 4 reviews in the space of an hour. These reviews will also be of lesser quality than the ones people have actually put effort into.

I would also like to see an end to the old '1 episode review' becuase these are written purely to attract the votes of people who have already seen the episode and are of no practical use to anyone.

So if you ask me:

• Set a minimum number of episodes before allowing reviews to be written
  • Set a 24 hour waiting period between posting reviews.
  • Set a minimum word count of around 500 words per review.

Also, I do not agree with allowing mods to decide whether or not a review can be posted. They should only have the authority to remove reviews that fail to meet acceptable criteria.
Jun 3, 2011 5:35 AM

Apr 2008
AnnoKano said:

24 hours is way too steep, even for thorough reviews.

A minimum number of episodes doesn't work either. How would this work with series such as Gundam Unicorn or Hellsing Ultimate? You'd be waiting years before someone posts a review.
Jun 3, 2011 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
Sohei said:
AnnoKano said:

24 hours is way too steep, even for thorough reviews.

I make a personal point of waiting twenty four hours between posting reviews. The reviews page has 20 reviews on each page, so if one person posts 5 reviews in quick succession they will take up one quater of the space. Few bother to check beyond the second page of reviews.

I also make a point of negatively voting the reviews of anyone who posts several reviews in quick succession, although to be honest these reviews are generally of such poor quality I would have voted them down even if they had been posted 24 hours apart.

A minimum number of episodes doesn't work either. How would this work with series such as Gundam Unicorn or Hellsing Ultimate? You'd be waiting years before someone posts a review.

I'm afraid I'm not familar with the release patterns of either of those shows; if they are simply 'long running shows' then when I suggested setting a minimum number of episodes, I meant a figure rather than a percentage:

Say a minimum episode count of 3 was used, then you would have to have watched at least 3 episodes, regardless of whether the show was twelve episodes long or two hundred episodes long.

If these shows just don't have a regular release schedule, perhaps the minimum episode count restriction could be limited to just TV series?
Jun 3, 2011 7:06 PM

Apr 2008
I can't speak for Hellsing Ultimate's release time for the first three episodes (as I have not waited for them), but for Gundam Unicorn that would mean roughly waiting 1-2 years (if not more) before the first three episodes were released. It is also impossible to split them up as it is indeed one OVA.

As for limiting the restrictions to shows with a regular release schedule, that would work, but it would of course require quite a bit of coding, how much i don't know, but probably enough for Xinil to not make it a priority compared to other issues on MAL.
Jun 3, 2011 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
Sohei said:
As for limiting the restrictions to shows with a regular release schedule, that would work, but it would of course require quite a bit of coding, how much i don't know, but probably enough for Xinil to not make it a priority compared to other issues on MAL.

As I don't have any knowledge of coding either I cannot say how much coding it would require.

However, I would make the point that this is only really a problem for TV series, and they are already distinguished from OVAs and Movies in the 'type' field... so I would speculate that you could set it so the rule only applies to anime classified as 'TV'.

My knowledge of coding Databases barely scratches the surface of MS Excell, let alone making your own for scratch- so I can't be sure, but I'd think that wouldn't to difficult, relatively speaking.

I'd think that the bigger issue would be introducing a minimum number of episodes prior to reviewing- I'd imagine that there are all kinds of potential problems with that part.

I still think it would be worth doing, though. I do understand however that there are bigger holes to fix in the good ship MAL, and that not everyone sees this as a 'problem'.

Though I think it would significantly improve the quality of reviews on the whole if it were to be implemented. Just my 2 cents.
Jun 4, 2011 1:08 AM

Feb 2010
AnnoKano said:
Also, I do not agree with allowing mods to decide whether or not a review can be posted. They should only have the authority to remove reviews that fail to meet acceptable criteria.
Mods will just filter out fail reviews. Read my previous post about it.
AnnoKano said:
Set a minimum number of episodes before allowing reviews to be written
No, early reviews gives other users a hint if the series is watchable or not.
CashdaxJun 4, 2011 2:05 AM

Jun 4, 2011 1:17 AM

May 2008
Going to have to agree with this suggestion. There needs to be a minimum, and even if people post less there would be a warning that can deter at least some of them. Users who ignore the warning and post drivel to fill up the remaining space are more likely to get their review reported as well.

Set a minimum number of episodes before allowing reviews to be written

I'm not so sure about this one... It is stated right on the review how many episodes have been watched so it is clear to the reader. The reviews are already weighted by helpful/not helpful anyhow, and users who are determined to write gibberish reviews will just lie about the number.

As for time restrictions.... I don't really see much benefit. Timers actually are difficult to implement codewise, and I think a lot of review writers like to write reviews offline before copying them back to mal. If there are a lot of posts from one user in a short period, it could be a spammer sure, but that is something that should be handled at a webserver level instead (perhaps with an apache module like mod_security).

I am a banana.
Jul 4, 2011 5:58 PM

Oct 2009
Since it's somewhat related, I'm going to suggest some type of time period in which reviews become "active" for newly aired anime. I'm getting tired of seeing reviews when only 1 episode has been released... just post in the episode discussion...
GogettersJul 4, 2011 6:01 PM
Jul 5, 2011 3:55 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm, well how about a feature to prevent reviewers from taking up several slots on the front page at once?

That would reduce exposure to those who write multiple reviews in a short space of time, and that way people who spam the reviews page would get fewer votes anyway.
Jul 8, 2011 2:32 PM
Jan 2009
Gogetters said:
Since it's somewhat related, I'm going to suggest some type of time period in which reviews become "active" for newly aired anime. I'm getting tired of seeing reviews when only 1 episode has been released... just post in the episode discussion...

Episode 1 reviews aren't a bad thing. It's good to know if a show has high prospects or not.
Jul 8, 2011 4:11 PM

Apr 2008
Episode 1 reviews aren't a bad thing. It's good to know if a show has high prospects or not.

I'd have to disagree with that. Many series depending on their plots, may take several episodes to truly start progressing and pulling in the viewer. It won't be fair to the series as a whole if people are turning away because they are reading first episode reviews that are painting it out to be bad, when they could very well turn out to be brilliant. I agree with many that they should be based on a mininum episodes seen as that allows you to get a more concrete feel to the series you are intending to review.
Jul 10, 2011 12:24 AM

Feb 2010
Sir_Inqed said:
I'd have to disagree with that. Many series depending on their plots, may take several episodes to truly start progressing and pulling in the viewer. It won't be fair to the series as a whole if people are turning away because they are reading first episode reviews that are painting it out to be bad, when they could very well turn out to be brilliant. I agree with many that they should be based on a mininum episodes seen as that allows you to get a more concrete feel to the series you are intending to review.
It's called "first impressions". And it helps, slow paced anime(s) are usually hyped so it's not really a problem. And yeah, don't forget that reviews are subjective. I think anyone can understand the difference between underrated or overrated reviews. (not to mention that there are at least two(2) persons that will write a one-episode-review, therefore more perspectives are being read.)
AnnoKano said:
Hmm, well how about a feature to prevent reviewers from taking up several slots on the front page at once?

That would reduce exposure to those who write multiple reviews in a short space of time, and that way people who spam the reviews page would get fewer votes anyway.
Then the review page should show the persons who got most "HELPFUL" votes(I think I've seen the page where it shows this one but I forgot where). It can be classified as elitism but good quality reviews are guaranteed if they are prioritized.
CashdaxJul 10, 2011 12:34 AM

Jul 24, 2011 3:06 PM

Apr 2007
Cashdaxxx said:
Sir_Inqed said:
It's called "first impressions". And it helps, slow paced anime(s) are usually hyped so it's not really a problem. And yeah, don't forget that reviews are subjective. I think anyone can understand the difference between underrated or overrated reviews. (not to mention that there are at least two(2) persons that will write a one-episode-review, therefore more perspectives are being read.)
AnnoKano said:

Then the review page should show the persons who got most "HELPFUL" votes(I think I've seen the page where it shows this one but I forgot where). It can be classified as elitism but good quality reviews are guaranteed if they are prioritized.

Reviews after one episode. Whats the rush? I guess it is kind of ok to rate a 13 episode anime after one episode but what about those with 26, 52? It's kind of like judging a manga by the first page. It would be an underestimation to just quit right away and not see what the anime has to offer. Reviews after watching the first episode usually are too biased and makes people jump to the wrong conclusions.

As for the reviews, i strongly support the moderator's reviews before allowing reviews to be posted. I would even take on the job to do this.
Jul 25, 2011 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
Cashdaxxx said:

I have only one question for you:

Would you trust a one episode review of a series that has finished airing?

If you answer 'no', then you can't really argue that a one episode review is of much use, because you are already admitting that it is not enough time to make a valid judgement on whether or not a show is good.

What's more, do people really read one episode reviews to judge whether or not they should watch a show? It only takes 30 mins to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth carrying on.

No, because that would result in established reviewers taking precedence over newer reviewers, regardless of the quality of the new reviewer's writing.

However, I fail to see how it would be 'elitism' to promote good quality reviews- if your writing is better than someone elses, you deserve to be given more prominence.

Preventing people from posting several reviews in a short space of time, or indeed only allowing one review to be displayed on the 'Reviews' page, in my view, is the fairest way to resolve the issue.

kuradachi said:
Reviews after one episode. Whats the rush? I guess it is kind of ok to rate a 13 episode anime after one episode but what about those with 26, 52? It's kind of like judging a manga by the first page. It would be an underestimation to just quit right away and not see what the anime has to offer. Reviews after watching the first episode usually are too biased and makes people jump to the wrong conclusions.

As for the reviews, i strongly support the moderator's reviews before allowing reviews to be posted. I would even take on the job to do this.

I think any kind of one episode review is a waste of time, even for shows lasting 13 epiosdes. If anything, the longer a series is the more likely it is to follow a repetitive format.

Reviews are subjective and are 'biased' by definition; I think what you mean to say is that they are too polarised, as they generally receive very high or very low scores.
Jul 28, 2011 6:45 PM

Feb 2010
AnnoKano said:
I have only one question for you:

Would you trust a one episode review of a series that has finished airing?

If you answer 'no', then you can't really argue that a one episode review is of much use, because you are already admitting that it is not enough time to make a valid judgement on whether or not a show is good.

What's more, do people really read one episode reviews to judge whether or not they should watch a show? It only takes 30 mins to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth carrying on.
I don't think I've said anything related to a finished anime. When I say 'first impressions' it means that the anime is still airing, there's no one in MAL(I think) who posts one-episode-reviews on finished anime(s). They go straight to the forums related to the anime they watched.
*And yeah, don't forget to look at the date. Most MAL users often forget to update their review.

AnnoKano said:
No, because that would result in established reviewers taking precedence over newer reviewers, regardless of the quality of the new reviewer's writing.

However, I fail to see how it would be 'elitism' to promote good quality reviews- if your writing is better than someone elses, you deserve to be given more prominence.

Preventing people from posting several reviews in a short space of time, or indeed only allowing one review to be displayed on the 'Reviews' page, in my view, is the fairest way to resolve the issue.
The 'Review page' currently shows the person who has the oldest account over the others on the first page, I'm just expanding the idea. And when I say 'elitism on reviews' that means the person already made good reviews that got a LOT of helpful votes.

Jul 29, 2011 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
Cashdaxxx said:
I don't think I've said anything related to a finished anime. When I say 'first impressions' it means that the anime is still airing, there's no one in MAL(I think) who posts one-episode-reviews on finished anime(s). They go straight to the forums related to the anime they watched.
*And yeah, don't forget to look at the date. Most MAL users often forget to update their review.

I am aware of that; I was asked you that question to make a point.

If you wouldn't trust a review of a single episode for a finished show, then you are admitting that 'first impressions' as you call them, are meaningless.

Cashdaxxx said:
The 'Review page' currently shows the person who has the oldest account over the others on the first page, I'm just expanding the idea. And when I say 'elitism on reviews' that means the person already made good reviews that got a LOT of helpful votes.

The review page currently lists reviews in the order they were posted; the age of an account is not taken into consideration. Hence the term 'most recent''

I'm sorry to disappoint you but emphasising random words with bold text and capital letters does not make it any easier to understand the point you are trying to make.

Maybe you should try the time to write CLEAR AND CONCISE explanations or CHECKING YOUR FACTS instead of being a condescending jackass when someone is unable to understand precisely what you mean when you make vague statements like "I think" and say "It can be classified as elitism" without bothering to explain why.
Aug 12, 2011 5:47 AM

Mar 2011
Yeh i support this idea too, the people that give short reviews also sometimes say spoilers... like "oh i hate it cuz he didnt get that girl" or something, people wouldnt bother typing paragraphs just to say that if there was a minimum character number:)
Aug 13, 2011 2:46 PM

Feb 2007
2500 character minimum to post a review. a good chunk of amount of writing, big enough to include the smallest formatted reviews, only requiring slightly extra finesse and attention to detail. in all honesty, its about the size of the first paragraph through the end of my story score section on my hoshi no umi no amuri review (2512 characters). thats actually pretty small all things considered.

if people are going out of their way to get around it or abuse the minimum, just enforce a no review policy upon that user. if this doesnt exist yet, the ability to prevent users from writing reviews, make one. this is not brain surgery.

there also should be an option to write a spoiler review, option feature to tag it as such during the writing process, perhaps something that is automatically "hidden" from non-members as to not spoil it for people just stumbling across things on the site. and a user-specific setting to turn off viewing them while logged in (minus things that have been set to completed on your list). anyone abuses it and doesnt mark a spoiler review as a spoiler (using common sense on this one) the option to ban them from making anymore reviews should be considered.
Aug 14, 2011 11:34 PM

Feb 2010
AnnoKano said:
Maybe you should try the time to write CLEAR AND CONCISE explanations or CHECKING YOUR FACTS instead of being a condescending jackass when someone is unable to understand precisely what you mean when you make vague statements like "I think" and say "It can be classified as elitism" without bothering to explain why.
lol, it's the voice in your head that made you think that I'm shouting when I posted it on bold.
AnnoKano said:
Cashdaxxx said:
I am aware of that; I was asked you that question to make a point.

If you wouldn't trust a review of a single episode for a finished show, then you are admitting that 'first impressions' as you call them, are meaningless.
We are currently circling on a loophole.
AnnoKano said:
The review page currently lists reviews in the order they were posted; the age of an account is not taken into consideration. Hence the term 'most recent''
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=298905&show=0#msg10795049
CashdaxAug 14, 2011 11:38 PM

Aug 15, 2011 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
Cashdaxxx said:
lol, it's the voice in your head that made you think that I'm shouting when I posted it on bold.

I think you should be more concerned about the voice in your own head, because I never made any accusation or implication that you were 'shouting'.

On the other hand, now that you've dug yourself in a bit, tell me... what were you trying to achieve by posting in bold?

And while you're at it, why not address the point you were actually trying to make?

Cashdaxxx said:

In what sense is it a loophole?

You wouldn't trust a single episode review of a completed show because you wouldn't be able to consider it authorative.For the same reason, you cannot take a 'single episode review' of an incomplete show to be authorative.

The only reason people give them any consideration at all, is because the shows featured are not complete; however as we concluded earlier reviews of incomplete shows are not authorative.

Tell you what- find me some single episode review of a 11+ episode series that isn't vague about story and plot, offers fair scores that are not too polarised, manages to go into reasonable levels of detail about the show and does not repeatedly use variations of the phrases 'so far' and 'but it's only the first episode".

Good luck!

Cashdaxxx said:

Perhaps you ought to read that post again, very carefully this time, and see if you can spot your mistake.

Hint: Kuroshiroi is not talking about reviews.

(This is why I suggested you check your facts before you engage in an argument).
Aug 15, 2011 3:27 AM

Feb 2010
AnnoKano said:
Cashdaxxx said:

I think you should be more concerned about the voice in your own head, because I never made any accusation or implication that you were 'shouting'.

On the other hand, now that you've dug yourself in a bit, tell me... what were you trying to achieve by posting in bold?

And while you're at it, why not address the point you were actually trying to make?
Point? The sentence itself is my point, in it's simplest form. Bold letters? Emphasis.

AnnoKano said:
Cashdaxxx said:
In what sense is it a loophole?You wouldn't trust a single episode review of a completed show because you wouldn't be able to consider it authorative.For the same reason, you cannot take a 'single episode review' of an incomplete show to be authorative.

The only reason people give them any consideration at all, is because the shows featured are not complete; however as we concluded earlier reviews of incomplete shows are not authorative.
Loophole: I like it, I use it, I take advantage of it, an early warning, the part where I can decide either I'll watch it or not. While you don't want it and you keep nagging that it's for no purpose.
Reviews: 'First Impressions', headache.jpg
*Why can't you just understand? facepalm.jpg
AnnoKano said:
Cashdaxxx said:
Perhaps you ought to read that post again, very carefully this time, and see if you can spot your mistake.

Hint: Kuroshiroi is not talking about reviews.
(This is why I suggested you check your facts before you engage in an argument).
Ohw, I'm wrong with this part.
AnnoKano said:
Tell you what- find me some single episode review of a 11+ episode series that isn't vague about story and plot, offers fair scores that are not too polarised, manages to go into reasonable levels of detail about the show and *does not repeatedly use variations of the phrases 'so far' and 'but it's only the first episode".

Good luck!
10-second facepalm.jpg, there's no point in debating someone who is really unreasonable. I've said it more like 5 times already, FIRST Impressions.
HINT: *the words 'so far' and 'but it's only the first episode' is needed on those reviews. Without them, it would be prejudicial to the WHOLE story. Vague? gahhhhhh.

*And sorry for my current grammar, I just can't stand this stupidity. facepalm.jpg + pity
*And this is really off-topic.
CashdaxAug 15, 2011 3:31 AM

Aug 15, 2011 4:24 PM

Feb 2007
i say this based on the other thread that touches on this topic of first impression reviews 'start a discussion for first impressions, not a review,' although im certain there was yet another topic on it where someone else voiced the same thing, but i couldnt find it.

how hard is it to just hop into the episode discussion, why do people feel the need to start a review and +1 or +10 it, and even if there was a reasonable median number being used (3-8), how could you possibly put emphasis on how good the show is after one episode. the start could be really boring but quickly, or eventually become good, or someone could adjust to the pace and it could somehow become less important and bare less of an impact. it could start off really well and then skew off on a tangent and become dull, or terrible. these kinds of reviews rarely do anyone any real favors, lets face it.

i watch the first episode, feel the absolute need to talk about it.. hop on in the episode discussion (or start one), state how i would score it so far, for which reasons, open the floor up to anyone else. i guess the real problem with this right now, is not as many people make use of the episode discussions (i always skip after finishing lol), but if it were mandatory for these kinds of things, you would probably see a hell of a lot more use out of it all over. this brings in open discussion about the manga (if there is one relating to it, as an adaptation obviously) and perhaps what to expect, good or bad.

theres no need to start a review after 1-2 episodes watched, or after a fraction (1/4th, 1/3rd, 2/3rd, 3/4th.. might as well finish at this point rofl) of the series watched, huge shounen (or otherwise) shows as the exception.
Aug 15, 2011 8:27 PM

Jun 2007
MAL is too far gone to be a trusted review source, at this stage. Years of reviews consisting of only a paragraph or two, poor spelling/grammar and a rating reversal bug make it a lost cause. Plus, the average user only has the mental capacity to read a few sentences, at most.

The entire system would need a overhaul, starting with posting restrictions being put in place and ending with the introduction of review moderators. And that isn't going to happen when Mr. Admin struggles enough just to keep the site semi-functional.
Aug 15, 2011 8:51 PM

Feb 2007
couldnt have said it better myself, tbh.

cheers
Aug 16, 2011 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
@Despised & AironicallyHuman

Around 95% of reviews on this website are hogwash, but there are still some people who try to write good reviews, and that's not just the people on the 'top reviewers' page.

The problem is that it is so difficult for a newcomer to get anywhere that many people probably give up quickly.

But I think the reviews are worth saving, because they are a good way for new writers to get their foot in the door and to get some exposure. You can start your own website to write reviews, but you are unlikely to get many readers unless you have links. MAL is a good place to develop such things.

@Cashdaxxx-

I understand you are saying first episode reviews are good for 'first impressions'. It's just that I'm saying they're worthless, a criticism which you've yet to answer for.

Cashdaxxx said:
Point? The sentence itself is my point, in it's simplest form. Bold letters? Emphasis.

Ah, I see now. Actually, now that I think about it I recall someone saying something like that before:

AnnoKano said:
I'm sorry to disappoint you but emphasising random words with bold text and capital letters does not make it any easier to understand the point you are trying to make.

Oh yeah, I did.

Cashdaxxx said:
Loophole: I like it, I use it, I take advantage of it, an early warning, the part where I can decide either I'll watch it or not. While you don't want it and you keep nagging that it's for no purpose.

You might want to look up the definition of the word 'loophole'.

I keep nagging that it is for no purpose because you have yet to answer my criticisms. Repeating your opinions over and over again isn't going to convince anyone; you actually have to justify that opinion if you want to get anywhere.

Cashdaxxx said:
Reviews: 'First Impressions', headache.jpg
*Why can't you just understand? facepalm.jpg

Why can't you take the time to explain yourself properly?

Cashdaxxx10-second facepalm.jpg, there's no point in debating someone who is really unreasonable. I've said it more like 5 times already, FIRST Impressions.
HINT: *the words 'so far' and 'but it's only the first episode' is needed on those reviews. Without them, it would be prejudicial to the WHOLE story. Vague? gahhhhhh.

*And sorry for my current grammar, I just can't stand this stupidity. facepalm.jpg + pity
*And this is really off-topic.[/quote said:

Your current grammar?

Sorry, but your grammar has been consistently bad, from your first post until now. It is just as difficult to understand you now as it was earlier.

As for saying first impressions- yes, you've stated thats what they are and you've made it quite clear you are in favour of them -- but you have yet to provide any justification of your position, or provide any counter-arguments against the point I made.

You know Cashdaxxx, normally when I encounter people like you on this forum, I show little tollerance of their ways before I start making fun of them. I showed restraint this time, because this is a somewhat serious topic and I actually hope to see something good come out of it. However, it seems that no matter what you do, obnoxious people will still behave obnoxiously.

You say you're having a hard time dealing with this 'stupidity' but thus far, the only person who has demonstrated their own stupidity has been yourself. You've come on this thread, stated your point of view without bothering to justify it, and don't understand why some people disagree with you.

When I politely asked you for an explanation (more than you deserved, quite frankly) not only did you fail to make yourself any clearer, you talked to me as if I was a moron. Frankly, you're lucky I even attempted to listen to you afterwards.

You've demonstrated a lack of awareness regarding the reviewing system (ie. your previous mix up about reviews and reccomendations), you forget what was said in previous replies and you have yet to formulate anything resembling a coherent argument.

And you have the bare faced cheek to suggest that I am the one who is stupid?

Christ, it feels like I'm having a debate with a six year old.
Aug 16, 2011 10:37 PM

Feb 2010
First impressions of a series is what I call for short and early review for an airing anime. Which in the reviewer's perspective: writes about what he/she feels about the current episodes, either a positive or a negative review. It's not necessarily a full review for no one can't write one when it's not finished yet, otherwise it's more like a speculation.

They might seems worthless to you but it's a good way to avoid or to watch a series. Early reviews are subjective, therefore they are frequently compared to each other to get a result.

Politely? You were the first one to bear your fangs. I'm a jackass? Seriously? Because of bold letters?

Loophole: okay sure, a loop then.

AnnoKano said:
You say you're having a hard time dealing with this 'stupidity' but thus far, the only person who has demonstrated their own stupidity has been yourself. You've come on this thread, stated your point of view without bothering to justify it, and don't understand why some people disagree with you.
facepalm.jpg, Nobody can express their POV without justifying it. Read my posts first.

No, I'm five. And I know how to use bbcodes.

Aug 17, 2011 3:17 AM
Jul 2018
Cashdaxxx said:
First impressions of a series is what I call for short and early review for an airing anime. Which in the reviewer's perspective: writes about what he/she feels about the current episodes, either a positive or a negative review. It's not necessarily a full review for no one can't write one when it's not finished yet, otherwise it's more like a speculation.

They might seems worthless to you but it's a good way to avoid or to watch a series. Early reviews are subjective, therefore they are frequently compared to each other to get a result.

Politely? You were the first one to bear your fangs. I'm a jackass? Seriously? Because of bold letters?

I do not take kindly to being talked down to, and I found your tone to be rather condescending --particularly because you used bold and capital letters, and acted like I was asking you to explain the obvious.

Cashdaxxx said:
facepalm.jpg, Nobody can express their POV without justifying it. Read my posts first.

No, I'm five. And I know how to use bbcodes.

Of course you can state an opinion without justifying it.

No justification:

"I think cigarettes are bad for you"

With Justification:

"I think cigarettes are bad for you because they cause lung cancer, heart disease and other health problems"

When it comes to things like suggesting improvements for a website, simply stating your own opinion is not enough- you need to explain why you think something is a good idea.

You need to make a case.
Aug 17, 2011 3:32 AM

Apr 2007
Despised said:
i say this based on the other thread that touches on this topic of first impression reviews 'start a discussion for first impressions, not a review,' although im certain there was yet another topic on it where someone else voiced the same thing, but i couldnt find it.

how hard is it to just hop into the episode discussion, why do people feel the need to start a review and +1 or +10 it, and even if there was a reasonable median number being used (3-8), how could you possibly put emphasis on how good the show is after one episode. the start could be really boring but quickly, or eventually become good, or someone could adjust to the pace and it could somehow become less important and bare less of an impact. it could start off really well and then skew off on a tangent and become dull, or terrible. these kinds of reviews rarely do anyone any real favors, lets face it.

i watch the first episode, feel the absolute need to talk about it.. hop on in the episode discussion (or start one), state how i would score it so far, for which reasons, open the floor up to anyone else. i guess the real problem with this right now, is not as many people make use of the episode discussions (i always skip after finishing lol), but if it were mandatory for these kinds of things, you would probably see a hell of a lot more use out of it all over. this brings in open discussion about the manga (if there is one relating to it, as an adaptation obviously) and perhaps what to expect, good or bad.

theres no need to start a review after 1-2 episodes watched, or after a fraction (1/4th, 1/3rd, 2/3rd, 3/4th.. might as well finish at this point rofl) of the series watched, huge shounen (or otherwise) shows as the exception.

Yeah, these single episode reviews would definitely be better off as discussions. It really isn't fair to give a review of an entire anime based off of an episode. A review is an evaluation, not an impression, let alone a first impression. You can't review a whole series only after watching one episode. You can have impressions, but writing based on an impression of only one episode cannot be considered a review because it is not evaluating the series in its entirety. If the anime is going to finish airing anyway, why not watch everything and then review it? I can understand people that want to review anime like Detective Conan or One piece since they don't seem to be ending anytime soon.
Aug 17, 2011 9:31 AM
Feb 2010
There should also be a maximum character limit, since anyone can write 15,000 characters, but it takes skill to explain your position with 2000.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.