Forum Settings
Forums

Review: Increase Minimum Character Count/Add Character Count [Accepted]

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 26, 2011 4:50 AM

Feb 2010
Kuradachi said:
Yeah, these single episode reviews would definitely be better off as discussions. It really isn't fair to give a review of an entire anime based off of an episode. A review is an evaluation, not an impression, let alone a first impression. You can't review a whole series only after watching one episode. You can have impressions, but writing based on an impression of only one episode cannot be considered a review because it is not evaluating the series in its entirety. If the anime is going to finish airing anyway, why not watch everything and then review it? I can understand people that want to review anime like Detective Conan or One piece since they don't seem to be ending anytime soon.
I'm months late lol, though fortunately. Most reviewers now takes time to update their reviews (though not really by episode, but still). And yeah, what's the purpose of the "update" button btw?

1st ep -> review -> 2nd ep -> update -> 3rd ep -> update -> . . . . . . . -> last ep -> Final review
?
CashdaxOct 26, 2011 4:54 AM
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Oct 30, 2011 12:28 AM

Apr 2007
Cashdaxxx said:
Kuradachi said:
Yeah, these single episode reviews would definitely be better off as discussions. It really isn't fair to give a review of an entire anime based off of an episode. A review is an evaluation, not an impression, let alone a first impression. You can't review a whole series only after watching one episode. You can have impressions, but writing based on an impression of only one episode cannot be considered a review because it is not evaluating the series in its entirety. If the anime is going to finish airing anyway, why not watch everything and then review it? I can understand people that want to review anime like Detective Conan or One piece since they don't seem to be ending anytime soon.
I'm months late lol, though fortunately. Most reviewers now takes time to update their reviews (though not really by episode, but still). And yeah, what's the purpose of the "update" button btw?

1st ep -> review -> 2nd ep -> update -> 3rd ep -> update -> . . . . . . . -> last ep -> Final review
?

True, although that function would probably be better off for correction grammar or points of view if the person decides to rewatch it and would like to add new or change insights. Plus, there are people who don't bother with the update function anyway, unfortunately.
Dec 17, 2011 2:31 AM

Feb 2010
Everything above is resolved/forgotten.

Anyway..,

Okay, I'm reviving the thread.

Any second thoughts about "a moderator will review the reviews before it will be posted."

Seriously, look at the Reviews section.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Dec 31, 2011 12:49 AM
Aug 2008
Scoring is one of the first things people look at.
Secondly, any person that starts off with __ no or __ yes or you're X in a review will yield an immediate result.

Preferentially, the name of the user and the score should be hidden until the entire review is read...if you wanted to avoid helpful/unhelpful votes which bear no resemblance to the degree of helpfulness of the review.

I would say a minimum 200 word and a maximum 3000 word character limit would be suitable for most reviews. Those anime consisting of 72-350 episodes or whatever amount of innumerable episodes can have an extra 1000 words.

The idea is to make it concise and clear without being too superficial or shallow.
i.e. I lyke it because X so cool. X and Y relation is awesome. I cried in Z scene
i.e. As sufficiently stated, X industry has been producing Y set of anime. All Z populous expects such of anime of Y set. It has been so disappointing/awesome for most fans/haters/critics.

Not to mention, some people confuse the review's helpfulness with their personal feelings either toward the reviewer, the reviewer's score, or the agreeabilityness of the review itself with respect to the reader.
Jan 10, 2012 3:39 PM

Jun 2009
Any chance of an approved reviewer system?
Jan 10, 2012 5:17 PM

Jan 2011
And probably encourage those "Short Reviewers" that if they really have to say something they can always write it down in the "Comment" box in their respective anime list.
Sep 29, 2015 10:00 AM

Jan 2013
Though the original suggestion was to add a minimum character count in the first place. Which was 60 till today.

The minimum character count has been raised to 500.
Sep 29, 2015 10:17 AM

Dec 2014
_Ghost_ said:
Though the original suggestion was to add a minimum character count in the first place. Which was 60 till today.

This a good change. While this change works for most anime and manga out there to avoid "bad" reviews, what about the shorter anime/manga that only has 1 episode or 4 chapters? Most of those wouldn't need such lenghty reviews. I would say 350-400 words would be a better minimum.

Another thing: what would happen to the older reviews that don't meet the 500 minimum characters count?

Edit: I read it wrong, thought you meant "words" instead of characters lol.
NervinSep 29, 2015 10:25 AM
Sep 29, 2015 10:21 AM

Jan 2008
Will anything happen to the old reviews that have less than 500 that are still up?
Sep 29, 2015 10:34 AM

Oct 2014
_Ghost_ said:

nice
Sep 29, 2015 10:44 AM

Jan 2013
Nervin said:
_Ghost_ said:

This a good change. While this change works for most anime and manga out there to avoid "bad" reviews, what about the shorter anime/manga that only has 1 episode or 4 chapters? Most of those wouldn't need such lenghty reviews. I would say 350-400 words would be a better minimum.

Another thing: what would happen to the older reviews that don't meet the 500 minimum characters count?

Edit: I read it wrong, thought you meant "words" instead of characters lol.

Already posted reviews shouldn't be affected by the change, as in sudden disappearances.

500 characters is equal to a decent paragraph. As you stated there are shorter series where it would be hard to write a full-blow essay. (OVAs, ONAs, etc.) So 500 characters is going on the safe side
Sep 29, 2015 10:46 AM

Nov 2014
Sure did take some time to change this.

Sep 29, 2015 10:58 AM

Oct 2009
_Ghost_ said:

I thought it was raised a long time ago. I am not sure what the limit was, but it was definitely higher than 60
Feb 7, 2016 12:34 PM

Jul 2013
I was thinking of ideas on how to ensure high-quality reviews on MAL. This is one doable idea and one radical, unfeasible idea.

1. To prevent these short summaries or "so-called" one paragraph or short reviews, I think the review system should have the same rule as the forum: a minimum word limit. I think reviews should be at least 500 words. 500 words is feasible, even for one-shots or OVAs. No, all of my reviews aren't at least 500 words (the earlier ones at least), but I wouldn't mind abiding by these rules. 500 words is not hard to write. A lower word limit could be 300 but no less than that.

No, this will not stop people from copying and pasting the same thing repeatedly to reach this quota, but that's the purpose of the "Report" button. This could be the next step to providing higher quality reviews on MAL.

2. The radical, unfeasible idea I mentioned is an approval system set up by MAL. The Review Mods would check out reviews to determine if they fit the Review Guidelines before they're posted. This will prevent spam and low-quality reviews. However, I know it's a silly idea with the high traffic of reviews and low number of Review Mods we have. It is not as doable as the first one. The "Report" button is probably more effective anyway. Feel free to comment on this idea, too, if you wish.
Demi_VFeb 7, 2016 1:02 PM
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Feb 7, 2016 12:55 PM

Nov 2014
The only thing that would do is:

-This:
"I like this anime"

-Would look like this:
"I like this anime very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very ... much"

And would be a nuisance to those who are trying, but not capable to write that much.
Also where you can't write that much.
Feb 7, 2016 12:56 PM

Jul 2013
Delenai said:
The only thing that would do is:

-This:
"I like this anime"

-Would look like this:
"I like this anime very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very ... much"
As I mentioned in the OP, that's what the "Report" button is for. Let the mods take care of it.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Feb 7, 2016 1:00 PM

Nov 2014
@Demi_V Yeah I see you edited it, I loaded the page before that.
Feb 7, 2016 1:11 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
You should make an exception for really short stuff at the very least. You really don't need much text at all to talk about a 2-minute short series for example
Feb 7, 2016 1:55 PM

Jan 2013