Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2011 11:44 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
MAL has on the synopsis that this OVA "tells a critical part of the story between the TV show's Uoodo and Kummen arcs" and, since I'm currently in the middle of the Kummen arc, I thought I'd watch it.
The end result? I liked it and I didn't.

I liked that this is pretty similar to the series in atmosphere, soundtrack, etc.; but with better animation (this is still mid 80s though, so it's very outdated).

I didn't like the lack of past exposition, which was what I was expecting. "The TV series covered the Red Shoulders in some detail, we didn't get to see much of Chirico's time there or the people involved, and we get both of those here.", is what the synopsis says and, yet, there's very little scenes on Chirico's time in the Red Shoulders. We just know that Pailsen created the Red Shoulders in order to build the ultimate soldier, the result of which was Chirico. Chirico was against Pailsen's plan and, therefore, they tried to kill him... him and the other 3 guys. That's pretty much it.

It was still pretty good and should definitely be watched right after the end of the Uoodo arc (after episode 13).
Nov 12, 2011 10:49 AM

Jun 2010
In case you did watch it after the first fourth of the TV series, spoiler alert for the whole thing ahead.

Wow, this thing makes Ypilison even more Fyana's punching bag, doesn't it? Turns out he's in love with her because she kissed him when he was a day old. Then she tries to kill him several times because she was accidentally brainwashed to loved Chirico which fills him with bitterness and hatred, feelings that lead to his death.

Too bad the series was too busy with pseudo-religious nonsense to do anything with this. In fact it smells more like the kind of unintended consequences that sometimes arise from careless writing.

I find it kind of hard to have sympathy for these Red Shoulder guys in this because the TV series tells us that they were constantly committing atrocities.
FronzelNov 12, 2011 9:51 PM
Sep 4, 2019 1:23 PM

Jun 2014
I ended up watching this after finishing the series, but that's okay.

We got to see Ypsilon before he was fully corrupt, and it's a shame that he ended up that way. Chirico and the other ex-Red Shoulders carried out their mission, although Chirico was the only one of them to walk out of it alive. It's also the first time Chirico encountered Ypsilon, although the two never actually seen each other's faces at that point.

Aug 29, 2022 2:49 AM

Mar 2013
I wonder what's the deal with the part before OP. The quality, artstyle and designs (especially Chirico's hair) are noticeably different from the rest of the episode which is barely better than TV
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.