Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2011 11:30 PM

Dec 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Unfortunately we have a short chapter this time around :(

It starts with Aoki who has seemingly left Rin's house in a rush after having admitted to himself that he loved her. He beats himself up over that momentary lapse of judgment, including how he bought flowers for Rin, a sixth grade girl.

While in his distressed state, he comes across Kuro who calls him a lolicon and to quit walking like he's about to collapse. Upon hearing "lolicon" Aoki wonders if he is indeed one, and whether he should quit teaching to protect the children from himself. Although Aoki is only half-listening at this point, Kuro tells him that since he constantly fights with her instead of ignoring her, that's a sign that he doesn't really hate her. So she tells him to "Quit that! I'd rather die than like you."

Aoki however only hears the word "quit" and wonders aloud whether he should quit teaching. But he decides against it since Rin will surely notice his true feelings for her if he does that. But upon hearing Aoki wondering if he should quit, Kuro now finds herself in a tight spot of having to explain to Rin how she forced her beloved Aoki-sensei to resign, and she resolves to go on damage control.

Next scene, Aoki is in the staff lounge emoing about how students will forget teachers who worked so hard to teach and raise them. Shirai tells him that it doesn't matter if the students forget the teachers, all it matters is that they learned something. She uses the example of how most of us don't remember when we first learn that fire is hot, but we don't forget that lesson throughout our lives. So in effect, the teachers are the "sparks" to their lifetime of learning.

Aoki later faces Kuro who tries to tell him not to quit, but bungles her lines. Aoki gets the message anyway and tells her he's not going to quit. He also asks if she likes him, which elicits The Pregnant Pause from her. Aoki then tells her that he only thinks of her as his student and nothing more, which of course further agitates her XD

While Kuro rages against Aoki and all men in general, Aoki at that point realizes that he loves Kokonoe because of who she is, not because she's a kid. Which means he doesn't have to take any more of that "lolicon" crap from Kuro XD

In the end, when he's passing out pre-summer vacation report cards, he realizes that the kids he teaches are not supposed to remember him personally, just what he teaches. The chapter ends with him remembering how Rin told him he was born too early. He responds to her in silence, "No, you arrived too late."

=====

Well, that was somewhat anti-climactic. Also didn't like how it spookily felt like the last chapter to me. I wish I could see what happened during the immediate aftermath when he thought "I love you." but it can't be helped. Also, a bunch of things seemed to have been resolved too quickly and tidily, I wanted to see more drama. Well, I hope we'll see something in the coming summer vacation. Three stars.
Kokujin-kunMay 22, 2011 5:18 AM
May 22, 2011 1:46 AM

Sep 2007
Hey ...
It's more complicated like the thought ...
Anyways, that was a good chapter with Kuro. XD
May 22, 2011 2:06 AM

Jan 2008
Mine and Chiibi's posts from the chapter 71 discussion:

Chiibi said:

Aoki and Rin's relationship is very positive. He doesn't love Rin because she's a kid. He loves her because she is herself. They would love each other no matter what age they were. He figures this out when he hypothetically asks himself how he would feel if Rin was older and comes to the realization that he loves her. The age gap is the only thing holding him back. Aoki does not WANT to love her that way because he knows it would be wrong. But it's not like you can choose who you fall in love with. If he doesn't act on his feelings, there's nothing unhealthy about it.

Unlike Reiji was, Aoki's a decent, mentally healthy human being. I expect him to suppress his feelings and when Rin graduates from elementary school, to tell her, 'I'll wait for you" or something like that. :3

Panaru said:
Aoki is in no way a lolicon. It's everything about Rin that he loves, not the fact that she's got an underage body.

Imagine how wide my grin was when Aoki himself said almost word for word the exact same thing in this chapter?

Also, was it just me, or did Aoki look like a supreme badass in several panels in this chapter?
PanaruMay 22, 2011 4:25 AM
May 22, 2011 3:56 AM
Jan 2011
oh ... finaly 72 released, but for me that chp. was sadly. Rin graduated primary school and (how i guess) later she, just forget him, about feeling to him 'couse Aoki tries not to show her his feelings, the fact that he loved her as a woman rather than a child, but even if he had to say, then what will change? She did so and so graduate, and if she just "played into the love" that transcends all this was only a childish and pranks ... Ah Aoki ..

But i still certainly hope, THEY WILL TOGETHER in the end. Aoki/Rin Forever ^_^
will wait for chapter 72, oh .. long and the same)
misterTMay 22, 2011 4:02 AM
May 22, 2011 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
Kokujin-kun said:
Also didn't like how it spookily felt like the last chapter to me.

Yeah sort of. When people started mentioning it was so close to the ending i am really paranoid right now. They only completed the first trimester right?
May 22, 2011 7:00 AM

Jun 2009
Chapter... too... short!

I hope they are not serious with those "you were born too early" and Aoki's "you were born too late" because I seriously doubt Rin would even pay attention or notice a kid Aoki. I mean he would just be an average boy just like those in her class.

Anyway, I'm in full-support of lolicon ending.
May 22, 2011 7:21 AM

Aug 2010
This is starting to feel like it's coming to an end. :/
May 22, 2011 7:25 AM

Mar 2009
-Quasar said:
Chapter... too... short!

I hope they are not serious with those "you were born too early" and Aoki's "you were born too late" because I seriously doubt Rin would even pay attention or notice a kid Aoki. I mean he would just be an average boy just like those in her class.

Anyway, I'm in full-support of lolicon ending.

I agree with the above.

Aoki and Rin's relationship only went so well because Aoki was able to adapt and learn from the problems that Rin presented to him. This maturity would've been completely lost if Aoki was a little kid along with Rin.

If the two of them were the same age in adult form things may also go wrong given how dense Aoki is to those around (look at boin sensei lol ). There's also Reiji to consider. If you look back at the story Reiji was pretty much set to brainwash and mold Rin, without Aoki there to interfere with this and set them both down a healthier path who knows what kind of person Rin would've grown up to be.

May 22, 2011 8:31 AM

Apr 2008
This is just... no. Aoki, just cut yourself some slack and don't become a Reiji #2. Or at least don't let this becoming physical. The kid has still somewhere to grow up - not just physically, but in soul term as well.
I know I'm the minority here, but I don't support the lolicon ending, even if I know a relationship with Boin would be a dead end (he doesn't feel anything about her and it would be forced). What I support is, in a long term, they'll both acknowledge their affection to each other's life and that helped them becoming better people. Nothing more.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
May 22, 2011 9:59 AM

Dec 2007
helur said:
Yeah sort of. When people started mentioning it was so close to the ending i am really paranoid right now. They only completed the first trimester right?

Yeah, so fortunately we should have plenty of KnJ left, though maybe for one or two more volumes :(
May 22, 2011 12:18 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Great Kuro chapter.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 22, 2011 6:30 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
After 9 volumes he's finally asking himself if he's a lolicon?!? So up to this point he didn't think he was one??? I mean getting particularly close to a student, visiting them after school hours, allowing them into your home, being aroused and played with by a kid, kissed her and he's just asking himself now if he's A DAMN LOLICON!!

He is completely oblivious of himself.
May 22, 2011 9:08 PM

Nov 2008
Well, I guess it's quite clear what the subject of debate for this particular chapter is:

Is the conclusion of Aoki's self-assessment a correct one? If an adult likes a child for who she is, as Aoki himself claims, rather than the fact that it is a child, does that mean he's not a lolicon?

Speaking from my own opinion, while I'm on the fence, I am leaning toward agreeing with Aoki on his own judgment of himself. A lot of that has to do with where I draw on what makes a lolicon and what doesn't. For me, the meaning of the term lolicon is defined by actions and thoughts that are purely sexual and is barred from anything in the territory of things that are more romantic in nature.

Again, that's just me. I can understand that it can go all over the spectrum depending on who you ask, and I'm curious in hearing everyone else's opinion. It'd make for an interesting discussion, as long as we don't devolve into cheap insults, accusations, and ad hominem. =P
May 26, 2011 11:40 AM

Aug 2010
Easy. Aoki isn't a pedophile (lolicon) - he's a kokonoephile!

Ofc, most witchhunters wouldn't see it that way.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
May 27, 2011 6:16 PM

Nov 2009
The way things have wound up, I really believe that he should let Kokonoe know exactly how he feels. All he would need to do is wait for her to get to an age where it would at least be borderline acceptable.

However, when she leaves his class which I have to assume will be due to happen soon, I'd wonder what would happen next.

The fact he is tearing himself up over it and is playing the role of a close friend for all of Rin's problems already should surely tell him that though he doesnt need to act on his feelings. He should at least voice them to the one person that truly matters...that of course being Rin.

This is my own opinion and sure as hell what I would do...I couldnt see that being a problem as Rin has matured enough not to brag that fact to the whole school etc. Maybe Kuro or Mimi at a push but I reckon she would keep that to herself.

I really hope this isnt the end, I adore this manga and the characters in it.
May 28, 2011 1:58 PM

Aug 2010
A very short, but interesting chapter, I wonder how things will end. At this point it really could go anywhere, so I can only hope for a happy ending.
May 28, 2011 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
heartbreaking chapter,

most likely the ending will be a kokonoe/aoki pairing, BUT i would be interested to see if they'll do the unexpected...

something like aoki accepting reality and settling on hoin sensei.

blah not sure lol, but im very much looking forward to the next chapter. im thinking timeskip..
Jun 12, 2011 11:47 AM

Sep 2010
So dramatic such a cliffhanger , considerign I spent about 5 hours reading the manga straight.
Jun 26, 2011 3:30 PM

Mar 2011
So that's the end of the first term in their last year?

Wow, time has flown by, I should give this a re-read at some point as one chapter a month can break the flow somewhat!

Funny Kuro and Mimi (again) and a touching moment at the end!

Ahhh! The tumultuous nature of relationships with children!
Jun 28, 2011 5:17 PM
Jun 2011
to those who wrote that Rin wouldn't notice Aoki remember he some how ignored her saying she is just a kid so he would propably have to "force" his way to her heart... personally I think the texts Rin's "you were born too early" and Aoki's "you were born too late" are not realy about but the wish for their love to be possible with no fuss over it from anyone ( in Rin's case) and being unable to be with the person you realised were waiting for so long to meet... this whole wondering "what if they were born at the same year " has no point it's about their connection... I think it's the most romantic moment in any manga ... Damn it I almost cried after Aokis words:( if it ever comes to this in anime I will cry a lot, and by all standards it is still rare for a Man to cry.
Dec 29, 2011 5:49 PM
Sep 2011
"to those who wrote that Rin wouldn't notice Aoki remember he some how ignored her saying she is just a kid so he would propably have to "force" his way to her heart... personally I think the texts Rin's "you were born too early" and Aoki's "you were born too late" are not realy about but the wish for their love to be possible with no fuss over it from anyone ( in Rin's case) and being unable to be with the person you realised were waiting for so long to meet... this whole wondering "what if they were born at the same year " has no point it's about their connection... I think it's the most romantic moment in any manga ... Damn it I almost cried after Aokis words:( if it ever comes to this in anime I will cry a lot, and by all standards it is still rare for a Man to cry."

Me too.

I believe Aoki is a guy who is dense about women and clumsy with them, so he's likely to always have trouble getting one. On the other kind, I believe that, as depicted, he's too kind and gentle to have sex with Rin who's still really a child. On the third hand, though, the age of consent to sex in Japan, I've heard, is just 16. I've also read that their law say that if an adult man is found having a relationship with someone under some later age (which I forget), he has to make some kind of formal declaration that he intends to marry her, or be charged with a crime. This means that such relationships are recognized there, in a sense. But there would go his teaching career, surely.

What a mess! If he and Rin part I personally am going to cry buckets (I'm a man.), both because he has been such a good man when Rin needed one in her life so much, and because I will pity him. Suddenly he'll have to contemplate a "Rin-less" life, including the liklihood that it's going to be a pretty long time before he finds someone else to love.
Jul 19, 2013 10:10 AM

Mar 2010
gomennasai said:
This is just... no. Aoki, just cut yourself some slack and don't become a Reiji #2. Or at least don't let this becoming physical. The kid has still somewhere to grow up - not just physically, but in soul term as well.
I know I'm the minority here, but I don't support the lolicon ending, even if I know a relationship with Boin would be a dead end (he doesn't feel anything about her and it would be forced). What I support is, in a long term, they'll both acknowledge their affection to each other's life and that helped them becoming better people. Nothing more.

I totally agree with you so youre not in a minority ^^
Its not healthy even if hes no pedophile or lolicon shes still a child .. Its forbidden
Dec 30, 2013 9:37 PM

Apr 2012
So he's finally come to terms with his feelings, huh?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kodomo no Jikan Chapter 57 Discussion

Kokujin-kun - Jan 22, 2010

18 by mazuchi »»
Jan 17, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Kodomo no Jikan Chapter 93 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Nyoko-Kun - Apr 23, 2013

88 by Kitsu-nee »»
Oct 28, 2023 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kodomo no Jikan Chapter 35 Discussion

Faust721 - Mar 22, 2008

12 by Fake_Saffron »»
Oct 27, 2023 1:27 AM

Poll: » Kodomo no Jikan Chapter 86 Discussion

Kokujin-kun - Aug 23, 2012

20 by Potimas »»
Oct 26, 2023 6:44 PM

Poll: » Kodomo no Jikan Chapter 64 Discussion

Kokujin-kun - Aug 21, 2010

9 by Kitsu-nee »»
Oct 12, 2023 1:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.