Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 15, 2011 7:39 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ohana's humming to OP sounds so good.

Survival game group lol~ vs. Tomoe nee-san.

Preview... OMG!! is that Kouichi (KajiKaji's role) in real time (not in memory or something like that)?? He's getting more screen time.
tsubasaloverMay 15, 2011 7:53 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 15, 2011 7:57 AM

Jul 2009
Glad we got to learn more about Tomoe who was a bit... ignored. She's cool.

Fun episode. Can't wait for some drama to kick in though, I'm getting enough funny from Nichijou :P

Glad there was less Minko too. Hopefully she'll progress out of the bitch role soon.
PsychodrakeMay 15, 2011 8:01 AM
May 15, 2011 8:00 AM

Nov 2008
I think I found the woman who could protect me from the assassin's bullet, Tomoe was kick ass this episode, those nice senses and reflexes with the hose really got the special forces all washed up. She would do well in the army. I loved how she directed the other members of the survival group.

5/5

May 15, 2011 8:06 AM

May 2009
Great episode, 5/5
May 15, 2011 8:12 AM

Jul 2010
5/5

btw, is this real?
"supervision of the Kanazawa dialect :The Noto family"
May 15, 2011 8:14 AM

Mar 2010
It had a lot of comical stuff in it, i bet it's because of the character they focused on in this episode. I had some nice laughs :D They drowned the writer! :'D

But uuh.. i like it when it's more serious though. No Tohru :(

GRRRRR!
LylaazMay 15, 2011 8:51 AM
May 15, 2011 8:54 AM

Aug 2010
Funny episode, but if those guys are eating mre's like everyday they would be very unhealthy. Those things are disgusting anyways...
May 15, 2011 8:55 AM

Apr 2010
looks like next episode will be serious! cant wait :D
May 15, 2011 9:01 AM

Jul 2010
enjoyable episode. though it was kinda filler. i think we will have more episodes like this, because there are 26 eps. crunchyroll really need some good translators.
May 15, 2011 9:02 AM

Nov 2009
Is it just me who feel that this ep's kind of normal, nothing special :( ? ...
I mean they have thought of good stuff that made more screen-time for the supportive char like Tomoe but there's something wrong with this ep that I couldn't enjoy it like those earlier ... it's kinda lame, especially the funny scenes...
May 15, 2011 9:15 AM

May 2011
That was quite the silly episode. reminds me of EP3 a bit. Starts off serious but turns into a silly farce. It reminds me of the British comedic style in some of their shows. I don't think I'd go as far as to call it a filler show. Though i think the episode definitely deviated from the previous one. The episode does build the character development of Tomoe, the forgotten head waitress, a lot. Also shows some bonding between her and the girls as well. I have a feeling the possible love triangle will begin to show itself soon.

Silly it may have been, but it was incredibly well done and enjoyable to watch. As someone who's getting older, I can so relate to what Tomoe is feeling. That sense that life is passing you by and you need to do something really hits you at around your early 30s.

The silly paint ball warriors were exactly the thing Tomoe needed when she was being pressured to come home and leave the Inn. Though her plan failed in it's specific goal, It succeeded in it's ultimate mission to make her feel "alright" again.

Also, the end where the girls called her "sis" was touching. It really took the bonding of the girls to that next level.

As for next episode. Shit's going to get serious. Okami looks like she's fallen ill and needed an ambulance. It's to the point where Ohana calls her Okaasa.
CirrisMay 15, 2011 9:22 AM
May 15, 2011 9:41 AM

Dec 2009
Super cute episode. <33
I thought she'd end up dating one of the army guys, but I was totally off.
I hope by the end of the series she does have a love interest? xD
Anyway Tomoe was super awesome, and kicked some ass. <33
4.5/5 <33
May 15, 2011 9:47 AM

Apr 2009
Tomoe trying to quit the job and let those armymen out but actually getting herself promoted and getting the armymen actually have the best time in the inn was predictable, but that was a silly episode. Glad to hear we're going to see something more serious next week.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
May 15, 2011 9:48 AM

Jun 2010
Those army guys were so funny. When they went into the hot springs, that one guys reaction was so funny and they way he kept getting hit with the fake bullets. At the end he was just face down in the water. I kept laughing at that part. I think that Okami knows what Tomoe wanted to do, but in the end everything worked out great, so she probably just overlooked the situation.

In the next episode, it looks like it get serious. I wonder what will happen.

May 15, 2011 10:19 AM

May 2009
Adorable episode. Much love for Tomoe. Fight on! And watching Jiro get blasted by pellets was hilarious. Soooo funny.
May 15, 2011 10:26 AM

Jul 2010
haha Tomoe is awesome ! :D she's my new favourite /salute Commander!
May 15, 2011 10:31 AM

Jul 2009
ah i love this anime, it's so funny and heart warming at the same time.
looks like shits gonna get serious next episode though
May 15, 2011 10:42 AM

Apr 2010
So those where what Japanese would call military otaku.
Who just seemed to be out for peeping on the girls and pretty much failed at every attempt.

Minko being all happy over her food being appreciated was kind of nice to see her face was so cute.
Tomoe certainly had it hard with her mother glad that my parents don't want any grand children since that sounds like a nightmare.
I found it funny how Tomoe was trying to get rid of those military guys.

I heard military rations are pretty bad tho i never tasted them myself which makes me wonder are they really as bad as they say they are?
And are there really people in this world who like them when there is other food available?
May 15, 2011 10:45 AM

Nov 2010
OMG, KOUCHI IN THE PREVIEW :3
Awesome episode ^^
May 15, 2011 11:04 AM

Jan 2011
Aversa said:
...Tomoe certainly had it hard with her mother glad that my parents don't want any grand children since that sounds like a nightmare.
I heard military rations are pretty bad tho i never tasted them myself which makes me wonder are they really as bad as they say they are?
And are there really people in this world who like them when there is other food available?

Give your parents 10 or 15 years and see what they say about grandkids then.

Yes.

A few. But then I once had a brother-in-law who lived on hotdogs and popcorn (and looked it), so just about anything is possible diet-wise. The key is that those guys were in the throes of re-enactment. Think of it as the equivalent of an rpg convention where everyone is dressed as hobbits and orcs and speaks with what their conception is of a medieval accent. Their reaction to what Tomoe did is roughly what the reaction of a group of otakus would be if the waitresses at the Holiday Inn where a convention was held suddenly started doing cosplay.

Anyway, a nice light episode and some background on Tomoe. It looks like she had hopes for the writer. Can't wait for the serious stuff next week.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 15, 2011 11:08 AM

Dec 2010
While the jokes around the guests were a bit silly, I appreciate the indepth look into one of the supporting characters. That's what a good slice of life show should be about, not just daily routine and cute situations, but actually getting to know the characters and their quirks.
May 15, 2011 11:27 AM

Jan 2008
YAAAAAHHHHHHH JESUS.
May 15, 2011 11:29 AM

Nov 2008
nznznz said:
While the jokes around the guests were a bit silly, I appreciate the indepth look into one of the supporting characters. That's what a good slice of life show should be about, not just daily routine and cute situations, but actually getting to know the characters and their quirks.
THIS!! thank you very much for stating what's really on my mind XDD I hope Tomoe will find her lovelife at the inn she's working but I guess that's not gonna happen at the moment XDD

Anyway, I want to play the "survival game"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
May 15, 2011 11:59 AM

Aug 2009
WOW This episode was boring!!!

I was hoping for some Tohru x Ohana action,,but I guess not....

BUT...

IS KO COMMING BACK?!?!?!? ;_______;
I WAITED WEEKS FOR HIM TO COME BACK!!!! ;______;

PLEASE TELL ME HES COMMMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
May 15, 2011 12:30 PM

Apr 2007
I'm almost giving up on this show. I can't handle the uncertainty in the tone, if it's meant to be a comedy, if it's meant to be dramatic. Surely not all dramas are without humor, but when you have completely silly episodes like this one and episode 3... I feel a bit cheated, because this is not the heartwarming series I expected from the synopsis. Hopefully next episode will be better, but if not... I'm not willing to go through this mess.
May 15, 2011 12:30 PM
Dec 2007

Survival gamers? Are you serious?

This episode sort of lacked substance, so it filled the void with whacky comedy. I like comedy, but only if it's well done and fits in well with other aspects of the series. In this case, I dare say the comedy wasn't that funny and made me wonder whether I was watching the right series. I just don't get what's so funny about pathetic survival gamers trying to sneak a peek at bathing girls or Tomoe's attempts to get fired by the manager.

It pained me to watch this episode since it started off so well with Tomoe's thoughts about her future. She is in her thirties and clearly feels the pressure to marry and to start a family. Her friends are all married and her parents keep talking about their unborn grandchildren. It's an issue that has a lot of potential if dealt with correctly. Hanasaku Iroha however once again (ab-)uses an interesting topic as pretext for nonsensical comedy. The very same happened in episode 6 in which the inn's financial crisis lead to fanservice and Ohana's twisted logic concerning risque outfits. It feels like the series is slapping its own face by presenting the potential it has got in the beginning and then quickly ruining all of it.

The conclusion at the end made amends for this episode's mediocre execution, though. Tomoe decided not to give in to her mother but to continue the job she loves. I feel like the series is subconsciously following a pattern: Introduce an interesting premise, continue with a weak plot that does not realize the premise's potential at all, add a little comedy and fanservice, then end it with a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It chooses a good starting point and knows what the outcome should be, but doesn't know how to get there. I really hope they're gonna fix this problem, the preview at least looks very very promising.

2/5
May 15, 2011 12:40 PM

Jul 2010
Going at a 7/7 5 star episode streak, I love this anime and I love how they got a seemingly background character put into the spotlight for a rockin episode, next one looked like chef had heart attack, hopefully nothing bad happens D:
May 15, 2011 12:46 PM

May 2010
These survival gamers really amused me. lol

Anyway, an ep focused on Tomoe wasn't bad. I really wanted to see her falling in love tho.

Next ep seems good.
May 15, 2011 12:49 PM

Sep 2009
The survival games were definitely really interesting. xD I dunno, I didn't expect much from this show except for the "great art" that everyone was talking about so I'm not really too disappointed. I feel like this show works better with more drama then humor though since that actually seemed to make the plot of the series progress. Eh.

Next episode looks promising, I can't wait for Ko's return. /fist shake
May 15, 2011 1:09 PM

Feb 2011
Lulexiaa said:
WOW This episode was boring!!!

I was hoping for some Tohru x Ohana action,,but I guess not....

BUT...

IS KO COMMING BACK?!?!?!? ;_______;
I WAITED WEEKS FOR HIM TO COME BACK!!!! ;______;

PLEASE TELL ME HES COMMMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting for some TxO too. :( I was so excited all week long but alas....

-looks off into the sky-
May 15, 2011 1:27 PM

Oct 2009
Cute, Ohana was humming the OP theme while in the bath.

Noto Mamiko saying "Okay baby, get some!" is priceless.
May 15, 2011 1:33 PM

Aug 2008
zimno said:
5/5

btw, is this real?
"supervision of the Kanazawa dialect :The Noto family"

Wow, good eye! It does seem like Noto's family helped with the Kanazawa dialect. Interesting, considering Noto Mamiko (tomoe's seiyuu) is from Kanazawa, i believe.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 15, 2011 1:39 PM

Feb 2010
There was a crime committed. There was NO Tohru in this episode. wtf.

Good episode.... but lack of Tohru...no no no!
May 15, 2011 1:48 PM
May 2011
Another great episode. I like airsoft myself, and got a kick out of watching the uh..gentlemen run about. A Tomoe-centric episode was nice to watch too, and I look forward to seeing a good Nakochi episode along similar lines. Listening to Ohana hum the theme made me laugh. It was a very light episode in feel, compared to the previous ones.
May 15, 2011 2:00 PM

Apr 2009
survival gamers.. now that's something i rarely see or have never seen before in this kind of anime.. and they're pretty fun, too.. just the right one to get the stress out of Tomoe.. thumbs up for uniqueness, i guess..

so head count.. hentai writer, heron, survival gamers.. hahh.. i wonder if there's more in the future..

and forget about Tohru and Ko if it's not their episodes.. this ain't shoujo..

also, Ohana humming the OP theme is so win..
May 15, 2011 2:12 PM

Sep 2009
jigglypuff said:
I thought she'd end up dating one of the army guys, but I was totally off.
I hope by the end of the series she does have a love interest? xD
Anyway Tomoe was super awesome, and kicked some ass. <33
this but-but why no Tooru??!!??!! No screen time at all? What the??!!

Finally! Ko is coming back!...next episode looks dramatic.
May 15, 2011 2:26 PM

Sep 2009
No tooru and ko-chan :(
Oh but don't have bitch-minchi and its good that they focus on Tomoe since she haven't really get much screentime :D
But still, not as good as the other episodes. I don't like those army otakus.
May 15, 2011 2:26 PM
Nov 2010
Seems like this episode was supposed to serve as a comic relief before more dramatic events next week, but still, I enjoyed so so so much! "Jesus!" was priceless :D:D
I'm dying to see Ko in the next episode!

May 15, 2011 2:58 PM

Apr 2009
Tomoe was awsome! if only could give higher then 5/5
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

May 15, 2011 3:33 PM

Jun 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:

Finally! Ko is coming back!...next episode looks dramatic.

Cant wait to see Ko reuniting with Ohana in next ep. i bet they will be blushing and tremendously happy. Also i can also guess that everyone at the Inn will be teasing Ohana and calling Ko her boyfriend XD
and the most important of all, we´ll have for sure a jealous Tooru!

OMG cant wait to see. Finally the love triangle will be official? XP I want to see Tooru and Ko so much*.*

About this ep...was funny but very random....

ワンダーランド花 ♥

May 15, 2011 3:51 PM

Dec 2010
geezer said:
I feel like the series is subconsciously following a pattern: Introduce an interesting premise, continue with a weak plot that does not realize the premise's potential at all, add a little comedy and fanservice, then end it with a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It chooses a good starting point and knows what the outcome should be, but doesn't know how to get there. I really hope they're gonna fix this problem, the preview at least looks very very promising.

Very true. Although the previous episodes made it pretty clear this is closer to stuff like K-On than a more serious josei show. So I enjoy it as what it is now and maybe it suprises me again and finds back to the shape of the first two episodes.
May 15, 2011 4:03 PM
Aug 2010
so i liked this episode it was fun but i am more excited about next week
May 15, 2011 4:14 PM

Feb 2008
Ohana grandma feeling ill, Kouchi are taking the train to visit Ohana, this is just my predictation.

Well pretty standard episode but still good :D

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 15, 2011 4:41 PM
Dec 2007
Really nice episode, and even better than usual on the comedy side. Next one will probably be more dramatic though.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 15, 2011 5:34 PM

Jul 2010
after reading most of posts, i wonder why people just want ohana x tohru romance development instead some interesting slice of life story. the first two episodes which were the best, there weren't any ohana x tohru or some love triangle and after that series has been failed to provide what it should be. all we are seeing is cheap story with fanservice and filler episodes.

i enjoyed this episode upto some extent because of noto momiko but it was clearly a filler episode, with guests playing survival game and bothering inn waitresses and manager was happy because they are customers, so they can do anything they want. wow. and tomoe took responsibility to stop them because she wanted to quit the job? great.

geezer said:

Survival gamers? Are you serious?

This episode sort of lacked substance, so it filled the void with whacky comedy. I like comedy, but only if it's well done and fits in well with other aspects of the series. In this case, I dare say the comedy wasn't that funny and made me wonder whether I was watching the right series. I just don't get what's so funny about pathetic survival gamers trying to sneak a peek at bathing girls or Tomoe's attempts to get fired by the manager.

It pained me to watch this episode since it started off so well with Tomoe's thoughts about her future. She is in her thirties and clearly feels the pressure to marry and to start a family. Her friends are all married and her parents keep talking about their unborn grandchildren. It's an issue that has a lot of potential if dealt with correctly. Hanasaku Iroha however once again (ab-)uses an interesting topic as pretext for nonsensical comedy. The very same happened in episode 6 in which the inn's financial crisis lead to fanservice and Ohana's twisted logic concerning risque outfits. It feels like the series is slapping its own face by presenting the potential it has got in the beginning and then quickly ruining all of it.

The conclusion at the end made amends for this episode's mediocre execution, though. Tomoe decided not to give in to her mother but to continue the job she loves. I feel like the series is subconsciously following a pattern: Introduce an interesting premise, continue with a weak plot that does not realize the premise's potential at all, add a little comedy and fanservice, then end it with a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It chooses a good starting point and knows what the outcome should be, but doesn't know how to get there. I really hope they're gonna fix this problem, the preview at least looks very very promising.

Agree with everything you said. i also hope they fix this problem or maybe i will drop this series.
May 15, 2011 6:23 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode! This anime just can't go wrong!
May 15, 2011 6:39 PM

Jan 2011
Funny episode; I hope this is as close to a filler as it gets. Next episode is !!
I wonder if Ko is going to be all happy to see Ohana or if he goes all Yandere O.o
May 15, 2011 8:37 PM

Feb 2011
From a shy sawako to a fiercely commander tomoe that's our noto mamiko <3

geezus! lol RWJ much?
May 15, 2011 9:11 PM

Jul 2010
XxshizxX said:
From a shy sawako to a fiercely commander tomoe that's our noto mamiko <3
Hah, I know! It's weird that this is the same person that voiced Sawako and Ichinose Kotomi.

What were those things on Tomoe's face at the end of the episode?

Ko might be on his way to the inn, then? I don't know if the next episode will focus on that, but the implication that he's coming looks like it's there. I don't want to get my hopes up. And I'm like the only one that does not want a Tooru, Ohana, Ko love triangle. >_>
May 15, 2011 9:17 PM

Jan 2011
i Enjoyed my Tomoe Focused Episode but when will i get my Yuina?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

327 by SlammyHammy »»
Jan 31, 8:45 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2011

173 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.