Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 13, 2011 12:54 PM

Jul 2010
Great developments in this episode! We learned many things about most of the characters and the drama was very nice...

Anjou really hangs around the wrong kind of people. Good think Yukiatsu came along just in time. I despise guys who (try to) take advantage of a girl SO much! :@

The conversation on the train was pretty interesting as well. Anjou confessed that she likes Jintan to Yukiatsu. I didn't really understand the "he left us behind" part tough. I'm guessing he was talking about Jintan, but what did he mean exactly?

Besides all that, Poppo is getting pretty serious about wanting to see Menma. Maybe he got a little too eager and therefore made Menma all emotional. My question since last episode remains the same: why can't Menma just give a sign! Like a sound? Or the tears dropping on the floor?

Dammit, another week of waiting to see where this goes! >.<

May 13, 2011 1:29 PM

Nov 2010
This episode solidifies this anime as one of my all time favorites. I love the consistency of the episodes in terms of quality, and that is extremely hard and rare these days. Definitely the best of the season.

tsubasalover said:
And Earthquake warning when Yukiatsu's confession...

"Yukiatsu, I know you're confessin' and everythin', and I'll let you finish in a minute, but there's an earthquake coming!!!" XD
May 13, 2011 1:30 PM

Feb 2010
Am I wrong in thinking that Yukiatsu said "THEY left us behind..." or "We've been left behind.." not "he left us behind"? Cuz that makes perfect sense. Yukiatsu is into menma and Anjou is into Jintan...and in a way, both Menma and Jintan have left Yukiatsu/Anjou behind. Menma in death and Jintan in becoming a recluse (also with his feelings for Menma.)

Anyways... I want everyone to be able to see poor Menma :(!

Can't wait until next week...
May 13, 2011 1:51 PM

Apr 2009
Nice save Matsuyuki. Loved the episode, Want More
May 13, 2011 2:10 PM

May 2009
pilipino101 said:
I don't really get what's going on, or rather i'm missing background. Matsuyuki confessed Honma died because of him, but he didn't specify how...

I think he thought she died because of him because a) if he hadn't stopped her, she could have catched up with Jinta before reaching the stream, thus dying, or b) he thought Menma got confused because of his confession, and couldn't pay attention to her surroundings, making a mistake while running, thus dying.
May 13, 2011 2:21 PM

Sep 2009
That was an interesting episode. It really makes me wonder how this'll end since everyone else can't see Menma and it'd be a little anticlimactic if everyone could like just suddenly see her or something.

I dunno. Even though Yukiatsu is a little crazy you can understand where he's coming from. Derp.
May 13, 2011 2:44 PM

Sep 2009
So Yukiatsu crossdresses, everyone forgives him and worries about him. I crossdress, I end up with bruises and jailtime. What's up with that?
May 13, 2011 2:56 PM

Jan 2009
Still my favorite show of this season, hopefully it stays that way.

MusashiRose said:
Am I wrong in thinking that Yukiatsu said "THEY left us behind..." or "We've been left behind.." not "he left us behind"? Cuz that makes perfect sense. Yukiatsu is into menma and Anjou is into Jintan...and in a way, both Menma and Jintan have left Yukiatsu/Anjou behind. Menma in death and Jintan in becoming a recluse (also with his feelings for Menma.)

It was translated "We've been left behind" in gg's subs.
May 13, 2011 3:00 PM

May 2010
EchoesOfMana said:

tsubasalover said:
And Earthquake warning when Yukiatsu's confession...

"Yukiatsu, I know you're confessin' and everythin', and I'll let you finish in a minute, but there's an earthquake coming!!!" XD

Nice.

In any case:

(Edit: Changed image host. Now it can be viewed again.)
SubCricketMay 13, 2011 4:50 PM
May 13, 2011 3:01 PM

Nov 2010
SubCricket said:
Nice.

In any case:

LOL! Took me a while to get this XD
Well played, good sir, well played.
May 13, 2011 3:52 PM

Nov 2008
Cirris said:

Poppo calling out to Menma at the end was heartwretching to see. Menma would want them all to see her but they cannot. Her breaking down really hit home. Jinta handled the situation the best way he could asking Poppo to please stop for Menma's sake. Poppo really believes in Jinta and Menma and has been 100% by their side this whole time. I just think Poppo pushing too hard is a misstep on his part. Poppo always did seem to be the one to take things to the extreme. I'd love to have a friend like Poppo.

I think Poppo did get to impatient. Menma wants all of them to see her too, and there really isn't much she can do. Also, I just realized that I hate seeing Menma cry, and it makes me want to cry too : ( I really hope things work out for her and Jinta. My favorite scene for the next episode is definitely going to be Menma hugging Jinta and I am soooo looking forward to it : )
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

May 13, 2011 4:25 PM

Dec 2009
This show is too good Oo

I really love every episode 5/5
yuno6.jpg
May 13, 2011 4:54 PM

Jul 2008
The moment that guy used One Piece as I lie, I knew he was no good. *rages*

And the first half of the train conversation was hilarious. Not to mention, Anjou saying Jintan would look like Yamada from HSJ if he fixed his hair brought major lulz. I never really disliked Yukiatsu, but don't really hold him high up there either, but he really knows how to get information out of someone.

I really love how things is going forward. I really can't wait to see how things continue to progress, especially with Tsuruko's story. Though I'm making sure to have my box of tissues next to me at all times when watching the episodes.
May 13, 2011 5:14 PM

Jan 2011
Wow..this show is drama done right. No half-assed melodramatic stuff either.. definitely one of the more accurate portrayals of human nature I've seen from anything, anywhere.
You know it's good drama when you do everything to avoid watching a new episode; but can't move your eyes from the screen once it starts.
5/5 for this episode.
May 13, 2011 5:15 PM

Sep 2009
PuellaMagiPseudo said:
So Yukiatsu crossdresses, everyone forgives him and worries about him.
There is nothing to forgive here.
May 13, 2011 6:07 PM

Jan 2011
by far the saddest episode yet!,and i hope Anjou gets the courage soon to tell those Bit@hes of friends Off
May 13, 2011 6:09 PM

Oct 2010
OrochiPL said:
So i'm ignoring posts on this page due to tl;dr and :effort:
But that's what made Madoka and now Steins Gate fun to discuss.
Paiguy said:
I really like this show, but Jinta is going to make me rage if he keeps up the "hallucination" crap much longer.
For me it's not that of Jinta. My rage towards him is the stupid "And I run......run so far away" you know that song when shit hits the fan like confessions. Bad situations. Jinta needs to be a man like Yukiatsu did this episode with outpouring his feelings. Jinta did that exactly at the end of episode 1 but guess that is not enough to resolve his character problems. Menma is helping him in that one.
Linalee-Stratos said:
ChristianCo said:
wouldn't it be quite the twist if it just turned out Yadomi was insane? xD That would be quite tragic, no?
Maybe not insane exactly. They could throw something like brain tumor to the plot which caused the hallucination.
HOLD ON! We are going somewhere here, what if Jinta dies in the end and goes with Menma to paradise or what if Menma is there because she knows Jinta might die of something and will go together with her to heavens? Sounds like some good things for this series but all goes back to Menma and her love resolve towards Jinta. You know there are now 3 triangles ("up point of triangle is =" and "+ sign is bottom 2 points):

1. Menma = Jinta + Yukiatsu

2. Jinta= Menma + Anjou

3. Yukiatsu = Tsuruko + Menma.

So it's major mess in the love area.
Cirris said:
Something to note here. When Menma was consoling Yukietsu through Jinta he mentioned the hairpin directly. This hit Yukietsu like a ton of bricks. I'm sure their must have been a thought of, "How did he know?!" I'm hoping this is the start of the proof that the others need that his "visions" are legit.
That is rather interesting and I do hope that Yukiatsu will click in that Menma must be real as a ghost for Jinta to know this. I hope to see this.
Cirris said:
Jinta is slowly starting to convey the thoughts and emotions of Menma to others. I feel like this is going to be the point where the others will believe him. especially if they feel it's a secret that only they and Menma knew about.
I am thinking Ghostwhisperer here. Like her in the beginning, it's all about making everyone believe him about Menma.
Cirris said:
Anjou, being setup with the guy is a big catalyst. As much as i hate the Bakainu twins, I doubt they did THAT with the intent of her getting sexually assaulted. However, this is the type of life they lead, Anjou has to really start to think "Is this what i want?" She can't continue on with them and not embrace their loose lifestyle.
She should dumb them and get on with her old friends. I fear in response them seeing her with those old friends Haruna and Aki might do something about it as revenge. I fear that but it may be good drama.
Cirris said:
Tsuruko having that old hairpin is an eye opener. Did she get it right after Yukietsu threw it? Did she confront Menma right after? something serious is opening up here. She's the most mysterious of the bunch. We need to see where they go with her plot development soon.

I am 100% sure she followed up and saw Yukiatsu throw that pin out else she would not find it nor be sure it's from him. What I do want to know if she did say stuff to Menma after.
Cirris said:
Yukietsu's reasoning for following Anjou seems unclear to me. Was he in the loop with Tsuruko and knew that Anjou was easily influenced and might be in trouble? Who knows. Thankfully he was there when he was. No, he wasn't Sir Galahad and beat the crap out of the lecherous cretin. But as he explained in the train, it's not his style, and he'd be a fool if he directly engaged an opponent who's much larger than himself.
I think he knows because he observed a lot or was talking a lot with Tsuruko about her.
Cirris said:
The train scene. This one is really up for interpretation. Him coming out and asking Anjou if "she was a virgin" was quite bold. But judging by her not wanting to be molested i guess it was just to confirm what he was thinking. Was Yukietsu serious when he asked Anjou out? I think it was to elicit a response. It's no big secret that Anjou was drawn to Jinta. Anjou seemed to be much more open to dicussing things after Yukiestu hit her with some tough questions early. Anjou's thoughts on Jinta seem genuine. She's drawn to him but is not sure if it's love. She was saddened that Jinta bailed on school. But understood how much pain he must have been feeling to lose his mom and Menma, the two most important women/girls in his life. This whole scene gives you a sense that there will be a big moment where Jinta and Anjou discuss things and decide where they stand. I'm still not sure how it will end up. I like Anjou a lot even if she's a bit weak minded. I'd love to see Jinta and her as a couple.
I think the train scene was more of a serious talk about checking Anjou's reaction and how she would react to asking her out. It could be a setup where Yukiatsu helps Jinta to be with her. You need info beforehand to plan things along.
Nasty001 said:
YES! Agree big time! It shows the sad aspect of the 13 year olds being whore to get money for enjoyment that they could never get from young salary men. They know that they have money to spare.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 13, 2011 7:29 PM

Nov 2008
As said, conffesions in this episode. Good episode.
May 13, 2011 7:46 PM

Dec 2007
Sigh. It's pretty easy to prove she is there. Just do a guessing game where Jinta has to guess what someone writes on a paper in another room and have Menma tell him the answer...
May 13, 2011 8:11 PM

Nov 2008
MusashiRose said:

I like your take on the quote ... But it leaves it open for Both of them to find something later- its left behind in the present. as Jinta is still around .. and Tsuruko is very much into Yukiatsu. the plot will move more I still think.. towards those pairings.
May 13, 2011 8:33 PM

Jul 2010
Everyone seems to have different thoughts and guilt on how Menma died. Maybe Menma came back to rectify this, her wish being that she knows that her sudden death caused some emotional barriers between the friends, and she wants to provide closure to any misunderstanding over who's to blame for her death.

Poppo and Tsuruko clearly are affected by her death as well after this episode, so subconsciously, she came back to clear the air.

May 13, 2011 8:57 PM
Dec 2007
Linalee-Stratos said:
PuellaMagiPseudo said:
So Yukiatsu crossdresses, everyone forgives him and worries about him.
There is nothing to forgive here.
Well, it's more complex than that. It's more like they have to forgive themselves and reach an understanding with one another. They had a lot of secret feelings that pretty much exploded after Menma's death.

And Poppo kinda messed up bad but it's not his fault. Common sense would tell you a ghost is trying to sleep in peace so his way of thinking is that she wants to have her wish granted and then rest. Menma on the other hand seems to be resisting the idea of leaving, not just the fact they can't see her. She accepts her death but at the same time she doesn't want to leave them.

May 13, 2011 10:09 PM

Nov 2007
wait, so why does tsuruko have the pin? i'm assuming she has the old one b/c it's all beaten up. i think it's already safe to assume that she likes yukiatsu if she went out of her way to get that hairpin & keep it for herself.

EchoesOfMana said:

oh my god.
May 13, 2011 10:23 PM

Dec 2010
Wow. this was really emotional. and so many love, in 4 sim? lol
May 13, 2011 10:30 PM
Sep 2007
Could it be that story is in future, and Menma was (or rather will be) a victim of those earthquakes in Japan.
May 13, 2011 11:46 PM

Nov 2008
I wonder how Menma really died...
First I thought Menma slipped and fell in the river while chasing Jintan...
Then I thought Yukiatsu bumped into Menma accidentally while chasing which she ended up falling into the river...
And then why do I get the feeling that Tsuruko also has something to do with Menma's death and not only Yukiatsu. The moment I saw her clench her fist when Yukiatsu admitted it was all his fault made it suspicious. Yukiatsu's story doesn't make any sense or should I say not enough information. It's like this is what really happened:
Yukiatsu throw the hairpin and ran away. Tsuruko saw Yukiatsu throw the hairpin. Then Menma came back and then Tsuruko told her Yukiatsu threw something. Menma went to pick it up. She fell and died :/ Something like that

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
May 14, 2011 12:21 AM

Oct 2009
Can someone talk badly about this aniem so I can just put a x2 under that post?

Really: This show makes no sense.
A girl died several years ago and now she is the center of the atention when she is dead! Everyone's actions and forms of behavior somewhat revolves around her, I can't stand it.

In this episode the first part was so ridiculous, I love dramas, but this tries to be a drama but without a good reason. The crying would be understandable if she had just died, not million years after.

The anime can be interesting when they don't talk about Memna and the character relations are cool. But despite that it's anoying, not boring, but really reallly anoying.

Quick graph to show my appreciation of this series.
May 14, 2011 12:42 AM
Apr 2011
so you'
AnoniMus said:

In this episode the first part was so ridiculous, I love dramas, but this tries to be a drama but without a good reason. The crying would be understandable if she had just died, not million years after.
so you're saying that if your mom died 10 years ago, you wouldn't be sad anymore?????
May 14, 2011 1:44 AM

Dec 2009
Interesting thought when Poppo went on about how Menma is here, because she was not able to reach Heaven.

Could it be possible that Menma committed suicide?

Her death is quite ambigious, and I'm not sure if they'll ever clear that up, but I can definitely see this turning around and throwing a curveball right at us.

And isn't Naruko like 13, of course she'd be a virgin haha. Well then again, what does that say about her "friends" >_>
May 14, 2011 1:56 AM
Apr 2010
This anime is slowly aggravating me more and more, Menma can interact with stuff, open doors, knock into tables, cling onto people, bake muffins, and even eat, yet why hasn't anyone thought of giving her a piece of paper and a pen? It just annoys me that there's such an obvious way to prove that she's there instead of having characters thinking Jintan is insane. I'm not saying I dislike the slow build up of this anime it's just annoying having such a massive plot hole in an interesting story.
May 14, 2011 2:02 AM

Jul 2010
invazn said:
And isn't Naruko like 13, of course she'd be a virgin haha. Well then again, what does that say about her "friends" >_>

First year of highschool in Japan is usually around the 15-16 age range.

May 14, 2011 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
Awesome ep :D
Cant wait for next <33
May 14, 2011 4:05 AM

Sep 2009
Thanks yukiatsu xD

great ep ...more and more story development
May 14, 2011 4:14 AM

Mar 2010
Ballista said:
Everyone seems to have different thoughts and guilt on how Menma died. Maybe Menma came back to rectify this, her wish being that she knows that her sudden death caused some emotional barriers between the friends, and she wants to provide closure to any misunderstanding over who's to blame for her death.

Poppo and Tsuruko clearly are affected by her death as well after this episode, so subconsciously, she came back to clear the air.

I think this is how the anime is going to be like so far. Best drama anime I've watched in a couple of seasons. I like it more because there is no manga for this so people can't try to spoil it, everyone has to wait to see what really happens.

Her wish was most likely that all of them would be friends forever. Seeing how after her death that really wasn't the case for the remaining friends the ghost Menma came to who she though (and everyone thought?) was the leader of their group so that her wish can come true. Which is why I think he can only see her for now. I'm just wondering if one by one each one of the friends will start seeing Menma or if the ending will be all of them being able to see her. I'm waiting for more storylines invovling Poopo and Tsuruko.

They make it look like Poopo just wants to see a ghost irl, I'm sure he wants to see Menma too but they make it seem like hes more interested in seeing her just bc she is a ghost. As for Tsuruko I have a feeling that her storyline will be even more......weird than the cross dressers part in the story. Teh quiet ones are always the freaks!!!!!!(jk =P)
May 14, 2011 5:34 AM
May 2011
yukiatsu literally save the show (and bd preorders...) i cried a little at menma scene , waiting for next ep!.
May 14, 2011 7:41 AM

Nov 2009
Every episode so far's made me cry to some extent; by the end my whole neighborhood might be flooded...
curiouser and curiouser :)
May 14, 2011 8:29 AM

Jul 2010
Day2Dream said:
Sigh. It's pretty easy to prove she is there. Just do a guessing game where Jinta has to guess what someone writes on a paper in another room and have Menma tell him the answer...
This.

I just can't understand why she doesn't prove that she's there.

May 14, 2011 9:30 AM

Jun 2008
Onyxthegreat said:
Day2Dream said:
This.

I just can't understand why she doesn't prove that she's there.

Yeah this seems ridiculous to me. I can only assume that's she's only in his head from the moment they don't do anything to prove her existence or not.
And btw, if she can bake cakes or pick up food to eat, why can't she pick a pen and write?
This is bullshit. Poppo was right asking for a sighn and her starting crying instead of trying to do something like he was asking made me furious because it was too damn convenient way for again avoiding the elephant in the room. "Give her a break" my ass!!!
There are a tone of shit she can do. If she's really there then the script is bad as hell on this matter.

meme-chan said:
OShoranO said:
Anaru's personality really doesn't fit with her self made image. Makes me wonder how she kept it up for who knows how many years.

I'd like to know that too. And her friends don't seem to be the kind that would bother hanging out with someone that is not like them.

It fits just fine actually. She's exactly the kind of girl that will get caught with them. She has a relative weak independent personality and she tries to follow the crowd. She could have been stuck with them simply because they spoke to her and told her to go with them when she first entered school. From the moment a few people started pulling her around she easily went with it.
Besides isn't that what teenagers do? Try to hang out with the supposed "cool people" that in reality are dump fucks even if inside they know there real self thinks differently?
Some succeed in switching of their brain and fitting in like little fishes carried by the current some can't do it and some unfortunately get so absorbed that never find the switch on button even when their swallow school life comes to an end.

You know the more i see Anaru the more i think she doesn't belong with ether of the guys our specific group. They both have Menma in their minds and in the end if anyone of them ends up with her it will be more like "she ain't bad" or "she's good enough". Anaru isn't an extremely strong personality but she's quite innocent and pure. She needs to find a guy that completely appreciates and loves her existence. A guy that doesn't just think she's a good choice for girlfriend but a guy who puts her above all and thinks of her as his soul-mate protecting her from her silliness and naivety.
MonadMay 14, 2011 9:36 AM
May 14, 2011 10:05 AM

Oct 2009
Amazing episode, really struck me. Got a little teary-eyed.
May 14, 2011 10:34 AM

Oct 2009
Balakirev said:
so you'
AnoniMus said:

so you're saying that if your mom died 10 years ago, you wouldn't be sad anymore?????

No. Or at least a little bit but it wouldn't affect my life after 10 years. And only think of her once per month or so, not every day almost every hours. (you gave bad example, i don't like my mom much lol)
May 14, 2011 10:35 AM
May 2009
this show officially gets my vote for best of the season and on my short list for beat of the year.
May 14, 2011 10:37 AM

Dec 2009
Removed - At least support your argument if you disagree. -Chavez.
ChavezMay 14, 2011 1:13 PM
May 14, 2011 12:32 PM
Mar 2011
AnoniMus said:
Balakirev said:
so you'
AnoniMus said:

No. Or at least a little bit but it wouldn't affect my life after 10 years. And only think of her once per month or so, not every day almost every hours. (you gave bad example, i don't like my mom much lol)

Well, I'm guessing that you've never lost anyone close to you. My grandmother died 7 years ago, and I still get pretty emotional when I think about her. So if you can't relate to the show, don't call it "stupid".

Also, Yukiatsu had said NOTHING concerning his obsession with Menma. And that was just the point where he let it all out. If that's too hard to understand, he bottled it all up. Think of the kid who was being bullied and power bombed the other kid... He did nothing for years, and that was simply his breaking point.
May 14, 2011 1:18 PM

Aug 2009
DO NOT TOUCH MY ANARU, YOU FUCKING BASTARD.
I'm glad Tranny-san saved her.
May 14, 2011 1:21 PM

Aug 2009
Menma blushing when Yukiatsu confess to her was cute.
May 14, 2011 3:32 PM

Dec 2009
MusashiRose said:

I was just going to post about that. That's a good theory.
May 14, 2011 3:40 PM
Dec 2007
jigglypuff said:
MusashiRose said:

I was just going to post about that. That's a good theory.
I'm pretty sure one of the groups translated it as "we were left behind".

May 14, 2011 5:33 PM

Jan 2011
May 14, 2011 6:06 PM

Jul 2009
Don't say you don't love your mother, cause there will be a day when you realize how much your parents sacrifice for you. When did I realize this? Last year, when I finished high school.
May 14, 2011 9:11 PM
May 2009
For some reason I have a feeling that the ending will be something like Kanon and Menma is actually in a coma

EDIT: Scratch that, I remember in the earlier episodes of her family praying for her saying that she was dead
AquaHazeMay 14, 2011 9:22 PM
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.