Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 6, 2011 12:12 PM

Jan 2008
Guardian978 said:
I thought it seemed a bit odd, in the convenience store, that he knows so little about his coworker that he never even realized the dude wasn't married. Do they talk at all when they're on duty or do they just stare at the far wall?

They actually did talk about that in a previous episode. His coworker said he had to work a late night shift at a convenience store because he had to care for his wife and kids. Kimimaro felt respect for the old guy because he was working for someone else, while Kimimaro was simply saving up money for himself. It's probable that his coworker went bankrupt in the Financial District and have his whole family disappear from him, or maybe one of his family members did.
May 6, 2011 12:12 PM

Oct 2010
akitoes said:
Orca said:

Nice fight by Mikuni but I don't really get Q's power. Is she controlling the other girl?
When Mikuni uses White Knight, both the pink demon girl and Q are summoned Apparently Q starts going berserk the second she is summoned and only the pink girl can restrain her, which is why Mikuni asks pink girl to hurry up
So that's it. Thanks man! I wonder also if giving to Q the money to eat calms her down. Hmmmmm anyone?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 6, 2011 12:20 PM

Jul 2009
How many stocks did he need to buy to control the asset? All of them?
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

May 6, 2011 12:31 PM

Oct 2010
Robbini said:
How many stocks did he need to buy to control the asset? All of them?
Yeah for sure he needs to buy all of them and perhaps wait until the person goes bankrupt.

May 6, 2011 12:55 PM

Apr 2011
That old geezer's voice is fucking amazing.
May 6, 2011 1:33 PM
Feb 2011
Jesus, I want to see Macroflation now.
May 6, 2011 1:40 PM

Apr 2011
SoundlessSky said:

PAC-MAN Defense and White Knight are Macroflations, I think
EDIT : Summons Mikuni's other 2 assets
akitoesMay 6, 2011 1:48 PM
May 6, 2011 1:45 PM
Feb 2011
Just what exactly did White Knight did, though? ._.
May 6, 2011 1:51 PM
Jul 2010
This is so interesting now! All the factors that play in winning or losing a fight give it such a strategic feeling (even though I still don't understand how all of it works) and the action scenes in this episode was actually quite good. The stocks thing is also pretty interesting.

Also, this one gave off even more of a dark feeling with the teacher's kids disappearing... (And probably the family of that guy who works in the convenience store as well? He did say he was working for his family on a previous episode but he also didn't seem to see the Midas Money when Kimimaro was trying not to give it as exchange to a costumer...)

So, Mikuni is actually trying to maintain the balance between the Financial District and the real world economy by trying to win or lose by a small margin which would make a smaller impact in the real world. That's why he's creating the Starling Guild I suppose. But I do wonder where does his interest in Yoga come from... Is it just because he was the only on (besides himself) to be forced into the Financial District and win his first match? I don't think so. There has to be more to it. Well, all I can do now is wait for next week.
May 6, 2011 2:01 PM
Feb 2011
Dusk252 said:
This is so interesting now! All the factors that play in winning or losing a fight give it such a strategic feeling (even though I still don't understand how all of it works) and the action scenes in this episode was actually quite good. The stocks thing is also pretty interesting.

Also, this one gave off even more of a dark feeling with the teacher's kids disappearing... (And probably the family of that guy who works in the convenience store as well? He did say he was working for his family on a previous episode but he also didn't seem to see the Midas Money when Kimimaro was trying not to give it as exchange to a costumer...)

So, Mikuni is actually trying to maintain the balance between the Financial District and the real world economy by trying to win or lose by a small margin which would make a smaller impact in the real world. That's why he's creating the Starling Guild I suppose. But I do wonder where does his interest in Yoga come from... Is it just because he was the only on (besides himself) to be forced into the Financial District and win his first match? I don't think so. There has to be more to it. Well, all I can do now is wait for next week.

I think he was the same guy who got pwned by Mikuni during episode 1. Naturally, when you go bankrupt, you can't see Midas money anymore x.x
May 6, 2011 4:00 PM

Feb 2010
Best episode so far.... I also thought the teacher was about to run infront of the train at the one part...

Insane to think his kids were sacrificed...

Mikuni = hawt!
May 6, 2011 4:02 PM

Sep 2009
Q and that pink asset reminded me a little of Beauty and the Beast with the way that they called Q Beauty. Mm, guess we'll have to wait to find out more about that.
May 6, 2011 5:16 PM

Apr 2010
SoundlessSky said:
I think he was the same guy who got pwned by Mikuni during episode 1. Naturally, when you go bankrupt, you can't see Midas money anymore x.x

Nope, that guy committed suicide by jumping in front of a train IIRC
May 6, 2011 5:37 PM

Dec 2010
Props to them. Not all anime nowadays can pair great action and psychological scenes that aren't complete bullshit in the same episode. They did it.

Mashu still needs a hug.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

May 6, 2011 8:38 PM

Jan 2010
Wow. I wonder if those kids hang around as ghost-things like that, or if it was just an effect to help show the gravity of his loss...
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
May 6, 2011 9:18 PM

Oct 2009
Wow, who knew that losing a lot can cost you your future.
This series pretty showed a good amount of action, but things did get dark.

May 6, 2011 11:38 PM

Oct 2010
akitoes said:
SoundlessSky said:

PAC-MAN Defense and White Knight are Macroflations, I think
EDIT : Summons Mikuni's other 2 assets
I don't agree. Summons are summons. Attacks are attacks. They are saving macroflation for some amazing battle time spot. Can't wait for that one.

May 6, 2011 11:43 PM
May 2010
The episode was brilliant. Not only did it establish the tarot symbols as something not mere coincidence, it also gave more gravitas as regards the title of the series itself.

Here are my thoughts regarding the episode. The tarot symbols are undeniably related to the series itself.

So much is at stake with being bankrupt. I'm glad the professor was a bro to Kimimaro.
May 6, 2011 11:45 PM

Oct 2010
aznkirby890 said:
SoundlessSky said:
Agree but the one pawned by Kimimaro, the one with the iron balls may have had his kid die by having the wife kill it. Since that guy was fighting for them and in the end he cared about his own life thus what he cared for got taken from him.
physics223 said:
Here are my thoughts regarding the episode. The tarot symbols are undeniably related to the series itself.
You all need to give respect to this guy! I can verify with my vast knowledge that it is all good! It does teach a lot in this series. Last time I remember Ef had references with Tarots with Yuuko.
Yumekichi11May 6, 2011 11:50 PM

May 7, 2011 12:00 AM
Feb 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
aznkirby890 said:
SoundlessSky said:
Agree but the one pawned by Kimimaro, the one with the iron balls may have had his kid die by having the wife kill it. Since that guy was fighting for them and in the end he cared about his own life thus what he cared for got taken from him.
physics223 said:
You all need to give respect to this guy! I can verify with my vast knowledge that it is all good! It does teach a lot in this series. Last time I remember Ef had references with Tarots with Yuuko.

._. I don't recall Ef having any other references other than nice boat lmao. Please do elaborate, well, if you would so kindly to pm x.x since it would be off-topic here.
May 7, 2011 12:21 AM

Nov 2010
It was sort of exciting as an action anime. But the settings of the world are ambiguous yet. I don’t want unlimited inflation of offense and defense abilities. The rules of games should be clear and consistent.

According to the official site, the asset Mikuni summoned with flation “white knight” is named Aurore (spelling unknown). Aurore is his third asset and her flation is “sleeping beauty” that squeezes and nullifies the ability from the opponent. Usually Aurore takes Q’s hand and keeps her dormant so that she doesn’t go berserk and release her mighty power. In the show, Aurore was called “hime (princess)”

Although economic terms appear a lot in this show, they don’t have much relevance practically. If you want economic games, try “Spice and Wolf”.
May 7, 2011 1:08 AM

Sep 2007
physics223 said:
The episode was brilliant. Not only did it establish the tarot symbols as something not mere coincidence, it also gave more gravitas as regards the title of the series itself.

So much is at stake with being bankrupt. I'm glad the professor was a bro to Kimimaro.

While we're at it talking about figurative symbols and such, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the appearance of the sephirot yet. It's been seen a few times already through the show.

In this scene, Msyu told Kimimaro to sell her stocks and the most bottom symbol on the sephirot brightened. From what I've read on wiki, the most bottom symbol is Malchut, which is "kingdom" or "kingship" and whatnot.

I'm going to leave it at that and let all the other philosophers go deal with it. I dislike reading too much into things thinking it has some deep meaning and then end up having my brain run circles around itself and getting frustrated at the lack of a concrete logical answer.
May 7, 2011 1:22 AM

May 2010
Mikuni is ridiculously strong, Yoga is gonna have to win a lot of battle to match him !
May 7, 2011 2:09 AM

Oct 2010
Wasabi said:
physics223 said:
The episode was brilliant. Not only did it establish the tarot symbols as something not mere coincidence, it also gave more gravitas as regards the title of the series itself. Here are my thoughts regarding the episode. The tarot symbols are undeniably related to the series itself.

While we're at it talking about figurative symbols and such, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the appearance of the sephirot yet. It's been seen a few times already through the show.

In this scene, Msyu told Kimimaro to sell her stocks and the most bottom symbol on the sephirot brightened. From what I've read on wiki, the most bottom symbol is Malchut, which is "kingdom" or "kingship" and whatnot.

I'm going to leave it at that and let all the other philosophers go deal with it. I dislike reading too much into things thinking it has some deep meaning and then end up having my brain run circles around itself and getting frustrated at the lack of a concrete logical answer.
Interesting remark Wasabi, I did not notice it is that diagram at first. Only thing I see making sense of that is selling part of the foundations of a asset is like thinking the asset is one's kingdom and that is like one's future representation. Selling stocks of that is like a bailout in when you are losing lots of money in a deal. So yeah it does make sense but I would check out the one made for hell, there variations of that diagram and I don't see the heaven's version holding much meaning in hell itself.

BTW: I also like philosophy.

May 7, 2011 2:35 AM

Sep 2010
Mikuni lost all my respect , sigh what is bad about crushing others.
May 7, 2011 3:06 AM
May 2010
I was going to mention that especially because I just saw the third episode and it reminded me of the Kabbalah from Evangelion. Thanks for the heads-up, Wasabi. I'll credit you - developing that write-up now. I think it's the Kabbalah more than the Sephirot.

I've updated my post, and used you as reference, Wasabi. I can say that while we arrived independently at our conclusions I needed to know about the Sephirot because I didn't know how it was called. Thank you!
physics223May 7, 2011 4:40 AM
May 7, 2011 5:29 AM

Mar 2010
it feels like they were rushing this episode.
May 7, 2011 8:26 AM

May 2010
Pretty decent episode ;D this anime getting more interesting form episode to episode ;] is Mikuni really fight to keep balance!? hmm ;]

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
May 7, 2011 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
finally a good episode .. i think this show is getting better & better :3
May 7, 2011 10:36 AM

Jun 2008
sirwence said:
I pegged this to go darker, its not meant to be light or comical. This episode partially answered a question... But then it created many more questions. How did that family get erased for example, how can they make her suddenly 'not pregnant'

Yeah wtf? They can completely change reality? So who is behind Midas bank? God?

Seeing as Mikuni had more than one asset and hearing that someone can invest in someones else asset it makes me think that you can buy out the asset of someone else.

The fight at the end, although quite entertaining it's something i can't appreciate because well... There is no logic in this fights. They tried to combine Yu-ki-oh fights with financial trading and it just doesn't work together good enough to make sense.
The whole thing seems slightly idiotic to be completely honest.
May 7, 2011 10:49 AM

Feb 2010
Mikuni is a pretty cool dude.
May 7, 2011 12:12 PM

Jul 2010
sirwence said:
I pegged this to go darker, its not meant to be light or comical. This episode partially answered a question... But then it created many more questions. How did that family get erased for example, how can they make her suddenly 'not pregnant' because it seemed like Yoga could see the children. I do wonder if well get a system breaker type of a protagonist after all. I wonder what role Ikuta will play

I doubt it's a system breaker type, but rather because he was involved with the financial district and KNEW that his prof had kids, that he was able to remember them.

jacobpaige said:

I can't really trust Mikuni, after all, he didn't hold back at all against the loser in the first episode. If he really believed in minimal gains/losses then he could have spared the guy without much difficulty. I'm just curious about his real objective and what will happen to turn the MC against him.

That's exactly because that guy is a loser. If you were someone with plenty of wealth like the old man in this ep, you'll create a lot of changes in the real world if you go bankrupt. Corporations could cease to exist, governments could collapse -- etc etc.
SigsigMay 7, 2011 1:25 PM
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
May 7, 2011 7:57 PM

Aug 2008
This very much was my favorite episode so far for this series. There was plenty of action to be had, though Yoga's fight was much sloppier than Mikuni's. And I really took to heart the consequences of Yoga's second match. When they say "future" in their contract they really mean it. So winning too big can be a bad thing, as Scorched Earth demonstrated.

This Starling Guild sounds like a nice noble idea as well. I wonder how it's gonna fall apart. Sorry, but those things always run into trouble.

May 7, 2011 8:07 PM

Sep 2006
So it's possible to marginally win, that's pretty interesting. So essentially by having minute shifting amounts of future, it's possibly that no one is worst off and actually maintain status quo?

I wonder if rigged matches are allowed. In that both parties agree just poke each other in the eye and win $1. lol!
May 8, 2011 3:16 AM

Oct 2010
noice, i don't really understand this anime and its logics still, like how can Mikuni have more people that he fights with?
May 8, 2011 4:29 AM

Jun 2009
Onyxthegreat said:
jix said:
SoundlessSky said:
I think when you go bankrupt, everything you've done that's influenced by the Black Money simply revert (the teacher do Deals to raise his kids iirc).

looks like you hit the jackpot
Yes this is exactly what I thought too.

Am I the only one who thinks this is not possible? Some other players lose and go bankrupt even though they are still newbies.

Meaning they haven't used or barely used the money they got on the financial district. So how could they lose their future when they go bankrupt wasting little to no money at all?

I think the consequences in their future has something to do with something they were supposed to have in the future, but they won't have it if they go bankrupt. Also, they will lose as well the things they used the money for.

To put it simply, the teacher was supposed to have 3 children even without the money he earned from the district. Now that the future is gone, the children he was supposed to have was taken from him and he will probably have no chance to raise a child ever again.
-QuasarMay 8, 2011 4:37 AM
May 8, 2011 6:37 AM
Mar 2010
Concerning the question about what Yogas father lost I am thinking it could be his wife, since it is also mentioned she disappeared. However how in the world Yoga could continue to exist might be a bit of a puzzle I can't explain.

I hope at least we will get an answer on that later in the story.

I also hope they will make Hanabi Yogas goal of the future - meaning she will be the one he will lose if he goes bankrupt.
May 8, 2011 6:54 PM

Apr 2008
i don't really get what he did, but mikuni effing owns~
yeah that came to my mind too...that yoga's dad lost his mom after he became bankrupt
but we shall see!

on an unrelated note: this anime reminds me a lot of gankutsuou for some reason O: has a similar feel to it...
;D
May 8, 2011 7:42 PM

Jun 2010
Awesome episode.
May 9, 2011 3:03 AM

Feb 2010
-Quasar said:
Onyxthegreat said:
jix said:
SoundlessSky said:
I think when you go bankrupt, everything you've done that's influenced by the Black Money simply revert (the teacher do Deals to raise his kids iirc).

Am I the only one who thinks this is not possible? Some other players lose and go bankrupt even though they are still newbies.

Meaning they haven't used or barely used the money they got on the financial district. So how could they lose their future when they go bankrupt wasting little to no money at all?

I think the consequences in their future has something to do with something they were supposed to have in the future, but they won't have it if they go bankrupt. Also, they will lose as well the things they used the money for.

To put it simply, the teacher was supposed to have 3 children even without the money he earned from the district. Now that the future is gone, the children he was supposed to have was taken from him and he will probably have no chance to raise a child ever again.

this is posibly right , the man at first ep says that it was his first fight , yet he suicide after losing... but maybe he had another reason to suicide...
May 9, 2011 3:06 AM

Feb 2010
KumaAyr23 said:
Concerning the question about what Yogas father lost I am thinking it could be his wife, since it is also mentioned she disappeared. However how in the world Yoga could continue to exist might be a bit of a puzzle I can't explain.

I hope at least we will get an answer on that later in the story.

I also hope they will make Hanabi Yogas goal of the future - meaning she will be the one he will lose if he goes bankrupt.

well... after all you could say that the district DID take yoga for them...
May 9, 2011 3:08 AM
Feb 2011
-Quasar said:
Onyxthegreat said:
jix said:
SoundlessSky said:

After rethinking the factors, I've decided to make a new theory.

Dying (suicide, murder, accident, etc) serves as a default when you can't pay your debt with a person's future of equal or more value.

Above theory would fit Yoga's teacher's situation, while also fitting for the guy in episode one. I doubt he even has a house to lose (lol).
May 9, 2011 4:49 AM

Apr 2009
Quite good, I'd say. The episode, I mean - as the series still doesn't show much bases on rather clichéd flags... still, the plot is getting constantly better, so I wager that if the pattern continues, it will prove to be a good show.

May 9, 2011 7:18 AM

Apr 2011
cardinal4 said:

I wonder if rigged matches are allowed. In that both parties agree just poke each other in the eye and win $1. lol!

I speculate Mikuni's organization is about this. Kimimaro's teacher said "If you join the guild, you won't win a lot, but you can't go bankrupt either."
May 9, 2011 9:09 PM

Apr 2009
Feel bad for the professor. D:
May 10, 2011 7:03 AM

Oct 2009
Msyu said you can sell 9/10 stocks, so that means you still own your asset with 10% of the stocks? Sounds strange to me.
May 10, 2011 8:50 AM

May 2010
A stock is not an asset nor part of an asset. It's part of the equity.
So if the buyers buy your stocks, they became investors and in their viewpoint your stocks is their investment in you which will give them interest if you win in the deal.
You still own your asset 100% and not 10%. I hope my accounting memory is serving me right. :D
May 10, 2011 6:14 PM

Mar 2010
come on mashu , yoga...show us other epic powers !! xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2011 9:14 PM

Jul 2009
I'm loving this series so far. The MC can get annoying at times though but it's still good. So many questions I want answered though I guess there is no choice but to wait...
May 11, 2011 9:23 AM
Mar 2011
I never thought that Financial District were this omnipotent. I mean c'mon, to be able to change things in real world.. wow
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » C Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

376 by mhikari92 »»
Apr 10, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Discussion on a general question

akarsh_kumar - Sep 21, 2023

6 by LostInLove »»
Nov 1, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » C Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 16, 2011

135 by basskiller »»
Sep 12, 2023 10:55 PM

» As a whole what did you think of this anime?

ZoarialShadow - Jan 19, 2017

19 by Abyhape »»
Jul 12, 2023 6:43 AM

Poll: » C Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - May 12, 2011

116 by GosuDRM »»
Jun 30, 2023 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.