Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2011 2:58 PM

Nov 2010
I recently watched Haibane Renmei and I am trying to find another series with a similar feel. does anyone have any suggestions, if so what are they?
Apr 22, 2011 3:10 PM

Aug 2010
http://myanimelist.net/anime/387/Haibane_Renmei/userrecs

You would have to be more specific about you liked about the series.
If you liked the symbolism part of it, NGE or Angel's Egg would be good choices.
If you like the tone, NieA_7. And probably wait for Despera, as it will probably bear some elements from it.
Apr 22, 2011 3:40 PM

Nov 2010
think it's the wrong board ^^ but i think a mod will move it for you.
haven't seen this one yet so can't realy recomend anything accepr for what "Cthulu" said
Apr 22, 2011 5:08 PM

Jan 2011
Angel Beats! , not as serious though, but you've seen everything I was going to recommend.
Apr 22, 2011 5:51 PM

Aug 2010
Sora no Woto comes to mind when I think about it. It's already listed in the recommendations there.

Sora no woto is setting is different though, it is a post-war era where the previous humanity was nearly wiped out. Very little culture and knowledge seems to have survived. Throughout the series you just try to piece together what's the world is like from the main cast daily interactions.

Similar to Haibane Renmei, it is some what of a mystery as to what the world around them is like. A female main character joins an existing group of characters to learn their way of life. Each episode is structured like a slice of life genre, and also the entire cast is female. You can expect character development to unfold slowly with each episode. You have a bunch of cute/moe moments but the over arcing story is rather tense.

Sora no Woto does have some sad moments, but I wouldn't call it a tear jerker like how Haibane Renmei built up to. But overall I think you would see similarities you might enjoy in Sora no Woto.

(rambling: what... how isn't haibane renmei on my anime list. going to fix that)
Apr 22, 2011 6:50 PM

Apr 2009
Sora no Woto seconded.

I'd also give Mushishi a try, it has a similar thoughtful feel to it.
Apr 22, 2011 10:26 PM

Nov 2010
Thank you all for replying and for your recommendations I certainly intend to look into Sora no Woto and NieA_7. Mushishi is also quite similar to Haibane Renmei though more episodic, it is in my top five anime.

My favorite parts of Haibane Renmei are the mystery and tranquility of the setting the likability of the characters the open endedness of the story and the emotion that it evokes.
Apr 23, 2011 12:24 AM

Mar 2009
I've never run across anything quite like Haibane Renmei. In decending order, I think you may find some of the titles below achieve some of the same depth and thoughtfulness.

1 Sora no Woto
2 Mushishi
3 Mokke
4 Zettai Shounen
5 Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
6 Kamichu

These two involve some action but there is still a "stillness" about them and they pose similar questions in a slightly different way.
7 Kino no Tabi
8 Casshern Sins

Going to have to investigate NieA_7 . . .
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 23, 2011 12:44 AM

Feb 2008
Spice and Wolf, maybe
Natsume Yuujincho from your ptw list
Air, mabye
Eve no Jikan, maybe
Apr 23, 2011 1:29 AM
Oct 2010
I will go to the very broad definition of 'similar' and suggest some poetic anime with somewhat similar themes and situations. Of course, sora no woto is the closest thing to haibane renmei, just seconding. Also, all the anime mentioned so far are extremely beautiful (I would personally exclude Air, I was not very thrilled by that one).

Other than that, you might want to try Fantastic Children, Aria for a world that is extremely gentle compared to the one in Haibane Renmei, but still holding mysteries (the way you describe Mushishi immediately reminded me of Aria), Angel's egg, Ergo Proxy for people trying to figure out a transient world, Terra e for people searching for a world, Twelve Kingdoms for some similar situations (though twelve kingdoms is not a tranquil anime).

Again, these things may not be very similar to HR; they are just the closest I could think of. Meanwhile, let's wait for Despera, perhaps.

Lisnoire, Niea_7 is an understated comedy with some nice black humor dealing with immigration and making a home out of rumble. You may or may not like it, but it is worth a try; I love it.

Edit: To the OP: there are several manga that have very similar themes and feel as haibane renmei (and are, in my opinion, just as good). Perhaps you would like to look at them; I can make suggestions anytime.
Apr 23, 2011 3:24 AM

Dec 2010
Not really sure I would hold Sora no Woto in a similar regard to Haibane Renmei personally...seems a bit flattering to SnW to me. o.O
Apr 23, 2011 9:45 AM

Mar 2009
@hentai_proxy - RE: Niea_y. Thank you. My taste is pretty eclectic so I'll give it a look.

@Jack-Rav - We didn't say Sora no Woto is "like" Haibane nor imply it was "as good as." :-) As I said before, I've yet to come across anything quite "like" HR.

I've been watching Zettai Shounen and wanted to add it to the "similar" list because of it's slow, melancholy pace, unexplained or slowly explained phenomenon, and mystery with some connection to an unclear past. I'm not crazy about the character art but it's o.k. and gets the job done but the background art and natural sound track including bird songs and insect noises works very well. I'm still in the summer arc and it really conveys the slow, heavy, hot, sun bleached, dusty feel of August.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jun 12, 2014 2:11 PM
Jun 2014
i think kobato, it kinda felt that way

More topics from this board

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - 7 hours ago

6 by DMind »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
3 hours ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
6 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
11 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Yesterday

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.