Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 8, 2012 9:52 PM

Feb 2010
Siva said:
Naruleach said:
I think Hisao realized that she was lying about hertheir son's age, hence why he asked her if she was happy after. His lingering hands after she takes the bag was a sad scene; he was expecting her to slightly touch him like before.
Right on spot.

Good catch. Love those subtle little moments. My favorite is around 2:30-2:40 when, from the car window, she catches a nostalgic glimpse of a young couple.
Jun 22, 2012 1:11 PM

Dec 2008
I wasn't expecting anything THIS good, but yet it surpriesed me.
I really liked this anime, the art and the cure of details.. perfect.
Kinda short but very beautiful.

Naruleach said:
I think Hisao realized that she was lying about hertheir son's age, hence why he asked her if she was happy after. His lingering hands after she takes the bag was a sad scene; he was expecting her to slightly touch him like before.

SixFlags said:
Like when she and Hisao are walking alongside the river before she is about to leave for Tokyo: she first walks behind him, then starts to speed up and ends up walking in front of him not looking back until Hisao has already taken another route. They were propably just each returning to their own house at that time, but it was such a nice analogy to their situation.

Indeed. those, and many others, are the details i talk about. I liked really much the cure for all those details.
Also, i agree with the ones who say that life isn't like a movie, all simple and predictable, is quite complicated actually.
I was, myself, hoping in a happy ending, but to be honest that bitter ending was more real-like, as happy ending in life are quite rare, sadly.
When she swallowed the pain inside herself, and replied him she was happy, she finally did a responsible choice, not to wanting to ruin his family as well and accepting the fact that she wont be happy, despite all of us are always searching at least a bit of happiness.

Lieila said:
BTW, what do you think will Hisao do if she answered no when Hisao asked her if she's happy? I have few assumptions myself but I'd like to hear yours? ^_^

I think he would've felt somewhat responsible and sad for her.. I think he would've felt even a tiny "guilty" for not trying to stop her going to america more than once :/
Tho i dont think he would've eventually divorced by his wife for her, even if it was clear that those two protagonists were in love for eachother.
But, maybe..just maybe, in the "happiest scenery" his wedding wasn't going very well either and then he would've left his wife for our protagonist. Just, this is not what usually happens in life :|

holypoop said:
That was amazing. There should really be more anime like this rather than all the moe/ecchi stuff we get every season.

^THAT. i couldn't agree more. So damn true.

Jul 15, 2012 2:22 PM

Sep 2010
Ahhh, this story was wonderful. I can't believe I put off watching it for so long!

It's nice to see a story that provides an in-depth look into basic human relationships. What Noriko did to Hisao and her husband was a terrible thing, but it was good to see that she seemed to have remorse over the matter. It's saddening that Motoki will probably never know his actual father, but at the same time it would be very difficult for Hisao if he were to find out after so much time has passed. I agree with some of the others' posts; I feel as though Hisao probably had an idea that Motoki was his son, but at this point there is little he can do about it. He could confront Noriko, but that would undoubtedly cause conflict in both of their relationships.

Poor Noriko. She was young and thought she knew what she wanted, and she saw her husband as her was to escape the town and her previous life. I think it would be very difficult to live with that decision, but despite everything, she has Motoki by her side, at least.

My primary worry with the ending is that, with the way things were left with Hisao, I almost fear that Noriko would choose to not divorce her husband in the end. It's not that I think she expected anything from meeting Hisao again, or that she wanted to leave her husband for him (obviously not the case). But maybe the situation might cause her to rethink moving back home, and that she should stick it out with her husband a little while longer. Who knows, I suppose.

Either way, fantastic story. I really wish there was more anime out there with similar feelings and perspectives.
Sep 21, 2012 6:32 PM

Aug 2011
Wow, that was amazing. It's sad how this short is so underrated. The hints towards Motoki being Hisao's son were great; I loved the woman's quick reaction. What a beautiful story. I'm glad there was no cheesy happy ending.
Oct 5, 2012 7:51 PM

Jun 2010
Most interesting part was how she describes a cliche dysfunctional marriage then it turns out it might be quite her fault but I'm not sure the story demonstrates an awareness of that.
Nov 30, 2012 3:25 PM

Mar 2009
lysssp said:
Ahhh, this story was wonderful. I can't believe I put off watching it for so long!

so am i...

love how it end...
May 19, 2013 9:46 AM

Jun 2011
ChaosLegion said:
That chick's a WHORE! Her wedding was in three mounths and yet she goes and bangs her highschool love interest? Now,that's slutty! I mean...ok,she loves him...but then why did she decide to marry that other guy? And why didn't she accept Hisao's offer and stay? She wanted more from life? She didn't want to be just a housewife in her small hometown? Not like her sister - "a plain woman whom no one would notice" was it?
In the end,everything that's left from her big pretensions are a ruined marriage and a kid who will never know his real father. Good Job !!! WHOOOOOORE

Maybe I'm looking at it from a wrong angle but I just can't see that story as a very beautiful one.Rather,to me it's more of a reminder of how women shouldn't be trusted completely.

Your post made me disappointed, since you've managed to totally miss and ignore the beautiful point of this piece. To enjoy this, you have to be able to sympathise with the protagonist, and if you can't it's either because you're too young, too inexperienced or too heartless.

Yes, this woman was unfaithful (or as you put it, whoring) one. single. time. Instead of stopping there, and go on a total rampage because of this point, you're meant to ask why she did this?

People make choices through life, and since no one is perfect, one's choices aren't necessarily perfect either. She had to leave her hometown, that was her big dream. She didn't want to be one of the people that blend in with the cityscape. That, she had always believed, and in retrospect, it might have been a shallow dream, but who is to judge? Her belief wavers when she becomes pregnant with a coworker and it still doesn't feel right. She becomes insecure of what she wants. Didn't she want this? She's living her dream life, yet she isn't happy? When she meets her old crush in her hometown, while saying goodbye to her parents, she ends up succumbing to her pressure, and seeks what might have given her happiness. Afterwards she makes a choice to ignore him after all and she leaves. Was that the right choice? For her, at that moment, the force of her dream was stronger, but when she looks back, she feels that her dream was a lie. Her dream didn't bring her happiness (well, at least that's how I interpret it).

We don't know what will make us happy, but we keep going, fumbling for that thing which will save us. Some are luckier than others, but I believe that it is a part of growing up to feel a sense of loss and melancholia about some parts of your life. Some experience it earlier than others, but believe me, it'll come.

Life is built of "what if"'s, and some people realise that their alternate option would have made them happier. What about it? That's life, and it's up to you how you act upon it.

About your conclusion to not trust women, I'll let this quote speak for itself: "In terms of infidelity, the theory states that when sex-ratios are high, men are more likely to be promiscuous and engage in sex outside of a committed relationship because the demand for men is higher and so this type of behaviour, which is desired by men, is more accepted. On the other hand, when sex ratios are low, promiscuity is less common because women are in demand and since they desire monogamy and commitment, in order for men to remain competitive in the pool of mates, they must respond to these desires. Support for this theory comes from evidence showing higher divorce rates in countries with lower sex ratios and higher monogamy rates in countries with higher sex ratios (ibid.)" / Source: Wikipedia
OriolidaeMay 19, 2013 9:50 AM
Dec 7, 2013 8:06 PM

Jul 2011
Wow, that was really saddening at the end. And all the small subtle hints were really amazing... I guess that was his son...? Or wait wasn't she sick before she spent the night with him?

Watched this raw (with my fail Japanese skills) and I still picked up more or less of the story... Some details are fuzzy but the story still came through to me. ><

THE KID IS SO CUTE. "Hey mama, I think you get it wrong... I'm not three, I'm four years old!" And he was counting his fingers!! QQ
Feb 12, 2014 11:48 AM

Apr 2012
Mirorin said:
Wow, that was really saddening at the end. And all the small subtle hints were really amazing... I guess that was his son...?

It was indeed Hisao's son, thats why she lied about Motoki's age. If she said 4 than he would know it was his child too, because they made love 3 months before Noriko left for Amerika and 9 months of pregnancy would make 5 years and she lived in Amerika for 5 years.

Beautiful story, I loved it!
Apr 16, 2014 6:46 PM

Jan 2013
SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Ok now that's out of the way.

For the amount of time they had to tell the story, they did a wonderful job. 25 min and they were able to get the MC's past life growing up, her family life (esp coming back together after all these years) and what the big secret is while throwing in foreshadowing. I think we all have a basic plan on how we want it to go. MC doesn't want an ordinary life. She wants to stand out, like her sister did until she became married and pregnant. I guess that's why she didn't feel attracted to Hisao right away since in middle school she even explicitly says that he didn't stand out much.

She was able to break out and get a job in Tokyo against her parents and probably society's wishes (Japan is still big on the whole housewife thing and Tokyo is the center of everything). I liked how they made her background from the countryside with the different dialect, showing the contrast even more.

Now that's she's gonna be married soon, she was probably feeling trapped and pressured and ran to her prince, the one with the slender, beautiful fingers. I shouldn't have to mention that the kid is his.

Fast forward and now she's feeling distanced from her husband and sees Hisao. I wonder if she would have tried to get back with him had he said he was still single. My guess would be yes.

This story did a great job in showing how life isn't that simple. We makes plans and sometimes they don't go our way and other times it goes too well. That's the struggle MC is left with. How would her life have turned out if she stayed in the country with Hisao. Very well done.

Yeah it's a shame about Hisao not knowing his kid or the poor husband who was cheated on. That's why I had to let my first statement off since well, it really sucks for them.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jun 18, 2014 6:09 AM

Jul 2012
I don't know why, but I have the feeling that will rip my heart if the other 3 stories are this good
Aug 16, 2014 11:08 PM
Jun 2014
very nice plot twist at the end.

However I still think that she needs to get back with her husband and live in the US of A.

Just because she is having a shitty life, doesn't mean she needs to take her son's happiness down with her. The boy did nothing wrong, let him grow up in the big USA city instead of your rural Japanese town.

Much more opportunities there.
Sep 1, 2014 5:25 PM

Jul 2012
fml im so sad now

I really liked this. Josei anime is truly the best. It was very bittersweet, realistic, and had lots of small details. I'd love to see a full length (one cour+) anime with this type of style.

When she lied about the age, my reaction as like "OHHHHH THAT'S WHY."

Onto the next one..
Mar 24, 2015 2:26 PM

Nov 2013
that was really cool, the only thing I didn't like was the 10 year reunion interaction, it felt so nonchalant and unnatural lol. Like they'd only been apart a day.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 20, 2015 2:34 PM

Oct 2012
It was nice slice-of-life I guess. Very true to problems of modern society. Kinda sad to know she married wrong man though.

Animation-wise it wasn't bad though it took me some time to get used to those car-filmed sequences.

On the other hand I liked those little details like Noriko silencing his son in front of Hisao for him not to know he is his son. Hint that he would be willing to divorce his current wife only to be with Noriko again. He never stopped loving her even after all those years. That she knew that and lied intentionally.

I didn't expect them putting in bulimia for main character.. that was some heavy theme in there. But I guess that would go with the stress she had due to relation with her husband. But in the end it seems she won't be divorcing him anytime soon. She was denied of that espace.

Really interesting movie that deals with those words starting "what if..." that many people are dealing with in their lifes.

7/10
May 4, 2015 11:29 PM

Sep 2014
I'd watch 100 episodes of this.
Dec 27, 2015 5:16 PM

Dec 2013
Awww this is beautiful. I wonder what will happen if Noriko and Hisao ended up together. Will they happy? I have this feeling why Noriko lied about Motoki's real age akkkk I wish this would be longer but oh well
_kukiyomenaiDec 27, 2015 5:17 PM

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 2, 2016 3:04 PM

Jun 2013
Typical Josei. Sad ending.
Apr 19, 2016 11:56 AM

Oct 2014
Very touching, beautiful and bittersweet.
Many small details.
This is why I love Josei, we need more of it.
Jan 21, 2017 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, that was so well executed, I was sucked in right from the beginning and didn't even realize the 25 minutes had gone by already. I only watched this because I heard the main character had an eating disorder, but holy cow I was not expecting such a nuanced and mature portrayal of human relationships and emotions. And focused on adult characters instead of teenagers!! This was a masterpiece.
Apr 1, 2017 7:24 AM

Dec 2014
What the hell, that was really good. How have I not heard of this before?
Sep 26, 2017 8:18 PM

Apr 2012
Siva said:
Naruleach said:
Right on spot.

It was obvious after she abruptly cut off her son when he wanted to say about his age. In general, quite a nice and sentimental story. I feel that this plot also had the unspent potential for continuation.
Jan 10, 2018 8:13 AM
Jul 2018
Love? Lol. That's a lust.

Boo-hoo, she now regrets it for not choosing him instead. He definitely deserved better than her. Glad he did find his happiness.

If those two didn't get involve in each other from the start. Stupid and pathetic. 4/10
Oct 5, 2019 2:20 PM

May 2016
This is definitely the rare type of anime that I love, the type usually only found in films and small projects like this one. Very mature, thoughtful and singularly-focused.
No extra, unnecessary packaging for mainstream appeal or attention-holding--just an idea and theme, explored as the artist wishes, with no other external/outside goals or ambitions in mind.

Man I haven't watched any good anime short films in awhile. Really liked this first episode. It ended perfectly, and I very much liked how content the writer was in leaving the lead as flawed as she (once we really got to know her) started.
People are flawed. And sometimes there isn't an "answer" or "way back". Sometimes you must accept regret as regret, and nothing less or more--if you're not careful with the choices you make before all the responsibility of adult life develops. This is how life works.

If you don't seize a chance soon and decisively enough, it will eventually end up leaving you behind. Life and time march ever onward, and we find ourselves tied ever increasingly down by the strings fate puts in our path as we progress through it too.
Your career, mortgage, debt, marriage, family, friends, children, self-image, will--our commitments invariably grow as we do. And the opening for not one but two older lives to cross well again, after many years? That chance just isn't one to count on. Chances are sometimes gone forever.
ZaugrOct 5, 2019 2:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2019 7:29 AM

Apr 2017
this is a gem. I feel lucky I have found it. This episode is my favorite above all else.
Sep 11, 2020 11:23 PM
Feb 2015
The music makes me think the ending was being portrayed as happy which is kind of weird. She clearly is in a bad enough place that she's developed an eating disorder but we're expected to believe it ended on a high note because....who knows how her life could've turned out if she'd chosen the other guy? It's nice that she loves her son but it seems like the show is trying to portray a bittersweet end with 2-3 people not being in a very good place as a happy one.

I'm not gonna criticize the main character for making mistakes or criticize the reveal for being obvious but I will criticize the lead's mom for thinking a cat broke into their house opened their fridge, and iirc moved trays/plates of food to the counter/sink.
May 12, 2021 9:04 PM
Apr 2019
Great execution, though i found the woman impossible to sympathize with.

Everyone here is a victim of her selfishness, her husband who was cheated on, and the son and ex boyfriend who will never know they are father and child. All of this because she wanted the luxury of marrying a rich guy and moving away.

Her misery is well deserved
Jul 29, 2021 8:03 AM

Dec 2018
The lady cheated on her husband even before getting married, was raising a kid from another dude with her husband, and still has the audacity to say, "The family life there is perverted and not what I'd imagined." wow

And she only thought of going back when it was convenient for her
Aug 3, 2021 2:56 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know how to feel about this. The story was presented excellently with blending parts of past and present. The animation ranged from average to decent with some of the ugliest CG ever.Also, just what was up with Noriko literally telling about herself to the taxi driver at the beginning.
Mar 8, 2022 2:31 PM

Feb 2020
Generic affair troupe with the no face workaholic husband, Femme fatale archtype women and handsome poor boyfriend. Put some piano instrumental behind, then it become a heartfelt tale of female independence.
Pretty sure the entire trip was to get the next son ready...nice way to cockblock that lol

Atleast art and animation were good and unique
AdampkMar 8, 2022 2:37 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jul 16, 2022 7:57 AM

Feb 2012
A novelistic story, which was both a strength and a weakness. Many scenes were just about telling what had happened, usually in narration. The story itself was quite ordinary, at least it had the tone and resolution quite typical of Japanese short stories, but which isn't so common in anime. I didn't think it was beautiful but rather sad, a rumination on the inability to connect, fear of life, fear of consequences, and things turning out ambiguous because we let those fears prevent us from acting at moments when it's important.

While it was nice to see something like this in anime, it wasn't that original. I wouldn't call the characters complex, but it's nice to see people behaving more realistically, having motivations that cannot be said to be clearly good or evil. The last scene together was great, what happened and didn't happen, the implication that the son was his, and how the hands didn't touch. That was also when this episode used well storytelling with images alone without the need to rely on the narrator to explain everything.

The animation was a bit jarring. Most anime uses background photos as source material, but here many scenes looked like they were just shots of the scenery which had been coloured over, so realistic that the animated characters looked odd in comparison.
Feb 24, 2023 1:13 PM
Dec 2021
Get a grip, fuckers. 
It's so nice to have romance differ from your highschool teen romcom or drama.
Need more stuff like this.

Are you happy? 
Yes, Very much.
In real life, most of the time things end up nowehere close to how we wanted them to be. That final line alone is worth a 9/10
Nov 4, 2023 1:12 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to Oriolidae
ChaosLegion said:
That chick's a WHORE! Her wedding was in three mounths and yet she goes and bangs her highschool love interest? Now,that's slutty! I mean...ok,she loves him...but then why did she decide to marry that other guy? And why didn't she accept Hisao's offer and stay? She wanted more from life? She didn't want to be just a housewife in her small hometown? Not like her sister - "a plain woman whom no one would notice" was it?
In the end,everything that's left from her big pretensions are a ruined marriage and a kid who will never know his real father. Good Job !!! WHOOOOOORE

Maybe I'm looking at it from a wrong angle but I just can't see that story as a very beautiful one.Rather,to me it's more of a reminder of how women shouldn't be trusted completely.

Your post made me disappointed, since you've managed to totally miss and ignore the beautiful point of this piece. To enjoy this, you have to be able to sympathise with the protagonist, and if you can't it's either because you're too young, too inexperienced or too heartless.

Yes, this woman was unfaithful (or as you put it, whoring) one. single. time. Instead of stopping there, and go on a total rampage because of this point, you're meant to ask why she did this?

People make choices through life, and since no one is perfect, one's choices aren't necessarily perfect either. She had to leave her hometown, that was her big dream. She didn't want to be one of the people that blend in with the cityscape. That, she had always believed, and in retrospect, it might have been a shallow dream, but who is to judge? Her belief wavers when she becomes pregnant with a coworker and it still doesn't feel right. She becomes insecure of what she wants. Didn't she want this? She's living her dream life, yet she isn't happy? When she meets her old crush in her hometown, while saying goodbye to her parents, she ends up succumbing to her pressure, and seeks what might have given her happiness. Afterwards she makes a choice to ignore him after all and she leaves. Was that the right choice? For her, at that moment, the force of her dream was stronger, but when she looks back, she feels that her dream was a lie. Her dream didn't bring her happiness (well, at least that's how I interpret it).

We don't know what will make us happy, but we keep going, fumbling for that thing which will save us. Some are luckier than others, but I believe that it is a part of growing up to feel a sense of loss and melancholia about some parts of your life. Some experience it earlier than others, but believe me, it'll come.

Life is built of "what if"'s, and some people realise that their alternate option would have made them happier. What about it? That's life, and it's up to you how you act upon it.

About your conclusion to not trust women, I'll let this quote speak for itself: "In terms of infidelity, the theory states that when sex-ratios are high, men are more likely to be promiscuous and engage in sex outside of a committed relationship because the demand for men is higher and so this type of behaviour, which is desired by men, is more accepted. On the other hand, when sex ratios are low, promiscuity is less common because women are in demand and since they desire monogamy and commitment, in order for men to remain competitive in the pool of mates, they must respond to these desires. Support for this theory comes from evidence showing higher divorce rates in countries with lower sex ratios and higher monogamy rates in countries with higher sex ratios (ibid.)" / Source: Wikipedia
@Oriolidae You don't ask 'Why' when a Female protagonist cheats on her husband and has an illegitimate child in the marriage.... You don't ask 'Why' when a Male protagonist because the way the world treats and he takes his frustration out on his wife physically.... Let me ask you a question, which one option of the two would women pick if the HAD to choose, 1. Physically violent husband 2. Sexually/Emotionally disloyal husband ?? Most women would pick option 2 cuz they might forgive disloyal husband but will never forgive physically violent husband.... That is why we never ask 'Why' when a Male character physically attacks women.... Now lets flip it and ask the same question for men, 1. Physically violent wife 2. Sexually/Emotionally disloyal ?? most men would pick option 1 cuz they can forgive physically violent wife but they will never forgive disloyal wives especially when they have illegitimate child... So you don't ask 'Why' when Female characters cheat.....

Now imagine this, what if Hisao slapped Noriko the moment he realized Motoki was his son, would the world (women) be like "Understandable/ realistic reaction/ can't blame him" ??? NOOO!! They would obliterate him saying 'How dare he slap a woman'..... The same with the Husband.... If the husband slapped Noriko for lying that Motoki being his son, would the world (women) forgive him? NO.... No way its going to happen....

The level of hurt the Husband, Hisao and Motoki will feel when they learn the truth is inconceivable/unimginable for us, and it is comparable to hurt a wife feels when she is physically attacked by her husband.... Neither a physically violent Husband NOR a Disloyal wife should be forgiven and give the empathy of asking the question 'Why'

Works targeting Men don't have themes like "I have problems and I physically hit my wife, but I feel guilty for it but my understand my circumstances, there was no way i am going to survive without hitting my wife" which is worst possible thing for a Man to do to a Woman

BUT

Works targeting Women have themes like " I have problems and I cheat on my husband, sometimes I feel guilty, sometimes I don't but understand my circumstances, there was no way for me survive without cheating on my husband " which is worst thing a Woman can do to her Man which is WORSE than physically hitting him

Men who physically attack women and Women who cheat on their loving partners and morally equivalent and should not be shown empathy

Noriko bought unbelievable amount of pain to her Husband, Hisao and Motoki without their fault and her solution for that problem is deceive them that to tell truth, face the consequences of her actions and ask for forgiveness and people who show empathy towards characters like Noriko are people who have zero empathy for men and are equivalent to men who would show empathy towards characters who beat women

So please show empathy towards men
Nov 13, 2023 7:27 AM
Sep 2009
It was a bit nostalgic
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 3 Discussion

Naruleach - Mar 24, 2013

26 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 2 Discussion

Josh - Mar 20, 2013

39 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 10:06 AM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 4 Discussion

tsubasalover - Mar 24, 2013

40 by Kira_Illusionist »»
Nov 4, 2023 12:04 PM

» That feel when you check your list and notices that this show has more episodes...

Pizzaholic - Dec 27, 2012

17 by ueki27 »»
Mar 19, 2013 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.