Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Jul 2012
Hirasawa Daisuke, Fukuyama Jun...Nice cast. The first episode has given me many feelings, such as excitement, shock and terror. This is a really classy show with a unique art style as well as a fitting OST. I like!!!!!!

This is gonna be a fun ride.
Mar 13, 2015 6:24 PM

Dec 2013
2 great seiyuus for the MCs and that art style - this is gonna be at least decent.
Jul 19, 2015 5:21 AM

Jan 2014
The colour palette, the way it seems like there's a second static background for some areas and therefore some patterns on clothes and other things look dynamic. Really beautiful. Very colourful and I like it very much. I didn't like the characters' design as much though. Except for the Count of Monte Cristo maybe. He's attractive.

The story so far seems quite interesting, too. I hope there will be a lot of talk about love, ah.
Jul 19, 2015 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
Whoa, what trippy artwork. I can't tell if I love it or hate it.

I didn't quite understand why Albert was in such turmoil over what he did with the pardon. As the Count said... he saved a life, did he not? His pick was at random, but had he not picked at all, then all three would have died. What was the sin in that?

Speaking of the Count, I already love his character. What a suave, manipulative man.

I have high hopes for this series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 5, 2015 4:19 PM

Feb 2015
The count has a very high charisma indeed. Albert is very naive though.
Sep 2, 2015 3:22 AM

Aug 2012
It was beautiful and stylish, and I liked it, but I'm not sure for how long I'll be able to tolerate another boring protagonist.
I've read the book, but it doesn't really matter much. I'd preferred the anime to be more close to the book. I loved the oppening because it's different and it fits.
Bertuccio! Coffee for our guests. - sounded like he was giving a command for an execution lol
Sep 14, 2015 12:58 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, very good, wanted to watch it for a while. Watched it dubbed on the Viewster app on my new Roku.

Ichigo again!!! I'm already watching Bleach, damn you Johnny Yong Bosch doing the voice of everyone in everything I watch lol.

The animation with the photoshop textures that move on the clothes is the same as what they did in the show Chowder which I loved because it was hilarious. I do quite like it, it's interesting if nothing else.

This show looks to be interesting, the first episode gripped me and I think I'll like it even more than I thought.

I didn't realise it was set in space and in the future before watching lol.

I'll see if it's as good as the Jim Caviezel movie or Revenge which is also based on it.

I can't wait to see what the Count does, I really like Albert.
stephtastropheSep 14, 2015 1:29 PM
Oct 12, 2015 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
Don't know if the animators are being lazy or artsy, but the art style is trippy. It's hard to watch all these featureless clothes and surroundings.
Oct 24, 2015 4:01 AM
May 2012
Damn, this is really interesting. I remember seeing "The Count of Monte Cristo" book on our book shelf way back, and I thought that it's about Jesus Christ.
I like the opening song already. Let's see how this will go.
Dec 27, 2015 2:52 AM

Aug 2007
WOW, just wow. From the very first seconds of the opening I had a feeling it was gonna be great and boy, this episode did not disappoint. Amazing art, a very interesting premise, 5/5.
Jan 8, 2016 5:47 PM

Jan 2013
Good start, not hard to follow so far.
May 18, 2016 8:48 PM

Aug 2015
That episode certainly got my full attention. Excellent work at building suspense. All the people comparing it to Monster have got me excited.

Anime like this make me wish more literary classics could be adapted into shows.
whitherMay 18, 2016 9:01 PM
Dec 15, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2013
Every frame of This series seems to use the unmoving plaid technique. It's refreshing, at least for now. I like the use of CG, too. Right off the bat, there are two questions: what was that ominous line from the Count referring to, and what is the deal with the lady with the gun?

I really liked the question raised by the Count's gamble at the execution. Is it more evil to deny the chance of salvation from all three prisoners, or to take the odds of randomly releasing the worst offender of them?
LeeTailorDec 15, 2016 11:44 AM
Dec 22, 2016 6:27 PM

Aug 2014
Very interesting premise and the art looks weird at first but then when i got used to it i think it's very beautiful.
Great episode.
Feb 15, 2017 3:54 AM

Oct 2012
I'm confused but intrigue at same time xD
Is this anime really similiar with the original story?

Kinda wish this anime made in 2008+
So I can watch the HD version of it, I'd like to see the beauty & colors sharply xD
"Signature removed"
Feb 19, 2017 8:14 PM

Mar 2015
A very interesting start, looking forward to seeing what unfolds!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 19, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2008
I watched the 2002 movie long ago, and I don't remember it being anything like this. I'm not a big fan of the unique spin on the art, but the story was intriguing enough.
Jun 3, 2017 6:57 AM

Sep 2016
Am I the only one watching this show mainly for Nakata Jouji?
I watched the 1st ep long time ago, but didn't even finish it due to its trippy art. Although I'm a huge JOJO fan, the colorful clothes were too much for me. (JOJO fans know what I'm talking about.)

But I'd like to give it another try as I'm so addicted to Jouji's deep voice recently after finishing watching Fate/Zero.
Aug 4, 2017 3:09 AM

Feb 2013
Weird art and the story is all over the place, but I like it a bit.
Albert didn't find love in the end, poor guy.
Sep 27, 2017 8:13 AM

Dec 2012
Dropped
I fell asleep -_-

Oct 19, 2017 8:52 AM

May 2015
Unusual interpretation of an original but overall it looks promising. Although I don't see why they chose to mix sci-fi elements here, I'm glad I read the book previously, otherwise I might have been confused.
Dec 28, 2017 5:30 PM

Nov 2016
Well, that's a very interesting start to say the least.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 6, 2018 5:41 PM

Feb 2016
Second time I watch Gankutsuou and the first episode is just as great as the first time. Love the ED. It's so trippy o_O.
Sep 7, 2018 5:12 AM

Jun 2017
Where can I watch the first episode without all the desync between audio and video? Annoying af

Nov 12, 2018 6:00 AM

Aug 2016
Goddammit Albert, you fell for two obvious pranks in the exact same episode.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 2, 2019 8:56 AM

Jun 2015
I'm so happy I'm finally starting this epic series, but what's with this lam opening. I watched this series Arabic dubbed years ago and what they had in that version was much better. They took the anime sequence of the opening and mixed it with a different piece of music to make the ending. There was no opening. Just check it out! It's so epic. It's so mood-setting. Usually I think the original Japanese version is always superior but the were some good stuff in the Arabic version after all. I don't know if this music piece is original or from the series but it's much better than what they have in the original.

Niveen_SleemFeb 2, 2019 9:04 AM
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 2, 2019 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
IdleSolution said:
Where can I watch the first episode without all the desync between audio and video? Annoying af

I watched it on anime-soul
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 2, 2019 9:08 AM

Jun 2015
Ero-Camel said:
I watched the 2002 movie long ago, and I don't remember it being anything like this. I'm not a big fan of the unique spin on the art, but the story was intriguing enough.

That movie is the worst adaptation of the novel. It made me hate and this anime was what restored my faith in it. I read the whole novel three years later.
Feb 3, 2019 5:14 AM

May 2016
The vivid artstyle alone is already quite an experience in itself ♥ I got chills just from watching some scenes where the colors really stood out. The setting alone is already mysterious enough in concept but seeing it like this is rather magical.

Poor Albert tried his hand on saving someone's life in a game of chance but fate made him draw the worst possible outcome. He should've known better when he was invited by a mysterious clammy-handed blue guy with pointed ears who just happened to ask him out when he picked up the guy's pocket watch. He's out for revenge though so the naive lil' guy's family must've had something to do with him.

Being approached by a woman wearing a skull dress is already enough of a red flag but trying to screw her after 5 minutes of meeting, please. Poor, poor Albert~

Feb 3, 2019 4:45 PM
Nov 2018
It was great this first episode.
They omitted the early part of the novel to offer to leave the mysterious count.
May 29, 2019 4:31 AM

Jan 2018
Hands-down the most brilliant art I've ever seen in an anime. I'm incredibly excited for the rest of this.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 29, 2019 7:18 PM

May 2018
Thats what we call a hidden gem
Oct 30, 2019 5:31 AM
Jan 2019
the art and animation is new to me so I trying to adopt but I still like it, the story is intense, the main character is naive so it interesting, the count is kinda cool and mysterious
May 18, 2020 10:13 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
The first episode got me hooked. A lot of mystery going on in the show which keeps me guessing. The art style is unique this is the first time I’ve seen some art like this and I don’t even know what to call it. I love the idea of how the count is the evil path Albert chose in order to be the new him.
Jul 17, 2020 4:30 AM

May 2016
His worse just became worst.
Feb 4, 2021 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
Nakata Jouji is a perfect seiyuu for the Count. All of the voice acting has been well fit so far. Reading the original novel is gonna give a nice perspective while watching this. Seeing the classic story in a stylized futuristic setting will be interesting. Let's see how the themes come across here.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 6, 2021 11:21 AM

Oct 2019
It's rather difficult to get used to everyone being a moving Klimt or Schiele painting, but otherwise the anime looks very interesting. I love the original story of Dumas but this anime appears to be very loosely based on it.. Both the two young friends, Franz and Albert, are rather naive but Albert is the naivety champion. It was interesting that neither of them realized (even after the fact) that the 3-card "game" was 100% rigged :

All 3 cards had the initials of the killer of 10, since that was who the Count wanted to pardon in order to manipulate Albert and have him feel awful - and thus render him even more susceptible to further manipulation. If the Count had written all three initials there was a 66.6% chance the killer of 10 would not have been chosen, and he could not have that. Checking the other two cards would have verified that the "game" was rigged instantly..
Sep 22, 2021 12:01 AM

Aug 2020
Intriguing so far. The only personal complaint I have is the subtitle font style. It's hard to keep up with.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 27, 2022 9:59 AM

May 2021
The art style and the aesthetic have hooked me in for sure. So has the Count's character and the fact that he might be a corpse.
The clothes are also a pleasure to view.

Apr 23, 2022 10:03 AM
Nov 2020
Studio Gonzo really produced some amazing series back in the day, if not amazing definitely unique in its theme and execution..
Sep 1, 2022 11:49 PM

Jun 2020
Good first episode. Really liked it. The art and colours are psychedelic and very unique, though the facial character designs are quite standard. There are some tropes, the nature of the main character, the main character getting annoyed of the side character being annoyed, a girl who's a trap. But oh well, I heard incredibly unique things about this series so it should get better.

Also that ED, it's so fucking trippy. Loved it.

Jan 14, 2023 1:27 PM

Jun 2019
 The art style combined with the weird cgi backgrounds heavily remind me of this image.

Jun 7, 2023 2:03 AM

Jan 2021
I've never read the novel so I don't know anything about the story but it's a lot more fun than I expected. The Count has an alluring and charming aura, his voice is also very pleasing to the ear. On the other hand, Albert is also quite interesting and I think he's the type of person who is quite fearless, in the sense that he hardly has any "anxious" feelings even when it's his first meeting with The Count.

I kind of... still can't get along with Albert's nature, naive, too easy and tend to be childish... but let's see how his relationship with The Count goes in the future.

Aug 20, 2023 1:05 PM
Aug 2022
This is some weird shiiit. I've never seen an anime like this before. Maybe Mononoke but this is waaay different. Mesmerizing. 
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Aug 2020
A very interesting introduction to the count leaning into the Callous and Cold Aristocrat Character the art style is visually striking being similar to something like that of Gustav Klimt with abstract and exotic patterns the setting and world being like a Futuristic Venetian Carnival

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
12 hours ago

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 11 Discussion

Kayro - Jun 18, 2008

48 by Dawizz »»
Sep 9, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.