Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 19, 2009 7:41 PM
Aug 2009
Jyu Oh Sei = Worst Dub EVER
Sep 29, 2009 7:55 PM

Mar 2008
Xen0phon said:
Jyu Oh Sei = Worst Dub EVER

I must disagree with you on that, it's one of the best dubs I've ever seen.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Sep 29, 2009 8:21 PM

Jul 2008
Gundam 00

I watched it subbed the first time through and thanks to the syfy channel *or what ever they call themselves now* I got to watch the dub, I made it through the first two episodes before I stopped watching.
Sep 29, 2009 8:48 PM
Jan 2009
Shuffle!
Oct 1, 2009 3:27 PM
May 2008
W_K said:
Gundam 00

I watched it subbed the first time through and thanks to the syfy channel *or what ever they call themselves now* I got to watch the dub, I made it through the first two episodes before I stopped watching.

Probally because the show was realy bad. It's only redeeming quailty was the dub, which was pretty good :P .
Oct 5, 2009 12:57 AM

Jul 2009
Overall, I'm a pretty big fan of dubs. However, after watching 30-something episodes of D. Gray-man subbed, I listened to the dubbed version they're coming out with. OMFG! They screwed it up so bad! Allen sounds WAY older than his Japanese counterpart and it doesn't suit him. And Travis Willingham is voicing Kanda. Roy Mustang =/= Kanda!!!
The pronunciation is alsoinfuriating. It's "akuma", not "a-KOOO-MA", "Mugen", not "MYOOO-gin." *sigh* I could go on and on... It's especially heartbreaking because I'm so in love with D. Gray-man right now. :(
Oct 5, 2009 11:28 PM

Jan 2008
Well then, I am really glad I never watched any of D.Gray-man subbed cause the dub sounds fine to me...

Then again, credibility starts getting shaky when people start arguing about word pronunciation between 2 different languages...
Oct 6, 2009 12:34 AM

Jun 2008
Ihatesourkraut said:
Shuffle!

is one of the best english dubs ever.

Dubs I have problems with:
Love Hina - 15 minutes in and my ears were bleeding.
D.Gray-Man - My problem here was that I couldn't really handle hearing Itsuki's (Shuffle!) voice on Allen...Those characters are just too different. And Kanda sounded wrong as hell. Travis Willingham is great, but not on Kanda...
Naruto - Naruto is really annoying when he yells, which is a lot. Other than that, I think it's actually rather good.
Yu-Gi-Oh - This was more a problem with translation/localization than the voice acting. I felt the actors did a pretty good job (As soon as Tristen/Honda got a new voice, of course), but 4Kids screwed with things too much and so the english version was notably inferior.
One Piece - Oh, don't get me started.
Ah! My Goddess movie - Having different voices from the series is bad.

Can't think of any others at the moment.
Oct 8, 2009 3:17 PM

Mar 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Ihatesourkraut said:
Shuffle!

is one of the best english dubs ever.

Dubs I have problems with:
Love Hina - 15 minutes in and my ears were bleeding.
D.Gray-Man - My problem here was that I couldn't really handle hearing Itsuki's (Shuffle!) voice on Allen...Those characters are just too different. And Kanda sounded wrong as hell. Travis Willingham is great, but not on Kanda...
Naruto - Naruto is really annoying when he yells, which is a lot. Other than that, I think it's actually rather good.
Yu-Gi-Oh - This was more a problem with translation/localization than the voice acting. I felt the actors did a pretty good job (As soon as Tristen/Honda got a new voice, of course), but 4Kids screwed with things too much and so the english version was notably inferior.
One Piece - Oh, don't get me started.
Ah! My Goddess movie - Having different voices from the series is bad.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

Which English Dub of One Piece? FUNimation's?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Oct 11, 2009 12:52 PM

Jun 2009
regarding the shuffle and d-gray man dubs:

Shuffle's dub isn't that bad! I didn't like it at first I'll admit, but it did grew on my a bit in the end. Even though it's alright, I'm still not impressed with Caitlin Glass as nerine, her voice doesn't fit her at all! Also, Carrie Savage made Kaede sound like a preschooler! That's all i have to say regarding it, it's not too bad, but it's definitely not one of funimation's best.

Same goes for D-gray man. I was stoked to know that Todd Haberkorn is going to play alan, but when i heard his voice i was like,"what the hell was that?" As much as i like Travis Willingham, he was beyond miss-casted as Kanda! Still some of the other voices were good ( lenalee and lavi for example ).
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Oct 20, 2009 4:41 PM
Sep 2009
Seishi said:
Crest/Banner of the Stars. A superb series, and again a cardboard dub.

This. ^

I'd also like to throw in Steamboy. Being from the UK myself, the majority of the accents attempted really grated on me. Patrick Stewart was wonderful, of course, but Anna Paquin was just awful in the lead role. She couldn't really hold a decent Manchester accent - at times Ray's voice seemingly did a regional tour of Britain within the space of a few sentences! Haven't watched it for a while, but I'm sure Anna turned in a much better performance for the Castle in the Sky dub.

Was watching the Read or Die OVA around the same time, and in comparison, that had some better British accents carried off nicely by Crispin Freeman et al.
flyingkipperOct 20, 2009 5:01 PM
Oct 21, 2009 11:09 AM
Jan 2008
flyingkipper said:
Haven't watched it for a while, but I'm sure Anna turned in a much better performance for the Castle in the Sky dub.

Her performance in that film certainly outclasses her work in Steamboy, although her Sheeta sometimes does fluctuate between different accents. I think that works in her character's favor however. I do think that the Castle in the Sky dub is better than what naysayers give credit for, and while Paquin's Sheeta may be at the short end of the stick compared to the rest of the cast, she is superior to the cast of the original English dub of this film, where virtually NOBODY sounded like they were in character.
Oct 23, 2009 3:36 PM

Jul 2009
D Gray Man - Allen sounded like he had some nasal problems and Kanda was just a WTF for me. Both sounded so out of place. Worst dub ever in my opinion.

Oct 28, 2009 5:41 PM
May 2008
D Gray Man : I have only watched the first episode but I found nothing at all wrong with it. Surely it is not worthy of all this hate.
Oct 29, 2009 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
I haven't seen it myself, but I heard the Karin dub was God-awful, this coming from my brother who watches anime in English regardless of how bad it is because he hates reading that much.
Oct 31, 2009 4:19 PM

Aug 2009
In addition to what I listed in my previous post...

Saiyuki Reload. The reason I didn't continue watching Saiyuki was because of the dub. Anybody who thinks that that replacing a superb cast with new people could turn out better must be crazy. (The new art style was annoying too.)
Nov 4, 2009 4:35 PM

Aug 2009
... Ichigo Mashimaro. The American actors just sound too... forced. They don't sound cute at all! DX

That's the only one I really couldn't tolerate too long... ^^;;

Thanks to Shiro-chan for scripting! ♥
Nov 30, 2009 2:32 AM

Jun 2008
I just heard the English dub for Green Green. It rivals Love Hina for my choice of worst dubbing ever. Not only were the voices annoying and the acting generally bad, they raped the Japanese language. They pronounce Yusuke as Yoo-soo-kay. That's just awful.

I also recently saw Maburaho. It was bearable but overall not that good.
Nov 30, 2009 8:25 PM

Aug 2009

End of Evangelion (The only two really good performances were Asuka "Tiffany Grant" and Misato "Alison Keith", the supporting characters were awful, Shinji "Spike Spencer" was lacking, and Rei "Amanda Winn Lee" was well... Rei. I also prefer that the director "Amanda Winn Lee" does not add in her own sound effects just because she thinks they are cool.)

Elfen Lied (It was just...meh.)

Higurasi No Naku Koro Ni (It took me a while to get used to this dub. There were two that were getting better as the dub went on, Keiichi "Grant George" and Shion "Megan Hollingshead." Other than that...meh.)

4-Kids (Pick one "besides the Pokemon dub")

Gantz (Some parts were "untentionly" funny)

Saikano (This dub is the bane of my existence. I don't want to go any further on this one.)
Dec 3, 2009 6:31 PM

Dec 2009
D. Gray-man - Allen's voice is horrible. Just horrible. And while I really love Kanda's VA, it's ill-fitting for his character.

Juuni Kokuki- Ugh, it's bad.

Naruto - Overall I consider it a good dub, it's just Naruto's voice I can't stand. I can't watch a dub if they've ruined the main character.
Dec 7, 2009 5:07 PM
Dec 2009
The ten worst dubs I've heard.

10. Akira (Pioneer): People who hated the original dub loved this version because it was a more accurate translation, pronounced the names correctly, and gave the characters voices from popular anime titles. Sorry, but those factors don't make a dub good. Kaneda and Kei are completely miscast, while Tetsuo is devoid of any emotion and menace. None of the performances here are memorable, they all sound like they were trying to cash in on the Akira name.

9. Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy (Bandai): Normally, I don't mind if words are mispronounced in dubs. The Gundam films are an exception because the way "Gundam" is pronounced is just too hilarious. Bad pronunciations aside, the performances are pretty terrible in this dub. The standout is Bright Noa, who was given a ridiculous British accent.

8. Fist of the North Star (Manga): Streamline's cast for the Fist of the North Star film was near flawless. Manga's cast for the TV series, on the other hand, is incredibly dull and not very well acted. The removal of Kenshiro's trademark line "You're already dead" certainly didn't help matters.

7. The Fuma Conspiracy (AnimEigo): The Lupin III franchise has been licensed and dubbed by numerous companies. Of all the Lupin English casts, AnimEigo's is easily the worst. Zenigata is alright, but Lupin comes off as a nerd, Jigen sounds like he's in a terrible Hong Kong dub, Fujiko comes off as an airhead, and Goemon could have been better. I'll probably never know why no other company attempted to redub this, while Pioneer and Manga had no problem redubbing Streamline's competent versions of the Lupin films.

6. Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie (ADV): 4Kids' Sonic cast tends to take beating, especially from fans of the game's original English cast. But at least they were better than ADV's effort, which gave Sonic and Tails high pitched nasally voices that were instantly annoying.

5. Dragon Ball Z (Blue Water): Most people may associate Dragon Ball Z with Funimation, but it was Ocean Studios who originally provided the voices in the dub. Despite being replaced by Funimation for the remainder of the American broadcast, the Ocean actors would be used in Blue Water's international dub of the Cell and Buu sagas. Unfortunately, they only had a year to dub the two sagas. Aside from having a script completely based off of Funimation's (unfaithful) translation and recycled music from Megaman, the voices are just plain wrong. For example, Goku sounded half his age and lacked emotion, Future Trunks sounded older than his father, and Cell gurgled water whenever he powered up. I don't know what's worse- this dub itself or the amount of fans on YouTube convinced a rushed dub is superior to Funimation.

4. One Piece (4Kids): A dub that was bad enough to destroy the entire reputation of a company. Thanks to this dub, 4Kids quickly became mocked and hated by the anime community. So what's so bad about it? Well first off, it's heavily censored, with all blood, deaths, weapons, and drugs removed (poorly, poisonous darts were replaced with "poison suction cups" and a gun was replaced with a ridiculous hammer device). The script is even worse, relying on horrible and unfunny puns. With the exception of Zolo, the performances fall flat, Sanji's Brooklyn accent and Usopp's goofy voice are among the worst.

3. Violence Jack: Slum King (Manga UK): The weakest of the Violence Jack trilogy, Manga UK must have known they messed up badly with the dub, which is probably why it appeared as the third episode on their DVD release, when it's actually the first episode. The quality of this dub can summed up by scene where the character Laser starts cursing uncontrollably because he can't locate Jack. Easily Manga UK's worst dub and that's saying a lot.

2. MD Geist (Central Park Media): MD Geist is said to constantly rank as the second worst anime of all time, so it's pretty fitting that the dub gets the #2 spot here. Things get bad once you hear Geist's overly deep voice and they only get worse with every character sounding ridiculous and voiced by people unable to act.

1. Clash of the Bionoids (Celebrity Home Entertainment): "You can still fight when you're drunk!" Really, what hasn't been said about this dub already? Not only are the voices devoid of any acting ability whatsoever, the censorship makes the movie impossible to follow. Not even 4Kids and Manga UK could mess up this badly.
mvx248Jan 26, 2010 6:54 PM
Dec 7, 2009 8:53 PM
Jan 2008
mvx248 said:
The ten worst dubs I've heard.

10. Akira (Pioneer): People who hated the original dub loved this version because it was a more accurate translation, pronounced the names correctly, and gave the characters voices from popular anime titles. Sorry, but those factors don't make a dub good. Kaneda and Kei are completely miscast, while Tetsuo is devoid of any emotion and menace. None of the performances here are memorable, they all sound like they were trying to cash in on the Akira name.

Whoa, now that's way off-target. I'm sorry, but my opinion about the new dub of AKIRA is the total opposite. Kaneda and Kei sounded fine to me, and I'm sorry but Tetsuo was not so "devoid of emotion or menace" at all! In fact, I felt like he was a lot more effective than his first dub. Sorry, but I cannot agree that the new dub of AKIRA is among the worst. The older dub is the bad dub IMO.
Dec 10, 2009 9:56 AM

Jan 2008
mvx248 said:

9. Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy (Bandai)

wait! what? there was a dub of that?! It certainly isn't on my dvds. Which is a shame considering that the trilogy is better than the series, yet the series got dubbed...

7. The Fuma Conspiracy (AnimEigo): I'll probably never know why no other company attempted to redub this, while Pioneer and Manga had no problem redubbing Streamline's competent versions of the Lupin films.

Well look out because they are gonna do it again when Lupin: First Contact comes out by Animeigo Sub-only. Man, what a waste of a great franchise.
Dec 10, 2009 5:54 PM
Dec 2009
JTurner said:
Whoa, now that's way off-target. I'm sorry, but my opinion about the new dub of AKIRA is the total opposite. Kaneda and Kei sounded fine to me, and I'm sorry but Tetsuo was not so "devoid of emotion or menace" at all! In fact, I felt like he was a lot more effective than his first dub. Sorry, but I cannot agree that the new dub of AKIRA is among the worst. The older dub is the bad dub IMO.

No anime dubs have been more polarizing than the two Akira dubs. Both seem to find their way on to best and worst dub lists.

I found Kaneda to be miscast because his VA sounded too good-natured and not tough enough, while it was too evident to me that Kei's actress was in her 40s when she voiced the character. As for Tetsuo, his inability to provide emotion and menace was apparent in the scene where he knocks back the soldiers trying to stop them. His ensuing line, "There's no use in hiding anymore" is delivered flatly and fails to show the intensity of the scene. It didn't help matters that the soldier ordering his comrades to use their guns sounded like he could care less about an angry psychic advancing towards him.

If you don't agree with this, that's fine by me.

GrimWizard said:
wait! what? there was a dub of that?! It certainly isn't on my dvds. Which is a shame considering that the trilogy is better than the series, yet the series got dubbed...

Yeah, but it's terrible. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXQYsYwmxo)

Well look out because they are gonna do it again when Lupin: First Contact comes out by Animeigo Sub-only. Man, what a waste of a great franchise.

Knowing them, they're probably going to re-name it Rupan: First Contact.
Dec 10, 2009 9:07 PM
Jan 2008
mvx248 said:
JTurner said:

No anime dubs have been more polarizing than the two Akira dubs. Both seem to find their way on to best and worst dub lists.

I found Kaneda to be miscast because his VA sounded too good-natured and not tough enough, while it was too evident to me that Kei's actress was in her 40s when she voiced the character. As for Tetsuo, his inability to provide emotion and menace was apparent in the scene where he knocks back the soldiers trying to stop them. His ensuing line, "There's no use in hiding anymore" is delivered flatly and fails to show the intensity of the scene. It didn't help matters that the soldier ordering his comrades to use their guns sounded like he could care less about an angry psychic advancing towards him.

Well I'll take Johnny Yong Bosch and Wendee Lee over Cam Clarke and whoever did Kei in the first dub any day; I felt that Bosch's take on the character worked much better than Cam's; he sounded too robotic and boring throughout. As for Kei sounding like she's in her 40's, it really wasn't noticeable to me at all and it didn't bother me one bit.

And I'm sorry, but I do not have the same reaction to that line Tetsuo speaks. It did not sound flat or lifeless to me at all. It sounded angry yet not too furious, which I felt fit the mouth movements very well. Whatever Jab Robson did in the first dub, it just didn't match with the character at all.
Dec 13, 2009 4:06 PM
Dec 2009
JTurner said:
Well I'll take Johnny Yong Bosch and Wendee Lee over Cam Clarke and whoever did Kei in the first dub any day; I felt that Bosch's take on the character worked much better than Cam's; he sounded too robotic and boring throughout. As for Kei sounding like she's in her 40's, it really wasn't noticeable to me at all and it didn't bother me one bit.

And I'm sorry, but I do not have the same reaction to that line Tetsuo speaks. It did not sound flat or lifeless to me at all. It sounded angry yet not too furious, which I felt fit the mouth movements very well. Whatever Jab Robson did in the first dub, it just didn't match with the character at all.

I'm a little surprised you didn't know Lara Cody voiced Kei in the first dub.

I wouldn't say Clarke is robotic by any means. Bosch emoted whenever he wanted to and his voice didn't always match up to Kaneda's facial expression. Clarke provided emotion when necessary and his level of emotion went above Bosch's in these scenes. Kei's voice was noticeably old for me because she had a lower tone than Bosch did. Some could argue this was meant to reflect Kei being a more mature character than Kaneda, but the original dub already made her sound more grown-up than him, while retaining a teenage vibe.

Jan Rabson had a similar line ("There's no use in hiding") and his more deprived sounding delivery worked better IMO because Tetsuo was drooling as he said this.
Dec 13, 2009 6:00 PM

Oct 2008
If we are talking about dubs that seemed absolutely flawed, listen to the Sony version of Samurai X (at least I think it was Sony). This is different from the other dub that aired on Cartoon Network in the sense that most of the characters are casted differently making most of them not only sound unnatural (some of the adults actually sound higher pitched than the children), but also the acting executed didn't even fit any of the character's personalities as properly.

That and names were mispronounced. I can handle mispronounciations since my own name is often mistakenly pronounced, but the whole dub was ridiculous and it felt more like a fandub than anything else.

- Kenshin - Richard Cansino, pronounced "Kenshi," and sounds slightly arrogant.
- Kaoru - Rebecca Fordstadt, pronounced "Kori," and sounds and even slightly acts half her age. And she's one of the characters who's pitch is higher than any of the children.
- Yahiko - Brianne Sidall, pronounced "Yah-I-ko" or "Yoshi" (why in god's name is that the case, I'm not sure), and acts well... kinda the same only his voice is less bratty.
- Sanosuke - Derek Stephen Prince, pronounced "Sanosuki/S-e-no," and for lack of a better description, he sounds like Uryu, except it just doesn't fit Sanosuke's character. To make even less sense, Mona Marshall casts as Sanosuke when he was a kid!

And those were just the main chcaratcers. And most of the other protagonists and antagonists even sound and act unnatural. And when someone fights, they're battlecries and grunts either sound like they're constipated or imitatiing a vintage, asian, martial art film.

Here's an example from episode 54 I think.

"Concentrate Kenshi! Otherwise you're gonna diieee!!" I literally spit against the screen and laughed genuinely hard the moment I heard that line! Oh my god, what the fuck was the voice director thinking?!
HypeathonDec 13, 2009 6:03 PM
Dec 13, 2009 6:04 PM
Dec 2009
Hypeathon said:
If we are talking about dubs that seemed absolutely flawed, listen to the Sony version of Samurai X

STOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPIT
Dec 13, 2009 6:27 PM

Oct 2008
mvx248 said:
Hypeathon said:
If we are talking about dubs that seemed absolutely flawed, listen to the Sony version of Samurai X

STOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPIT

What the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF....?! "Finally the fighter worthy of fighting?!" Why is the dialogue so damn stiff?! Did the script writer or voice director have limited vocabulary when the dub was recorded?! And what the f**k was Dan Green (if that was Dan green) doing in that dub?! And really, does nobody know when to shut the f**k up during a fight?! God! I never heard a dub so laughable and frustruating before!!
Dec 15, 2009 9:31 AM
Jan 2008

On that note, here's a comparison of the older dub of CASTLE IN THE SKY and the newer, more widely available one by Disney. I've seen lot of angry purists dismiss the current version of this movie, declaring it the "worst" of the Miyazaki dubs, but I just don't see it. Even if it has its flaws (the somewhat mature-sounding leads and sometimes superfluous extra dialogue), it's a damn good dub IMO, and easily one of my favorites, if but for Hamill and Leachman's performances.

This older dub by Streamline/JAL, on the other hand, is AWFUL. The voices are both robotic and devoid of any genuine emotion, the scripting is choppy and poorly written, and the overall quality of this dub is just plain bad compared to dubs of today. While it doesn't have the controversial rescore (which I personally loved) and the sometimes overdone extra dialogue, that doesn't make up for the overall abysmal quality of it.

Seriously, I can only roll my eyes at ANYONE who would prefer this older version to Disney's. Watching this older dub only proved just the opposite to me. In fact, I found it just as offensive as the older dub of AKIRA. Thank god these two movies received better (if not perfect) redubs.

PS: I am refraining from commenting anymore about these older dubs because a certain xvm248 has been trolling my comments, trying to convince me how "better" they are than the current releases. These kind of arguments are pointless and do absolutely nothing productive.
JTurnerJan 4, 2010 8:21 PM
Mar 5, 2010 10:11 PM

Dec 2009
I have no idea which of the Akiras I have and I can't be bothered to find out. Given the above video I definitely prefer the Disney dub of Castle in the Sky, though. (One of my favorite movies of all time)

Shirley and Mina's voices kind of annoyed me in Code Geass, but they weren't anywhere near enough to ruin the series for me. Excluding anything 4Kids - because they're so obvious it's painful - my least favorite is definitely Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, as mvx said. It was beyond terrible, even worse than anything 4Kids has done.

FMA: Brotherhood also deserves a dishonorable mention, but in that case, the problem wasn't the dub as much as it was... well, everything.
Mar 5, 2010 10:44 PM

Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
FMA: Brotherhood also deserves a dishonorable mention, but in that case, the problem wasn't the dub as much as it was... well, everything.

You good sir, are insane. I think its gone clinical too. Excuse me, while I go look for a straight jacket.
Mar 6, 2010 10:55 AM

Dec 2009
I'm not going to argue about how utterly disappointed I was with Brotherhood and how tasteless anyone who enjoys it is, so... there we go.
Mar 16, 2010 7:34 PM

Mar 2010
The Higurashi dub was atrocious overall.
Sailor Moon was pretty bad.
4Kids One Piece was so bad I need not say more about it.
And Naruto in the Naruto dub was so horrible it ruined the whole dub. Believe it.
"Please do not deplore yourself.
Even if the world does not forgive, I will forgive you.

Please do not deplore yourself.
Even if you do not forgive the world, I will forgive you.

So please tell me.
What will it take for you, to forgive me?"

-Frederica Bernkastel
Mar 17, 2010 12:22 PM

Dec 2009
I never really understood what was so attrocious about Naruto's voice, bar it being completely unrealistic. Yeah, it's a stupid voice, but he's a pretty stupid character. It's always seemed fitting to me.
Mar 18, 2010 1:35 PM

Jul 2009
the only dub i have hated was the one for Karin.....its soooo horrible

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Mar 18, 2010 5:57 PM
Nov 2009
Sakura Dairies sucks so much.
Mar 24, 2010 7:48 PM

Nov 2009
All of them.
Mar 26, 2010 8:15 AM

Oct 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
Felix_Omni said:
All of them.

Please leave this club troll.

How can you be an english dub fan if you hate/dislike all of them.

Best way to get the idiot to leave is not to give it any attention. Don't justify its presence and it will leave on its own. ;)

Edit: Ah, besides, I just looked at its clublist--it's already gone. :3
You can find me on IRC.
Apr 19, 2010 8:25 PM

Jul 2007
Angel Sanctuary OVA (coupled with the fact that it was horrible adaption of the manga)

Karin, gosh the entire thing was a disappointment

Revolutionary Girl Utena, Crispin Freeman couldn't even save this horrid dub

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Apr 21, 2010 9:31 AM
Apr 2010
you know i don't hate dubs i mean i dont ever not like dubs but i finally found one i don't think they should have done and that would be Saiyuki Reload, what was wrong with the first cast from Saiyuki ? what was it to awesome the first time so they had to go and re dub it? i just don't get it.
Apr 22, 2010 1:41 PM

Jun 2007
owlgirl, Saiyuki reload was licensed by a totally different company. ADV did Saiyuki, Geneon did Reload and above.

And yes ADV dub of Saiyuki FAR > then Geneons. Not to mention Saiyuki is the only good season of Saiyuki, the rest suck.
Apr 24, 2010 11:50 AM

Jul 2009
Full Metal Panic! It was mostly due to Kaname Chidori though. Luci Christian is an excellent voice actress but I didn't think her voice suited Kaname :|

Apr 26, 2010 12:31 PM
Nov 2009
Felix_Omni said:
All of them.

Can we banish people.
Apr 26, 2010 12:32 PM
Nov 2009
kazuki_takara said:
the only dub i have hated was the one for Karin.....its soooo horrible

Yah that was pretty bad most of the voices sounded like chainsaws going threw a wood cheaper. At least the story was o.k.
May 25, 2010 11:07 PM

May 2010
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal would have to be one of the dubs I hate the most. I mean I really liked the TV series by Bang Zoom!, but the dubs by ADV (OVAs and movie) are so flat and uninspired.

Saikano: I couldn't stand this series at all, and dub really didn't help much. Chise's voice actress was excellent, but everyone else especially Shuji sounded so generic and flat.

All dubs of Dragonball Z and GT: Back in the day I really did like Funimation's dub, but now it makes cringe a bit. Just shows me how Funimation has come a long way from that. The Ocean/Blue water dubs were just as bad if not worse. Bad script, bad casting, and bad music (Yeah yeah I liked the Megaman cartoon to, but the music doesn't fit here). People who actually believe this dub is amazing and far above Funimation's really need to hear more dubs from both Funimation and Ocean.(Baccano, One piece, Blue Gender, Yu Yu Hakusho from Funimation , and Death Note, Inyuasha, Key the Metal Idol, and Mobile Suit Gundam from Ocean)

Cardcaptors: Terrible re-written script, way too many edits to count, and incredibly down. The voice acting itself ranged from below average-average, but everything else was terrible.

4kids dub of One Piece: Now I admit I grow tired of all the 4kids hate with other anime they've dubbed like Yugioh, Shaman King, Pokemon Sonic X. The main difference is the dubs for these shows hold up well on their. Their One Piece dub does not. There are couple decent performances here, but for the most part the voice work was a complete train-wreck. All the editing that was done was so unnecessary it wasn't even funny. The music was actually the worst part of this dub for me. 4kids really screwed up with this one I mean damn....
May 26, 2010 12:36 AM

Dec 2009
All three Dragon Ball series sounded fine and dandy to me. Neither above or below average. Though Sabat as Vegeta and Mignogna as Broly really stood out to me, personally.
May 26, 2010 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
Samurai Champloo - Voices are very very low...I can't get what Jin, Fuu & others [except Mugen] are saying. I have to turn my TV's Volume to 60 to hear their exact words.
May 26, 2010 7:09 PM

Jun 2007
DBGT was terrible in ALL aspects, from concumption to voicing, in all languages across the world.

DB and DBZ on the other hand, through FUNimation only, aside from both The Tree of Might and Worlds Strongest movie dubs by pioneer, are all fine if not good.
May 26, 2010 7:50 PM

Dec 2009
And I disagree immensely. GT was by far my favorite of the 3 series, while the original Dragon Ball was my least favorite.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.