Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 13, 2008 9:48 PM

Sep 2007
What are some dubs you you either hated, disliked, or just didnt fit well with the anime?

Azumanga Daioh - I just didnt find the voice for Chiyo to be right, it souinded too...off....
Karin - the VA they chose for Karin had one of the most annoying voices I have ever heard.
Mahou Sensei Negima - I didnt really like the voice they chose for Negi. And I usually enjoy funimation's dubs.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 13, 2008 10:00 PM

Jun 2007
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Sorry, fans, it just sounded completely off to me. Haruhi sounded okay, but Kyon's seiyuu far outstripped Crispin Freeman, no matter how much I like him in other roles.

Weiss Kreuz - ...no. This one was just bad.

Chobits - It just never really clicked with me, especially Chitose and Minoru's voices.

Fushigi Yuugi - I winced every time Miaka said something.
Jun 13, 2008 10:09 PM

Feb 2007
I can't particularly think of an overall dub. I couldn't agree with some of the voices in Negima (might have been the acting/directing though). And I'd have been perfectly fine without Negi's accent. Forte's voice in Galaxy Angel was something I found weak. After seeing it mentioned in a review, Ken's voice in Kaleido Star sometimes made me think of a sloth.

That's all the comes to mind.
Jun 13, 2008 10:30 PM

Mar 2008
Besides any 4Kids

Gundam SEED DESTINY really it's not one of Bandai's Better drubbings.

But I would disagree on the other's you brought up except GA because I've only seen it subbed.

My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jun 14, 2008 6:25 AM

Oct 2007
I didn't really like the Love Hina dub. Kitsune's southern belle accent was a little too much for me. You can have a southern accent without sounding like Gone From The Wind. That was one I watched subbed first so when the dub placed accents of different parts of the names it kind of irked me too.

Rozen Maiden...well there wasn't any desu. I wanted to watch the show for that sole purpose alone initially. It also seemed like Sui lost some of her vocal antics in the dub. I want to see the crazy Sui that I want to smack over the head for being over the top.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Jun 14, 2008 8:40 AM
Jun 14, 2008 10:20 AM
May 2008
MugiwaraSilver said:
4kids One Piece.

That is all.

well said^ . That's all that comes to mind right now...

emrfish6: Did you see most of the subbed verson of Negima! ? I did, and I found the dubs to acually be better then the sub verson. I don't remember exactly, but I found some Japanese voices to be rather anoying to me. Funimation did wonders with the English verson I think, when compared to the original.
PredeJun 14, 2008 10:23 AM
Jun 14, 2008 11:18 PM

Nov 2007
Naruto isn't that great dub-wise IMO. I actually prefer the sub, and that's rare.
Jun 20, 2008 12:28 PM

Mar 2007
Anything made by 4kids.

Evangelion- It was horribly annoying to no end.
Appleseed Exmachina- Bleh
Naruto- Very annoying
Eureka 7- They can't even pronounce Eureka right.
Jun 29, 2008 12:28 AM
May 2008
Flame_Haze said:
Anything made by 4kids.

Evangelion- It was horribly annoying to no end.
Appleseed Exmachina- Bleh
Naruto- Very annoying
Eureka 7- They can't even pronounce Eureka right.

WoW dude, it's a sin to put Evangelion and Eureka Seven on this list, never mind on ANY list with Naruto. Even Hideaki Anno likes the English dub better then the japanese for Eva(I must have said that a 1000 times in this club by now, sorry) , and lots of people love that dub.

The way they pronounce "Eureka" is the way the orginal dub says the name. If they changed it to "u-ree-ka" , the english way to say it, everyone would complain "that's a stupid name" and "why not pronounce it like the orginal" , so they keep it the same, and people complain anyway? Can't make everyone happy I guess. But don't judge the dub on one name, listen to it first, block out her nam if you must.
Jun 30, 2008 6:59 PM

Jun 2007
the dub for Higurashi literally hurt my ears. that and the code geass dub are the ones which I consider to be large disappointments.
Jun 30, 2008 7:07 PM
Aug 2007
Flame_Haze said:
Anything made by 4kids.

This x100 (with the exception of Shaman King :3)

Also, Kanon 2006. Ugh.
Jun 30, 2008 8:19 PM
Nov 2007
Mandatory Cardcaptors mention.
Jul 8, 2008 11:07 AM

Jun 2008
The worst dub is 4KIDS One Piece.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Masaaki&sclick=1][/ur
Jul 27, 2008 9:50 PM
Feb 2008
Air-
I actually thought Vic Mignogna did pretty good as Yukito and OMG Luci Christian rocks...
But Monica Rial... *cries* I really hate her voice o.O.
And considering Misuzu is the main character, I really couldnt stand to watch it.

Tsubasa Chronicle...
MONICA RIAL STIKES AGAIN! Why DX.
Also... Vic Mignogna. Sorry, man. You ish not Fai DX. And Syaoran sounded WAY too old.

Karin
Not that I have anything against black people's voices, but Usui sounded black... and Karin's voice was just annoying... "Oooh its so embarassing" cracks me up because its so bad... XD
Jul 28, 2008 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
Bad Dubs

Ai Yori Aoshi- Tina Foster
Love Hina-All voices
Peace Maker Kurogane-Tetsunosuke
Tenchi Universe-Ayeka

No southern accents in anime. Females shouldn't voice little boys in anime.
Aug 10, 2008 12:55 AM

May 2008
I have only three words:

Evangelion Directors Cut.

I'm sorry; while Vic Mignogna is one of my favorite V/A's of all time, when he played Aoba, it was TOO soon after Fullmetal Alchemist for me. I swear, he opened his mouth, and out popped Edward Elric.

Furthermore, I have no problem at all with Greg Ayres, but when he played Kaworu, he took the show in a completely different direction...namely a brick wall. He made Kaworu sound more...how should I say it...seductive than the original V/A. Just listen to the way he says "With me?" during the shower scene in episode 24. Kyle Studivant says it like "Oh, really? With me? What do you mean?" Greg Ayes plays it like "Ooooh...with me? Well come on then!"
KhakiBlueSocksAug 10, 2008 12:59 AM
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Aug 11, 2008 4:18 PM
May 2008
hastij04 said:
Bad Dubs

Ai Yori Aoshi- Tina Foster
Love Hina-All voices
Peace Maker Kurogane-Tetsunosuke
Tenchi Universe-Ayeka

No southern accents in anime. Females shouldn't voice little boys in anime.

Well you'd really hate "Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi " dub. Not only do they ALL speak with southern accents(texas accents to be exact), but the main character, a boy, is voiced by a girl.

However I liked the dub a lot. I had NO IDEA Sasshi was played by a women, (Luci Christian of all people too..) and the southern dub really did it for me. I agree that the Osaka dialect tranlates into a Texan accent.
Aug 11, 2008 4:48 PM

Oct 2007
Haibane Renmei.

It's just bleh.
You can find me on IRC.
Aug 11, 2008 5:06 PM

Jun 2007
Initial D. The most adrenaline pumping soundtrack in anime was replaced with the lamer kind of rap music.

Also the Hajime no Ippo dub was pretty bad, pretty much every voice except Mashiba was out of character. Also had the worst single dub line I've heard: "I'd counter every one of them ... with a counter punch!" (No, really?)
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Aug 18, 2008 7:02 PM

Aug 2007
Full Moon - oh god, they all sound soo weird.. ><
Sep 17, 2008 3:31 PM

Sep 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
Initial D. The most adrenaline pumping soundtrack in anime was replaced with the lamer kind of rap music.

Have to agree on this.

Also, Love Hina was abysmal. I hope FUNi is redubbing it since they have the license now.
Oct 26, 2008 12:43 PM

Dec 2007
I have to say Slayers. Lina's voice is like scratching nails on a chalkboard, and Xellos lost all his whimsy. Eric Stuart as Gourry is right on though, I will say that much.
Oct 26, 2008 12:46 PM
Aug 2007
Tried to watch Chobits' dub, but it was so bad~ D:
Oct 28, 2008 5:47 PM
May 2008
leeree said:
I have to say Slayers. Lina's voice is like scratching nails on a chalkboard, and Xellos lost all his whimsy. Eric Stuart as Gourry is right on though, I will say that much.

Disapointed you disliked that dub. I was just listening to it, and I enjoyed it. i LOVE Lina's voice. Lisa Ortiz is an amazing actor, one of my favorites acually.
Nov 3, 2008 11:12 AM

Oct 2007
Happy Lesson.

The voices are good, the acting is slightly below average, and overall it's just a mediocre dub, but there's one thing that just...no.

The main character's name is Hitotose Chitose.

They rhymed both his names with the word "dose" throughout the dub. :/
You can find me on IRC.
Nov 3, 2008 11:16 AM
Aug 2007
Prede said:
leeree said:

Disapointed you disliked that dub. I was just listening to it, and I enjoyed it. i LOVE Lina's voice. Lisa Ortiz is an amazing actor, one of my favorites acually.

Same here. I quite enjoyed the Slayers dub, especially Lina and Gourry~
Nov 25, 2008 10:32 PM

Oct 2008
anything 4Kids
Cardcaptor Sakura
Hikaru no Go
Dec 10, 2008 3:33 PM

Sep 2007
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Excel Saga - It's not technically bad, but it really hurts my ears
Lupin III - I'm in the minority here, I know
Dec 10, 2008 4:49 PM

Oct 2007
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is ew :(
You can find me on IRC.
Dec 14, 2008 6:08 PM

Dec 2007
The Ouran High School Host Club isn't exactly what I would call abysmal, however they really do pale in comparison to the originals. No real complaint on funimation's part since if I hadn't heard the original japanese voices in the first place, I would probably like the english voices. Thank god for dual language dvd's though.
Dec 21, 2008 9:16 PM

Oct 2007
I'm watching Legend of The Dragon Kings and I must say it's up there in dubs I want to strangle. The three oldest brother's voices are fine but everyone else I want to punt away. Hearing people with New York accents, the Godfather voice, (when we know that are from Japan...and lets not get started about how stupid sounding they made the Americans in the show *kills the director for that one*) and lines that are just plain corny or tackey. If it wasn't for the story and Dan Green I would have dropped it. I've done eps 1-10 dubbed out of 12 so I might as well finish. However, if I ever watch these dvds again it will be subbed. I wouldn't reccommend it unless you were intoxicated.

Jan 4, 2009 3:11 PM

May 2008
Higurashi was effed up. And the YGO series has been done just as bad. DM was watchable, but 5D's has been stripped of every good aspect about it.
Feb 7, 2009 9:23 AM

Oct 2007
As much as I love this show, I will have to say the Nanoha dub made me cringe. I'm still going to give it a full chance and finish watching the first season and I'll listen to the second season to see if it becomes better but it was not good. Side characters can make or break a show for me. The dubs side characters were for the most part terrible. It was like watching a dub form the 90s again. (Granted I still liked those but this was blah.) The worst thing was the name changes in each volume. One would think they'd pick up on that. If anyone saw this show that would try to give dubs a shot they would be instantly pissed off and probably wouldn't watch a dub again. I know the stars that were identified (yes some remained anon) have a lot of talent and I can see their potential but this is not the best work.

Feb 9, 2009 7:09 PM
May 2008
Shadow Star Narutaru is not up to par with what I expect from NYC. It's listenable, but they could have done a lot better. Still I LOVE thse show.
Feb 9, 2009 7:22 PM
Jan 2008
Prede said:
Shadow Star Narutaru is not up to par with what I expect from NYC. It's listenable, but they could have done a lot better. Still I LOVE thse show.

I gave up on that show after about half of an episode or so... mainly because the acting in that dub was so flat and devoid of any enthusiasm.
Feb 9, 2009 9:13 PM
May 2008
JTurner said:
Prede said:

I gave up on that show after about half of an episode or so... mainly because the acting in that dub was so flat and devoid of any enthusiasm.

While it's not the worst dub I ever heard, but it's not hard to find a better dub. I'm willing to say it's the worst dub that I acualy own, unless you want to say my few Yu-Gi-oh DVD's have a worse dub. Peronally I think Dan green keeps that dub together, even if he screams a lot, but it's not very good either. Perhaps a litle better, but only because they don't talk like willaim shanter in it, but Narutaru does.

Really though what was the dubbing studio thinking? There are a number of lines that sound flat out horrible and should have been thrown out, and recorded again. Did the ADR direct do anywork at all, or did he/she just accpet whatever the actors gave him/her?

It's not all bad through, Shiina's father was very well cast, and most of his lines sound convincing.Kelly Ray, playing Shiina is half way decent most of the time, whoever played Tomonori Komori (the Khmer Rouge wannabee) was pretty good. Dan Green owns when he gets a chance (small parts in this). But it's very disapointing overall. I'll listen, but I'm not happy at all...
Feb 9, 2009 10:28 PM
Jan 2008
Prede said:
JTurner said:
Prede said:

While it's not the worst dub I ever heard, but it's not hard to find a better dub. I'm willing to say it's the worst dub that I acualy own, unless you want to say my few Yu-Gi-oh DVD's have a worse dub. Peronally I think Dan green keeps that dub together, even if he screams a lot, but it's not very good either. Perhaps a litle better, but only because they don't talk like willaim shanter in it, but Narutaru does.

Really though what was the dubbing studio thinking? There are a number of lines that sound flat out horrible and should have been thrown out, and recorded again. Did the ADR direct do anywork at all, or did he/she just accpet whatever the actors gave him/her?

It's not all bad through, Shiina's father was very well cast, and most of his lines sound convincing.Kelly Ray, playing Shiina is half way decent most of the time, whoever played Tomonori Komori (the Khmer Rouge wannabee) was pretty good. Dan Green owns when he gets a chance (small parts in this). But it's very disapointing overall. I'll listen, but I'm not happy at all...

Some of CPM's dubs suffered from a tendency of sounding obviously rushed, as if the actors did their lines in one or two takes before going on without properly developing them. Two early CPM dubs, miraculously, somehow managed to steer around this problem (Lodoss OVA and Slayers), although there were a few places were both sounded somewhat unpolished. Still, there ARE dubs that suffer from that problem.
Feb 13, 2009 12:15 AM

Sep 2007
Rurouni Kenshin always stands out for me. Very flat...not sure what else to say. I feel bad for the people who "grew up" watching it on TV, but they probably just got used to it.

Crest/Banner of the Stars. A superb series, and again a cardboard dub.

I also find that a lot of the stuff friends of mine watched on Toonami in the States (I never had it since I live in Canada, and YTV didn't show anime that long ago) don't really impress me much dub-wise.
Feb 14, 2009 2:55 PM
Feb 2009
Ikkitousen. Carrie Savage was so shrill at times it hurt my ears. ;_;
Nya~?
Feb 16, 2009 9:23 PM

Apr 2008
Ninin ga Shinobuden (not bad per se, but im simply too used to Norio Wakamoto for Onsokumaru), Patty's voice in Lucky Star (not the acting--i simply can't stand her voice itself there); and a few that were just plain bad overall--Higurashi (dark Rika was pretty fail), Strawberry Marshmallow (probably the worst acting ive heard recently), and while not necessarily being a bad dub, Doki Doki School Hours lacked some emotion in the acting at times
Feb 16, 2009 10:49 PM

Oct 2007
Hammy said:
Ninin ga Shinobuden (not bad per se, but im simply too used to Norio Wakamoto for Onsokumaru), Patty's voice in Lucky Star (not the acting--i simply can't stand her voice itself there); and a few that were just plain bad overall--Higurashi (dark Rika was pretty fail), Strawberry Marshmallow (probably the worst acting ive heard recently), and while not necessarily being a bad dub, Doki Doki School Hours lacked some emotion in the acting at times

Strawberry Marshmallow is an example of the kind of dub people think EVERY dub is, I think.

Then again, if memory serves, they got actual children to do the roles, so...
You can find me on IRC.
May 28, 2009 6:52 PM
May 2008
JTurner said:
Prede said:
JTurner said:
Prede said:

Some of CPM's dubs suffered from a tendency of sounding obviously rushed, as if the actors did their lines in one or two takes before going on without properly developing them. Two early CPM dubs, miraculously, somehow managed to steer around this problem (Lodoss OVA and Slayers), although there were a few places were both sounded somewhat unpolished. Still, there ARE dubs that suffer from that problem.

Most of their dubs while not amazing, are still very good or at least alright. I never had a problem with anything from them before, and I've heard quite a lot of dubs for CPM shows. But for 2005 this should have been unacceptable though. I hope they didn't pay whatever studio did that a lot of money because that dub is crap. Some actors are even too far away from the mic and it comes in really bad. Sometimes you hear noise from the actor in the booth, and other times the lines don't come in clear at all. I never heard a dub done like this, where no one seems to care at all what the final product sounds like.
Jun 18, 2009 10:50 AM
Jan 2009
I find the dub for FLCL to be horribly, irritatingly overrated. For me it's what happens when you get a bunch of actually-talented VAs and stick them with a horrible script and shamefully talentless ADR director. Yee-uck.

I can't really think of any other dubs that were actually POPULAR that I didn't like. Well, MAYBE Fullmetal Alchemist and Haruhi Suzumiya, but I haven't seen enough of either as of yet to say for sure.
Jun 22, 2009 7:21 PM

May 2009
I really don't like the dub for Elfen Lied the voices didn't match the characters at all. The only voice that was kind of okay was Lucy's. I also didn't like the dub for Evangelion it felt like the actors were overacting.
Jun 23, 2009 6:33 PM

Jun 2009
I think the dub for Blue Gender was bad half the characters had no emotion at all.
I Run In Triangles Cause Circles Are For Squares!!!
Jun 23, 2009 6:33 PM

Jun 2009
I think the dub for Blue Gender was bad half the characters had no emotion at all.
I Run In Triangles Cause Circles Are For Squares!!!
Jun 28, 2009 2:39 AM

Jun 2009
I'm hard pressed to find an English dub that I don't like, but that's because I mainly watch certain dubs with certain VAs in it. I've got a bit of a voice actor bias. lol. I research a bunch before hand, too, though. However, the voice of there were a few characters in shows that I thought could've been much better cast or acted:

Chisato in Vampire Princess Miyu- her voice was so bad, static and emotionless that I couldn't even finish watching it. You could almost see every line that she reading.

Rip Van Winkle in Hellsing Ultimate- Not half as distracting as Chisato. Actually, I thought that her personality was captured perfectly. What got me was the German accent. She dropped it so many times and there were some things that could've been said more accurately. Overall, not terrible, though.

Mao in the beginning of Blood + - At first, she sounded so flat and rehearsed. It seemed like later on she got a grasp of the character better, because it sounds more natural in the last of the series.

Dark in Bastard!- I cringed when I first heard him. Here's this manly, manly man, Thor-looking character and he didn't have a fierce enough voice, imo. It was very distracting. He needed a much deeper voice. I know he was supposed to be kind of a creeper, but you can be a perv and still sound sexy (GTO, anyone?). You get used to it after a while, though.
MaiasmJun 28, 2009 2:49 AM
Jul 25, 2009 5:03 PM

Jun 2009
Ai yori Aioshi (I love Bang Zoom, but this probably their weakest dub)
Karin (no words could describe how bad it is)
The Law of Ueki (no comment)
Green Green (bad show=bad dub)
Tokyo Mew Mew (the reason why I hate 4kids)
Cardcaptors (I just want to cry T_T)
Maburaho (the voices sounded out of place)
Ghost Stories (so overrated!)
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jul 28, 2009 8:06 PM

Jul 2009
Yu Gi Oh Everybody just sounds so funny! espilly Yugi!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.