Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 30, 2009 8:41 PM
May 2008
So from what I understand this is almost exactly like the end of the TV series, but with a heavy use of symbolism.

I'll have to watch this a few more times before actually rating it, way too much to think about.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 10, 2010 3:14 PM
Jun 2008
Adam= Shinji
Eva= Asuka

Yeah, I know... I'm the Mr. Obvious XD

Great film though :)
Jan 12, 2010 3:05 AM

Feb 2009
F4it said:
Slypheristic said:
Hmmm....what to say about it.

The Most Confusing Movie Ever Made? I think so.

LOLs at when Asuka is fighting, first instance of NICE BOAT. She threw a boat too lol.

Loved it.

Somehow, it cured my headache. I guess brain rape can fix headaches? lol

New brains, please...

I have never seen such mind fuck movie that can compare to this one. Just what have I watched? First I thought that NGE is a mecha anime, but this is way too far away from it. What/why the hell were everyone did this nonsense. This whole movie is like a black hole that absorbs tiniest bit of sense. I don't know how to rate this.

Everything said. Same foughts lol...
Jan 12, 2010 1:45 PM
Aug 2008
zinvince said:
I'm really confuse of the last 2-3mins of the movie were Shinji on top of Asuka. Then telling Shinji "How disgusting"

Whats the status of this? I mean after 3rd impact are they the survivors or in a state were Shinji haven't decided to live or died??

If you know the movie well, remember when Shinji starts choking Asuka during his hallucination monologue? During the last few minutes of the film, he still wasn't sure if he was back in the real world or if he was still in Instrumentality. However, when Asuka caresses him in the way his mom caressed him, he knew he was back in reality and starts sobbing. Asuka's saying of "How disgusting" can be interpreted in many ways. Example: the events of everything within the film, the Angels, the Evas, Third Impact, etc.
Jan 12, 2010 1:51 PM
Aug 2008
I found this movie to be highly enjoyable. Though very confusing, it was lots of fun and it seriously one of the best films I have seen. At the same time, it impacted me though. I went into a bit of a depression due to the series and movie (Death and Rebirth doesn't count as a movie, hence no plural 's' in movie) and it messed me up quite a bit (Episode 22 DC, the last 2 episodes, etc.).

By the way, Manga Entertainment lost the rights to the film last year so good luck on trying to find a brand new copy!
May 22, 2010 7:48 AM

Oct 2009

Tell me, guys...

What was Shinji doing to Asuka in the beginning? When he said "I'm so disgusting", did he really do what I think he did? WOW JUST WOW.

._. Other than that, I don't need to express my opinion because this has already been said:
ShiroiNoKiwi said:
I dont know what to say about it, so I made this.

Indeed, I was having a headache from the two last episodes of the original series before I started watching this, so this is my very own ultimate headache anime. Still though, after a long while it didn't hurt anymore. Therefore I ended up loving it.
May 22, 2010 2:22 PM
Aug 2008
Shinji was jerking off in the beginning due to the fact that he was trying to wake up Asuka. He tried so hard that Asuka's shirt opened up, revealing her breasts so Shinji didn't know what to do, other than to masturbate. :/
May 22, 2010 8:34 PM

May 2009
They're both the endings.
But the TV ending is the ending in Shinji's mind
This one is what happens outside

I'm really confused though, still

Aw, but man.
Everything makes sense now
Am I afraid of people and they way they might judge me?
Because of that do I run to anime to cure the hollow feeling I get when I have no one?
ShotshotsMay 22, 2010 8:39 PM
May 25, 2010 2:01 PM

Sep 2008
Finally watch this for preparations of watching 2.22

And hell, how I rate this ?
Jun 17, 2010 6:23 PM

Mar 2009
Interesting, but it's very confusing.
Jun 18, 2010 6:51 AM

Sep 2007
I regret watching episode 25-25 before EoE.

The movie was deep about Adams, Liliths, SEELE, NERV, the Root/ Seed of Life.
It show somewhat religious affairs about Gods and the vanishment of human life.
It might be confusin but when you rewatch it, you'll understand little by little.

@Naratchi
Look at here: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Shinji_Ikari#cite_note-5
Jun 20, 2010 7:35 PM

Feb 2008
I only have one thing to say
What the ****...
Jun 25, 2010 1:48 PM

Apr 2009
(A live-report, as I watch it.)

Part I.
Ritsuko dead. I can't say I'll miss her.
But I'll certainly miss Misato D: Is she really dead? That was a whole lot of blood...and wow, what exactly did she promise Shinji they'd do...? o.o

...Holy cow. I mean, just...what.
Unit 03 ripped to shreds. I felt for Maya when she puked.

God damn it to hell, Unit 01 scares the shit out of me.

Part II
WHAT WAS THAT REI SCENE. First her arm falls off, then Gendo just...just...does that?

...wtf, THAT was the whole Insttrumentality project? Turning everone to goo? O__O I CAN SEE GENDO'S SPINE EW

...What the hell, seriously, Shinji's mind is...a freaky place. And that's an understatement of the century.

Oh, so LCL is like...the ocean that all the life forms derived from? Or something?

Good luck, kids. Good luck.

I need brain bleach. Lots of it.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 26, 2010 7:25 PM
Jun 2010
that was so bad. I have no idea what the hell just happened. The only good thing was seeing askua and rei's nipple. :)

Aug 31, 2010 1:13 PM

May 2008
I wasn't prepared for what I just saw ... It's in times like this that I'm grateful that I started watching anime... I could never find a masterpiece like this in the western culture...

I didn't think think it was possible for a movie to create such strong and controversial emotions. My knowledge about English adjectives is not sufficient to describe what this movie was to me...

If there was a college degree about evangelion, I would definitely take it just so could understand perfectly all the symbolism and metaphors used. It has so many interesting and confusing themes to discuss...

The ending with asuka was definitely confuse but I think the better and simplest explanation is this one http://wiki.evageeks.org/Shinji_Ikari#cite_note-5 posted up there by magnum...

Anno is definitely a weird guy xD
Sep 4, 2010 4:07 PM

May 2010
Concerning the supposed "religious symbolism", the producers of Evangelion such as Kazuya Tsurumaki,Hiroki Sato and Toshio Okada all stated that the symbolism means nothing and alludes to nothing. While they're are apocalyptic aspects, it does not allude to anything and Shinji and Asuka are not Adam/Eve, they are just the first to return to reality. When Shinji has the final moments with his mom in the film, she specifically states that ANYONE can return to their original forms, as long as they have the desire to do so.

Think of the religious symbolism like this:
fan-"whoa there's a cross shaped explosion, it must mean that the one who set it off has some sorta tie to Christianity."
producer-"No, its just used to look cool."
ZakuHeadSep 4, 2010 4:16 PM
Sep 9, 2010 8:19 PM

Oct 2007
Yea, so this movie was pretty crazy.

That's all I'm gonna say.
Sep 11, 2010 10:02 PM

Aug 2010
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=250624&show=0#post1

For better understanding of the TV series and film, and the religious symoblism does have meaning. It's not really essential to understanding most of the core plot though. Another good discussion, why has this franchise revenued over 15 billion yen?
Sep 11, 2010 10:05 PM

Aug 2010
supersayen said:
that was so bad. I have no idea what the hell just happened. The only good thing was seeing askua and rei's nipple. :)

You should probably stick to things that don't require thought.
Sep 12, 2010 11:13 PM

May 2010
TheNewAkira said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=250624&show=0#post1

For better understanding of the TV series and film, and the religious symoblism does have meaning. It's not really essential to understanding most of the core plot though. Another good discussion, why has this franchise revenued over 15 billion yen?

I did just tell you that the creators stated the symbolism means NOTHING AT ALL, did you not get that?

http://web.archive.org/web/20031208113458/www.akadot.com/article/article-tsurumaki2.html

quote from the interview: "There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice."

The only real symbolism in the show is to psychological concepts such as Hedgehog's dilemma and the Oedipus complex.
ZakuHeadSep 12, 2010 11:22 PM
Sep 12, 2010 11:28 PM
Jun 2010
TheNewAkira said:
supersayen said:

You should probably stick to things that don't require thought.

I'll stick to stuff that doesn't require wikipedia or anime forum to understand a story.

Sep 13, 2010 12:02 AM

May 2010
You need to watch things that don't require you to think than
Sep 14, 2010 11:09 PM
Jun 2009
GunDumb90 said:
its then not than first
in all seriousness,evangelion is a nice idea,but awfully executed,in my opinion,the whole series is a way of how not to do things really,and my ultimate proof is that they are making remakes
now i shall go and finish seeing a GOOD series like ghost in the shell
Sep 15, 2010 9:41 AM

Aug 2010
s88c said:
GunDumb90 said:
its then not than first
in all seriousness,evangelion is a nice idea,but awfully executed,in my opinion,the whole series is a way of how not to do things really,and my ultimate proof is that they are making remakes
now i shall go and finish seeing a GOOD series like ghost in the shell

Opinion is subjective so it's rather stupid for you to say Ghost in the Shell is a "good" series like it's a fact (though I do love Ghost in the Shell). The remakes aren't ultimate proof of that, I could say they're just hoping to make more money off of them.
Sep 15, 2010 10:02 AM

Oct 2009
EPIC MOVIE! Quite a brain rape~
Most of the time i didn't understand WTF was going on XD. But after a lot of research i understand most it :)
Sep 15, 2010 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
In this movie: Nerv kept getting owned by random people over and over again. Shinji screamed over and over again by being mindfucked (yeayea, the director guy was clinically depressed), yet he was the guy that realized (rather spontaneously) he should stay individualistic?

Not that I have a problem with this. It felt pretty goddamn good to see Shinji change from being a depressed fucking kid. But at the end trying to strangle Asuka all the while, then giving up? CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME A BIT MORE CONSISTENCY. (I guess Shinji depressed for the majority of the series would be consistency. Hehe...heh... heh.)

The trope for not having therapists in a fiction BEGS itself in Evangelion. Everyone and their goddamn mothers have some psychological issue.

8/10, just because I kept saying "WHAT THE FUCK." And I'm pretty sure I was laughing when the dudes back at Nerv kept reporting the status of everything that's happening at impossible outrageous proportions.
TachiiSep 15, 2010 6:14 PM
Sep 21, 2010 9:30 AM

Sep 2008
Extremely boring, oh well this is the last Evangelion anime/ova/movie I watch. Can't stand this series.

It had few decent parts so I'll give it 6
Sep 22, 2010 7:05 PM

May 2010
Mephz said:
Extremely boring, oh well this is the last Evangelion anime/ova/movie I watch. Can't stand this series.

It had few decent parts so I'll give it 6

End of Eva is a movie, not an ova. If you didn't like Eva at all, try watching RahXephon. Due to its various similarities to Evangelion, many people who didn't like Evangelion actually like Rah better due to a more conclusive ending and easier to follow plot.
Sep 23, 2010 3:58 AM

Sep 2008
GunDumb90 said:

End of Eva is a movie, not an ova. If you didn't like Eva at all, try watching RahXephon. Due to its various similarities to Evangelion, many people who didn't like Evangelion actually like Rah better due to a more conclusive ending and easier to follow plot.

Meh, the plot was not complicated at all, just plain boring. Those mind fuck scenes were just plain annoying, nothing cool about them. Bad characters, hate all of them actually (at least can't remember one that I liked) and so on. I simply can't stand this series so even though I am a perfectionist and try to complete everything I start to watch, then I'm going to make a exception for this one and skip the remaining 3 Evangellion movies that I've not yet seen

I've already watched RahXephon, it was better at at least, did not puke everytime certain characters said something. Main character was less of an ass and the side characters did not annoy me to no end. They also did not throw in stupid "mind fuck" scenes that had as much effect as a sneeze

For story then I prefer series like Juuni Kokuki or Cowboy Bebop
MephzSep 23, 2010 4:03 AM
Nov 11, 2010 1:23 AM

Feb 2009
I just watched this movie again after, well, 5 years or so.
It was A LOT better than I remembered, mainly because the first time I was too young to understand what was going on, and hadn't actually seen the series yet. Anyways..

Why everyone be hatin'?
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.

skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
Nov 20, 2010 9:35 AM

Jul 2010
Wow, I don't even know where to begin...having marathoned the last 8 episodes yesterday and now this today, I must say that my mind has been raped like never before. Mostly in a good way.

I thought the first scene was a good indication of what was to come. Disturbing, to say the least. The rest of the first half was absolutely brutal. Misato's death was quite emotional and well done, not overwrought in the slightest. And then, there was Asuka's death. Holy. Shit. I thought Touji's wrecking in episode 18 was bad, but this just completely blows that out of the water. The Evas tearing out her guts and mutilating her, having 10 Lances of Longinus pierce her, and then the disfigured corpse…the most terrifying and gruesome scenes in anime I have ever seen.

The second half drops the physical action, but the intensity’s at least the same level. I was ambivalent towards the typical mindfuck scenes, but strangely enough I enjoyed the end. I loved the part when everyone explodes into orange juice, combined with the hilariously inappropriate music. Then again, Evangelion has a habit of using music to create ironic situations, and that’s been done a number of other times in this movie too I think. At the end I was hoping for an ending where everyone could reunite, and at least that was somewhat achieved with the somewhat hopeful and bittersweet ending. Guess Shinji and Asuka are the new Adam and Eve (being not exactly well-versed in the Bible, just about every other reference went way over my head). I suppose if I wanted to see a downright happy ending, I could watch Gurren Lagann again =/

I went into NGE without much background knowledge, and as such I was expecting yet another shounen/mecha series. Bad idea, since NGE is just so far removed from the standard fare mecha show. This is a work of art and a masterpiece, though I was nowhere near prepared for the psychological onslaught. I didn’t fully “get” the show, and probably should’ve watched similar-themed shows before moving on to this one so I could appreciate it more. Oh well, at the very least it demands respect for the huge risks it takes.

Overall, around 9.5/10. Hope that Rebuild of Evangelion can top this =)
Jan 15, 2011 1:45 PM

Sep 2009
I really liked this movie , understood most of it ( maybe, I think?) certainly not everything, or maybe misunterstood everything or @.@ ...
I'm just gonna wait for the next movies.
Feb 1, 2011 12:52 AM
Jul 2018
I think people get the wrong idea with NGE. This isn't an over the top rollercoaster, it's subtle, it has tons of dialogue, and the little things complete the package. I could watch this series over and over, I finished rewatching it a couple months ago and I'm still picking up new things after a good 10 years or so.
Feb 16, 2011 12:34 AM

Aug 2010
I will never in a million years understand what I just watched.
Feb 23, 2011 12:14 AM
Dec 2010
Wow......I have no idea what that was about, but it was Epic. Undeniably Epic (the E is capital)
"I... don't need anything else...if you don't need anything else."
Feb 25, 2011 12:42 PM
Nov 2010
skip the remaining 3 Evangellion movies

The rebuild movies are much better than this garbage
Feb 25, 2011 8:34 PM

Sep 2010
Pretty good. Really confusing.
May 9, 2011 2:46 AM

Oct 2008
That was.. sooo weird. o_o

But for some reason I enjoyed it more than the series.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 15, 2011 6:24 AM
Dec 2010
man who created that had to be crazy and psycho, That was the one hell weirdest show i've seen.
I can't figure out how to rate it...

I think i'm gonna take that as it was view onto crazy mind of pathological murderer with multiple personalities one of them was shinji-kun and they just forgot to mention it in series/movie, who, at the end, still ended up in his own world again.

Ok i know im bit exaggerating but this was truly full of psychos :-X
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 20, 2011 9:11 PM
Feb 2011
The show was really too much. I want to say it was good but...seriously what the hell? The creator expects too much of his viewers...we're not mind readers.
Jun 15, 2011 9:01 PM

Aug 2010
I expected some mecha anime, but boy was I wrong. I swear the show and movie just fucked with my mind. My favorite char is definitely Asuka.
Jul 27, 2011 2:23 AM

May 2010
This movie made me feel every single emotion available. One of the greatest fucking things I have ever seen.

And Asuka's fight scenes are remarkable.
Aug 10, 2011 4:28 AM

Jan 2010
my head still hurts
Aug 11, 2011 9:45 AM

Aug 2011
Why is Shinji so stupid!!!
Oct 22, 2011 10:37 AM
Apr 2010
For the first half, I enjoyed it more than 25-26 episodes of the series. After all the tsunderism of Asuka and Shinji being a pussy it was AWESOME to see them go fucking crazy and fighting the enemies...

And the second part... Well, that was a mindfuck.
Oct 25, 2011 4:34 PM
Jul 2011
...umm...yeah everybody said what i was thinking already. whoever wrote this has serious issues. i was teased all the way to the bitter, anti-climactic end of evangelion.
Dec 3, 2011 5:24 AM

Jul 2009
EoE was EVEN_WORSE than original ending.

Well, this movie is a perfect mindfuck.

And by "mindfuck" I mean: lots of incoherent, senseless bullshit thrown around, to appeal mindless hordes of plebeians, so they can say "EVA IZ GREAT COZ ITZ A MINDFUCK!!11 IT HAZ LOTZ OF PSYCHOLOGICAL STUFF (the very basics BTW) AND LOTZ OF SYMBOLISM!!!!!!!!!! IF U NO UNDERSTAND IT U MAD!!! (not that mindless plebeian understood it either, but he won't admit it)"

+someone got the concept of evolution so fucking wrong that it actually hurts. In the end, whole evangelion plot doesn't hold water. Better even - IT DOESN'T MATTER. "Mindfuck" is all that matters. My guess is - mindfuck is very appealing to otakus/plebeians/pokemanz becouse it screws with their minds. And I bet 99% of said otakus, etc don't take drugs, so they're satisfied with what their favourite medium delivers as a substitute. [*break for dinner*] After seeing NGE and EoE, those who took lsd will probably say "hmmm... I've seen something similar before," those who watch anime for plot/fights/etc and disregard "mindfuck" (me...) will be dissatisfied (if not disgusted) with them (NGE and EoE).

orzel286Dec 3, 2011 5:36 AM
Dec 3, 2011 5:51 AM

Feb 2009
It seems funny that, when people dislike something, they always try to insult the fanbase of said thing to somehow justify their dislike.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Dec 15, 2011 8:58 PM

Aug 2009
It was cool, whatever.

I prefer the ambiguity of episodes 25+26 as the real ending. No shock value, just Shinji accepting himself. Because it's more important to love one's self before even bothering with what is reality and is life worth living.

Though it got tiring to watch slideshow fever, looped animation, and still frames forever for the actual series and the recorded segment of this movie even if it was just to make a point. It was agonizing to watch. Incredibly so. To the point where I wanted out several times but stayed just to finish. I choice I mildly regret, but I'll stand by my first statement.
Jan 21, 2012 2:26 PM

Jan 2012
I find that with the endings to both the series and EoE I have needed to step back afterwards to reflect...only then do I begin to really comprehend it. I really liked EoE, it brought more closure than the series' ending did, mostly because it placed a greater emphasis on the other characters (though what did Misato have in store for Shinji when he came back? <shudders>) It was great to see Asuka finally snapping out of her depressed funk to kick some ass. As for the very end, I assume that Shinji and Asuka are meant to be some sort of Adam and Eve symbolism and it appears that their feelings for each other are finally more expressed (Asuka caressing Shinji's cheek) and her "how disgusting" quote shows that her personality has finally returned. As for what happens to Shinji and Asuka? Well I really don't know but they certainly were meant to be together if they both rejected instrumentality. It's certainly a bittersweet ending...
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

20 by Ten »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What did Shinji Do?

PachtDD - Dec 17, 2022

20 by Power_Duck12 »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.