Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 8, 2012 4:30 PM
Jul 2012
This was much better than anime's original ending, however there were STILL unanswered questions. That's why I'm not going to give a 10. Although it was pretty much impossible, I wanted this to have a happy ending because anime's second part was incredibly depressive and tragic. Everything was going wrong and falling apart, Evangelion series is very, very sad...
Dec 8, 2012 7:58 PM

Oct 2011
AtomBlast said:
This was much better than anime's original ending, however there were STILL unanswered questions. That's why I'm not going to give a 10. Although it was pretty much impossible, I wanted this to have a happy ending because anime's second part was incredibly depressive and tragic. Everything was going wrong and falling apart, Evangelion series is very, very sad...

And I think that's part of what makes it so special. It doesn't conform to what you'd expect in most anime today. And it leaves you feeling kind of "lolwut" which always leaves multiple revisits open for opportunity.
Dec 10, 2012 3:08 PM

May 2012
Well these where the right 25/26 episodes of the anime, I was really disappointed with the last 2 episodes of the original Anime so this Movie did a quite job making up for it!

The first fight with Asuka and the new eve's was quite impressive but I was quite confused about a couple facts, like why Asuka actually got hurt her self while her eve was being slaughtered "first with her eye but than with her arm being sliced in two" what was up with that, that never happened in the series?

But damn the worst death I found was Misato really liked this character, quite a sad way to die! You'll be missed! But a good way to end it IMO...

Though allot of gore that was actually quite nice and had a good effect but for some reason a higher level of Ecchi appeared that made it for this series not better but just worse...

The use of real life footage was also a bit unexpected but fit in the part they where telling!

The ending it self was a bit weak tbh, just some silent shots "though quite impressive" where still a bit meaningless but for a reason Asuka was there and he was strangling her for a specific reason, and than just nothing the end... rather weak but still good 9/10!

In general the whole anime was quite some watch, some parts of the anime tv series was not really relevant to the story imo but was still proper to watch - I wouldn't call it the best anime I've seen or the best story for that matter but it was a good watch in general I would rate the whole Series a 8.4/10
Dec 13, 2012 11:18 AM

Apr 2009
DEMOLITION_D said:
The End of Evangelion discussion thread: 5 pages

Bleach episode 823 discussion thread: 900 pages

And this is the world that we live in.

i loled

Boba_Fett said:

The first fight with Asuka and the new eve's was quite impressive but I was quite confused about a couple facts, like why Asuka actually got hurt her self while her eve was being slaughtered "first with her eye but than with her arm being sliced in two" what was up with that, that never happened in the series?

It's like they decided to change the rules for the movie so that the pilots get physically injured. If it was like that in the TV series Asuka would be missing both arms by now. I also don't get why she was bandaged up at the very end. Who did that? I doubt bandages are going to help that much when your whole arm is split in half? It would make more sense if she wasn't even injured at all at the end.
Dec 13, 2012 7:02 PM

Sep 2011
TiamatNM said:

It's like they decided to change the rules for the movie so that the pilots get physically injured. If it was like that in the TV series Asuka would be missing both arms by now. I also don't get why she was bandaged up at the very end. Who did that? I doubt bandages are going to help that much when your whole arm is split in half? It would make more sense if she wasn't even injured at all at the end.

You do know that there's such a thing as "reading between the lines" right? Asuka was injured due to the fact that she was in full synchronization with her Eva. At that point it simply adopts the same principle as when Shinji had gone berserk during the battle with the Zeurel angel: the main difference being that Shinji had fully merged with is Eva's core thus being reduced into nothing but LCL, whereas Asuka was simply on the verge of awakening her Eva until she was killed.

The ending was quite literal in granting Shinji's wish of bringing Asuka back to life, albeit as if she was just recovering from the battle with the MP-Evas (inferring that it is still in fact the same "Asuka" while implying that she herself had gone through the same experience as Shinji during Instrumentality), but it was also symbolic in that it was mirroring the iconic injuries that Rei had during the beginning of the series, sort of acting as a book-end to the series.
Dec 13, 2012 8:30 PM

Apr 2009
then why didn't her stomach and guts and face and everything get totally wrecked when she was getting eaten by the mass produced evas? it's not consistent
Dec 16, 2012 2:15 PM

Aug 2012
What the hell was that.
If anything, it left as much closure to the series as much as the original last two episodes.

It was sort of entertaining, though.
Dec 17, 2012 1:05 PM

Oct 2011
ThreePercent said:
What the hell was that.
If anything, it left as much closure to the series as much as the original last two episodes.

It was sort of entertaining, though.

Right over your head there, sport.
Jan 5, 2013 3:14 AM

Jan 2012
This how the tv series should how ended. The first half was the action and brutality that we were looking for. The second half if another philosophical ending that is confusing to follow. sometimes messages are more effective to be conveyed straight forwarded, evangelion loves how to restate lines over and over and over again! I get it already.

FAP FAP FAP FAP out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 5, 2013 4:24 PM

Oct 2011
NoobHunterD said:
This how the tv series should how ended. The first half was the action and brutality that we were looking for. The second half if another philosophical ending that is confusing to follow. sometimes messages are more effective to be conveyed straight forwarded, evangelion loves how to restate lines over and over and over again! I get it already.

FAP FAP FAP FAP out of 10.

Cultured anime viewer ahoy!
Jan 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
While my general impression of the ending for the TV series was positive, I still felt that it had its share of problems. For example, as NoobHunterD mentioned, it had the unfortunate tendency to belabor certain points. Also, it seemed a bit discontinuous from the rest of the series considering how it went from "the last Angel is dead" to "lets see how the Human Instrumentality Project is affecting our characters' minds".

So, thank goodness for this film. End of Evangelion pretty much addressed all of the problematic sections of the original ending. It provided a nice balance between the graphic, violent aspects of the series and the intense, psychological ones. And while it did not answer all of my questions, it answered enough to leave me satisfied.
Jan 14, 2013 12:50 PM

May 2012
Well... That was that.

I'd give EoE like an 8, or a 9, cant really decide. Just one of the strangest and most captivating films i've ever seen and although i didn't understand like 90 percent of what was going on, i was surprisingly entertained the whole way through, holding my breath for what insane imagery would appear next! Did it all make sense? Nope, but it didn't have to; it's Evangelion. In fact i wish the whole show was this audacious, but i guess they couldn't due to budget and TV ratings...

Anno Hideaki has basically created a very personal arthouse film, in disguise as a mecha anime. Which to me is pretty damn amazing, but it's definitely a "love-or-hate-it" type of deal. I'm in the first camp... If you've ever felt alone, existential, sexually frustrated or depressed, chances are you'll connect with this series more than the average anime-goer. I know i did to some extent.

And if you want a mainstream, sane and less depressing Evangelion, the new movies (1.1, 2.2 and so forth) will probably do just that. Don't quote me on that though as i have yet to see them!
who_dat_ninjaJan 15, 2013 3:51 AM
Feb 26, 2013 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
9/10

If anything, it was 100% entertaining.
Feb 28, 2013 2:16 AM
Jan 2013
Well, if anyone needs it these two sites help alot in understanding all this.
http://www.animeyume.com/evangelion/evaending.html which links off to this FAQ site http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq.html. I find the second link the most important - it took me about an hour but it was worth it to find my understanding of everything.

I was angry at this movie and the series ending until I read these so hopefully it helps
But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Feb 28, 2013 2:20 AM

Sep 2012
Reubenguy said:

http://www.animeyume.com/evangelion/evaending.html which links off to this FAQ site http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq.html. I find the second link the most important - it took me about an hour but it was worth it to find my understanding of everything.
Wow, this FAQ is still doing the rounds and making contribution... Unbelievable... This just brought back vivid memories as I wrote it (as part of the team) 14 years ago.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 4, 2013 5:41 PM

Oct 2011
symbv said:
Reubenguy said:

Wow, this FAQ is still doing the rounds and making contribution... Unbelievable... This just brought back vivid memories as I wrote it (as part of the team) 14 years ago.

"Q) Why does Rei appear to Shinji in eps 1? Furthermore, why is she in perfect health while when at NERV she is bandaged from the accident involving Eva-00?

A) There is no official answer. I have heard it suggested that it was a different clone of Rei, but this is highly illogical as there is only one soul that the Rei clones posses and they cannot all have it at the same time, and in The End of Evangelion the three clones of Rei (the ones that were actually "living") stand together during Human Complement Project. Also, this theory does not explain why Rei seems to disappear as Shinji glances away for a second.

I feel I should point out that at the end of The End of Evangelion , there is a scene strikingly similar to that in episode 1."

That's from the FAQ. It doesn't really give an answer at all, which is fine considering there is nothing official to go on, but I remember hearing about a plausible theory a while back that I hold close to my heart as canon to this day.

In the End of Evangelion, Rei (Lilith's soul retainer), is merged with both Adam (via Gendou's hand) and is reunited with Lilith's body, creating an ultimate, Godlike entity we know as Giant Naked Rei. After becoming this omnipotent form, GNR has become more than a mere human and has become a multi-planar being, meaning she/it transcends the natural laws of man.

The image of Rei at the end of the End of Evangelion film and the very beginning of the series is a kind of acknowledgement of GNR's power. Her traveling through reality to greet Shinji at the beginning of episode one is her way of conversing with Shinji. Like a friendly "Hello. This is where it all begins," acknowledging Shinji as the mediator of Instrumentality. Her purpose at the end is a sort of "Goodbye." Meaning, "This is the end of our journey."

This seems to be the most likely explanation to me, as it is impossible to try and comprehend just what exactly is going on in "God"'s mind during the End of Evangelion considering it transcends anything we could possible relate to. And these Rei after-images are likely nothing more than simple greetings. Food for thought.
Mar 9, 2013 9:56 PM

Jul 2012
Yeah, it is a major headfuck, but I don't know how you can pick out just 1 or 2 things that you didn't understand. You either comprehended everything, or nothing at all.
Idle_HandsMar 9, 2013 10:01 PM
Konbu is important
Apr 11, 2013 12:10 PM
Sep 2012
what the f**k? i dont even... huh? what? what did i just watch?

wait...so at the end, is everyone dead except from shinji and asuka.
xtremexxApr 11, 2013 4:11 PM
Apr 12, 2013 9:47 PM

Oct 2011
xtremexx said:
what the f**k? i dont even... huh? what? what did i just watch?

wait...so at the end, is everyone dead except from shinji and asuka.

Not exactly. That is a very objective way of looking at it.
Apr 17, 2013 11:20 AM
Mar 2013
For some reason, the end of the anime really depressed me xD I let unsatisfied and even though Shinji was happy I felt like everyone was fooling themselves :/ I couldn't even sleep the night that I watched it!
On the other hand, the movie gave me closure for the series...some might argue that it was a bleaker conclusion, but I liked the act that this time we were faced with the truth.
Obviously due to my empathy for the characters, half of me wished for a perfect happy ending (especially for poor Shinji and Misato!) but I guess this ending was satisfying.
I thought the tone at the end was pretty optimistic..it was said that it is possible to revert back to your human form with enoughg willpower so I guess things were rugged but hopeful.
Also, although I didn't ship Asuka with Shinji in the anime, I was pleased to see them together in the end...Rei is basically Shinji's mum, and Kaworu only knew Shinji for about two days (although I know it was a string bond they had, I still think the Asuka/Shinji relationship worked better in the end).

Other thoughts:
I wasn't really that grossed out by the Shinji masturbation scene xD
Misato and Shinji's final scene was a total heart breaker! I have a Misato bias..
I thought the Maya/Ritsuko thing was really sad but sweet.
Apr 18, 2013 12:03 AM

Mar 2012
This movie was weird, maybe too weird.
Apr 18, 2013 4:50 AM

Sep 2011
freyakoala said:
For some reason, the end of the anime really depressed me xD I let unsatisfied and even though Shinji was happy I felt like everyone was fooling themselves :/ I couldn't even sleep the night that I watched it!
On the other hand, the movie gave me closure for the series...some might argue that it was a bleaker conclusion, but I liked the act that this time we were faced with the truth.
Obviously due to my empathy for the characters, half of me wished for a perfect happy ending (especially for poor Shinji and Misato!) but I guess this ending was satisfying.
I thought the tone at the end was pretty optimistic..it was said that it is possible to revert back to your human form with enoughg willpower so I guess things were rugged but hopeful.
Also, although I didn't ship Asuka with Shinji in the anime, I was pleased to see them together in the end...Rei is basically Shinji's mum, and Kaworu only knew Shinji for about two days (although I know it was a string bond they had, I still think the Asuka/Shinji relationship worked better in the end).

Other thoughts:
I wasn't really that grossed out by the Shinji masturbation scene xD
Misato and Shinji's final scene was a total heart breaker! I have a Misato bias..
I thought the Maya/Ritsuko thing was really sad but sweet.

Interestingly, a lot of your thoughts greatly reflected my own. ^_^

I agree, even if it seemed as though it was bleak, the ending was fairly optimistic despite the apocalyptic imagery. I mean sure it wasn't a perfectly happy ending, but it was definitely hopeful in the way it communicated the final message of the film. While I personally love the ending of this, it's great to see that someone else got the little nuances in what was shown of the characters in this film (specifically Misato, Ritsuko, Maya etc.) I too agree that Asuka and Shinji's relationship really stood out here and within the series. I also thought the same about Kaworu and Rei, though I'd say that Rei was more like a sister to Shinji (it did say that had Shinji been a girl, he would've been called "Rei").
Apr 21, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
Very complicated show. I dont want to insult anybody or start bitching about tastes, but I think this show shouldnt be rated 10/10, becouse I dont belive anyone could get what happens in this show without proper analyze or rewatching it, at least if you are not psychology student. What I mean by that? Some aspects of plot are not clear enough. Maybe I am wrong with it, maybe thats what is demantia genre is.

So I've learned that author had advanced depression, so Shinji could be some kind reconstruction of his personality at his hard time. By the way many people hate Shinji for his pussy-like behaviour, dont forget guys he is 14 years old without family, at one moment he have to fight aliens. Then we can see people that he was working with are mentaly wrecked like him. No wonder why he is acting like that.

I feel sad how characters ended like, same about tragery ending. I guess it helped author in curing his illness.

I dont know what score I should give to it, becouse I dont want to be like "uh I dont understand that, so it must be crap LOL"

Maybe I will rewatch this, maybe I will watch movies that is coming out recently. At the moment I want just forget about this.

Oh yeah, If someone will whine at your profile like:
"wow I watched this *** harem anime, and I am disappointed that protagonist ended with this heroine GOSH"
Then you can reply:
"hey dude I have perfect show that will cure your iritation ;)"
If you know what I mean :D
Apr 22, 2013 1:45 AM

Sep 2011
dzejkobz said:

Maybe I will rewatch this, maybe I will watch movies that is coming out recently. At the moment I want just forget about this.

Evangelion is definitely one of those things that are better understood around the second time you watch it. Also I highly recommend the movies. They're different in small ways until they slowly start to diverge from the original. The little references in the new movies are so prominent that you can almost treat like it's a spiritual sequel to the original series. ^_^
Apr 24, 2013 1:54 AM

Sep 2011
This isn't really sink me in. I don't know if I'm going to rate this a 7 or 8... but I guess the former.

Also, the finale really confused me. Okay, Asuka 'survives' and there's Shinji but will they have a purpose so that's why they're the only 2 who survive? And I still don't get it why Shinji wanted to kill Asuka.

For heavens sake, can someone explain the finale(The last few minutes) to me?

Apr 24, 2013 1:58 AM

Oct 2011
Tennouji_ said:
This isn't really sink me in. I don't know if I'm going to rate this a 7 or 8... but I guess the former.

Also, the finale really confused me. Okay, Asuka 'survives' and there's Shinji but will they have a purpose so that's why they're the only 2 who survive? And I still don't get it why Shinji wanted to kill Asuka.

You openly admit to "not getting" something yet you have the confidence to give it a proper rating?

MAL doesn't demand a rating from you. Watch it again. Don't sully EoE's rating any further because you didn't understand what happened.
Apr 24, 2013 2:09 AM

Sep 2011
DEMOLITION_D said:

MAL doesn't demand a rating from you. Watch it again. Don't sully EoE's rating any further because you didn't understand what happened.

So I have no right to rate this show because there are things that I don't get it?

Don't get the wrong idea, how I rate doesn't affect if I understood the series or not. I rate a series base on my enjoyment and I kinda enjoyed this show despite the mindfuckery that it gave to me. And I never intended to sully EoE's rating in the first place.
TennoujiApr 24, 2013 2:42 AM

Apr 24, 2013 6:21 AM

Sep 2011
Tennouji_ said:

Human Instrumentality almost occurred, but because of Shinji being locked inside Unit-01, he had a say in how it would be run. Combine the fact that Rei and Kaworu, essentially Lillith and Adam at this point, had a deep connection to Shinji, and this gave Shinji a bigger chance to to have a say in things.

After some heavy reflection, mind-screw, and an argument with the Asuka in his mind, Shinji decided to reject Instrumentality. In doing so, he freed himself while preventing the rest of humanity from combining into one collective being. Asuka seemed to have survived as well, whether or not it's because of her own survival instinct or because Shinji wished for her return is somewhat ambiguous (though both explanation seem plausible).

In the end, all of humanity had been reduced into LCL, thus leaving Shinji and Asuka as the only remaining human life on Earth. Still, Yui said that anyone who had the will could actually pull themselves out from the LCL so it's not entirely a bleak ending so to speak as it gives the prospect that some people can actually return back to normal just as Shinji and Asuka did.

Shinji nearly choked Asuka to death as a way to re-affirm his existence, in order to determine if what he was seeing were real or not, especially given the mind-screw he had just experienced. With Asuka's comforting touch, Shinji realized he's back on Earth and breaks down into tears from the whole experience. At the same time, Asuka's spunky attitude had returned, with her normal self finally back.

While it certainly seems very mind-screwy, it was actually a very optimistic ending with a bit of hope attached to it. Kaworu and Rei find peace in their self-realization and transformation as Adam and Lillith; with both confronting and comforting Shinji for the final time. Despite her initial death, Asuka re-discovered her love for her mother, while maintaining her will to survive. Finally, Shinji learns to accept himself and the life he has despite all the pain and suffering he's been through.
ronriApr 24, 2013 6:28 AM
Apr 24, 2013 12:58 PM

Aug 2012
DEMOLITION_D said:
You openly admit to "not getting" something yet you have the confidence to give it a proper rating?

If story is not clear enough I can give it a lower score. It can be less enjoyable if its complicated.
JeycoppApr 24, 2013 1:02 PM
Apr 24, 2013 5:21 PM

Sep 2011
ronri said:
Tennouji_ said:

Human Instrumentality almost occurred, but because of Shinji being locked inside Unit-01, he had a say in how it would be run. Combine the fact that Rei and Kaworu, essentially Lillith and Adam at this point, had a deep connection to Shinji, and this gave Shinji a bigger chance to to have a say in things.

After some heavy reflection, mind-screw, and an argument with the Asuka in his mind, Shinji decided to reject Instrumentality. In doing so, he freed himself while preventing the rest of humanity from combining into one collective being. Asuka seemed to have survived as well, whether or not it's because of her own survival instinct or because Shinji wished for her return is somewhat ambiguous (though both explanation seem plausible).

In the end, all of humanity had been reduced into LCL, thus leaving Shinji and Asuka as the only remaining human life on Earth. Still, Yui said that anyone who had the will could actually pull themselves out from the LCL so it's not entirely a bleak ending so to speak as it gives the prospect that some people can actually return back to normal just as Shinji and Asuka did.

Shinji nearly choked Asuka to death as a way to re-affirm his existence, in order to determine if what he was seeing were real or not, especially given the mind-screw he had just experienced. With Asuka's comforting touch, Shinji realized he's back on Earth and breaks down into tears from the whole experience. At the same time, Asuka's spunky attitude had returned, with her normal self finally back.

While it certainly seems very mind-screwy, it was actually a very optimistic ending with a bit of hope attached to it. Kaworu and Rei find peace in their self-realization and transformation as Adam and Lillith; with both confronting and comforting Shinji for the final time. Despite her initial death, Asuka re-discovered her love for her mother, while maintaining her will to survive. Finally, Shinji learns to accept himself and the life he has despite all the pain and suffering he's been through.

I really thought it's a pessimistic ending due to on how it ended.

Anyway, thanks a bunch. ;D

Apr 25, 2013 2:19 AM

Sep 2011
@Tennouji

Haha no problem, thought I'd at least clear it up for you. ^_^
May 11, 2013 12:35 PM

Feb 2012
Well what I have to say this movie. My mind is having too confusing time watching this and rebirth at same day. Not cool O_O

What I could understand from the movie. This was alternative way going than showing what happened in Shinji's mind like we saw in Tv-series last 2 episodes.

First, they made a lot of changes. Part I was like suddenly what happened after Kaworu had passed away and Asuka was in mental sick in that time. It's direct continuation from Tv-series, or Rebirth movie. So SEELE got to use their EVA army and try to destroy NERV with it, and capture Unit 01. Kind of weird they didn't got EVA series ready in Tv-series. They were planning and building these machines.

Not sure was "Second Impact" result by Lilith and ADAM fighting over. Or was it because Katsuragi experiment got wrong and ADAM's lance was throw off and that result in accident.

Misato dying and Ritsuko dying was really dramatic changes they made for the movie. This must been why Anno got so many people hate the movie. Also this was probably more gory than TV-series. Especially with EVA series smashing Asuka's Unit 02 and eating it. That was disgusting to watch.

Animation was a lot better than in TV-series and Rebirth.

Part II, I didn't so much understand, than Rei fused with Lilith and she went to scare people and popping them in orange juice. WTF?! O_O But what really was Intsrumentality project no idea. Maybe showing Shinji how world works?

so Lilith and ADAM both passed away I guess... I understood choking part that Shinji was trying to strangle Asuka by showing her that she is same than him and they both has same things to relate to. The end was really weird that they were in LCD and only Asuka and Shinji were in human form. And when Asuka says "This is disgusting" she could mean position she was in, or movie events that happened.

Still, with symbols it makes it one of the movie masterpieces.

I would give it 4/5 so overall 9
May 14, 2013 11:03 AM

Apr 2011
I have never watched something so complicated in my life. Damn.
May 15, 2013 2:00 PM

May 2009
wtf just happened, legit very interesting though o-o
May 16, 2013 12:54 AM

Oct 2011
rpn101 said:
wtf just happened, legit very interesting though o-o

You were loved tenderly through your brain hole
May 17, 2013 7:37 AM

Dec 2008
Better than shit ending of anime but still not THAT good. I hope the Rebuild will be better.
May 19, 2013 11:22 AM

Mar 2013
Oh gods, everybody dies.

8.5/10

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 31, 2013 8:12 AM

May 2013
K, then.
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
May 31, 2013 8:49 AM

Jul 2011
Mixxu said:
Well what I have to say this movie. My mind is having too confusing time watching this and rebirth at same day. Not cool O_O

What I could understand from the movie. This was alternative way going than showing what happened in Shinji's mind like we saw in Tv-series last 2 episodes.

First, they made a lot of changes. Part I was like suddenly what happened after Kaworu had passed away and Asuka was in mental sick in that time. It's direct continuation from Tv-series, or Rebirth movie. So SEELE got to use their EVA army and try to destroy NERV with it, and capture Unit 01. Kind of weird they didn't got EVA series ready in Tv-series. They were planning and building these machines.

Not sure was "Second Impact" result by Lilith and ADAM fighting over. Or was it because Katsuragi experiment got wrong and ADAM's lance was throw off and that result in accident.

Misato dying and Ritsuko dying was really dramatic changes they made for the movie. This must been why Anno got so many people hate the movie. Also this was probably more gory than TV-series. Especially with EVA series smashing Asuka's Unit 02 and eating it. That was disgusting to watch.

Animation was a lot better than in TV-series and Rebirth.

Part II, I didn't so much understand, than Rei fused with Lilith and she went to scare people and popping them in orange juice. WTF?! O_O But what really was Intsrumentality project no idea. Maybe showing Shinji how world works?

so Lilith and ADAM both passed away I guess... I understood choking part that Shinji was trying to strangle Asuka by showing her that she is same than him and they both has same things to relate to. The end was really weird that they were in LCD and only Asuka and Shinji were in human form. And when Asuka says "This is disgusting" she could mean position she was in, or movie events that happened.

Still, with symbols it makes it one of the movie masterpieces.

I would give it 4/5 so overall 9

This!
May 31, 2013 12:18 PM

Aug 2008
I'm still kind of confused why people hate 25/26 so much. Did they miss the point of Evangelion or something?

I like this movie too but I'm just not sure why people will defend it despite it's crazyness and not defend the TV ending.
Jun 1, 2013 2:24 AM

Oct 2011
hyperknees91 said:
I'm still kind of confused why people hate 25/26 so much. Did they miss the point of Evangelion or something?

I like this movie too but I'm just not sure why people will defend it despite it's crazyness and not defend the TV ending.

I mainly see people defending both nowadays though. After all, with all the Rebuild is bringing to the table we once-enemies must band together to prove to the world that old Eva is best Eva.
Jun 1, 2013 2:33 AM

Sep 2012
hyperknees91 said:
People want to know what exactly happens outside Shinji's inner world and what happens to other people. The cut to 25/26 is so abrupt that it seems everything is thrown aside. It is no coincidence that the rumor about the studio ran out of money to do proper animation (which could involve lots of action) easily took hold when 25/26 aired. The movie is sort of a reaction to such sentiment as the creators (mainly Anno) showed the external events but then they also did it in their own way, so there is still a lot of depiction of inner world of Shinji and it does not answer all the questions - instead it raises even more, and of course it does not provide the sort of happy ending the 25/26 has, which totally caught the fans off guard - which caused quite a lot of fans to turn against it. So it is not really true that people only defend the EoE movie. Perhaps it only looks that way to you now -- but it was far from the case in the years after it was shown. Both TV ending and EoE got quite a number of detractors.

So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 1, 2013 12:16 PM

Aug 2008
Ah I see, that makes sense.

Granted I was happy with the TV ending as a kid (I was like 11) but then I watched end of evangelion and was like o.O. Heck I didn't even know what Shinji did at the beginning of the movie, I thought he sneezed all over his hand or something. Though I did enjoy the Asuka fight a lot (still my favorite fight in the series).

Funny enough my main thought at the end of the movie back then was "Is PenPen ok then?" But yeah, I appreciate it a bit more these days.
Jun 3, 2013 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
I could give you insight on why the TV series ending isn't defended well...mostly because when you finish it, you get a wtf kind of a moment. What was all of that supposed to mean? Why did it suddenly cut to something that is totally different from what happened before? After having finished this movie, I think what was done in the last 2 episodes was needed, but I think they dragged it out for far too long, it wasn't something that in my mind needed two whole episodes to explore and show. One key word sums it well: Presentation. The presentation of the final 2 episodes made no sense unless you saw the movie portion.

Also I don't think it was just Shinji's mind being explored, I think it was all 4 main characters inner workings being explored. This is something I think should have been done earlier on in the series, I like some others felt that it was put off too long, you hardly knew much about the characters pasts until the last 5 episodes. Even then, Shinji still has the problem he's had since the first episode...which in my mind...I think that dragged out for too long. The other 3 also, have no clue what their purpose for living is. It's because of this that the TV series, and really the movie couldn't give a definitive ending because it had too much else to explain and show first.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 3, 2013 1:13 PM

Mar 2012
My opinion on movie:

This was more of what I think the TV series final moments should have been. However, it raises a hell of a lot more questions than answers but it's still much more satisfying than the TV series.

The only thing I have trouble with is it seems like Gendou's and Seele's goals were practically one in the same. Gendou wanted to be the one to fuse into Lillith to fuse into Adam, thus reuniting with Yui, but that's also what Seele wanted as well, only they had the Eva series to complete their "purpose" I suppose. It's kind of anticlimactic since the ending only leaves two people alive, and I still don't see how Asuka is still alive. Because of this ending, the word "Genesis" in the series title makes more sense, at least in biblical terms, it's the creation chapter, Adam and Eve = Shinji and Asuka?

Anywho, I'd give this a 9/10, but because I feel like too much was left unsaid, it's not 100% satisfying.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 4, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2008
Venom900 said:
I could give you insight on why the TV series ending isn't defended well...mostly because when you finish it, you get a wtf kind of a moment. What was all of that supposed to mean? Why did it suddenly cut to something that is totally different from what happened before? After having finished this movie, I think what was done in the last 2 episodes was needed, but I think they dragged it out for far too long, it wasn't something that in my mind needed two whole episodes to explore and show. One key word sums it well: Presentation. The presentation of the final 2 episodes made no sense unless you saw the movie portion.

Also I don't think it was just Shinji's mind being explored, I think it was all 4 main characters inner workings being explored. This is something I think should have been done earlier on in the series, I like some others felt that it was put off too long, you hardly knew much about the characters pasts until the last 5 episodes. Even then, Shinji still has the problem he's had since the first episode...which in my mind...I think that dragged out for too long. The other 3 also, have no clue what their purpose for living is. It's because of this that the TV series, and really the movie couldn't give a definitive ending because it had too much else to explain and show first.

Well I always thought after Shinji killed Kaworu his mind snapped, hence the change in presentation. Asuka mind was already broken and Misato was always psychologically unstable. Exploring their minds wasn't really thing that out of place because this series has always been about the psychology of the characters over the actual story.

Now on the dragging out stuff, I can somewhat agree. The budget and the need to have 26 episodes was probably part of the problem. Evangelion probably only had the script for 20 episodes quite honestly.
Jun 4, 2013 7:45 PM

Mar 2012
hyperknees91 said:

Well I always thought after Shinji killed Kaworu his mind snapped, hence the change in presentation. Asuka mind was already broken and Misato was always psychologically unstable. Exploring their minds wasn't really thing that out of place because this series has always been about the psychology of the characters over the actual story.

There's still a difference between what happened in those two episodes as well as how it was presented and the rest of the show that redefines what the show is...that was the turn off, though I give the two episodes some sort of credit, it definately wasn't something anyone was expecting.

It started getting repetitive in episode 26 because the characters were asking the same questions again as they did in 25 and really the same questions are repetitively asked throughout the entire show..and to no avail, it's the same answers "I don't know", for the most part at least for me, it was like when is this going to end and the actual story going to continue...especially since Shinji's been a wreck of a character since episode 1

In short the only thing I got out of the two episodes before I watched the movie: Morale of the story is don't invent a machine that needs kids with troubled pasts as pilots.

hyperknees91 said:

Now on the dragging out stuff, I can somewhat agree. The budget and the need to have 26 episodes was probably part of the problem. Evangelion probably only had the script for 20 episodes quite honestly.

I feel like the budget problem was just adapted to easily explain why the show ended the way it did..it was never proven..but I guess I'm just a skeptical person, honestly I stick to my guns that the writer didn't know how to end the show...that's evident because of the movie series remake of the show...otherwise why change a script you wanted orginally?

Jun 4, 2013 7:53 PM

Oct 2012
^This video should be helpful

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 4, 2013 9:45 PM

Mar 2012
^Doesn't change a thing.

Jun 4, 2013 10:46 PM

Oct 2012
Venom900 said:
^Doesn't change a thing.

How so?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

20 by Ten »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What did Shinji Do?

PachtDD - Dec 17, 2022

20 by Power_Duck12 »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.