Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2011 1:49 AM
Nov 2009
it's a nice first episode, though I'm disappointed that the whole Menma-is-a-ghost-and-jintan's-the-only-one-who-can-see-her story was so damn obvious five minutes from the start.
guh. ;;"
Apr 18, 2011 4:06 AM

Aug 2010
The change between happy and sad moments were abrupt, couldn't really get into the story so far. I hope it will get better by the next episode. 4/5 because it has potential.
Apr 18, 2011 4:48 AM
May 2009
I must say, its a very good start to this series. I look forward to watching it.

Some Funny moments but really concentrates on the contrast of two different times.

Reminds me of NHK because of Jinta's somewhat Hikkikomori's Problems.
Apr 18, 2011 7:37 AM
Mar 2010
This is beautiful first episode for an anime.....
Menma is a dead girl..... poor her.... Jinta cannot ask sorry to her......
All begins are satisfied, imho we will see very good anime....

next to 2nd ep
Apr 18, 2011 2:48 PM

Dec 2008
I usually wait for a show to be finished to start watching since I liked sitting down and having a good marathon of shows. But for some reason I saw this on a fansubbers website and decided to download to give it a try.

And now I am killing myself that I watched the first episode because now I am actually going to want to watch this and it is going to annoy me that I have to wait week after week to watch it.

This first episode just had everything for me. Little laughs here and there and just an overall good looking story. I couldn't believe how sad this made me. I usually only tear up at a couple of things but this episode had my eyes moist almost the entire time. I even had a tear or two trickle down my face.
Apr 18, 2011 6:41 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
First episode was indeed well executed....

The summer....the nostalgia....I can already immerse myself in the settings....This, is going to be a very emotional series....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 18, 2011 6:49 PM

Jun 2007
soulelle said:

DeathfireD said:
I bet this is the story on how the power rangers where formed. By the end I expect mecha battles.
LOL, I wish you were right DeathfireD! But since this show's not done by Shaft, the chances are pretty low xDDD oh and nice seeing you here - I still kinda miss your relationship charts from the White Album discussion threads xD

I can still dream right ;)? Thanks, RL's been consuming my time. Maybe I'll start doing the charts again after this anime season is done.
Apr 18, 2011 6:53 PM

Sep 2007
Kazejimonji said:
dxb_blackwolf said:
neckgripper said:
Yumekichi11 said:

About Anjo Naruko, my #3 favorite character right after Jinta and who could resist such a girl when she as such a pose in the following,

while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that.

She wasn't on her period, that reddish cotton was to wipe off nail polish. I mean what girl leaves her period juice out on her table like that. Pretty disgusting don't you think?

xD lol I laughed hard at the period thing.

THIS. xDDD

Seriously wtf? How does anyone even come to a conclusion like leaving period blood on the table?

And am I the only one that got zero reaction from this episode? Pretty obvious that Menma was dead right from the get go when Jin's father seemed completely oblivious to her. If the episode hadn't been centered around giving obvious hints of her being dead, maybe I would've been surprised when they showed her family talking about her. Other than that, seems like a completely normal life they've been living. Friends drift apart, etc.
WasabiApr 18, 2011 6:57 PM
Apr 18, 2011 7:06 PM

Oct 2009
Must. Not. Cry. On. The. First. God. Damn. Episode. MUST. NOT. CRY.!.

@the guy above:

Idiot, no shit it was obvious she was dead; watching anime -- you're doing it wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2011 7:15 PM

Sep 2007
DoubleDango said:
Must. Not. Cry. On. The. First. God. Damn. Episode. MUST. NOT. CRY.!.

@the guy above:

Idiot, no shit it was obvious she was dead; watching anime -- you're doing it wrong.

y so srs? cry moar kthx
Apr 18, 2011 7:32 PM

Oct 2009
whyumadthough.png
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2011 11:41 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Although it was executed (at times) well, this anime has yet to impress me. I found it too predicable and don't really get how some of you cried over this. :V

I don't drop shows that much so I'll probably continue watching but I hope something interesting happens.

blahrgness said:
Makes me angry that this isn't just a really long movie.

Having episodes doesn't suit this anime.
Agreed. I think this would be a great story for a movie. As a series we're probably going to get the typical hot spring/school trip/confession episodes which are so bothersome by now. I have hope though; this is a noitaminA show after all.
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 19, 2011 12:07 AM

Oct 2009
Huh, I really doubt we'll get any hot spring/school trip/confession episodes. Must be watching a different show.

Seriously, the main (arguable) protagnonist is a 'shut-in'; he couldn't even go out in the streets casually. What we'll see is some slow but credible characther development as the plot unfolds in forms of small revelations (they're not there to make you guess... they are revelations aka they reveal stuff aka it's not 'predictable' because they were effective).

By the end of the series we'll probably see Jintan with a new perspective in life as well as some goals set. The group of friends re-discovering life (as it is) and reflecting on their past. Menma resting in peace once her wish will be granted (though it'd obviously not be the original wish, some twist is needed).
YanofliesApr 19, 2011 12:12 AM
Apr 19, 2011 12:27 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
DoubleDango said:
Huh, I really doubt we'll get any hot spring/school trip/confession episodes. Must be watching a different show.
That is why I said I have hope though, especially since it's noitaminA. Also, depending on how long this series ends up being, we might not have to sit through those types of scenarios.
DoubleDango said:
Seriously, the main (arguable) protagnonist is a 'shut-in'; he couldn't even go out in the streets casually. What we'll see is some slow but credible characther development as the plot unfolds in forms of small revelations (they're not there to make you guess... they are revelations aka they reveal stuff aka it's not 'predictable' because they were effective).

By the end of the series we'll probably see Jintan with a new perspective in life as well as some goals set. The group of friends re-discovering life (as it is) and reflecting on their past. Menma resting in peace once her wish will be granted (though it'd obviously not be the original wish, some twist is needed).
What you last said here is great and I agree with it -but isn't what you wrote a prediction in itself? It being predictable in that sense is what I was talking about.
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 19, 2011 1:24 AM
Apr 2011
I think this first episode shows great promise. None of the other great animes brought me this much emotions (not all sad) in just the first episode. I think it was a great intro into the anime, and this could very well become my all time favorite.

Only concern is how the anime is paced; I agree with those who think this plot is movie material; I wouldn't want it to lag on and on with filler episodes; then again, I love this kind of anime, and wouldn't mind watching a lot of it.

But the hardest part to make for an anime is IMO, the beginning and the end. The beginning is what gives the first impression of the anime; something that's very hard to change. It brings in the viewers and lets them decide how much they'll like this anime.

The ending is what everyone will remember. If the ending isn't satisfactory, all the effort put in the first few episodes will be wasted. And for me, I can't see any of the obvious endings (friends all get back together, jintan gets together with anaru, etc) being entirely satisfactory for me. At least not at the level of becoming a classic in the repertoire of slice of life/drama anime.

Overall I am VERY pleased with this season; I think that there are at least 3-4 anime this season that will make my top 10 list for the past 3-4 years. Maybe even top 5.
Apr 19, 2011 2:11 AM

Nov 2009
^ that's true, but for me it's just about several seasons. I've just wondered that animes nowadays are going so wrong ... but now I'm very pleased.
It's like a new hope, for those who like drama/romance ani like me.
Apr 19, 2011 2:15 AM

Aug 2010
I like this anime. What i really like is theres no surprise Jinta can tell Menma's dead shes either a ghost or hallucanation theres no heavy phsycolgical crap and then audience can tell the dudes crazy
Apr 19, 2011 2:36 AM

Nov 2010
I don't like this at all, I find it very stupid. Plus, the girl is annoying!
Think i'll drop this unless the next ep changes the story completely.
Apr 19, 2011 5:08 AM

Nov 2007
this show is pretty good lets hope it has a full 24-26 epi season its quite a refreshing anime unlike all the genric shows that have aired in the last year

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Apr 19, 2011 7:18 AM

Nov 2010
I'm surprised that there're some people who have guessed the PREMISE of the story from the first few minutes and giving this anime low rating because of that.

What's so bad with guessable PREMISE???They didn't even planned to make a scene in Menma's house as a surprise, and some people think that they're smart because they're guessing the obvious early. I facepalmed.

Some people are over-estimating plot surprises while it's not the only thing that make anime good. So sad they will miss a lot of good animes because of that.
zeroyuki92Apr 19, 2011 7:23 AM
Apr 19, 2011 1:52 PM

Jan 2010
I love how after reading the summary on MAL, I thought this would be some romance like Toradora or something, and it just so happens that the main character is dead. Amazing story, loved it all.
Apr 19, 2011 1:59 PM

Nov 2010
Great first ep, Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 19, 2011 5:49 PM

Jul 2008
zeroyuki92 said:
I'm surprised that there're some people who have guessed the PREMISE of the story from the first few minutes and giving this anime low rating because of that.

What's so bad with guessable PREMISE???They didn't even planned to make a scene in Menma's house as a surprise, and some people think that they're smart because they're guessing the obvious early. I facepalmed.

Are people mad because there is not a twist where we don't find out she is dead until the last episode or something?
Apr 20, 2011 10:36 AM

Jun 2008
Loved it. Although I don't really like airhead ghosts xD
Still, I'm looking forward to the next episode
Apr 20, 2011 10:59 AM

Jul 2008
Just watched it. And it was boring. I guess I shouldn't watch Hanasaku Iroha ep 3 (which would decide whether I would drop it or not) right after this one if I don't want to die of boredom (and typicality).

And Menma is just annoying, nothing more, nothing less. At least Aria has some redeeming features...well more like redeeming weapons. lol
Apr 20, 2011 12:13 PM

Nov 2010
I'm getting a Cross Game Deja Vu from this.
Hopefully it's different, but just as good.
1lauApr 22, 2011 2:22 AM
Apr 20, 2011 6:57 PM

Mar 2010
Unbelievable how much of a tear-jerker that single first episode was! I'm honestly afraid I might break down watching this like I did with ''Clannad'' or ''Toradora''. So while I'm not necessarily looking forward to everything depressing in this series, I am going to look forward to everything else. A magnificent story line, genuine characters, beautiful animation, and something that just screams: Warning! May cause viewer to be emotionally distraught at some point! This is most definitely going to be in my top anime this year, I know it! Haven't said this in a while, but, absolutely looking forward to the next!
Apr 21, 2011 5:51 AM
Jul 2009
Very, vey good episode, PLEASE don't screw up.
Apr 21, 2011 12:51 PM

Feb 2011
interesting plot
so how long jinta see Menma illusion

looks like i can see the ending
maybe the plot was how jinta fulfill menma wish
Apr 21, 2011 9:00 PM

Mar 2011
Nice! Picked this up on a whim after seeing Jacob and Mike talk about it!

I liked this first episode, set the scene well and introduced us to most of the main characters, the 6 kids and their grown-up forms! Format has been used well before and I found myself empathising with the protagonist so success overall so far!

I'll watch the next episode and hope it grows on me!
Apr 22, 2011 7:12 AM

Mar 2010
So sad yet beautiful 5/5

Apr 22, 2011 8:47 AM

Nov 2008
Never expected Menma to be a ghost until I watched the anime.
And definitely did not expect it to be this depressing T__T

It was so sad when Menma visited her family. "Menma knows she's already dead..." It's raining on my face ;w;
Apr 22, 2011 9:55 PM

Jun 2010
GOD its the first episode and im allready torn. HOW am i going to wait for an episode every week?
Apr 23, 2011 9:00 AM

Jun 2009
Beautiful start. I really enjoyed this episode a lot. ^^ Sure, it was sad but I was expecting it to be sad and I already knew that Menma is dead since second PV already revealed that.
Apr 23, 2011 9:32 AM

Dec 2007
Such a cute moe ghost.

Very interesting concept though, I'd like to see how this anime pans out.
Apr 23, 2011 11:04 PM

Jul 2008
Depressing. I hate how much I love this.
Apr 25, 2011 7:19 PM

Sep 2008
Tugs at the heartstrings.

Haven't seen a series with characters like these in a while.
They picked the perfect series for the summer, ZONE's ED is so perfect for it that it's just utterly depressing.
Apr 25, 2011 8:27 PM

Nov 2007
Wow this anime made me pretty emotional and I don't normally get emotional with anime. I hope this series doesn't sell its self short and becomes the masterpiece its set its self up to be with the first episode.
Apr 26, 2011 12:54 AM

Nov 2010
Ridiculous good. The amount of emotion put into the first episode was just perfect. I've never seen a first episode this good in a while now. This will definitely be one of my top picks for this season.
Apr 27, 2011 3:36 AM

Jul 2009
In 6:12 , when that girl says '' I don't know'' does she also say 'tebayo , or is it just my imagination ?
Apr 27, 2011 9:17 AM

Sep 2009
wow this just my kind of anime

hoping for more of it
Apr 27, 2011 8:34 PM

Jan 2008
- Menma is cute.
- This seems interesting.
Apr 28, 2011 9:50 AM

Dec 2010
This was amazing! So emotional but really good.
Deliveries go here pls <3
Candy Kingdom
(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
May 1, 2011 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
BlackSnake56 said:
wow this just my kind of anime

hoping for more of it

this

just what i was looking for
May 4, 2011 2:33 PM

Sep 2008
Wow, that was really depressing.
Though it moves a bit slowly, I thought it was still an excellent first episode.
May 4, 2011 7:14 PM

Feb 2010
great first episode.. 2 more eps then I'm caught up... :P
May 8, 2011 7:30 AM

Apr 2009
So i was going to wait for this to finish before starting it. But i couldn't wait... It makes me so sad knowing I'll be waiting every week for the next ep ;_;

side note: This episode made me tear up :(
May 12, 2011 11:51 PM
May 2010
I can see how this anime relates to my childhood back in my country... Anyways, this anime would be good to be made into live action, especially when the guy realizes his dream and starts running and screaming on the street (You know what I mean...)...
May 13, 2011 3:06 AM

Feb 2011
dang! nostalgia hits.

I think i need to prepare mentally for the more up coming drama
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.