Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2011 10:22 PM

Aug 2009
Blackiris said:
Not quite as good as in the vn, but hey - thus far nothing has been omitted. That's already something to rejoice over, right? A pretty enjoyable episode, if I were to say, I don't want to raise my hopes too much, but it seems that we really might get the second good decent adaptation of a vn (the first one being AS).

I have a feeling that you're reading the VN only to compare it to its anime adaption. Why won't you drop the VN and try to enjoy the anime as a stand-alone production? It's way more fun to watch it like that and you'll have less complaints too.
Apr 12, 2011 10:43 PM

Apr 2009
Ah Ruka <3

Hmm, while watching the episode I was still pretty much befuddled, though not quite as lost as on the first episode, but reading over what you guys have written is really amazing. ^_^; No way I would have made any of those connections or thought that deeply while watching (and my math teacher loves talking about these kinds of things too...)
Apr 12, 2011 10:53 PM

Sep 2009
The anticipation is killing me! This is definitely one of the most interesting shows this season. Of course it helps I already love stuff that involves time travel.
Apr 12, 2011 11:01 PM

Apr 2010
Congrats to him. His microwave is the first teleporter that can move more than a few atoms at once.

Apr 12, 2011 11:04 PM

Jan 2011
Fai said:
willardhwright said:
But it does not need a clear catalyst for divergence of timelines. Theoretically a person spitting his saliva at the wrong time due to future knowledge could alter everything through minor details and coincidences.

which is still a catalyst, kind of. But what it's not what I wanted to say.
What I meant is that there is not as many variations in this episode as in the first one.
Sure, a lot of things changed because of this message, but that's expected (chaos theory, anyone?). The viewer is not here "...what the heck", when I definitely was in ep1. I don't see any big problem despite searching for it..

but yous see, we see it from Rintaro's POV. If he is not the cause of the divergence, he is oblivious to it just as well as entire universe is. Figures we will only see and know the divergence points created by Rintaro himself. Otherwise one will just have to look for differences. No matter how small.

This makes a lot of potential for very mindfucky things. (like how for example in Buffy season 5, after four seasons of Buffy being a single and only child, suddenly her sister appears and everyone acts as if she was there from beginning)

Although that wasn't a question of diverging universes due to a change, but rather the manipulation of a particular universe by a magical artifact (the Key). To my recollection Buffy did one double take when her sister showed up before falling into line in the new reality.

Rather than one controlled mf setting up an entire story arc, this has the potential to set up numerous diverging time lines (as each manipulation of the past doubles the total). I would also think that any manipulation which has even the smallest chance of probabilistic outcomes rather than binary yes or no would generate even more timelines (recipient of message from phone microwave misunderstands key word and takes a third or fourth course of action).

Interesting to note that if Okarin has memories of another timeline that means that the decision points create the divergent universes rather than an infinite number of parallel universe timelines existing from the moment that the universe began. (and we won't go into those lines where the universe didn't begin).
rodacApr 12, 2011 11:22 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 12, 2011 11:30 PM

May 2009
Otoko da....
Apr 12, 2011 11:30 PM

Dec 2010
Wow I really love this series. Okarin's reaction to Makise when she was alive was a bit psychotic which was sweet. We then see his laughable side when he got told off by her at the lecture. Lol at him cringing when he was reminded of her saying his name multiple times.

ROFL at Okarin pointing out the fact that Ruka was a guy everytime he makes a statement about his femininity.

Pretty interesting what that john titor guy said. Makes a bit more sense regarding what has gone on so far too.

Holy shit..the ending was trippy. Imagine if that happened in real life - I'd be going WTF? And Makise always showing up at the end...scary psychotic moment next ep?

4/5

Oh yeah and ll forever remember Okabe Rintarou and his laugh.

Apr 12, 2011 11:48 PM

Jul 2010
Okarin mobile phone has something to do with this. starting scene were really interesting.
"But he's a guy" mad scientist is really funny and miyano laughs are just amazing.
Apr 13, 2011 12:09 AM
Mar 2010
Yay, a cute shrine maiden
It's a trap! FFFFFFUUU

So the microwave is a time machine, not a teleporter like Hououin-san(fun to pronounce by the way), and makes the banana turn into a green gel. Then do all subjects that time travel turn into a gel? Or is his time machine just imperfect. I'm thinking the latter because he has time traveled , too, although not intentionally or possibly even forcefully by someone.

I'm loving this, let's hope the answers will be just as amazing.
Apr 13, 2011 12:12 AM

May 2010
"He's a guy." lol
The end about gel banana just makes the show more interesting.
Apr 13, 2011 12:15 AM

Apr 2008
thyyg said:
way better than first episode!

Yep

Cause its a guy.

And because of the magically reattaching bananas that are torn apart at the molecular level.
Apr 13, 2011 12:51 AM

Sep 2008
Haha, I love when they just threw in a connection to Chaos;Head.
Tsunashi Takuto should just release his libido to find out what is happening.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2011 1:48 AM

May 2010
in b4 parallel worlds.

Bahahaha, ignoring the mindfuckery for a minute, this show is brilliant. It's so funny, the characters are great, Mayuri is adorable and whatshisname, Daru, is a hilarious troll-olol. It's a trap!

And then, you add in all the time travel and everything... fucking AMAZING. Okarin is amazing!

So glad I picked this up, going to be fun watching it every week not understanding a thing till the end, and the rewatching it with my friends and laughing at their confusion, haha.
Apr 13, 2011 2:16 AM
Jun 2010
Fai said:
Dareus said:
Kuro4735 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
john titor was looking for that pc in the year 1975.

and yuu kobayashi always voices trap characters? lol.

already posted in the first page of this thread :P

it was just a tl;dr for those lazy enought not to open the wiki page and look for the ibm reference :P
Apr 13, 2011 2:53 AM
Apr 13, 2011 2:57 AM

Apr 2009
The cutest g...Guy!?

god it's so wrong now wonder our mad scientist has such dilemma :)

maybe he ate one of those travelling back in time gel bananas :) or he was girl in different time line,such things happens when you mess too much with microwaves and mobile phones :)

Bes show of this season so far and i doubt it will change for me :)
Apr 13, 2011 3:36 AM

Dec 2009
Apr 13, 2011 3:40 AM
May 2010
This anime is basically like this.... boring and confusing like hell... watching a mad guy groaning about this "agency"...and then cliffhanger in the end. Well I expect a lot more from this anime, hope it picks up in the next episode.
Apr 13, 2011 3:48 AM

Apr 2009
jimmy2027 said:
This anime is basically like this.... boring and confusing like hell... watching a mad guy groaning about this "agency"...and then cliffhanger in the end. Well I expect a lot more from this anime, hope it picks up in the next episode.

confusing? it wasn't so confusing really but yea cliffhanger kills me want next ep now :)
Apr 13, 2011 3:52 AM

Jul 2010
jimmy2027 said:

it wouldn't hurt using your "brain" a little, it certainly is confusing but if you will not even try to think through things with what is shown you certainly wouldn't last, believe me.
and what the heck are you expecting from this? it's a sci-fi thriller (well as stated in the genre) and it's like you want a "dictionary-type" of storytelling where in everything will be explained to you in a jiffy.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 13, 2011 4:18 AM
Feb 2010
"Duturu~"

New Achievement unlocked - Searching up John Titor
Jokes aside, comments on the new ep of Mindfu- I mean Steins;Gate

My comments aside, this episode is truely very interesting....John Titor's theories about World Lines might be true since its almost like what Okarin is experiencing at the moment and the whole Banana incident at the end is really quite disturbing....

Also, that maid+neko cafe is so much win :DD

Overall Score: 10/10
Mindfuck level: 100/10
KoisolaApr 13, 2011 8:13 AM
| "In my time, the wowd is WUINED AND WIFEWESS!."

- Paradox (Yugioh: Bonds Beyond Time Abridged Movie) |

Apr 13, 2011 5:39 AM

Jun 2009
Hilariously mindfucked!

I love the eccentricity of characters blended with cuteness. I still feel like watching Takuto except without logic, less libido and full of craziness. "HOOOOUUUUIIIIIN" always gets me and I didn't notice that Seki Tomokazu was Daru. I never heard his voice like this before.
Apr 13, 2011 6:28 AM

Feb 2011
Ruka.. So cute.. BUT HE'S A GUY. xD

My curiosity about this anime just rose after this episode. And does a banana really turn into gel banana like that in RL, if you put it in the microvawe? o.O
Apr 13, 2011 6:57 AM

Jul 2009
Well, atleast he's not the only believer anymore.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 13, 2011 7:08 AM

Feb 2008
It is becoming more and more interesting.
Apr 13, 2011 7:15 AM

Jul 2007
jimmy2027 said:

Use. your. Brain.

99.9999% of what main character is saying is NOT real, its a form of constant LARP-ing. Thats how he copes with things.

herox3 said:
Yay, a cute shrine maiden
It's a trap! FFFFFFUUU

So the microwave is a time machine, not a teleporter like Hououin-san(fun to pronounce by the way), and makes the banana turn into a green gel. Then do all subjects that time travel turn into a gel? Or is his time machine just imperfect. I'm thinking the latter because he has time traveled , too, although not intentionally or possibly even forcefully by someone.

I'm loving this, let's hope the answers will be just as amazing.

its both in a sense.

Facts:
1. Time travel is impossible.
2. There are infinite variations of universe parallel to our one(from our POV)
3. If one changes past or travels to the past all he does is move between parallel universe.
4. In a sense one is disassembled at molecular level and shifted into another timeline

rodac said:

Although that wasn't a question of diverging universes due to a change, but rather the manipulation of a particular universe by a magical artifact (the Key). To my recollection Buffy did one double take when her sister showed up before falling into line in the new reality.

No. She came and asked on what the hell her sister is doing browsing through her (Buffy's) clothes. And yes that was universe manipulation but so is time travel. The only ones aware of that were viewers since we were outside of their universe, and the ones who did that

rodac said:

Interesting to note that if Okarin has memories of another timeline that means that the decision points create the divergent universes rather than an infinite number of parallel universe timelines existing from the moment that the universe began. (and we won't go into those lines where the universe didn't begin).

not necessarily. It just means that the one timeline we are in was almost entirely identical to the one he was in before. Of course it depends on theory and explanation used, but this show seems to suggest exactly that.
Apr 13, 2011 7:58 AM

Feb 2011
I Love it!!!!^^
Apr 13, 2011 8:37 AM

Jul 2009
Godly. 'nuff said.
Apr 13, 2011 8:51 AM

Jun 2009
I came 2 times during the episode.
Still kinda meh overally, i mean it's just got this 'meh' feeling about it and it won't go away. The episode was better than first one though, and enjoyable even,
But what they're doing with Kurisu's face is a blasphemy and they should die for it.(屮゚Д゚)屮
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 13, 2011 9:03 AM

Feb 2009
-Quasar said:
and I didn't notice that Seki Tomokazu was Daru. I never heard his voice like this before.
He already did it in Genshiken so I wasn't surprised. Still, his flexibility in his acting is awesome :)

Now this has definitely aroused my interest. I always love complicated things like parallel universes, time travels and all these things. Still unclear about certain facts but that's what makes it very interesting. Can't wait for the next episode.
I'll make it a point to rewatch the episodes before the next episode airs to retain and note important points.

Dat trap.
And dat Feyris.
And dat Mayushii.
*dies*
belatkuroApr 13, 2011 9:42 AM
Apr 13, 2011 9:06 AM

Aug 2010
Now this was too awesome! Even the score somehow telleported 'with different properties' to a 10 and I don't give a 10 to any show just because of that!
The episode was greatly put together, from the start with Makise being...'real'...to the freaking banana experiment. For some unknown reason, I even like 'Houoin's comedy style xD
So, let's recap: time travel + secret agencies + banana telleporter = awesomeness...
koleareApr 13, 2011 9:11 AM
Apr 13, 2011 9:13 AM

Apr 2008
for some reason, I feel that this anime is ... annoying!!
I don't really like anime that confuses you and make you think too much, when I watched this episode I was lost ... I will watch the 3rd episode and if I'm still lost I'll definitely drop this one >.> (I don't drop anything easily though)

idk guys, when I read your comments I feel like I'm slow :P
it looks like I'm the only one who hasn't understand a thing -.-
Apr 13, 2011 10:34 AM

Jul 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0oYfSBapYo
PREVIEW
for episode 3 is out ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 13, 2011 11:41 AM
Dec 2008
this anime is getting more and more interesting
if it keeps up like this, its going to be freaking awesome
and btw, it is possible to travel in time, but only to the future and not to the past

okabe's mad scientist play is starting to amuse me very much
coming to like his character lol
Apr 13, 2011 11:58 AM

Jul 2007
kaena said:

and btw, it is possible to travel in time, but only to the future and not to the past

THat is sort of disputed too.

If one uses one timeline, one universe theory, then what defines future? Isn't future also past of something? Wouldn't the traveller be unable to return to his time? Wouldn't arriving in future, change that future's future, of which the future is its past?

The only coherent time travel theory is either the one where universal order is made in such way that any try to change what happens will fail (does not fit with the show) or that it is actually infinity of different possible timelines and traveling to past just shifts into one of them, making both exist the same, allowing the avoidance of causality paradoxes..
Apr 13, 2011 1:36 PM

Mar 2010
I'm really loving this anime so far even only 2 episodes in. I'm even starting to wonder if there might be something to the whole "talking to himself on the phone" thing.
Apr 13, 2011 1:41 PM

May 2010
It seems time changed for Okarin far beyond than one day, nice ;)

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Apr 13, 2011 1:51 PM

Jun 2008
Mayuri nyan nyan ; u ;
Apr 13, 2011 2:35 PM

Dec 2008
Well, this just got really interesting.
Apr 13, 2011 3:22 PM

Apr 2009
Funky bananas, a convincing trap and more of "I remember this! Why don't you?".

Apr 13, 2011 4:26 PM

Mar 2011
I love when Fai is here, because it means that I don't have to answer to anything annoying personally, he'll also do it correctly.

Otherwise, one or two things still confuse me about how their time travel work.
90% are okay, and if i change my vision of the Many World Interpretation or of what the show wants to do, everything is.
But some things are really odd, i'm not satisfied.
Mainly the "sending something into another past=gel", "travelling to another present=perfectly okay" part. Fuh.
I need to watch ep1 again, the answer should be there.

Anyway, a funny thing from the opening. That's why I believed in the MWI back in ep1;
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/168042S00124.jpg
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/982454S00125.jpg
Hello, spoiler opening~
No, it's not like this because it's more beautiful this way.

And by the way, we probably have" two" "John Titor". I need two, at least, in order to fit with everything so far and in order to have a correct scenario.

On a side note, am I the only one who find Mayushii's "Tuturuuuu" REALLY cute?
Well, I'm into verbal tics anyway, so it's hardly surprising. But still. It reminds me of old JRPGs.
willardhwrightApr 13, 2011 4:43 PM
Apr 13, 2011 5:09 PM
Oct 2007
I'm not sure whether watching the first 2 episodes with my half eye closing is doing any justice to the series. The show is as real as the word confusing. The cliffhanger is not having enough suspense.

I had a strong feeling the next one will probably trigger the 'likeness' and bump the score up by at least 2 points.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2011 5:42 PM
Apr 2011
AriGatou said:

idk guys, when I read your comments I feel like I'm slow :P
it looks like I'm the only one who hasn't understand a thing -.-

You should not feel slow, I always liked shows about time travel and science in general, and thats probably the case with most people in this forum.So if its your first time watching an anime like this, dont feel bad for not comprehending everything in the first shot...we dont also at this point.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Apr 13, 2011 7:27 PM

Apr 2010
STEINS;GATE is getting crazier than ever..i mean..the mysteries just piled up..whoa..the gel-banana, the time traveler Titus, the email sent to the past, the red girl who is still alive and the cancelled conference..(ep. 2)
Apr 13, 2011 8:02 PM
Apr 2011
Fai said:
kaena said:

THat is sort of disputed too.

If one uses one timeline, one universe theory, then what defines future? Isn't future also past of something? Wouldn't the traveller be unable to return to his time? Wouldn't arriving in future, change that future's future, of which the future is its past?

The only coherent time travel theory is either the one where universal order is made in such way that any try to change what happens will fail (does not fit with the show) or that it is actually infinity of different possible timelines and traveling to past just shifts into one of them, making both exist the same, allowing the avoidance of causality paradoxes..

True. What we think as the future may be the past to another perspective, but lets presume a time machine was made now. In theory, you would only be able to travel to the future where a similar/exact machine is made...so basically you would enter at least one of the dimensions where the similar machine is made. There a lot of alternative futures but at least one with the machine. That future would be the past to another perspective but still would be the future relative to the time machine, and from the users perspective, it is still the future. I, myself, believe that there is only one timeline, and that whatever we try to do, cannot change the direction that reality is heading towards.
yogotahApr 13, 2011 8:08 PM
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Apr 13, 2011 8:20 PM

Jan 2010
I have no idea what's going on in this show but im loving it.
Apr 13, 2011 9:14 PM

Jul 2009
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 14, 2011 12:45 AM

Sep 2007
Was the microwave scene a separate timeline from the rest of the episode? The flow of the episode came to a complete swerve especially with the brief scene between the meido cafe and the microwave scenes.

Since the microwave is supposedly assumed to be a time machine now, what about the gel-bananas from the first episode? They simply stayed in the microwave with nary a movement if I so briefly recall. Would the microwave be a time machine in all the timelines? Or would it simply be another simple microwave in a few of them?

So far, so good. Seems way better than the clusterfuck that was the Chaos;Head anime.
Apr 14, 2011 2:30 AM

Aug 2008
Oh wow the miko is really a guy. Okabe is a lil crazy which was why I thought he was joking at first. D:
Apr 14, 2011 4:19 AM

Jan 2010
GOD DAMN TRAPS
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.