Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2011 7:43 PM
Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh god I liked the first OVA but this was just an intensely annoying adaptation. Pointless filler segments, increased melodrama, overall boredom.

Try this if you want to see some scenes from the manga animated but only after reading the manga.
busterbeamApr 9, 2011 7:50 PM
Sep 24, 2011 8:22 AM

Apr 2011
I thought the fight with the Demon Bird was actually quite badass and quite gory, tho the random dinosaur-like character out of nowhere was kinda meh. And then the gestalt demon dies after one attack and having Amon on the ropes. Honestly she did pretty well for herself considering she was up against the king of demons, but she was beat the fuck UP by the time they combined ... one arm ripped off and shoved through her stomach and one of her head-wings torn right off her skull. Of course Devilman was shredded as well, but apparently he can reattach his limbs pretty easily.

Kinda surprised his girlfriend survived this episode ... doubt she'll survive the next OVA, tho. Some nice ecchi scenes w her, she spent at least half of it naked.
Apr 5, 2013 3:25 AM

Mar 2009
I'm surprised, I really really really liked this movie. Great <3
Apr 7, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2008
busterbeam said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Oh god I liked the first OVA but this was just an intensely annoying adaptation. Pointless filler segments, increased melodrama, overall boredom.

Try this if you want to see some scenes from the manga animated but only after reading the manga.

I guess is good i didn't read the manga first because i really enjoyed this movie. The battle was quite awesome and that Shiren chick was scary, strong and kind of beautiful.
Personally i liked the whole dieing with a smile of victory melodrama.

It seems strange to me though how the demons seem to speak, love, think, even feel fear and stuff like humans. I thought they hated reason. They don't seem unreasonable crazy beings but simply beings who dislike humans.
So who is this Lord Xenon. King of demons? I wonder what the Amon guy was.

Btw not shy on showing nakedness, i wonder if they would have been as daring today.
Jul 24, 2013 3:56 AM

Apr 2013
Love this OVA and Amon almost got his ass kicked >.<
Oct 27, 2013 5:17 AM
Aug 2010
Monad said:
busterbeam said:

I guess is good i didn't read the manga first because i really enjoyed this movie. The battle was quite awesome and that Shiren chick was scary, strong and kind of beautiful.
Personally i liked the whole dieing with a smile of victory melodrama.

It seems strange to me though how the demons seem to speak, love, think, even feel fear and stuff like humans. I thought they hated reason. They don't seem unreasonable crazy beings but simply beings who dislike humans.
So who is this Lord Xenon. King of demons? I wonder what the Amon guy was.

Btw not shy on showing nakedness, i wonder if they would have been as daring today.

Read the manga. The humanity of demons and the demonic nature of humans are both huge themes.
Nov 7, 2015 5:32 PM

Dec 2009
A good follow-up to the first OVA that offers lots of action, good music and a more cohesive narrative that made sense for the most part.

It all still feels so disconnected though, and it would have been a lot more interesting if this battle with Siren was part of a bigger series. Some build-up towards Siren challenging Devilman would have given her eventual demise (which was surprisingly sad) more emotional weight, instead of simply showing up and starting to attack. Apparently she was romantically involved with Amon and she was in a semi romantic/friendzone relationship with Kaimu. These were all elements they could have worked with, but it all just goes by so quickly. Same with Akira that apparently knows all these creatures well, but you are never shown these past encounters because there's seemingly so much time passed between OVA 1 and 2. Perhaps these gaps are filled a bit in the manga, but as an OVA-only watcher for now there are some things left to be desired.

I also was quite taken aback by Siren as a character, as I was expecting her to simply act as a gruesome, aggressive demon that would act as a simple enemy for Devilman, but they gave her more depth and portrayed her as a being with feelings of fear, camaraderie and honor. Quite unusual, considering she's a demon and all.

The ending was abrupt, but it did the trick decently. Unfortunately Siren's worst case scenario upon uniting turned out true, and she suddenly passed away by her injuries, but right during the thrill of victory. Quite a bittersweet way to kill her off, and a lot more subtle than simply shredding her to bits like Devilman planned to.
Nuky93Nov 7, 2015 5:44 PM
Apr 28, 2016 3:41 PM

Jan 2016
omg i just finished rewatching it, what a masterpiece, what a great anime, and it shows you how much anime sucks these days, this is a work of art in comparison with what is being dumped on us latelly, fuck!
Feb 11, 2017 8:59 AM

Feb 2013
This was beautiful and brutal at the same time.
He had to kill his mother again, even though she was dead.
Ryou was alive after all.
And Sirene was a really tough enemy, she defeated him.
It was nice to see some cool oppai.
Feb 26, 2017 8:50 AM

Dec 2015
Horrific action counterpart to the earlier OAV. I guess it's a good sample of Devilman's action if grouped with it, with an intelligent ellipse between both "episodes" in order to show us interesting parts with Akira's personal implication, or demons true nature. Plus hinting at what I suppose is Ryô's role in all this.

6.5/10 Useless alone. And after the first OAV who did a good job (at promoting the manga), it seems useless to add an action piece to it.

Miki's family is super rich?! I first had a doubt when I saw the size of Akira's bedroom but after a while, they show a mansion!
Sep 2, 2017 7:45 AM

Nov 2014
I think this is a nice arc. Characters are portrayed just well to make you feel their intentions, and the music, may I be in some bias of 80's songs, is neatly placed throughout the scenes. I seriously need to read the second volume, but I am already happy with this alone.
Dec 4, 2017 1:31 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty good, I think this was on par if not a little better than the first OAV for the action. This was obviously catered for those familiar with the main series/manga; a little more context would have been nice for all the enemies.

Overall this was a pretty good series.
~
Mar 7, 2018 1:39 PM

Feb 2009
Noticeably stronger than first OVA. Direction is standing on it's two feet this time around, so it feels more coherent as a piece. I guess Iida had some positive experience from directing previous "episode" and grew as director. Plus action sequences are much more impressive. Not to mention music which is more memorable and don't surprise you with some strange kitsch superhero tunes any more. Too bad they had to call it quits after this one.
adiosMar 18, 2018 6:57 PM
Jun 13, 2019 5:03 PM

Feb 2012
lol Akira's interactions with Miki certainly changed

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.