Forum Settings
Forums

Resurrected Spotlight Character: Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)

New
How would you rate this character?
Apr 8, 2011 9:48 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)

MAL Character Information Page: Nausicaa

MAL Favorites: 368

Original Spotlight thread: Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION POLL

Nausicaa was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Character list:
27 Yes - 75.0%
9 No - 25.0%

12 Don't know this character - 20.3% of the total number polled
11 Abstained - 18.6% of the total number polled
santetjanApr 26, 2011 6:04 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 8, 2011 10:20 PM

May 2010
I've only seen her in the movie. Nothing but your typical peacemaker, so I am afraid I must vote "no"
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 9, 2011 7:34 AM

Sep 2009
I'd say something, but Santetjan pretty much nailed it in the original spotlight. Solid yes from me.
Apr 9, 2011 8:15 AM

Feb 2005
Confucius said:
I've only seen her in the movie. Nothing but your typical peacemaker, so I am afraid I must vote "no"
Don't vote only based on the movie. The manga is far superior in every aspect really.
santetjan said:
The thing that most strongly differentiates her from like characters is that she, at the same time, isn't portrayed as an anti-hero. She is a realist, but not a cynic, ruthless, but not devoid of morals or believing such standards to be utterly subjective and therefore not binding, exploiting but not exploitative. This makes her far more strongly a true character instead of a stock figure.
This is probably the best part of her imo. In these sort of stories you usually see the protagonists either being a champion of order (in this context, Nature) or chaos (Humanity), and usually being terribly naive no matter which sides they chose. Nausicaä on the other hand, seems much more balanced in her choice and don't share the typical shallow and naive motivation most of her kind have. The fact that she's portrayed as such a realist without devolving into either the naive or the cynic stereotype is another huge plus, it takes a lot to maintain that balance.
Apr 9, 2011 5:06 PM

Nov 2007
Please, if you've only seen the anime, consider reading some of the manga. Anime!Nausicaä is only a shadow of manga!Nausicaä.

Anyway, this is what I said in the recent spotlight for the manga:

yamakasi said:
The characters are realistic and have depth. Nausicaa is probably one of the best female characters in manga existence: she is strong, she is motivated, she is human, she actually acts on her convictions.

And here are two great points that Santetjan articulated better than I ever could (from the previous Nausicaä spotlight):

santetjan said:
Nausicaä, indeed, is a fairly typical strong-willed heroine; I might even use the dreaded 'independent' word, though this should be taken, within the context of the story, that she not only wants to change (parts of) the society she is a part of, but actually questions the entire form of human society as a whole.

Apart from the above, though, the clearest reason why Nausicaä to me is an outstanding character, at least in the manga, has to do with what sets her apart from the average well-played hero: at no point is an attempt made to have Nausicaä act and think like you and me would. Human she may be, and human expressions and feelings she may have, but she lives in a fantasy world and all her thoughts and actions in the end stem from the rules that living in this world brings with it.

Nausicaä deserves to be on the list and for that reason she's the first character I'm voting yes for with 100% certainty. (I would say she's the first character I'm voting yes for at all but I don't remember whether or not I've voted yes before.)
yamakasiApr 9, 2011 5:12 PM
Apr 13, 2011 3:08 PM

Jul 2010
Yes i like it
Apr 14, 2011 8:17 AM

Mar 2008
Baman said:
Don't vote only based on the movie. The manga is far superior in every aspect really.

I always hate it when people say this. It's disrespectful towards the movie and is completely unfair.
Apr 20, 2011 7:56 PM

Nov 2008
Confucius said:

Sadly, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.