Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What is your opinion on the Clannad English Dub?
Apr 5, 2011 11:24 AM

Sep 2010
Your opinion on the dub.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2011 11:26 AM
Dec 2009
Anything with English dub sucks.
Apr 5, 2011 11:37 AM

Jul 2009
It's a pretty lazy dub. Other than that, I thought it was okay.
Apr 5, 2011 11:42 AM
Feb 2010
Isn't there like, a whole Clannad sub-forum?

And that chick who liked making starfishes sounded so damned adorable.
Apr 5, 2011 11:43 AM

Feb 2010
Hatcha said:
It has a dub? Wait... Wut? Since when?

Yup. Since June 15th, 2010.

Not as good as Kanon '06 dub, but they pulled off the "why am I watching thiiiiiiiiis?! ;_;" feeling pretty well. Can't go wrong with Luci Christian and Shelley Calene-Black in the cast.
Apr 5, 2011 11:52 AM

Sep 2010
nerb said:
Isn't there like, a whole Clannad sub-forum?

And that chick who liked making starfishes sounded so damned adorable.

Fuuko. You mean the voice or the character, though?

I love her Japanese voice. English dubs are just meh..
Apr 5, 2011 1:01 PM

Aug 2009
It was ok but the Kanon 2006 one was better.
Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM

Oct 2009
Eh, I really don't like the dub much. It's watchable, but nothing compared to the original. Kyou sounds like a 40 year old and Sunohara sounds like a girl.
Apr 5, 2011 2:04 PM

Sep 2010
I thought it was pretty good cause when it comes to me physically owning a series I despise buying subbed-only boxsets/DVDs unless I really REALLY have to. I can't wait for After Story to come out this month I'm so buying it for my birthday although I hope it doesn't have the same abysmal packaging as the first season seriously there was no separators between the DVDs they just stacked them up on one another to get to disk 3 you have to take the other two out first to get to it.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 21, 2011 5:51 PM

Dec 2009
ARXLaevatein said:

My thoughts exactly.
Aug 21, 2011 7:12 PM

Sep 2010
Tomoya: well.......ehhhhh... . Miscast

Nagisa: Her voice is not as bad as people make it out to be. It just takes a little getting us to, although the English voice does kinda sound like a elementary school girl. But Overall, Luci Christian did a GOOD(not fantastic) job at the role.

ALSO

Duck voice(Princess Tutu)=Nagisa voice(sorta)

Kyou: Voice fits at first, but then it sounds too old for the character. At the same time, it fits. Miscast

Ryou: Voice fits, but doesn't fit. Miscast

Fuko: Voice fits, and a bit better than some people would think. Still doesn't fit though. She did a OKAY job. Hilary Hagg is much better in other roles.

Kotomi: Voice fits character perfectly and personality wise too. EXCELLENT JOB, EMILY NEVES. One of the only better parts of the dub. Also Kanade.XD

Tomoyo: Voice is AWESOME.*_*. Overall Perfomance was AWESOME. EXCELLENT JOB, KAYTHA COKER. Another one of the only better parts of the dub. She needs more roles.

Sunohara: Fit, but still did not fit. He does not sound like a girl. More like a pre-pubescent boy. Greg Aryes is by no means a bad VA though. Miscast(a little)

Sanae- Voice fits sooooooooooo well. Yet the acting was meh.

Akio-Actually fits quite well. And works well too. Just a little monotonous. Still it was good.

Misae-I actually think her voice was quite good. Fit the character. Very few lines so can't really say about acting(although i'm sure it was good). Elizabeth Bunch needs more roles.

Naoyuki Okazaki-Very few lines, but another one of the better parts of the dub.Chris Hutchison needs more roles.

Kouko Ibuki- Another one of the better parts of the dub.Stephanie Wittels needs more roles.

Yukine Miyazawa- Her voice is sooooooooooooooooo relaxing. This works SO well with the character. EXCELLENT JOB, MAGGIE FLECKNOE. I hope you get more roles in the future.

Mei Sunohara-Fits yet doesn't fit. Not a bad VA though(i think).Miscast

Yusuke Yoshino- Its an interesting voice.Illich Guardiola has what is called interesting enunciation. Everything he says is interesting yet slightly monotonous at the same time. Actually not miscast.

Garbage Doll-Dullish voice filled with emotion.Cool. GOOD JOB,EMERICK SHANNON.

Girl From The Illusionary World-Monotonous filled with emotion. A Oxymoron if ever there was one. But she is VERY GOOD. Mellisa Davis, YOU ARE GOOD. One of the only better parts of the dub. Also Shiina.

Toshio Koumura- Another one of the better performances despite having few lines.

Otherwise.

Name Mispronounciation big time.
Aug 21, 2011 7:20 PM

Mar 2011
'Twas okay. Some voices fit quite nicely while others were.... meh. But it could have been worse!
Sep 3, 2011 10:12 PM

Jul 2011
It was fine. Though they seem a little older then they should but aside from that everyone's voice fits. The dub accentuated every individual's personality, undubbed they just sound like random japanese girls.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Sep 8, 2011 1:06 PM

Jul 2011
I thought it all fit I like both Dubbed and Subbed though

Changed my sig without knowing bbcode was down. Wahhh D:
Sep 11, 2011 1:03 PM

Sep 2011
There was a dub ? Nevermind, i wouldnt watch anyway.
- we started to walk up... the long... long... uphill climb...

- Believe in yourself. Don't believe in the me that believes in you or the you that believes in me, believe in the you that believes in you.

Oct 21, 2011 10:58 PM

Oct 2011
I thought it was very well done. Sometimes Kyou seemed like too old a voice, and they probably should have gotten an actual kid to do the VA on young Tomoya in the flashback scenes in the Kotomi story? It was really odd hearing the older actors voice coming from a 6 or 7 year old kid.

Tomoyo? Just awesome. I just finished rewatching the Another World chapter with her and it was just so good and a lot of that had to do with her VA.

If there hadn't been an english dubbed version I might never have watched this show at all so I'm really grateful there was one and that it was done pretty well all things considered.
<a href="">;;RykOakwine.png</a>
Oct 26, 2011 8:40 AM

Aug 2011
Mon_Diamond said:
ARXLaevatein said:

My thoughts exactly.

Impossible to please.
QysteiN said:

HURRRRR

If you didn't like the dub for this, you're probably just retarded. I'd be amused to see what you thought DID have a good English dub.
Oct 31, 2011 8:09 AM
Dec 2009
Oh, they had a dub? I didn't know. I think I like it better when it's Japanese though, no offense.
Nov 29, 2011 3:45 AM
Nov 2011
Guess this would be my first post here. I just finished watching both dubbed versions on Netflix. I'm hardly a critic, but as my first exposure to this series it definitely got me hooked on the show. I know a lot of my Anime friends swear by the subtitled versions, I'm not quite to that level yet, as I've only in the last year or so started watching a lot of Anime. However, I can say that if I could find the subbed version somewhere on Netflix or elsewhere to watch that I would probably enjoy it just as much. I know a lot of translations can get lost when they do a dubbed version, not to mention that the original emotional attachment to particular passages of dialog might not come across quite the same. Nevertheless I rather enjoyed this one. Am starting to watch it a second time.
VeretaxNov 29, 2011 3:57 AM
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Sep 2, 2012 10:33 PM
Dec 2011
I'm sorry but...this dub is one of the worst I've heard. The voice acting either sounds boring or just plan bad (sometimes both). But my main issue with it is how they said Nagisa's name. I don't expect dubs to have perfect pronunciation, but every time I heard "Nageesa" I cringed. :/
Sep 30, 2012 11:12 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
It was pretty good. I heard the sub and dub and the dub did better oddly. I rarely say that.
Oct 10, 2012 3:52 AM
May 2012
Clannad actually has a very good dub. I don't get why so many people dislike it. The best voices to me were Tomoya, Ushio, Nagisa, Tomoyo, Akio and Sanae. The mediums were Kyou, Mei, Ryou, Yoshino, Kouko, Yukine and Misae. The worst ones were Sunohara and Fuko. Good god. Why did Greg Ayres have to voice Sunohara?? Just why? -.- In the original Japanese dub, Sunohara actually sounded like a 17 year old. Here he sounds like a fricking 10 year old. Just no. Those two were the only major issues. Other than that, Clannad had a good voice cast.
Nov 27, 2012 4:42 AM

Feb 2012
I like most dubs but this one was waay off Tomoya sounded like a man in his mid forties and the pronounciations were waaay off.
Dec 9, 2012 2:18 AM

May 2011
i actually went straight to dub cause i was lazy back then -.-

i'm gonna watch it in subs now, i mean just done kyou's arc on the VN and the voices sound really good :)
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"
Feb 11, 2013 2:13 PM
Feb 2013
I like the dub very much .. especially at sad moments.. there's much feeling in it
Feb 11, 2013 2:14 PM
Jul 2012
Lol!!!!!!

part time voice actors
Feb 11, 2013 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
I hate it -__-' Especially Kyou's voice. The voice actors are amazing but I don't like the dub for Clannad.
Feb 19, 2013 7:47 AM

Sep 2011
I tried to watch a random episode on English dub and... it's kinda bad.

Didn't like it.

Feb 19, 2013 7:50 AM

Jan 2013
1. The voices in the Clannad english dub are horrendous. Especially Sunohara(sp). Talk about taking a class clown character and turning him into a 12 year old.

2. The actual recording equipment they used must have been dixie cups. The audio quality is terrible.

That said Tomoya's english voice is actually pretty good, or at least I thought so.
Feb 19, 2013 8:03 AM

Sep 2011
Generally it was bad in my opinion. Some voices were tolerable some were annoying but all in all if you have a choice go with original.
Feb 19, 2013 8:05 AM

Jan 2013
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a weaboo or anything, I prefer english dubs when i can find them.

I even liked the Rosario + Vampire dub, but the Clannad dub is horrendously bad. I feel like the only people who would defend it are people who just can't bare to read subtitles.
Apr 11, 2013 12:21 AM

Feb 2013
I thought the voice acting was good, not great but not bad. Although this maybe because I watched it in dub 1st i don't think any voices were unbearable or bad. I can understand why the sub watchers dislike it after playing the visual novels and watching some sub. The sub has a drastically different sounding voices to characters like sunohara, kyou, and tomoya .

The reason why most the sub watchers disliked it is because it prob felt like they had to detach their emotion to what they perceived the characters they love sounded like and hear the polar opposite in English. but i believe overall good dub; tomoya's eng va wasnt great but solid because tomoya was pretty much an "i don't give a f*ck" character through most of the show.
Apr 12, 2013 4:28 PM

Jan 2012
I watch most anime in Japanese with subtitles but I think that the English dub of Clannad is a billion times better than the original Japanese, all except for Sunohara.

The Japanese voices were just too high pitched for me, Fuko's especially which was like nails down a chalkboard. Plus I hated how she always referred to herself in the 3rd person..
Nagisa's dub voice was also far less annoying than the Japanese. Tomoya in Japanese just sounded emotionless.

I think it just comes down to personal preference, I watched Clannad the first time round in Japanese and really didn't like it, but rewatched in English because I realised a lot of my problems with it were to do with the voice acting. I liked it much better but still had some issues with the story.
Now going on to After Story, with English dub.
May 6, 2013 11:16 PM

Nov 2012
I have only seen it on dub, it will remain the only series I will ever watch dub again.

Voice ratings by characters:

Tomoya- 8.75/10
Nagisa- 8.75/10
Sunohara- 8/10
Tomoyo- 10/10
Kyou- 9/10
Ryou- 6.5/10
Kotomi- 8/10
Akio- 10/10
Senai- 8/10
Fuko- 7.5/10
Yoshino- 9.5/10
Ibuki- 7.5/10
Yukine- 7/10
Nayuki(Tomoya's father) 9/10
Misai-10/10
Mei-6/10

and all the minor characters I give a 7/10

Clannad did a very good job, almost all the major character's voices were good and but quite a few minor character's voices were bad,like Rie(choir girl) and that guy with glasses that thought Yoshino damaged his car lol. But some minor character's had excellent voices like Sugizaka (the red head girl that is friends with Rie in choir)

Over all, while has its flaws its enjoyable
May 18, 2013 6:43 PM

May 2013
The dubs not bad considering i'm not a fan of them :p
Still subs for me.
Jun 6, 2013 10:52 PM

Mar 2013
The dub is just barely watchable.
Jun 10, 2013 2:37 AM
Jun 2013
Ousto said:
Eh, I really don't like the dub much. It's watchable, but nothing compared to the original. Kyou sounds like a 40 year old and Sunohara sounds like a girl.
Yeah didn't get that either the whole thing where she sounded really old kinda made me mad thinking they could do much better.
Jun 11, 2013 12:26 AM

Apr 2012
Kaaii said:
I'm sorry but...this dub is one of the worst I've heard. The voice acting either sounds boring or just plan bad (sometimes both). But my main issue with it is how they said Nagisa's name. I don't expect dubs to have perfect pronunciation, but every time I heard "Nageesa" I cringed. :/
I can understand if you've seen the Japanese version first and don't like the fact that the English speakers are saying the Japanese name in a way that fits the language they're speaking, but is it really that big of a deal?

I mean, when you say Tomoya's name, do you say "to-mo-ya" (with the final "ya" like the first part of "yacht") or do you say "ta (first part of 'tough')-moi-ya (like "yeah", almost). I'm sure you say it the second way as most people do, which is wrong given the Japanese pronunctiation.

It's a bit of double standard if you ask me. Besides, it'd sound weird, if not downright stupid, if an English speaker kept trying to say it in perfect Japanese. When you go to Taco Bell, I'm sure you don't roll your r's when order a burrito, taco, etc.
chinesekitten said:
I like the dub very much .. especially at sad moments.. there's much feeling in it
Exactly!

Anyone who's seen the series, try watching it at some of the sadder moments and see how they compare. Specifically, watch the scene where

Jun 13, 2013 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
Jamjars_the_3rd said:
I watch most anime in Japanese with subtitles but I think that the English dub of Clannad is a billion times better than the original Japanese, all except for Sunohara.

The Japanese voices were just too high pitched for me, Fuko's especially which was like nails down a chalkboard. Plus I hated how she always referred to herself in the 3rd person..
Nagisa's dub voice was also far less annoying than the Japanese. Tomoya in Japanese just sounded emotionless.

I think it just comes down to personal preference, I watched Clannad the first time round in Japanese and really didn't like it, but rewatched in English because I realised a lot of my problems with it were to do with the voice acting. I liked it much better but still had some issues with the story.
Now going on to After Story, with English dub.

Really? I thought that Tomoya's English VA was the one that sounds emotionless, Kyou sounds like a 40 year old woman, Youhei sounds like crap, Fuko's Eng VA was meh....but my biggest pet peeve was HOW THEY COULDN'T PRONOUNCE THE NAMES RIGHT! I prefer the original, this dub is a great example of a bad one.
Jun 14, 2013 11:42 AM

Aug 2012
(Everything I post is about the first season. I have yet to watch After Story).

I didn't like it.

The English version of Clannad is one example of Sentai Filmworks's "lazy" localization, although not to the extreme like some of their other releases. From untranslated honorifics (see the exchanges between Tomoya and Kotomi) to last-name basis (see the exchanges between Tomoya and Nagisa in the first half) to inconsistent pronunciation, this dub does have its translation problems. Although they did make some attempt to write some proper English script, I still feel as though they just stuck with some amateur fan-translated version without giving it much thought, and this was the dub's biggest downfall.

The other huge flaw was the audio quality of the voices.
Solvite said:
The actual recording equipment they used must have been dixie cups. The audio quality is terrible.

The performances, in general, were very good. However, their performances alone weren't enough to make up for the two flaws mentioned above. The first flaw is especially bad considering Sentai Filmworks never learned from this. The English version of Clannad doesn't do Sentai much justice; it makes me think that they're lazy and do just the bare minimum to push a product out.

Final verdict: 4/10 -- Below Average. Good when it counts, but lazy when nothing important is happening in the story. Bad audio quality.
gamer2710Jun 14, 2013 11:48 AM
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 19, 2013 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
I'm watching it with the English Dub and I think that it sounds great.
Jul 31, 2013 1:13 AM
Jan 2012
I watched all of it in english first. IT WAS AWESOME!!! One of my favourites by far. I just tried watching the first episode in subbed and after 5 min....T_T......I guess it depends on what you started with...
Aug 2, 2013 10:44 AM

Apr 2013
Well i started watching clannad english dub already so i can say that it's nice.. but tomoya's voice lacks energy.. nagisa's voice was cute it was tenma's voice after all. tenma of school rumble!
Watch the latest anime here: http://aniverse2.blogspot.com/
Aug 12, 2013 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
Nagisa was great. Everyone else though were hit or miss.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 12, 2013 12:01 PM

Jul 2013
Other than tomoya and kyou sounding WAY too old for their ages, I say it was a pretty good dub.
Aug 12, 2013 8:01 PM

Aug 2013
Lindail said:

not all dubs suck. sure things like higurashi, the worst dub ever, were horrible. But anime like FMA and Clannad were really good in the dubs, with all the voices fitting the characters in my opinion.

I loved this dub though. I thought that Sentai film works did a good job with it.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Aug 12, 2013 8:05 PM

Dec 2011
Love the dub, great casting especially Tomoya.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Aug 14, 2013 2:02 AM

Jun 2013
I liked it. I really liked Tomoya's voice. Although some of the girls voices were a bit annoying- nonetheless they were still great voice actors.
Aug 14, 2013 2:24 AM

May 2013
I think it's superior to the subbed.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 15, 2013 9:55 PM

Jan 2013
I loved Tomoya's, Nagisa's, and Ushio's voice. Everybody else (besides Sunohara whose voice can get annoying) was pretty good.

That being said I voted "excellent." Plus I got a lot more feels when watching the dubbed over subbed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.