Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 4, 2011 7:02 PM

Aug 2007
Onibokusu said:
1. Anime haven't been 'Americanized' in any fashion since the early 90s.

Afro Samurai. Need I say more?

Americanised heavily (set in the edo period) and as far as I have seen, only available in dubbed form. Came out in 2007, while the film in 2009.
Team Leader & Manager of ray=out.
A non-profit independent Japanese and Chinese anime/manga translation and subtitle provider.
http://rayout.org/ - Browse through our site to get to know us better.
Apr 4, 2011 7:04 PM

Jul 2009
alexcampos said:
I'm still waiting for this Headline:

FUNIMATION BANKRUPT!!!!, Leaves the Anime industry!

alexcampos said:

Sure I do....It's called TORRENTS and streaming sites...they also put DUBS you know...

OH NOES....Anime will cease to exist because of me...

I dont get you, if you download ALL your anime titles regardless if its licensed by funi or any R1 company(not like you care for copyright laws), why would you care if they are in business or not? its not like it would change anything for YOU if they went out of business, you would still dl anime and what not.

It would affect us thou, we would have to resorting to dl anime or importing our anime goods. sry pal but i dont wanna lower myself to your standards
Apr 4, 2011 7:07 PM

Jul 2009
alchemist11 said:
Onibokusu said:

Americanised heavily (set in the edo period) and as far as I have seen, only available in dubbed form. Came out in 2007, while the film in 2009.

That series doesn't have a Japanese audio track available. If anything, that series was made with Western themes in mind.
Apr 4, 2011 7:07 PM
Nov 2008
alchemist11 said:
Onibokusu said:

Afro Samurai was heavily influenced by American culture, and was produced by Americans. Need I say more?

Well, yes I evidently do. By 'produced', I mean almost the entirety of Afro Samurai is American (hence the lack of a Japanese audio track, since there never was one). The only Japanese parts of Afro Samurai are the setting, where the source material was created, and the animation studio.
no-thanksApr 4, 2011 7:12 PM
Apr 4, 2011 7:08 PM

Jun 2008
alexcampos said:
Redfoxoffire said:
And the subtitle: Sorry, non-Japanese anime fans, as a result of the largest distributor going bankrupt you will likely never see anime released in your region again.

And that's just the beginning.

seeing as I've NEVER bought a single anime DVD....I could care less...

Because you're the only person that matters. Do you not realize the adverse effects such a situation would actually have on anime in general?

alchemist11 said:
Onibokusu said:

Seeing as it's only in English, as you pointed out, does that even count as Americanized? Americanization occurs when a licensing company makes edits to the actual content, but since Afro Samurai was clearly intended to be the way it is, that doesn't really fit the bill. In the past ten years, 4Kids is really the only company that's done Americanization that I know if, and that's just, you know, for kids.
Apr 4, 2011 7:16 PM

Dec 2008
alexcampos said:
DrRoboto said:
Well then, you're one of the faggots killing the anime industry. I may not buy much (shit's EXPENSIVE), but I make an effort to support what I love. When I see assholes like you proudly exclaiming their arrogant, slovenly practices, I'm surprised there are any companies willing to stick their necks out in this stagnant industry.

OH NOES....Anime will cease to exist because of me...

Why don't you preach that message to people who download tens of thousands of songs, movies, TV shows, games, and programs.

I'm sure the MUSIC INDUSTRY should've died LONG TIME AGO, seeing as no one buys CDs anymore.

The MOVIE INDUSTRY should've also died long time ago, seeing as everyone downloads movies and DVD sales have plummeted.

The music and movie industry you're referring to is almost exclusively in America. Here, there are plenty of other sources of revenue to support their respective artists. People still go to movie theaters and concerts in droves; movies and music are part of our culture. There will always be someone willing to pay to keep them around.

Now, this is the case for anime in Japan. Not in the US. I actually want to own the anime I love, so it pisses me off when I see faggots like you shoving your retroactive faggotry in my face.
Apr 4, 2011 7:16 PM

Jun 2008
Badhiro said:
I dont get you, if you download ALL your anime titles regardless if its licensed by funi or any R1 company(not like you care for copyright laws), why would you care if they are in business or not? its not like it would change anything for YOU if they went out of business, you would still dl anime and what not.

I'm proud to be one of the few people who can honestly say I get all my anime for FREE and no I don't care about supporting the industry, nor do I care if Funimation or any other American company with their MILLIONS OF DOLLARS goes out of business.

If Funimation one day goes bankrupt, it would make a lot of things more "Convenient" for someone like me....that's all I can say.
Apr 4, 2011 7:18 PM

Aug 2007
Redfoxoffire said:
Seeing as it's only in English, as you pointed out, does that even count as Americanized? Americanization occurs when a licensing company makes edits to the actual content, but since Afro Samurai was clearly intended to be the way it is, that doesn't really fit the bill.

Okay, that wasn't the greatest of examples. But of the animes I've seen (or attempted) that Funimation licensed, that was the most blatant. Other's that I've seen would be Samurai Champloo and Shaman King.

Also, when I say Americanisation, I don't mean just terms, spelling or grammar, but incorrect translation to suit the American audience. Such as using "bastard" for teme. Teme is means "you" but with an exclamation. And so forth. I haven't seen European English subs use bastard for teme.
alchemist11Apr 4, 2011 7:22 PM
Team Leader & Manager of ray=out.
A non-profit independent Japanese and Chinese anime/manga translation and subtitle provider.
http://rayout.org/ - Browse through our site to get to know us better.
Apr 4, 2011 7:19 PM

Jun 2008
alexcampos said:
Badhiro said:

I'm proud to be one of the few people who can honestly say I get all my anime for FREE and no I don't care about supporting the industry, nor do I care if Funimation or any other American company with their MILLIONS OF DOLLARS goes out of business.

If Funimation one day goes bankrupt, it would make a lot of things more "Convenient" for someone like me....that's all I can say.

How the hell can you even call yourself an anime fan with that kind of attitude? You're proud to contribute to the theoretical downfall of anime? You shame the anime fanbase.
Apr 4, 2011 7:23 PM

Jun 2010
alchemist11 said:
Onibokusu said:

The show is a purposely mix of eastern and western cultures, and actually afro samurai could be argued of not being an anime.

Obvious americanized anime is stuff like shin chan, pokemon, cardcaptor sakura, dbz, and one piece (4kids). Resent dubbed stuff like the eva movies, H.OT.D., dbz kai, black butler, summer wars, needless, and phantom requiem of the phantom have not been "americanized", some people need to get their "facts" straightened out, before making claims.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Apr 4, 2011 7:24 PM

Jun 2010
From what I read, things will continue as they are but soon things will change at the new Funimation
Apr 4, 2011 7:26 PM

Jun 2009
alexcampos said:

un-fucking-believable

you dare call yourself an anime fan while saying such garbage? do you really think downloading anime is WAY better than physically owning the anime in dvd form? no wonder people like you are looked down upon.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Apr 4, 2011 7:27 PM

Oct 2007
diezle said:
well as a true anime lover i would like to say a few things...

1) what?
2) if you really want to improve sales, get better voice actors. Japanese seiyu's really put funimation to shame

Yes, because hearing an adult Goku talking like a little kid, is so much better than hearing him sounding like an adult.

Funi has a damn good cast of voice actors. Just watch the FMA dub.
Apr 4, 2011 7:27 PM
Nov 2008
alchemist11 said:
Other's that I've seen would be Samurai Champloo and Shaman King.

Samurai Champloo is almost exactly the same as Afro Samurai, being heavily influenced by American culture. It was like that in the original anime as well, what with the rapping and the slang.

Shaman King was adapted by 4kids.

Also, when I say Americanisation, I don't mean just terms, spelling or grammar, but incorrect translation to suit the American audience. Such as using "bastard" for teme. Teme is means "you" but with an exclamation. And so forth. I haven't seen European English subs use bastard for teme.

Teme, when used in a context where it can be replaced with 'bastard', is an expletive. It's perfectly viable, and not really 'Americanisation'.
Apr 4, 2011 7:28 PM

Mar 2009
alexcampos said:
Badhiro said:

......you're an idiot. Go troll somewhere else.
On topic, so this means that Funimation is independent right? So what exactl does that mean for them?
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>
Apr 4, 2011 7:30 PM

Dec 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
alexcampos said:

How the hell can you even call yourself an anime fan with that kind of attitude? You're proud to contribute to the theoretical downfall of anime? You shame the anime fanbase.

Lordcrab86 said:
alexcampos said:

un-fucking-believable

you dare call yourself an anime fan while saying such garbage? do you really think downloading anime is WAY better than physically owning the anime in dvd form? no wonder people like you are looked down upon.

Apr 4, 2011 7:31 PM
Nov 2008
Altair718 said:

......you're an idiot. Go troll somewhere else.
On topic, so this means that Funimation is independent right? So what exactl does that mean for them?

It means FUNi doesn't have a parent company they have to go through. Their decisions are their decisions.
Apr 4, 2011 7:32 PM

Jun 2010
alchemist11 said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Seeing as it's only in English, as you pointed out, does that even count as Americanized? Americanization occurs when a licensing company makes edits to the actual content, but since Afro Samurai was clearly intended to be the way it is, that doesn't really fit the bill.

Okay, that wasn't the greatest of examples. But of the animes I've seen (or attempted) that Funimation licensed, that was the most blatant. Other's that I've seen would be Samurai Champloo and Shaman King.

Samurai champloo isn't really americanized, other than it's available in english dubbed.

alchemist11 said:

isn't that just nit picking?
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Apr 4, 2011 7:32 PM

Jul 2009
alchemist11 said:
Redfoxoffire said:

That sort of logic leads to complete and total transliteration. Which is a horrible way to translate anything, because that makes things hard to read. Anything hard to read leads to breaks in reading concentration. And that's not the way to go about translating anything, since the goal of any competent translator is to translate in a way that results in a completely smooth end result. The very literal way of translating teme leads to more problems than using bastard!
Apr 4, 2011 7:39 PM
Feb 2011
Pfft, buy your own company. That's what they did. The financial ppl changed, that's about it. At least it's running by good hands. :)
plmethvinApr 4, 2011 8:00 PM
Apr 4, 2011 7:46 PM

Jun 2008
Redfoxoffire said:

The same way I can call myself a Music lover and never buy a CD...

Lordcrab86 said:
un-fucking-believable

Yeah, I do dare call myself an anime fan...

...and so do Millions of other fans who watch anime and never buy dvds

Get over it, I'm not required to buy shit.
Apr 4, 2011 7:50 PM
Nov 2008
alexcampos said:

The only way that figure would be in the millions would be if you included those who solely watched streamed and/or televised anime.
Apr 4, 2011 7:51 PM

Jul 2009
alexcampos said:

well then, i guess I'm glad there are few people like you and I hope you will continue to be "inconvenienced" for a very long time you prick.

Nov 2009
So, Gen Fukunaga sold FUNimation in an all cash transaction to himself....huh.

Makes sense if you don't think about it. Too bad I already tried thinking about it.

Jun 2010
alexcampos said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Lordcrab86 said:
un-fucking-believable

No ones asking you to buy the stuff, but also no one's asking you to act like an asshole about it either.
Apr 4, 2011 7:54 PM

Jun 2008
alexcampos said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Lordcrab86 said:
un-fucking-believable

Others do it, so that makes it okay, right?

Quit your self-justification. It would be one thing to be a pirate but not be proud of it and only doing it because you really can't afford anime. Even I only really buy my favorites because money just doesn't come easily to me. But the attitude you're taking is unbelievably asinine. You and everyone else like you are a disgrace to the anime fanbase.
Apr 4, 2011 7:59 PM

Jun 2008
Badhiro said:
well then, i guess I'm glad there are few people like you and I hope you will continue to be "inconvenienced" for a very long time you prick.

No, you got it wrong, I never said there were few people who do what I do....

I said there are few people who can SAY the things I say, too bad everyone has to be a MORALFAG and "PRETEND" they play by the rules.
Apr 4, 2011 8:03 PM

Jul 2009
alexcampos said:
Badhiro said:

I said there are few people who can SAY the things I say, too bad everyone has to be a MORALFAG and "PRETEND" they play by the rules.

oh no, i got what you meant and im glad there are few ppl like you who take pride in it.
suprhiroApr 4, 2011 8:13 PM
Apr 4, 2011 8:04 PM

Jun 2009
alexcampos said:

no one is making you buy anything! not everyone is required to buy anything all the time no matter what it is you admire . for as much as i love anime, i hardly buy anime because i'm broke, but even then with the money i do get, i don't go out of my way to buy anime, because i know when i want to get what i want.

good lord, what drugs did you're mom take when she was pregnant with you?!

Apr 4, 2011 8:19 PM

Dec 2008
alexcampos said:

I hate you so much.
Apr 4, 2011 8:24 PM

Mar 2009
DrRoboto said:
alexcampos said:

I hate you so much.

That's one epic rage face.
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>
Apr 4, 2011 8:30 PM
Apr 2010
I hope they'll become nicer to non-American anime fans. The only thing we see about them is rampaging against fansubs and "GTFO" message on their site.
Apr 4, 2011 8:32 PM

Jun 2010
alexcampos said:
Badhiro said:

At least they're better to talk to than assholes like you apparently.
Apr 4, 2011 8:46 PM
Dec 2007
Geolga9 said:
So, Gen Fukunaga sold FUNimation in an all cash transaction to himself....huh.

Makes sense if you don't think about it. Too bad I already tried thinking about it.
Think harder. Funimation was founded by Fukunaga but it was owned by Navarro. Navarro sold Funimation to Fukunaga and it's executives which basically means they are a free company again who doesn't have to answer to a parent company.

If I'm to compare this situation to another similar transaction it resembles Viacom's sale of Harmonix which also turned Harmonix back into an independent studio.

Apr 4, 2011 8:50 PM
Aug 2010
*reads last two pages of comment*

Good job Alex, successful troll is successful.

@everyone, you guys are way too easy, his comments are easy troll baits, and yet all of you kept going thus giving Alex an easy win.
Apr 4, 2011 8:50 PM
Apr 2011
Gatack said:
I hope they'll become nicer to non-American anime fans. The only thing we see about them is rampaging against fansubs and "GTFO" message on their site.

Well things aren't likely to change much for non americans. Licensing issues have not gotten any less complex and that's the main obstacle to getting anime released in other regions. When Funi aquires a license, that only applies to the NA market. If you're living in another region, probably the best thing to do is startup your own corp to license and distribute material in your area. Once you can prove there's a market for it, you can get investors to help you out.
Apr 4, 2011 8:51 PM

Apr 2011
So basically FUNimation bought FUNimation? Sokayz then.. xD
Apr 4, 2011 8:54 PM

Jun 2009
ichigo03 said:

@everyone, you guys are way too easy, his comments are easy troll baits, and yet all of you kept going thus giving Alex an easy win.

troll or not, i just love pwning retards :D

Apr 4, 2011 9:05 PM

Jun 2008
ichigo03 said:

I am pretty certain this one was not a troll. I've seen trolls, and I've seen him, and this appears to be him.
Apr 4, 2011 9:21 PM

Feb 2010
I was like: "O_O...and they even licensed a lot of anime(s) last season."

then: "Oh...good Lord...it's just that?? :/"
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 4, 2011 9:23 PM

Jun 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
ichigo03 said:

I am pretty certain this one was not a troll. I've seen trolls, and I've seen him, and this appears to be him.

Very true my good friend...I am no troll...

My comments are honest opinions, too bad if you can't agree with them.

You can always choose to ignore them and move along. My objective is not to cause rage, rather DISCUSSION.....once again, too bad people are too easily offended and can't accept other view points.
Apr 4, 2011 9:35 PM

Jun 2009
alexcampos said:

You can always choose to ignore them and move along. My objective is not to cause rage, rather DISCUSSION.....once again, too bad people are too easily offended and can't accept other view points.

you may not be a troll, but nonetheless, you are still a complete idiot.

the reason we're all disagrreing with EVERYTHING you said is not because of how ignorant and asanine your comments are, but how unforgivably dreadful your attitude. you said you don't care about anime distribution companies and only care about torrents and you have the nerve to call yourself an anime fan. plus, how can you call what you've said something for "discussion" (and i use that term loosely) when you keep coming off as an arogant asshole.

look, wether the anime industry does fall apart or not is something we're just gonna have to see for ourselves; time can't tell unless we see what happens. while the economy may be poor at the moment, at least companies like funimation are still going strong putting out anime we want to legally own, watch, and keep for ourselves.

please do all us a favor, stop your bitching and take it else where, your not doing anyone a favor for anything, you're just acting like a total twat as far as i'm concern.

Apr 4, 2011 9:36 PM

Jul 2009
alexcampos said:
Redfoxoffire said:
ichigo03 said:

Calling for the death of a company is pretty extreme discussion, Alex.
Apr 4, 2011 9:43 PM
Aug 2010
alexcampos said:
Redfoxoffire said:
ichigo03 said:

Well regardless, I love seeing how people were so easily butthurt because of what you said.

I mean, I won't say that I'm proud of downloading anime, I do it because I can't afford to buy the DVDs, but at the same time I've never bought a single anime DVD in my life, it would be Hypocritical for me to start calling you names.
Apr 4, 2011 9:50 PM

Sep 2010
Lordcrab86 said:
alexcampos said:

un-fucking-believable

+1 for you Crab

Seriously I'm poor, but I at least make an attempt to buy at least a few boxsets and a couple manga volumes a year. You do know you can watch free anime legally with ad-support right?? No one is forcing you to pay.

Wither this guy is a troll or not its still pretty pathetic for he/she to leech without at least buying one little thing to support the industry and their favorite series. Yes I do download anime every once in a blue moon to use for AMV material, but I buy my stuff when I get the money.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 4, 2011 9:53 PM

Oct 2009
Lordcrab86 said:
alexcampos said:

un-fucking-believable

Unfortunately, I'll admit I stream anime a lot and usually never buy the DVD sets but at least I don't have that attitude.

And if FUNi went bankrupt anyway, Anime would cease to exist in America.

Apr 4, 2011 10:19 PM
Nov 2008
ichigo03 said:

I mean, I won't say that I'm proud of downloading anime, I do it because I can't afford to buy the DVDs, but at the same time I've never bought a single anime DVD in my life, it would be Hypocritical for me to start calling you names.

Unless you pay bills, 'I can't afford to buy the DVDs' isn't really a reason, it's more of an excuse.

Oh are gone the days of saving up money to buy items. These days once kids receive money, they have to spend it right away.
Apr 4, 2011 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
you guys make it seem like buying anime is an obligation.

i have some boxsets but for/ the most part i watch on my computer.
Apr 4, 2011 11:16 PM
Aug 2010
Onibokusu said:
Unless you pay bills, 'I can't afford to buy the DVDs' isn't really a reason, it's more of an excuse.

Oh are gone the days of saving up money to buy items. These days once kids receive money, they have to spend it right away.

I'm not a kid, I'm 20+ and have plenty bills, I'm lucky if I have "spending" cash at the end of the month.

Buying DVDs is not something that would probably ever be in my list of things to buy, I could probably say it's a luxury to buy anime DVDs the way they're priced.

jpem said:
you guys make it seem like buying anime is an obligation.

i have some boxsets but for/ the most part i watch on my computer.

Exactly, just because we watch anime, we're not obligated to buy the DVDs.

The only thing I can afford (sometimes) is a manga of my favorite series.
Apr 4, 2011 11:35 PM
Nov 2008
ichigo03 said:
it's a luxury to buy anime DVDs the way they're priced.

At $13 for a S.A.V.E. Collection? $23 for a 13-episode Blu-Ray collection? $20-30 for a 26-episode DVD collection? Sure is a luxury purchase.

Seriously, don't complain about the pricing of something if you don't even know how much it costs. This isn't 2004 when collections were priced in the $70-80 range.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

8 by Adnash »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 26 minutes ago

1 by Memore »»
13 minutes ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 7 hours ago

3 by JehadKun »»
4 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.