Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2011 1:23 PM

Dec 2008
I just want to hold Onohana's mother, grandmother, and Minko down and slap them all until their noses bleed!! I am SO SAD for Onohana...

All that aside, this anime really grabbed my attention. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Apr 3, 2011 1:25 PM

Aug 2010
Hoppy said:
The Grandmother is too harsh, I wasn't expecting abuse in this.

Yeah, I was got off guard not by the fact that she was strict and told Ohana she didn't like her but because she whacked her and Minko in the face. Old fashioned, I suppose, very old fashioned.
Apr 3, 2011 1:39 PM

Jan 2010
I was expecting great things from this and they lived up to it 100%

Great animation, beautiful scenery, and the story felt exactly how I wanted it to be..a soap opera.

So far the two shows that I've watched this season have been excellent..now lets see how the rest of them pan out.
Ok™
Apr 3, 2011 1:41 PM
Apr 2010
Drama, Humor, and Slice of Life. This season's going to be even better than I expected.
Apr 3, 2011 1:50 PM

Sep 2010
didn't really like the voice for OP and ED. Oh well
Story was somewhat rage-inducing

PhantomMoon said:
Doesnt ohana kinda look like a variation of taiga? xD

I agree.

Apr 3, 2011 1:56 PM

Jan 2011
I know it's only the first episode, but I'm pretty sure this will end up being my favorite show of the season. The voice cast, the animation, the art, the music, the story, the characters, I'm in love with it all. Plus, I hate when slice of life series stop at only 13 episodes, so I'm extremely happy that it will be twice that. (=
Apr 3, 2011 2:02 PM

Aug 2010
That art. That main character. That first episode. 5/5.
Apr 3, 2011 2:03 PM

Jul 2010
Great start to the show.

Beautiful animation, fitting OST and maybe even insert songs as the show goes along, interesting characters, and a nice SoL story. This is exactly what I was expecting from this show and it's exactly what I got. Let's hope it continues to be impressive. And 26 episodes? That raises my hopes for this show.

Despite being 16 and thrown all over the place, Ohana dealt with things really well. Almost too well. So that partial breakdown of her situation getting to her at the end of the episode was perfect.

Her mother is just craazaaay. I'm surprised Ohana doesn't resent her. Maybe she does and she doesn't really show it? Too early to guess.

Ko is such a typical guy. "I like you!" out of nowhere and she's just, "Eh? Huh? Uh.." so out of the blue and she doesn't know how to respond. Ahh, isn't that how these things always go? I loved that.

Minko and the grandmother both seem like characters that a lot of people are going to hate, but I like them both. Nako's quiet personality is interesting. She reminds me of a character from Sola whose names escapes me at the moment...

Ahaha, I've rambled enough. Needless to say, I liked this first episode. I hope it doesn't go downhill or something. ^_^;;

*Edited spelling errros. Apparently my caffeine-hyped self doesn't proofread very well.
IiliaApr 3, 2011 3:22 PM
Apr 3, 2011 2:05 PM

Feb 2008
blahrgness said:
But I dislike how it makes me feel bad for having a pretty pampered childhood.
Tell me about it, heh. Being shipped off to your stern grandmother at 16 because your mom wants to elope with her older boyfriend...

I think we have a winner, at least so far, for best show this season. I already care about Ohana and the show didn't lose my attention once, something I can't say for the rest of the season's show (with the possible exception of Nichijou, which was rather peculiar).

I was a bit put off by the 26 episode length but I don't think I'll regret watching this.
Apr 3, 2011 2:06 PM
Apr 2010
The humour is quite lame, and Kissuisou looks like a sanctuary for every kind of weirdoes. As great and lifelike the first half of the episode is, as horrible the second. I have to say, that it's Ohana's mom that I abhor the most, sending her daughter under the "care" of such a person that she knows her mother is. Anyway, I'm going to give it a try, with one of greater art among the recent shows and rather interesting characters.
Apr 3, 2011 2:07 PM

Jan 2008
The anime had a great start and it is just the anime i was looking for.
<3
Apr 3, 2011 2:17 PM

Nov 2008
type_silver said:
This is going to be one hell of a boring anime.......>_< While the animation and music is pretty good, I can't see the story having a climax at all. So, if i have to watch 26 episodes of girls working in a shop while being slapped and screamed at then sorry, this is not my cup of tea.

I can certainly understand that sentiment ~ As I watched that scene I was a bit "Uh.. I thought 1955 had passed I guess not"

Though I assume she will get used to it OR change it while changing herself , this is likely slice of life drama so I think you can expect to get exactly what that is. And being the Anniversary work I guess it being 26 episodes isn't too surprising (remember when 20-25 was the NORM? those were the days heh)

Heres hoping this turns out to be a Diamond and not just a regular lump of coal

First episode 3.9/5 from me, and I noticed every adult is more or less portrayed aside from one old lady on a train as being selfish or just a plain asshole. Though the protagonist seems like an interesting character~ And I am sure we will get to know the others very soon~ Seems we are in for a slice of life drama (ie not happy go lucky) with some of that 'self change' or change yourself and your surroundings with it style-

Oh and I doubt this is the last we've seen of 'ko-chan'

Great art work , and with a very fitting sound track so far also , especially some of the backdrops art wise.
prismheart said:
Hoppy said:
The Grandmother is too harsh, I wasn't expecting abuse in this.

Yeah, I was got off guard not by the fact that she was strict and told Ohana she didn't like her but because she whacked her and Minko in the face. Old fashioned, I suppose, very old fashioned.

I agree, I wasn't overly a fan of it myself.
sirwenceApr 3, 2011 3:02 PM
Apr 3, 2011 2:17 PM
Mar 2009
It seems like everyone is hating on the Grandma, but she is just trying to behave her employees. From the ending you can see that she smiles, so she does seem to have a good side. She just wants some well behaved children so they won't f*** themselves up on the job. Inside, she loves them and if something serious happens I have a feeling she is gonna be the hero.

For the episode, I thought it was a lovely start to introduce all the characters. I can really see some nice character development. I love the animation (especially on 720p =]) and the cute characters. The music really fit the scenes, and I just feel peaceful while hearing the music. 8/10 for the first episode.
Apr 3, 2011 2:22 PM
Feb 2010
I have a feeling this is going to make top 10.
Apr 3, 2011 2:22 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, I must admit... I'm shocked.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I really didn't think it would be much. I wasn't even sure I would pick this series up. But I loved it.

I love the main character. She's likeable, a normal girl who doesn't really know how to work for a living but she isn't annoying and she seems to be dealing with the entire situation like a normal person would. She's funny as heck too, which really is a great addition. Ohana, you may just earn your way on to a spot on my favorites list yet!

I'm reserving judgement on all the other characters, particularily the grandma. I think she'll end up more likeable later. I honestly think the reason she didn't hit her to begin with is because she looks like her daughter.

I thought My Ordinary Life would be the comedy of the season, but this has outshone it so far! There were a few times during this I laughed out loud. Heck, the first scene made me do that, and not many series can accomplish that.

The art and backdrops are just awesome. The animation is rather nice as well.

I really hope Ko comes back. He wasn't there for long, but I already like his character. Especially considering he had the exact same answer for the corn conundrum as I did XD

Definitely my favorite of the season thus far, but it is a bit early to be saying that.

Anyways, so glad I picked this up!

5/5 for episode 1.
Apr 3, 2011 2:23 PM

Jul 2010
MakasiDex said:
I did enjoy the episode but DAMN I got pissed off at her Grandma and Minko. Just wanted to punch both of them...

I totally agree with you there. Minko's just so bratty and rude, telling a complete stranger to go die just because she accidentally picked her plants without knowing it and for trying to help her! Poor Ohana even took THREE slaps in the face (and got a nosebleed) for her sake and Minko doesn't even thank her! That's just ungrateful!

But even so, I really like this anime. I'm gonna watch it! Ohana's a pretty nice character. I can't wait to see how the rest of the anime plays out.
Apr 3, 2011 2:23 PM

Nov 2010
Wow :O I already hate the mother and the grandma.
Apr 3, 2011 2:25 PM

Nov 2008
Azael said:
Wow :O I already hate the mother and the grandma.

And the Uncle, like I said all the adults are not currently; being portrayed positively
Apr 3, 2011 2:27 PM

May 2008
Finally not a "happy go around" slice of life series. I loved the first episode, totally grabbed my attention, the art is beautiful, the soundtracks are all catchy so I have no complains for now.
Ito Kanae's voice fits the character really well and I really like the freshness it has.
Apr 3, 2011 3:02 PM

Oct 2010
and here i thought this was gonna be a really melodramatic coming of age anime, thank god its not so far. Its actually very pleasant and bubbly not to mention beautiful
Apr 3, 2011 3:20 PM

May 2009
Amazing visuals - art, animation and character design are all excellent. This first episode made a huge impression on me and I expect greatness from this anime. I just liked it all around.
Apr 3, 2011 3:21 PM

Sep 2008
sayami said:
Finally not a "happy go around" slice of life series.

Why isn't it a "happy go around"?
Dunno, but I've been smiling during the whole episode, so it looks pretty happy to me. Gonna be a nice lighthearted fun all the way.
Apr 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Apr 2009
Awesome, awesome first episode. Beautiful art, generally pleasant but at the same time sad, and I didn't mind the voice actors too much. We're in for a wild ride.

Though I hate, hate, HATE the grandmother with a passion. One episode in and already some physical abuse. Then again, there might be some grandmothers that treat their grandchildren as workers. (My grandmother isn't like that, she's the sweet one)

Also, I think that little scene in the train (where the elderly woman gave candy and enjoyed a view with Ohana) was significant. It's in contrast to her grandmother's real personality. I also think we're going to have a lesson... Tamayura style. (How an event changes a character forever)

This is going to be an awesome series.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Apr 3, 2011 3:32 PM

Aug 2009
I don't think I've ever hated a grandma so much.
Apr 3, 2011 3:46 PM
Nov 2009
I love this first episode! This anime is going to be great!!

I also love the grandma! She is going to be awesome. She definitely plays the Yubaba of the series well. I expect a lot of great things from her in the future episodes.

btw, when Ohana not only asked to be hit, but took the hits without showing weakness, was I the only one who thought;

'Cool and Spicy!'
Apr 3, 2011 4:20 PM

Sep 2008
Really enjoyed this first ep so I'm excited to watch some more of this.
Apr 3, 2011 4:24 PM

Jun 2008
Awesome episode, but i dont think the grandma is as bad as some are making her out to be, but then again this is only the beginning of the series, i hope the rest of the episodes follow the same feeling/pace this had.

I will continue to watch this series, looks very promising.
Apr 3, 2011 4:30 PM
Nov 2009
mrSmiles said:
Awesome episode, but i dont think the grandma is as bad as some are making her out to be

agreed. She isn't some evil villain, she is just a relic of a previous age. An more old fashioned age. I expect later episodes will get to flesh her out much often, no doubt about it.
Apr 3, 2011 4:45 PM

Dec 2010
I thought the mum was pretty cool until she sends her off. Looks very promising.
Apr 3, 2011 4:51 PM

Apr 2009
well, P.A. Works is probably the current best background artists in all anime producers.. and their animation is still great.. hopefully, the 26 episodes in this original anime would do it a good thing by providing more development for the characters.. this is absolutely worth the watch..

and i'm starting to really love Ohana.. her way of thinking that her life needs a dramatic twist plus her being knowledgeable of the arts of troping is so win.. and she's kyawaii..
Apr 3, 2011 4:54 PM
Feb 2011
Not a huge fan of Slice of life anime since the year after Haruhi made my stomach turn with the genre but this series seems pretty interesting. I'm into the type of anime that goes all the way with either language, morals, or gore and this one seems like it will go pretty far in at the very least morals. Don't think it will be as profane as black lagoon but thats just unrealistic to expect I suppose. 4/5 so far for me.
Apr 3, 2011 5:05 PM

Jun 2009
the Art just Fvckn' awesome. Hope no more drama than this...
but, 26 episodes...oh well
Apr 3, 2011 5:16 PM

Jun 2009
impressive animation
how come i feel like this is another k-on twist?
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Apr 3, 2011 5:36 PM

Jan 2010
I really like the art style of this one. When the anime is a slice of life, that is a really important aspect of it. I hope it doesn't decrease, the quality, after the first episode.

Ohana is really cute and her seiyuu suits her incredibly well.
Apr 3, 2011 5:44 PM
Sep 2010
For first impressions, it's a very pretty anime, that's for sure. I absolutely love the character design for Ohana, and her hair reminds me of Sex Hair (forgot her name) from Amagami SS.

At the end the general storyline definitely left me wanting more. Still too early to judge how things'll happen since it's just the first episode, but I'm fairly sure Hanasaku Iroha won't disappoint me. A definite change of pace from the overly moeblob fanservice shows!

This wasn't an anime that particularly jumped out at me when looking through a preview guide, and I just downloaded it on a whim since I had some free-time. This might be a surprise hit for me for the season, and I'm excited to see what will happen next.
Apr 3, 2011 6:53 PM

May 2009
Good training video on bad parenting. It was tough to watch at times (mostly grandma's viciousness), but Ohana's quite the charmer and show is just pretty. Keep it up PA Works.
Apr 3, 2011 7:01 PM

Jan 2011
Excellent first episode! I didn't care too much for Ko, I'm sure Ohana can do better when she starts in at her new school as a transfer student. If you have a good enough story 26 episodes is not too long at all. (Kimi ni Todoke anyone?)
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 3, 2011 7:08 PM

Mar 2011
So far I love this show and that's hard for me to say after just the first episode usually. But it seems to have a unique story line compared to a lot of the recently released anime. I also loved the art and animation in this. I feel bad for Ohana and right now dislike the grandmother but I too feel like this will turn into a very touching story and there will be a sense of family between the two eventually. I can't wait to get more character development from the other employees there as well. Overall this show seems very promising and already im giving it a 7/10! Can't wait till the next episode.
Apr 3, 2011 7:19 PM

Dec 2009
I already love this show.

The art. Is gorgeous. My god.
Apr 3, 2011 7:27 PM

Nov 2008
That's why I like watching first episodes without reading the synopsis! It really gives me surprises :D and it's P.A. works!!! I really liked their story and art :D

No wonder why Ohana's voice so familiar XDD gotta love Elsea XDD

But why is this a Seinen? hmmm I guess I'll find it soon

Bringing the hate for her grandma and Minko aside, I don't like the look of them boys D: I'm worried for Ohana... Can't wait for the next episode

I already have a feeling that Ko will see Ohana very soon in that inn especially when he mentioned about spring break :D I want to see their development XDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 3, 2011 8:04 PM

Nov 2010
Very interesting anime on every scale, i want to see what happens next week. My guess this one will become a great hit and be very touching is every essence, sort of down because of the mom and grandma and Ko being so blunt and running off, like really...
Apr 3, 2011 8:10 PM

Jan 2010
Good Slice of life anime.. I wasn't gonna watch it at first but I thought I'll give it a try and I'm glad I did.. and it's 26 episodes :D I can tell that it's gonna be a good one!..

I loved the animation and the music.. 5/5 for the first episode..
Apr 3, 2011 8:37 PM

May 2010
Interesting first episode, i do wonder if she'll make up with her grandma and if we'll see any changes on how that inn is run. The next 25 eps should have a lot in store for us. Looking forward to it.
Apr 3, 2011 8:50 PM
Mar 2011
Even though its only the first episode, I already love it. The story line looks like its going to be solid and I already love the ending song. To me, it somehow gives off a Natsume Yujinchou feeling which I definitely love and enjoy. 26 episodes, I am definitely going to enjoy waiting to watch this every week. I hope in these 26 episodes, Ohana betters her relationships with everyone, especially with her grandmother.

Edit: I thought she sounded familiar. Shes voiced by Itou Kanae who also played Amu in Shugo Chara. <3
xxpowerxx1qzApr 3, 2011 8:55 PM
Apr 3, 2011 9:14 PM

Aug 2008
type_silver said:
This is going to be one hell of a boring anime.......>_< While the animation and music is pretty good, I can't see the story having a climax at all. So, if i have to watch 26 episodes of girls working in a shop while being slapped and screamed at then sorry, this is not my cup of tea.

Totally agree. There is nothing interesting about these characters nor about the plot. The grandma's reactions are totally absurd. What this is going to end up being is a depressing schlep through their lives and why each of them is messed up in their own way. But I don't care. I'll watch another episode to see if it turns around, but so far I have nothing and no one to root for. This episode was quite boring.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Apr 3, 2011 9:27 PM

Dec 2007
Very good first episode, like this alot.

I probably hate her mom the most knowing how the grandma is like before hand and running off with her debt-ridden boyfriend, and the thing is Ohana doesn't even seem that mad about it but maybe she'll show it later on.

I don't mind the grandmother because she'll probably be more likable later on, same with Minchi.

I really like the main character Ohana, she always seems to always have a smile on her face no matter what happens and believes very strongly in her values. I do feel sorry for her for what she's had to deal with so far.

Overall a pretty good start.
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]
Apr 3, 2011 9:39 PM

Dec 2010
I've got to say...so far this anime is very refreshing.

A lot happened in this episode - Ohana having to live by herself because her mom wants to have fun with a man? That's just pathetic parenting right there.

I knew that her grand mother was going to be a bitch, but goddamn she annoys me so much.

I feel bad for Ohana. She's too innocent. It seems her tsundere like "friend" Minko is going to play a big role in the anime.

Apr 3, 2011 9:44 PM

Dec 2010
I hope it doesn't go in the generic direction of "over-privileged kid forced to work and eventually wins the hearts of the people around her." I have a feeling it will, but I'll still watch it.

Good animation and music (except for the vocal stuff)

type_silver said:
I'll watch another episode to see if it turns around, but so far I have nothing and no one to root for. This episode was quite boring.

Why do you need someone to root for?
Apr 3, 2011 9:45 PM

Nov 2009
This anime is not for some ecchi/harem/action fetish guys, it's all about drama, slice of life, a little bit of comedy and romance.

the Director is the man who made True tears, angel beats and canaan. If you have watched all 3 series, you will know how good will this Hanasaku Iroha be
After finishing the first episode, everything was perfect so far, the plot, animation, sound, characters(they have their own personality, not some stupid moe appearance).
9.5/10, looking for the next ep

Please don't post these comments like :" this kind of boring, I want some sort of ecchi scenes, nothing happen so far, etc"
too much of ecchi, harem these days. this one has potential to be a masterpiece
Takana_no_HanaApr 3, 2011 9:48 PM
Apr 3, 2011 9:55 PM

Mar 2010
Vforvendetta said:
the Director is the man who made True tears, angel beats and canaan. If you have watched all 3 series, you will know how good will this Hanasaku Iroha be

True Tears, Angel Beats, and Canaan are directed each by three different directors. It's the director of Canaan who worked on HanaIro. They're all produced from P.A. Works studio, though.

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

metalsnakezero - Apr 17, 2011

256 by kirA_-_ »»
Yesterday, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

327 by SlammyHammy »»
Jan 31, 8:45 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.