Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2008 2:44 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Glad the box set came in today. :D
A really nice episode, it follows the manga a lot, but seeing it animated is really nice. How it switches between when Henrietta was found to the current time.

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Oct 6, 2008 6:15 AM

Aug 2008
My first impression is very ambiguous. On one hand, there is room for a sophisticated psychological drama, but on the other hand the setting is really unrealistic. "Let's turn young girls into first class killing machines!", wtf? That's kinda goofy.
Oct 23, 2008 7:41 PM

Oct 2007
As far as first episodes go this was actually quite good, it a good amount of depth to it. I just hope it keeps it up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2008 5:48 AM

May 2008
Braino said:
"Let's turn young girls into first class killing machines!", wtf? That's kinda goofy.

Well apparently the excuse was BECAUSE they were young and their bodies were therefor at a riper age for modifying.

I just watched the first episode, and that's what I heard.
And if you think about it, aren't a lot of things easier to modify when you're young?
That's pretty sensible if you ask me. A lot more sensible than a lot of other things they put in anime.

Surely you must be opposing this from a moral standpoint then. Saying it would be unlikely for someone in human society to develop a policy in which children are allowed to go through such a grueling lifestyle. And even that moral was brought up in the film.

And if you bring up that moral standpoint, it's not much different than what they made the kids in evangelion go through. Is it?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 3, 2008 8:40 AM

Aug 2008
its anime, i think many would find it less entertaining if adults were the ones being the assassins. just not as fun seeing kids killing people i guess ^_^
Feb 1, 2010 4:05 AM

Nov 2009
Well imo realism in anime is less entertaining. This episode was pretty good im not sure if this show will keep me hooked though, will see in the next 2/3 episodes
Feb 14, 2010 8:42 AM

Dec 2009
RDX This episode was pretty good im not sure if this show will keep me hooked though, will see in the next 2/3 episodes[/quote said:

Ditto. I like the idea behind the story. They are giving girls with shattered lives a future. First episode wasn't as gripping as I'd hoped but we'll see...
Such junk...
May 21, 2010 3:53 PM

Aug 2009
That was amazing. I have high expectations for this anime.
5/5
Dec 22, 2010 1:59 PM

Mar 2010
I had previously watched the first episode subbed, however, picked it back up and am watching it dubbed (because I got Netflix). Despite me hating dubbed I watched this first episode, but I expect to go back to subbed very soon. Anyway, pretty decent episode, or better said, introductory episode. However, felt very, very slow paced. It's ok though, some series start like that for a good reason. Looking forward to the next!
Mar 11, 2011 8:01 PM
Jul 2010
This would be far more interesting if Henrietta were twice as old.

Psychological trauma is a terrible trait for an assassin, though it's fine if kept a secret. These people not only look for it, they look for it in orphaned 10 year old girls.

Really... I don't know how much this great execution can help such a bad premise.
Mar 12, 2011 11:57 PM

Aug 2010
The OP is amazing.
Mar 23, 2011 10:25 AM

Feb 2009
Akolatronic said:
The OP is amazing.

I feel like i could listen to it for hours...And Henrietta's story is just...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 6, 2011 9:25 PM

Feb 2010
Luthimal said:
Psychological trauma is a terrible trait for an assassin, though it's fine if kept a secret

From what I read in the description, I think that's gonna be half the point of this anime
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Feb 12, 2012 1:14 AM

Sep 2011
Dude she was kicking ass with just a p90! Imagine her with something with more fire power! >:D
Mar 20, 2012 5:09 PM

Nov 2011
I was deceived, I thought the renowned p90 girl would do the matrix or something or do back flip trick shots to show off how much better she is than those crooks. But I guess this works too =P.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 27, 2012 3:03 AM

Oct 2012
This seems to be a good start for this Anime....I guess It'll be a great one to finish in 2 days or so (Can't finish it in one day because there isn't good electricity :( )
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Nov 18, 2012 9:17 AM

Aug 2012
great first episode. I think this would make a very good live action movie too for some reason.
Nov 30, 2012 10:36 AM

Apr 2012
ukonkivi said:
Braino said:
"Let's turn young girls into first class killing machines!", wtf? That's kinda goofy.

Well apparently the excuse was BECAUSE they were young and their bodies were therefor at a riper age for modifying.

I just watched the first episode, and that's what I heard.
And if you think about it, aren't a lot of things easier to modify when you're young?
That's pretty sensible if you ask me. A lot more sensible than a lot of other things they put in anime.

Surely you must be opposing this from a moral standpoint then. Saying it would be unlikely for someone in human society to develop a policy in which children are allowed to go through such a grueling lifestyle. And even that moral was brought up in the film.

And if you bring up that moral standpoint, it's not much different than what they made the kids in evangelion go through. Is it?

I agree.
Very good episode, the direction was great and the animation was amazing. Everything from the music to the characters were stunning.
rodentqween99Nov 30, 2012 10:45 AM
Jan 29, 2013 6:09 PM

Jan 2012
well to say i've heard quite a lot of this anime was expecting more people to have commented on this one... and not even a page? meh... i will put in my two pennies worth even though this anime is way old now....

in terms of first episodes, it was pretty good, i kinda like the idea of modifying at a young age, it is when they are going to hit their peak so why not.... but maybe a little older than what they are now..

Henrietta is such a cute girl, with such a tragic past, so sad.... can't blame her for snapping once in a while i guess when you think about it..

also... OP and ED were fantastic, the ED especially caught me off guard but it was so powerful!
Jan 17, 2014 10:11 AM

May 2012
Very slow paced and while the concept is pretty interesting if the show really keeps this slow pace the anime will suffer under it.
Jun 1, 2014 7:19 AM

Aug 2013
It could be interesting but slow

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jul 13, 2014 6:31 PM

Jun 2014
The episode was amazing!

First impression. 5/5
Oct 15, 2014 2:28 PM
Jun 2013
borrowed the collection from my friend and boy going by the first episodes mood this is going to be a depressing show.
Oct 20, 2014 11:36 PM

Aug 2013
That OP O___O

"We'll find a new one before she's used up." That made me so mad.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 28, 2014 4:42 AM

Jul 2009
So the girls do all the dirty work...
Feb 27, 2015 7:19 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty poor opening episode imo, didn't like the structure and the artwork's pretty bland. I started multitasking before the halfway point.

Always loved the Delgados though
Apr 3, 2015 9:43 PM

Jun 2014
Its nice to know this anime is godly.

Amazing 1st episode~
Apr 10, 2015 3:51 AM

Jul 2013
Blackouting said:
Pretty poor opening episode imo, didn't like the structure and the artwork's pretty bland. I started multitasking before the halfway point.

Lol what did you expect from a very old anime? Art before was not as flashy as today.
Apr 10, 2015 11:51 AM

Apr 2012
Tenshi_Shura said:
Blackouting said:

Lol what did you expect from a very old anime? Art before was not as flashy as today.

I watch a lot of old anime :P (This isn't *very* old). I think it's bland compared to most things from the 90s/early 00s.
Aug 26, 2015 11:28 AM

Jan 2012
Nice English op song,what a powerful loli .

Jan 29, 2016 9:20 AM

Jun 2011
I did not care much for it, I think it's your typical dramatic anime with cartoonish antics and flat characters.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
May 12, 2016 6:35 PM
Nov 2013
If you could't tell from the premise, this show is messed up. This assassination organization takes orphan girls and harshly train and genetically alter them into killers. The girls are the hitmen's "tools." I bet the main realizes this corruption and will try to escape with Henrietta.

I'm getting an anti-magical girl vibe here/.
Jun 22, 2016 7:49 AM
Mar 2016
I'm not sold on this yet. I've heard season 2 is waaaaay better than season 1. I've only watched 1 episode, I will be continuing it soon. When she swung the bag and pulled out a gun and started shooting I was like "Holy shit. What the.. oh this is going to be a good anime." but after a short while, I don't know what it was but the hook that had hooked me, was loosening. Mmm.. I will have to see what this anime has in store.
Sep 20, 2016 7:40 AM

Sep 2014
Great first episode. This is going to be very dark. Some scenes already kicked off my emotional side in very depressing ways.
Oct 13, 2016 6:30 PM

Sep 2013
Not as good as I'd hoped. Very flat, emotionless and dull...though I imagine that's they were going for. The whole thing has a stark aura of despair and finality that weighs heavily. It's just downright depressing.

One thing I really didn't like is how they're doing the whole "Evil-scientist/corporation/government agents using innocent people to their own dark ends" thing going on. That's a theme that has been overused so much it is downright cliche. I hope they include a few people who actually care about the kids and don't somehow have an organization that is comprised of hundreds of people with no qualms about using up children until they burn out and die.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 6, 2017 7:19 PM

Apr 2017
I really like this episode. It has a depressing feel to it. I hope it stays that way. I need more depressing anime in my life! :D

I did find myself desperately wanting some human (cyborg?) contact between Henrietta and her handler. If he had put his arm around her after the raid that would have been so nice. I would have broken down.

It reminds me a bit of another Madhouse show: Texhnolyze.
Thorn_WallMay 6, 2017 7:22 PM
Jul 5, 2017 7:55 AM

Jun 2013
I like the setting, the noisy city where a construction site can stifle the sound of gunfire. Italy was probably a good choice, too. The sound design is also pretty good, there's plenty of quiet ambience which makes it pop even more when shots are fired.

I want to see more from the little assassins' perspective, though. The show is called Gunslinger Girl, after all. And I think they could play up the Mediterranean feel a bit more, too. More seagulls, street vendors and local food, please.

I share your concerns. It's hard to get invested in the drama when there isn't really a conflict to speak of, just darkness and despair.
LeeTailorJul 5, 2017 7:59 AM
Jul 19, 2017 8:31 AM

Nov 2016
It was an ok start, I like the darker tone of the show, but at the same time it feels emotionless and dry.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 7, 2017 5:38 AM

May 2015
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN!

I have a feeling this is going to be just like Serial Experiments Lain; trying to tell you a deeper sense of something, by telling you a whole bunch of nothing.

The setup seems interesting enough, but can't we be given a little bit more context?
So far we've had a couple of emotionless, sterile characters that try to act badass by killing people we don't even dislike yet.

Also, this is a minor point, since this is an anime, but science called me today. They said that GUNS HAVE MAGAZINES.
Nov 17, 2018 3:32 AM

Jan 2013
The OP was pretty good
"Magic cake" ... I think we know what that is code for =)

As for the episode, it's alright ... I think it's trying a bit too hard to be dark but let's see where this show will take it.
Jun 10, 2019 5:01 AM

Dec 2013
I like the first episode, pretty intriguing. I feel bad for Henrietta but I'm sure the other girls had dark pasts too. I love the pauses in some scenes for some reason

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 12, 2019 6:18 AM

Oct 2012
P90? I like her already xD
I like how there's construction work when the shooting began, they're really serious about this

She obviously went berserk because of that guy threatening her "fratello"

That was kinda sad, they're not even treated as humans
Only as tools
But at same time they seems got emotions, which is weird for brainwashed people
Also they got adequate amount of foods & nice places to live

I love psychological drama anime, it's like slice of life
Only the slice it's usually literally xD
Rayl1ghtAug 12, 2019 6:23 AM
"Signature removed"
Jul 5, 2021 3:00 PM

Nov 2012
I tried watching the dub of this and why is everyone so mumbly???
Jul 26, 2022 10:19 AM

Jan 2020
I don't remember hardly anything about this series other than someone told me it was really sad. I checked out the first episode awhile back, but wasn't particularly impressed enough to finish it. So, here I am, finally about to binge this. Hopefully Lycoris Recoil won't muddy my experience with this.

The OP is throwing me off. Otherwise, it's rather dark, and after this first episode I am interested. Not sure why I never bothered to finish it before?

At the end when Henrietta was invited back for a "drink" I was half expecting some sort of alcohol. It ended up being "magic" cake and tea. Not sure if that has any significance. But, I was somewhat surprised that the girls aren't entirely emotionless. Having a tea party after assassinating a room full of people sure is an interesting juxtaposition.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 16, 2022 4:52 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting premise so far especially with the government making the questionnable decision on turning kids with trauma into child soldiers.

Nov 23, 2022 5:11 PM
Mar 2019
Re-watching for the 4th time.
I never get fed up of this opening episode, Henrietta is on fire.
Dec 14, 2022 9:57 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Not going to be watching this just yet, but thought I'd just see the first episode to get a feel for it and to conclude that I do in fact want to watch this later. And yeah, once I finish the ghost in the shell standalone series, I'll definitely be jumping onto this right after.

The concept of having an organization composing of young girls as assassins isn't exactly the most unique premise ever, but this aired all the way back in 2003 (almost 20 full years ago from now holy sh*t), so there's no issue there about this not really feeling original. Even if this did air today, the originality issue wouldn't even be a thing since that is not what the majority of the general audience of anime is looking for anyway.

Coming from recent memory, I immediately recalled Lycoris Recoil, which aired in the last season (summer 2022) to the one I am in now (fall 2022). And while I loved tf out of it, putting it side by side with this, Gunslinger Girl, one clearly is purely CGDCT, while the other one is CGDCT minus the cute, and with a helluva lot more balls.

I'm looking forward to seeing the inner conflict of who appears to be our main lead here, who is having an internal battle within himself not to have emotional attachment for these girls who are supposed to be regarded to us mere tools. Surely his feelings and morals will get the better of him somewhere down the line, I think. Anyway, this was a good first episode, and I'll be back soon to finish the rest of it. Peace out for now, random soul on MAL who is watching Gunslinger Girl (2003) in late 2022 and beyond, and also have found themselves here in the first episode discussion thread. Lol.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 11, 2023 11:18 AM

Aug 2019
That was an alright first episode imo but man for some reason I was really having a hard time staying awake while watching lol
Apr 17, 5:45 PM

Oct 2017
fell in love with the p90 scene

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

51 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

whalegatorz - Jan 21, 2010

69 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 3, 10:19 AM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 11 Discussion

blackfeather_58 - Aug 27, 2008

45 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 2, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

58 by maki_evergarden »»
Jan 24, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 5 Discussion

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

37 by katakumplat »»
Sep 11, 2023 7:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.