Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 4, 2011 8:01 PM
Oct 2007
I say.. a good start but off to a typical story plot. Keep the same animation quality and budget for the rest of the episode = thumbs up
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2011 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
Jean is dead again of course. Cyclops is all emo and I cannot get used to that Japanese voice for Storm.

if the villains in the ending are going to appear ..... awesome. Mystique and Juggernaut looked good but .... was that STRYFE? Inner Circle should appear later. more of these villains and less U-Men and I might be able to finish this.

oh and talking squid wtf?

could have picked a much better X-Men roster ... but whatever.
Apr 5, 2011 2:27 PM

Nov 2009
I couldn't stop laughing at the airport scene with Wolverine. XD
Very interesting first episode. So far this series looks much better than the previous two Marvel series. I can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 5, 2011 3:52 PM
Mar 2011
mystik said:

i agree thay should of had only had the team members you have been active in comics[main x men cannon ] in the past 5 years
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 5, 2011 4:44 PM

Jan 2011
LMAO
Talking squid xDD
I laughed so hard, when it spoke to them
oh lol, as for Cyclops, I feel bad for him :c
he loved Jean so much D8 and now yeah..
well, Imma keep watching since, I like X-men (xD;; )
and yeah lol
Apr 5, 2011 6:53 PM

Feb 2008
Was the purpose of the first scene just to set up Scott as emo for this series? Considering where the story goes that's the only thing I can imagine. Granted, I'm not familiar with Xmen to the level that some comic readers would be, but it seemed so pointless. More than that it feels like a slap to the face as the story could have easily been about the series reaching that point.

The animation is what I'd expect from Madhouse and Wolverine doesn't look ridiculous. I don't like Storm's voice though, but that's because I've grown accustomed to how she sounded in the American animations. The whole "moving to Japan" plotline seemed so honed in. I know there are anime that take place outside of Japan so why are the Marvel anime trying so hard to move it there. Out of curiosity I watched it but I don't think I'll be watching episode two.
Apr 5, 2011 9:05 PM
Mar 2006
Damonashu said:
The whole "moving to Japan" plotline seemed so honed in. I know there are anime that take place outside of Japan so why are the Marvel anime trying so hard to move it there. Out of curiosity I watched it but I don't think I'll be watching episode two.

They're not moving to Japan, they're flying there to rescue a Japanese character. About half of Wolverine didn't take place in Japan by the way, so they clearly are not working under some sort of silly mandate that everything must be NIPPON ICHI or some shit. Granted, if you watched Iron Man I can understand why you might think so.
Apr 5, 2011 10:01 PM
Aug 2009
tigermaskV said:
mystik said:

i agree thay should of had only had the team members you have been active in comics[main x men cannon ] in the past 5 years

Actually it is the current Astonishing X-Men Roster but including storm aswell
Apr 6, 2011 3:06 AM

May 2008
''Jean Grey - she will rise again'' wtf? :D
Apr 6, 2011 4:15 AM

Dec 2007
I was expecting the squid to talk with -de geso~ in each end of a sentence.

Man, this is by far their best attempt on a Marvel series. The previous two were fucking trainwrecks.

This is actually interesting. Will keep watching and actually enjoying this.
Apr 7, 2011 12:32 AM

Jul 2008
zero_suls said:
''Jean Grey - she will rise again'' wtf? :D

Jean Grey aka Phoenix. Phoenix as in the bird that burns to death and is reborn from the ashes. They were being metaphorical. Come on, stick with it.

And I didn't watch the other two Marvel anime because of all the bad things I've heard about them, but I'm liking this one.
Apr 7, 2011 8:56 AM

May 2010
Hellz Yeah Storm is Hot. Whatever comes out of this anime I won't say anything bad about it XD
Apr 7, 2011 11:26 AM
Nov 2010
good prelude, i definitely hang on to this and see where it goes from here.
Apr 8, 2011 7:44 AM

Feb 2009
I really liked the opening episode
I think the ost is amazing and fits well
I really like the art work and the darkness to go along with the dark mood of the episode
as soon as I saw phoenix, I thought they would have jean turn into phoenix rather than just be dead/gone from the team.
as for rogue I'm on the fence about here really, her accent is so important imo how do they incorporate that?
so looking forward to mystique
not sure how to feel about 12 episode it's not enough for character development or additions but it also means we shouldn't have to worry about fillers
~May you continue being the Messiah....
Apr 8, 2011 11:33 PM

Jun 2009
This marks, what? Death #567 for Jean?

Scott being emo isn't surprising. He still looks pretty hot though.

Speaking of hot, HNNNNNG DAT STORM.

When she was being all moemoe I nearly died.

Wolverine has been restored to his former glory.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 9, 2011 12:06 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
What an extreme makeover of wolverine loll xD so different from wolverine only anime xD

well nice company quite interesting and different stories from movies :P Well interesting animes so far been.
Apr 9, 2011 5:09 PM

Feb 2008
the action sequences were crap, and I absolutely hate them for what they've done to Storm, but at least they killed off Jean right away so we can avoid all the love triangle and split personality/alien drama.

also glad they redesigned the Sentinels, although its not as much of an improvement as I had hoped for. I wonder if they're still being created by the American government?
Apr 11, 2011 9:56 PM
Jan 2009
I love the opening theme. I hate to say this but after listening to this in English for so many years, its kind of strange in Japanese but I really like what they've done with it.

Everyone looks great and the story so far is promising, I hope the other mutants will be introduced soon.

Anyone know if this follows an actual story line of the comic and how close to it, it might be?
Apr 13, 2011 12:12 PM

Jun 2009
Much more promising than the rest of the Marvel anime. Feels far more accurate to it's source materials and characters.

No real complaints so far, which is a good sign. The rest of the Marvel anime I dropped after 1-2 episodes.

4/5 - A good start. Glad they stuck with real comic characters (so far), since there are enough of them that you don't need to make stuff up.
Apr 15, 2011 2:13 AM

Jun 2010
Uhm...I didn't like it at all. I mean, a world where mutants are accepted and praised? What the hell?
Apr 17, 2011 9:30 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
yangireyandere said:
Uhm...I didn't like it at all. I mean, a world where mutants are accepted and praised? What the hell?

lol this is not covering the registration act or anything similar.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 18, 2011 8:07 PM
Mar 2011
Intense intro scene with Phoenix. Didn't even know she was part of the arc. She's my favorite part about X-Men :)

I know Cyclops being emo is completely rational, being that he lost his girl, but I can't help but think of him as a little uptight bitch in everything I watch and read. So annoying.

More Phoenix plz!
Apr 24, 2011 7:37 AM

Dec 2010
Wolverine anime > Iron Man anime > X-Men anime
「J>K>W」
事実。
Apr 28, 2011 6:43 AM
Nov 2009
If only it were a little funnier, that would be perfect! I can't get into things that aren't funny. But other than that is seems good so far :D
May 1, 2011 6:34 AM
Mar 2011
Worst anime i have seen in a long time. But i don't like the original X-Men and this was even worse. 1/10 and in dropped list it goes.
Jun 8, 2011 1:20 PM
Dec 2010
only four x-men -_- seriously?

where's Rogue & Gambit!

oh look Jean died..........AGAIN. does she survive i n anything?

I'm fed up seeing women die in these marvel anime.

wtf happened tae Logan, how'd he get back tae normal. how many years is this after wolverine? 2 at least?
Sep 30, 2011 10:02 AM

Jul 2011
Its not like Im a huge fan of X-Men ot somethink but I decided to check this series.
I thought I wont like tham but I felt that I had to check. And I was wrong I really liked that episode, It was amazing. The art is awesome it the episde was interesting.
This is the first anime form the so called "MARVEL" series that I watch bit if the others are like this I will probalby watch tham too.
I was surpriesed by that episode and I look forward to seeing the next one.
Oct 20, 2011 2:58 PM

Aug 2010
I liked the episode, but I can't help feeling that it was a little boring.

The first scene was intense and well-animated, but other than that...

Also, the team roster is kinda small. I was hoping for more members.

I like the musical score for Iron Man and Wolverine more so far.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 25, 2011 9:37 AM

Oct 2009
OP scene was WOW, great animation. But still the Phoenix thing is really old now, it keeps happening every fucking series D:

Great character designs Beast looks a bit like a dog to me though O-o and Wolvy looks too beastly IMO. Storm is hot wish her voice was better. I miss Rogue and Gambit :\

Good start.
Jun 21, 2012 6:42 PM
Oct 2011
I'm a huge X-men fan and liked this episode.... I have most of the movies, a lot of comic books, cartoons, etc. This episode is missing some X-men I relly enjoy seeing like Rogue and Gambit but Emma is in it so that is good....
Sep 1, 2012 2:09 PM

Apr 2012
anteUp said:
I know Cyclops being emo is completely rational, being that he lost his girl, but I can't help but think of him as a little uptight bitch in everything I watch and read. So annoying.

I couldn't agree more! Scott has always been rather annoying, at least to me...

Their anatomical properties are a bit off the high end if you ask me, and I have yet to get used to Logan's abnormally spiky mob of hair, but oh well. Nice to see Storm as the only female x-man though, hopefully she'll get more screentime than in the previous series then! She doesn't seem as fierce in the anime version though which is kinda disappointing.

But never mind! Anyone else thinks Ororo/Storm is smoking? 'Cause I sure do :D
Aug 19, 2013 1:58 PM
May 2013
I really liked the first episode. I saw it Now and I didn't know you could Mix Marvel,plus Anime into a series.
Jun 24, 2014 6:15 PM

May 2013
Just started watching this series (subbed). Really like the graphics and the story seems interesting enough. Looking forward to the remainder of the series.
SQ5 said:
Bea is dead. In an alternate future she would've borne your son. In the future past of Space Quest 4, your son would've saved your life. But she didn't, so he couldn't -- therefore you aren't.
- Space Quest 5 death scene
May 27, 2015 2:57 AM

Feb 2015
Aah, this brought tears and a huge smile to my face. I have no clue why i didnt watch this earlier.

I hope we see more X-Men.
May 3, 2016 6:19 AM

Jan 2012
finally Scott get ur shit together man

Oct 17, 2016 7:28 AM

Aug 2013
That was a good start.

Storm looks hot!
Sep 10, 2019 12:49 PM

Aug 2017
So, the show opens up with the very end of the Dark Phoenix Saga. That's a bad idea to start.

Gezz, it could 12 episode easily with that Saga and the rest can start after that. I got a bad feeling about this.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 12, 2020 12:55 PM

Jun 2009
Decent start to the series. Some funny moments. Character designs look great but I feel like they got Storm's personality wrong.
Nov 6, 2020 10:36 PM

Mar 2011
I voted "it was OK" the first time, if I were to vote today it would be "liked it". Now I am (more) willing to watch it. The first time, I on-holded it for years, that shit wasn't even on my list.
FrezlajNov 6, 2020 11:06 PM
Jan 24, 2021 10:17 AM
Jan 2020
Amazing beginning to a anime mainly because of the Dark Phoenix part, the rest was alright.

Tried to watch it sub like 99% of the time I usually do but I just can’t... the dub feels more real for these characters especially for Wolverine.

Definitely recommend the dub version.

Subbed is still great in terms of voice acting.
Apr 17, 11:26 PM
Jun 2022
Logan Is A Laugh Riot Man!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » X-Men Episode 12 Discussion

darkxdestiny - Jun 25, 2011

43 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 11:20 AM

Poll: » X-Men Episode 11 Discussion

13man18 - Jun 18, 2011

16 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 1:44 AM

Poll: » X-Men Episode 10 Discussion

belatkuro - Jun 11, 2011

17 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 1:28 AM

Poll: » X-Men Episode 9 Discussion

Blind_Guardian - Jun 4, 2011

18 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 1:14 AM

Poll: » X-Men Episode 8 Discussion

Zepwich - May 28, 2011

18 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 19, 6:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.