Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 5, 2012 7:29 AM

May 2009
What a lovely show! It talks about those difficult subjects yet it is so peaceful, so relaxing. The best part are the characters.
I need to read the manga. The ending was too... simple.

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.

Feb 5, 2012 3:35 PM

Jul 2010
Such wonderful story to tell and well presented. ( I love the art ) I support Crossdressing and I almost cried during this show!!
Mar 6, 2012 3:35 PM

Dec 2009
Finished wasting my time. I decided to watch this after reading some comments about it and I tried to watch to see if I could counter them. In the end, the anime is boring. The theme is kinda interesting and I admit I wanted to see how it was going to end, but... The ending was stupid.

4/10
Mar 12, 2012 3:48 AM
Nov 2011
Hmmm, pretty decent. 5/10.
Aug 2, 2012 7:02 PM

Nov 2011
Was a meh series for me.
Nov 19, 2012 3:04 PM

May 2012
Quite decent ending for this Anime, it was a weird subject but the creators did a good job doing the story development and just making a proper story! Even the end is rather open it's still a nice ending to have an all finish!

Good in general but what I really missed was a single kiss at least! But either way a nice watch 6/10
Nov 23, 2012 8:33 PM

Jul 2007
Blackbird said:
I am really like that Shu and Anna seem to be back together.

Anna x Shu

So are they suposed to be back after their talk by the gates?
May 11, 2013 4:46 PM

Oct 2011
After this, I definitely want to read the manga! I was really hoping for a glimpse into the future to see Nitori and Takatsuki as adults, but oh well. A pretty nice ending but it felt kind of like there should be more to come. I still really enjoyed the show and how it portrayed Nitori and Takatsuki, as well as the rest of the characters.
Jul 20, 2013 11:44 PM

Dec 2012
This was an interesting series with an equally interesting message. I feel like it wove the message of gender identity well, although I wish it had done more with the concept. This has definitely convinced me to read the manga sometime and then perhaps rewatch this after I finish it to develop a deeper appreciation for this series.

Overall I'll give it a 7/10. I really liked the art though, it was refreshing and easy on the eyes.
Aug 15, 2013 4:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
The ending was nice, but that's about it. I mean I enjoyed it, and it's a very slice of life ending, yet it's quite obvious that the story doesn't really end there because of the manga. I think Doi has a crush on Nitori though :P And I liked the talk between Nitori and Anna, it was nice to have them talk it out. Although I finished this in like two days (or less than 24 hours), it felt like I've been with the characters for a long time. Probably because there was cultural festival episode just a few episodes back, and we've seen a year pass by in the anime. It was a very nice series and I will definitely read the manga now ^^
Sep 9, 2013 8:07 AM
Aug 2012
i know i was hating on chiba, but when she was with nitori in the mirror i realized she was probably the best option for him. i never understoond why he loves anna, werid
Nov 26, 2013 9:45 PM

Jun 2013
CHIBA STAYS AS MY LEAST FAVOURITE CHARACTER FOR ETERNITY.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Mar 12, 2014 3:11 AM

Nov 2013
What a tastefully-done series about a somewhat uncomfortable (for many) topic. I found it refreshingly neutral, with genuine, likeable characters, although I find it hard to imagine middle schoolers acting this much like adults in both their words and actions. Maybe it's just because I live in a dumbed-down country. This is a terrific 'slice of life' anime and a hidden gem in a sea of so-so anime. The art and animation was amazing at times. Groups of people walking, everything in motion, so fluid. The painterly look was also interesting. Reminded me a bit of Usagi Drop in terms of the look, just a bit.
To think of it as an anime about cross-dressing kids does no justice. It's an interesting study in how deviant behavior is tolerated in Japanese society. I was quite amazed how cool most of the parents are with this sort of thing. Just a terrific series about growing up. Loved it.
Jun 2, 2014 11:31 AM

Jun 2011
MEsoJD said:
I liked the series!!! It was a breath of fresh air. : )

I love how the concept was handled.

The characters felt real, especially Nitori, but I felt that the story could have been better; these 12 episodes were mostly plays and having a gf.
Jun 26, 2014 5:29 AM

Nov 2011
That anger to know that this will be the definitive end of the transposition animated! D:
Changes occur for all and it seems that Nitori has decided to deal with them, but do not know in what time and in what manner.
The plot still brings havoc in interpersonal relationships, fabulous!
The plot was not so obvious and still has a sense of vague, the starda that the protagonists have to go is yet to make it in writing.
Technical part great, great job by the studio AIC Classic, as well as the part about the designs and scenarios,
gorgeous!
Also good soundtrack, shame to have to leave the characters so well characterized, a waste!
My final rating for now is 8/10!
Apr 8, 2015 10:47 AM

Nov 2013
sourlacte said:
Zergneedsfood said:

Pretty sure you didn't understand the show at all.

(OP here)

Pretty sure you're cis?

Give me an insight of how you interpreted the final episode, then. I watched the whole series (including the uncut episode) twice, and read the manga too.

You know, I'm trans, and watching/reading a series where even the transitioned trans character misgenders the trans kids is pretty exhausting, but that's cis normative for you.

The original work had Nitori grimace at the lowering of her voice, while the animation did the exact opposite. Add that to the sequences following this until the very last minute of the episode and explain to me how can it not be seen as transphobic.

I think you need to take a chill pill jc..

I am demiboy myself and I didn't feel the anime being transphobic at any time. Yeah, in the series there were characters who said transphobic things, but that doesn't make the series transphobic.

I think the series handled trans characters pretty well when comparing the running joke 'lol it's a trap' in every other series.

Nevertheless to me this series was a great experience and I grew up loving all the characters. Except Doi. He's a dick.
geocitiesJul 19, 2015 11:27 AM
Aug 20, 2015 8:48 PM

Feb 2015
Didn't like this show. Could have been great but settles with being mediocre. It's actually baffling how much cheap shit they managed to pull in a mere 11 episodes.
Oct 23, 2015 2:37 AM

Apr 2013
Nitori x Anna should be the way to go.
Nice art and music though. The ED is really good.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Oct 25, 2015 4:36 PM
Jun 2015
sourlacte said:
Disgusting.

It portrays a trans identity as some wishy-washy whim that is "good to grow out of". If the final episode of this series isn't transphobic I don't know what it is. Just reading what has been posted on here makes me really sad.

Yeah, I got a seriously terrible vibe from those last few minutes. I want to give the creators the benefit of the doubt and assume that they unintentionally botched the ending and accidentally sent the wrong message because it ends so suddenly in the middle of the story, especially given how surprisingly well the rest of it is handled, but still... if you're going to make a show like this (currently the only anime of its kind, afaik), you kind of have an obligation to be careful to get it right, otherwise it's pretty pointless.
Dec 7, 2015 4:32 PM

Sep 2014
Absolutely amazing show. I think it did really well at throwing a coming of age story together with a transgender theme. Lovable cast and I really liked the dialouge and thoughts. I said it again, but I wish more people were like this. Pondering about these difficult things, being honest to others, understanding... I can't help but love these characters.

What I kind of liked is that it was really realistic while also being incredibly idealistic/unrealistic in certain parts. I think the actual age of those characters was very well matched with how children act toward topics like sexuality, opposite gender, love etc. It's the time where these kinds of things become interesting and, depending on the character, people will more or less explore it, being by pondering or by praxis of any sort. Furthermore, the way they acted towards each other, being so honest (especially Chiba and Nitori) with the feelings, the way they talked, tried to put their feelings into words, pondering about their feelings. All of it felt so natural and, speaking from my own experience, I could very well imagine those conversations with real people. On the other hand, it's quite unrealistic to have this kind of self awareness and matureness to deliberate on yourself in that age (this being early teen, 10-13 years old). It's not a bad thing though. For me this was way more enjoyable than seeing adults in other show running off in the middle of their sentence...

The atmosphere was actually stunning and made a lot of the series. Visuals and music (lots of slow, beautiful piano pieces) ehanced the feelings conveit by each scene.

The only thing that is dragging the show down significantly is the length. They tried to get everything into 11 episodes and neglected a lot of details, missed out on giving a lot of the drama and characters more development and meat. In the end it felt really rushed at points, especially towards the end (ep8 onwards). It's really a shame because I feel with the right pacing/length this show would have been a 10/10 for me. This way it ends up being a 9/10. Still one of the absolute best shows I have ever watched.
MirageeDec 7, 2015 4:47 PM
Jan 25, 2016 11:05 AM

Jun 2012
Honestly, can't say I was a huge fan of the ending. I saw Nitori's reaction to his voice changing and Takatsuki and Chiba's conversation as an acceptance of him being a male instead of the other way around. Bummer...it was a great anime overall, but I wish they'd stuck with the message they'd been sending throughout the rest of the series; felt like it totally changed tones towards the end.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Feb 19, 2016 10:31 AM

Dec 2009
Surprisingly i didn't get around to watching this until recently, even though i share some relation to it all. There definitely needs to be more series addressing the subject without making fun of it like classical comedy.

I agree that the ending of this show seems to give off a flawed message, depending how you approach it. As a transgender, there's always 2 choices: change for yourself, or stay the way you are for others (if applicable) and accepting nature. I was honestly expecting Yoshino and Shuu to pair up, and doing what was mentioned in the earlier episodes, the man being the wife and the woman being the husband; switching roles. I have nothing against Anna, i really like her too, but this is all a very ambiguous subject. As far as their relationship goes, Anna was not shallow at all, they were at a point of discovery, they never really were lovers, they were each learning what it all meant, and Shuu showing the will of being a girl inside was a confusing subject for Anna, she didn't know how to react to it all, so she hid away thinking about it.

I don't like the fact that Shuu seems to be okay with going male, however it will make his life a lot simpler. What seems to be happening with Shuu & Anna is something akin to myself, which is even less understood than basic transgenderism: and that's being transgender AND homosexual. For example, a guy that should be a girl, but also likes girls. That is what it seems Shuu is. The mixed messaging seems at first to imply you should just grow out of it, which is really uncool, but if you look through that it would actually be giving a deeper message.

Stories that address things like these often inadvertently really dig into very complex psychological and sociological constructs that are the cause of these issues in the first place: for example, how it's okay for a girl to dress as a guy, but if a guy dresses as a girl it's suddenly super weird. There's a strange paradigm of female superiority even though there's a lot of cultural patriarchy... By that i mean, more people are looking at girls than at guys, and the female form/appearance is a prized valuable thing, and something that disrupts it causes reactions. A female that dresses as a guy is just choosing not to be in the female image, but a male that dresses as a girl is infringing on the domain of femininity, and unresting the natural homophobia within most males. -> To get around most of these issues humans have to conquer their nature and overpower the impulse with the intellect. People have to take control of themselves and their emotions to do what they want instead of what's automatic.

The particular case in this anime is a bit idealistic and unfair, but that's standard for anime.
-Shuu is cute and girly looking naturally.
-Shuu and Yoshino discover their transgenderism pre-puberty.
If you are going to become transsexual, the time to do it is before puberty, so you can catch the hormones before you get the wrong natural dose.

I didn't realize my own transgenderism until it was a topic in a highschool psychology class. Before then, i'd had some girly perspectives but never really thought about it, because it hadn't crossed my mind that such a thing was possible. There is every flavour of transgender, from vague to extreme, from emotionally impacting to logically reasoned, and sometimes even those who are mostly gender neutral but find a particular sex to be more freeing. Some are simple some are complex. Say a girl that is girly but should be a girly guy and not a girly girl, or a guy that is manly but should be a tomboy. Those with a less dramatic transgender state may not learn about themselves until it's already late in the game, if not educated on the subject at an early age.
. . . this needs to change. (well frankly all of education needs to change, and deliver the important messages earlier)

It's a very diverse subject that doesn't get enough attention at all. Maybe one day there will sophisticated enough technology to actually change someone's sex and not just imitate it like the surgery does. That actually reminds me of another issue: some wish to be the other sex in order to match their gender, but are afraid of or don't have access to the surgery. I bet you the most thought question by transgenders is this: "why couldn't i have been born with my sex matching my gender?"

Anyways, it was a lovely show, with nice music and a gentle story. Try not to get confused by the mixed message at the end, and try to support more series like this being made. Cheers to the amount of people not completely resistant to the subject.
GenesisAriaFeb 19, 2016 10:40 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Mar 13, 2016 11:09 PM

Jan 2014
Yays, he finally came to his senses and understood he is supposed to stay the boy he is and Takatsuki the girl she is. Wonderful anime which should show all people that not everyone with gender identity problems is immediately trans!!!
Mar 14, 2016 1:14 AM

Oct 2013
I like how the transgenders commenting on this seem to have a very different perspective on this ending than the non-transgenders.

Maybe it's just me, but Nitori didn't seem like a transgender to me; he seemed like someone who could be a transgender. A lot of people go through gender identity issues. It is a very common identity crisis. The amount of those who go through that which actually become transgenders is proportionately low. To me, Nitori seemed to have been questioning his gender without actually know what he feels about it. The ending could be interpreted as him accepting himself as who he currently is, realizing he would not be more comfortable as a girl at all.

It seems to me that the actual trans people are personally offended by that because they don't like the idea that he was not actually trans.

This is only my opinion based on the anime; if the manga projected it differently then I can't argue against that. But based on the anime, I think it is unfair to strictly see Nitori as a transgender. (BTW, he never actually called himself a woman or asked others to refer to him by female identifiers, which is worth considering.)

It was a lovely show, less about transgenderism than I expected and more about casual drama and gender identity questions as a whole. I'm very glad the show turned out as it did instead of being fully wrapped into the trans topic.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 30, 2016 6:18 PM

Jun 2013
I really loved and enjoyed this series. It's a slice-of-life, coming of age kind of series so I wasn't expecting anything extravagant or dramatic.

It was nicely paced and I liked the laid-back background and everything else.

This series inspired me to read the manga from now on :)
臭い-
Aug 28, 2016 9:00 AM

Jun 2014
Bad show, bad ending and bad message. 4/10

Oct 14, 2016 11:11 AM

Apr 2009
Lame ending. I'm still hoping for a sequel.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2017 1:46 PM

May 2016
santk said:
Bad show, bad ending and bad message. 4/10

What is the "message" that you say is bad?
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
May 5, 2017 8:46 AM

Nov 2016
This anime was really something, not just because it took on such a delicate topic, it also managed to tell the story fluently. Every scene and dialogue had meaning for the overall plot, not a single second was wasted. The only thing preventing me from giving a full score was the final conclusion, Nitori accepting himself and his changes is a good ending, but somehow it lacked something for me.

Nonetheless it was moving, amazing series strong 9/10 and I will definitely read the manga in near future.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2017 9:06 AM

Jul 2015
This show is really good. They knew what topic they are tackling and did the justice on this show. Insensitive topic, but when it's well-handled, it becomes an amazing stuff. And Hourou Musuko has all of them. Not a masterpiece but an approximately 8/10 score.
Aug 30, 2017 3:44 PM

Oct 2015
this anime was unique and tried to depict the struggle young people face at a young especially at being different ( transsexuality). At episode 9 I closed my eyes when he went to school as a girl ( don't do it), but overall it was a great anime 9/10. I guess its different for guys hey, I think they suffer the most and this anime kept my mind open ( who said Japanese were homophobic were wrong). I really pray someday people will leave their stupidity and old shit behind and accept the new world ( those who liked this anime are the chosen ones)
lihle808Aug 30, 2017 3:49 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 4, 2018 7:08 AM

Jun 2012
Not a great series nor a bad one, but I really liked the ending. The end seemed fitting (down to earth like the vibe of the series) and satisfyingly more realistic than a simple happy ending for everyone.

I was hoping for more focus on their struggles in society. The anime felt more like friendship/relationship problems revolving around transgender rather than about transgender itself.
But I really liked the pace, the development in the last couple episodes, and especially the ending!
Definitely a unique series due to the theme.

Oct 25, 2018 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this series very much in general. It was interesting to watch something about transgender children, because this is a topic I want to understand, but it's complicated to get behind tbh. But the kids behave so overly mature, this was really unbelievable. That and the love-circle were weird and lower my enjoyment much. I also don't know, if I'm okay with the ending. Still liked the series overall.
removed-userOct 25, 2018 4:40 PM
Feb 17, 2019 8:31 PM

Jun 2015
i really liked this actually, it was interesting to see a perspective of transgender children in japan. asia's not that well known for taking these kinds of things nicely, but this was a fun experience and fun to watch. i'd definitely watch a second season, should one ever be made.
Jul 13, 2019 8:09 PM

Nov 2009
I don't know why people are saying Shu decided to stay male in the end? Shortly before the ending it shows him wishing upon a star that his voice won't change and to please let him become female. He then wishes for something else which we don't see but I figured he was asking for the courage to become a female on his own like Hiroyuki did. Throughout the series when he's asked if he wants to be a girl or just wear girls clothes he always states he wants to be a girl and right at the end he appears on stage in a dress which must have taken a lot of courage given how he was bullied previously. As for stating "it's okay" when his voice changed, I saw that as him maturing and accepting the circumstances as a number of times it was mentioned that he won't remain looking like a girl forever so I figured he'd just accepted that it was going to take time. Can anyone tell me why the common consensus is he decided to stay male?

As for the show overall, I felt it had a slow start but then ended up enjoying it quite a bit. The time skips were a little jarring at times, wasn't sure how much time had passed and some events went unresolved or not mentioned until later. It could've used more episodes. Ending felt a bit anticlimactic but not bad, it's nice he got back together with Anna even if I thought Shu and Takatsuki made a better couple. Not sure whether to score it a 7 or 8.

Feb 23, 2020 11:27 AM

May 2016
Disappointing. Why did he stay with that bitch anna? He obviously should of been with Takatsuki....I was hoping to see more transgender stuff it seemed most of it was just about playing dress up.... They used that word like only 4 times and talked about an operation like once.

Also animation was horrible especially with all the streams online were bad.
would give it a 6 but 7 due to this being the only one of its kind.
Kayle_x_MorganaFeb 23, 2020 11:31 AM
Apr 1, 2020 5:06 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really good anime with an interesting subject, even if it doesn't concern me it was very rewarding. 8/10
Apr 10, 2020 3:25 PM

Jan 2010
I think I finally understand what Wandering Son's is going for. All the main characters have issues with themselves, whether if it's something emotionally or physically. They may have self-image problems, problems fitting into societal norms, problems speaking their minds, and problems accepting others and themselves. However, it's through each other that they find the parts that they're missing or unable to come to terms with. This could be Saori being taken aback by Anna's straightforward personality, or Yoshino admiring Chizuru's aloofness and Yuki's maturity. It's also found in Shuuichi liking Anna through romantic feelings only, seeing as he never really thought about kissing her prior to that conversation with Makoto. It seems like he has a sort of dependence on the girls around him, where he asks for advice regarding his appearance and dealing with his insecurities.

I guess at this point it may be possible to talk about gender and sexual identity, as the show has gone on long enough to start asking sharper questions to itself. None of it is really clear cut, and drawing hard lines in identity is nearly impossible to make everyone happy. In doing so, there's always going to be exceptions and outliers, where aspects of generalized categorizations miss out on people with their own specific issues.

Regarding Wandering Son, each character is clearly a distinct person onto themselves. They exist as they are, and yet not all of them are completely comfortable with who they are. They may be single constructs, but they're incomplete. They feel like they have parts missing to themselves, leading to insecurities, anxieties, and anger towards themselves and others. They see qualities in others that they admire and/or envy, and they may reach out towards or push away others as a result. The closer they stay with each other, the more complete they feel since they can recognize the parts they're missing. However, they can't just absorb or duplicate the parts they're missing. Shuuichi and Yoshino can't suddenly change their physical genders, Makoto can't suddenly gain Shuuichi's looks, and Saori can't suddenly become social and open. Kanako's an interesting case, as she can't quite pull everyone back to being how they once were. Everyone's slowly changing as they're struggling to figure themselves out. They're all confronting challenges in growing up, turning their attention inwards rather than towards each other. That, and the love polygons. Goodness gracious.

If I could praise Wandering Son for anything, it's for doing its characters really well. The drama certainly drags on, but it's intermittent rather than being a consistent pain. The show shifts between charming and comedic moments and the actual dramatic moments with good pacing. There's enough time devoted to the lighter moments so the entire show isn't dragged down by dread and depression. They're all still friends, however awkward they may be, and it's within this tight nit group that they're trying to find themselves. I've seen other shows try this self-exploration bit with the framework of symbolism and metaphor, but I like Wandering Son for being straightforward through the strength of its characters.

Lastly, I agree with Saori. Calling everyone special is lame, but that's a strength of the show. The way people relate to one another is complicated, and it's probably impossible to create a world where everyone can live perfectly in spite of all our differences, but that's okay. No matter what, life still goes on.
Apr 12, 2020 1:47 PM

Dec 2015
Finished rewatching for the first time. And I must say I didn't remember this version of "For You" by Rie Fu to be... well, this boring at the ending of the episodes.

Idk if it was because I keep listening to the full version, but I remember the ED to be so much hype for me back in 2016 when I first watched this anime.
Apr 21, 2020 4:27 AM
Apr 2020
It would be a nice show, if it didn't say the protagonists are trans. It's interesting to see some of the issues trans youth have to face in an anime, but their feelings are so vague. They're young so being confused is kind of expected, but I thought the protagonist would be more troubled.

The last episode is particularly annoying because it looks like Nitori doesn't care anymore about being a girl, as if it was just about not wanting to grow up.
I guess it's fine as a coming of age story, but if you say the characters are trans I want to see it.
Jun 24, 2020 11:08 AM

Dec 2012
i have to admit that girls's clothes are more good compared to boy clothes..boy clothes is too simple and looks boring to watch compared to girls clothes with more variety..
i understand about chiba feeling...i also really like to pick girls clothes in store and made my sister wear it...i really like window shopping and pick girls clothes with my sister but not to the point want to wear it like nitorin tho..
Jan 23, 2021 8:01 AM

Jun 2020
not a fan of how this show ended at all. i was hoping nitorin would make strides in their journey towards acknowledging their dysphoria but their entire personal development was abandoned in the final episode when they basically shrugged their shoulders and told themselves that they were a guy. that’s not how it works.

i was hoping nitorins environment would be accepting at the least. throughout the series i was begging for one of them to call them a girl finally. the corner store dialogue with their father was as close as it got. some of the characters were so fucking weird as well, especially that pigtail bitch who basically fetishized nitorin to the very end

hope i can find an anime that acknowledges trans issues in a better manner instead of forcing a character to tolerate themselves
Jan 26, 2021 10:02 AM
Jan 2021
The first anime i watched that the mc ended up with a supporting character usually it always ended up with the main heroine if only nitori doesnt wear the sailor uniform i think he and anna still in relationship but at the last scene when norita say that he still like anna i was like omg that is the manliest word from this anime that he ever said like really damn and anna just blushed like that i wish they get back together

At the beginning i want to drop this anime because of that chiba lol but after norita and anna get into relationship i start to enjoy this anime more

8/10
Feb 5, 2021 1:23 PM

Jan 2008
A good series until the final episode. Left a sort of not really feeling out of it.

Nitori was struggling to find his/her identity through-out and learning about acceptance and non exception but the ending felt like what was the point?

Nitori and everyone else around them has just pretty much said yeah, fine he's a boy. We all good mate.

Aug 4, 2021 3:36 PM

Sep 2017
Amazing show. Shame it had to awkwardly end here. A lot of ppl seem to be complaining about how they didn't go full trans with Nitori at the end, but do they not realize there is a lot of manga after this... I imagine the anime team tried their best to make the last episode feel at least somewhat conclusive with the large cast, but clearly there is more to be told. Anyway I'm definitely going to check it out.
Nov 28, 2021 4:03 PM

Jul 2008
"I wanna cry for you"
Well yep totally cry for Nittori.
Feelings was really intense on this one, I wish there was a post-generic story of their future.
For sure handling puberty have to be a real hell for Nittori, I wanna see how he would manage it and how his friends (loved Doi) support him/her or not.
Apr 7, 2022 8:00 PM

Jun 2014
Nitori finally told Doi what she really thought of him, however, I don't think that Doi actually hates Nitori. In fact, it's quite possible that Doi is attracted to Nitori.

The ending wasn't perfect, and it's hard to tell if Nitori is still acknowledging that she's a girl, or if she's giving up on it, which isn't the best message to send. I guess that Japan hasn't come to terms with the existence of transgender people, and still thinks that we're either crazy, or a joke. :(

Other than that, the show wasn't horrible, but not great, either.

Feb 21, 2023 2:40 AM

Sep 2018
Still feel this would have been better as a high school anime, instead of focusing on characters so young. I can see this being realistic in that setting, kids that age are far too immature and unaccepting to do what this anime does. Still, the characters were really good, enjoyable series. 8/10. 
Jul 14, 2023 3:37 AM

Feb 2019
やっぱり, I really love Nitori x Anna. The scene where they talked was my favourite this episode, really wished we could've seen more of them together. It's true that Nitori puts to shame a lot of harem protagonists with how bold and straightforward he was with his confession lol and again he showed just how much of a chad he was by proclaiming clearly that he still loves Anna.

Would love to see a story set in an alternate universe where they remained together tbh. And Anna with tears at the end there ;-;

Although one thing I'm not clear was when Anna put emphasis on だった ("Past tense." in the subs), does that mean she now has a new boyfriend or did she say that because they were no longer a couple?

Also, I just read the other comments and a lot of people are saying Anna x Shu are back, is that the conclusion?? If so, I'm so happy ^^

Liked Sarashina too in the series. She was always funny, probably the funniest character in the series.

A pretty good ending. It was an interesting story, to say the least. I think I will be picking up the manga later.
ShikkakkuJul 14, 2023 3:40 AM
Jul 14, 2023 4:02 AM

Sep 2014
Shikkakku said:

Although one thing I'm not clear was when Anna put emphasis on だった ("Past tense." in the subs), does that mean she now has a new boyfriend or did she say that because they were no longer a couple?

Also, I just read the other comments and a lot of people are saying Anna x Shu are back, is that the conclusion?? If so, I'm so happy ^^
It has been a long time since I have watched this show but iirc I interpreted this as Anna being the only person to really accept Shu as a girl. Maybe it was just wishful thinking though.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aversa - Mar 10, 2011

61 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 17, 2011

56 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hannah_Ana - Jan 27, 2011

88 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 13, 2011

259 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 29, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 24, 2011

68 by Baskarite »»
Nov 5, 2023 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.