Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2011 4:41 AM

Jan 2011
Wait where is episode 12? Did the studio run out of money? Or is it going to be a exclusive on the blu-ray?
Apr 1, 2011 4:45 AM

Aug 2010
It was an interesting series but it kind of sputtered at the end imo.
Apr 1, 2011 5:12 AM

Nov 2008
My god.. If only the show had more episodes. The whole thing just feels rushed and so many things are left unexplained or feel half-finished.

I don't even know if the ending was supposed to be happy or sad or bittersweet, it just felt soul-crushing to me. Is new Phryne's personality a fusion of the old one and Nessa's or are they even alternating? The latter would be kind of awkward.

The plot felt lacking and was not concluded in a satisfying way, and the romance part left a lot to be desired.

This show is yet another epitome of missed potential... sigh, there are so few good boy meets girl romance adventures and here I was hoping for a satisfying successor. It was quite good at the start, but became kinda dull along the way.

Sad, so sad..
Apr 1, 2011 5:30 AM

Apr 2009
Fractale started with 5 and ended with 5. It had good moments and a lot of potential, but execution was awful. No amount of pretty art and animation can excuse gaping plot holes, inconsistencies and horrible lack of logic. To me, characters were annoying and the random humor (pervert jokes =___=) was the worst. Some parts dragged and could be completely skipped. Some were only mentioned and then disappeared. I don't mind not seeing Clain's family, but the Fractale system itself? How come they didn't explain it =___=
It seems to me as if they wanted to make this show "deep" while simultaneously "accessible" to all audiences. Aka: some deep meaning to spoon-feed the masses thickly covered with silly romance, stupid jokes and sugary cuteness. :/
Apr 1, 2011 5:40 AM

Aug 2010
I'll take that as an ending. Decent enough but not the best, like the whole series i guess. 7/10 overall.

Nice to see that guy get a stab to the gut, lol.
Apr 1, 2011 5:53 AM

Jan 2009
A good series but should have been a few episodes longer in my opinion. It started well, drifted into the middle with the big change of direction then sprinted to the end without warning. Still I enjoyed it.

Does anyone know if the OP has been released as a single yet?
Apr 1, 2011 5:54 AM

Aug 2009
Now that was one hell of a wasted potential. :/
Several first episodes with the introduction of an interesting premise made me think I'd rate this anime 8, then came the middle part with some utterly annoying aspects and so I lowered the score by 1. However, it was still enjoyable and overall OK. Finally, a fiasco called the last two episodes ensued and made me lower the score yet again and give it 6/10.
The best part of the anime was the ED, I simply love it.

@ManInBlack - yes, the OP/ED single has been released about three weeks ago, I think you can find it on Nipponsei.
metamorphiusApr 1, 2011 6:14 AM
Apr 1, 2011 6:13 AM
Mar 2011
Rodac said: My guess would be that it was some sort of biocomputer with the AI being modeled on the original girl (or downloading her identity into the biocomputer in its entirety). Keep replenishing your supply of Phrynes through the clone farm, and be ready to repeat the process when the original AI degrades sufficiently (700 years). Since Phryne was numbered in the 150,000 series and the archpriestess was in the 140,000's they'd clearly been doing this for quite some time.

If this is the case, then that happy little video was probably the last record of the original girl since dear dad was taking her to the fractale project to be disassembled and uploaded (just as bad as Phryne's father in many ways).

Alabaster was setting charges to make sure that the job was done and the leadership of the temple was destroyed. I think the choice of name for that faction was pretty good, representing a "pure" white (read totally fanatical) ideal. At least Dias had the courage of his convictions--destroy the temple and fractale, don't try and take it over.

Phryne's father may have found a note that indicated just what had caused a sixteen year old to revert to a ten year old personality (sexual abuse). Either his predecessor's weren't able to read between the lines, or were unwilling to go there in the way that he did. I don't think his predecessors even thought of the Phrynes as human judging by the acid bath removal of surplus or misbehaving clones.

I agree, great gaping hole as to how Clain and Phryne/Nessa get back to his house.

As to the virginity check, the upload was supposed to be accomplished by an identical key to the original girl (although environmental events would surely mean there would be minor physical differences with any clone, even if the genetic material was identical).

Biggest hole is the restarting of fractale. Without the temple structure, we know the whole thing will end in another 1000 years anyway (Enri's comment was right on), so it's good to see someone starting to farm again. But since fractale is still functioning, are they just going to be the fourth millenial equivalent of the Amish?

It would be easier to think I was right about Fractale being a biocomputer if Fractale had any personality whatsoever. At no point in the series does Fractale display that it has a mind of its own, or that it is anything other than a regular computer. If they had introduced quirks into the machine that were reminiscent of Nessa (or the original Phryne I guess) the whole thing would have made a bit more sense. Don't get me wrong, it still wouldn't have made any sense why they needed to base Fractale on a girl at all, but at least it would have fit with the story.

I guess we could have been looking at the issue of abuse wrong in Phryne's case. It could have been that the "abuse" wasn't sexual, as much as it was that she was poked and prodded for years until they could figure out how to base Fractale on her (which was a terrible enough process that she created a 10 year old version of herself, named after her stuffed animal). It seems to me like Barrot went through generations of Phryne, trying to come up with the perfect abuse pattern, until he finally settled on a Phryne that was a virgin, but that had been tinkered with extensively (for the development of Fractale). My basis for that is extremely loose though. What kind of bugs me is that they had no way of knowing that she would even work as the key, and there are no 16 year old replacements for her if she failed. You'd think they'd have an army of Phryne's, aged 0-16 (with extermination happening at 17) ready to go, but whatever.

I think Dias made good in this episode. Why he didn't kill Phryne earlier is still a huge logic inconsistency (since he knew she was the key) but he did go through with destroying the temple without any ulterior motives. He did what he said he'd do, and that is pretty respectable. I don't get why they couldn't have fired all of their missiles and their main cannon when the bay doors opened (which worked on the laboratory...) but I guess it's one of those things that just "works" in the sense that it allowed all of the other things to happen (Clain would have been gunned down for sure if the temple guards weren't busy with Alabaster).

I guess Lost Millenium's new job is to figure out how to ween people off Fractale in the next thousand years. It's hard to say if it would be a thousand years though, since there is no temple, and no priestesses to continually update the uhh...firmware? Of the people with terminals (every day with the prayer, and then with the bigger ceremony). So it may be that Fractale won't last nearly as long this time. I'd be worried about humanity figuring out that there is no temple, and going after Phryne (to create another temple/key), but since there won't be a sequel, it doesn't really matter at this point.

I agree completely with others that think an extra 11 or so episodes would have been helpful toward making the plot sensible. I'm not giving the production team a pass (I've seen amazing shows that were six episodes...like FLCL) but they clearly bit off more than they could chew. Oh well, there is always the manga, and the novels, which will hopefully expand on the plot a bit (if the novels ever get translated).
Char0079Apr 1, 2011 6:19 AM
Apr 1, 2011 6:53 AM

Jan 2009
metamorphius said:
@ManInBlack - yes, the OP/ED single has been released about three weeks ago, I think you can find it on Nipponsei.

Many thanks! :)
Apr 1, 2011 7:26 AM

Nov 2008
I loved this anime. I'm actually a fan of slow paced anime's. I have no idea why but I like them. The ending was nice. The fact that it was Phryne's body and Nessa's personality was awesome. I love Nessa, so I liked it. I didn't like the fact that Sunda died, but at least they were all happy.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Apr 1, 2011 7:28 AM
Mar 2009
MoonFox said:
So... basically... almost nothing changed? Except of course the random people who died.
Kids still living alone away from parents/family and living in buildings that don't necessarily exist technically. Oh, and being slaves to a virtual reality system unaware that their god was just a human from several hundred years ago. Not wanting to further their own culture and lives. So yeah... everyone's still a bunch of slaves to virtual reality pretty much. Except for some LM factions I guess probably.

i think of it this way: people are now forced to ween themselves off of fractale instead of just suddenly getting rid of it. they'll have to learn how to do thing by themselves and actually become people again in time. as far as the whole god thing goes, the people never actually found out about the original phryne. i guess you could assume this also marks a shift from organized form of religion to a more naturalistic, earthy/buddist from of religion as they are weened off of fractale.
Apr 1, 2011 7:42 AM
Oct 2010
Agreeing with many here, this had so much potential... oh well...

The ending was somehow sweet, so it wasn't that bad...

Anyway, I felt glad when the pedophile pig got stabbed... seriously, I haven't been this creeped out by a character since Scythe from Requiem for the Phantom...

Btw, I looked up Phryne's name and found something interesting. In Ancient Greece, she was a beautiful, highly educated and kind courtesan, famous for getting naked on a trial...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 1, 2011 8:10 AM
Mar 2011
Ajunky said:
Agreeing with many here, this had so much potential... oh well...

Anyway, I felt glad when the pedophile pig got stabbed... seriously, I haven't been this creeped out by a character since Scythe from Requiem for the Phantom...

Btw, I looked up Phryne's name and found something interesting. In Ancient Greece, she was a beautiful, highly educated and kind courtesan, famous for getting naked on a trial...

I was kind of amused when I found the wikipedia article on Phryne last week. It's clear that the character in the anime is at least loosely based on the Phryne from history, for better or for worse.

I think it's kind of sad that Nessa is gone as a separate entity, but at least Phryne still has her memories. If it had ended with Phryne not remembering Clain, or not being essentially the same (albeit happier), I probably wouldn't be planning on buying the inevitable blu-ray release.
Apr 1, 2011 8:22 AM

Dec 2010
Those last two episodes were awful.
Apr 1, 2011 9:03 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
7/10 Is this anime... ending was so so.. didnt like much the new personality of Phyrine/nessa
Apr 1, 2011 9:17 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty nice ending.
But what I don't get is that girl that woke up, is Phryne or Nessa?
Or Phyrne + Nessa = the real Phyrne(The old Phyrne)
Apr 1, 2011 9:30 AM
Nov 2008
Considering I had pretty much given up on Fractale, that was actually a pretty good ending. I found myself actually caring about what happened again by the end, and I thought the epilogue was above average in its execution. Overall though, my expectations were set really high by the first few episodes, and those expectations were definitely not met. The universe was absolutely fascinating and the production values were through the roof, but the characters weren't great and the plot was underwhelming. It was a good watch I would say, but it had so much potential to be a great one.
Apr 1, 2011 9:57 AM

Jul 2010
fine but not that good. a fine ending for an average series.

Yamamoto failed me here seriously, i have lots of expectations for this show and in the end i just tried my hardest to finish this

anyways, 6/10 for me

i might as well "nitpick" my shows for the upcoming Spring season so i don't get disappointed with what i watch. Gosick, PMMM and Level E are the winners for me this ending Winter season.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 1, 2011 10:04 AM
Mar 2011
So... Clain ends up with a mix of Phryne´s body and Nessa´s personality (or maybe even with "god" + Phryne´s and Nessa´s memories?) while the Fractale system is restarted for the last time. I am glad that we got a happy ending because I was afraid that one of the girls would have to die, but I still feel a bit disappointed. Anyways it was a nice anime but with really low rewatch value.
Apr 1, 2011 10:05 AM
Mar 2011
alpatrose said:
Pretty nice ending.

"Nessa" was basically the 10 year old version of the original Phryne (who created "Nessa" when she was 16, to cope with the traumatic experience of whatever her father did to her to create Fractale). Since the story makes no sense, I can't say exactly what the end result of Nessa and Phryne's merger is, but since that being has Clain's Phryne's body, and her memories, it is safe to say that it is just a happier version of Clain's Phryne, without the burden of whatever her "father" did to her. She's definitely not the original Phryne, or Nessa.

The TL;DR version is: It's the same Phryne as always, except happier.
Apr 1, 2011 10:07 AM

Dec 2010
What I think is funny is that Lost Millennium spent a significant amount of time planning to destroy Fractale, yet the grandfather goes on to say this:

Barrot and Moeran were both terrible characters who were introduced way too late in the plot to have any real purpose. They have Barrot laugh maniacally like a thousand other generic villains. Moeran could have had some real depth if they hadn't used her solely for her little revenge speech.

They go on and on about GOD and THE KEY throughout the story but in the end give a half-assed explanation and try and divert your attention with pretty flowers and a sickly sweet ending. I like how the characters on both sides are so set on their beliefs, but in the end they go "oh well, live and let live!" and everything is perfectly fine.
Apr 1, 2011 10:10 AM

May 2010
An ok ep. About the ending part, it was kinda sad yet satisfying.

This show has the potential coz the concept itself was great but it seemed that the flow of how the story is presented didn't go well.

Might have given this an 8 if it could have been better but it stays at 7.
Apr 1, 2011 10:18 AM

May 2010
A sad yet satisfying ending. It could have been better though.

This show has the potential coz the concept itself is great

but it seemed that the flow of how the story is presented didn't go well.

Guess I'll give this a 7 instead of an 8.
Apr 1, 2011 10:19 AM
Mar 2011
alpatrose said:
Pretty nice ending.

At first I thought she was "god". But it seems that she is the original non-traumatized Phryne, because she obviously has memories of Clain.
Apr 1, 2011 10:25 AM
Mar 2011
Watching the end of episode 11 again, I can't believe Phryne punked Clain (and the viewer). She pulled the old "I don't remember you, and I'm a different person now" gag, before revealing that she was still basically the same Phryne.

I haven't been that shellshocked since the end of Gurren Lagann where
although that lasted forever (since that scene wasn't undone) while Phryne acknowledged Clain in a matter of seconds. Had she really been Nessa, or the original Phryne (from pre-fractale times), I'd have raged.
Char0079Apr 1, 2011 11:13 AM
Apr 1, 2011 10:49 AM

Mar 2009
7/10
Apr 1, 2011 11:14 AM
Jun 2008
What the F**k was that?

The only other series I've seen suddenly dive off a cliff like that in the last episodes is Occult Academy (suddenly?). I never expected to be burned like that by Noitamina.

What annoys me the most is the huuuge potential of the first few episodes. I had this down as the best until Madoka picked up and then 2nd from then on. Now I feel like a fool.

Thank you Noitamina for wasting my time with Fractale. I need to reevaluate our relationship.

*Sobs to himself and wanders off to mend a broken heart*
Apr 1, 2011 11:19 AM

Dec 2010
Rob3rt said:

At first I thought she was "god". But it seems that she is the original non-traumatized Phryne, because she obviously has memories of Clain.

She met Clain long after being used for Fractale.
Apr 1, 2011 11:56 AM
Dec 2007
YGH said:
Rob3rt said:

She met Clain long after being used for Fractale.
Many peoplnen are using the whole memories of Clain thing and how she says "I love you" to him to base their idea that she's the same Phryne but I beg to differ. I think she's a merge of both Phryne and Nessa which is why she has the chipper personality. Don't forget Nessa also liked Clain. Besides, once their minds merged together, I don't think we can't consider her the same anymore. She's a new entity.

Apr 1, 2011 12:13 PM

Nov 2010
Best quality and story this Winter 2011 season imo

Overall: 8/10
Story: 9/10
Character 8/10
Art: 8/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Apr 1, 2011 12:23 PM

Oct 2010
I really enjoy this.. even it was suppose to be a good ending i felt sad for some reason.. maybe it was the song.
9/10 - They really put together an enjoyable story in 11 ep
Please no season two... this was excellent as is
huh?
Apr 1, 2011 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
So, what happened to Sunda? He died, right? If so, then I'm angry. My favorite character gets killed again...
And Clain's parents still haven't returned? They don't really care about their son, it seems.
Apr 1, 2011 12:29 PM

Jun 2009
I don’t know what to say, it disappointed me. The ending wasn’t what I would’ve wanted; it barely gave any “closure” in the sense of the change most were looking for. Basically everything stayed the same.

I’d thought it could get better; I haven’t been exactly fond of Fractale since the beginning. But the inconsistencies, lack of overall direction and sudden plot changes lightly developed for all the data –pun intended— that has been managed in Fractale’s world made me retract from my initial thought of possible improvement.

I’m not really satisfied; at the end I felt it didn’t have a point. And the thing that annoyed me the most was the card up their sleeve trick they used to try to make sense out of the whole deal: what the hell is “God” supposed to be? How can you use a genetically identical girl and a separate “spirit” in child-version of said individual and join them to make a “key” such as the ancient “God” was?

Really, how do you pretend using another plot twist as last resort at the very last moment of the show can make it good and sort out every plot hole?

At this point, I still don’t know what Fractale’s logic is. Is it magic, science or purely non-sense? I’m rooting for the last option; I just can’t make sense of it.

To me, Fractale has been a rollercoaster. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly down. Sometimes epic episodes with great action and packed with plot development and afterwards light-hearted folk-ish approach with a slice-of-life feeling. I can’t feel the balance.

A final 7 out of 10, somehow because I want to be generous. Although I may change the score.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Apr 1, 2011 12:32 PM

Jul 2010
The entire show was amazingly original. Yeah, it had its problems, but I was still extremely impressed and loved the ending.
This and Madoka Magica have to be my favorite shows this season.
9/10.
Apr 1, 2011 1:37 PM

Oct 2009
The ending was pretty good, but the show overall is just a big disappointment for me. Characters were too annoying, stupid fanservice everywhere, and the stupid stuff with its director left a bad taste in my mouth.

I did like the Sally Gardens song though. I'll give this show a 7/10.
Apr 1, 2011 1:50 PM

May 2008
The ending was a little weird but I liked it.
But I didn't like that Sunda died :/

7/10 for me~
Apr 1, 2011 2:55 PM

Mar 2008
A "meh" ending. 7/10
Apr 1, 2011 2:58 PM

Nov 2007
When the series started, I actually hoped Yamakan would pull it of: make an inovative anime. Not that I like his drama-queen statements, but I agree with the man that it gets harder and harder to find real quality in between the ever increasing amount of fanservice and moefluff.
The start of the series was so promising: lovely animation and characters with potential.
The setting was interesting, with 2 opposing parties and Clain in the middle. I had some problems with Clain being so bland, but I figured that was deliberate, as he was raised by robots and lacked human interaction.
Problem is that at the end of the series, I'm still not sure if that was indeed the case. Clain wasn't a typical Fractal user, and aside from some 'victims of the system' we never had to chance to compare him to other users. Next to the LM members his lack of initiative is blatantly obvious. The only thing he does on his own in the entire series, is go after Phryne when she goes back to the temple in ep 9. Even in the final ep, Enri has to tell him to go find Phryne and Nessa.
Maybe he's an example of how people are going to learn to live without the system?

At least I'm assuming they're gonna have to learn to live without it, as the temple was destroyed. Grandpa hinted at LM's role of helping people along with that.
Major thing is ofcourse: why the hell did LM go from 'let's show people it's possible to live without Fractale' to 'let's destroy the temple and kill the members'.
And what really pissed me off, was Sunda admitting he didn't know which side was right either, but sacrificed himself anyway. I hate senseless deaths like that.

And than the Fractale system: so much to explore, so little shown. Instead of exploring that system, they went for an obligatory villain, and thus cheapened the story.
Phryne's conclusion that the original Phryne was a happy girl who accepted the twisted world, made no sense at all. Original Phryne was so tormented, that she felt the need to fled in the shape of a 10 year old girl. And yet she was the key to the entire system. With that in mind, it suddenly makes sense that the Fractale system failed in the department of human relationships. She loved love, but the only love she knew, was for her stuffed animal Nessa. What she created was a shallow world.
There's a big differrence with Clain's Phryne, despite her being tormented by a 'father' as well. Claine really loved her, and she learned to love him back. And so her turning into the new key will probably lead to a change.

Now if they had focused more on that, the series would've been a lot better imo. Instead they wasted precious time on fluff (ep 2) and lame repetitive jokes. Missed opportunity indeed. 7/10
Apr 1, 2011 3:02 PM

Aug 2007
I really want to know if the manga will make more sense than that.
Downgrading from 7/10 to 5,5/10.
GladiusApr 1, 2011 3:09 PM
Apr 1, 2011 3:04 PM
Oct 2009
so...what exactly was original Phryne's role in the Fractale system? what an arbitrary choice of God.

show had potential to be great but got too bogged down in its own loves love shit (seriously what was the point of even bringing up original Phryne? a twist that made no sense and had no place) to take off. solid though.
Apr 1, 2011 3:12 PM

Dec 2010
theamato said:
so...what exactly was original Phryne's role in the Fractale system? what an arbitrary choice of God.

show had potential to be great but got too bogged down in its own loves love shit (seriously what was the point of even bringing up original Phryne? a twist that made no sense and had no place) to take off. solid though.

I feel like the more they tried to explain things the worse it got.
Apr 1, 2011 3:50 PM

Dec 2010
We now know very well that a terribly executed anime can TORTURE people.

What the hell is with the useless, plain, always-being-kicked-around-yet-not-really-fighting-back Clain?

What the hell is with the bad attitude of and the utterly annoying, simply-slapping-people Phyrne? (It's too far-fetched even for what she had been through in the temple, whatever she had been through. She didn't have to be that annoying if she even knew how to get out of the temple, and be exposed to outside life, which was what happened in the whole show. But the creators just had to make her annoying.)

What the hell is with the stupid and annoying attitude of Enri with her simply-punching-and-slapping-people behaviour?! I haven't even mentioned the stupid and dry pervert joke yet.

What the hell is with all the inconsistencies as all the others here have pointed out??! It utterly destroyed everything for me. Great.

Seriously, what the hell.

I love this show for its music and art, and ONLY music and art I love. Every other thing is terrible. Oh, I also love Nessa.
So, I don't even know how to rate this... this...... whatever this is.
Apr 1, 2011 4:25 PM
Apr 2010
I think this anime is a little bit like "Inception" in the way that the ending isn't clear and we have to decide for ourselves what to believe. I believe that it was Phryne who took on Nessa's voice because she did say, "I'm so happy now" when she woke up. This led me to believe that because of Clain's confession, she became happy like her original "God" form
Apr 1, 2011 4:52 PM
Mar 2011
YGH said:
theamato said:

I feel like the more they tried to explain things the worse it got.

I couldn't agree more. The explanation offered only helped to reinforce my notion that they had no idea what they were doing with the plot.

Leon-gun said: Many peoplnen are using the whole memories of Clain thing and how she says "I love you" to him to base their idea that she's the same Phryne but I beg to differ. I think she's a merge of both Phryne and Nessa which is why she has the chipper personality. Don't forget Nessa also liked Clain. Besides, once their minds merged together, I don't think we can't consider her the same anymore. She's a new entity.

My interpretation is that Nessa essentially got rid of the pain and sadness that had kept Phryne from being happy, and that Nessa no longer exists. I think Clain was crying because he realized that "his" Phryne was still there, albeit in a happier version. All of her memories, and emotions toward him remained, despite becoming one with Nessa. I guess it wouldn't be right to call her the "same" in the sense that she's been freed from her traumas, but she is definitely the "same" in the sense that she's the same person...if that makes any sense.

I'm with a lot of you in my feeling that this show squandered so much promise over the course of 11 episodes. The universe of Fractale remains extremely interesting to me, with a ton of questions about how the system was created, how it became a religion, how everyone was made to use Fractale (through force?), etc. If someone put out a thousand page novel about the creation of Fractale, I'd probably read it. Having said that, nothing in the actual anime lives up to any of that promise. Once the fantastical first half of the show ends, and we start learning things about Fractale, the logic of the show goes completely to hell, and never recovers. The plot holes are wide enough to drive a truck through, and the logic gaps are so glaring that anyone should be able to see them.

Oh well, by next week the next season will have begun, and Fractale will go on the pile of mostly forgotten shows alongside so many others that just couldn't quite reach into the realm of the anime classics. For now though, I can still sit and wonder which person on the production staff is responsible for the show not making any sense.
Apr 1, 2011 5:02 PM

Sep 2010
Nice ending. Kinda expected it.
Apr 1, 2011 5:02 PM

Jun 2007
Char0079 said:
I...I don't even know where to start. I'm glad that the ending was happy, and it ended the way I figured (with fractale rebooting, but with the catch that humans would have a choice, or that it couldn't re-re-boot) but....what?

What the heck is "God"? I don't even.... They modeled Fractale on a 16 year old girl? What does that even mean? It doesn't make any sense. How do you model a computer on a girl? Is it a biocomputer? That never comes up at any point... and at that point, I'm pretty much inserting my own fiction into the story where it doesn't exist.

Let me just... make a list of inconsistancies and oddities:

- Alabaster invaded with ground troops, when they have a huge cannon and a ton of missiles they could have used instead. For what purpose? They clearly used their weapons, because the temple was destroyed.
- Her "father" said that he was able to figure out the secret of the "key", but that he understood why his predecessors couldn't. What does that mean? There is absolutely no explanation for that. Did he find "ye shall abuse Phryne" in that book? Ugg.
- The temple is destroyed, and Clain, Nessa, and Phryne are out in space (taken up by a space elevator). How the hell do they get back to earth?

I'm just going to stop the inconsistencies list there, because my head is starting to hurt.

Other than the three things above, I'm still wondering what happened to Clain's family. His parents are never shown again (his father is understandable because he's out of Fractale's range, but where is his mother? They show the family dog...).

Oh well, at least they gave us a happy ending, and at least Phryne didn't get raped in some sort of ceremony (though we're now 100% certain she was abused, if not through rape, alongside the original Phryne). Actually, thinking about it, other things in previous episodes don't make sense. What the heck was her "father" and those doctors checking on the ship in one of the episodes? The table she was on had stirrups, and his line of "you know what we are checking" made an obvious inference to checking to see if she was still a virgin. That never comes up in the final episode though so.... I don't even care anymore. It's like two different studios made Fractale, and only made a cursory effort to share notes. Combined with Nessa, all of the pain/torment/etc is gone anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

With no chance of a sequel (the ratings were in the toilet) I guess the ending was as good as I could have hoped for. Solid 8/10 from me overall, with the first half of the series weighted closer toward 10, and the second half (after the logic of the series went to hell) closer to a 7. If the novels ever get translated, I hope they make more sense.

I'm pretty sure Fractale itself (whatever it may really be) wasn't based off the girl's genes but more so on the need of having a female with no ill thoughts towards the word she lives in to play "god" and be integrated into the system. The video of "God" Phryne kind of sheds some light on this when she says "They're looking for girls for this Fratale thing." and Normal Phryne says 'she was able to accept her own world..bla bla'.

Nessa is the split personality of Phryne. I guess we can consider it her soul. In reality it's really just the side of Phrynet that pretends to be the imaginary rabbit friend.

Her "Father" figured out that God Phryne was not really 10 and that past predecessors where assuming that both the memories (nessa) and the body (Phryne) had to be 10 in order to form the key. The whole wanting to rape her thing was his own twisted fun that didn't really have any relevance to the story in my opinion...at least not that they had time to explain.

I have a feeling the reason for all the inconsistencies was because the series' ratings bombed in Japan and they cut it short. You can tell they could have easily pulled off a 24 or even 51 episode series just by the pace of the story at the beginning. The story's pace changed dramatically and it didn't leave time to tie up all the loose ends.
Apr 1, 2011 5:11 PM

Nov 2008
Nice end, with some explanation about Fractale System. Liked the series.

8/10
Apr 1, 2011 5:42 PM

Jul 2009
Last episode wasn't that great. So basically they wanted to create a body for the soul for "God" ...? What is she anyways, just this random girl? Besides, how do you make an elevator like that go up into space?! If the temple was destroyed HOW DID THEY GET BACK DOWN?! AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! >_<

Anyways. The art was pretty much the only good thing for me. I liked the minor characters but Phryne and Clain ... ugh! They were both SO annoying >_< Plot didn't make very much sense AT ALL. I guess the music was good though ...
To be honest I expected much more from this, but I was really disappointed. I guess I'll give it a 7/10
Apr 1, 2011 5:46 PM

Sep 2009
narator91 said:
Good series but it feels like so much was left out and that really annoys me.
I feel the same way. This show needed to be at least 26 episodes long. I enjoyed the show, but I think I will need to check out the source material.
Apr 1, 2011 6:23 PM

Apr 2009
I liked this episode a lot. I thought it was a pretty good ending to a pretty good show.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fractale Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jan 20, 2011

137 by ka7eMARU »»
Feb 6, 2023 7:29 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DL21 - Feb 24, 2011

94 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Angy- - Feb 17, 2011

78 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 7:53 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

confusedmuse - Mar 17, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 6:39 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 2:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.