Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2011 2:23 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After watching the movies in order, I still prefer the second movie concerning the DBZ fighting spirit. Still this movie was pretty OK, kinda like a sequel to the fifth movie, with Cooler returning even more badass, However there was no real final battle.

I watched it subbed.
Jul 14, 2011 5:23 PM

Aug 2010
I enjoyed the film, but I think the last one was better. This one had more boring scenes, and the previous film had better fights. In this film, one of the fights, you literally couldn't see Goku or Cooler at all because they were teleporting all over.

Also, Vegeta looked sooooo bad. My friend would hate them.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 30, 2012 4:06 AM

Nov 2011
Yea not as big of a fan of this one compared to the last one.
Mar 29, 2013 4:04 AM

Apr 2010
I agree it's nood good as the first Cooler movie, but I liked the sci-fi themes such as metal body, robots, clones and futuristic locations.
Also I never get tired of seeing Goku and Vegeta fight together. 7/10.
Apr 9, 2013 5:44 PM

Feb 2010
*Metal Cooler is finally defeated*
Goku: See! We can do it if we work together.
*A thousand Metal Coolers show up*
Goku: Oh, it was nice knowing you Vegeta

ROFLMAO. That part was so frikking funny.

I myself liked this one better than movie 5, this just happened to have a better action and more comedy. Dragon Ball basically consists of humor and action, the last movie had poor action and zero comedy. This one in the other hand had pretty good fights and was pretty funny.

But that whole computer thing made the fight seem actually meaningless. Okay, I didn't expect Goku and Vegeta to figure out anything too complex for a toaster to think through but finally defeating Cooler in all-out battle just for a thousand copies to show up in the horizon was kinda lame.

The last fight was a turn-off though and unnecessary.

7/10 - Good
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Oct 20, 2013 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
I really preferred the previous movie, mainly for the part where Goku turns Super Saiyan, I thought that was really good, and I tend to rewatch it often.
Nov 27, 2013 12:45 PM

May 2012
The previous one was better in my opinion but this one sure brought out an interesting concept as well, the beginning especially was quite impressive! Lets see what the next movie has to offer us!
Dec 28, 2013 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
Hmm, I dunno about this movie. I thought it was alright. The concepts introduced/raised by the Big Gette Star of a sentient computer chip are certainly interesting but they aren't original. There were a few amusing scenes smattered about, mainly centered around Oolong/Yajirobe/Roshi and the Guide Robo. Also, the scene where Vegeta and Goku were facing the thousand+ Meta-Coolers was pretty funny "Well, nice knowing you Vegeta" -- "Oh shut up". Overall, it was a bit of a letdown compared to the last few movies. Still no movie capable of getting to a rating of 6. Man.

Quoting what I posted last movie.

Tyestor said:
There's a list on Kanzenshuu that shows where each movie takes place and where you can watch them while watching DBZ despite the fact that all the DBZ movies technically take place in an alternate universe. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573
Feb 26, 2014 4:59 AM

Jan 2013
It seems like these 2 take part after Trunks defeats Freeza. In any case Dende is not Kami of Earth in the series xD (or at least not up to ep 166). Though in my opinion Coola died in a lame way xD, just shows how weak he was :P.
8/10.
Apr 8, 2014 1:10 PM

Oct 2009
ao_no_exo said:
It seems like these 2 take part after Trunks defeats Freeza. In any case Dende is not Kami of Earth in the series xD (or at least not up to ep 166).

Trunks defeats Freeza in episode 120. Dende becomes new Kami-sama only in episode 173, even Kami-sama and Piccolo united only in episode 141. And this film came out between episodes 130 and 131, and the previous one between episodes 99 and 100.

Except for the little bit comedy, this film was meh - too much clique
SerhiykoApr 8, 2014 1:23 PM
Jul 18, 2016 4:59 PM

Feb 2016
Another decent movie, didn't really feel all that action-packed for my tastes though. Just some basic fighting to output strength, no grand brawl.

So, Vegeta and his pride (I guess) made him follow Goku :P

Nice getting to see New Namek alongside seeing the Namekians once again.

Noticed near the end, in the 'finale' segment. Goku and Vegeta were laid out flat from exhaustion. Goku gets up, Cooler and him have their verbal bout and then Goku go SSJ for the final blow. During the camera angling, I noticed... even though Vegeta was knocked out cold still (Far as we knew...) he somehow went SSJ. That's... something lol. Maybe he had a nightmare and he ended up transitioning in his semi-unconscious state.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jul 20, 2016 2:24 PM

Sep 2013
I always groan when a storyline has an nearly-omnipotent bad guy try to absorb the good guy's power and ends up not able to handle it. I've seen this too man times in comics and anime. Oh well, at least we're done with Cooler.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 25, 2020 12:35 PM

Nov 2016
Didn't age well for me, felt pretty pointless and brought nothing new to the table.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 9, 2020 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
Well, the idea of the Z fighters fighting an entire army is pretty interesting, I will give them that. As far as I recall, this sort of dangerous assembly of a legion hasn't happened in the series until now. I also liked the nostalgic sci-fi theme I couldn't help but feel in some instances in the movie. Also, I fancied the odd team-up of Goku and Vegeta. Despite their clashing personalities, they make a satisfactory team. Unfortunately, that's all as far as praiseworthy comments go for me. The concept of a seemingly unvanquishable opponent due to advanced technology that can rival two Super Saiyans at once and out of nowhere felt too coincidental, too cliche. Poorly handled, it was. Not to mention the BGM wasn't anything noteworthy. Too plain to complement. It is safe to say that I preferred the prequel a lot more.

Another thing I noticed is the absolute inconsistency this movie has going for itself. Dente is the new Guardian of Earth? Vegeta is a Super Saiyan now? Piccolo fused with Kami and became one? The series hasn't reached any of the aftermentioned points. This film sure does quite the fascinating job of spoiling major events that are yet to come in the series, how unfortunate.

I wonder why Master Roshi, Yajirobe, and Oolong decided to tag along for the ride when they usually prefer to stay out of the action. It did provide some amusement, though. Regardless, all in all, I give this film a 5/10.
removed-userAug 9, 2020 3:29 PM
Oct 6, 2020 6:10 AM
May 2019
Dare I say yet another mediocre movie? Well, unfortunately, that's the truth. Especially, considering how this movie did major changes to things that are yet to come in the actual series. Well, at least Vegeta got his wish fulfilled in this movie and actually became a super saiyan for once.
Oct 2, 2021 7:44 AM

Nov 2017
I did enjoy this movie, but it's hard to make a sequel that surpasses its predecessor. There were some animation goofs, but overall this was a nice effort. It was also Vegeta's film debut!~

I liked Meta Cooler's design and the scene with all the Meta Coolers inspired a moment in the Dragon Ball Super manga so that's neat!

&++ my word, the English dub voice acting is superb!

Cooler: It's just as I told you from the start, you can't win!

Goku: Even if that's true, every breath in my body will be spent trying!

Now that Goku line is inspiring as heck! :-)
Jun 7, 2022 10:45 AM

Nov 2010
So that's where Vegeta was. It seems he's just wandering in space in this timeline.

Meta Cooler is also cool(no pun intended). I wish he could transform though.

I'd give it a 6. I didn't like the way they beat Cooler. Just overloading him was lame. I guess the writers ran out of idea how to beat Cooler. If you think about it, that was an unwinnable scenario for Goku and Vegeta. Plus 1 for the fights. Lots of action from start to finish. 7/10
Oct 12, 2023 6:05 AM

Nov 2012
metal cooler used to be my fav of the Z movies, I'm not sure I still like it as much as I did then when I watched it back in the day, but defo still a solid one and one of the best Z movies
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Nov 28, 2023 6:17 PM

Apr 2021
At first it was difficult to defeat those men tirelessly, although there were thousands of them.

Kuririn always getting beat up xD.

Defeating the enemy was very simple and quick. 7/10
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.