Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 3, 2014 10:34 PM

May 2013
That was some pretty great stuff storywise. Felt much longer than it actually was.
Sep 22, 2014 4:20 AM

Aug 2013
This short film was very well done with the portrayal of Minosuke and his family being very enjoyable to watch.
The progression and time-skips were all well-paced, allowing it to be quite heartbreaking to see the protagonist's struggles.

It was not shown, but I too want to know what he began selling instead of gas lamps afterwards.
Dec 11, 2014 1:04 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, didn't expect this to be pretty deep. Loved the cinemography, colours and scenery (I even took a few screenshots). Good use of it's limited time too.

Huge props to Kamiya Hiroshi. Never expected him to voice that kind of character.

Put together my favourite screencaps:
MayukaDec 11, 2014 1:19 PM
Jan 26, 2015 12:22 AM

Jul 2012
This was a nice short ^^

I wonder what he ended up selling instead to keep his family's livelihood.
Feb 17, 2015 7:04 AM

Nov 2011
MVP

Telecom Animation Film
They know how to animate
Apr 20, 2015 1:42 PM

Oct 2012
For a short movie this was just great.

In those 25 minutes they delved deep in their own history and told the tale how new age replaced the old one. I also remembered all those people who were losing their jobs due to machines in later era.

One lamp that lead to beautiful tale that became part of Japan history, that's what this movie is.

8/10 Great short. If anything it would be good to know what oji-san was selling after those lamps.
Apr 20, 2015 2:43 PM
Apr 2015
I like it. Very good line story.
May 14, 2015 8:49 AM

Mar 2015
That was beautiful.
Amazing scenary and really sentimental story.
Felt like a Mushishi story just a bit different :D
Really magnificent.
May 14, 2015 5:15 PM

Feb 2015
Great it was extremely good for 20 minutes I wished it said what he sold after or did I miss it?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2015 3:14 AM

Jan 2015
That. was. Beautiful.

I was like watching a Natsume's Book of Friends episode without Takashi and Nyanko Sensei or a Mushishi episode without Ginko
The art and scenery was gorgeously beautiful
and the concept of time and technological advancement was magnificently portrayed
It was a magical experience indeed
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 15, 2015 3:19 PM
Nov 2014
Good movie, 7/10.
May 17, 2015 3:04 PM

Mar 2015
That was absolutely beautiful, when they zoomed in to the picture of his wife I just can't. ;_;
Aug 12, 2015 5:30 PM

Jun 2012
Rouzhan said:
That was absolutely beautiful, when they zoomed in to the picture of his wife I just can't. ;_;

Yeah that moment was feelsy for me too.
The young animator projects are mostly trash but theres an occasional good one like this. Very happy that I gave this a chance.
Oct 17, 2015 5:31 AM

Mar 2011
I didn't expect that it would be so good. I love hidden gems.
Nov 14, 2015 11:55 PM

Dec 2014
a common struggle that every generation must face and accept it..for example people(including me) getting nostalgic about NES games or Gameboy whenever they witness today's gaming technology..

Nov 21, 2015 5:53 AM

Jan 2014
Love it. A heartwarming and nostalgic story. The art was beautiful and the animation gave a cozy feel. I wonder what he sold in the end though...
Aug 10, 2016 3:18 PM

Sep 2013
Well spent 20 min, liked it quite a bit.
Dec 14, 2016 6:22 PM

May 2015
Good weste of time. :)

8/10. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 1, 2017 6:56 AM

Apr 2016
I love this kind of story but they forced the drama to a point it seems irrational.

You have a guy who made a living embracing a new technology and 10 years later this same guy is not able to see all the business opportunities a newer technology could offer? It's like it's not the same character. They turned someone who is pretty clever with a can-do mentality into a complete moron, who is even ready to burn a house out of misguided despair and hatred.

Too bad, it could have been a 10 for me but the writing in the second half was simply bad. Glad it ended well though which makes more sense with the original personality of the character.
Apr 24, 2017 10:50 AM

Jun 2011
Was pretty good, could've been better but the whole thing with him overreacting over being afraid of losing his source of income could've been portrayed much better. Dude was shaking in his blanket in the middle of the night and was about to light fire under someone's house.

Also didn't really like Kamiya Hiroshi in that role.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2017 3:54 AM

May 2010
Lol people who think this isn't believable need to go watch more stuff. It flowed really well and was realistic. I liked it. 8/10
Oct 2, 2017 3:54 AM

May 2010
Lol people who think this isn't believable need to go watch more stuff. It flowed really well and was realistic. I liked it. 8/10
Oct 2, 2017 3:55 AM

May 2010
Dec 23, 2017 2:10 PM

Oct 2015
I feel for Minosuke, sometimes technology can be a curse and in his case destroyed his livelihood.
I think this was fine in my view and not that much lesson learned.

Any its a 6/10 from and the art is basic from what I've seen.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 21, 2018 7:32 AM

Jan 2013
I felt very sad when they showed his wife dead at the end...

7/10
Feb 20, 2019 5:24 AM

Aug 2017
Hey, it was ok. A bit boring in the first five minutes but the rest was fine. Second half was silly with the attempted arson but nevermind. The technological progress is inevitable.

6/10 for the anime.
NurguburuFeb 20, 2019 5:34 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 3, 2019 10:33 AM

Jul 2017
I really liked this except, as others have mentioned, the guy trying to burn down a house. That part felt over-the-top, but I think it could have been pulled off better in a different way. It was nice to see how he mellowed out over time.
Jul 16, 2019 1:29 AM

Nov 2011
I am not sure if the scene where he was trying to burn the house is really that unrealistic, human can make mistakes you know. But that scene is certainly needed for him to remembering again that he also thought that "old technologies have weakness", this scene is a reminder for earlier scene in the start. I know that is a little dramatic, but of course because this is a drama.

This movie is really good and more important, have a strong message ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 15, 2019 11:37 AM
Apr 2016
Very nice little story, it has very good animation in some parts and the story is surprisingly touching, i loved it.
Apr 16, 2020 9:49 PM

Aug 2015
That anger towards the progression of technology while he himself was enamored by it when he was small. Guess that's what happens when you grow older and you've built your entire life around an older concept.
I don't think I was supposed to find that overreaction funny, but I did.
May 14, 2020 4:19 AM

Mar 2020
Good stuff. The 'reminiscing grandpa' trope was well on display here, but it was executed nicely so I'm not really bothered by it.
I enjoyed how this short represented a vicious cycle to modernity, and how future generations hold the same ignorant optimism as those which came before. The way this idea was represented, however, felt quite telegraphed and erratic. Minosuke didn't respond to the introduction of electricity in a particularly rational way. While a lamp doesn't hold a candle to the efficiency of streetlamps, it makes up for it by being portable, so there's still a selling point. Minosuke, however, responded like you could just swipe up on some technological device and press a button to generate an instant flashlight.
Aug 8, 2020 2:28 AM
Oct 2018
Anyone know where to watch this online?
Dec 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Aug 2017
Hearing Kamiya Hiroshi was a pleasure

What was Setsu doing with that stone before Minosuke left? Is it some good luck charm?

That moment when Minosuke realized that progress has left him behind almost made me watery eyed :D

I expected a fire to happen, but luckily it didn't.

Anyway, beautiful ending. I wonder if Minosuke noticed his wife by the river (probably yes)
St0rmbladeDec 15, 2020 6:58 AM
Jan 8, 2022 6:59 AM

Jul 2021
This was good short movie, enjoyed every minute of it. It was interesting and kept my attention.The OST was nice, animation was pretty nice too.

It's a story about a young boy who started a lamp business but in the modern era the lamps were of not much use because of electricity, we see the boy who is now grown up and married come to face the reality that lamps is old technology now and everyone needs to move on to electricity.

It was fun and nice. Some parts were quite wholesome like villagers giving food to MC while he was travelling and stuff. There were some emotional moments too, they could have been done better, I felt that it was sad but not sad enough to make me teary-eyed and that says something as I'm the biggest cry baby I know, even a generic shounen anime brings tears in my eyes but this wasn't able to. The story was brilliantly portryed otherwise so just deducting 2 points. Solid 8/10.
TsutanaiFuunJan 8, 2022 7:04 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 6, 2022 7:57 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Blockbusters, VHS, and Dial up
張大です for 張大勇督察
Nov 5, 2022 7:19 PM
Jul 2020
I really like this type of anime, rural anime is quite reminiscent of my childhood.

May 7, 2023 1:35 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wow, this was something. I felt the pain of the lamp vendor who committed most of his young life to bringing light to the village he grew up in. While I am glad that we get to live in modernized cities that benefit the general population, I also thought about the artisans and craftspeople who have shuttered their businesses due to innovation. Though sadly, in order to move forward, the things we use (including our mindset and traditional ways of thinking) have to evolve as well. 

I know the environment isn't discussed in this piece, but I hope that as we develop technologies that benefit the people, we also put the environment in mind.
Nov 21, 2023 8:47 AM

Nov 2021
it was beautiful episode, the art style kind of reminds me natsume yuujinchou,.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.