MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

MADHOUSE's Former Manager Says Domination of Fansubs and 3D Anime Puts Anime in Crisis
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» MADHOUSE's Former Manager Says Domination of Fansubs and 3D Anime Puts Anime in Crisis

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
03-28-11, 8:45 AM

According to ASCII.jp, Masuda Hiromichi, the former executive director of Madhouse Studios, said that fansubs and the shift of the worldwide trend toward 3D anime have become the major obstacles for Japanese anime producers to establish a business model outside of Japan.

1. Even Naruto cannot make money
The most successful case of exported anime has been Pocket Monster. It made huge sales in the early 2000s however most of the profits were from character goods and games. As for Naruto's case, the main merchandise is video media, but most people are just satisfied with watching free videos and never spend money on the DVDs. The popularity of Japanese anime has continued to rise, but overseas sales of anime in 2009 dropped by 51% compared to 2006.

2. Small-sized producers are helpless against fansubs
It's impossible to carry out a thorough legal action against unauthorized streaming and file sharing. The yearly sales of a major Japanese anime company are almost equal to Walt Disney's yearly expenses on anti-piracy measures.

3. Cooperation with Crunchyroll didn't work well
We did try to go along with fansub groups by making a contract with Crunchyroll. We had expected Crunchyroll to take actions against unauthorized sharing but they couldn't. They are also a small-sized company like us. Many of the titles are simply incompatible with the simulcast because the production of each TV episode usually completes just before the airing time in Japan.

4. "Fansub as free publicity" is unreal
There is an idea that Japanese anime producers can take fansubs as free PR methods and can make money by selling goods instead of DVDs, however it's not such a simple business to sell official goods overseas. The license contracts and the establishment of the sales channels take more time and energy than the sales of video media do. In the meantime, pirated goods appear and dominate. Moreover, the goods market for the core-fan-oriented anime is way smaller than that of kids' anime. We have to rely on the video media business, which without a doubt conflicts with the free fansubs.

5. 2D anime is getting obsolete
Hollywood has fully adopted 3D anime technology. The demand for 2D anime won't grow anymore. The mass-production of 3D anime is no match for the inefficient production of 2D anime.

Source: ASCII
Modified by Naruleach, 03-28-11, 4:18 PM

03-28-11, 8:49 AM

I don't buy naruto, because most episodes suck hard. When the show finishes, I might buy the good ones.

Before that happens though it has to be for sale where I live. Can't buy it if there is no place to buy it from.

03-28-11, 8:50 AM

Fansubs = anime in crisis? It's soo old...

03-28-11, 8:58 AM

The only thing I agree on is that 3D is overwhelming 2D

03-28-11, 8:59 AM

i prefer official anime merchandise over DVDs/BD, I may not want to rewatch an anime again but I certainly will buy the soundtracks if I like the music and/or artist and if I like an anime, there's a 99-100 percent chance that there's a character I like so I want to buy goods of that specific character or characters. Also, the problem with finding Japanese complete collections of anime I like is a chore and most of the time the complete collection doesn't exist. As for 3D anime, someone is being seriously butthurt, there aren't that many 3D anime out there, I will get the OVA of Baby Princess though because like it's predecessor Sister Princess, I would be more likely to rewatch it.

03-28-11, 9:01 AM

well just produced those worthy of purchase, people don't buy and just rely on torrents and such bec. the quality sucks and they'd be wasting their money for it, especially Naruto.,it's not even worth watching in 720p. (look at Kara no Kyoukai, it's a huge success even overseas,even though some say the blu-ray have "upscale" quality, the fact that people outside of Japan bought it meant that the people really liked the series and find the show worthy of purchase)

anyways, hope the anime industry prolongs, i can't live w/o anime, though we don't buy DVDs and rely only on downloads but we buy anime character figures and such,straightly ordered from Japan, i think it does help w/ the franchise, even though a little ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.

03-28-11, 9:04 AM

That's quite a jump between years there. =/

03-28-11, 9:08 AM

... but I don't buy american DVDs or Japanese.. I don't like re-watching and they cost too much (Plus I do not want to pay for dubs). I would rather just quit anime, mostly. I think they need a different business model. . .

Also, 3d is shit.

03-28-11, 9:10 AM

There is NO 3D anime.

03-28-11, 9:10 AM

Dropping fansubs = 90% of loss in oversea sales

its like saying "You mudabiatches go learn some japanese"

& the MadHouse managers is just pissed of because he lost his job !

but still i like madhouse

03-28-11, 9:12 AM

I have over 100 volumes of manga in my apartment. DVD's and Blu-Ray's have a shit content-ratio when compared to manga, most adaptions suffer from bad animation quality, fillers, awful translations and other stuff I won't mention; also: In my country comic shops are rare. Still, the mentality of a lot of western anime fans disgust me; "I just wanna watch but don't pay XD" is the reason why we have the technical (!!!) problems. However, even a change of pirating policies can't prevent the fact that the industry hasn't enough law enforcing power and serious problems marketing their franchises in an changing Western television enviroment.

I stick with buying manga, to all the "pirate only" idiots ot there: You should feel bad, it's because of you faggots that I can't get Yakitate!! Japan, Franken Fran and other good stuff in my country.

03-28-11, 9:12 AM

well they r having it tough but i agree that 3D has has overtaken 2D

03-28-11, 9:13 AM

kuchitsu said:
There is NO 3D anime.

Not full length at the moment but the Shukufuku no Campanella Specials are in 3D. I mentioned Baby Princess but that's in June of this year and that's the only full length 3D anime we know of right now that has a definite release date.

03-28-11, 9:17 AM

dtshyk said:

There is an idea that Japanese anime producers can take fansubs as free PR methods and can make money by selling goods instead of DVDs.

The thing is that DVDs are pretty much "goods" as well. Apparently, even people from the industry don't realize that. There's only few people that would buy DVDs without seeing the anime first. Most people that buy DVDs are those who watched the anime in fansub and liked it a lot, and the rest are either those unaware of the existence of fansubs in the first place, or those who strongly believe that watching fansubs is bad and they may get caught.

03-28-11, 9:19 AM

2Hoppy:

yeah, I was too caterogical
There is also Platonic Chain (24 episodes), if you can call it anime: http://myanimelist.net/anime/611/Platonic_Chain

03-28-11, 9:20 AM

dtshyk said:
3. Cooperation with Crunchyroll didn't work well
We did try to go along with fansub groups by making a contract with Crunchyroll. We had expected Crunchyroll to take actions against unauthorized sharing but they couldn't.
LOL!

That didn't work out, so what's next!?

03-28-11, 9:21 AM

kuchitsu said:
There is NO 3D anime.

Anime = animation.

He's talking about cartoons and animated films in general.

03-28-11, 9:21 AM

Hoppy said:
kuchitsu said:
There is NO 3D anime.

Not full length at the moment but the Shukufuku no Campanella Specials are in 3D. I mentioned Baby Princess but that's in June of this year and that's the only full length 3D anime we know of right now that has a definite release date.

Since the statement mentioned Hollywood I think they were more referring to things like Pixar movies.

Anyways, it's easy to understand the studio's hate for fansubs, but the problem is that pretty much no anime get broadcasted on TV here in the states aside from the mainstream stuff. Anything else is just brought over here on DVD, which they sell for incredibly high prices. Hardly anyone would want to buy a high priced DVD with only like 4 episodes on it when they don't even know if they're going to like the series.

Then again you could also argue that the reason hardly any anime is broadcast on TV aside from mainstream is because of fansubs. The localization companies don't want to waste their time and money when they know they won't make any profit because everyone can download the show for free.

Modified by Agent_Meow-Meow, 03-28-11, 9:31 AM

03-28-11, 9:24 AM

colddarkness said:
Hoppy said:
kuchitsu said:
There is NO 3D anime.

Since the statement mentioned Hollywood I think they were more referring to things like Pixar movies.

Nope animation in general, that includes both US and Japanese animation.

03-28-11, 9:25 AM

Yeah, yeah. Fansubs are killing anime, Napster's killing music.

All these poor people now can only afford mansions with 20 bedrooms instead of 40.

I support the industry, I buy DVDs and manga and figurines when I can.
Fansubs get me interested in stuff, not the other way around.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices