Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 22, 2013 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
Loving the music when and how it was played from the this and the last ep.
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Aug 5, 2013 4:37 PM

Jul 2012
Cheesy =( could have been better
Sep 18, 2013 2:39 PM

Dec 2012
JuiciaDeGardiaan said:

That is all. Thank you for taking your time to read my humble comment. I hope you all have a pleasant day, and may the memory of the Count of Monte Cristo, Edmond Dantes, never fade. But be warned... he might not truly be gone. He might just be... waiting and watching.

I'll admit your post is equally as old, but I agree with it :p. Many people who are calling this cheesy or cliche or deus ex machina don't really understand the characters all that well. In addition to your points, I'd like to point out that Edmond Dantes was cursing Albert to his near dying breath. He was demanding that Betruccio fetch his sword so he could kill Albert - the man who just stole his conviction for revenge. But once he realized that it was futile, he resigned himself to his release from suffering - his death. I too noticed that Al's lips passed the Count's face, which led me to believe he did utter something to him.

Then comes Fernand. I've seen some comments about him being inconsistent about his emotions, like how he shot Albert in one scene and then pleaded for his life in another. Let's be honest - this man was an emotional train wreck. He was losing everything and he would rather destroy them with his own hands than watch them fade away. Once he saw Albert again, he realized how there was still something in his life that he wanted to protect, that he valued more than his own life. Personally I thought Fernand's change of heart was very compelling.

With that said though, I would have preferred a more dramatic conclusion to fit with the dark and grim build up to the climax.

Everest89 said:
What a stupid revenge, I'm disappointed ... I expected from Edmond to kill Mondego...
Stupid, stupid, stupid END!

You completely missed the point though, Edmond believed that death was a release from suffering. He didn't kill Villefort or Danglar because he wanted them to suffer and live in anguish and regret until the day they died. That's why he wanted to kill Albert so much - because it would leave Fernand in despair, where as killing him would be granting his dying wish.
ZekkenshinSep 18, 2013 2:59 PM
Nov 4, 2013 2:24 PM

Mar 2012
Nooooooooooooo! R.I.P Edmond Dantes, you were one hell of a "villain" ;_; Now let's see how they end it.
Nov 17, 2013 11:29 PM

May 2011
trust me guys, Edmond did not remove the shard was precisely because of the fact that he is prepared to die along with the demon in him. He does not want another person who suffer the same fate as him no longer.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 10, 2013 1:53 AM

Oct 2008
Wasn't the greatest of endings but wasn't the worst either. Fernand caring about his son mere moments after trying to kill him and believing he did so was really hard to accept. As far as the count himself goes, his demise is unfortunate but wasn't Ganketsuou saying his time was up anyways? I thought I also remember them saying that if his intentions were ever swayed from his revenge(aka caring for someone deeply enough again to distract you) then he'd also die.

As for the punishment of the 3 main betrayers of Edmond I'd say their punishment wasn't as cruel and eternal as I was hoping. Sure they experienced loss but only one really has any sort of length to his suffering. The judge is practically another person at this point, completely bat shit insane due to the poison count gave him so who knows if he's in any way conscious of his circumstances.

The banker had a decent punishment but without food or water to keep him alive in his floating golden space prison he won't last very long.

The general had a similar punishment to the judge, watched all his work in the past 10 years and any future ambition ruined but didn't have to suffer any more than that, obviously being driven to suicide and murdering your own family in the process is quite a punishment but Edmond lost everything, his youth, his love and his friends and had to dwell on this loss and the utter hopelessness of it all for so long in a horrible environment. Which is why I don't think the punishment for each of these people was good enough.

Overall this is a very good anime but the last 1/3rd is much weaker than the first. The allure of the mystery was more enjoyable to me and ever since we had the count's intentions revealed and Franz died I felt it never really recovered back to the high points of it all. It's not so much the reveal and the info along with it that made it worse just how the characters are forced to act due to the reveal and franz's death. Some if it was inevitable but I just don't think the punishment really paid off after the buildup for this epic revenge tale that we are expecting to be given. Perhaps it was intentional, it is a commonly said phrase that revenge is bittersweet. Whether or not that is intentional here is the question.

"Therein lies the defect of revenge: it's all in the anticipation; the thing itself is a pain, not a pleasure; at least the pain is the biggest end of it."

Edit: On a side note, I really enjoyed how the anime puts the viewer in the anime itself in a way. What I mean by that is we experience the same transfixed allure and interest in the count as all of the characters do. We are lured in by his charm, however eery it might be at times. To me at least, although Albert was a bit too angsty for me(albeit justifiable for a 15 year old in this bizarre circumstance). His ignorance and naivety were a nice projection of the viewer. The trip on Luna was his first trip into a new and dangerous world and the anime lets us experience it all along with him in a very similar mindset to myself. The kid was obviously in need of a father figure, desired knowledge and experience and is as gullible and trusting as I believe most of us are or have been at once. Despite being used and abused Albert's naive outlook on friendship motivates him to never give up on The Count, which I think is a tragic human trait that at least I myself think about having all too often. Sensing true intentions in something when it's really just our projection of what we want to feel or believe.
PANDEMlCDec 10, 2013 2:18 AM
Jan 15, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2010
So many great moments this episode. I wonder what Albert whispered to the count.

On to the finale.
Jan 31, 2014 2:59 AM

Oct 2012
That was great.. but I have just one qualm:
Did Fernand forget that he had just tried to kill Albert himself?
Why would he be so concerned about his supposed-to-be-dead son as a hostage?
Eh, whatever, on to the finale!
Mar 28, 2014 9:44 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

At least Fernand put up a better fight than Franz.

This episode is just epic.
Apr 3, 2014 10:07 PM

Jan 2013
Trainwreck *heartbroken* :(
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 16, 2014 1:28 AM

Sep 2013
It's just as Peppo said, yaoi makes everything right. Just kidding.

On the note of a mere "hug" exorcising a being such as Gankutsuou; that is not entirely correct. It was the fact that Albert (who we can all agree as being pretty retarded...) despite having been betrayed by everything and everyone still wanted to save the count. This revenge began as love and turned into hate... and then reverted back to love (?!).

Nevermind, I don't really know.

Fernand regaining his sanity is another random thing. Maybe he was convinced that nothing would burden him any longer on his way for his own revenge on the count if his family was dead. Upon realizing his son survived, he simply did not want to have to bear losing absolutely everything again. Or maybe he's into BL/incest too and loved his son the "other" way.
Aug 31, 2014 3:03 AM

Nov 2013
Surprisingly cheesy yet satisfying. One thing that bugged me was that Fernand suddenly cared for Albert after nearly killing him only moments earlier.

Oct 27, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2014
ChaoticSilence said:
Surprisingly cheesy yet satisfying. One thing that bugged me was that Fernand suddenly cared for Albert after nearly killing him only moments earlier.

It wasn't sudden. He always loved Albert, he never stopped caring about him; he shot him because he was backed into a horrible corner and wasn't mentally stable when he did it. Seeing Albert alive again shocked him back into his sense a bit.
Nov 30, 2014 6:09 PM

Nov 2012
I'm...confused. What happened to Gankutsuou? How did Albert hugging the Count really change anything? I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and agree with the people here who are saying Albert probably whispered something in the Count's ear that left some sort of impression on him, just because that makes more sense... But if so they could have been more clear about that, and I'm not sure what Albert could have said at this point that would have more of an effect than his earlier attempts at changing the Count.

A counterargument to the above point: the Count was saying that he needed to kill "him" (I'm assuming he meant Fernand) and asking for his sword even after the whole Albert "defeating" Gankutsuou thing. So despite his appearance mostly changing back to normal and saying that his name was Edmond Dantes, he still hasn't let go of revenge?

We never really did find out what Gankutsuou was or is meant to represent either...

Before this episode I would have rated this anime a 10/10 but I'm deeply unsatisfied with this resolution.
Jul 10, 2015 12:06 PM

Aug 2014
Albert, after trying so hard, finally managed to become the Count's friend!

Not the best ending, but not bad.
Sep 10, 2015 12:55 AM

Jan 2014
Magnificento ~
Sep 10, 2015 1:04 AM

Oct 2013
And so Edmond Dantès went to his grave cursing his enemies and craving vengeance with his last drops of life. That is without a doubt the most vehement death I could imagine, and it is the way a man such as he should have met his end.

☩ Discord: the.path.to.pathos
☩ RateYourMusic
☩ last.fm
Sep 28, 2015 1:28 PM

Jul 2013
I knew Albert and his mother weren't dead!!!

I can't believe The Count wanted Albert held hostage. Then tried to shoot him but his own man got in the way! D:

Gankutsuou finally took over but not for long because all Edmond needed was a hug from his good friend Albert!!! The spell was broken but that also meant the sword from Franz that went in to his heart a few episodes ago finally penetrated and killed him!!! Awwwww ;________________________;

I knew he liked Albert really! At least the Edmond part of him!!! I called it. Albert still loved him after everything he had done to him and his family and thus the spell was broken.

I did wonder why the whole place suddenly started collapse around them though but at least they got away except Morcerf who went over to his old friend and shot himself D:

That was a dazzlingly brilliant episode and great end but I wonder what will happen in the last episode now everything is finally over. I did think this seemed as though it should have been the last one.
Oct 30, 2015 4:10 AM
May 2012
Yeah, yeah, but I still like it.
Let's see how this will end.
Nov 17, 2015 5:59 PM

Jul 2015
Am I the only one annoyed at the uselessness of Haidee? I mean, I don't see the point to even having her in the show anymore after she completed her role in the election episode.
Dec 23, 2015 1:31 AM

Apr 2014
Omg, Gankutsuou is like the Maleficent(2014) of anime. It even had the true luv's kiss to break the spell.
Jan 14, 2016 3:11 AM

Jan 2013
Satisfying penultimate episode.
Jan 14, 2016 6:37 AM
Dec 2014
VoxOfTheSheeple said:
Am I the only one annoyed at the uselessness of Haidee? I mean, I don't see the point to even having her in the show anymore after she completed her role in the election episode.

Insulting my waifu! A duel sir. Tomorrow at dawn in Bois de Boulogne. Bring your mech.
Jun 11, 2016 11:54 AM

Feb 2016
Beautiful episode very intense and emotional. At the end he didn't had to soil his hands by killing for his revenge but he managed to engrave his name into the heart of people he shares a bond with. Magnificent.
Jan 11, 2017 5:42 AM

Aug 2014
Well, as other have said here the episode suffered from weak points, i won't write them as other have wrote them. The episode was very fun but it unfortunately suffered from some issues and inconsistencies.
Feb 22, 2017 7:29 AM

Mar 2015
Aw man rest in peace Edmond Dantes. Ironic that he dies in the place he spent a lot of his riches on
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 10, 2017 6:04 PM
Feb 2017
Pay close attention everyone, this is how a man dies when he lives his life based upon revenge. Cursing his enemies to his death.
This is also how men die when they are corrupted by greed and power - alone, poor, and flying out into the unknown reaches of space.
May 27, 2017 6:54 PM

Mar 2017
Kinda didn't like how Edmond and Mercedes couldn't see each other one last time.
Jun 4, 2017 2:41 AM

Sep 2016
The seemingly kiss scene really caught me off guard. I was like WTF when I was watching this ep.
But I like JuiciaDeGardiaan's understanding above that it's related to the Count's question in ep#15. Albert probably whispered his answer to him atm. That's why the Gankutsuou was defeated by the willpower.

The ending was certainly not my cup of tea, it neither made me hyped nor made me emotional. But I'm still glad I gave this show a try and it's a pretty good ride especially during the 1st half.
Again, thanks to the Count's charm & Jouji-san's fantastic voicing, which is definitely the highlight of the show and my main motivation to finish it.

Not sure if I'll rate it 8 or 9, will probably make the decision after watching the last ep.
Aug 6, 2017 6:35 AM

Feb 2013
At least Mercedes is alive.
Fernand's death wasn't enough, I wanted him to suffer.
Aug 7, 2017 1:53 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
For Albert's love to reach the Count, I believe he had to hug and kiss him.

The Count has been betrayed and lied to by his friends so words can't reach him. Doing something unexpected like that really put the Count off guard and I think that's how his feelings were exposed.

Amazing episode. I'm glad that Fernand came to his senses and he finally realized the things that were truly important to him. Sadly the same thing cannot be said to the other two former friends.
Nov 10, 2017 11:42 PM

Jan 2010
Having The Count be literally consumed by his revenge is, perhaps, the great thing this anime adaptation has done. He's truly a demon that's only out for revenge, and it's not as simple as killing his target. He's out to make them live long and painfully.

Now, Mondego, which all of his physical power, can't do anything to stop The Count, who is pretty much invulnerable until his revenge is complete. Then, with Haydee, who was the woman who was specifically out to get revenge on Mondego, is trying to tell The Count to give the revenge up. Then with the standoff, holy crap. Mondego begging The Count to spare his son - the the that he had previously shot himself.

Oh, and also, the narrating voice at the beginning of every episode was Gankutsuou itself. That's also amazing.
Jan 31, 2018 9:17 AM

Nov 2016
RIP Edmond Dantes,you were a great character. This episode hit right in the feels :(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 28, 2018 9:35 PM

Dec 2012
Coming back to this moment, my appreciation for the themes at play has deepened since last I saw this. Edmond was reminded of himself whenever he looked at the earnest & ever so naive Albert. That's why he believed that Albert could be broken. To become just like him. And he almost did were it not for Franz's intervention. Edmond wanted to kill Albert back in episode 18 to forever relinquish his heart - his final vulnerability. Because Albert lived, however, that single moment of hesitation was allowed. Because Albert didn't let his love give birth to hatred, Edmond ultimately lost.
Nov 1, 2018 11:17 PM
Nov 2018
The director was wrong and did not develop Haydee and Count, the idea of the novel is that revenge will not bring happiness, just regret and that one should forget the past and move on. With haydee the count would have a new opportunity in life to be happy and with the haydee's love to forget the past.
Feb 3, 2019 1:17 PM
Feb 2019
AironicallyHuman said:
LucreciaLeVrai said:
Gankutsuou wasn't exorcised with a hug, I suppose, but by Edmond's very strong willpower, which finally won against the demon. Too bad he had all these feelings for a /boy/, not for Mercedes. Seriously, I don't mind yaoi, and Franz/Albert was rather cute, but Albert was /not/ the love of Edmond's life. He turned a deaf year to his former fiance's pleas, so what made him abandon his hatred when the boy became involved?

This is the one point where I believe Gonzo screwed up. Every other time, even when they altered the original content, they generally still did enough to satisfy fans of the novel. But when they had Edmond be saved by Albert's hugging / deus ex machina power, it made absolutely no sense and only occurred because someone felt the need to end the series with Albert doing something useful; whether logical or not.

The only person Edmond cared for or loved enough to end his vengeance for was the love of his life, Mercedes, as the novel proved when she actually did manage to persuade him to stop--when she showed that, even after all the time that had past, that he was still the love of her life. And, in Gankutsuou's version of events, even she failed to sway him.

What should have happened was Mercedes hugging Edmond, instead of Albert. With the woman he loved more than life itself in his arms, I'd be willing to accept the devil being defeated through willpower alone... but, as we all know, that's not what happened, and yaoi fangirls rejoiced worldwide as they were pandered to with a cheek kiss.

The whole deus ex machina thing is Gankutsuou's only major flaw, and the one point I had to ignore in order to score it 10/10. Nothing is perfect, but I can't help but think that Gonzo screwed up when the obvious answer lay within the very novel they had adapted...

...In any event, I thought that the episode was fantastic, prior to the Albert huggle nonsense. The moment where Edmond pointed at Fernand in order to express that he still had him by the balls, rather than the other way around, was tingle-worthy. And it was nice to see Fernand attempt to redeem himself in the eyes of his son in the only way he could.

Edmond by maximilien also resolved to save the life of valentine and by maxiline the count would also sacrifice sau vengeance.

But the Earl's feelings were for Haydee.

After the return of the duel he realizes that he is really in love with her.
"Monte Cristo pressed on that pure beautiful forehead a kiss which made two hearts throb at once, the one violently, the other heavily. "Oh," murmured the count, "shall I then be permitted to love again?" (chapter 92)

There was no more love for mercedes, more affection for the past.

"Mercedes burst into tears; her woman's heart was breaking under its load of memories. Monte Cristo took her hand and imprinted a kiss on it; but she herself felt that it was a kiss of no greater warmth than he would have bestowed on the hand of some marble statue of a saint. " (chapter 112)
"As he repassed the Catalans, the count turned around and burying his head in his cloak murmured the name of a woman. The victory was complete; twice he had overcome his doubts. The name he pronounced, in a voice of tenderness, amounting almost to love, was that of Haidee." (hapter 113)
In the novel there was a similar scene of Albert with the count, but who did was Haydee.
"The count felt his heart dilate and throb; he opened his arms, and Haidee, uttering a cry, sprang into them." (chapter 117)

In the novel , the humanizing force eventually returns when Dantès falls in love with Haydée. This relationship reconciles Dantès to his humanity and enables him to feel real emotion once again. In a triumphant declaration of emotion, he says to Haydée: "I mean that one word from you has enlightened me more than twenty years of slow experience; I have but you in the world, Haidee; through you I again take hold on life, through you I shall suffer, through you rejoice." (chapter 117) Dantès’s overcomes his alienation, both from society and from his own humanity, through his love of another human being.
HerodotoMeneceuFeb 3, 2019 1:28 PM
Feb 3, 2019 1:53 PM
Feb 2019
VoxOfTheSheeple said:

The count in the novel is in love with her and it was Haydee's love that made him regain his humanity. This relationship edmond and haydee reconciles Dantès to his humanity and allows him to feel real emotion once again.

Unfortunately the director chose Albert.

edmond and haydee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qQyhYXljQ
Feb 10, 2019 10:37 AM

May 2016
A mech battle between Fernand and Edmond turned into a double hostage situation and despite being a deranged power-hungry lunatic, Fernand actually realized that he loves his son when he was given enough time to think about it. I should be mad at him but his desperate pleas for his son's safety towards the Count made me tear up a little. Regret comes in when it's too late as usual but it's great of Baptistin to step in and stand up for what's right.

Gankutsuou completely took over the Count but he suddenly reverted into his mortal form because Albert's friendly cheek kiss that showed that even if he can't understand the Count, he'll always regard him as a friend no matter what. That, and because he caught the big gay.

As Edmond's lifeless body lingers in his abode, his mighty palace constructed with the will of his vengeance quickly crumbled away with every last feeling of hatred he had towards the world. Along with that was Fernand, who had started all of this and the last target of Edmond's grudge, deciding to meet the end with his former best friend.

Apr 8, 2019 2:45 PM

Aug 2009
I mean, I get why someone would respond negatively to this episode. It was a bit too cheesy, with Albert hugging the Count and all that. I also found it strange that Albert's dad shot him, but afterwards begs for his life... Yeah, you're obviously unstable, but man, your words mean nothing when you just tried to kill him lol.

I assume the next episode will be an epilogue of some kind so I can talk about the climax here. While the last few episodes certainly weren't a bad build-up/final climax, I highly prefer the climax in episodes 15-18. The mystery mostly came to an end there and everything afterwards felt different. It probably couldn't be helped, since the mystery was almost entirely solved except for the Gankutsuou spirit. Howveer, that one was solved in this episode with a mere two lines? Nothing more? Kinda disappointing.

Depending on the final act, I was thinking of rating the show a 9 after the amazing middle act. I'm afraid the final act did not live up to expectations, so I'm probably going to end up rating it an 8. The show did get much better than I expected it to after pushing myself through the beginning.
Apr 10, 2019 9:34 PM
Apr 2019
Samu-tan said:
I mean, I get why someone would respond negatively to this episode. It was a bit too cheesy, with Albert hugging the Count and all that. I also found it strange that Albert's dad shot him, but afterwards begs for his life... Yeah, you're obviously unstable, but man, your words mean nothing when you just tried to kill him lol.

I assume the next episode will be an epilogue of some kind so I can talk about the climax here. While the last few episodes certainly weren't a bad build-up/final climax, I highly prefer the climax in episodes 15-18. The mystery mostly came to an end there and everything afterwards felt different. It probably couldn't be helped, since the mystery was almost entirely solved except for the Gankutsuou spirit. Howveer, that one was solved in this episode with a mere two lines? Nothing more? Kinda disappointing.

Depending on the final act, I was thinking of rating the show a 9 after the amazing middle act. I'm afraid the final act did not live up to expectations, so I'm probably going to end up rating it an 8. The show did get much better than I expected it to after pushing myself through the beginning.

They turned the count into a one-dimensional villain, withdrew the role of haydee who with his love would return the humanity of the count. She
The count is not a psychopath, he is able to show remorse, to help others and to have empathy, here he has become a one-person character.
I did not like the adptation.
The count and haydee by having a similar past are the mirror of each other that are adequate to understand each other than Albert who never stepped through adversities like the count.

Read the manga that is better

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/monte_cristo_hakushaku/

Aug 1, 2019 11:54 PM

Sep 2011
Kenjimax said:
The way Fernard act is badly executed. The transition from composed power-crazy dictator to insane lovelorn murderer to reckless caring father to remorseful repenting sinner is too sudden. Why did he blackmail Count with Heidi? Why didn't he just shoot Heidi instead of all the provocation then? Why did they decide to just have him looked from left to right then went down on his knees to beg? Worse yet, it's wrong to bring back a character after a few minutes of being off screen just to have them look all cool and composed and yada yada stating they wanted to repent. Didn't he looked severely distressed just now? Why look so calm after watching what your son did? Tell us, director, tell us!

Then there's the Count-come-Gankutsuou. Didn't you say you want Fernard to suffer, hence the shot at Albert? Why suddenly changed to 'the pact is complete' and wanted to ride your fancy ship?

I won't comment on that hug/whisper scene since it's fine by anime standard.

This. I know this thread is old, but i just finished this show and it bothered the hell out of me. Maybe if it wasn't all crammed into one episode it would be more effective, but it just didnt work the way they did it. Mandego's character in this episode was all over the place here, especially with how he literally just shot his son a few moments ago in the stomach but is no concerned that someone wants to kill him. I mean i guess you could argue that he was completely out of it and deranged when he shot him and is now calmer but it wasnt executed well at all.

And no i don't excuse that hug/whisper scene to kill an incredibly powerful being; it's so fucking cliched and i just could not get behind it.

It's a shame because the show for the most part was really good, but this episode just felt rushed.
AlfonseOct 22, 2019 12:25 AM
Sep 30, 2019 2:51 AM

Aug 2018
I have mixed feelings. It's a great show and the Count is such a charismatic character. But... Did they have to go so over-the-top? The original story feels much more personal and subtle. But here the Count is personally killing off people, half of the Paris is destroyed, it's just too much.

The whole don't-let-hate-consume-you thing was handled so differently in the book. Here, it's too in-your-face with Franz's letter and Albert constantly appealing to love. When Edmond lets go of revenge in the novel and gets a happy ending, it feels earned, it feels no less satisfying than the revenge itself. But here he is too consumed by hate (we never saw all the good deeds he's done after his escape from prison), his actions involve too many innocent bystanders (like, how many people were killed in the bombings?) and he dies still feeling vengeful. I get it, they really wanted to get the message across, but it came off kinda cliche. The novel had done it and in a completely different way.

I've never seen anyone who read the book dislike Edmond. Even though he can be distant and aloof, he is very empathetic. Whereas here in the forums quite a few people dislike him because he is too ruthless.
Tanya852Sep 30, 2019 8:15 AM
Mar 6, 2020 5:41 PM

Aug 2008
Albert has been such a whiny weak loser for the entirety of the show, only can scream "COUNT!" and chooses him at the expense of all others including his dead friend who the Count happened to have killed. Disgusting character. This climax was also much too sudden and doesn't feel earned. I simply can't care for this show like I did the first time around. Shame as the first half was terrific and everything up to a few episodes ago was also good. This though... ehhhhhhhh.
May 22, 2020 9:27 AM

Sep 2014
quite epic climax. Guess thats the perk of being based on a proper book and not some low effort LN.

Though its a bit weird that the one man who really has no redeeming qualities got off easy, as the count would say he got the gift of death.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 7, 2020 2:24 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I think Albert told the count that he loved him and that is what ended the demons hold. The count and Albert didn’t seem to be on the same page because the count still wanted revenge even when he was dying. I can also understand why the sword piece was never taken out because at the point he was stab he was turning more and more into a demon so he didn’t really feel any pain and/or didn’t feel the wanted by it because he thought he would never revert back. Albert’s dad really does because he ain’t want to face his actions anymore and go to jail. Lastly, very glad Albert didn’t let her die with the count which happens in so many shows.
Sep 14, 2020 5:37 PM
takodachi

Jan 2020
lmao i should have expected this kind of ending if i'm going to be honest. since they introduced a main character like albert, i should have known the conclusion to this climax would end in yet another cop-out moral compass bullshit. one episode was all it took to ruin it all. it's impressive in a way, really had me fooled for the last 22 episodes.

π’«π‘œπ“… 𝒢 𝓅𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒢𝓃𝒹 𝑔𝑒𝓉 π’Ύπ“‚π“‚π‘œπ“‡π“‰π’Άπ“π’Ύπ“π‘’π’Ή
π’―π’½π‘œπ“Šπ‘”π’½π“‰ π“…π“‡π‘œπ’Έπ‘’π“ˆπ“ˆ π‘œπ“‹π‘’π“‡π“‡π’Ύπ’Ήπ‘’
π’«π“Šπ“‡π’Ύπ’»π“Ž π“‚π“Ž π“…π‘œπ’Ύπ“ˆπ‘œπ“ƒπ‘’π’Ή 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹

Oct 10, 2020 2:44 AM

May 2016
Not the ending that i wanted but satisfying nonetheless.
Fernnad finally gave up and deserved it, Edomond Dantes with that long hair surprised me quite a bit, all of his wounds that he took while being under Gangkustou came back to him the bullet from Vilefort and those sword wounds he took no wonder he died quickly after removing the Gangkustuou from him.

RIP to another great character. Hakshaku you sure gonna have a great place in my heart.
Feb 10, 2021 6:04 AM

Jun 2020
What an utter fuckload of bullshit. The show was near perfect till the last episode.
Mar 13, 2021 1:25 AM
Feb 2015
I just finished the anime. I liked it for the most part, for its unique visual approach, and the mixture of Sci-fi elements with an old novel. The only thing I didn't really like is that they changed the ending from the novel: in the novel, the Dantes lets go of his hatred, doesn't survive, and goes off to live happily with Haydee who confesses to him.

I felt that would have been a better ending.
May 27, 2021 2:55 PM
Aug 2020
He wasn't able to complete his revenge by himself. It is regrettable
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.