Forum Settings
Forums

80s-90s Anime that you might have missed

New
Mar 24, 2011 3:40 PM

Jun 2010
In this thread we can post some 80-90s anime (especially 80s) that are relatively unknown or not so mainstream. Anime some people might have missed, either because they were younger or because they were not into anime back then *hint hint* ;) or for any other reason.

Even if some people might not even have heard of those anime, for a lot of other people, like me, they are a special part of their childhood. Those anime are full of memories, nostalgia, they are old diamonds and "legendary". Legendary not because they were of excellent quality but just because we grew up with them. :)

I will start with one of my favorite old ones: Area 88 (it's actually 3 OVAs) with one of my all time's favorite character Shin Kazama.

Discuss and share your memories :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 25, 2011 6:16 AM

Jan 2011
i have to admit, i did watch anime then, i just didn't know it. it was probably all mainstream (transformers, voltron, etc). the only one that wasn't well known amongst people i knew at least was space battleship yamato. i watched robotech (yes i know everybody, macross is better) and vampire hunter d turned me on to the concept of what anime was. i can't think of anything "obscure" necissarily, but i will have a revelation i'm sure :)
Mar 25, 2011 9:26 AM

Jun 2010
Battle Spaceship Yamato was great. Not many episodes were broadcasted in my country. It was just a channel that kept showing the same 4-5 episodes again and again or something. It's opening is soooo classic 80s anime!

Yamato Opening:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDLifAZiRrg (first few minutes)

And now that you said about Yamato you reminded me of another incredible character of 80s anime. I have him on my top list along with Shin Kazama from area 88. It's the infamous Captain Harlock from the same anime.

Captain Harlock Opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aap2vwuFJs8&feature=related

Captain Harlock although it might seem like a "boring mecha" i liked it because of the awesome drawing, the awesome main character and because it had this love story which unfortunately was very tragic.
Mar 28, 2011 11:53 AM

Jan 2011
you speak so highly of area 88 i'm gonna have to check it out, i was definetely aware of it but i just never saw it. but looking at some info on it, it's def up my alley. so thanks! purpose of thread fulfilled for now. =D
Mar 28, 2011 12:10 PM

Jun 2010
Well somethings we watch when we are young, we tend to remember them better than they are (in our minds). Though I watched again Area 88 with some friends in Uni and I still liked it. To be honest such shows shouldn't really be allowed for kids. It has lots of deaths, cruelty and a general tragic story. By the way, I am talking about the OVA (3 OVAs). Don't go and watch the new one that has like 25 episodes, it sucks.

So ... another "legendary" old anime you might have watched/forgotten etc.

Plawres Sanshiro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veoyd6HK6No
Apr 18, 2011 8:12 AM

Jan 2011
i was at my local large chain electronic store the other day and saw area 88 ova and series for sale there. i didn't pick it up because i couldn't remember whether it was the series or ova you recommended. now i see it was the ova...let's see if it's still there when i go back there.
Apr 19, 2011 1:33 PM

Jun 2010
Download it in my opinion. Anime we see at very young age tend to become sweeter in our minds than they actually are, like the memories. But if the price is reasonably low then go ahead i guess :)

A friend of mine has bought quite a few "old" video games for like 5 euros. And when I say old games I mean games that are written in history and still rock.
May 22, 2011 3:20 PM

Apr 2011
I'm only on episode 2 so I can't say how good it is...I'm watching Slayers and it really reminds me of old school non-Anime cartoons. It's a comedic medieval fantasy genre for anyone that's interested.

It appears Funimation is offering the entire English dub first season free on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSC4nCa6Qw4

Here's the intro below
Lotus97May 22, 2011 3:25 PM
May 22, 2011 4:52 PM

May 2011
I've watched an episode or two of that one... It's not one of my absolute favorites, but it's pretty funny. Worth a watch, I'd say.
May 22, 2011 5:53 PM

Jun 2010
DORAGON SUREIVAAAA!!!! nuff said!

Just watching her casting dragon slave makes me shudder!

I aboslutely love Lina Inverse! And yeah I love slayers as well :D

P.S. 0:03 DAT CLEAVAGE!
May 25, 2011 8:10 PM

Apr 2011
Slayers rulez! I have already seen all seasons of it and I'm a great fan of it, Lina Inverse, Gourry, Amelia and Zelgadis are very funny characters, it's worth seeing it. Other anime series I saw as a child are Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, but I think they are too mainstream. I haven't seen Berserker yet, it's a fantasy anime from the year 1997, I plan to watch it.
May 26, 2011 2:25 PM

Dec 2008
I really liked Slayers! I thought it was really funny! I really want to watch more of it this summer~ ♥ But yeah, if you haven't seen it, I would definitely give it a try! I wasn't expecting much but I was pretty surprised!

Right now I'm really loving Akazukin Chacha, which is probably the anime I have been searching for a long time. And I mean in feeling, characters, and enjoyment. A lot of series lately I've been picking up and just jumping to a new anime series in hopes I'll find something more enjoyable - hence why there's so much on my watching and on hold list X_X; - but Chacha is really funny! The characters are so sweet and lovable and they make references to fairy tales (they've got magicians, wolves, mermaids, vampires, and mad scientists running around) and other anime, plus it's a magical girl show - win for meeee! But it's still funny, and it's not heavily concentrated on the magical girlness and the monster-of-the-day formula hasn't gotten boring because the villains just feel so far out there and do such silly, stupid things you can't help but laugh.

It's kind of like the comedy of Slayers, but with more innocent, lightheartedness and a magical girl... but the characters are just so much fun and I'm totally addicted to it right now. Every episode has put a smile on my face. ♥

It's kind of long, with it being 74 episodes and all, and I'm only on episode 12, but I really cannot wait to keep going.

Then there's Saint Tail, which was licensed by Tokyopop and I saw when I was younger, but I don't know of very many people who have seen it, personally. It's a cute show, another magical girl show, but if you like that kind of thing, it's worth a watch. It has more emphasis on romance than the magical girl aspect but that's okay, it's still a cute, fun show anyway. And their spin on the monster-of-the-day thing is instead a heist-of-the-day, and it's fun to see what Saint Tail has to try and steal sometimes. But I thought the show was cute.

Can you tell I love magical girls?

Otherwise most of the 90's stuff I've seen was on Toonami and Kids WB and stuff so it's way too mainstream.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What Are You Listening to? + All About the Music! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Corsair857 - Jun 2, 2011

3583 by Elanin »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:31 AM

Sticky: » Hi!I am... :) ~ Introductions ~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Mar 12, 2011

5705 by tamilanime »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Sticky: » Administrators' lounge [closed for members] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Aug 22, 2011

361 by Lotus97 »»
Jun 17, 2022 12:02 PM

» [GAME] You're Banned! v. 7.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Uuh - Dec 12, 2015

8529 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 4:21 AM

» [GAME] First Thing That Pops Up In Your Mind V. 3.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arianna - Mar 20, 2016

3543 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.