Forum Settings
Forums

Do Weaboos make you feel embarrassed about liking anime?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Dec 17, 2014 9:47 PM

Jul 2008

I think this topic is very hard to discuss because the definition of weeb varies slightly from person to person. I don't think it is pretending to be Japanese, a white Japanese sword collector would probably not be called a weeb, however if he was a younger kid and also has some anime things then all of the sudden he becomes one. They tend to not intentionally break such boundaries you speak of, they just don't hide it. If you seen 1000 anime but are very cautious around others about mentioning it or such, it some how makes you less of a weeb then the guy who just watches naruto and wears naruto's headband in public. But isn't that just a illusion because nobody sees you?

Honestly I think it has very little to do with japanese and more to do with anime. I mean honestly I have no idea if I am one or not, I am pretty good about no saying anything to non-anime people, but I have figures, games and watch quite a bit. I am aware that I am not japanese nor do I know all of their customs, but still have a basic understanding about them. But the question is why japanese anime, figures and games? its hard to say why I like what I like really I certainly don't like everything Japanese though but do seem to prefer it. I can just say, "I like it cause of X" but it still is Japanese after all and the X could be satisfied with something american or European I am sure. That being said I could say I like all animation which is somewhat true because I do watch some of the american stuff. weeb is something that usually is just slapped on you when someone who dislikes anime is aware of somebody who likes anime.

I don't think it should even really be discussed because it is just asking why are people bullied sometimes its kind of a silly question if you ask me. Nobody hardly calls people weebs among anime people, unless they are somewhat casual or kind of a troll. However even among anime fans the fandom splits many many times so there will be bullying among us to a certain degree. weeb among anime people is sort of like calling somebody a Narutard it is a attempt to say this guy got insulted but that doesn't apply to me because I am different for whatever reason (examples I keep it to my self I don't buy figures I don't like the same things he likes I watch less ect ect ect.)

That is my opinion about such matters at least.
Dec 17, 2014 10:06 PM

Mar 2012
Weaboos were just blind Plebeians.

Sent all Weaboos and SAO fans to Africa because wild animals were hungry.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 17, 2014 10:15 PM

Apr 2014
Not at all, every passtime whether it be anime, sports etc. will have its crazies. It would be stupid to define a culture of fans by the actions of the few fanatics.
Dec 17, 2014 11:35 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I am a separate entity from them so no I don't feel embarrassed for liking the same thing. It's not the anime that causes embarrassment. It's the way they act.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Dec 17, 2014 11:48 PM

Nov 2014
Chickapow said:
Not at all, every passtime whether it be anime, sports etc. will have its crazies. It would be stupid to define a culture of fans by the actions of the few fanatics.

Most people think like this, honestly.

Dec 17, 2014 11:50 PM

Jan 2012
Chickapow said:

awesumness agreed
you sound poor
Dec 17, 2014 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
Couldn't give one shit about the about the person who i'm not related in any way shape or form.Sharing the same interests is hardly a valid excuse to have some fort of "connection" of any sorts.
If you like what I like then that's cool and all,doesn't mean were instantly friends and all.
If you like something I dislike or act like a total fanboy about something then w/e that's your choice and you can make a ass out of yourself however you chose to.Doesn't concern me at all.
amateurDec 17, 2014 11:57 PM
Dec 18, 2014 12:21 AM

Jun 2012
I think they just too into it and sometimes you gotta slap them with reality so they wont drift too far from it.
Dec 18, 2014 12:27 AM

Dec 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Weeaboos are bad, but casual anime fans who call someone a weeaboo for watching more anime than them are annoying as hell.

Yeah. Agreed.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Dec 18, 2014 12:40 AM

Jul 2014
I have never even met a weaboo irl. But yea they do make the regular anime fans look bad.
Dec 18, 2014 1:53 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
No. I've met many of my NaruSasu brethren through being a weeaboo in my past life.

The definition of a weeaboo is actually very specific. Most people that are labeled as weeaboos are just weeb-like.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 18, 2014 2:10 AM
Mar 2014
Well, as others have said, every kind of hobby has its extremists. If there's a guy annoying the hell out of others with a hobby that I share, I sure as hell won't go "I LIKE THAT, TOO!", but I'm not really feeling embarrassed simply because such people exist.

Swiggy said:
No. I've met many of my NaruSasu brethren through being a weeaboo in my past life.

Wow, you're actually doing it.
Dec 18, 2014 2:30 AM

Feb 2010
I think just in general the stereotypes people have about anime keep me quiet about my interest in it. It's probably all thanks to those shameless weaboos.
Dec 18, 2014 3:07 AM

Dec 2012
Nicoreos said:

Whoever is causing one more harm is subjective, in my case, it's the person looking as unpresentable as can be. The bullies are irrelevant because they're as weak-minded as the next guy, thing is, I imagine the weeaboo to not be thoughtful of his or her own boundaries, since in fact, it is someone who is pretending to be Japanese when not at all. Cosplaying and the like, I take back, is simply being an anime fan, but overdoing it is kind of obnoxious and mirroring the qualities of a weeaboo if we should make judgment on who the person is. You can simply ignore those bullies though, they probably aren't thoughtful either, but at least they know their boundaries of social context. If it helps, most of my reasoning comes from someone who takes pride in one's given individuality, faking an ethnicity to me is probably one of the most inauthentic things one can do.

I would argue that the idea of acting one's ethnicity is a superficial limit set with no real basis other than to maintain the norm. If a white child is adopted and raised by a Japanese family in Japan, will that person be denied that culture and told to "act white"? Not to disagree with you necessarily, as I believe the weeaboo culture is filled with posers. But those are people living out the fantasy of being something they are not, inaccurately representing who they are regardless of ethnicity. Japanese weeaboos exist, I've met them. It's akin to wiggers who pretend they're hard thug gangsters by coming from middle class families that provide support and warmth. When I was in middle school, I was heavy into rap but never once associated with them. But of course, people could just assume I was a wigger because we shared one common interest.

I wouldn't call the other party bullies either. It's just simple ignorance and frankly poor judgment. That's why I can't get behind the whole "weeaboos give anime fans a bad name!" or "Grr I hate weeaboos because they ruin my reputation!" My name is not and should not be tied to someone that, aside from sharing one common interest, has no relation to me. I like Elfen Lied. That fat girl with pink hair screaming NYUU likes Elfen Lied. So what? We might both have the same favorite color, guess I better go in the closet for that too.
Dec 18, 2014 3:21 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Also, while it might seem like others judge anime fans as a whole based on weeb behavior, times are changing a bit. People are starting to realize that anime fans really do vary in regards to behavior. I've heard non-anime fans separating anime fans by "the weird anime fans" and "the normal anime fans".

While I'm not too fond of that type of labeling, it shows that people outside of anime get it. They know that not every anime fan is a Japanese supremacist who is obsessed with NaruSasu or something, or a Pearl Harbor supporter who sits in the corner playing Pokemon. We're now at that point where they're not grouping us together.

Or may I say, some areas are at that point; while others might not, it'll only be a matter of time.

John_h said:
Wow, you're actually doing it.

I can't chicken out now. I'm eight posts deep in NaruSasu already.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 18, 2014 3:44 AM

Jul 2014
There are times when this is so.
Take care of yourself

Dec 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Jul 2013
I remember in middle school, in gym there was this kid who ran like naruto, and during free time he would practice japanese. I felt so embarrassed for him, since then I rarely tell anybody I watch anime
Dec 18, 2014 2:54 PM

Jul 2014
it was otaku day on monday, gave me aids
Apr 22, 2016 9:05 AM
Apr 2016
This troll term is being misused all over the internet especially popular media sites like YouTube theres really no point of being embarrassed at all. Its just another tool for trolls to harass us with. Most of them don't even know its meaning b/c they bandwagon effect other brainless trolls who uses it on a daily basis. Everytime I'm called one for uploading anime based gameplay...... yeah anime games people lol I'm literally left educating the troll to what it really means. I have no desire to be or learn Japanese. I just love their games b/c...... 90% of them are just better than what our country has. And if you like JRPG's its really unavoidable to like anime.
Theres nothing wrong with learning another language in a general view and to be honest I don't see a problem using Anime as a source to expand one's knowledge like using Japanese Subs to teach yourself to properly pronounce the word. Weabo is just another term that means "Nerd" atleast thats how I view it. The fact that every year a new internet word is created based on what certain people like really makes me question humanity at this point. If anything I feel "Alienated" b/c obviously cyber bullying is expanding as a norm around the net
MasterJ360Apr 22, 2016 9:52 AM
Apr 22, 2016 9:11 AM

Oct 2015
Eh, to me they are no worse than say, rabid game console fanboys for example.
Apr 22, 2016 9:21 AM

Sep 2015

The exciting forum grave digging challenge.
💙 Set by:Gabby_Chan💙 Strawberry
Apr 22, 2016 9:24 AM

Aug 2011
No because idiots throw the word weeaboo around when they have no idea what it means.

Also why would crazy obsessed fanboys make me embarrassed to love what I love; I've been a gamer for nearly 2 decades and Xbox/PS fanboys mean zilch to me.
Apr 22, 2016 9:30 AM

Aug 2015
I'm feeling embarrassed because of that "embarrassed" and "ashamed' threads T_T
Apr 22, 2016 9:34 AM

Jan 2014
i guess claiming oneself as an otaku also counts as a weeaboo?
Apr 22, 2016 9:34 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
No, cause one person does not represent an entire group

And they personally don't bother me
Apr 22, 2016 9:47 AM

Apr 2016
No, because we like anime or closer to otaku and they are weeaboo and weeaboos are more like into Japanese cultures, liking anime and manga.

I had one friend he's a weeaboo, he likes anime, act like an anime character (sometimes) lol, cosplaying and keeps singing Japanese songs for me its not annoying if you love anime too but i'm sure its really annoying to others who doesn't like anime. but he's a good fellow and really fun to be with :3

and wow this thread is really old lmao.
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Apr 22, 2016 9:50 AM

Apr 2011
Weebs don't embarrass me. Other Maldivians embarrass me with their retarded 24/7 politics. You can't even study without politics coming into it somehow. Hell, you can't even watch a game of football without those retards turning it into politics.
Apr 22, 2016 9:55 AM

Oct 2015
yhunata said:
Weebs don't embarrass me. Other Maldivians embarrass me with their retarded 24/7 politics. You can't even study without politics coming into it somehow. Hell, you can't even watch a game of football without those retards turning it into politics.

Same kinda shit happens in my country too. Everyone assumes that I for some reason care about their political beliefs.
Apr 22, 2016 10:09 AM

Feb 2016
Seems like OP isnt embarrassed about watching anime, rather, embarrassed about being seen as a "associate" to the amentioned kid.

I like what I like, someone else stepping in doesn't change that. I might get into a similar situation as you because I wouldn't want attention, so I would avoid such things. I don't want leery eyes on me during lunch period and what not...

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 22, 2016 10:17 AM
Feb 2012
If anything, you'd be embarrassed for being of the same species as the weeb.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 22, 2016 12:18 PM

Oct 2015
Rachmaninow said:
If anything, you'd be embarrassed for being of the same species as the weeb.

As opposed to say, ISIS members.

Weebs aren't the worst thing in the world, despite what sheltered teenagers believe.

You are extraordinarily lucky if you are born into a position where you can hate/fear something as trivial as teenage kids running around with naruto headbands.
Apr 23, 2016 7:31 AM
Apr 2014
YES. Weaboos give "just watching anime"-fan a lot of stigmas to live with.
Apr 23, 2016 8:17 AM

Apr 2016
i try not to care at all what others do or like, i just watch what gets me a boner
but then again, im subconsciously a "hipster" at heart even though i dont wanna be one lol
(i used the word hipster so ppl can understand easily what i mean, eventhough the word has other meanings)
Apr 23, 2016 8:17 AM

Feb 2009
But everyone here is a weeaboo, OP. Even if other weeaboos make you feel insecure.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

51 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

91 by WaffleMaster89 »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you tried to rewatch your old childhood anime shows as a more conscious anime fan?

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

16 by -Aurelius- »»
12 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

41 by cody »»
12 minutes ago

» Guess the Deadly Sin of your Favorite characters in your profile

IpreferEcchi - Apr 9

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.