Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2011 3:47 PM

Nov 2010
I'm curious about the composition of our members. How many of you are magical girl fans, and how many of you only enjoy Madoka because it deconstructs the mahou shoujo genre?

Personally, I enjoyed Nanoha, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. I went into Madoka Magica with high expectations for a similar series. That said, I still loved the dark turn this story took in episode 3.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 20, 2011 8:20 PM

Nov 2007
Rayearth, Sakura, Shugo Chara! series, etc.! LOVED Rayearth the most.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 24, 2011 4:40 PM

Jan 2008
Haven't really seen all that much, although I've been planning on doing so for a while now. Saw Nanoha first and loved it (possibly a little too much... I'm bordering on fanboy here, it scares me) and then watched Madoka, which I'm pretty much full on addicted to. Also started watching some of the Precure series recently and still have plans to check out Utena and Mai-Hime/Otome sometime in the near future.
Mar 26, 2011 9:47 PM

Mar 2011
unpredictable story, we can see many people create their prediction about the ending. And I like this genre although different to other maho shoujo.
I've watched episode 10 that is currently the best episode for me sometimes.
Just for finding the changing of akemi homura and to see details of art there.
Mar 27, 2011 4:12 PM

Oct 2009
hm hm hm
I loved Magic Knight Reyearth and CCSakura though those are the only ones that I seemed to enjoy a lot haha. Most mahou shoujo anime today are ...meh. too shoujo hahahaha
but everyone has their own tastes. :3 I loved MadMagica because like those two, it wasn't too 'kiddie-like'

looking up at the posts above, looks like we have almost the same opinions haha more or less
Apr 5, 2011 11:54 PM

Sep 2010
im pretty sure this is my first mahou shoujo, but if someone can prove me wrong, :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2011 6:22 AM

May 2009
I've seen a few, but I never really enjoyed them. I hate stereotypical stuff.

Madoka was a recommendation from a friend after she convinced me that it was 'dark; it's Higurashi of the MG genre!' And it was.
Apr 18, 2011 8:18 PM

Nov 2007
Card Captor Sakura is my favorite magical girl series, even though I love Madoka. I was a massive fan of it when I was little and I re-watched it about 2 years ago and still loved it.

I think Sailor Moon was my first magical girl, but I don't know. I was too young back then.

Also during my childhood, I've watched Wedding Peach and Magical Project S (I think). I really liked the villain in MPS. She's the friend of the main character, and she's forced into transforming into a dark magical girl against her will. She's not even aware of it. I didn't care about the main girl, but I was fascinated by the friend character.

I've tried several magical girl shows since then, but I haven't been able to stomach them, other than Heartcatch Precure.It has a really nice art direction and somehow, seriously, manages to avoid cheese and have real charm to it. If anyone wants to try a more conventional (meant for kids) mahou shoujo, this is the one to try.
Apr 21, 2011 10:45 AM

Apr 2009
Let's see, I've read Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knights Rayearth and all that's been translated of the several Nanoha series. For anime, I've watched Card Captor Sakura, Pretear, Ground Defense Mao-chan (why did I suffer through that?), All the Nanoha series, Tonde Boorin, Puni Puni Poemi (does that even count?) and of course Sailor Moon as a kid.

These days, if I watch a magical girl show, it's gotta be short and sweet. And although Nanoha wasn't short if you look at it all, there are plots that are completed in each season. Also, it's more serious, which is why I of course like PMMM. Of course I wouldn't mind another Card Captor Sakura but I think I'd inevitably compare too much to the classics and not like it.

May 4, 2011 8:13 PM

Jun 2008
Does Utena really count as a "magical" girl series? It doesn't really come off as such. I started it during Madoka but finished it first, so in a way you could say that came before Madoka for me.

But before even that I watched 51 episodes of Shugo Chara! and Mai-Hime. I think that is all. They were both pretty good, but Madoka surpasses everything.
May 6, 2011 2:51 PM

Nov 2010
Utena is technically a mahou shoujo series, but yeah, it really doesn't come off as such.
Jul 19, 2011 10:59 AM

Jul 2011
I've seen others (Cardcaptor Sakura, Nanatsuiro Drops, Happiness!, Moetan, etc.), but Madoka has to be my favorite by far.
previously UnhappyRefrain - non-binary - they/them - California
Tumblr - Twitter - Youtube - DeviantArt
old sig
Sep 30, 2011 5:36 PM

Nov 2010
I like the magical girl genre., and I've watched a few of those anime. But Madoka is my hands down favorite.
Nov 10, 2011 5:56 PM

Jun 2011
Sailor Moon was my first magical girl series. Since then, I've seen (and enjoyed) several others, including Magic Knight Rayearth, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Cardcaptor Sakura, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, Pretear, and Princess Tutu.

Obviously, I enjoy magical girl series, but I think Madoka has become my new favorite because it deconstructs the genre.
Nov 11, 2011 5:36 AM

Aug 2011
The genre never sounded too appealing to me. I'm not even sure why I even watched it in the first place. Maybe because it was really highly rated. But it turned out being one of my favorite anime. But probably only because of how dark it was.
Mar 13, 2012 12:21 AM

May 2011
Yep, it was my first MS anime... i think. I have never been fan of MS, can't remember which site tagged Madoka as Comical LOL... effin surprise. Maybe Madoka its not completely MS but that's another topic.
Apr 5, 2012 3:37 PM

Mar 2012
There should be another option in this poll. Madoka was my first magical girl series, but I didn't avoid the genre like the plague. Similarly, there have to be some options between love and hate if you've seen magical girl series before :)

After watching Madoka I decided to try Nanoha, but it's been on hold at episode 2 for a while now...
Sep 8, 2012 10:37 PM

Sep 2012
I don't think I've watched a "normal" mahou shoujo anime (Lyrical Nanoha, Princess Tutu, ...does Strike Witches count?) but I've liked the ones I've seen.

I don't think I'd care for regular ol' MG shows.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Oct 17, 2012 4:02 PM
Sep 2012
My friend was the one who introduced me to the magical girl genre, and madoka was my first magical girl series. When my friend told me about the genre i wasn't really interested in it. but thats when i watched the first episode of madoka magica i got really intrested.
Code name: THE BEAST!!
Jun 10, 2013 10:55 PM

Apr 2013
at first i thought i woudnt really like this type of genre, but then it turned out to be really good, better not judge a book by its coverr
Jul 12, 2013 9:05 AM

Jun 2011
I think the 1st Mahou Shoujo anime I've seen was Sailor Moon, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Madoka (Plus 200+ episodes is ridiculous to watch)

I have seen a few other Mahou Shoujos that I have enjoyed however. That would be Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome. They weren't as dark as Madoka, but still dark enough to make it interesting to watch.
Nov 23, 2013 1:29 PM

Oct 2011
Lesson well learned
Feb 1, 2014 12:13 AM

Apr 2013
I know CC Sakura and SM and it's sticks true to its kawaii art but this Madoka really hooked me up since it breaks off the usual genre and it's just cool to see 'innocent' magical girls being depressed and all
Tatakai~
Feb 1, 2014 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
Honestly besides Sakura Card Captors that I saw as a child, I was never interested in this genre.

I watched this series more as a challenge to see if Urobuchi was really that great of a writer after I saw lots of praising for Madoka in TV Tropes. I watched to see what all the hype was about and cynical at the idea of deconstruction of Mahou Shoujo.

What else can I say but that I was hooked? Finished the series in one sitting after the shock that was episode 3 and loved all of it. No regrets.
May 2, 2014 11:47 AM

Apr 2014
I have watched some MS anime before PMMM. But they all kinda bored me. Madoka Magica is something special. :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2014 8:51 AM

Nov 2012
No, my first was Sailor Moon. Many years ago. I don't watch many magical girls series nowadays, and if I do, it's for the *cough* yuri *cough* subtext in them.
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
Apr 9, 2015 11:25 AM
Oct 2013
Cardcaptor Sakura (the english dubbed version) was the first magical girl anime I saw as a kid. Since I started watching subbed anime, I've only watched a couple others besides Madoka Magica (which is my absolute FAVOURITE); Shugo Chara, Kill la Kill, and I'm currently watching Sailor Moon Crystal and Houkago no Pleiades (I think it's considered magical girl....?)
Jun 11, 2015 9:36 AM

Aug 2014
Nope. First magical girl series was probably W.I.T.C.H., then 'Mew Mew Power' and Winx. (I don't think Trollz counts) They are all western ones. The first anime one I watched was Tokyo Mew Mew, followed by Futari Wa Pretty Cure.

I gave the Sailor Moon dub a ago at some point, not sure when, but only got to episode 15.

I've seen looaaddss more magical girl series now and am still going to watch more.
Slimes say "Goo'd day".
Aug 18, 2015 2:28 PM
May 2015
I hate the Magical Girl series but Madoka Magica is a huge exception.

Jun 22, 2017 2:52 AM

May 2009
I watched some Sailor Moon as a kid but was never hugely attached to that show.

As a young adult I watched the Nanoha series and very much enjoyed it. A number of its characters are quite admirable and perhaps even could be seen as role models. I've seen the three main seasons (first, A's, and StrikerS), and ViVid Strike!, though not ViVid.

I also watched Magic Knight Rayearth. In fact I've played (the SNES version), read, and watched it.

I've also seen some Pretty Cure, including all of Fresh, which I enjoyed. Been meaning to watch Futari wa and Heartcatch but haven't gotten around to it.

While I don't gravitate toward magical girl series in general (I don't feel any special desire to watch Cardcaptor Sakura, for example), I can certainly enjoy it.

My opinion of MadoMagi is a bit odd in that I'm a huge fan of Homura but can't say I like the show's story itself, because of a couple reasons, the second of which is that I disagree with how it turned out. In fact (I feel) I'm sorta in Homura's shoes when it comes to going "wait, what the hell just happened, this wasn't supposed to happen" at the ending of the TV show. And perhaps as a result, I haven't watched Rebellion, since I'm not yet done disagreeing with the show. But Homura herself is an inspiring character, for me. She represents the concept of "things weren't supposed to go wrong like this; they were supposed to happen this other way", and the desire to rectify such wrongs.

(The other reason is that I feel the show didn't do a good job connecting me emotionally with the characters and giving me a good understanding of the world, beyond just laying out the setting's rules in many words.)

More recently I've watched Yuki Yuna Is A Hero (Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru), and I appreciated it. While I could see superficial similarities with MadoMagi, it certainly took things in a different direction and is a pretty distinct story in its own right.

(Amusingly, I have a friend, whose opinion of these latter two shows is sort of the opposite of mine. He has a very low opinion of YuYuYu and a high opinion of MadoMagi.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 21, 2021 8:35 PM

Jan 2021
Does Kill la Kill count as a magical girl anime? Anyway, I avoid the genre entirely except for Madoka Magica. It just looks boring and way too girly for me. Madoka Magica has the edge, clusterfuck of a plot, and super cute and downright depressing relationships between the characters. I feel like others wouldn’t have those elements, and if some did, they wouldn’t feel as “epic.”
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Member Cards [CLOSED] ( 1 2 3 )

hontobaka - Apr 26, 2011

100 by Byuubei »»
Oct 14, 2012 4:35 AM

» Homura's Powers (warning: Spoilers for episode 12)

AceJade - Apr 24, 2011

3 by Cyanwasserstoff »»
Aug 13, 2012 5:11 AM

» Homura needs your help!

ataraxial - Mar 30, 2012

1 by ataraxial »»
Apr 22, 2012 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.