Forum Settings
Forums

Director Shinbo Wants to Produce Heartwarming Spin-off of Madoka Magica

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 19, 2011 3:51 AM

Jul 2009
I don't know about "unique characters," but I'm all for it if it either follows the original in being a deconstruction of it's genre or has more yuri subtext.

Mar 19, 2011 4:29 AM

Oct 2010
So a Mahou Shoujo series decides to get 'creative' for once by having a dark dramatic setting, reflecting the harsh but true aspects of life and consequences for having one's wish granted, rather than the cliche of a light-hearted story about Moe Lolis in flashy clothing, fighting for the sake of the world with the power of love and friendship...

...and someone had to redo it so it follows the old tradition of how magical girls supposed to be? -_-
Mar 19, 2011 4:46 AM

Oct 2009
A heartwarming story with Madoka & Co. ? But they already made that, it's called Hidamari Sketch...
Mar 19, 2011 5:19 AM

Sep 2007
Pathetic and pitiful.
Just Shinbo want to do more money ...
Mar 19, 2011 6:23 AM

Jul 2008
If you are not happy about this then do not watch it, it won't change the fact that the first season was awesome, neither do it give it a bad reputation (Mahou shoujo are kind of rare if you compare them with the bad harem that you will all watch).
Heart warming do not mean the cliche you are anticipating, who know if they are going to be magical girls anyway.

As for me, after thikning a bit more about it, i'll watch it and enjoy it.
Mar 19, 2011 6:28 AM

May 2010
Not sure how I feel about this spin-off. And again, it could be a troll.
Though, I do adore adooore Kyouko, so I wouldn't mind watching it if she's there.
Well.. I will watch if she's there!

And..
llxwarbirdxll said:

DO. WANT. Seriously! <3

love is such a strange thing
but with you, it doesn't matter

Mar 19, 2011 6:32 AM

Aug 2009
ShiroiRyu said:
Pathetic and pitiful.
...whaaaa?..... Animators who do not aim for financial profit is are elitists and failures; they should all go to hell.

(*except Studio Ghibli since they will earn money whatever they do.)
Mar 19, 2011 8:46 AM

Aug 2009
More Madoka is never a bad thing.
Mar 19, 2011 9:02 AM

Sep 2009
Trolling us again y/y? Do want. Love Madoka Magica.
Mar 19, 2011 9:42 AM

Jun 2009
Shinbo. Do not attempt to destroy the greatness that Gen has bestowed upon you.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Mar 19, 2011 9:46 AM

Nov 2008
AidanAK47 said:

This entire announcement has already stated that he will destroy the greatness of Madoka Magica unless he is trolling big time and makes the spinoff an even worse bloodbath than the original.

Mar 19, 2011 9:52 AM

Apr 2009
Man, they shouldn't do this. Happy slice-of-life style works don't work with the way this franchise is played out.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 19, 2011 10:36 AM

Jul 2008
Hoppy said:
makes the spinoff an even worse bloodbath than the original.

If he manage to do that without making it feel ridiculous and forced then I shall be happy.
Mar 19, 2011 1:24 PM
Dec 2007
Hoppy said:
AidanAK47 said:

This entire announcement has already stated that he will destroy the greatness of Madoka Magica unless he is trolling big time and makes the spinoff an even worse bloodbath than the original.
You do know you cannn ignore the spin-offs right? Just pretend they don't exist.

Mar 19, 2011 3:52 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Haha, yes. Announcing a heartwarming story and then killing us with the story. I'm in!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 19, 2011 5:35 PM

Jul 2010
Shinbo is being suspicious, and Gen not responding to this makes it a lot more suspicious. >.<
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Mar 19, 2011 5:39 PM
May 2010
When has a spinoff ever made the original any worse? That is a problem with people's thought processes, and not the original work.

It's funny how people are saying Shinbou is only interested in profits, yet he continuously brings back things that don't sell nearly as well, or even fail. (MARIA HOLIC ANYBODY!?)

But seriously, I don't hate nor like this idea. I do think it would be better if he was trollin' us hard, however.
Mar 19, 2011 7:42 PM

Mar 2009
I'll watch it.
Mar 19, 2011 8:27 PM

Mar 2009
Like i'm going to fall for that.
Mar 19, 2011 8:30 PM

Jul 2009
ringoo4 said:
ShiroiRyu said:
Pathetic and pitiful.
...whaaaa?..... Animators who do not aim for financial profit is are elitists and failures; they should all go to hell.

(*except Studio Ghibli since they will earn money whatever they do.)

So, people who choose to make shows that doesn't rely on just entertainment value, but has actual depth, that doesn't pander to otakus, are failures and elitists? I hear ya.

Not quite, but more or less.
Mar 19, 2011 11:42 PM

Aug 2009
^ *implying death and serious tone isn't entertainment value, or implying only moe lovers are consumers*

>_>

Quality series follow on when it pinpoints what consumers truly wants. Madoka Magica was successful since aniplex knew that consumer wants something 'different' out from 'cliched genre'. Rio-rio gate is a huge failure since it trashes all the things that consumer wants, and considers showing cosplay and boobs are entertaining and otaku-pandering. Consumer DO want something different, not just entertainment.

There is famous quote said by Tomino Yoshiyuki, one of the most respected animation director + producer from Sunrise;
"Something that creator should NEVER say is, 'I want to make what I want, I do not want commercial product'. If someone says that, you must kick him out of this place. If you do not success, you will not able to support the funding, thus you are out without having next product."
Consumer's need must be the first priority for any animators, and quality follows naturally.
Mar 20, 2011 1:43 AM

Dec 2009
...why do i have the feeling that we're being trolled again ?
Mar 20, 2011 2:34 AM

Nov 2007
Hoppy said:
Jumping to conclusions much?

ringoo4 said:
There is famous quote said by Tomino Yoshiyuki, one of the most respected animation director + producer from Sunrise;
"Something that creator should NEVER say is, 'I want to make what I want, I do not want commercial product'. If someone says that, you must kick him out of this place. If you do not success, you will not able to support the funding, thus you are out without having next product."
Consumer's need must be the first priority for any animators, and quality follows naturally.

Mar 20, 2011 3:01 AM

Mar 2009
Director Shinbo wants more money.
Mar 20, 2011 3:11 AM

Oct 2010
mrjiggles said:
I don't know about "unique characters," but I'm all for it if it either follows the original in being a deconstruction of it's genre or has more yuri subtext.
Oh what the heck? Who made that GIF? That is incredibly exciting strangely, Madoka x Homura? Sounds to me like the make love not war is coming up as the message.
Mony-Chan said:
Looks to me also that yuri would not be a bad thing for the fan service genre. So give me some kisses and panties display between the girls.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 20, 2011 6:10 AM

Jul 2010
ANN version:

In an article devoted to the ongoing Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime in the 34th issue (2011 Spring/April) of Asukashinsha's Quarterly S magazine on Tuesday, director Akiyuki Shinbo revealed that he wants to do a "Madoka 2" project as a side story to the anime series. While he said that writer Gen Urobuchi's plot scenarios and story for the anime series are excellent, he thinks that the characters' personalities are also well-developed with Ume Aoki's designs and the voice cast's talent. Therefore, he wants to do an ordinary slice-of-life story with the characters instead.

When the interviewer suggested that a different, "heartwarming" version of the story might be enjoyable to watch, Shinbo responded that such a version could have a bath scene, deal with the teacher Kazuko Saotome's romantic life, or cover the attempt of Madoka's mother to join a company. He added that if he can, he would like to do a second season or a side story of their characters' daily lives.

go bash Shinbo guys if you want, anime is business, milking is part of it, but producing "quality" stuff is another matter that others tend to forget but Shinbo wouldn't.

and besides he said either a second season or a side story, which means he wants to continue doing Madoka in either what opportunity he'll have. being SHAFT's first original anime series?? Shinbo is dedicated to it. ^^

Gen haven't reacted to this yet, i wonder what he'll say. (he's sure not reacting to it so they can troll people once more, very suspicious >.<)
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Mar 20, 2011 9:32 AM
Dec 2010
Wasabi said:
A spinoff would just ruin everything the original stood for. It's not suppose to be pretty.

Agree.

mrjiggles said:

Yeah, a yuri subtex would be nice! Great gift :)

Anyway, I want a second season~

heartofsilkyMar 20, 2011 9:53 AM
Mar 20, 2011 9:34 AM
Nov 2009
A different approach to Madoka? Yummy.
Mar 20, 2011 2:46 PM

Aug 2008
I'd watch it.
Mar 20, 2011 3:07 PM

Oct 2009
Hoppy said:
Lets hope he's trolling then... I want BLOOD!!!
Mar 20, 2011 5:36 PM

Nov 2010
I totally be up for a Madoka spin off like that. If it carries through Shinbo wil be my god of commercial win! :P Don't have much to say in my edit but if Shinbo isn't trolling and is being serious I can see it working. A heartwarming Madoka can work as long as quality writing is involved and it is presented well. The reason why Madoka is so great as the dark anime it is, is due to the presentation.
Universal_SheePMar 20, 2011 6:19 PM
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Mar 20, 2011 5:53 PM

Jul 2009
@ringoo4

I'm not totally against Shinbo being $hinbo or otaku pandering shows. I'm just going with what you said.

ringoo4 said:

Failures? Failures at what? Failing to satisfy the needs of the majority market (otaku), yes, but failing to satisfy the other market, albeit, a small market, no. And hey, you said it yourself:

ringoo4 said:
Consumer's need must be the first priority for any animators.

ringoo4 said:
implying only moe lovers are consumers*

Exactly

Now elitists? That's just silly.

ringoo4 said:
Quality series follow on when it pinpoints what consumers truly wants.

Going by that, K-ON! is the epitome of quality anime.
MISTER_JIGGLESMar 20, 2011 6:08 PM
Mar 20, 2011 9:53 PM

Nov 2009
An alternative settings anime would be OK, but first finish madoka magica :p
Mar 20, 2011 10:35 PM
Feb 2009
i will looking forward for it.

after all the hell that they have been through, we will be able to appreciate how precious a "normal life" is
oblivious is a bliss
Mar 20, 2011 10:44 PM

Jan 2008
not sure I'd want to see something like this since Madoka is such a good series on its own. I'd rather see them work on something else :/

Banner made by suikka
Mar 20, 2011 11:16 PM

Dec 2009
The cast of Madoka is only made interesting because of the situations they are put in. Take that all away, and they are very uninspired, cookie-cutter characters. Thirteen episodes of Meduka and crew would be about as exciting as braille manga.

The last thing this industry needs is another cute girls fan-pandering shit fest.
Your favorite anime is shit.
Mar 21, 2011 12:20 AM

Mar 2009
I don't think that that's a good idea....
<---click ^_^
Mar 21, 2011 1:03 AM

Aug 2009
mrjiggles said:
@ringoo4

I'm not totally against Shinbo being $hinbo or otaku pandering shows. I'm just going with what you said.

ringoo4 said:
Failures? Failures at what? Failing to satisfy the needs of the majority market (otaku), yes, but failing to satisfy the other market, albeit, a small market, no. And hey, you said it yourself:
ringoo4 said:
Consumer's need must be the first priority for any animators.

ringoo4 said:
implying only moe lovers are consumers*

Exactly

Now elitists? That's just silly.
*lol otaku is majority market?... >_>*

Yes, truly successful animation is when that animation affects both otaku and non-otaku population as well. Bakemonogatari is good example. Why? Its godly sales were not just by otaku; its because it appealed other populations such as 1. Female anime fans 2. Light novel readers 3. Nishioishin fans. If Otaku population was really the only profitable market in Japan, K-On should've beaten average volume sale for Bakemonogatari already.

What I was also saying Otakus aren't that of tasteless person as you are implying. They do know what quality is, and they buy what they think is good. Some animation producer might assume 'omg otaku only wants moe moe so I will make k-on copycat!!!'. What I was saying is, that's a huge mistake. You are assuming that aiming to make 'deep animation' is equal to aiming for minority market. That's simply wrong.

Example of elitist? Yamakan is included in those fag animators who says 'animators who listen to consumer = shit'. We also have that loud mouthed Baskatttsuuu director who got sacked for doing whatever he wants and blows budget.

ringoo4 said:

lol, again, you definitely have misunderstanding on what 'otaku buying power' is... but I won't repeat.

K-On is indeed quality animation, even I, who hates that series much as other haters, have to agree with it. Something that centers 100% purity of moeness was unheard of, and K-On did it without single pantsu shot or major sexual shits.

However, my opinion never was 'following consumers need = quality' anyway. I said it's quality that 'FOLLOWS ON' if they also follow consumers well..
Mar 21, 2011 2:36 PM

Nov 2010
ehh the dark theme is really Madoka Magicas strong point so im not sure how this will work out. But ill still watch it of course. I hope it turns out good tho.
Mar 21, 2011 3:28 PM
Jul 2010
I'd say I have to wait and see. I have no idea if he's being serious after the first info we had on Madoka anyway. For what I know, they could be trolling us once more...

Assuming we do get a happy slice-of-life... I don't really like the idea.
Mar 21, 2011 3:59 PM

Jul 2008
I got trolled in the past
OOOHH I THINK I'M GENIUS I JUST FIGURED THIS WAS ANOTHER TROLL!!!ROFLMAOBBQ

Do you guy really think that they'll attemp the same trick twice?
Mar 21, 2011 6:14 PM

Jul 2010
and our slice-of-life Madoka starts now ^^

http://www.zerochan.net/486160
Mar 22, 2011 12:03 AM

Jul 2009
Mar 22, 2011 1:01 AM
Jul 2010
Ginga-Bishoujo said:
I got trolled in the past
OOOHH I THINK I'M GENIUS I JUST FIGURED THIS WAS ANOTHER TROLL!!!ROFLMAOBBQ

Do you guy really think that they'll attemp the same trick twice?

Would anyone ever think they would attempt the same trick twice? It doesn't make sense does it? Well, maybe it does since lots of people would think like you. So yeah, they'd be trolled again!
Mar 22, 2011 2:07 AM

Mar 2011
xXC64Xx said:
Well, if they do make a happy-go-lucky version, I'll probably try watching some of it. It would be different from the original, but it would most likely still be enjoyable.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Assuming the same people behind the current version are gonna be behind it, I have faith that it'll be worth watching.
Mar 22, 2011 2:54 AM

Aug 2009
mrjiggles said:
ringoo4 said:
Yes, truly successful animation is when that animation affects both otaku and non-otaku population as well.

You can't please everyone, you know.
Obviously, you didn't even read what I wrote about success of Bakemonogatari. It's the strongest evidence I have, since otaku-centered 2ch was going all over like 'omg it will not beat godly k-on anyway lolol'. They were wrong, because otaku was not the only buyer.

ringoo4 said:
What I was also saying Otakus aren't that of tasteless person as you are implying. They do know what quality is, and they buy what they think is good. Some animation producer might assume 'omg otaku only wants moe moe so I will make k-on copycat!!!'. What I was saying is, that's a huge mistake. You are assuming that aiming to make 'deep animation' is equal to aiming for minority market. That's simply wrong.

I don't really get what you're trying to say, but explain why generally well-received animation, like The Tatami Galaxy, does poorly in sales.
Tatami Galaxy? What is this I dont even. noitaminA is exclusion of everything.

Generally... well... received...animations? What are you talking about, is that 'westerner has better taste than Japan' suggestion your going with? No animation can possibly 'generally well received' unless it is extremely old and defined classic.

ringoo4 said:
mrjiggles said:
ringoo4 said:

lol, again, you definitely have misunderstanding on what 'otaku buying power' is... but I won't repeat.

Otaku didn't make the majority of K-ON sales? What am I missing?
Because if sales of animation DVD/BD is over 20,000, that means buying power is also supported by non-otaku population and those who are 'converted' to otaku due to that series.

ringoo4 said:
K-On is indeed quality animation

I don't anything needs to be said here :/
Why? I will consider you are disagreeing, which is plain biased anyway.

ringoo4 said:
However, my opinion never was 'following consumers need = quality' anyway.

You said:
Rio Rainbow Gate - does not follow consumer needs therefore not quality
Bakemonogatari - follows consumer needs therefore quality

ringoo4 said:
I said it's quality that 'FOLLOWS ON' if they also follow consumers well..

wat

If it means what I think it mean then its more or less the same.

Using the Tatami Galaxy again, you can't deny its quality, but it *gasp doesn't follow the needs of the majority consumer so it must be failed animation!
It's totally different, if you know the simplest math. >_> Equal sign is not the same thing as subset sign.

And about your constantly exampling of 'Tatami Galaxy has quality', Tatami Galaxy is just a novel adaptation animated in un-appealing way. That's why it cannot sell. People will rather read novel then buying BD/DVD.

Plus, my entire point started when you said;
That's plain wrong. K-On satisfied both otaku and non-otaku population, regardless of which is the majority. Half-assed comments with single sentence helps nothing.
ringoo4Mar 22, 2011 3:01 AM
Mar 22, 2011 8:45 AM

Nov 2007
Erm, no. There's Hidamari Sketch for that.

Mar 22, 2011 9:52 PM

Jul 2009

If there ever was a time I needed to facepalm, it would be now. So much ignorance and blind beliefs, I'm not going to bother.

otherwise

6/10 if not serious, 6 for the ragequit
Mar 22, 2011 10:40 PM

Oct 2009
*Braces self for trolling*
I'll watch this regardless though. Kyuubey Massacre OVA would be nice though.
Mar 23, 2011 1:02 AM

Jun 2009
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
7 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.