Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 17, 2011 5:18 AM
Jan 2011
chrispnJun 6, 2017 2:59 AM
Jul 21, 2011 2:41 PM

Jul 2010
the official is always better.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Nov 6, 2011 3:40 AM

Sep 2011
Haven't read the fan translations, but I can safely say that the official ones have flaws. Sometimes the syntax is all over the place and makes it really difficult to understand some sentences. Other than that, it's pretty good.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Nov 27, 2011 12:38 PM

Apr 2009
Having read all the 11 volumes translated by fans, and two official ones... I have to say that prefer the former to the latter. While being released officially usually means higher standards, higher quality - it is not always the case (some still remember Mangagamer's translations of Higurashi and Edelweiss, and Hirameki's release of Ever17). And Haruhi is a great example proving the statement. The fan localization gives off the feeling of passion and some serious effort born out of it. Sure - there's been a few grammar mistakes and syntax issues which were obvious even for a non-native speaker such as me... but the very same applies to the official releases. From to time the wording seemed strange, and I kind of felt that people responsible for translation hadn't quite understood the atmosphere. It's a matter of preference, really, but I don't see any problems for which the fan translations could be criticize. And the 10th and 11th volumes - which are taken off the translator's site already - are both translated in a semi-pro manner which would please most of the readers.

Nov 30, 2011 6:44 PM

Jul 2008
ClaudeDante said:
Haven't read the fan translations, but I can safely say that the official ones have flaws. Sometimes the syntax is all over the place and makes it really difficult to understand some sentences. Other than that, it's pretty good.

I own the first four official novels. They are really hard to read smoothly. I have to reread a lot of it to get the meaning. Maybe it is translated to literally? I don't know.
Dec 19, 2011 6:07 PM
Jun 2011
I've read both the fan translations and official releases. I'd say the best thing about the fan translations is that they preserve stuff like Japanese name order and honorifics, which is important. I hate having to read "Haruhi Suzumiya." However, at the same time, I feel like the official releases read smoother and have less errors in terms of meaning. Also, I feel as if official releases try to have a different feeling for each of the characters, while the fan translations, though by and large very accurate, lose the individuality of each character's voice. Just by 5 cents. To be honest, there's not a big difference. And fan translations come out faster so I read those first anyways =D.
Feb 9, 2012 3:14 AM

Sep 2011
GarLogan78 said:
ClaudeDante said:

I own the first four official novels. They are really hard to read smoothly. I have to reread a lot of it to get the meaning. Maybe it is translated to literally? I don't know.

I agree. It's written in a bizarre style. However, the last novel (the wavering) was translated by a different translator than the first volumes. And, let me tell you, it's way better now.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Feb 9, 2012 5:34 AM

Dec 2011
ClaudeDante said:
GarLogan78 said:
ClaudeDante said:

I agree. It's written in a bizarre style. However, the last novel (the wavering) was translated by a different translator than the first volumes. And, let me tell you, it's way better now.

That's interesting, though I have no problem with the style of the earlier stuff. Do you know if the future ones will be done as the same person as did 1-5 or the person who did 6?

(I own the first 5 books but don't have the 6th yet)
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 10, 2012 7:22 AM

Sep 2011
I have no idea whether or not the same translator will continue working with the series. What I can say is that I hope he will since he's way better than the first one.

More topics from this board

» Intuition Thoughts/Opinions

Sosbrigade_123 - Jun 24, 2021

6 by anizawa89 »»
Jan 21, 11:25 AM

» New Haruhi novel announced

Pitto_ - Sep 24, 2023

15 by amare135 »»
Nov 13, 2023 12:16 PM

» Can I mark this series complete after Intuition?

ProsjektAero - Jun 2, 2023

5 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Best light novel in the series?

EnduringInsanity - Apr 24, 2013

11 by removed-user »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi Series Chapter 41 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 20, 2023

1 by AnimeIsWrong »»
Feb 25, 2023 11:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.