Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 10, 2011 8:51 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Believe or not, this is how Homura was at the beginning...

The episode starts with some sort of parallel world in the past, where Homura is a cute dojikko meganeko girl, and Madoka and Mami are working together as magical girls... I was surprised how Madoka had overwhelmingly cheerful personality compared to Madoka we had known.

However, both of them ends up getting killed (no surprise there...), which leads Homura to become a magical girl and time-travel back to where we were.

And wash, rinse, and repeat... Guess what, it's the "Endless Eight" all over again with each one having different bad endings! (Good job to SHAFT showing magical girls team-killing each other -_-)

Anyway, well that explains why Homura ended up having such cold personality after going through all those troubles... Anyway, guess who benefits from all these repetition? It's KYUBEI!!!! getting endless supply of renewable energy.

Mar 10, 2011 10:22 AM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
well...
what should be done?
Mar 10, 2011 11:45 AM

Nov 2007
FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I was expecting this, but I wasn't prepared for the Epic WIN execution!
A+ Shaft. Wow what an awesome ride.
Waiting for subs, but a lot was clear by simply watching.
Mar 10, 2011 2:31 PM

Sep 2010
This was.. an amazing episode. I even cried, poor Homura! Though it didn't really 'put her into a new light' for me, I was kinda expecting this to happen. Still, to see Madoka actually DIED, that really surprised me.

The scene where Mami killed Kyouko and was about to kill Homura, but being killed by Madoka, made me O_____O;;

I LOVED the scene where Madoka and Homura were about to die(well, turn into witches) together. Homura looked like she felt as if it was okay like this, but then Madoka had to clean her Soul Gem, ugh.

Still, I have the feeling she already failed again this time, because Mami, Kyouko and Sayaka died. Homura made her wish because Madoka died and she wanted to go back. Madoka might wish for the same.
...If the ending will be like: Madoka/Homura goes back into time, and everything starts once again, THE END, I'll be angry. D:
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Mar 10, 2011 2:34 PM

Feb 2008
This time we got more details about Homura, how she become a Mahou Shoujo and why she don't want to make Madoka a mahou shoujo?
Different Paralax Madoka already become a Mahou Shoujo.

QB is everywhere, whenever she go back in the past.

QB is kind of neutral like some said before

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Mar 10, 2011 2:45 PM

Jan 2008
I'd like to give this episode a 11/10. I haven't seen THIS much content stuffed into 20 minutes. The alternate time lines, the different outcomes, the pure PAIN of each and every ending.... MAN, those LE I preordered are worth every cent.
Mar 10, 2011 2:48 PM

Jan 2009
Well, at first I was like "This is kinda dumb. So what, did Homura go back in times x amounts of times after having gone through everyone dying, and then finally because Madoka wanted her to prevent Madoka from ever becoming a mahou shoujo?"
And why did I make that a quotation?
Tl;dr Homura's cool and all, and Madoka when she actually becomes a mahou shoujo is also cool. But I really, really don't like Homura's motivation for giving her all to prevent Madoka from becoming one.

Other than that, this episode was kinda messed up. ED right after half the episode passed, and OP where the ED should've been. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Well, guess that's understandable, since the whole episode revolved around messed up timelines.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Mar 10, 2011 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
God, this episode was so... Epic.
But was so Higurashi.

Parallel Words and opinions about the characters changed:
Mami: I liked you in the start, but do THAT with Kyouko... Your image is dirty for me.
Kyouko: Didn't do anything, so it's okay, I still loving you.
Sayaka: Again, Sayaka?
Madoka: You was acting as a Mahou Shoujo. You was so badass like that. I want to see you again.
Homura: No words... I just love you. You proved be the strongest. Not physically, but mentally.

With this, Madoka will over is Homura dies, right? I don't want a good ending, but I want Homu so much. >_>

The best episode so far.
Mar 10, 2011 3:10 PM

Jul 2010
"Endless Eight" deju vu! Homura changed quite a bit through all those iterations to end up the way she is now.
Mar 10, 2011 3:23 PM

Jan 2010
Quite an episode.

I'm gonna have to say it's gonna be hard topping this show..however, Urobuchi Gen's second show is airing this year too so let's just hope Fate/Zero isn't botched up by ufotable.
Ok™
Mar 10, 2011 3:32 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I should have seen it coming it was like that . This explains everything . Poor Akemi , I had started liking her from the the last epis but in this I felt so sad for her . Having seen so many tragedies and have to repeat again and again till she gets it right . That's just sad .
If only there was an easy way to get rid of Kyuubei and that Walpurgis witch that's coming x.x
Mar 10, 2011 3:41 PM

Nov 2008
Nice episode.
I consider this "episode 0" since it happens before episode 1.

All Homura is another known character theories, including my favored Homura is Junko theory, are jossed. On the other hand, my theory about the episode 1 "dream" is all but confirmed, as are those relating to Homura having to repeat events loads of times.

That leaves 2 episodes to see if Homura can avert Madoka's fate of destroying the Earth and stop Kyubey's plan to collect her energy.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 10, 2011 3:42 PM

Aug 2009
MAL is obviously lagging again, but oh well...

O-la-la. Now that's what I call a backstory. Though, all those things revealed about Homura were pretty much what I had expected, nothing groundbreakingly new, but the execution was marvelous.
Still, I'm not very happy to see Endless Eight-esque loop, was expecting more from such an epic anime.
Seeing Mami again made my day.
Home-made explosive devices O_o Homura must have read The Anarchist Cookbook.
So, now we get to see that fight from the beginning of the first episode.
I sure wonder, now even more than before, who Walpurgis Night was before she turned into a witch.
Oh, QB, you fiendish businessmanalien ಠ⌣ಠ
Mar 10, 2011 3:57 PM

Feb 2009
Good episode, it was quite interesting to see how Homura became the badass magical girl we know.
It seems that Madoka still makes the wrong choice at the end, will she be able to change her fate and counter Kyubei's evil plan? I'd like that, but...
Mar 10, 2011 4:11 PM

Oct 2009
This episode was amazing. Finally shows how Homura came to be.

It was super cool to see her get saved my Mami and Madoka. I missed Mami so much, finally we saw some more of her awesome fighting style. And FINALLY we actually get some scenes of Madoka fighting as a Puella Magi, that will shut up the complainers.

And wow, when Sayaka died and Mami went insane. That's what would have happened if Mami didn't die that day from the witch, she would have been crushed when she learned the truth of the Puella Magi. ;_;

Homura trying over and over again to correct the timeline...it's pretty sad. And she finally just gave up trying to be nice, and turned cold so that she can get shit done. It must hurt her so much to see Madoka making all these bad choices and her friends dying around her. D: Also I remember a theory that somebody said that Mami was in Homura's body, I guess that can't be possible now, since it meant that when Homura broke down at the park with Madoka, she was just letting her old self out a bit.

I'm kind of jealous of Homura's time stop ability, I've always wanted something like that. xD

And in the ED (which is actually the regular OP), they added Kyouko and Homura at the end, when Madoka, Sayaka, and Mami are sitting on that building thing. o:

I can not WAIT for the next episode. I'm wondering if it's going to continue with the current timeline, or if there's going to be another repeat.
Mar 10, 2011 4:19 PM

Apr 2009
This was one of the best flashback episodes I've ever seen. 11/10, Madoka is now 10/10 material for me.
NidhoeggrMar 11, 2011 5:47 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 10, 2011 4:20 PM
Mar 2011
THIS EPISODE BLEW ME AWAYYYYYY SDHADHAHK
anyways, for me too, it confirmed for me homura's past, powers, and motivation.
but she could've at least wished for madoka and the others to remember her or something
AND HOMURA TURNS SO BADASS!!! AHHHHH
it was also really a good episode, they crammed in so much into one episode which I really i liked instead of dragging it on like other animes. and now the OP makes so much sense now too....
Mar 10, 2011 4:36 PM

Oct 2010
This episode explains everything I ever wanted to confirm about Homura Akemi and her powers. Multiple time lines with each one being reset before Madoka becomes a magical girl with most likely Mami being already a magical girl. This is all crazy and not it's not “Endless Eight” as it tends to not repeat itself rather it is Homura trying to find a solution to solving Walpurgisnacht from having Madoka being killed. No Kyuubey does not benefit from any of those time lines all together as each one is reset. Obviously one of those things is to prevent her from being a Magical Girl but what I really think is that 2 Magical Girls are not enough to kill off the Walpurgisnacht witch and thus Homura needs to have Sayaka, Mami and Kyouko present and well to fight all together this witch. If it does not happen nothing will be solved, IMO killing Kyuubey may be impossible task. Regardless Homura is so bad ass in the following,

it's incredible really. Now to elaborate. Going to use another style by going into each time line into details but TBH this is really heart wrenching to see Madoka all killed off and sad as well as on the opposite a dream come true to see Madoka's magical girl outfit with her weapon and to see Homura/Madoka/Mami fight together along with eventually Kyouko. We need to have all those girls that we knew in this series present to kill off that Witch and they need to survive. Guess I was trolled with all those speculations of mines when in fact Homura was but a simple class mate of Madoka.

About Time Line 1, the initial time where Homura becomes a Magical Girl. It starts out as Homura being so cute with those glasses and all shy in her introduction. While the whole class was interested in her she still kept being shy. Even while writing out problems in class she still had a shy complex. Upon walking outside, I am not sure what the floor represented of that witch but it looked to my like the notion “murder” and the next minute Homura does find herself in the witch world. Kind of reminded me of a desolated place where war erupted. The gate itself of the witch at first the statues reminded me of Madoka but then it was not yet I wonder what does her runes mean? Certainly the figures that are so abstract it almost like they were meant to be deformed through death or murder were far too vague to know what exactly they were except that it could have been people that got captured by the witch. What came as joy is Madoka and Mami in magical girl suits O_O OMG joy in the spoiler
I am sure many fans are delighted at that part. OMG Madoka using her weapon and firing it in the spoiler
wow! Just amazing and already exciting. By the looks of it it is powerful. While I loved seeing both Madoka and Mami together fighting as well as savoring tea and cake together with Homura talking with them about what she witnessed.

Comes Walpurgisnacht, disaster strikes as Mami is fatally wounded with blood marks clearly being seen. Madoka has no choice but to fight and it was nice to see her large tear Soul Gem on her body. Homura on the other hand starts to freak out and ultimately cries herself out while being over Madoka who does die in the spoiler
It is interesting to notice after all this that Kyuubey's face was annoying as ever and that Homura finally makes her wish with her soul being extracted from her body without Kyuubey even touching her here while he touched Sayaka strangely to do that process. Thus results the creation of Homura's device in the spoiler
while I don't know why there was a drop there but seemed like soul blood being a tiny fragment from her soul needed to create such a device. The device is then being projected into a time warp that makes it Homura opening her eyes within the infirmary with her Soul Gem while I don't understand why it is already tainted less it meant that her time travel powers used already made a taint in it. Thus ends the first time line.

About Time Line 2, starts out with Homura actually being back in the past within the school's infirmary. Upon getting out she greets proudly Madoka while boasting she is now a magical girl while Madoka does not recognize her at all yet has such a adorable shy face. So Homura starts out by showing off her powers that she can time freeze a object such as the barrel while beating it with a golf club? In the spoiler
O_O What? Why that is a lame weapon at first although it is interesting that she can pummel a object in frozen time and it getting damaged that most likely reflects when the time freeze is off and her device shifts back in to position. Kind of like a clock. Seeing that weapon is useless IMO she starts getting more serious through making explosives, whom one screw up can get you killed IRL. Loved the fight that appears with a witch with Madoka/Mami running on cloth lines in middle of the blue sky. Really screwed up but the witch was more so since she looks like she has six hands that act like legs from a spider and shoots out chairs along with females that have no upper body but figure skating skates? Sounds to me like the girl had problems with her upper body while doing that sport and her failure lead her to grief that caused her to become a witch. I am curious as to what her rune name means.

While Madoka for a first time we see using her bow and it being able to split arrows into multiple arrows in the spoiler
to noticed her bow is a long type bow as well it looks like a branch that has many fragments of her soul gem being integrated into it. Mami on the other hand was cool while running through the line clothes with her string and strangely I found a little arousing to see her pulling her string through her breasts since they are rather the biggest of the whole bunch. Homura herself was pretty cool here while she did panic a little she did a wonderful job of freezing time on that walkway of Mami made by her strings and ultimately putting that made bomb into incinerating the witch. I loved that Mami created a cup to hold her while she was falling. While that face rubbing of Madoka was very heartwarming it turned itself into a disaster yet again with Madoka clinging her Soul Gem being heavily tainted while in my wildest shocking senses it transforms into her Grief Seed in the spoiler
this is all crazy and thus this time line ends with Homura failing and going back.

About Time Line 3, thus starts the third time line. I loved the beginning! It was amazing in regards to Homura going into a police station and robbing their weapons. While doing so I noticed that she puts several weapons among them being a shotgun with bullets into her device. That made me think so much of Zelda in the USA cartoon network that showed Link putting items into his magical bag. In other words, Homura can have unlimited weapons stocked of reasonable size such as firearms and explosives. Thus going back to that flash bang grenade. Comes the first disaster of this time line, that is Sayaka being a witch but her stage is completely changed. Perhaps with dolls that lookalike Hitomi it may mean one thing, Kamijou betrayed her at a dance for Hitomi instead of dancing with her. Still it was pure joy to see Kyouko in action with her face and that fang. While Madoka did splendidly avoiding the wheels of fate even though her dress got rips in the spoiler
Ultimately comes the interesting part to know more about Homura's powers. Her freezing of those fate wheels in order to stop Madoka from being damaged was splendid but what really caught my attention while she was aiming with her gun for what I believe may be a desert eagle or 45 caliber type, she was actually able within the time freeze to freeze the bullets themselves while having those bullets frozen she had time to activate her bomb that resulted in Sayaka being burned out of existence and everyone bearing witness to it all.

That issued was completely insanity before my eyes, as Madoka cried herself to tears, while Mami got insane and lost her mental state. She stringed Homura into submission while shooting out Kyouko's Soul Gem in the spoiler
suggesting further that she dies out and transforms back to normal while really being a dead body shell. So it proves that once the Soul Gem is killed off whether you are a Magical Girl or not, you are dead. It is obvious that Mami's face here proved more than enough that she was insane in her mind and completely nuts after not believing what happened to Sayaka. Unbelievable as it was to my eyes Madoka shot Mami's Soul Gem projecting her from the looks of her eyes being the same as Kyouko into a state of death. Madoka's crying face served more tears being poured from me. Truly heart wrenching more than last episode. The end just made those tears worst as both Madoka and Homura are fatally wounded in the spoiler
while both of their Soul Gems are polluted beyond repairs. Yet in all this Madoka forfeits her Soul Gem and starts the process of un-polluting Homura's gem with a spare Grief seed. Now that proves that she had trust in Homura to save her by going through time.

Seeing her smile (takes a pause to wipe his tears) and death in the spoiler
was just too much it hurts deeply in the heart the way the setup was done
while fully seeing Madoka's gem being completely dark of pollution. You can pretty much see me as being in the same state as Homura is crying over what is the last breath of Madoka. While Madoka asks her to kill her and Homura does so here of what is vaguely seen as her shooting her gun at Madoka's Soul Gem. This time line was the most sadness I got from this series. It was so well done that crying during writing this ensued. Anime serious fucking emotional business.

About Time Line 4, comes some relief from the previous sadness. Homura most likely though “Fuck it! Enough of this shit!” as she uses her Soul Gem on her eyes to most likely fix her vision to what it may have been back when it was perfect and the sign of her untying her hair meant easily serious business time! I loved how she is portrayed in Madoka's window in the shadow while Kyuubey being held by her and later blown to bits in the spoiler
made my day and gives me a big satisfactory smile. :D Homura really was all business going into a military facility to grab unlimited firepower while doing the machine gun GI Jane in the spoiler
towards the witch for what looked like being 2 legged with pantyhose stockings in a cage (do want to know the meaning of her rune name also). She blows her to bits in a spectacular way. Homura is all business and super serious in this time line. While I am not so sure what happened when Walpurgisnacht came and Homura was being defeated like in the dream of Madoka then moments later after falling down into a desolated place where it seems all is over and the city is ruined. I wonder if she time traveled into a close future to see what happens afterward.

So this is all a crazy time line analysis but I did it once again. So now what you all think of all this time skipping and going? It looks almost as confusing but less than Madame Oreille paradigm in Darker than Black season 2. BTW any noticed the OP change? It seems to suggest what I said in the beginning everyone being alive and fighting Walpurgisnacht witch. Please God make it so in this story is all I got to say in conclusion.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 10, 2011 4:37 PM
Jan 2011
"your wish has improved the entropy"
thank you, come again
Mar 10, 2011 4:45 PM

Jun 2010
Wow. This episode explained alot of things, in regards to the development of this anime. How Homura acts towards Kyubei and Madoka and how she can repeat time again and again to prevent Madoka from becoming a mahou shoujo. It was kinda cruel to see each other shoot their soul gem in one point of the anime to prevent becoming witches. It also showed how each different time period ended up with everyone dying at the end. Hopefully in the next 2 episodes this would be different. Also loved the opening and ending.
Mar 10, 2011 4:52 PM
Mar 2010
While I cann't see the rest of the replies because of what I can only assume is intense lag, I just had to post here because of the sheer greatness of the episode. I was sort of expecting this from SHAFT, but nothing on this level. No complaints here, everything was super dramatic and I think we can all hate QB a little more and love Homura a little more.

I was speechless so many times; each loop was different. Yeah, it reminded me of Endless Eight, but so much better.

Just too much to say. Thursdays are crazy.
Mar 10, 2011 4:53 PM

Jun 2008
Well, now that we’ve seen Madoka as a Puella Magi, I guess it gives SHAFT excuse to not make her get a contract in this timeline.
Mar 10, 2011 4:54 PM

Oct 2010

It.. was.. GLORIOUS!

It was so nice to be looking back into Homura's point of view.
Plus.. she was cute with the braids. < 3

I sort of laughed when Mami dies right away in her first timeline.. just sort of deja vu.
But! Good episode nonetheless, I really can't wait until Episode 11.
Mar 10, 2011 4:56 PM
Aug 2009
a breather episode about Homura's past (much like I said it would be last week). Gotta love when they start killing eachother in that one future though, it was pretty twisted. Lets see what heppens next week, after a breather like that, I have a feeling it's going to be pretty insane.
Mar 10, 2011 4:59 PM

Dec 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Obviously one of those things is to prevent her from being a Magical Girl but what I really think is that 2 Magical Girls are not enough to kill off the Walpurgisnacht witch and thus Homura needs to have Sayaka, Mami and Kyouko present and well to fight all together this witch

I agree they need more than 2 girls!!!

This series will either end tragically or happily haha. The happy ending is all of them survive long enough, but whether or not they all survive to defeat Walpurgis is another question. Then there is also the problem that even if they all do survive Walpurgis, they may eventually turn into witches anyway(as evidence by Madoka defeating Walpurgis but will eventually turn into a witch anyway) .After QB collects all the energy he wants, he looked like he was gonna leave Earth.

Haruhi Suzumiya+ Higurashi, and Mahou Shoujo Madoka have the repeating time theme as common. Hm....Mahou Shoujo Madoka should be the last anime to have this repeating stuff... Repeats need to cool down for a while before new animes should use it again...

Though Madoka does it well, I hope repeats don't get popular haha.
Mar 10, 2011 5:35 PM

Dec 2009
My mind has been blown...
One of the best animes I''ve seen, PERIOD.
Mar 10, 2011 5:38 PM

Jan 2011
I actually liked this episode, it explains why Homura knew so much
and why she has a fiery hate towards QB (well, after learning all THAT, who wouldn't xD;; )
but anyways, I was like "OMFG.. Homura... why so...quiet.. :u"
then later she became kuudere Homura, oh so epic xD;; I think I prefer Kuudere Homura, then shy, clumsy Homura.. :I
anywho, I was happy to see Mami again, but then I was like "No" when she died again, pop up again happy, then she killed Kyoko :c ,and she got killed by Madoka..
:c sad, yet either way, Mami dies early and Sayaka dies later on, and so does Kyoko D<
well, in different ways that is xD;;
all in all, this episode was epic (IMO.. c: )
Mar 10, 2011 5:40 PM

Oct 2010
Gah, I'm too slow. Accidently made another topic. X_X

Either way..
It.. was.. GLORIOUS!

It was so nice to be looking back into Homura's point of view.
Plus.. she was cute with the braids. < 3

I sort of laughed when Mami dies right away in her first timeline.. just sort of deja vu.
But! Good episode nonetheless, I really can't wait until Episode 11.
Mar 10, 2011 5:41 PM

Jul 2010
Wow. I had goosebumps through the whole thing. I've been waiting for the episode on Homura's background since they introduced her character.

Heh, when she was thinking of suicide and the scenery began to change, so did the music, and the first thing that popped in my head was: "That's Mami's theme!" And there she was with... Madoka?! It was interesting to see how they've all interacted differently throughout time. At one time Kyoko, Mami, Madoka, and Sayaka were all in a group together. Heh. And Mami's the one to kill Kyoko? Jeez. I wonder if Sayaka's wish was the same every time? And I wonder what Madoka's wish was.

This episode was amazing. It might even be my favorite yet, but it's hard to say that when they're all so damn good. I don't want this show to end!

Also, this puts a stop to all the "Homura is Madoka" stuff. :P
Mar 10, 2011 5:46 PM

Sep 2007
THAT was excellent <3 I was kinda disappointed of the last week's episode, but this one was pure win! Can't wait for the next one~
Mar 10, 2011 5:49 PM

Dec 2008
First off, the most important thing: MAMI-SAMA!!!! <3<3<3<3

I guess I should have seen the Higurashi parallels right from the start, but at least it's now officially confirmed that all of the loops are Homura's responsibility (seriously, there are people out there that think that Homura isn't responsible for these loops); pretty much everything is still falling into the places which everyone practically predicted by episode two so the only thing left is to see how cruel Urobuchi will be. I can already imagine the most bittersweet conclusion occuring two weeks from now.

And in conclusion....

MAMI-CHAMA!!!! <3<3<3<3
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Mar 10, 2011 6:05 PM

Dec 2007
Prediction were correct it seems. I love the way it was executed though. Instead of the power to travel back in time she wished to redo her meeting which means Kyuubey is the one actually proving her this convenience. Really nicely done. She can redo as many times as she wants because that was her wish lol.

And OMG when the gang finds out the truth lol. Mami going crazy killing Kyoko and Madoka killing Mami. ROFL.

LOVE THIS ANIME!
Mar 10, 2011 6:08 PM

Jul 2009
nishimari said:
God, this episode was so... Epic.
But was so Higurashi.

I had totally the same idea in my head! The concept and solution Homura is trying to fins is very similar to Rika's as well.

This episode somehow gave me good feelings about the whole series for some reason. With Homura's desperation to try and save her friends, it's basically a Devil's Pact QB's scheming around...well, that was quite found out since Sayaka's contract, but still...

I totally loved Homura's attitude, and this flashback gave us more than enough reasons to understand her motives.

I am wondering what they are going to do in the remaining episodes of the season, I sure hope as well that the ending isn't rushed.
Mar 10, 2011 6:12 PM

Apr 2009
not the first time i saw a time loop (i apparently get to have a lot of these regularly with what i watch/read).. but i really feel that this has a very good execution to it.. oh, Urobuchi Gen.. darn you for making your characters and some of your viewers cry..

now i'm just waiting on how this show will end.. i may give my 10 depending on the outcome.. or i may pronounce it as the best anime of 2011 (even though it has just started).. but we'll see..

and Akemi Homura <3.. such character development in this prequel.. i really love prequels..
Mar 10, 2011 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
Mami! <3

That was an amazing episode, Homura's development was so much more then I was expecting! The scene when all five of the girls were together was one of my favorites because of the emotion, I can't believe Madoka killed Mami though. o__o I'm soooo excited for the final two episodes!
Mar 10, 2011 6:26 PM
Oct 2009
oh wow, Homura backstory is different than I imagined. endless 8 much? seeing her character growth was awesome though.

lol @ her stealing weapons
Mar 10, 2011 6:26 PM

Dec 2009
Oh no ! Someone forgot her homework again...

I love this show, love the characters.
This time loop explain so many things, even if it was anticipated it is still surprising and very well done.

And at least I now understand why the teacher hesitates in first episode when she writhe Homura's name, she must has a 'déjà vu' feeling.
Sith_ViciousMar 10, 2011 6:35 PM
Mar 10, 2011 6:30 PM

Oct 2010
nice one!!! i'm sure many people wonder what is Homura's wish. And i love her for that.
---
since ep 11 is title "the only remaining way" i could just make out that

Mar 10, 2011 6:31 PM

Nov 2008
Let's see:
World 1 - Madoka and Mami working together and died at Walpurgis. Homura contracts with Kyubei. RESTARTO
World 2 - Homura, Madoka and Mami are working together. Still, Mami died and Madoka became a witch. RESTARTO
World 3 - Homura tells the truth and the rest are still not convinced. IDK why Kyoko is in that area since Mami did not die yet. Still, Sayaka turns into a witch because of love triangle(inevitable). Mami killed Kyoko thinking that the team are her enemies as well. Madoka killed Mami. Madoka and Homura fights Walpurgis together and lost. RESTARTO
World 4 - Homura fights everything on her own letting Madoka not to contract with Kyubei. Homura can't defeat Walpurgis alone and Madoka contracts with Kyubei. They won though Madoka became a witch(I think). RESTARTO
World 5 - episode 1 to 9 xDD

No wonder why Homura said that no one will believe her when she tells about the truth since no one believed her in the previous world. FORESHADOWING

and ZOMG Homura is repeating the same mistake in the past again!!!

PLEASE HOMURA!!! I HOPE YOU PREPARED A NUCLEAR WARHEAD THIS TIME!!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Mar 10, 2011 6:32 PM

Jan 2008
Oh holy crap that was amazing. Timeloop speculah confirmed, Homura being badass, Madoka in Puella Magi form, insane Mami and Kyubey being exploded, all in one episode. Upgrading score from 10 to 11.
Mar 10, 2011 6:41 PM

Sep 2010
Amazing Episode! Time loop shenanigans (like Higurashi + Endless Eight), seeing all the characters in the different timelines, seeing Homura as a shy girl with glasses, and a bunch of other stuff...

This episode pretty much made me say by its end: "I LOVE THIS SHOW."
Mar 10, 2011 6:43 PM

Feb 2010
Again, the pacing is excellent. Love this show.
Mar 10, 2011 6:46 PM

Nov 2008
Where's my post? =. = anyway

Higurashi anyone? The current world feels like a Minagoroshihen arc. Everyone knows the truth but it is too late for them to survive...

I guess the ending would be Homura will believe in changing fate by miracles xDD or maybe restarting to another world for them to fight their fate but this time, they believed in Homura and creates a miracle xDD or LAUNCH A FREAKIN ATOMIC BOMB goddamit xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Mar 10, 2011 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
"It won't take long before she's destroyed the planet, but well, that's not my problem."
Oh, QB...

Though yeah, that was awesome! Badass Homura, action-girl Madoka, a time loop a la Higurashi, and the return of Mami and Kyoko (even if it wasn't for long) = win. The OP finally making sense was a great way to top it off too.

I might be remembering this wrong, though, but didn't Homura say she didn't expect Sayaka to become a magical girl? Was that just a lie to protect Madoka or what, because the same thing seemed to happen to her in World 3. I guess that could've been the only time out of Homura's 5 worlds she visited when she contracted QB, but it still seems a little odd.

Also, this is even more minor, but was why was Magia played at normal speed when they replayed what happened at the start of episode 1?
Mar 10, 2011 6:57 PM
Feb 2010
I was just dumbfounded while watching this episode. I knew Homura was protecting Madoka, but all the repetitions and having to see her die each time wasn't what I was expecting. ( I got frustrated thinking about how dreadful Endless Eight was while watching though so the wow factor was sorta taken away.)
I would have more to say, but my mind is just, somewhere.
I will say that Homura was wicked cute and badass though and it was nice to see Mami again.
Mar 10, 2011 6:57 PM

Dec 2007
I CAN'T EVEN

So, killing Madoka before she become a mahou shoujo would be a solution, right? But would Homura do that with her only friend?
This anime is so damn unpredictable that I can't even
taterheadMar 10, 2011 7:03 PM
Mar 10, 2011 7:06 PM

Dec 2008
This episode was just...WOW!!
I totally didn't expect that Homura was constantly traveling through time to save Madoka.
Just die, Kyubei!! Just die!!!
Mar 10, 2011 7:32 PM

Nov 2010
Finally an episode where we see what a magic Madoka looks like! I expect Homura to die eventually since the story can "continue" if Homura is alive since she has the ability to restart if this timeline fails. The series is only 12 episodes long hehe~

OR, it's a super happy go lucky ending with everyone alive.
Mar 10, 2011 7:35 PM

Jan 2009
Wow what a great episode. I had a feeling Homura was from the future and well it kind of was right, but didn't expect the whole reliving everything over and over. Man, what great character development for Homura, explains how she knows so much about the Mahou shoujos and how she became a badass lol. Now with the anime coming down to its last two episodes, how will this awesome show end!!!!

Also Loved all the dead kyubey parts, that fluffy furball just needs to be eliminated.....somehow.
Mar 10, 2011 7:35 PM

Sep 2007
This episode is raising a whole bunch of death flags for Homura. I wouldn't be surprised if Homura sacrificed herself so Madoka can live on without becoming a mahou shoujo.

She's relived the same events so many times that she's just become so de-sensitized by it and lives only to prevent Madoka from dying by using whatever means necessary. Lulz at Mami returning in some form or other. They all still end up dying either way. I seriously hope this doesn't turn out with a happy ending. It'd be kind of disappointing to see all this grim and horrible events to end in Madoka's perfect little cookies and cream world.

This show clearly encourages going on the internet and making bombs and stealing weapons from the yakuza.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.