How would you rate this anime?
Mar 4, 2011 9:54 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Denpateki na Kanojo

MAL Anime Information Page: Denpateki na Kanojo

MAL Score – 8.21 (by 6284 users)
Ranked - #186
Popularity - #614

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Denpateki na Kanojo was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
8 Yes - 22.8%
27 No - 77.1%

23 Don't Know - 37.0% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 6.4% of the total number polled
santetjanMar 20, 2011 7:04 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 6, 2011 7:58 AM

Jul 2007
Wow.

When was the last time I saw something this pathetic? Most of the main cast seems to be composed of loons, Hannibal wannabes, and walking Freudian Excuses. Also, that car crash karma towards the end had my forehead knocking on the desk. Deus Angst Machina, anyone?

In terms of story, characters, ambiance, and style, the story pales in comparison to other works out there (Kara no Kyoukai, MPD Psycho, Goth, or even the one-shot His Murder Scheme). The only good thing I can see about this show is that it was only 2 episodes long. At least it didn't try to prolong my suffering.
YuunagiMar 6, 2011 8:37 AM
Mar 6, 2011 5:28 PM

Sep 2009
Well, I have to say that this OVA was quite a pleasant surprise. I went in expecting the standard yandere fare, and got an extremely solid and enjoyable hour and a half of excellent writing, direction, animation, and characterization.

But there is one clear problem: it's only two episodes. It's just not enough. Given a full TV series at the same standard, I'd happily induct this, but after such a meager offering I am left wanting more as opposed to reveling happily in what we have. Hell, even the mere 6 episodes that Eve no Jikan had would've been enough. This just wasn't.

Really, it's something I'd recommend, but not something I'd induct. All I can really do is hope a full TV series is made.
Mar 6, 2011 7:02 PM
May 2010
Yuunagi said:

Most of the main cast seems to be composed of loons, Hannibal wannabes, and walking Freudian Excuses. Also, that car crash karma towards the end had my forehead knocking on the desk. Deus Angst Machina, anyone?

I understand why you would fault this, but I feel that the anime was intentionally calling out a lot of these mechanics by itself to an obvious level. Unlike Elfen Lied which you compare it to, I just didn't feel the attempt to drown itself in pseudo-intellectualism.

I'm not really going to try to objectively defend the use of those things, because you really can't. I also got irked by a couple of the things you mentioned (mainly in the second episode), but certainly not to the level in which it effected you.

At least it didn't try to prolong my suffering.

Funny, because this was my main problem with it. The 'story' and characters had no time to go anywhere, so it's really impossible for me to say anything about it. I would've liked to see more myself, just like Lind.

All in all, I did enjoy it... but it's a definite no.
Mar 6, 2011 10:06 PM

Aug 2009
Allright, here we go.

This show is everything about wanting to be disturbing and holding your breath till the next plot twist. Yet, it is too overdone to be the least disturbing and these so called plot twists are so off keys, so over the top at some point, that I literally face palmed my head. I also read that the show was actually cancelled, therefore it would explain why this show ended with a so lame "emotional/wreck/lolwtf/so deep" ending. It's a shame really, because I still don't know why the author would go with all this "knight" introduction other than finding a silly way to form a relation between the two main.
This show his not without his good points though. For first, the pacing and how everything was developing was actually entertaining. And secondly, animation was fluid and and the artwork was great.

I can only think of this show as a "Kara no Kyoukai" wannabe.
WilioMar 6, 2011 10:17 PM
-Fixing-
Mar 6, 2011 11:32 PM
May 2010
Wilio said:
It's a shame really, because I still don't know why the author would go with all this "knight" introduction other than finding a silly way to form a relation between the two main.

Actually... there was a very short scene of both the them as they were children, so I assume it has something to do with that. This is part of the reason why it needed to be longer, because there is obviously supposed to be a story behind that.

I can only think of this show as a "Kara no Kyoukai" wannabe.

I guess, but I also don't see how Kara no Kyoukai invented these concepts in the first place. The atmosphere and plot direction was different enough that I can say that the author probably didn't get a whole lot of inspiration from Kara no Kyoukai.
11223344Mar 6, 2011 11:45 PM
Mar 6, 2011 11:59 PM

Sep 2009
Actually, this is based on an ongoing series of light novels. There are currently only 3 out. These OVAs are based on the first and third novels. The closest thing this had to "cancellation" was that they skipped the second novel. It was packaged with the Kure-nai DVDs, so if it was screwed over due to lack of sales it wasn't on its own lack of merit.

Considering the length of the OVAs, each novel is probably worth about two episodes, depending on how many liberties were taken with pacing and content. So really there's only around 6, maybe 7 episodes worth of material out at the moment. After a few more novels, maybe we can hope for a TV anime.
Mar 7, 2011 5:50 AM

Feb 2010
I have always been fascinated by villains and this was the kind of show that appeals to me. Personally, I think it's difficult to compare some of the cast with Hannibal Lecter, since this was just a short OVA and it takes much more to create a villain of Hannibal's caliber. I would also add that while they are grouped under the same category as villians, their archetypes are slightly different. Hannibal is more or less an epitome of devil, exuding an air of seductiveness while the ones in the show are plainly deranged individuals.

While I have no issues with the animation, pacing and direction, I guess my main gripe will on the characterizations. Maybe it has to do with my high expectations, the villains simply weren't interesting and this is one of the main essence in a psychological thriller for me. Of course I'm not asking for the next Johan or Griffith here and it would be unreasonable to demand that in a short series. What I'm looking for was sufficient depths and reasoning, especially for lunatics, to buy their demented ideologies. To me, neither events nor tragedies are adequate explanations. It will be better with a combination of inner thoughts and feelings which humanize the characters, and these are somewhat lacking in Denpateki na Kanojo.

I'm unsure how I will vote. It wasn't exceptional nor horrible. I could see that this has great potential as a series because it is following an episodic route. They could, for example, add in morally ambiguous villians and create an array of diverse characters. They could also perhaps drop hints subtly in the background (I'm not referring to obvious close up scenes), and encourages the audience to participate in a whodunit scenario.
Mar 7, 2011 6:55 PM

Nov 2009
I liked this but as others have pointed out, 2 episodes just wasn't enough so it had no real ending. Best thing about it was Hirohashi Ryou being on the voice cast!

Will vote no.
Mar 8, 2011 9:03 AM

Oct 2008
Yuunagi said:
Wow.

When was the last time I saw something this pathetic? Most of the main cast seems to be composed of loons, Hannibal wannabes, and walking Freudian Excuses. Also, that car crash karma towards the end had my forehead knocking on the desk. Deus Angst Machina, anyone?

In terms of story, characters, ambiance, and style, the story pales in comparison to other works out there (Kara no Kyoukai, MPD Psycho, Goth, or even the one-shot His Murder Scheme). The only good thing I can see about this show is that it was only 2 episodes long. At least it didn't try to prolong my suffering.

I'd like to add to this, but it appears that you covered most of the annoyances I had with this series. There is something we can definitely both agree on now. Particularly for the second episode. I haven't watched something this bad in while either. The gimmick about the society of people out to make others unhappy? They really lost me at this point, plus the Freudian Excuses at the end were pathetic. The flies where about the only thing I liked in the second episode. As for the first episode it was better, but still nothing riveting or remotely worth inducting in my opinion either.
Mar 9, 2011 10:59 AM

Nov 2008
I enjoyed this. It was funnier than most comedy anime, I spent most of my time laughi.... wait, did you just say that this isn't supposed to be a comedy?

Seriously, the entire premise is just so ridiculous that I find it hard to take it seriously. I mean, what was with all of that knight an king talk anyway. It was so ridiculous that I just laughed through the entire conversation. And then there's that deluded guy who thought that there were aliens and he had to exterminate them. I know his "sister" had a role to play in that, but we were never given any reasonable explanation as to why he believed that in the first place.

Even if he was abnormal, there must have been something that triggered that thought. And the happiness points? Please, this anime should decide whether it wants to be realistic or fantastic, and then stick to one or the other. I'm leaning towards the latter due to the bond Ame seems to have with Juu Juuzawa, but everything else could have almost been realistic (the key operator being "almost)" had it not happened so close together and in the same area, conveniently allowing for Juu and Ame to get involved.

As an unintentional black comedy, this is a great watch, but as a serious mystery school thriller, it's just too ridiculous to even consider. I guess I would "like" Umineko as well for similar reasons

Anyways, I'm voting no for various reasons. And for future reference, that's a no to Ame as well when her spotlight comes up in the near future. Even if I didn't find it hilarious, there wasn't anything about the characters, plot, or anything else that makes it stand out.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 9, 2011 11:58 AM

Feb 2010
FOE-tan said:

Seriously, the entire premise is just so ridiculous that I find it hard to take it seriously. I mean, what was with all of that knight and king talk anyway. It was so ridiculous that I just laughed through the entire conversation.

I'm leaning towards the latter due to the bond Ame seems to have with Juu Juuzawa, but everything else could have almost been realistic (the key operator being "almost)" had it not happened so close together and in the same area, conveniently allowing for Juu and Ame to get involved.

I may be the weird one here, I can buy that or rather overlook that actually. What's important to me was the clues, villians, twists and resolutions in this thriller. By twists I mean the kind which impress me rather than the ones that make me go 'Lolwut'. Unfortunately, DnK wasn't strong in these areas.

Spoilers:

There is one scene I like and make sense to me though. The part at the end of ep1 where the male lead accept the impale from the girl and kind of restored back of her humanity. Dont know if it's just me thinking like this, people with weak conviction of their 'twisted' beliefs and somehow holding a grudge against the world, usually just need some kind of unwavering moral support.
Mar 12, 2011 2:13 AM

Nov 2008
live2win said:
FOE-tan said:

I may be the weird one here, I can buy that or rather overlook that actually. What's important to me was the clues, villians, twists and resolutions in this thriller. By twists I mean the kind which impress me rather than the ones that make me go 'Lolwut'. Unfortunately, DnK wasn't strong in these areas.

Spoilers:

There is one scene I like and make sense to me though. The part at the end of ep1 where the male lead accept the impale from the girl and kind of restored back of her humanity. Dont know if it's just me thinking like this, people with weak conviction of their 'twisted' beliefs and somehow holding a grudge against the world, usually just need some kind of unwavering moral support.

Well, I would have probably been more willing to forgive such faults if it was more character-orientated *cough*Kure--nai*cough*, but when it mostly focuses on plot like Denptateki does, then that sorts of things start to break your suspension of disbelief.

Also, by the scene in the end of episode one, do you mean the one where Juu starts saying "I don't want to die" and the yangire girl starts getting annoyed with him because she thought that he was "better" than that? Yeah, that was pretty much the best scene in the entire anime. Still not enough to justify a yes or even an abstain in any way, shape, or form, though.

Oh, and any similarities to Elfen Lied are not entirely coincidental.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.