Forum Settings
Forums

Why is there no sections for offical DVD/Manga companies?

New
Feb 27, 2011 7:09 AM
Feb 2011
Kind of wierded out by the fact that you guys have fansubber listings, but no official listings for VIZ, Bandai, SentaiFilmworks, or any of the manga companies like Tokyopop and Vertical. Seeing as there's thousands of fans who are fans of them and buy their products [which compensate the original artists], why not include them in your listings?

Then there's also professional translators- you'd think they'd deserve listing too. Lots of anime sites anf forums have both legit anime discussion and the shadier stuff, so surprised MAL wouldn't have these listings since it seems like an otherwise fine site [I even saw a few Funi ads pop up].

edit---- if this site has something against the industry, not sure I want to stick around. Not a fan of the anti-creator sort of fandom.
PaplooFeb 27, 2011 9:10 AM
Feb 27, 2011 11:23 AM

Feb 2008
The creators have their own pages and the publishers are all mentioned on the pages of the manga/anime as is the region 1 license status. Finding the official sites and approved distribution sources is extremely easy.
The fansub group pages mostly exist to review the quality of their work, something which people like you generally consider rude to do with official releases (in spite of their generally low quality). If there were pages on MAL for the official companies they'd be magnets for trolls and flame wars and would be unlikely to be particularly useful. Though if you have a company you particularly like you're free to search for/create a club dedicated to them. (ex: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2858 )
Feb 27, 2011 1:11 PM
Feb 2011
jacobpaige said:
something which people like you generally consider rude to do with official releases (in spite of their generally low quality)

Woooaaaahhh there. I don't have any problems with people doing reviews of R1 releases. I'll still buy something that has sub issues or adaption issues, but I don't have problem with other people reviewing it and bringing those issues up [it's often something I keep in mind when deciding purchases anyways]. Sites like animeondvd cover a lot of those things, and you'll find their forums often agonize over the tiniest details about releases. That kind of stuff isn't really an issue for me personally, but what you just said was kind of a rude way to describe fans of legit releases.
Feb 27, 2011 1:14 PM

Oct 2007
http://myanimelist.net/anime/121/Fullmetal_Alchemist

Look under the Producers section in the Information panel. They're right there. Also, I have suggested in the past that professional translators should be grouped in with the fansubbers, so people can comment on their translations as well, but people weren't very receptive to the idea.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=47444
Feb 27, 2011 1:15 PM
Feb 2011
I guess what I mostly meant is this a "some people watch fansubs, some people don't, most try to buy the real thing when it comes out" forum* or a "grar teh evil corporations in mah anime grar their translations are teh sucks*" forum. The whole thing about official listings possibly generating flame wars kind of answered that question :( Kind of sad to hear that.

*ie- ANN, themanime.org, or animeondvd

*ie- the scary threads that happened when onemanga took down their scans and the horrific flame wars that followed.
Feb 27, 2011 2:13 PM
Feb 2011
llxwarbirdxll- ah okay, that makes sense. Also, sorry for the multiple posts, those were made earlier. The slight lag in posts popping up has me a little confused- I'm assuming this is due to the issues the site seems to be having.
Feb 27, 2011 7:15 PM

Feb 2008
Paploo said:
jacobpaige said:
something which people like you generally consider rude to do with official releases (in spite of their generally low quality)

Woooaaaahhh there. I don't have any problems with people doing reviews of R1 releases.
sorry, usually when people make these complaints its followed by insults, flaming tactics and general close mindedness toward those who feel that subs produced for pay should be better than those produced for free. I shouldn't have made assumptions based on a single post.

though I should clarify, my only problem with official releases is their price, its generally at least 4x the cost of a locally produced series of similar length and production quality. If I truly can't stand the subs I know there are ways to replace them with fansubs, which is my right when I've already bought the DVDs.
Mar 13, 2011 5:17 PM

Jun 2007
Well, there is an indirect way of evaluating the official translations, via the "Fansubber" group listings for the groups that release R1 stream/DVD/BD-rips of a given show. Of course, it would help if MAL would call them "Release Groups" or something like that, since the percentage of actual fansubs in a given season has been dropping over time. At least it might cut down on some of the stupid "Not a real fansub group" comments.

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Today, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.