Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2008 2:23 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was amazing.
Nov 4, 2008 12:19 PM

Jun 2008
D: THAT BASTARD BLEW UP PARIS! Noooo! Not Paris! T_T AND his wife and son! WOW. o_o

And was Danglers raping his money or something? Sick. >_<

ED graphics change. 2 episodes from the last episode. You can't expect anything in this Anime. =p

Sig WILL change soon~
Jan 7, 2009 9:05 PM

Jun 2008
StabbyPWNS said:

yeeeaah..... that was awkward.

Jan 18, 2009 9:53 PM

Aug 2008
Danglers is meeting the end he deserves, especially after what he tried to do to his daughter
Apr 8, 2009 12:00 PM

Jan 2009
Wow, so, Edmont really intends to make them all suffer on hell, i mean... even if he destroyed all their lives, he keeps doing it.

And lol @ Danglers, he was a good bad man from the beggining. Never tought he were going to become like this.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 14, 2009 1:51 AM
Jul 2008
StabbyPWNS said:
D: THAT BASTARD BLEW UP PARIS! Noooo! Not Paris! T_T AND his wife and son! WOW. o_o

ED graphics change. 2 episodes from the last episode. You can't expect anything in this Anime. =p

he tried to eat his gold because of his hunger. It's the different version of the 115th episode of the novel.
Oct 3, 2009 10:34 PM

Jul 2008
Was not expecting any of that! What an intense episode.

BEGINNER
Mar 21, 2010 10:49 PM

Feb 2010
Ahhhhhh mind blowing episode. Wtfffffffffffffff..... so diff than the book but I'm fine with that.

And beat his ASS Count!... and yeah Danglers gold lovin' was...awkward...
Apr 6, 2010 4:43 AM

Nov 2007
Wow O_O, I've been saying the same thing for a lot of the episodes so far, but with only 2 episodes to go seems like everything is going to go off with a bang.
Mar 7, 2011 12:23 PM

Sep 2008
It's sort of sad to see what's happened to the ones the Count has now pretty much successfully taken revenge on - Villefort, Danglers, and "Ferdinand". They've all gone insane (especially Danglers). Just like Edmond did, rotting in that eternal prison thing forever. ._.''

It was cool seeing Albert "facing the truth" and everything. He finally came around as a character~. Better late than never.
May 12, 2011 3:15 PM

Feb 2010
merle_noir said:
It's sort of sad to see what's happened to the ones the Count has now pretty much successfully taken revenge on - Villefort, Danglers, and "Ferdinand".

Fernand, dear.

Azrylle said:
StabbyPWNS said:

yeeeaah..... that was awkward.

I was like "wow, that's not something I needed to see".
Aniki1990May 12, 2011 3:21 PM
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Sep 14, 2011 7:17 PM

Jun 2007
The scene where Fernand confessed to Mercedes was superb. Had I stll been ignorant when rewatching, I would've assumed it was still following the source material. His anger at the suggestion he and Edmond were truly friends, followed by him telling her how her naivety created the love triangle situation, was complemented nicely by her look of despair as - for the first time - she realized the truth. And I was impressed by the way she remained faithful to her husband, in spite of her feelings - offering him the chance to leave with her.

It would've been a problem, had it been delved into too deeply, but I quite liked the three's relationship being changed into a childhood friend / love triangle one. It worked well; especially since Albert's own character relationships were altered so that he had a very similar situation.

It's just too bad Albert and Mercedes' stories weren't concluded in this episode. It would've been the perfect tragedy if Fernand truly had killed his family before settling his business with Edmond...

...Typing of Edmond vs. Fernand, one of my greatest disappointments when reading the novel was that there wasn't a final confrontation between Edmond and the man who stole everything from him. Even though Edmond's objective was to throw his enemies into the darkest pits of despair, as opposed to duels to the death, I still would've liked at least ONE fight to have occurred in the story. And that's why I appreciated the two fighting it out in Gankutsuou; Fernand deciding to on-hold his suicide until Edmond was no more.
Oct 23, 2011 10:02 AM
Aug 2010
letter crusher

Mar 31, 2012 1:14 PM

May 2010
Uh oh more robot fights...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 14, 2012 2:25 PM

May 2012
Woh that ending O_O he prefers to shoot his beloved that let them leave his side... But damn finally we've got some proper backstory on the count... really fucking terrible of those people if you see it now... But damn nice action in this episode full of fighting and mechs love it! But really that ending did he really killed both of them?

Well let's see what's next I assume it will be an epic battle!
Jan 1, 2013 12:19 PM
Oct 2012
This episode was amazing!

Let's see famous duel!
Sep 18, 2013 9:50 AM

Dec 2012
Incredible! Absolutely breathtaking and well executed episode. I started to tear up during Fernand's flashbacks and his final encounter with Mercedes. It's just as Franz said, love and hate start with caring about someone. Fernand Mondago cared about Mercedes which drove him into hatred and brought him to where he was. The power behind that scene was magnificent especially with that one song.

Everything has finally built up to the final acts, I can't wait to see how this all concludes.
Nov 4, 2013 1:53 PM

Mar 2012
So awesome~
Nov 17, 2013 9:48 PM

May 2011
from guilt, goes man's sanity.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Mar 28, 2014 9:13 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Fernand goin' nuts! Yea, shoot your wife and son... good idea.

The scene where the count's men crash into the big ship and bring it down... very nice.
Apr 2, 2014 11:38 PM

Jan 2013
Ugh...another Gonzo CGI dick fest
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 20, 2014 8:52 PM
Feb 2014
TuzoAnime said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Revenge turns a person foul
Jul 16, 2014 12:49 AM

Sep 2013
captainfishnetk said:
TuzoAnime said:
Certainly not as foul as the ones who instigated it.
Sep 9, 2015 11:54 PM

Jan 2014
StabbyPWNS said:

Haha, indeed. This episode was full of some tragicomic scenes.
Funny how fast people can lose their minds.
Once again, a brilliant episode!

Too bad Mercedes is dead, though.
AironicallyHuman said:
The scene where Fernand confessed to Mercedes was superb. His anger at the suggestion he and Edmond were truly friends, followed by him telling her how her naivety created the love triangle situation, was complemented nicely by her look of despair as - for the first time - she realized the truth. And I was impressed by the way she remained faithful to her husband, in spite of her feelings - offering him the chance to leave with her.

Yeah, that was powerful and seemed kind of realistic, even.
Sep 10, 2015 12:19 AM

Oct 2013
... Wow. How many episodes in this show are going to leave me speechless? How can a sci-fi with millennium-old curses and aliens be pulled off with such realism? This is a more believable drama than 90% of high school anime. The Count confessing his story to Albert while Paris was collapsing in the background was a magnificent and artful touch.

I almost wish Fernand would've shot himself after all. That would've been a very powerful end to his character, especially after murdering his wife and attempting to murder his son, his cherished family for whom he committed his sins.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 28, 2015 1:18 PM

Jul 2013
But then he was naked rolling around in the gold, gross lol. Plus cold I'd think.

The Count finally told Albert his story, awww.

More mecha.

I can't believe the ending though. I can't believe he'd shoot Albert and his wife! D: I hope they don't die!!!! That'd be sad ;_______________________;
Oct 30, 2015 3:38 AM
May 2012
Xynical said:
captainfishnetk said:
Certainly not as foul as the ones who instigated it.

It's punishment, not revenge.

FestinaLente said:
StabbyPWNS said:

Haha, indeed. This episode was full of some tragicomic scenes.
Funny how fast people can lose their minds.
Once again, a brilliant episode!

Too bad Mercedes is dead, though.
AironicallyHuman said:
The scene where Fernand confessed to Mercedes was superb. His anger at the suggestion he and Edmond were truly friends, followed by him telling her how her naivety created the love triangle situation, was complemented nicely by her look of despair as - for the first time - she realized the truth. And I was impressed by the way she remained faithful to her husband, in spite of her feelings - offering him the chance to leave with her.

Yeah, that was powerful and seemed kind of realistic, even.

That scene was great, and I think Mercedes is still alive.
Jan 14, 2016 2:48 AM

Jan 2013
Another great episode. Finally learned just about everything.
Jan 14, 2016 7:01 AM
Dec 2014
alav5112021 said:
StabbyPWNS said:

he tried to eat his gold because of his hunger. It's the different version of the 115th episode of the novel.

Well if you haven't eaten or drunk anything in a week your mind goes funny.

Was impressed with how the general lost it. Very realistic, in the news you see families going murder/suicide all the time. Always makes me sad.
Jun 11, 2016 11:53 AM

Feb 2016
Decent episode - it's gonna be a tragedy towards the end I'm sure of it now. The conclusion is close. Literally shit's going down atm.
Jul 29, 2016 3:56 PM

Jan 2016
this episode was wild lol. there's was so much happening i couldn't even process it tbh. i enjoyed the cgi in episode 18 but i felt this episode was a bit gratuitous, mainly with the explosions, smoke, and water effects.
im apollo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they/them pls
Jan 11, 2017 5:40 AM

Aug 2014
The CGI is sure a turn off, studio GONZO never likes to stay doing good job lol.
This episode was also great, the tension is high though some forced drama is always there.
Feb 22, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2015
These three men are beyond selfish and it's so good to see them all suffer
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 28, 2017 3:48 AM

Oct 2012
Albert's father is really the worst person
His father just shot wife & son
I'm pretty sure Albert is alive by miracle, probably something metal protect him?
Maybe the hand-clock thingy from Count? (He smashed it to bits though)

This is getting interesting
Off to last 2 episodes
"Signature removed"
May 10, 2017 5:07 PM
Feb 2017
When Baptistin and Robert came through I was crying with joy. I hope Fernand gets his ass beat.
May 27, 2017 12:33 AM

Mar 2017
Am I the only one who thinks the Count is Albert's father? I mean he looks like Edmond before he was imprisoned, and that definitely would make a great plot twist.

Mercedes could have been pregnant when the Count was framed and then while being with Fernand.
Aug 6, 2017 4:16 AM

Feb 2013
That bastard killed Mercedes.
Aug 7, 2017 1:22 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Honestly thought that Mercedes would shoot Albert's father. I guess it kind of makes sense why Mercedes was never really greedy, lustful, or filled with hate like the other wives. She had a humble background and never really wanted those things even though she knew what happened...
Nov 10, 2017 11:42 PM

Jan 2010
Mondego, with his sought out position of high military and political power and the love of Mercedes, ends up using his military and political power to destroy the city and eventually shoot not just Mercedes, but Albert, the child bore from their supposed love. There is so much full circling going on, it's amazing.

Now, Mondego is trying to challenge The Count in armor, just like Albert, claiming he would take away everything The Count has. However, Mondego already took away everything Dantes had, so the threat was really hilarious since at the current moment, only Mondego had things to lose, which he already had anyways. The setup is almost poetic.
Jan 31, 2018 8:49 AM

Nov 2016
This episode was just sheer madness and I loved it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 4, 2018 10:36 AM
Nov 2018
LunarPisces1 said:
Am I the only one who thinks the Count is Albert's father? I mean he looks like Edmond before he was imprisoned, and that definitely would make a great plot twist.

Mercedes could have been pregnant when the Count was framed and then while being with Fernand.

This is a consequence of the film of 2002, but in the anime and in the novel there is indication that Count is Albert's father, he is the son of Fernand.

Shocked said:
Mondego, with his sought out position of high military and political power and the love of Mercedes, ends up using his military and political power to destroy the city and eventually shoot not just Mercedes, but Albert, the child bore from their supposed love. There is so much full circling going on, it's amazing.

Now, Mondego is trying to challenge The Count in armor, just like Albert, claiming he would take away everything The Count has. However, Mondego already took away everything Dantes had, so the threat was really hilarious since at the current moment, only Mondego had things to lose, which he already had anyways. The setup is almost poetic.

After Haydee's revelations, Mondego was politically destroyed and then the coup came.

Feb 7, 2019 5:32 AM

May 2016
Fernand went batshit crazy and singlehandedly conquered all of Paris by forcing the whole parliament to give up their positions at gunpoint while bombing the place after putting it under martial law. Being told about how he was such good friends with Edmond made him furious because he knows quite well how much of an asshole he was all this time after he conducted a conspiracy to cover up another conspiracy. The beginning of his downfall started way before his false valor. Hell, he's so crazy that he killed his own wife and severely injured his son.

It was a nice touch that the previous characters in their current states were shown roaming around doing what they do. Albert's trying to convince the Count to open up to him and he revealed the very cruel and sad truth about his suffering in the Chateau and how he had become the next Gankutsuou. Mondego became a full-on villain in just one episode.

Jun 7, 2020 1:32 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Wow this man really went of the rails. He really was like “if I can’t have you no can!” This makes sense as he coveted power but to realize that he still can’t control his family made him lose it. I also don’t think he has a right to get revenge on the count because he started it but it goes to show you that revenge only breeds more revenge. Lastly, I feel it’s a major flaw of a ship if that once you scrap the bottom of the ship it blows up
Oct 10, 2020 1:57 AM

May 2016
What happened just now was madness in a nutshell, but it wasn't for nothing it fit
the scenario and was just epic.

Fernnad I didn't know he was such a scum.
Sep 24, 2021 1:08 AM

Aug 2020
Impactful episode.

I hate how Mercédès had to be in the crossfire of the revenge. She had nothing to do with the big three's framing plot (she was a victim). Yet, she suffered the most, from her son despising her, to her husband going insane (whom she didn't even want to marry in the first place), to her losing her reputation, and especially how her ex-lover Edmond Dantès (The Count of Monte Cristo) came back and rejected her. And at the very end, she got shot (I'm she didn't make it).

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Apr 2, 2022 7:03 AM

May 2021
I admire Mercedes for staying faithful to the one she's married. We have now approached the final stages of the revenge.

Apr 28, 2022 11:06 AM
Nov 2020
I'm so glad that Edmond himself tells Albert the full truth behind his imprisonment.
May 12, 2022 1:41 AM

Sep 2017
Much as I hate to admit it, Gankutsuou is right. For these shitty people who have committed crimes bad enough to throw innocent men in prison, revenge is the only option.

Albert still is pretty naive noob and his ways aren't gonna help anyone. Gets shot by his dipshit asshole dad for all the trouble.

Dude had an out with Mercedes who tried to stop this but no, shot her in the back like a fucking coward.

His free trial of life has expired. Can't wait for Gankutsuou to beat this bitch down.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 3, 2022 11:45 PM

Jun 2020
Another brilliant episode. However, I would have really preferred it if they did not resort to using that cheap action soundtrack in the ending. It would have been legendary if it was classical orchestra. Edmond's backstory isn't as simple as I presumed it to be, thank god. Well, 2 more eps to go, and time to study.
Monkey_BusinessSep 3, 2022 11:49 PM

Jun 10, 2023 7:16 AM

Jan 2021
Something I didn't expect at all. He shot his wife and Albert! Wow. This episode was tense to build up all the suspense for the Count's final and biggest revenge.... prepare yourself, Fernand Mondego!

Btw young Edmond Dantes seems like a sweet guy... naive, innocent, trustful... reminds me of Albert ;") their faces are somehow similar too.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
3 hours ago

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.