Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 25, 2011 12:49 PM

Nov 2007
Kipcha said:
saka said:

I don't think frustrated is the right word. She is very emotional, yes, but not frustrated. She seems to care about what happens to Madoka rather deeply, but she acts more like a very close friend would.

Obviously, she didn't really care about what happened to Sayaka, she expressed that quite clearly. She was just worried about how that would effect Madoka, not that Sayaka would turn into a witch.

Exactly. Ofcourse Homura is frustrated, that's what's make her go back in time.
But that doesn't explain her emotional reactions.
Madoka nearly sacrificed herself for Sayaka this ep. Yet if she had decided not to join Sayaka on her witch hunts, Homura wouldn't have lifted a finger to help Sayaka. So Madoka goes from caring to not caring for her friends?
Yet Homura cares deeply for Madoka.

Gangler said:
Yes, her main focus is on Madoka, but that's only because the other battle's already been lost. No use sending the good money after the bad so to say. Any time spent on Sayaka is time better spent on people who can still be saved.
True, but from day 1 Homura was only focused on Madoka, not on Sayaka. Sayaka was just bothersome.
What I try to find out, is how Homura=future Madoka suddenly makes the switch to not giving a damn about Sayaka.
Feb 25, 2011 1:00 PM

Oct 2009
Hahaahahhaaa, actually I lol'd very hard when Homara called Kyubey "Incubator". That was done is such a cliched fashion. XD
Also the Homura knows Madoka from earlier on, and therefore wants to protect her? Really? I'm kinda dissapointed that that's all... it's a reason that's waay to easy and cliched.

BUT:
I begin to love this. Everybody is thrown into misery and Kyubey is an evil mastermind after all :) (who had seen that coming! *sarcasm*)
I still love Kyubey. Maybe more than before. Ah, he's fcking awesome and a huge troll.

Sayaka becoming a witch, Homura a moral-less person, Madoka...still being a crybaby (with a minority complex). Kyubey still being Memistopheles. Kyouko not able to save Sayaka.
I WANT MORE OF THIS!
Feb 25, 2011 1:01 PM

Oct 2010
Gangler said:
Secondly, my first thought with sayaka was "Sweet crap. So you're undead. Would you get over it?" As I've considered it though it seems to me that it's actually a pretty good depiction of children dealing with matters they're far too young to handle. I mean heck, the love triangle itself would have been devastating at that age characterized by such drama, but couple it with the recent witnessed violent death of a friend, as well as revalations that put her humanity into question creating an existential crisis at an age where one is already freakishly succeptable to identity issues. Well, yeah, she's breaking down. If she was older it wouldn't be such a blow emotionally, and she'd be mature enough to handle such emotions without heading down such a path of self destruction. As is, I think it's interesting watching a somewhat realistic depiction of how someone of that age would deal with such matters. A nice contrast to shows where the magical girl retains all their fun happiness and naive ideals, and even manages to somehow impose them on the world so that everyone comes out happy.
It came to my attention that Sayaka may be stuck with her mental state forever. I mean do magical girls really grow up and evolve in this series when clearly their body does not grow anymore since their souls are not in it and are in a object, which may be just that since the object itself most likely never ages but stays the same? Anyone on that one?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 25, 2011 1:18 PM

Apr 2009
There's one plausible explanation for Kyubey being not evil - the same as always: he works just by pure logic. He believes that world populated by witches is a better world (as to why - that needs a separate explanation) and tries to make that happen by the most effective means, which he believes to be... well, that what we see in the series. But he doesn't possess human logic, so he doesn't consider it as malicious.

And to get the mind blown even more, the ultimate goal of Kyubey may not be to populate the world with witches, but to convince Madoka to sign the contract (which may actually be different than any other girl's), and he thinks that the best way to do it is by going through all that he does... Oh my, I'm getting scared by my own theories.

saka said:
About Homura not coming to Sayaka's rescue... It's likely that Homura (future Madoka) already knows that Sayaka cannot be saved... and it's even possible that she already tried to save her unsuccessfully in an alternate timeline.

According to canon, it's just the opposite. Homura says in ep5: "That's my fault. I should've watched her too, not just you." (quote from gg's version, at roughly 13:00) So if the time loop theory is true, then she may try to stop Sayaka next time, too.

Homura being Madoka's mother theory is quite plausible, but it doesn't explain her reaction to the "Akemi-san" line.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that... well... I don't know if really nobody thought about it, or quite the opposite and it's already common knowledge, but... about the ep1 pre-OP dream scene. Recall that dialogue, the very first dialogue of the series (again, quote from gg's version with updated script):
[1:29] Madoka: This is terrible!
Kyubey: We can't do anything about that. It was too much for her, but I'm sure she was ready.
Madoka: She can't handle this. I can't just stay here and watch!
Kyubey: It's over once you give up. But you can change destiny. The annihilation and grief are inevitable, but you can prevent all of it. You possess the power to do that.
Madoka: Really? Can someone like me really make a difference? Can I avoid this outcome?
Kyubey: Of course. If you want to, make a contract with me and become a Puella Magi! ‿‿

Given that "the witch Homura is fighting = witch!Sayaka" theory is true (I still can't decide whether I support it or not), Madoka and Kyubey may be talking about saving Sayaka, not Homura. Think about it, Sayaka used to be Madoka's closest friend. It's quite possible that Madoka may still care for her even though she's a witch now. And the "it was too much for her" line may actually refer to witch!Sayaka being on the verge of being defeated by Homura, not the other way round...
Feb 25, 2011 1:38 PM

Aug 2010
stevewiess01 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is getting more and more depressing for Sayaka and it was pretty scary when Homura was about to kill her just before Kyouko came to save Sayaka. o_o

and oh yes, I loved how Homura was using grenades and explosive as her main arsenal. XD

Homura finishes off Kyubei with a pistol in front of Madoka and turns him into a Swiss cheese, which gets eaten by a Kyubei's real clone(?)... Holy Sh*t!

So, at the end, I guess this show's turning into Madoka X Homerun and Sayaka X Kyouko couple shows..

I know right, Homura using guns and stuff I was all O_O

Then Kyubei coming in and nomming his body right up. Now we gotta a Sayaka witch running around.
Feb 25, 2011 1:44 PM

Aug 2008
OMG, Kyubey is SO evil... I actually cheered when he got killed by Homura. Too bad he's not really dead. Also, Kyubey's a cannibal? Lol.

Sayaka is turning evil. Interesting twist. Homura is starting to have more emotions. Madoka still isn't doing anything. I wonder why this is called Mahou Shoujo Madoka when Madoka isn't even a mahou shoujo yet (and we're almost done with the show)?

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Feb 25, 2011 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
Holy sh*t I'm glad I didn't stay up last night to watch this I wouldn't have been able to fall asleep. That episode was pure win. I'm really grossed out at how QB ate himself. Why'd you have to go there?

Anyways my theory is that Homura doesn't want Madoka to turn into a Mahou Shoujo because Madoka is either going to end up doing a self-sacrifice on Walpurgis, or Madoka will fall and turn into the ultimate witch. Just think about the first episode, Homura was fighting in a really depressing world and she was doing it alone. This is already becoming one of the most epic Mahou Shoujos ever. This is why I love this genre, you can do so much with it, I just wish more studios would do so.

I think I misinterpreted the part where QB got shot. When Madoka said 'have we met before?' I thought she lost her memory or something. And I think I'm being really hopeful when I say that I hope Kyoko doesn't die. Use really grown to like her. And I suppose I should have seen the inQBator part coming. I mean QB does dispose of the grief seeds after all.
Feb 25, 2011 2:16 PM

Aug 2010
oh my god they shot Kyubey
oh my god Kyubey ate himself
oh my god this series, it's awesome

kFYatek said:
There's one plausible explanation for Kyubey being not evil - the same as always: he works just by pure logic. He believes that world populated by witches is a better world (as to why - that needs a separate explanation) and tries to make that happen by the most effective means, which he believes to be... well, that what we see in the series. But he doesn't possess human logic, so he doesn't consider it as malicious.

I'd really like Kyubey to end up being amoral/logical/lacking in emotions rather than flat out evil myself. :) It'd fit the overall tone of the show better in my opinion, although it's likely he will just end up being a bad guy.

As for the seperate explanation for his reasoning assuming this was true... uh, um. "Don't upset the status quo"? Judging by the kind of wariness he had last episode when he dropped the bombshell about soul gems (you humans always put such value on your souls, you're not even aware of them, why does it matter where they're kept? etc etc), Madoka and her buddies probably aren't the first group of girls this has happened to. And considering Walpurgis Night's happened before, it'd make sense if the "magical girls kill witches, magical girls become witches" cycle had been going on for a while.
Feb 25, 2011 2:18 PM

Jul 2010
Omniknight said:
QB to Madoka: "If you wish, Madoka, I could make you into God."
I can see that everyone has already proposed that if Madoka were to become a god, she would make an incredibly powerful witch, apocalyptic even.
But, there must be a catch to this again. If she were all powerful, change time and matter, she could get rid of this MS/witch system and put a stop to QB's plans.
As always, it is important to be sure what you wish for. You'd have to define what "God" really means.
Even if Madoka would become a powerful Mahou Shoujo that doesn't mean she's undefeatable. If she dies, will she become a witch? I don't think so. We haven't seen Mami come back to haunt them (yet). Madoka is weak mentally. After seeing Mami's head bitten off she's backed away from the idea of becoming a Mahou Shoujo. If she were to become one, all Kyubey would need to do is make her go through the necessary mental trauma in order to make her into a witch. It's kind of like what seems to be happening to Sayaka right now.

dojikko said:
kFYatek said:

I'd really like Kyubey to end up being amoral/logical/lacking in emotions rather than flat out evil myself. :) It'd fit the overall tone of the show better in my opinion, although it's likely he will just end up being a bad guy.
Explanation or no, if what he's doing is simply out of logic then that still makes him the villain of the show. A very interesting and good villain, I think. Based on his explanation to Sayaka of why he separates the human soul from the body (out of logic), it would make sense that he does view witches as some higher being that succeeds the human race.
IiliaFeb 25, 2011 2:34 PM
Feb 25, 2011 2:23 PM

Apr 2009
Monad said:

Also if each magical girls kills more than one witch before she becomes a witch herself, won't their numbers go down?
How can such a system be effective?

Witches spawn familiars which can also become witches with grief seeds if they go ahead and eat enough humans or something, which is really interesting in a way since we could have multiple Witch Sayaka clones running around. It'll be interesting to see what sort of Witch Sayaka becomes, the barrier she creates and the familiars she spawns.

Either way, Kyubey is slowly thinning out the human race. Slowly. Puella Magi being forced to sacrifice lives for themselves. Witches go ahead and commence mass suicide parties. The circle of fate.

In a way this just really like Claymore. I won't spoil anything, but it's very similar.
Feb 25, 2011 2:26 PM

Oct 2008
Iilia said:
Omniknight said:
QB to Madoka: "If you wish, Madoka, I could make you into God."
I can see that everyone has already proposed that if Madoka were to become a god, she would make an incredibly powerful witch, apocalyptic even.
But, there must be a catch to this again. If she were all powerful, change time and matter, she could get rid of this MS/witch system and put a stop to QB's plans.
As always, it is important to be sure what you wish for. You'd have to define what "God" really means.
Even if Madoka would become a powerful Mahou Shoujo that doesn't mean she's undefeatable. If she dies, will she become a witch? I don't think so. We haven't seen Mami come back to haunt them (yet). Madoka is weak mentally. After seeing Mami's head bitten off she's backed away from the idea of becoming a Mahou Shoujo. If she were to become one, all Kyubey would need to do is make her go through the necessary mental trauma in order to make her into a witch. It's kind of like what seems to be happening Sayaka right now.

My only issue is that QB specifically said that she could warp the fabric of time and space itself if she wanted to. She would simply be that powerful. Then again, this information is straight from QB's mouth. Whether it is the complete truth, half truth or complete lie remains to be seen.
Ideally, wishing to be God, means you have unlimited wishes due to unlimited powers.
Then again, that is my definition of God - an omnipotent and omnipresent being
OmniknightFeb 25, 2011 2:54 PM
Feb 25, 2011 2:30 PM
Aug 2010
Incubator did not eat himself as he is a spiritual entity rather than a physical one (like the magical girls his soul is clearly elsewhere) so all he did was recycle the material of his construct body (a construct body clearly designed for persuading young girls). I am pretty sure his true form would be far nastier possibly similar to a witch or even a Chuthuluesque mind shattering abomination.
Feb 25, 2011 2:51 PM

Sep 2009
Well, the big shock reveal this week wasn't as shocking as it was probably intended, but at least it's confirmed that Kyubey is evil. Too bad deredere Homura didn't last long. I was hoping something would come out of her showing her emotions for once, but nothing doing. Overall though, this episode would have been awesome if it weren't for the fact that my computer is epically lagging today, making my enjoyment of this episode x.00000001.
Feb 25, 2011 3:11 PM

Apr 2009
I may be beaten to death for saying this out loud, but they actually fucked up this episode - I wouldn't say that it's a fault of Gen and his writing, but rather the fault lies at the director's side. Changes within characters are too rapid, it's like they can change their behaviour and their ideology every 2 or 3 minutes. Everything has become... unnatural, artificial - you can no longed identify with characters - they just are, the whole 'psychology' thing can go to trash now since it's just ruined after this episode. Sure, it pretended to be deep and all, but in the end it was just pathetic in its incapacity to do so. It's still the best anime of the season, it's a fact per se, but I hope that what has been slowly but steadily built from the start won't be destroyed now. It's getting 'more and more depressing'? Give me a break, now that the characters' identities are no more here, it's pretty much the opposite. I still have high hopes, and they'd better not be betrayed... but after seeing how the most fucked up and boring theory comes to life ("Archer theory") I can't help but sigh. After all, I didn't expect UBW in my Madoka, you know.
Should there be no more plot twists, we would be able to easily predict the outcome and the ending (at least those who have played F/sn), but it's unlikely and some major twists are certain to occur, so let's just wait for the next episode.

Oh, and this whole "mahou shoujo -> a witch" was so darn obvious that I almost laughed when the episode ended with the affirmation of this theory being true. They could have ended with QB saying "in fact, I'm on the evil side". Oh, really? I wouldn't have guessed no matter what, what a surprise...

Not to leave the impression of a hater, QB mercilessly killed with a shotgun looked cute. Like:
.3 <Whoops, one of my eyes is missing)

Feb 25, 2011 3:16 PM

Nov 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
It came to my attention that Sayaka may be stuck with her mental state forever. I mean do magical girls really grow up and evolve in this series when clearly their body does not grow anymore since their souls are not in it and are in a object, which may be just that since the object itself most likely never ages but stays the same? Anyone on that one?

I guess we'll see next ep, when Kyouko tries to safe Sayaka, but I've been wondering about that as well.
Because of this: http://www.madoka-magica.com/special/dic/card15.html
Elsa Maria: her nature is self-righteousness. She continues praying for all life in this world.
And her minion Sebastien: an aggregate of all life that has been saved by the witch of shadow.
A witch saving lives?

Their bodies do still grow though. Mami and Kyouko were clearly a lot smaller when they signed the deal. Probably due to magic.

kFYatek said:
Given that "the witch Homura is fighting = witch!Sayaka" theory is true (I still can't decide whether I support it or not), Madoka and Kyubey may be talking about saving Sayaka, not Homura. Think about it, Sayaka used to be Madoka's closest friend. It's quite possible that Madoka may still care for her even though she's a witch now. And the "it was too much for her" line may actually refer to witch!Sayaka being on the verge of being defeated by Homura, not the other way round...
Wow, good one.
But than, this must be Homura's first time in the loop, else she'd know Sayaka would be the big witch and would be focused on both her and Madoka.
Yet her entire 'been there before' attitude, suggests it's not the first repetition.

I highly doubt Sayaka-witch is the witch from the prologue though. Her griefseed is completely different.
Feb 25, 2011 3:30 PM

Apr 2009
@Blackiris: I can agree to an extent that "boring theories" turning true is not a really good thing (though the way they were revealed actually saved that for me, especially the witch!Sayaka transformation sequence was great). But... characters changing too rapidly? Unnatural, artificial? I don't see that at all.

Madoka hasn't changed at all. She's still a clumsy selfless girl, who wants to be helpful to others, hence her nearly becoming a Puella Magi for Sayaka's sake. Sayaka went nuts in ep7, and hasn't really developed (psychologically) in this one. Kyouko changed after hearing Kyubey's revelations about Soul Gems in ep6, increasingly socializing with Sayaka since then, so helping her was quite natural to me. And Homura... she's on a mission of preventing Madoka from becoming a Puella Magi no matter what, so the bit about killing Sayaka was out of pure logic. Also, being so emotionless all the time, it's quite natural for her to get a deredere moment once in a while - especially in front of Madoka, whom she tries to protect so desperately. Maybe I'm a blind fanboy, but for me, the characters are still believable.
Feb 25, 2011 3:36 PM

Oct 2010
cleo said:
WTH does this mean. This looks big as info within that pic. Ok I am confused now but I found something for laughs in the spoiler
pretty much sums up my thoughts about how I reacted to Kyuubey swiss cheese.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 25, 2011 3:46 PM

Nov 2008
Cleaned thread a bit.
Feb 25, 2011 4:17 PM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
WTH does this mean. This looks big as info within that pic. Ok I am confused now but I found something for laughs in the spoiler
pretty much sums up my thoughts about how I reacted to Kyuubey swiss cheese.

Hahaha, nice one.

Now it makes more sense why they're called Grief Seeds.
Truly tragic...
Feb 25, 2011 4:23 PM

Nov 2007
Blackiris said:

Nah, I'm not gonna bite your head off, I just don't agree.
Sayaka fast development? Well she had a LOT to deal with in little time. Hitomi gave her 1 day. And it's not like she was in a position to deal with it in her own sweet time, so she broke. The thing that didn't break until the very end, was her ideology. Those guys made her question it, which wasn't unnatural at all to me.
Madoka - as kFYatek said - hasn't changed. She's still the girl who wished the world wasn't so cruel, and now has 2 choices not appealing to her at all.
Hard to relate to Homura? Imagine her being in a timeloop for years, consatntly stalking Madoka, trying to stop her from contracting, failing every time. This time, she nearly failed again. I didn't expect her to break, but it didn't feel unnatural to me.
Easy to predict outcome?
*looks at 12 pages filled with predictions*
If you've browsed through this thread, you can see that the Homura = Madoka outcome isn't generally agreed on. We still don't know how far Gen can go within the limits of the MG genre. For all we know, Madoka saving the day can mean: erasing everything to do with magic from existing.
Feb 25, 2011 4:29 PM

May 2008
kFYatek said:
Well, all we know so far is that his true identity is the Incubator who fosters growth of mahou shoujo via contract for a wish. He incubates the souls of mahou shoujo, fostering their magic by struggle until they either die or become witches (which have greater magic?).

Unconfirmed but highly suspected is that grief seeds are the soul gems of fallen mahou shoujo... and that witches are mahou shoujo who, like Sayaka, have come to question and hate the world they are protecting, cursing and killing the humans they see as wretched. I'm not sure why Walpurgisnacht, some kind of powerful demon, would possess Sayaka... but it may be exactly because she is Madoka's friend -- since Madoka is the key to everything for reasons not explained.

The story is loosely based on Goethe's Faust, and as noted there are excerpts and such in the scenery, so Kyuubey is no doubt Mephistocoles (a demon that contracts souls for the devil in return for magical power, and at first is disguised as a poodle). In the original Faust story, Faust/Madoka is favored by God and Mephistocoles/Incubator makes a bet with God that he can turn his favored being to evil. Therefore it's quite likely that Madoka is his goal, though how that blends with his "Incubator" role is still muddled. It's more likely that Incubator works for a higher boss, like the devil, and that he is competing with Walpurgisnacht for souls (though it seems like the latter just wants to destroy).

I'm still not sure what role her Mother and Father have to play in this...

kFYatek said:
saka said:
About Homura not coming to Sayaka's rescue... It's likely that Homura (future Madoka) already knows that Sayaka cannot be saved... and it's even possible that she already tried to save her unsuccessfully in an alternate timeline.

According to canon, it's just the opposite. Homura says in ep5: "That's my fault. I should've watched her too, not just you." (quote from gg's version, at roughly 13:00) So if the time loop theory is true, then she may try to stop Sayaka next time, too.
Yeah, Homura is kind of obsessed with stopping only Madoka from making mistakes early on and not so much Sayaka. This reinforces the idea that Madoka is Homura, but some of her bahavior as just Madoka is hard to justify.

I think Homura's real identity is probably Madoka's mother contracted, but she may be carrying Madoka's gem from the future and possibly others she picked up on the way. All the military surplus comes from her mother's company contacts... and saves having to waste magic needlessly (since capturing grief seeds is like using tortured souls). It's also possible that one of the personalities has become unable to use magic, and this works as a temporary replacement.

kFYatek said:
[1:29] Madoka: This is terrible!
Kyubey: We can't do anything about that. It was too much for her, but I'm sure she was ready.
Madoka: She can't handle this. I can't just stay here and watch!
Kyubey: It's over once you give up. But you can change destiny. The annihilation and grief are inevitable, but you can prevent all of it. You possess the power to do that.
Madoka: Really? Can someone like me really make a difference? Can I avoid this outcome?
Kyubey: Of course. If you want to, make a contract with me and become a Puella Magi! ‿‿

Hmm I'll buy that. Surely Madoka doesn't want either of them fight or die, and QB talking about "That girl reaching her limits" and her "giving up" definitely sound like they could apply to Sayaka losing to Walpurgisnacht's control. When Madoka cringes after the big red "eye" opens in that sequence it certainly looks like she is disgusted by its form.

I am a banana.
Feb 25, 2011 4:56 PM

Jul 2008
Ugh I really really hope Madoka doesn't become a magical girl. I don't care what the title of the anime is, I don't want Kyubey to win!

What does Kyuubey=Incubator even mean? Is it just a more evil name for him or is it a reference to something else?

And Kyuubey must be playing Madoka. Even if she is extremely powerful, SOMETHING must go wrong for Homura to go back in time to fix it.
Gar_LoganFeb 25, 2011 5:05 PM
Feb 25, 2011 5:16 PM

Nov 2007
saka said:
I'm still not sure what role her Mother and Father have to play in this...

No offence, but this seriously made me lol.
Everyone is wondering about Homura = ? etc., you're wondering about her folks :D

saka said:
Yeah, Homura is kind of obsessed with stopping only Madoka from making mistakes early on and not so much Sayaka. This reinforces the idea that Madoka is Homura, but some of her bahavior as just Madoka is hard to justify.

I don't see how that reinforces the Madoka=Homura theory at all. Look at Madoka obsessing about Sayaka.
You're trying to prove that a girl only obsessed about herself (Homura = future Madoka) is the same girl as present Madoka, who if she contracts, only does so for a good friend. I just can't figure out how you come to that conclusion.

saka said:
I think Homura's real identity is probably Madoka's mother contracted, but she may be carrying Madoka's gem from the future and possibly others she picked up on the way.

I posted my thoughts on Homura = Madoka's mum earlier, so I'm not gonna repeat that.
Just a thought here on Homura having more soulgems: the ring is the item with which they can make their soulgem appear. Homura has only 1 ring, with her own runes on it.

Also: shouldn't we have this kind of discussion in the speculation thread? (I thought of that 5 pages ago, just forgot to ask each time posting :P)
cleoFeb 25, 2011 5:32 PM
Feb 25, 2011 5:18 PM
Dec 2007
GarLogan78 said:
What does Kyuubey=Incubator even mean? Is it just a more evil name for him or is it a reference to something else?
If you remember from past episodes, part of Kyubei's job is to collect Grief Seeds. He also mentions Magical Girls are the imperfect form of witches. The name Incubator may refer to the fact he's creating witches by luring girls into becoming Magical Girls. The Grief Seeds he collects are likely just the fuel he uses to create the contract. If you look at it in that way, QB is just raising witches for some unknown purpose.

Feb 25, 2011 5:33 PM

Dec 2009
WHO WANTS SOME SWISS CHEESE??

Yumekichi11 said:

Feb 25, 2011 5:35 PM
Sep 2010
Wow Im glad that I picked up watching this again.

Episode 8

Well since we know that Homura is from a different time period, its obvious she knows what Kyubey is planning to do. And she knew Madoka during her time period.

Now we know she has the ability to teleport.....but Kyubey did mention that she had a special ability.....something about using TIme magic.

I think Kyubey simply is talking about her able to control time which makes her appear to teleport. She cant travel between timelines on her own

I reckon that she in fact made a wish with Kyubei in the future, to return to this time period to stop Kyubey. Which makes sense because Kyubey wondered "Your not from this time period are you?" Homura can control time, but she cant go to different timelines.

And since at the end of this episode, Kyubey mentions that all mahou shoujo girls are witches....so he probably wants Madoka to become a Mahou Shoujo....only to fall into despair and become chaos for the world

And next episode it does seem like there is going to be fight. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if Madoka did in fact make a contract with Kyubei....even though Homura is trying so hard to stop it

Now even though I truly believe this is the case. I find it incredibly retarded how Homura simply doesnt outright tell Madoka of Kyubei's intentions. If she told her that he was pure evil....then this could have all been avoided.

◕ ‿‿ ◕
He is watching you
Feb 25, 2011 5:45 PM

Dec 2007
saka said:
My working theory:
Homura recovered Mami's soul gem, and Mami is sharing control of Homura's body. You can notice the transition between personalities quite clearly in this episode, more than the previous ones.

Not saying it's impossible, but Mami's entire body was devoured--possibly including her soul gem (she wears it on her head, and her head was the first thing that got nom'd).

Too bad some of you confuse Kyube as being evil rather than logical and amoral. Amoral means without morals, compared to immoral which is having corrupted morals. But he is devious, I'll give him that; a real salesman who is able to craft his sales pitch on the fly.

Him being called Incubator must mean he is the mother of all witches (he does give birth to them, despite whatever gender he may be). But yet notice that he warns Homura and Kyoko of Sayaka's exhaustion and taint...And he tasks the Puella Magi to hunt witches in the first place...He may be manipulative, but he seems to want to prevent witch births at all costs.

While it is still plausible that he's trying to create the most powerful witch (as witches are supposed to be the fully developed forms of Puella Magi), he could be trying to create a Puella Magi incapable of corruption (and those that turn into witches--failures--are hunted by newly contracted Puellas). Or he's indifferent about the "witch cycle" and cares only about how it benefits him, which we have yet to learn.
SeekerFeb 25, 2011 5:54 PM

GFX made by >Valon< of Janime Community Forums
Feb 25, 2011 5:53 PM

May 2008
yeah, I already gave up on the Mami theory.... I think Madoka or her mother is much more likely.

I am a banana.
Feb 25, 2011 6:02 PM

Dec 2010
Watched the whole series so far today... and I loved it, but holy hell, is it a downer. It's been quite a while since the last time I was this sad after watching anime.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Feb 25, 2011 6:06 PM

Nov 2007
Superluccix said:
Now we know she has the ability to teleport.....but Kyubey did mention that she had a special ability.....something about using TIme magic.

We know she can manipulate time somehow. But it's obviously limited, else she could have gone back in time to correct her mistakes.
Feb 25, 2011 6:20 PM

Jul 2009
My personal theory is that the OP is conveying some things that have happened in a different timeline (Together with the Ep 1 dream). At this point, I doubt Madoka will turn Mahou Shoujo and think she'll resist to the end. Also, the longer haired Madoka in the OP with the random numerals floating around could represent something (Older Madoka? Madoka's soul in the seal?). I won't look too much at the OP because it's usually just catchy and well animated generally to appeal. I find it odd that the OP shows so many light-hearted aspects that simply don't exist in the series, it's like there scene where Sayaka says "This is the best moment of my life" after Kamijou plays his violin.

Not a particularly odd theory though. I mean, are we really going to see such happy times after all of this has happened? A theory none the less, and one I barely follow myself.

I'm totally stoked for next Thursday. This is turning out to be one of my favorite series ever.
Feb 25, 2011 6:26 PM

Dec 2007
Some of the theories are too overly thought out in my opinion.

From what I can tell, it looks like Homura made a wish to go back in time. Thus giving her "some" time related magic such as delay/slow down time. I don't think she has complete time control. That would be over powered and she could easily fixed all problems then.

I still don't think she is future Madoka. Mahou Shoujo's eventually become witches right? So if Madoka becomes a Mahou Shoujo and gets corrupted, she'd become the ultimate witch. QB's goal? Perhaps in the future Madoka had become a witch already. Homura's purpose could be to prevent such an event form happening. It explains why she's so persistent in stopping her.

As for the first episode dream? Premonition?

Too many posts to read so I missed a lot, this might have been mentioned already. :/
Feb 25, 2011 6:59 PM
Feb 2011
I just.... I....uhhh.

I don't even know what to say other than thank tumblr for sending me towards the best anime ever.

I have no words.
Feb 25, 2011 7:44 PM

Aug 2010
Did anyone get the feeling that Homura might be Sayaka?

I got this feeling throughout the episode. Especially when Homura broke down in front of Madoka, it seemed like such a Sayaka-like thing to do. Also when Homura said that Sayaka was gone, when Sayaka was still clearly alive and she knew it.

While Sayaka is begging Madoka to transform, Homura is clearly against it. Could it be that she feels guilty that she was the one to cause her to transform?

Just throwing this out there, this is mostly based on my own observations, but I'm just curious if anyone interpreted the episode the same way.
Feb 25, 2011 7:56 PM

Oct 2008
Just a quick note on people's theory that all these events happened in the past and the Homura has gone back into the past to save Madoka.

1) If all the events had gone exactly according to plan, nothing should be a surprise to her. Yet, I'm sure that Homura was surprised she was released from Mami's ribbon bindings in episode 3. This is not an event someone going back to change something is likely to forget.
2) If Madoka almost made a contract with QB to save Sayaka, shouldn't Homura have kept a better watch on Sayaka to prevent her from becoming a MS? She says in episode 5 (I think) that she had made a mistake in that she should have kept a better watch on her.

This indicates that Homura has gone into the past to save Madoka, but the circumstances seem to be different the previous time. Parallel universe?
Feb 25, 2011 7:57 PM
Dec 2007
EMChamp said:
Did anyone get the feeling that Homura might be Sayaka?

I got this feeling throughout the episode. Especially when Homura broke down in front of Madoka, it seemed like such a Sayaka-like thing to do. Also when Homura said that Sayaka was gone, when Sayaka was still clearly alive and she knew it.

While Sayaka is begging Madoka to transform, Homura is clearly against it. Could it be that she feels guilty that she was the one to cause her to transform?

Just throwing this out there, this is mostly based on my own observations, but I'm just curious if anyone interpreted the episode the same way.
That's actually a goos possibility. I have always adhered to the "friend in alternate timeline" idea, especially now that we learned she has time-manipulation powers. The biggest hurdle for that line of thinking would be explaining why she would not save Sayaka if she was Sayaka (or a part of Sayaka). Also, there's the whole part of how did she acquire the time manipulation powers since Sayaka's abilities were increased self-healing (which allowed her to attack head-on without worrying about injuries during episode 7/8) and sword skills.
Omniknight said:
Just a quick note on people's theory that all these events happened in the past and the Homura has gone back into the past to save Madoka.

1) If all the events had gone exactly according to plan, nothing should be a surprise to her. Yet, I'm sure that Homura was surprised she was released from Mami's ribbon bindings in episode 3. This is not an event someone going back to change something is likely to forget.
2) If Madoka almost made a contract with QB to save Sayaka, shouldn't Homura have kept a better watch on Sayaka to prevent her from becoming a MS? She says in episode 5 (I think) that she had made a mistake in that she should have kept a better watch on her.

This indicates that Homura has gone into the past to save Madoka, but the circumstances seem to be different the previous time. Parallel universe?
There are many time traveling theories out there. One of them indeed concludes that one single event could easily make the timelines diverge. One could conclude that the mere appearance of Mahou Shoujo Homura in front of Madoka and the warning (complete with the confrontation with Mami on episode 1) started to move the timeline on a slightly different route. That said, if Homura wasn't there to stop Mami and Madoka during the original timeline she obviously wouldn't have been trapped by Mami's bindings which of course made that a new occurence in the timeline.
Leon-GunFeb 25, 2011 8:02 PM

Feb 25, 2011 8:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Just as planned.

~KB :3

My love of Kyuubey has reached a whole new level.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 25, 2011 8:18 PM

Apr 2009
That last line,Kyubei said.
I am the only one that found that a bit shocking?
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Feb 25, 2011 8:44 PM
Nov 2010
The guy who made this show is brilliant.
Feb 25, 2011 8:50 PM
Dec 2007
xxangelchanxx said:
I did too. In fact, I find it rather sad that people still consider him as merely neutral with lack of human values. He's clearly acting against the girl's best wishes and he declares it in that line. He's creating witches, for what reason who knows, but he is.

Feb 25, 2011 9:13 PM
Feb 2010
I will never eat swiss cheese like before...
Feb 25, 2011 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
Homura is from a different timeline, not surprised, everyone guessed that a while back. But Kyubey nuuuuu!!! I had my hopes up that you weren't the one. I defended you from everyone saying you were evil and cruel and this is how you repay me?! I shall drown my sadness in ice cream. That aside, good episode and poor Sayaka, this girl cannot catch a break.
Feb 25, 2011 9:47 PM

Nov 2008
And I am expecting a HomuraxMadoka xD wooot, I really wish lol.

From the episode 4 and up, I'm really against QB, I mean c'mon! Look at him, he looks so cute but behind of it is the real culprit. I can conclude now that it's just an act when Kyubey calls for Madoka asking for help wherein he's immortal. lol.

Deliveries
Kannazuki no Miko
Chikane & Himeko

Feb 25, 2011 10:15 PM

Dec 2007
Leon-Gun said:
xxangelchanxx said:
I did too. In fact, I find it rather sad that people still consider him as merely neutral with lack of human values. He's clearly acting against the girl's best wishes and he declares it in that line. He's creating witches, for what reason who knows, but he is.

Um, because until we see an intent that displays even an ounce of morals, be they good or bad, he is a neutral, amoral creature. For all we know, the creation of witches is just an inevitable thing; even if he is contributing to the problem.

GFX made by >Valon< of Janime Community Forums
Feb 25, 2011 10:19 PM

Apr 2009
Homura, you are my favorite character. Modoka, once again, was a bit too whiny for me, but the little scene where she didn't seem to know who Homura was was odd.
I was actually pretty happy when Kuebey got shot, it was a surprisingly good moment.
Sayaka, although I feel bad for her, has quickly evolved into a person who I'm not exactly a fan of any more.
Big shocker at the end when the Incubator was talking about how Mahou Shoujos become witches.
Feb 25, 2011 10:52 PM

Jul 2010
When Kyubey got shot, it kinda creeped me out.
Feb 25, 2011 11:00 PM

Sep 2010
Holyshit.... did Sayaka turned into a witch..... ????
I will miss her.... :(

And kyubei eating his own flesh...... Just awesomely sick.... :P
Feb 25, 2011 11:04 PM

Oct 2010
Oh Sayaka. Yes, you've been such a fool.
I grieve for you.
Feb 25, 2011 11:13 PM

Sep 2010
Words can not describe what I just watched.

Poor Sayaka, her going insane in the beginning kinda scared me. And I can't even imagine what Homura is to Madoka.

So QB gets little girls to fight witches that later turn into witches themselves. QB is freaking Satan or something i swear. Also, incubator? Dammit QB what the hell are you planning?
Feb 25, 2011 11:24 PM

Sep 2010
Sad for sayaka but i Love it!:)
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.