Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Which one do you like better?
Feb 23, 2011 10:46 PM

May 2010
Did you like the story told in the manga or Tsuiokuhen?

I like Tsuiokuhen much more, not to say the Manga was bad. It was just that Tsuiokuhen was more powerful. How it was introduced ultimately led to the Junju arc and was very well done.

Of course this Tsuiokuhen "led" to the main series instead.

I know it is bias to ask it here, but hey.
ConfuciusJun 8, 2011 1:51 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 24, 2011 10:56 PM

Feb 2010
I have to agree. Both are amazing in different ways. The manga version is much more "light", and there are breaks, and little tiny moments where you can laugh. The OVA though are just, I want to say sad, but it's more than that. The manga does have some powerful parts in it though, Kenshin shows more emotion them and you get to see him going "apeshit" crazy. In the OVA you see it but it's not screaming at you like in the manga.
Jan 13, 2012 5:38 PM

Sep 2007
It depends. For the beauty and symbolism, I love the OVA. However, it left out some very important things from the manga, such as Kenshin playing with the village children, reduced Enishi to a bit player, and showed Kenshin fighting the Yaminobu in a haze of depression instead of in a rage like in the manga. I understand these changes were made for realism and to keep the mood melancholy, but I would not have made those changes.
Mar 25, 2013 6:48 PM
Mar 2013
I think they were both good, for reasons both similar and different.

The manga is more straightforward and clear, while the OVA is more etched with allegory and symbolism. There are moments in both that I like, and in both, moments I would do different.

I think the best version would honestly be a merging of the two, if it were to ever happen.

But if I absolutely HAD to choose; I'd choose the OVA because it has the advantage of animation and music on it's side - and that music is incomparable.
Apr 29, 2013 12:52 AM

Apr 2013
I haven't read or seen this story arc in quite a while, but i remember specifically, they changed a small part in the ova that annoyed me a little, with how Kenshin got his second scar by the girl. The ova left it with more speculation whether she died still hating Kenshin with how she gives him the cut herself, while in the manga, the sword falls and cuts Kenshin as it does, giving adding a more definitive answer that she loved him at the end. So that sort of annoyed me with the ova, cuz it does change things sort of... but apart from that one thing (which mind u is sorta big to me >_>), the ova was better. I wish they left that scene the way it was in the manga.
"There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk." - Tigana

"The genius of Guilty Crown is that they made a show so stupid and illogical that it's almost impossible to criticize properly. I don't even know where to start."
- Sleeplesstown
Apr 29, 2013 1:50 AM
Mar 2013
SalaZin said:
I haven't read or seen this story arc in quite a while, but i remember specifically, they changed a small part in the ova that annoyed me a little, with how Kenshin got his second scar by the girl. The ova left it with more speculation whether she died still hating Kenshin with how she gives him the cut herself, while in the manga, the sword falls and cuts Kenshin as it does, giving adding a more definitive answer that she loved him at the end. So that sort of annoyed me with the ova, cuz it does change things sort of... but apart from that one thing (which mind u is sorta big to me >_>), the ova was better. I wish they left that scene the way it was in the manga.

I initially disliked that very same change as well! However, I think that I disliked it simply because I couldn't understand it very well, just like you.

I agree that things in the OVA are definitely harder to figure out, as everything is wrapped-up in symbolism one way or another, and it's not like the movie explains it'self(but dosen't hide it'self, either). Nothing a few extra viewings can't solve.

Now? I actually love the change that she gave him the scar. From what I can gather, Tomoe gave him that scar as both something to remind him of her, and something to show him that she forgave him, to show him that her revenge was wrong, which is why when she crossed it, the hatred in Kenshin's wound was finally absolved and it stopped bleeding, her loving feelings for Kenshin showing that she forgave him for destroying her happiness because he gave her a new one.

That is powerful story-telling. IMO, better than the manga version.

And, to be honest, her last line, "I'm so sorry, anata"(another great addition), I think left it pretty clear to both Kenshin and the viewer that there was no question that she loved him and forgave him, along with the fact that if that wound was out of hatred, it wouldn't have stopped bleeding, just like the first.
May 1, 2013 11:16 AM

Jul 2010
They were both great, I feel wrong saying which was better.
Oct 27, 2013 10:40 PM
Mar 2013
I like the Tsuiokuhen version better. The manga was presented as a flashback and felt like a prolonged diversion from the main story. Tsuiokuhen was presented as an entirely new and different experience. Rather than having the feeling that Kenshin is telling us his story after it was all said and done, it's like we took a time machine to witness his tragic young adult life for ourselves.
Sep 13, 2014 11:45 PM

Jan 2014
Anime is always better than manga, so no surprise there.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 19, 2015 9:50 PM

May 2012
Characterization wise the manga is better.
Who the heck is this character? If you changed his hair color and clothing you wouldn't even know he is kenshin. In the manga version you can still tell that he is kenshin even though he act ruthlessly.
Tomoe is also better in the manga, she show way more emotion and you empathize with her way more.
Jan 7, 2016 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
This OVA is better than the manga counterpart. The whole series starts off as a romantic comedy, then more of a classic Shounen/action (Kyoto arc was great), and finally in the final arc (Jinchuu) it becomes a drama and eventually a tragedy which invokes profound emotions when told correctly. I think the darkness in this OVA is well fitting considering the time of civil war when it took place and would be great if it were included in a full adaptation in the future of Rurouni Kenshin.

One of the things that makes the series great is that it is able to have a change of tone as the plot progresses, and the Prequel OVA is the Epitome of that transformation. We as an audience got a treat when we were shown the first episodes of the Kyoto arc, and it was a shock to see how much more serious the plot had become after the introduction of Saitou and Shishio. This again happens to an even greater degree in the third arc after the story of Tomoe tragic fate is revealed and when Enishi kills Kaoru out of revenge. Once this happens we see Kenshin completely break down crying for failing to protect her and loses he his will to live. When you look back on the story as a whole, you can see how far along the characters are when you consider how goofy they were in the first few episodes and chapters. It does wonders for character development seeing these "Shock Episodes/Chapters". After reading the whole manga and seeing the OVA's, you can really see that these characters are 3 dimensional, and that to me is great storytelling.
Rose_BombJan 7, 2016 12:05 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 17, 2008

57 by catmancatplan »»
Apr 16, 5:23 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hznu - Sep 16, 2008

190 by Jirokissaw »»
Apr 11, 9:47 PM

» Can I finally watch this after seeing the 2023 remake or I have to still see the Kyoto arc?

Cestlavie_ - Dec 16, 2023

13 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 17, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 2, 2008

75 by RFXs »»
Feb 9, 7:57 AM

» Similar tragic romance

yoru987 - Aug 13, 2023

5 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.