Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Apr 17, 2014 3:06 AM
Jan 2014
It broke mine too, I can't ever rewatch it. The greatest heartbreak is when you can't be with the person you love because of situation/life. They were perfect for each other, just not a perfect situation.
Apr 17, 2014 3:28 AM

Jul 2010
I watched it already 9 times. And I would still repeat it. Cause damn too good anime ^^

But don't forget "Garden of Words". As well a good anime although it's only 45 min.
Apr 17, 2014 3:44 AM

Feb 2013
Oh...man......that anime sure made my eyes get all sweaty.....

God....I really need to watch something happier after that one.....fucking hell.
Apr 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Jan 2011
4 years ago when I watched it for the first time I was like "Hmm... it's OK", but after the second watch the movie has really grown on me... The second part just left me speechless. Truly a work of art.
Apr 18, 2014 4:23 PM
Aug 2013
Look at it from a neutral view point.
>A boy and girl fell in love
>They got separated (life's a bitch)
>skip to adulthood
>both had the chance have a new life partner,Now what happened? The girl chose to marry, yet the guy stayed hartbroken. THIS RIGHT THERE is often true. Even studies show that it happens that way.
I just wanted to point that out
Apr 25, 2014 6:14 AM

Sep 2013
Meh..no feels for me.

6/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
May 11, 2014 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
That ending was like a stab in my heart. But I can't see a more fitting ending for this movie.
May 13, 2014 3:23 PM

Mar 2014
Just rewatched it the third time and still the best anime movie for me. There are no words to describe this beautiful artwork ( I mean who doesn't have at least one wallpaper/picture with the scenes on his computer- my favourite one is when the rocket is launched and it flyes right through the middle of the sun and towards the planet (Earth?nice idea)) and the heart-breaking theme song, made me feel sorry for not being born Japanese to understand without translation, but it isn't a barrier because you can feel that bitter-sweet pain even without knowing at first.
Jun 8, 2014 8:39 PM
Aug 2013
actually the ending is not sad. I do really like this movie but not because it is sad.
Jun 9, 2014 7:25 AM

Oct 2013
Average movie with a very beautiful artwork. Didn't know it was a 2007 film intil I looked it up here on MAL.

It feels tgat they crammed too much plot in too little time.

Episode 1 we have a boy riding a train going to where her love is. Then they talked and kissed under a tree. Then boy goes home and probably never saw the girl again.

Episode 2 was in their highschool days where another girl had a crush on the boy and the boy was all emo and shit. Then said girl tries to confess but realized that the boy never looked at her that way and that he was always looking beyond.

Episode 3 we have the boy all grown up but still loved his childhood love although Akari is already engaged and moved on with her life. Then a sad song was thrown in with a series of clips showibg the boy (forgot his name) and Akari and all that happened, what should have happened, and what he thinks is happening (like when he sees Akari outside the train). And then they end the movie.

The movie had a lot of potential and probably would have been way better if they increased the episode count and also showed us how the two was able to move on with their lives.

Anyway, it wasn't a waste of time although its still not something I'm gonna rewatched anytime soon.
Jun 10, 2014 1:59 PM

Jan 2013
I get the feeling that a lot of people took this movie the wrong way.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best looking things I have seen so far. I just can't speak highly enough of how amazing it looks. But, it's not all pretty visuals. I have never seen an anime before that felt so 'alive' as this one.

Summarized, this movie is not something to enjoy or whatever, it's something that has to make you think, to make you look back to the past. It is more the heavy feeling you have after watching this, which lasts for like several days. You think about your own feelings. We all had a person or more, we are drifted away from. It hurts. And this is what is sad.

I would say to everyone to re-watch this if you disliked it, just to realize it's simplicity, which also lends the movie it's beauty. The message at the ending is the most important thing about the movie. It tells you to move on, no matter how hard life sucks. It shows us how unfair and painful life can be, that life can be so cruel from time to time, as it isn't the kind of paradise most shows want us to believe.

This is without a doubt one of the best romances out there, probably along with Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal it is the best. Instead of showing a forced crappy ending where problems are solved with magic (in shows like Kanon, Clannad and other key bullshit), this anime perfectly illustrates and reflects real life. The cruelty of childhood, the delusion of adulthood.

The world we live in is gentle yet sad, fun yet sorrowful, strong yet ephemeral.
killmeeeJun 10, 2014 2:05 PM
Jun 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Oct 2013
No heavy feeling for me after watching this.
Jun 10, 2014 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
Jharapsody said:
chapter I : 9/10
Chapter II: 7/10
Chapter III: 5/10

Chapter III is only 5 coz they didn't end up as couple ... :_/ ..

Literally the lamest reason to rate it lower

Idk, I personally think the ending was one of the best parts of the movie.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jun 11, 2014 6:57 AM

Jan 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
Idk, I personally think the ending was one of the best parts of the movie.

It was.
Jun 11, 2014 6:57 AM

Jan 2013
-Riptide- said:

You still don't know where I was getting to, do you?
Jun 11, 2014 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
This is the best anime film I've seen to date.

Jun 11, 2014 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
Exactly.
Jun 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Oct 2013
Broeksnoek said:
This is the best anime film I've seen to date.

Then you haven't seen a lot of anime film.

StiffyMcBoner said:
-Riptide- said:

You still don't know where I was getting to, do you?

I got what you're trying to say. All I'm saying is they crammed too much story in the span of one hour. Plus the characters lack depth. All we know from Akari was she was the protagonist's girlfriend when they were 13 and then they got seperated. Next time we see her, she's already engaged to someone else. And all we got from the protagonist (what was his name again?) in episode 2 was him being a depressed teen who couldn't move on with his life. How am I supposed to like the movie if I barely knew the main characters? And who the hell was the girl in episode 3 texting the protagonist?

Oh and one more thing. At least those "key bullshit" have characters with depth. And as far as I know, key's bullshit has better stories than this "realistic" movie.
Jun 11, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
Tis true. I haven't seen alot of anime in general, let alone animation films..but this story did have a large impact on me. To that extent that it got me back into anime after a 3 year hiatus.

Jun 11, 2014 10:59 AM

Oct 2013
Broeksnoek said:
Tis true. I haven't seen alot of anime in general, let alone animation films..but this story did have a large impact on me. To that extent that it got me back into anime after a 3 year hiatus.

Well I ain't gonna judge your opinion. But still, you should watch more animes. A lot are better than this.
Jun 11, 2014 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
Key's magical shit deals with bland characters and extremely forced drama. With the overdramatic parts the anime is literally asking you: "Are you crying already?". Instead of leaving a real message to its audience, it just fucks everything up in the last episode. But no, every problem gets fixed with magic. Maybe the only message left was that problems in life can be fixed with magic? No sorry, but I just don't believe in magic. Just because those characters get more screentime, doesn't mean that they have depth already. Most of them deal with incomplete characterization or don't have any real motives. Most of them are plot devices and there are tons of supporting characters who are there for reasons I have yet to understand.

Furthermore, there are too many convenient plot devices, they contradicted their own pursuit of realism and there are tons over-dramatized situations. Those shows spent so much time trying to build this false delusion about how "friendship solves everything" that essential aspects got completely disregarded, which is an incredible shame, since a show like After Story had so much potential.

I think we just have to deal with the fact that our opinions just differ.
Jun 11, 2014 12:21 PM

Apr 2014
5 cm = best anime film i've ever seen.
after story = best anime series i've ever seen.

Gonna grab popcorn. This is gonna be good....xD

Jun 12, 2014 10:24 AM

Oct 2013
Whoah slow down there. I think we're getting a bit off topic here. My argument was that the characters are underdeveloped. Having very little screen time, we get to know so little about 5cm/s' characters. It makes it hard for me to feel sorry for them because I know little about them. The movie didn't give me time to know the characters so by episode 3 when they suddenly ended the movie with a song that tries to force you to be sad, I felt nothing.

Anyway, you're right. I guess we should just agree to disagree.
Jun 12, 2014 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
I understand.

You're right.

I love you.
Jun 18, 2014 5:43 AM

Jun 2013
I watched this anime with my whole class before in HS. And I can remember how pissed almost all of us were. lol
Jun 22, 2014 3:28 PM
Apr 2014
Sigh... I feel like I just got shot through the chest. Now I feel empty.
Jul 9, 2014 8:03 AM

Dec 2012
Just realized!! They never got their scooters back from that place, did they??(can't quite remember, despite having just watched it)

Anyway, I wanted the happy ending!!! I want to rewatch it, but at the same time I don't want to cos of the sad ending...

Really good movie, amazing art(loved the backgrounds, so much detail), the sound was outstanding. I don't care what someone else says, this is a true masterpiece. But I still wanted the happy ending where Akari and Tohno end up together again!!!
Jul 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Oct 2012
So sad. The girl turned out to be happier than the guy.

P.S. 27 people have no heart??
Jul 17, 2014 1:05 AM

Oct 2011
It was a very good movie overall though the last part was just depressing.
Jul 19, 2014 11:30 AM

Jul 2014
WTF is with the ending. Gah!!
I don't know why I agree to my friend demanding me to watch this anime. Now i just got her reasoning, she just doesn't want me to have an ending like Takaki.
Nonetheless, it's still a beautiful movie to watch. I love that music with piano as bgm and the ending song just made me burst like a baby. I just hope both of them got their happy ending. really.
Google first, ask later
Jul 23, 2014 10:56 PM
Jul 2012
Wow! That really hit me hard... Akari, from the look of the ring she has on, is probably getting married. So sad how Takaki has it bad on his end. From what the story showed us. I would feel more complete and satisfied if they met up in the future and ended up together. But the ending, I'd have to say, was perfect. That ending song caught me off guard. The song wasn't really appealing but the lyrics fit. I was looking for something more soft and sweet. Overall I had high expectations for this movie and I'm glad I watched it. 10/10
Jul 28, 2014 9:33 PM
Jul 2014
u had a question about the movie at the end the second time they show him about to look back then the trains interupt and the girl is gone, he smirks and i cant tell if hes relieved or not but i cant get this outta my head why does he smile at the end, cause he can finally accept that there is no longer love there both sidedly and move on thats my only possibility like theres no reason for him to feel anything but regret cause he left words unspoken who knew what woulda happened had they both confessed and showed there letters
Aug 4, 2014 6:55 AM

Jun 2012
Utter fucking garbage.
Aug 7, 2014 3:48 AM
Jul 2014
A few things to notice:
-At the very end, the girls legs disappear from underneath the passing trains as soon as it pans to the trains. There is not sign of movement away from the crossing, or that she was ever there in the first place.

-Before that, when Tono was riding on a passing train, Akari was very conspicuously reading by herself.

-Whenever the Akari was portrayed in the ending, she was happy and smiling.

-Although Tono and Akari initially sent mail to each other, the mail eventually stopped.

I propound that Tono was only imagining that she existed in those scenes and that he smiled/smirked at the very end of the movie when he finally gets over her and realizes that she was never with him for those thirteen years.

For the movie as a whole: Excessive narration, but overall well-done. 8/10
Aug 10, 2014 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
The feels T_T
Gah!
The ending song totally got me. :'(
Aug 11, 2014 9:36 AM

Jun 2013
Ya it seemed like the guy hasn't moved on but the girl did. I was hoping he would end up with Sumida. But totally worth a watch. 8/10
Aug 11, 2014 10:17 PM
Jul 2014
damm the ending.

Well i suppose it was not meant to work out from the beginning
I just wish the stayed in conact and stayed as friends.
So all i can hope now is that they meet again and stay as friends afterwards
Aug 18, 2014 10:20 PM

Oct 2009
I was just reading the director's comments included in the international edition blu-ray and Shinkai described the movie as "a story where nothing happens". He stated that he was trying to depict events as realistically as possible and his goal with the movie was to portray the beauty in every day life.

I can honestly say that watching this movie has taught me to appreciate the beauty of the mundane everyday occurrences in life. I'm so glad I've seen this movie!
Sep 2, 2014 6:10 AM

Jan 2014
Although everything was really well done,
as we've all noticed it lacks some kind of
real closure to it. Call me mainstream or
whatever, but I do enjoy stories that
are finished more. Liked this, though.
Sep 3, 2014 9:18 PM
Aug 2014
Agree with you 100% on this. First time I watched this, I was pretty pissed off and depressed. After rewatching it about a year later, I realized how amazing this movie was because it's just so realistic. We all have that person we have once loved, whether it being a friend or lover. You always thought you'd be with them for the rest of your life, but relationships come and go. You eventually move on, and that's just how life is. There is no guarantee that the people who you are with now will be in your life ten years from now. In fact, it's only natural that you will make new relationships and lose some.
hesselz said:
I get the feeling that a lot of people took this movie the wrong way.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best looking things I have seen so far. I just can't speak highly enough of how amazing it looks. But, it's not all pretty visuals. I have never seen an anime before that felt so 'alive' as this one.

Summarized, this movie is not something to enjoy or whatever, it's something that has to make you think, to make you look back to the past. It is more the heavy feeling you have after watching this, which lasts for like several days. You think about your own feelings. We all had a person or more, we are drifted away from. It hurts. And this is what is sad.

I would say to everyone to re-watch this if you disliked it, just to realize it's simplicity, which also lends the movie it's beauty. The message at the ending is the most important thing about the movie. It tells you to move on, no matter how hard life sucks. It shows us how unfair and painful life can be, that life can be so cruel from time to time, as it isn't the kind of paradise most shows want us to believe.

This is without a doubt one of the best romances out there, probably along with Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal it is the best. Instead of showing a forced crappy ending where problems are solved with magic (in shows like Kanon, Clannad and other key bullshit), this anime perfectly illustrates and reflects real life. The cruelty of childhood, the delusion of adulthood.

The world we live in is gentle yet sad, fun yet sorrowful, strong yet ephemeral.
Sep 4, 2014 12:54 AM

Apr 2009
Poor Takaki... T___T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2014 8:11 AM

May 2014
aww :(( That ending hurt my soul however this was truly masterpiece ! One of the series I'll never forget.
Sep 23, 2014 6:53 AM
May 2012
Well, I have known this Anime movie for quite some time already, but I was waiting for the right time and mood to watch it. I guess, today was the right time, and mood. A friend of mine asked me to give him again a sad, romance Anime, and then I gave him this. He said that he really didn't like the ending. I said: Ah yes, most people didn't like the ending, but some people likes ending like that, a bittersweet ending. I, myself, kinda like bittersweet endings. It depends on the characters..........but now that I have watched this movie and saw its ending, I can say that I really didn't like it. The ending reminded me of Aku no Hana's ending. I mean, yes, it's realistic, and maybe that's the reason why I didn't like it. Come on, they love each other. If distance is the only thing that is keeping them away from each other, then, fight it. You gotta fight, man. How can they just accept it?? Also, they could have at least showed us how Akari just decided to marry someone. She looks really happy while Takaki looks sad as fuck. Also, who is that girl with glasses?? Damn, she is hot, but she looks sad as fuck, too. She and Takaki should be together. I wonder what happened to Sumida. Either Sumida or hot glasses lady end up with Takaki. First part really touched me because of their determination to see each other, and then, at the third part, they are not together?? Fuck, man :/ Made me wish that Sumida successfully confessed to Takaki.
I really like part 1 and 2, but part 3 kinda annoyed me. I am all for sad ending, as long as it really fits or some shit like that. For example, Phantom: Requiem for the phantom's ending. Now, that's more I like it.
Anyway, superb animation, as expected. Music is great, too. I love those piano pieces. Though, the song came out of nowhere. The lyrics fits the movie, but the tune kinda didn't, but I still like it. Well, that's it for my movie spree. Until next time. I'll just accompany my siblings now, as they watch Naruto for a while. Since, they are on the Naruto vs. Sasuke fight which I really like.

Edit: I always end up saying "5 Centimeters Per Inches", instead of "5 Centimeters Per Second".
TengaiSep 23, 2014 10:32 AM
Nov 7, 2014 11:35 PM

Jan 2014
Beautiful anime movie........
animation was great........music was great
really loved it
really beautiful love story
but only if takaki and akari would have ended up together as well
i loved the feeling and emotions i got while watching this movie...
Nov 11, 2014 12:32 AM

Sep 2013
In other words... Nothing happened and everything was forgotten. Damn. Childhood friend never wins.

TBH: I hated the voice acting in this anime. They always sounded so dead. Maybe that is just symbolism of how they are all just dying inside, but it didn't make the show very engaging in that respect.
nep-nepNov 11, 2014 12:37 AM
Nov 28, 2014 3:07 PM

Jul 2013
Akari actually moved on and as time passed, she forgot about him little by little it seems and met someone knew. or when she met someone new, she forgot about him little by little until the letter she got and she remember everything. While Takaki still remembers her as he trys to forget about her. Felt so bad for the guy since I know how it feels in a way. When they was walking by each other i was lost for words. unsatisfied ending since they were perfect for each other by they never happened.
Dec 1, 2014 8:54 AM

Dec 2013
Meh, nothing new. Visuals were very good so +1 for that. 4/10
AizixDec 1, 2014 10:03 AM
Dec 24, 2014 2:28 AM

Sep 2012
I thought there's something more after the ending song, but no T_T
I like the song though

Honestly, I like this movie, its just that the ending ruined it. I guess the ending kinda fits the movie, but I don't like the way they end it, its like they rushed it.
Dec 30, 2014 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
While i really want to like this a lot i cant bring myself to. To me it only showed the "distance" between Takaki and Akari, and i know this movie is to express the distance between the two, i still wanted some screen time of the two together, the only time we see them actually together were as kids, and when they met up after they were teenagers. Then comes the 3rd chapter which felt rushed, and i really wished i couldve gotten to see them "make up" or something like that, all we really got to see was Akari have a ring and assume she isnt marrying Takaki, and see Takaki all sad and depressed and Akari livin the life, but we get some resolution towards the end, not really sure what happened. While this movie seems very realistic, it only showed the bad side of having a distance relationship, the two shouldve still ended up together, i for one think that. But im glad there was some resolution, as i said earlier. Enjoyed it overall (although the 2nd chapter was a little irrelevant, and shouldve been more focused on Akari and Takaki)

Overall a good movie 7/10
Wanna listen to some good OP/ED songs? Head over to my profile!
Jan 3, 2015 2:48 AM

Dec 2014
This movie was really depressing not to mention disappointing . It seems the goal was to make a pretty bland story have a impact on the viewers through a sad ending or something . Well i despise endings like this. The animation and sound were good though. 7/10
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Pages (16) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.