Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2010 8:44 PM

Jul 2009
5layer said:
I watched this movie a long time ago and never really got around to posting here.

Well I don't want to sound like a douche but, this movie was absolutely atrocious. It was indeed beautifully animated and super pleasant to look at but the whole thing was just so bloody boring.

It simply couldn't get any slower paced. 5 cm per second my ass. It's more like 5 goddamn mm per century.

An entire hour or so of melancholy and minimum plot progression. That's what this was. Reminds me of the 2nd Kara no Kyoukai movie actually. The entire movie wasted it's time showing us pretty scenes while doing nothing for the plot.

I remember I read somewhere where someone said this movie had an incredibly amount of content per minute. That gave me some good laughs.

Only reason I ever bothered with this movie was because someone said the random guy who made it was on Miyazaki's level. What a joke.
YAY, this.

It's a really dramatic anime, nothing against that. What makes me pissed about this movie is how it's so overly dramatic. I mean, it's a serious situation and everything, but just like Air, it keeps trying to make me feel the same as the main characters - depressed. It tries to play with my feelings by making everything longer and thougher and just over. I don't like getting fooled like that. If an anime makes me cry, it's because I've grown close to the main characters enough to care for them, feeling sad if something makes them sad, and that's called plot development. Don't shoot me, but I agree with him, 5 Centimeters Per Second has no plot progression at all. This explains why I have no feelings towards the main characters and why I felt so bored while watching.

I think the slow pacing thing is nice as long as it has amazing OSTs and is so beautifully animated. But slow pacing bores me. It might be a matter of opinion, but one thing is certain: this movie is too slow paced. It's good for some, and awful for me, for example.

I gave it a 7/10.
Jan 4, 2010 5:08 PM
Apr 2008
Those who do not enjoy this just probably have not been in love before.

I can relate with this movie and damn it has opened my eyes (I'm crazy over a childhood friend who lives far away). Thank you Makoto Shinkai. I now pray for my future happiness.
Jan 5, 2010 6:30 PM
Sep 2009
lol people who watched this movie expecting a plot.
Jan 10, 2010 4:19 PM

Jun 2009
I honestly thought this movie was brilliant, a movie that makes you think, and one that people can take different things from, not everyone is going to be left with the same lingering thoughts after watching this, and that is what I think makes it great, people will take different things away with them from it.

I thought the pace was almost perfect for what was happening, some people may find that it was "boring" because of the pace, and even I thought that at some points it dragged on slightly, but then again, not everyone is going to like everything, I'm not going to judge anyone because of that, this is not something for everyone,

The only issue I had with this was the final part, which, in my opinion, was over a little too quickly, I would have liked it to last a little longer, go into slightly more detail about them all, but, I won't complain...

All you people who are bashing each other in this discussion thread, get over it, you have different opinions, so what?
There is no need to insult each other over that, and I must say I agree with quite a few points etternus made, even though he found some of the messages the movie was trying to convey "pointless" and lost on him, he could still respect the points it was trying to get across, and realise that it was a good movie, which is more mature than some of you people arguing in here, don't bash him just because his spelling and sentence structure isn't perfect, that's just being plain ignorant.

I don't see it as a 'masterpiece', but it is still brilliant, even though there are things I didn't like about it, the good things I see in it far outweigh them.
Jan 16, 2010 1:40 AM

May 2009
theeggman85 said:
OmegaJudgement said:
The way i see the ending

The women in the office was Kanae who finally confessed her love for Takaki. He turned her down since he was still expecting to go with Akari little does he know Akari has gotten engaged and when they meet for the next time she is going to tell him that.

So now he doesn't have Akari or Kanae and is going to die a lonely death from lung cancer (smoking kills!)

OOoooh ok... sometimes I got Kanae and Akari mixed up. That seems to make more sense. Very sad stuff, but amazing to watch. 9/10

Wasn't Kanae the girl in episode 2? If so, I don't believe the woman in the 3rd episode was Kanae. She was just someone altogether new whom Takaki was seeing but then stopped, realising their relation wouldn't progress any further. Kanae never told Takaki of her feelings but I guess Takaki understood her feelings on that nigh kanae started crying, only he never encouraged her to tell it. That's just my random guess. ^^ But I am pretty sure the woman with glasses in the 3rd episode wasn't kanae. She was addressed "Mizuno san" by someone.
Jan 19, 2010 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
Finally watched it.

In terms of animation, 5CPS blew me away. The detail from the different hues of the star-filled night sky to the characters' body language and facial exprssions in which the director seemingly wanted to convey their current emotions without them uttering a word was a visual feast.

The music was also brilliant and complimented the gorgeous animation and the turning points of the plot. The ending song especially stuck to me and I doubt I'll be forgetting it any time soon, actually, I think I'll download it to my ipod to listen to it from time to time :D

Now to the storyline and characterization. I share some of the posters' criticism that the plot was just a rehash of Voices of a Distant Star with the exception of the conclusion of the long distance relationship between the two main characters.

Also, while I was moved by how Shinkai had maturely dealt with Sumida's unrequited love for Takai and the beauty of it, I felt the time spent on it took away from explaining in detail how he and Akari grew apart, which made Chapter 3 come as rushed in how it wrapped things up. I caught on that Akari was the first to move on, but the way he didn't elaborate on the circumstances that drove her to made me and other viewrs a bit lost.

Don't get me wrong, while it was utterly beautiful in VoDS that the two main characters kept loving each other despite the time and distances that separated them (with the boy being more prone to move on, but he never forgot about the girl and ended up following her into space), I would've found it cheesy if it recurred in 5CPS, and I give Shinkai credit for giving Takaí and Akari's relationship a realistic conclusion.

The first chapter was brilliant and detailed in describing what the two characters were going through to keep in touch with each other, the scond was touching in conveying Sumida's pain and hesitance, but chapter 3 really ruined what the two previous ones meticulously built. It would've really helped the storyltelling if there were a 4th chapter to explain what needed to be explained.

7/10
removed-userJan 30, 2010 9:16 AM
Jan 23, 2010 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
Faust721 said:

This movie was just beautiful. It was definitely Shinkai's best work. His earlier works had something to do with the theme "distance" and this one was no exception. Each episode used the theme very well imo. And it broke my heart when that distance never got closer in the end. It broke my heart when I found out that Takaki and Akari would never end up together. I really just wanted to cry. Even though in my head I thought that it was a very beautiful and fitting ending, I couldnt except it (hence the lower score than what some people thought I would give it). I wanted the predictable ending. Overall, Shinkai excellently portrayed the theme of "distance", whether its the physical distince in Oukashou(episode 1), the distance in feelings in Cosmonaut(episode 2) or the distance in time in 5cm Per Second(episode 3). Like I said earlier, definitely his best work and his best using the theme "distance", but in this rare case for me, it was too well done.

I agree with you mostly, and I did like the themes of the story and all...

I liked the first two episodes, but the last one with the insert song kind of killed the mood.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2010 5:56 PM

Feb 2008
Technically impeccable, but not as magnificent as the atmosphere present throughout the course of the film. Direction and screenplay going well, but there is a constant feeling that was not enough. It's good, but in my opinion, is not even close to being a masterpiece.
Jan 28, 2010 6:49 AM

Jun 2009

Love.
Sad. :(
Jan 29, 2010 3:07 PM

Sep 2009
I suppose not every ending has to be one that resolves to make a great anime; I found it a tad boring after I finished it at first, but then it really got me thinking. The insert song was pretty good in my opinion, and the whole sequence summed up the themes in the anime quite well too.
Feb 5, 2010 11:58 PM

Oct 2008
I DON'T LIKE THE ENDING.

I don't understand, did they get together, or did they not? >< It's killing me.

And Akari is apparently getting married?? To who? :S
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 6, 2010 6:11 AM
Jan 2009
It's been almost a month since that heated exchange in the previous page but I just wanna say: Don't feed the trolls, people. When you do so, you take a step towards trolldom, yourself.

It wasn't until I'd read half of this thread that I finally understood what the ending of this movie was all about.

Akari is getting married to someone else. She's moved on already.

Takaki was confused, right until the end of the movie. By episode 3 he's no longer really waiting for Akari, I think. Just that he doesn't know where to move on to from there. After all, it would be very hard to find someone who he will feel as strongly about as Akari. And he gave up trying to move on, and even got a girlfriend whom he doesn't love, in an attempt to settle down. Then, he dreamt of that snowy night with Akari, and from that he found the energy to carry on searching. Therefore he quit his job, he is seeking a fresh direction in life.

That's why, at the train crossing in the end, he could smile and carry on his way. It's no longer about him and Akari, after all. That chapter of their lives has closed long ago. Akari knows that too, which is why she didn't even wait at the crossing.

I think girls have it easy, someone woos them and they fall in love and that helps them get over things. Us guys are expected to get over it ourselves, even though we aren't any better at it than girls are, and then work up further courage and energy to go after more girls.

Great movie, I was really immersed in it. The use of a song as the ending did spoil the mood a bit, because I don't understand Japanese and was struggling to read the lyric translations and make sense of the flickering images at the same time. But the song is quite an appropriate one for the movie.
Feb 6, 2010 2:35 PM

Nov 2007
Watched it for the third time today (in delicious full HD)... and I still can't stomach the ending. I would really have loved a clichéd, happy one in this case. The first part of the movie is, however, incredible. Very much so.
Feb 12, 2010 10:02 AM
Nov 2009
Anitnelav said:
I DON'T LIKE THE ENDING.

I actually did like the ending... it proved to me that not every love story has a happy ending.

(No they did not...)

Things don't go all the time as we wish they would... That's what life is about and I sort of relate with the story.

Brilliant movie, I didn't expect the sad ending, that's probably why I loved it so much.
Feb 13, 2010 2:38 PM

Feb 2009
I loved the movie. I loved the mood of the movie. It really touched me. Especially at the ending
Feb 13, 2010 7:18 PM

Dec 2009
Quite the sad story about life and loss of love. They both contemplate what it would be like to try to be together but realize that what they had is over. If I think about it too much it'll bring to mind similar losses for me & really tare at me. I think this story really captured the last moments of a relationship well.

I may be mistaken but it appears this movie stopped being manufactured and can no longer be bought.
Such junk...
Feb 20, 2010 5:17 AM

Feb 2008
RedNBlackStars said:
Anitnelav said:
I DON'T LIKE THE ENDING.

I actually did like the ending... it proved to me that not every love story has a happy ending.

(No they did not...)

Things don't go all the time as we wish they would... That's what life is about and I sort of relate with the story.

Brilliant movie, I didn't expect the sad ending, that's probably why I loved it so much.

This is why this movie is a true masterpiece. It showed how harsh reality is, how bitter first love can be. Those elements blended together and made an outstanding plot setting.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 21, 2010 1:16 PM

Mar 2009
I was underwhelmed by this one. The problem was that I just never really cared about Takaki or his (non) relationship with Akari. It was really sad when they couldn't be together at the end of part 1, but by part 3 three when he still hadn't moved on, it went from sad to pathetic that he was letting his life fall apart because of an obsession with someone he hadn't seen in a decade. Unlike Voices where they were waiting a long time to be together, in 5cm, Takaki didn't have that hope.

It wasn't even that realistic since the vast majority of people whose relationships fall apart manage to get over it eventually. That isn't to say he shouldn't miss her or still love her, but he should have been able to move on.

That said, the art was absolutely outstanding and part 1 was fantastic. The end of that was the type of bittersweet, inconclusive ending that the end of part 3 should have been.

So, not a bad movie, just one that was very slow and never really went anywhere.
Feb 23, 2010 8:09 PM

Jul 2009
Damn, after watching this movie. I'm feel a little bit depressed. But i think that's how we go through our life. Things doesn't go exactly as we planned.
Mar 2, 2010 12:49 PM

Jul 2009
Anitnelav said:
I DON'T LIKE THE ENDING.

Well that's the point. This movie was made from an artistic point of view. It just tells that we shouldn't end to regret our life and that we shouldn't wait for our ocasions to pass by.

This movie is just like a poetry, but an animated one. It's a masterpiece(my opinion) :)

Mar 3, 2010 11:29 AM
May 2008
I watched this last night in 1080p on a brand new 52 in TV. It was easily the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Every still-frame deserved its own painting on my wall, especially the ones of space and the moon. I loved it, but I wasn't emotionally touched enough to give it a perfect score.

9/10

I'm going to have to watch this again in a few months and I may have a different opinion on it.
Mar 6, 2010 2:11 AM

Aug 2009
Sorry to say, but it was huge disappointment watching this anime...

I didn't expect it to have a plot anyway. I wanted something touching, and something that makes me sad. However, I couldn't even feel a single empathy towards Takaki.

Don't get me wrong. I was absolutely amazed about all those overwhelming visuals and sound effects. Pacing was not much a problem to me; I liked all those silent moments and atomsphere it had.

The major problem is, the last chapter. It basically 'failed' to conclude anime. It was not even open ending; I felt like something was seriously lacking. I mean, all those atmosphere and mood built on first two chapters just fall apart miserably there.

Summary of chapter 3: Takaki lives cycled life over and over again, and becomes very NEET like. He is still longing for Akari to come in his life and develop relationship. This ruins his another relationship with Ex and also resulted on giving up his job. On the other hand, Akari was just remembering Takaki as a good old memory of her youth and gets ready for marrying. At last, Takaki finally realises that he has to live a seperated life from her, and ends his imaginary relationship.

Now, the motive itself of the last chapter is not bad. The thing is; it is rushed compare to other parts. Very, very rushed. When first two chapters develop their own different atomsphere a bit by bit with slow paced animations, this chapter ultimately fails to do that, and ruins the whole thing at once for me.

I also, I disliked the character of 'Takaki' a lot. Being chained by the past memories until becoming an adult is kinda pathetic.

I was really feeling like watching the modern remake version of the novel 'Love in the Time of Cholera' which has tons of dramatic metaphors and literary techniques, yet only thing it tells about is one man's forever waiting for a lover who's already living a separated life and gets married. At least '5cm per second' made better ending by closing relationship of both, but still; I wasn't really amused about whole thing.

7/10 for me. Although I liked the visual soooo much, that rushed pacing on last chapter just fails on me.
ringoo4Mar 6, 2010 2:35 AM
Mar 6, 2010 10:47 PM

Oct 2009
ringoo4 said:
I didn't expect it to have a plot anyway. I wanted something touching, and something that makes me sad. However, I couldn't even feel a single empathy towards Takaki.........

.........7/10 for me. Although I liked the visual soooo much, that rushed pacing on last chapter just fails on me.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one who hated Takaki. I also agree that the ending was pretty gimped, but hey there are probably people out there in quite similar situations like Takaki. On the other hand, these endings are the ones I prefer over the ridiculous unrealistic conclusions from other anime; the sad and unconclusive ending just shows us that life can never be the way we want it to be and there is not always a happy ending in a love story, just like in the real world. Other than that; I thought the animation quality was absolutely jaw-dropping and breathtaking. I have never seen such quality in an anime/ova/movie. Every frame can be captured and is worth more than a a thousand words and produced the perfect atsmosphere for the viewer.
Mar 7, 2010 12:08 AM

Aug 2009
^I agree, though I've already mentioned;

Myself in above post said:
At least '5cm per second' made better ending by closing relationship of both.
The thing I mainly disappointed about this anime was only the fact that the whole 'flow' of this anime was a bit shallow. The first two chapters were miraculous. However, last chapter basically... um... screw everything up. They could've done 'better job' on giving us that message of 'realistic approach on love'. In order to do that, they should've done that 'same breathtaking pacing' on that chapter, too. It's not just being unconclusive, but just cutting the film in the middle way of climax.
Mar 7, 2010 1:42 AM

Aug 2009
^ Maybe because of the too much hype ups that my friends gave on this anime I guess... it made my disappointment to become doubled..... >_> I never expected to have this kind of fastened ending.

In case of Takaki, he is freakin adult. All of those loving things are happened in their high school years. Because of his 'love' which is only focused on only one person, he ignored other people who gave him love and tried to go closer. That's pretty selfish, imo.
Mar 7, 2010 11:40 PM

Aug 2009
Destinyisours said:
I don't think it was shallow. You missed the point of the film. People slowly are ripped apart by nature, at a certain speed with a certain distance(Hece cherryblossoms falling at 5c/m away from one another by nature.) It shows that you can never forget, but you can try to move on as much as possible. You always carry yesterday with you.
Distance, 5cm per second, all of them is ok. They were implicated quite nicely in the first chapters. After that, it suddenly jumps to about 6 to 10 years later, and this only takes about 5 minutes to tell last remaining story of distance, which wasn't really conveys those idea of 'distance' at all; but suddenly telling us that their relationship is now closed due to that enormous amount of time skip that we didn't even get to see. Another thing I disliked is, that Takaki had another 'ex-girlfriend' beside him some he will never love due to the 'past memory'. It only hurted those people who loved him.

Memory of love is always crucial, and people's distance also falls apart slowly, and slowly. The message itself is very touching and realistic. However, the depth was a bit lacking to understand how Takaki was acting or their love. I guess this movie was too short to actually convey more depth; but still. If it was only about 10 minutes longer, I've never said this kind of criticisms on this movie.
Mar 12, 2010 3:20 PM

Nov 2009
ringoo4 said:
Destinyisours said:
I don't think it was shallow. You missed the point of the film. People slowly are ripped apart by nature, at a certain speed with a certain distance(Hece cherryblossoms falling at 5c/m away from one another by nature.) It shows that you can never forget, but you can try to move on as much as possible. You always carry yesterday with you.
Distance, 5cm per second, all of them is ok. They were implicated quite nicely in the first chapters. After that, it suddenly jumps to about 6 to 10 years later, and this only takes about 5 minutes to tell last remaining story of distance, which wasn't really conveys those idea of 'distance' at all; but suddenly telling us that their relationship is now closed due to that enormous amount of time skip that we didn't even get to see. Another thing I disliked is, that Takaki had another 'ex-girlfriend' beside him some he will never love due to the 'past memory'. It only hurted those people who loved him.

Memory of love is always crucial, and people's distance also falls apart slowly, and slowly. The message itself is very touching and realistic. However, the depth was a bit lacking to understand how Takaki was acting or their love. I guess this movie was too short to actually convey more depth; but still. If it was only about 10 minutes longer, I've never said this kind of criticisms on this movie.

The three chapters had clear purposes which you apparently missed. One was about the relationship itself. It showed us why they were so close, why it was so hard for Takaki to give up. Go back and watch this part more carefully next time and you'll see how close they really are. Can you imagine the kind of bond they'd need to have to maintain their relationship over such a distance for such a period of time (without cell phones or anything, no less)? Can you imagine how much Takaki had to love Akari to go through such an incredibly massive journey (for someone his age) to see her? Can you imagine how much Akari had to love Takaki to wait that entire time?

The second takes an up close look at how Takaki is coping with the ever growing distance. The way he's so far from everyone around him, the loneliness he feels, the impossible dreams he has. He's ignoring all the potential happiness around him. He can't see that surfer girl. At the same time, we see the steadily growing distance between them. While before they were exchanging letters, now he's just typing up texts that never get sent.

The third chapter shows, after a short summary of what has happened in those five or six years, him accepting things, and moving on. When he walks away from the rail road crossing, he's not chasing after some fleeting chance of that actually being her and him actually being able to find her. He's moving on, and he's finally smiling as a result.

I hope that clarified your specious claims about lack of depth. The depth's there; you just have to pay attention to see it. This isn't the type of movie that spells everything out for you. A lot of the story's told through imagery, symbolism, etc.
Mar 12, 2010 6:34 PM

Aug 2009
^ Those are just a deeper worded version of what I have been saying. It's distance, growing slowly, but at the same time, getting apart; that's all about it. It's not really a 'deep message' neither touching for me. Cliche.

All the point is, this movie was not sad or moving as a lot of people said for me. Imagery, symbolism you call, is a bit simplistically described.

I clearly said that I wasn't expecting for the plot. I just wanted some sense, and emotional touches. I couldn't. That's what this movie left me disappointed.
ringoo4Mar 12, 2010 6:38 PM
Mar 12, 2010 7:12 PM

Nov 2009
ringoo4 said:
^ Those are just a deeper worded version of what I have been saying. It's distance, growing slowly, but at the same time, getting apart; that's all about it. It's not really a 'deep message' neither touching for me. Cliche.

All the point is, this movie was not sad or moving as a lot of people said for me. Imagery, symbolism you call, is a bit simplistically described.

I clearly said that I wasn't expecting for the plot. I just wanted some sense, and emotional touches. I couldn't. That's what this movie left me disappointed.

*rolls eyes* You said there wasn't enough depth, that the movie skipped over several years of his life. I explained that those years weren't relevant. The movie was looking at each stage of Takaki's coping with the distance. The movie ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE SAD. Takaki is SMILING as he walks away at the end.

Your one sentence summary oversimplifies the story greatly. Just because you simplify the story doesn't make the story simple. Just because I say Hamlet's about some kid who can't make up his mind about killing his dad's murder doesn't make it that simple. Sure, that's the general plot, but that doesn't even scratch the surface of the real themes of the play. I practically wrote an essay about the meaning of this movie earlier in this thread.

Honestly, your complete mangling of the English language makes me doubt you're even capable of understanding the movie (unless English isn't your first language, in which case I apologize, but you really shouldn't be trying to discuss something as sophisticated as this in a language you're not very good with).
Mar 12, 2010 7:48 PM

Aug 2009
^Yeah, English is my second language. Excuse me. Having a grammatical error doesn't mean I can't understand the movie. Hurr durr.

Still, I can't help being disappointed about this movie. If you haven't read what I've said, I was completely into this movie until the right end of 3rd chapter.

What you said:
1st chapter -
Can you imagine the kind of bond they'd need to have to maintain their relationship over such a distance for such a period of time (without cell phones or anything, no less)? Can you imagine how much Takaki had to love Akari to go through such an incredibly massive journey (for someone his age) to see her? Can you imagine how much Akari had to love Takaki to wait that entire time?
I just agree with this, since I had nothing wrong with that first chapter. I liked it, and interpretation I got was similar.

2nd chapter -
The second takes an up close look at how Takaki is coping with the ever growing distance. The way he's so far from everyone around him, the loneliness he feels, the impossible dreams he has. He's ignoring all the potential happiness around him. He can't see that surfer girl. At the same time, we see the steadily growing distance between them. While before they were exchanging letters, now he's just typing up texts that never get sent.
Indeed he was ignoring all the happiness. It was the part where I didn't really appreciate. But meh, if you thought it was good, I can't really say anything about it.

3rd chapter:
The third chapter shows, after a short summary of what has happened in those five or six years, him accepting things, and moving on. When he walks away from the rail road crossing, he's not chasing after some fleeting chance of that actually being her and him actually being able to find her. He's moving on, and he's finally smiling as a result.
The problem is, this chapter started with Takaki who gave up his job and can't even have a proper relationship with his other girlfriend ; trapped in the past memories. But it was better seeing his smile at the end.

To sum up, the message might deep for you, but it wasn't for me. If you show war movie to the war refugees, they will have more impact then those who aren't. Same goes to this. All the individuals will have different impression and interpretation regardless of seeing the same message, and we have nothing to say about having a different view on this movie. That's why I don't really have much to say about your 'summary' of chapters other then saying 'that's just what I thought.'

Plus, when I said 'this movie wasn't sad', it was totally referring to the post of sadness recurring over 10 pages of this thread. So, I always thought this movie will be something... sad of course. and, it wasn't. Blah.

If it is because my grammar or arrogance this discussion got heated, sorry... >_>
Mar 12, 2010 9:34 PM

Oct 2009
ringoo4 said:
Plus, when I said 'this movie wasn't sad', it was totally referring to the post of sadness recurring over 10 pages of this thread. So, I always thought this movie will be something... sad of course. and, it wasn't. Blah.
I agree mostly with you, but I actually thought in the 1st chapter when he works hard to arrive on time and the wind blows his letter away was sad as hell. That was pretty damn heartbreaking.
Mar 13, 2010 10:26 AM

Nov 2009
ringoo4 said:
^Yeah, English is my second language. Excuse me. Having a grammatical error doesn't mean I can't understand the movie. Hurr durr.

Still, I can't help being disappointed about this movie. If you haven't read what I've said, I was completely into this movie until the right end of 3rd chapter.

What you said:
1st chapter -
Can you imagine the kind of bond they'd need to have to maintain their relationship over such a distance for such a period of time (without cell phones or anything, no less)? Can you imagine how much Takaki had to love Akari to go through such an incredibly massive journey (for someone his age) to see her? Can you imagine how much Akari had to love Takaki to wait that entire time?
I just agree with this, since I had nothing wrong with that first chapter. I liked it, and interpretation I got was similar.

2nd chapter -
Indeed he was ignoring all the happiness. It was the part where I didn't really appreciate. But meh, if you thought it was good, I can't really say anything about it.

3rd chapter:
The problem is, this chapter started with Takaki who gave up his job and can't even have a proper relationship with his other girlfriend ; trapped in the past memories. But it was better seeing his smile at the end.

To sum up, the message might deep for you, but it wasn't for me. If you show war movie to the war refugees, they will have more impact then those who aren't. Same goes to this. All the individuals will have different impression and interpretation regardless of seeing the same message, and we have nothing to say about having a different view on this movie. That's why I don't really have much to say about your 'summary' of chapters other then saying 'that's just what I thought.'

If it is because my grammar or arrogance this discussion got heated, sorry... >_>

If English WAS your first language, and you can't grasp it enough to write decent sentences, then how are you going to understand subs in English about something as sophisticated as this. That was my point. Also, if you can't hardly speak your native tongue, I'm going to doubt your intelligence in general.

Now, let me try to explain for the last time why the third chapter worked the way it did. We've already seen him struggling to cope with his increasing distance from Akari in the second chapter. We don't need to see more of that in the third chapter. That's why his inability to maintain a relationship, hold a job, etc. is only mentioned briefly. The focus of the third chapter is moving on. Continuing to progress through life and accepting the distance while holding onto the memories is the important thing. That's what Shinkai is trying to emphasize.

Any message, when looked at generally, is simple. What gives it depth is the way that theme is explored. If you look at some of the universally acknowledged classics in literature (e.g. The Sound and The Fury, Hamlet, King Leer, Pride and Prejudice, etc.), the messages and themes are pretty simple. However, the way those themes are looked at throughout those novels and plays is done in a very sophisticated and powerful manner. The same holds true here. I'd copypasta my older posts on this, but they seem to have been deleted.
Mar 13, 2010 2:16 PM
Mar 2008
1st chapter blew me away
2nd chapter, at first I thought it was a completely different story lmao, but I liked it
3rd chapter ruined everything.
I'm disappointed and depressed. I was going to give it a 9, but I'll settle it at 7. I wish I didn't see this.
As for the visuals, 1080p BR was pure orgasm.
Mar 13, 2010 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
tarheel91 said:
If English WAS your first language, and you can't grasp it enough to write decent sentences, then how are you going to understand subs in English about something as sophisticated as this. That was my point. Also, if you can't hardly speak your native tongue, I'm going to doubt your intelligence in general.
Assumption is a bad thing. I watched this about 3 times with both English subs and my native language subs. It is still insulting for me if you are trying to bring down 'intelligent' factors just because of the bad language. >_>

Destinyisours said:
You failed to understand the story is all
Why is it 'fail'? What's so wrong about 'not liking' this anime? Having a different understanding from yours doesn't mean it is 'fail'. Whether you bring down more and more analysis on this anime, it doesn't matter. I'm disappointed, since the anime wasn't turn out to be what I expected. I like how everyone is ignoring that fact, but only focusing on saying; 'you missed the point'.

tarheel91 said:
If you look at some of the universally acknowledged classics in literature (e.g. The Sound and The Fury, Hamlet, King Leer, Pride and Prejudice, etc.), the messages and themes are pretty simple. However, the way those themes are looked at throughout those novels and plays is done in a very sophisticated and powerful manner.
Although I agree at this, I will compare 5cm per second and 'love in the time of cholera', rather than all those Shakespeare masterpieces. Love in the time of cholera had the richest vocabularies and imagery I've ever seen, but I didn't like it, due to it's story; which is about half similar to 5cmpersec.

You guys keep saying that I 'missed' the ture purpose of this anime. However, it is just your interpretation of purpose. Understandings are different from every person; it's just a taste issue.
Mar 13, 2010 5:57 PM

Aug 2009
Destinyisours said:
Since they think the last part "ruined" it. Tell me how. It showed everything. It was a conclusion to the anime and it shows how Takaki is finally able to go on, and no matter what time keeps moving forward. If you failed to grasp this, you obviously failed to understand the anime, or its meaning at all.
I hate to repeat this, but; it's just a taste issue. My understanding is exactly same as what you said there, I already said this numerous time before this post... >_> The problem I had with the third chapter is how it delivers that message. It could've done more in dramatic way like it showed on first 2 chapters, but it didn't nail it imo. Again, it's a freakin taste issue. It's not 'fail'.

Edited: *sighs..* this is why internet argument is studpid. We all just have to repeat the same thing over and over again, yet nothing will be arranged.
ringoo4Mar 13, 2010 6:02 PM
Mar 13, 2010 10:17 PM

Nov 2009
ringoo4 said:
tarheel91 said:
Assumption is a bad thing. I watched this about 3 times with both English subs and my native language subs. It is still insulting for me if you are trying to bring down 'intelligent' factors just because of the bad language. >_>

Destinyisours said:
Why is it 'fail'? What's so wrong about 'not liking' this anime? Having a different understanding from yours doesn't mean it is 'fail'. Whether you bring down more and more analysis on this anime, it doesn't matter. I'm disappointed, since the anime wasn't turn out to be what I expected. I like how everyone is ignoring that fact, but only focusing on saying; 'you missed the point'.

tarheel91 said:
If you look at some of the universally acknowledged classics in literature (e.g. The Sound and The Fury, Hamlet, King Leer, Pride and Prejudice, etc.), the messages and themes are pretty simple. However, the way those themes are looked at throughout those novels and plays is done in a very sophisticated and powerful manner.
Although I agree at this, I will compare 5cm per second and 'love in the time of cholera', rather than all those Shakespeare masterpieces. Love in the time of cholera had the richest vocabularies and imagery I've ever seen, but I didn't like it, due to it's story; which is about half similar to 5cmpersec.

You guys keep saying that I 'missed' the ture purpose of this anime. However, it is just your interpretation of purpose. Understandings are different from every person; it's just a taste issue.

There's nothing wrong with disliking this anime if you've correctly understood it. Well, besides lacking taste (xD). What's wrong is disliking this anime because you didn't understand it correctly. Why can you not even consider the fact that you didn't understand the movie like you were supposed to? You keep going on and on about differences of taste and such, but that's not the issue. It's not a difference of interpretation when you don't understand the focus of the movie in the first place. I'm the first to admit that language and communication in general isn't perfect and that no one will get the exact same thing from one book, movie, whatever. However, communication is not so terrible that someone can completely get a different meaning out of something this clear. This isn't abstract art. There is a reasonable amount of clarity when it comes to the purpose of this movie, and you missed it entirely. The issue is that you didn't understand the anime, and can't fairly judge it as a result.

Finally, if you don't like stuff because of a sad story, I really am going to question your intelligence. Making you feel happy isn't the only way something can be enjoyable.
Mar 14, 2010 1:47 AM

Aug 2009
^ sighs... I have been said that 'the less dramatic development of the third chapter was my ultimate reason for being disappointed about this anime'... I don't dislike this anime.I'm just freakin disappointed that's all... >_>

I understand everything you've been said. I'm not a fool, nor blind. It's insulting when someone is saying things in your face that 'I understand your interpretation and I agree, but it's not the main factor why I disappointed about this anime', you just ignore and keep on saying 'you totally missed the point of this movie, thus your intelligence is assumed to be low.'

What part of me makes you to think that I missed the point of this anime? Even though my interpretation posted first before you came might be different from yours, I clearly mentioned that I got everything of what you said. I said it's about 'DISTANCE of RELATIONSHIP'. The movie itself says in front of all faces from its semi-title, 'chain of short stories about distance'. There were not much different from your understanding of the movie and mine. It's only matter of fact that who is more impressed with that interpretation, or not.

There is no such thing of having a 'bad' taste. Whether someone rates all the eechis 10, whether someone rates all the sad movies 1, it doesn't matter.

Finally, if you don't like stuff because of a sad story, I really am going to question your intelligence. Making you feel happy isn't the only way something can be enjoyable.
Assumption is bad... >_> I've already watched plenty of sad animes if you don't know... and I never rated it bad; always higher than average.

Again, we are just repeating everything we've said before in the past post. Now, I can really say nothing but ranting on 'having a different taste is ok issue', since I've already mentioned I have same understanding as yours but I just wasn't impressed enough about that.

Internet argument.
ringoo4Mar 14, 2010 9:27 AM
Mar 14, 2010 3:35 AM
Mar 2008
Destinyisours said:
draker said:
1st chapter blew me away
2nd chapter, at first I thought it was a completely different story lmao, but I liked it
I'm disappointed and depressed. I was going to give it a 9, but I'll settle it at 7. I wish I didn't see this.

It didnt ruin anything.

Trust me, I got the story (basically it's "life sucks, but you must go on"), but the way it was performed ruined everything.
They could spend just 5 more minutes developing 3rd chapter, but everything that was built up till that moment was concluded w/o saying much.
I was like "wtf? that's it?" when credits started rolling.
another_anonMar 14, 2010 10:15 AM
Mar 14, 2010 5:55 AM
Dec 2008
Destinyisours said:
draker said:
1st chapter blew me away

It didnt ruin anything.

Jeez, get off your high horse. People experience things and understand things differently. I understand 5 Cm very well but I still do not think the 3rd chapter is as good as the first two. 5 Cm is a very intimate movie so I understand that you feel very passionately about it, but it is obviously possible to grasp a movie and still have problems with it.
Mar 14, 2010 2:11 PM

Oct 2009
Prayermad said:
Destinyisours said:
draker said:
1st chapter blew me away

It didnt ruin anything.

Jeez, get off your high horse. People experience things and understand things differently. I understand 5 Cm very well but I still do not think the 3rd chapter is as good as the first two. 5 Cm is a very intimate movie so I understand that you feel very passionately about it, but it is obviously possible to grasp a movie and still have problems with it.

I totally agree with you, I had absolutely no problem with what draker said. I believe it is a matter of opinion. It is what they feel about something and everyone has their own. You cant change the fact that, "so and so" is what they thought and felt.
AcidfartMar 14, 2010 2:18 PM
Mar 14, 2010 2:19 PM

Mar 2009
draker said:
Destinyisours said:
draker said:
1st chapter blew me away

It didnt ruin anything.

Trust me, I got the story (basically it's "life sucks, but you must go on"), but the way it was performed ruined everything.
They could spend just 5 more minutes developing 3rd chapter, but everything that was built up till that moment was concluded w/o saying much.
I was like "wtf? that's it?" when credits started rolling.

Emm first chapter = physical distance, second = internal distance, third = time as a distance. So how does third part ruin something? It's enough just to show their adult lifes.
Mar 16, 2010 12:17 AM
Jul 2008
It was a really good anime show, though it was very sad. The theme of distance was portrayed rather nicely, but chapter 3 seemed really short, even if was just portraying time.
Mar 16, 2010 5:17 PM

Aug 2009
Thank you for exactly what? :/
Mar 16, 2010 8:59 PM

Oct 2009
ringoo4 said:
For what wolx said silly.
Mar 17, 2010 7:55 PM

Aug 2009
Acidfart said:
ringoo4 said:
For what wolx said silly.
Way to ignore sarcasm. :/
Mar 18, 2010 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
Because, what you guys are saying is just this;

"You guys missed the truth purpose of this anime. Thus, you guys are 'WRONG'."

You know, no-one in this thread missed the point. We all know it clearly. It's not the message with didn't like, it's other elements. However, you guys are ignoring it, and just repeating the same post over and over again.
Mar 18, 2010 11:22 AM

Oct 2009
Can't we all just get along?? >=[
Mar 18, 2010 6:36 PM

Aug 2009
^ it was short for a 'purpose' indeed but in a wrong way.

In that chapter, the direction was building up mood higher and higher, and right at the point where it should have a climax, suddenly song started and showed how things have ended. It's not about message. It's about how those transfer of message failed to actually develop extremely well going mood till ending. Purpose doesn't matter; if the last chapter was falling down because of that 'purpose' that means it was not successful.

Plus, I never said the movie was bad. THe first two chapters were one of the best thing I've ever watched. 7 out of 10 is pretty high on my list too.
Mar 19, 2010 6:05 PM
Jan 2010
The only real criticism I have about this is that I wish they covered Akari's high school life more in depth in the second partl instead of focusing on Takaki for the majority of the part.

I thought the ending was appropriate. It reminded me of a quote from Dr.Seuss "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." The ending exemplifies this quote pretty well. I felt that Takaki was always living in the past hoping to one day, get together with Akari again; but in the last scene, they both recognize each other and in a way meet one more time. Akari doesn't stay unlike Takaki which shows that she has moved on. Takaki realizes this and smiles to himself, knowing that he can move on as well, face the present instead of living in the past and hope for a bright future. Essentially that last smile Takaki gives us at the ending scene shows that he is not "crying" anymore now because it's over and instead is "smiling" because of all the good times the two had back then. However, even though they have moved on I feel that they are both grateful for those times in the past years and would never forget them. I might be over analyzing it or it probably doesn't even make sense to some people here but that's my take on why the ending was appropriate for an anime of this nature.
Mar 20, 2010 5:53 AM

Aug 2009
Destinyisours said:
I see where your getting at, but I still disagree. I think that's the only way it could have ended. What else could have happend? They meet eachother again and everything is fine? That doesn't happen in real life. It was showing how sometimes there is no conclusion lol.
...Why repetition again?... >_> I said 'I liked the ending being realistic'. It was intelligent to end with both of them being separated. The problem I had was how the ending was PRESENTED.

Oh god, please read.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.