Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2009 11:52 PM
Apr 2009
I was disappointed. I expected more. I mean, it's ranked pretty high here. The story was okay and the animation was great.

7/10 for me.
Jul 14, 2009 9:29 AM
Apr 2009
haha Im pissed off of the ending too xD

5CM was a touching movie, specially the first part

like someone state in this forum
the episode are based like this I guess :
1- physical distance
2- mental/emotional distance
3- how far they are to each other even if they are just side by side :(

OMFGGGG but the ending .. I mean I understood the concept and all
but they could of at least make both of them look at each other and end it like that.
... it's because Akari moved on but still .. =[
I wanted at least those two to realize even if we are far away from each other they could still be together no matter how long they have to wait.

lesson I learned :

distance is only a number, what matters is if we could still be side by side
that could be possible if neither of us change. Now I know, no matter what happens to the girl that I love, I'll follow her despite everything.
Jul 15, 2009 9:51 PM
Feb 2009
I absolutely loved it! I felt sad that the two lovers could not end up with each other but it was a fitting ending imo. Too be honest after Takaki moved I thought they woudl still continue to communicate with letters. I also found the music in the third episode to be a little surprising I certainly wasn't expecting it after watching the first two episodes.

But yea life sucks :( they were seperated and as time passed the distance between them slowly grew until one of them decided to move on.
Jul 18, 2009 12:23 AM

Jan 2009
I absolutely dont get this movie, i understand all the concepts and themes but to me it was fairly empty. Ive seen the promised place in our early days, now that moved me.
Needs more Drill Hair.
Jul 20, 2009 9:13 PM
Jul 2009
i dont know if everyone here knew this but the english dub on the us dvd release is different than the dub released on crunchyroll. The one on crunchyroll was redubbed by bandai to commerate the director earlyer this year. i would like to hear the redub but cannot find it anywhere and crunchyroll no longer hay the file availble for play for me does anyone here know a way to get ahold of the file?
Jul 26, 2009 6:25 PM
Apr 2008
Its BS that i watched this show in painfully crappy quality megavideo player...that definety payed a huge role in ruining it for me.

But yeah wat was with the glasses chick...i had and have no idea wat that was about?
Jul 27, 2009 6:26 AM

May 2009
franco90 said:
Its BS that i watched this show in painfully crappy quality megavideo player...that definety payed a huge role in ruining it for me.

But yeah wat was with the glasses chick...i had and have no idea wat that was about?

This movie must be seen in HD. ;D And the "glasses chick" was the woman with whom Takaki was going out but stopped. Or are you looking for something more? Oo
Aug 6, 2009 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
The story and how the authors put very detailed thoughts on the movie along with the characters was just brilliant even for a short 3 episodes. The plot was very emotional and this is 1 of the anime that let us be moved and the feeling while watching as just teary

1. Takaki is now a computer programmer in Tokyo but quits soon
2. Akari is preparing to get married, not with Takaki if you see the theme song when Akari was still young she was with someone a guy with a black coat
3. Kanae was laying on the ocean water next to her surfboard

Finale:
All 3 characters have gone their seperate lives

The authors puts real situation here, no miracles to happen, he continues to make the story in reality. But it was very sad that in the end Akari and Takaki never see each other even if they have seperate lives now. But the story is just amazing
ZinvyAug 6, 2009 10:35 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 17, 2009 10:46 PM

Aug 2009
An okay ending but would've been better if it had a happy ending. But overall I really enjoyed the movie.
Aug 19, 2009 11:14 AM

Jun 2009
This film right here is an example of anime as an art form. The way Shinkai takes a fairly simple concept and successfully molds his characters to express his central themes is just utterly amazing. He is definitely one of the best directors of this decade. 5 CM is downright his best work (and it doesn't really help that I could totally relate with the MC--based on personal experience: NO, AKARI! ;_;).
Aug 26, 2009 3:26 PM

Aug 2009
Sure, the ending is more realistic, but ...I don't like it.
Aug 31, 2009 12:26 PM

May 2008
This is what the letter said:

Taken from this post on AnimeSuki.
Dermatitus have plagued men for millenia. Peace, THERE IS NO CURE.
Sep 5, 2009 10:39 AM

May 2008
5 centimeters will always be my favorite anime movie..even though most people hated the ending,but that's what makes the movie special....

Sep 6, 2009 7:07 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
I enjoyed watching the movies. Too bad Takaki and Akari couldn't be together in the end. :[

Sep 12, 2009 8:36 AM

Mar 2009
Wow really good end. :)
Sep 12, 2009 3:50 PM

Jan 2009
I wouldn't say good end but realistic end.They deserved to be together :'(
Sep 13, 2009 6:27 PM

Aug 2009
Holy motherfucker, After I rewatched this episode, I've finally came up with an conclusion.

Long distance relationships never works.
Fucking Akari, didn't wait for Takaki. I guess her love is not that strong, unlike Takaki, which is uber strong.
9/10 for me. Great work indeed.
MoonfrostSep 13, 2009 6:43 PM
Sep 15, 2009 8:17 AM

Mar 2009
Got my hands on 1080p version of this movie, and i must say this was probably the most beautiful thing i've ever seen in the field of anime. Story and visuals counting.

Even though the ending wasn't the happiest one, it left me with kind of warm feeling.The song and recapping at end was great, too. Oh boy, great... simply great.

10/10

Oct 8, 2009 9:22 PM

Jun 2009
yes after watching this movie seems like everyone has become an Akari hater=[.
Girls dont like waiting afterall :(
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Oct 10, 2009 8:27 PM

Sep 2009
Moonfrost said:
Holy motherfucker, After I rewatched this episode, I've finally came up with an conclusion.

Long distance relationships never works.
Fucking Akari, didn't wait for Takaki. I guess her love is not that strong, unlike Takaki, which is uber strong.
9/10 for me. Great work indeed.

I super agree. I think the greatness of this movie was the ending. You will remember an ending like this plus its more realistic.
Oct 10, 2009 9:17 PM

Apr 2008
I liked it, but it was hard for me to really feel sorry for these characters when the mood of the movie stays so somber at all times.
Oct 11, 2009 4:13 PM
Jan 2009
I loved the animation for this movie. Especially the skies.

I would've just been happy if they had actually seen each other at the end and then the train comes, but I'll take what I got. This was a really great movie.
Oct 12, 2009 6:27 PM

Jul 2009
yeai thought the ending was really good but i cant help but feel bad for akari and takaki lol...
Oct 24, 2009 1:13 PM

Oct 2009
It hurts. But that's how life is sometimes.
We just have to move on. ^_^

I loved the Movie *O* One of my favourites. The Animation was superb, I loved the Cherry Blossoms, the stars, everything. The Music Video was solid too. The Anime does have an impact, as none of us can never forget the scene where Takaki and Akari crossed the railway path, and Akari didn't even look back.

You kinda feel bad for Takaki. *sighs* Long Distance relationships don't really work !_!

Oct 25, 2009 2:09 PM

Aug 2009
This movie really helped me move on with my life
Oct 29, 2009 4:43 PM

Mar 2009
deadskin said:

just finished this uber-emo anime, and damn! it was a good one. i hope takaki finally understood and moves on wid his life.

@deadskin
is that wat was really writen on the letter ?? it was never shown on the movie tho.
Oct 29, 2009 9:52 PM

Aug 2008
I was just wondering if anyone knew if the place(s) pictured in the second part (Cosmonaut) is an actual place/setting in Japan, or purely fictional?

Never mind, I found out that it takes place on Tanegashima Island.
PilipinoGuy2kOct 29, 2009 10:02 PM
Nov 4, 2009 9:29 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I can officially testify to this piece of art.

twas amazing.

Surprisingly interesting for such a mellow mood.
Nov 5, 2009 3:52 PM
Aug 2009
This really was a work of art. The animation was amazing, the music was engaging, and story was stunning.

I think the message of the movie is that one should seize the opportunity, for times won't last. Do not forget the past, but do not let it hold you down. People are not static and must change over time. I'm frustrated with Takaki, he could have been with Akari had he expressed himself properly or given his letter. He could have been with another person who really loved him, Sumida, but he was too locked in the past. Ultimately, he becomes unhappy, as he cannot move beyond his past emotions.

The emotions and message in this movie really make it a masterpiece. It is truly a remarkable film that rightfully won the award for best anime movie in 07.
Nov 11, 2009 5:29 PM

Jul 2008
CherryHawk said:
This movie really helped me move on with my life

Same here :)
*sigh of relief!
Nov 13, 2009 8:17 PM

Nov 2009
This really is a masterpiece, but it's unfortunate so many people misunderstand this.

First off, a few issues about what actually happened need to be addressed. Neither of these kids had cell phones. It was, at the very latest, mid 1990s when they met that final time. Not only were cell phones not very common then, but they were kids, as well. You saw him using the home phone and her using a phone booth to talk only a year earlier. Thus, as the letter writing dried up, they were out of contact for good (it looks like she, at least, moved again in between that meeting and graduation). The chance of seeing each other again was slim to none. Notice how the song goes on about looking for the other everywhere even though they know it's ridiculous.

Both Akari and Takaki had no option but to move on. And, they did. She's obviously engaged, and he's dated various girls. However, moving on is not the same as getting over or forgetting about, and that's really what this movie is about. It's about the distance between them. Whether it be physical separation (Takaki and Akari) or emotional (Takaki and Kanae). It's important to note that this distance is largely out of the person's control. Takaki's and Akari's distance is created by their parents' jobs. The letter is not forgotten by Takaki or simply not given to Akari. It's ripped out of his hands by the wind, by nature. Similarly, Takaki's heart is already with Akari by the time Kanae even mets him. He's looking elsewhere before she even has a chance to fall for him. There is an incredible amount of inevitability in all of this. It's out of their control. They're naturally floating apart like cherry blossom petals falling to the ground (See the theme!?!?).

Still, their loves continue, and that's also a major part of the move. Their love dealing with this distance. Each of them cope differently. Each of them hang on despite it. And yet, each one moves forward, too. They soar upwards, constantly, like the birds soaring through the empty sky or the rocketship blasting into space, reaching out for that love as they speed forward. The ending isn't sad. Really, it's uplifting. Takaki is smiling as he walks away from those train tracks: ( http://blog.ephemeraleternity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/5-centimeters-per-second-5.jpg ). It is about all of that: cherishing what you had, wishing the best for the future, but still soaring forward in space like a cosmonaut, or falling through the air at 5 cm/s, whichever you prefer.

I know plenty of you picked up on this, but all of the "OMG why didn't Takaki end up with Akari!?!?!?" posts really get to me, as they miss the point of the movie entirely.
Nov 20, 2009 6:33 AM

Sep 2008
I watched this movie a long time ago and never really got around to posting here.

Well I don't want to sound like a douche but, this movie was absolutely atrocious. It was indeed beautifully animated and super pleasant to look at but the whole thing was just so bloody boring.

It simply couldn't get any slower paced. 5 cm per second my ass. It's more like 5 goddamn mm per century.

An entire hour or so of melancholy and minimum plot progression. That's what this was. Reminds me of the 2nd Kara no Kyoukai movie actually. The entire movie wasted it's time showing us pretty scenes while doing nothing for the plot.

I remember I read somewhere where someone said this movie had an incredibly amount of content per minute. That gave me some good laughs.

Only reason I ever bothered with this movie was because someone said the random guy who made it was on Miyazaki's level. What a joke.
5layerNov 20, 2009 6:37 AM
Nov 20, 2009 2:53 PM

Nov 2009
5layer said:
I watched this movie a long time ago and never really got around to posting here.

Well I don't want to sound like a douche but, this movie was absolutely atrocious. It was indeed beautifully animated and super pleasant to look at but the whole thing was just so bloody boring.

It simply couldn't get any slower paced. 5 cm per second my ass. It's more like 5 goddamn mm per century.

An entire hour or so of melancholy and minimum plot progression. That's what this was. Reminds me of the 2nd Kara no Kyoukai movie actually. The entire movie wasted it's time showing us pretty scenes while doing nothing for the plot.

I remember I read somewhere where someone said this movie had an incredibly amount of content per minute. That gave me some good laughs.

Only reason I ever bothered with this movie was because someone said the random guy who made it was on Miyazaki's level. What a joke.

You missed the entire point of the movie. Please don't embarrass yourself by posting again. It's not about the plot. It's about relationships, separation, and all those other themes I mentioned in my previous post. It's like most pieces of literature: the plot isn't the point at all. You're clearly not into that sort of intellectual thing, so you should probably steer clear of 5 Centimeters Per Second and this board.
Nov 20, 2009 4:32 PM
Aug 2009
That's quite harsh...
Yes, this movie is not for everyone, albeit one could be more diplomatic. The film could only be considered boring if one does not understand, or rather, recognize the significance and meaning that the director put into each and every scene. There is much more going on than can be taken at face value. So, rather than someone claim the work worthless, one should understand the fact that one is not a fan of the genre, rather than decry the work.
Nov 21, 2009 6:21 AM

Oct 2009
Indeed a great work of art. The kind of ending to be expected.

The animation,drama,points and lines captivated me. Exceeds being beautiful.

If the ending were to be Tohno and Akari getting together,the movie will obviously disappoint me. But it didn't.
Nov 21, 2009 4:04 PM

Sep 2008
tarheel91 said:
You missed the entire point of the movie. Please don't embarrass yourself by posting again. It's not about the plot. It's about relationships, separation, and all those other themes I mentioned in my previous post. It's like most pieces of literature: the plot isn't the point at all. You're clearly not into that sort of intellectual thing, so you should probably steer clear of 5 Centimeters Per Second and this board.
Oh I see what you did there. You are picking on my intelligence for hating on this overrated piece of trash correct? Thinking I'm somehow embarrassing myself by not going along with the rest of the fanboys? You're probably also expecting other people to support your opinion because this is the episode discussion for this movie. Well good luck with that.

I got the themes of this movie. But it's not my fault really that those themes were not only boring, but presented in the most boring way imaginable. When I say plot, I mean stuff that happens. Which includes the conveying of themes for me because they are often conveyed through plot. Maybe this movie should learn to convey it's themes at a pace that doesn't make me feel like I'm in a warped dimension where time flows slower than super glue at a 1 degree slope.

Lucid_Yume said:
That's quite harsh...
Yes, this movie is not for everyone, albeit one could be more diplomatic. The film could only be considered boring if one does not understand, or rather, recognize the significance and meaning that the director put into each and every scene. There is much more going on than can be taken at face value. So, rather than someone claim the work worthless, one should understand the fact that one is not a fan of the genre, rather than decry the work.
I didn't say it's worthless. But it's definitely not Mr Moneybags either. I'm not a fan of the genre but there's been anime of every genre (even the ones I hate) that have proven my general hating opinion on that genre wrong. This movie definitely did not accomplish that.
Nov 21, 2009 7:16 PM

Nov 2009
5layer said:
tarheel91 said:
Oh I see what you did there. You are picking on my intelligence for hating on this overrated piece of trash correct? Thinking I'm somehow embarrassing myself by not going along with the rest of the fanboys? You're probably also expecting other people to support your opinion because this is the episode discussion for this movie. Well good luck with that.

I got the themes of this movie. But it's not my fault really that those themes were not only boring, but presented in the most boring way imaginable. When I say plot, I mean stuff that happens. Which includes the conveying of themes for me because they are often conveyed through plot. Maybe this movie should learn to convey it's themes at a pace that doesn't make me feel like I'm in a warped dimension where time flows slower than super glue at a 1 degree slope.

No where did I say anything about your intelligence. I simply said you weren't into this intellectual stuff. There are plenty of intelligent people who don't enjoy/can't appreciate works of art. Would you be offended if someone said you clearly aren't into literary books where nothing happens either? Did you enjoy Hamlet? Mrs. Dalloway? The Sound and The Fury? Those sort of books are analogous to 5 CM Per Second in that the plot isn't central to the point of each respective piece of art.

Honestly, the only way you could find it boring is if you missed the point of the movie. No scene is unnecessary. Every image is full of value. However, if you don't see that value, you're going to find it slow and boring because nothing's happening from your perspective. There is only one scene that feels like it's stretching on forever, and that's the whole train trip. However, that's intentional. It was to convey Tohno's feelings at the time. I'm sure you could agree that if you were going to see your significant other that you hadn't seen in six months, delays like the ones he faced would be almost unbearable. At the same time, it continues the theme of the separation being unavoidable, completely out of their control, as it's almost as if nature itself is against them.
Nov 22, 2009 5:08 AM

Sep 2008
tarheel91 said:
No where did I say anything about your intelligence. I simply said you weren't into this intellectual stuff. There are plenty of intelligent people who don't enjoy/can't appreciate works of art. Would you be offended if someone said you clearly aren't into literary books where nothing happens either? Did you enjoy Hamlet? Mrs. Dalloway? The Sound and The Fury? Those sort of books are analogous to 5 CM Per Second in that the plot isn't central to the point of each respective piece of art.

Honestly, the only way you could find it boring is if you missed the point of the movie. No scene is unnecessary. Every image is full of value. However, if you don't see that value, you're going to find it slow and boring because nothing's happening from your perspective. There is only one scene that feels like it's stretching on forever, and that's the whole train trip. However, that's intentional. It was to convey Tohno's feelings at the time. I'm sure you could agree that if you were going to see your significant other that you hadn't seen in six months, delays like the ones he faced would be almost unbearable. At the same time, it continues the theme of the separation being unavoidable, completely out of their control, as it's almost as if nature itself is against them.
First of all, this is not an intellectual anime. Anyone who thinks it is has obviously never seen anything intellectual. Secondly, I do appreciate works of art. But I expect them to be of a quality to suffice my expectations. If the character is feeling melancholic, depressed and bored half-to-death, I don't really think I want to feel that way while watching the movie. I want to see the character going through a boring experience, not be put into one myself.
Nov 22, 2009 3:49 PM

Nov 2009
5layer said:
tarheel91 said:

First of all, this is not an intellectual anime. Anyone who thinks it is has obviously never seen anything intellectual. Secondly, I do appreciate works of art. But I expect them to be of a quality to suffice my expectations. If the character is feeling melancholic, depressed and bored half-to-death, I don't really think I want to feel that way while watching the movie. I want to see the character going through a boring experience, not be put into one myself.

That's a pretty bold statement you made there. I think you'd be surprised to know my old high school english teacher, who has a doctorate in English and his masters in Music Theory, thought it was a masterpiece. Did I mention he's also a film buff who's seen more movies and knows more about cinema in general than either of us ever will?

I can assure you he's read, heard, and watched plenty of intellectual stuff. I myself have read plenty of "intellectual" books; I'm fairly confident I've read far more literature than you. Have you even read half the books I gave as examples in the first paragraph? This isn't an issue of 5 Centimeters not being intelligent; it's an issue of it going right over your head. I've already revealed a lot of that "intellectual" side of 5 Centimeters Per Second in my first post. Go ahead and check that out. I've already made my argument in defense of the show. Can you come up with anything beyond "ZOMG this show was soooo slow and boring; it has no point" to refute what I said? Cause, I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to pass as evidence in any sort of intellectual discussion.

Edit: Just saw your complaint about the train. It'd be understandable if you were complaining about the whole movie being like that, but it's a five minute scene. Really, though, you're just getting fussy over diction. See vs. experience. It's all part of the viewing experience. If the length of the scene isn't conveyed, it's hard to justify his impatience, and his fear that both he won't see her and that she's still waiting for him. That conflict, of his selfish desire to see her, and his love for her wishing she'd go home is pretty important, and it hinges on understanding the length of that train ride.
tarheel91Nov 22, 2009 3:52 PM
Nov 22, 2009 8:03 PM

Sep 2008
tarheel91 said:
That's a pretty bold statement you made there. I think you'd be surprised to know my old high school english teacher, who has a doctorate in English and his masters in Music Theory, thought it was a masterpiece. Did I mention he's also a film buff who's seen more movies and knows more about cinema in general than either of us ever will?

I can assure you he's read, heard, and watched plenty of intellectual stuff. I myself have read plenty of "intellectual" books; I'm fairly confident I've read far more literature than you. Have you even read half the books I gave as examples in the first paragraph? This isn't an issue of 5 Centimeters not being intelligent; it's an issue of it going right over your head. I've already revealed a lot of that "intellectual" side of 5 Centimeters Per Second in my first post. Go ahead and check that out. I've already made my argument in defense of the show. Can you come up with anything beyond "ZOMG this show was soooo slow and boring; it has no point" to refute what I said? Cause, I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to pass as evidence in any sort of intellectual discussion.

Edit: Just saw your complaint about the train. It'd be understandable if you were complaining about the whole movie being like that, but it's a five minute scene. Really, though, you're just getting fussy over diction. See vs. experience. It's all part of the viewing experience. If the length of the scene isn't conveyed, it's hard to justify his impatience, and his fear that both he won't see her and that she's still waiting for him. That conflict, of his selfish desire to see her, and his love for her wishing she'd go home is pretty important, and it hinges on understanding the length of that train ride.
Oh yeah I'm sorry, since some random teacher you know says it's a masterpiece then it MUST be a masterpiece cause everything he says about art MUST be the truth. I didn't realise this fact and must be wrong then.

Oh, so if someone has seen a trillion terrible shows/movies/anime then that makes their opinion on any show correct? Is that it? It's not quantity that matters I'm afraid, it's the quality. The fact you brought in such an argument definitely shows me that you are indeed into "intellectual" discussions.

The stuff is going over my head? I think not. It's going through my head, at an incredibly boring pace. Not to mention the stuff going through it happens to be boring as hell making it even worse.

You're fairly confident you've read more books than me? Maybe so. I'm however fairly confident you weren't moved up 2 years at school because you were a considered a genius by everyone around you. Do I really need to bring stuff like that into this discussion to make myself look like an arrogant prick? I don't want to, and you shouldn't have to bring in arrogance into things like these either.

It wasn't just the train. From what I recall, almost every scene in the movie was like that. If it was just the train, I'd probably have loved this movie but...no. Theres always film techniques that can be used to show the passing of time so that the viewers don't have to get bored. Maybe this director didn't know what a montage was until the very ending where he slapped together the final scenes which were the only thing decent in this movie.

Honestly, why am I even bothering holding this argument here. Do I have better things to do? I think so. I wasn't really expecting anyone to even reply to what I initially said. Probably mistake on my behalf to bring in my opinion into a place where it's not needed. So I really don't want to bother coming back here again. I'll read your reply to this, but don't expect anything back. Sorry for wasting your time.
Nov 22, 2009 8:34 PM

Jan 2009
5layer said:

Yes it's slow paced, but there is nothing wrong with slow paced things. It took it's time to play out on the actual distance between everyone(As tarheel91 said). The director wanted you to know that what was happening is out of their control, no matter what the distance just keeps increasing.

I think maybe going back and reading tarheel91 first post before he started attacking you(Which i do not agree with any of his points after his first post). I am not saying you have to like it, because you clearly aren't into slow paced shows(Going on the fact TTGL is in your favorites), but you should at least try to understand why this movie was actually good.
Nov 23, 2009 6:58 AM
Dec 2008
this is clearly ridiculous and you people should not be allowed to type things

i think

but don't listen to me

anyway, this film is not slow paced at all. if you think otherwise you're simply not used to anything that isn't fast paced. most anime has almost unbearable pacing.
5 cm p s is for those fragile, lonely, pathetic pieces of shit out there. like me. if it doesn't evoke sadness in you, you're simply not attracted to the the base that 5 cm lies grounded on. so what? it has nothing to do with intelligence. i wish people would stop saying that certain things are 'intelligent'

like i mentioned, this masterwork is clearly aimed at angsty, lonely, fragile human beings. teenagers. but even teen stuff has merit, and this simply cannot be bettered.
Nov 23, 2009 10:49 PM

Nov 2009
Lemme quickly respond to the train thing. You missed the point. It's not about the passing of time; it's about Tohno's feelings as I said earlier. To understand his feelings, we don't just need to know it's taking a long time, we need to understand how that large amount of time is affecting him. It's crushing; it's endless; it's sapping his strength. Worst of all, there's nothing he can do. It's completely out of control. You don't get any of that by fading out as he leaves and fading back in as he arrives.

Now, on to the rest of your post. Do you understand what a doctorate is? That's the highest degree you can acquire. He's received the title doctor for a reason. I agree that quality is important, and that's why those degrees are relevant. They require you to be familiar with all of the most highly regarded pieces in each of their respective fields. When I say film buff, again, I'm not saying he's constantly at the movies watching whatever Hollywood churns out. Rather, I'm saying he's seen more movies of exceptional quality than either of us ever will. He knows more about film (and literary, and musical) techniques than either of us ever will. He is a far greater authority on something like this for that exact reason.

I didn't say I was fairly confident I've read more books than you. I said I was fairly confident I've read more pieces of literature than you. Big difference. If you're not aware of the difference, that only makes you look worse trying to trash something like this movie.

I'm not saying you have to be hyper-intelligent to get this movie. I'm saying it's an intellectual movie, one whose purpose isn't to entertain with some sappy love story or fast-moving plot. Rather, it raises questions about how we interact and grow apart from one another. Those questions are intellectual in nature, and if you're not into that sort of thing, you're simply not going to enjoy the movie, and the point of it is going to go right over your head.

Never once did I suggest you weren't intelligent. I simply said you most likely weren't into this sort of intellectual stuff. Do you enjoy stuff like Hamlet, Mrs. Dalloway, or The Heart of Darkness? If not, you're probably not going to enjoy 5 CM Per Second. That does not make it a bad move, though. That makes it a movie whose target audience ISN'T you.

I'm not going to get into an e-penis battle comparing our academic records or IQ scores trying to argue who's smarter. It's not really relevant. As I said, you don't have to be hyper-intelligent to understand this movie, but its focus is of an intellectual nature. Really, it's a study in sociology as a piece of art.

@Prayermad: The message isn't a depressing one, though. That's what makes your whole angsty teen thing not really work. Lemme quote myself again:

"The ending isn't sad. Really, it's uplifting. Takaki is smiling as he walks away from those train tracks: ( http://blog.ephemeraleternity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/5-centimeters-per-second-5.jpg ). It is about all of that: cherishing what you had, wishing the best for the future, but still soaring forward in space like a cosmonaut, or falling through the air at 5 cm/s, whichever you prefer."
tarheel91Nov 23, 2009 10:53 PM
Nov 28, 2009 12:54 PM

Jul 2008
eggxbacon said:
deadskin said:

just finished this uber-emo anime, and damn! it was a good one. i hope takaki finally understood and moves on wid his life.

@deadskin
is that wat was really writen on the letter ?? it was never shown on the movie tho.

It was, there's a novel that Makato Shinkai wrote after the film and he explained a lot of details that help filling in the missing/unclear parts of the movie. Moreover, the 3rd part (which's the shortest one in the film and left so many things to our own imagination) became the longest one in the book. It's such a satisfying read after having watched the movie. Anyone should be interested can read the highlights of all 3 parts in translated version from LH Yeung's blog here: http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/5-centimetres-per-second-novel
-kirin-Jun 29, 2010 12:20 PM
Nov 30, 2009 11:59 PM
Sep 2009
tl;dr
get over yourselves
Dec 4, 2009 2:22 AM
Dec 2008
etternus said:
LoL...even if you wanna prove that ur right, its not the right place to do it, use mp, or an IM if its necessary :P

i think this:
tarheel91 said:

wasnt a nice thing to say, also starts an unwanted discussion, so, try to not write ur words in a way that can be misunderstood

and about the movie, well...i really like some dramas with a point...but i hardly disagree with the vision of "THE DISTANCE CAN BROKE U EVEN IF U FIGHT AGAINST", and, thats what happens in the movie...

the movie, like everybody says, has some very good points to discuss, but for me, the entire message of this movie, well...pointless...thats all

what's the love? what love can change? what Tohno fight for? think about...
he doesnt...

i'm not going to read any more of this bullshit because it should be very clear to anyone who is not a complete numbnut that you have no idea what you are talking about. your only valid point is that you got nothing out of watching 5 cm p s, more power to you for that. but don't go and tell US that it's pointless. you clearly need to be spoonfed with some sort of easy to follow plot. i'm sorry for sounding harsh but you said all of this yourself, you're simply looking for things that do not exist in this movie, please stop making a fool out of yourself
Dec 5, 2009 2:08 PM

Nov 2009
etternus said:
well...like i said, its only my opinion, i dont really want anyone here agreed with me, i said that?

i wont discuss with u becuz it ll be another "long nonsense" talk...

learn to respect other ppls opinions...i wont be mad if u just show the points u disagree, so i can maybe change my mind, but my first impression is what i wrote, u just increase my impression that this movie has lots of fan boys who judge others like this: "U DONT KNOW NOTHING! U ARE DUMB AND IM THE PRO! U SUX! 5 CM ROX!"

whats the point in being right?
learn some basic concepts of psychology and dont forget too the " how to put ur mind in words without soundin like a dumbass" lesson...
u dont need to be sry for being harsh becus nonsense talk is like nothing to me...

plus, i rewatched some parts in the movie, and the same points that i observed in the first time watching increase my impression...

and just to finish, Prayermad, i know u probably liked the movie, so i just ask to you, to understand that what i wrote is like an "IMO" depoiment, what i maded very clear in my post

dont kill ppl becuz of they different thoughts

live happy, use ur head, thats all ;)

1. Please don't tell anyone to take any class when your mastery of the English language is so weak some online translators make more sense than you.

2. Respect is earned or lost. Sure, we should give everything a reasonable amount of respect from the get go, but when an opinion shows itself as ignorant and worthless, it doesn't deserve respect. I hate how people have twisted the right to have an opinion into the right for that opinion to be respected. You can think whatever you want, but don't go shouting it at other people and expect them to take you seriously, especially when it's as nonsensical and stupid as yours.

Again, you not finding a point in the movie is not the movie's fault, but your own. The great majority of viewers can see the value of and purpose behind this movie. When that's the case, just don't post here instead of making yourself look like an idiot by trying to argue that everyone else is somehow wrong. I don't get post modern art, but I don't try to tell everyone who like's it they're stupid. They get it; I don't. I'm not going to try to butt into the discussion about it.
Dec 9, 2009 12:15 PM

Oct 2009
Absolutely amazing. I was a bit skeptical after the first part, but this ending was beautiful. It teaches us something and really makes you think about life's decisions...
Dec 16, 2009 2:41 AM
Jul 2009
5layer said:
Oh I see what you did there. You are picking on my intelligence for hating on this overrated piece of trash correct?

5layer said:
I didn't say it's worthless. But it's definitely not Mr Moneybags either.

I like how you called 5CM/s an "overrated piece of trash" only to later claim that "I didn't say it's worthless". Clearly the usage and semantics of words applies differently for you.

Apparently the movie I enjoyed along with many others was in fact a piece of trash. This has been rather eye opening for me.
Dec 28, 2009 12:09 AM

May 2008
cyruz said:
I just watched the Parade sub, which was well done I thought and contains all 3 chapters.

I didn't fully understand the last 2 chapters, but I've never seen anything as beautiful as this so I rated it a 9.

It really was beautiful huh? Amazing scenery.

OmegaJudgement said:
The way i see the ending

The women in the office was Kanae who finally confessed her love for Takaki. He turned her down since he was still expecting to go with Akari little does he know Akari has gotten engaged and when they meet for the next time she is going to tell him that.

So now he doesn't have Akari or Kanae and is going to die a lonely death from lung cancer (smoking kills!)

OOoooh ok... sometimes I got Kanae and Akari mixed up. That seems to make more sense. Very sad stuff, but amazing to watch. 9/10
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.